Far Cry 3 PC

8.3

1. Dec 7, 2012
    Disappointing. The pros:
    Great story telling, solid driving and moving mechanics, the tattoo system is fun.
    The cons: where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the
    Disappointing. The pros:

The cons:
    where to start? The game is way too easy, the enemy spotting system is too lax, especially on hard. If you're more than 50 feet away, cover is irrelevant, I've avoided being spotted in the middle of a clearing or on a beach simply by being crouched. Even though the enemy was looking dead at me and I had zero cover. Money is way too easy to get. Missions, loot boxes, corpses, selling loot items all give you tons of cash and radio towers unlock expensive weapons for free. I had the best weapons within 1-2 hours of play time. The button to pick up/swap weapons is the same as the loot button, resulting in a ton of time spent dancing around a corpse trying not to swap your FAMAS with his crappy AK just so you can loot a crumpled pack of cigarettes and 10 bucks. The voice acting for people is really inconsistent, half the islanders have a British accent. Hunting is AWFUL, animals have no kill zones, aka: no head shots or heart shots, meaning if you head shot a bear, or pretty much any other animal with a .308, he's just going to run you down and rip you to shreds. This means that the only way to hunt effectively is to bring along an LMG and riddle your prey with hundreds of bullets. Laughable. Not to mention, your character constantly whines "gross" every time you skin a kill. This makes sense the first 50 times or so he skins an animal, but after 30 hours of play time and hundreds of animals skinned, listening to your character whine about skinning gets very, very old. If you fail a mission, it will restart you in a predetermined location. This may not feel like a huge deal at first, but sometimes this method will drop you in an approach to a mission you absolutely would not have taken and probably didn't plan for. There were times I did something stupid and died, carrying a sniper rifle, bow and silenced pistol only to be respawned on the flat side of a map, where I had approached the mission initially from a cliff. The ability to sleep is gone, taking the dynamic of night and day away, which I feel was a real downgrade from far cry 2. This leads me into my next section on the experience. It's simply not as good. It's true that FC2 had its share of issues and frustrations, hyper-aware, laserbeam accurate enemies and checkpoints that respawned in what felt like seconds were huge gripes. But despite these problems, and perhaps because of them, the game had a really brutal, unforgiving feel. Every foray into the world was an event you planned for, you carefully managed your limited ammo supply, you waited for just the right time of day, you knew that your weapons could and would eventually fail you, you learned not to trust crappy, rusted weapons found laying around on the ground. Every mission was an exercise in planning and adaptability. You couldn't carry an LMG, a sniper rifle, an RPG and an assault rifle all at once like you can in FC3, so you had to play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses as best as possible. You had to be patient in stressful situations and fire fights because running around like Rambo was likely to get you killed. Virtually all of these things are GONE in FC3 and it's painfully obvious. Now, the game is just another exercise in sprinting endlessly (you can do that now) around a tropical island (again) and firing curtains of lead until your enemies are dead. And let's face it, we've all played that game before.
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, this game is just way too easy. Tried hardcore mode on my first go with almost no problems at all. Intense storyline and voice acting along with wonderful scenery though. However, Farcry 3 really doesn't deserve such a high rating in my opinion. As soon as I bought my first sniper rifle, every single mission/camp was a breeze. The boss fights left me quite confused and was unsatisfactory due to the 'cutscenes' which forced you to press a button every couple seconds. Enjoyable game but really not worth its price just because it was simply too easy. Glad I didn't spend money on it lol. =) Expand
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    Rating this game is pretty difficult since with high expectations a let down often results in even poorer sometimes unfair grades. Ill try to be as fair as i can though.
    I liked the atmosphere of the game and since i am not a pro fps player i can kill quite some time with killing stupid npcs that have a worse reactions than my granny. Like in for example Prototype just running around ( litterally, since our hero is quite fast with all those guns and stuff) killing stuff is fun and if you dont look at all the maps and quest directions the islands are pretty well designed giving off a nice flair. Wildlife in general is way more scary than npcs especially certain water animals but wearing a shotgun eventually reliefes you of your fear of most animals. I wouldnt take the crafting system too seriously because except for the syringes rather than real crafting its more like upgrading very few predefined things like ammo pouches or quivers and its only working once so before long you only need to craft healing items anymore.
    Anyways i could live with all of this but i have to deduct quite a few points for bugs and/or illogical game play and game design decisions. First off, the looting is horrible and makes you switch weapons with the dead rather then taking their money. Same with skinning dead animals. It looks like the collisions are totally off at this point and this really is annoying and takes up too much time. Another huge setback is the UI. At times it litterally clobbers at you with information but when you really need it like you shot an animal and now need to look for it lying in 3 feet high grass its not helping and you can search for hours before you realize its despawned by now. Oh and whatever you do, try to avoid vehicles. Boats are kind of okay-ish i guess but almost any land vehicle gives off worse handling than an aircraft turbine powered hovercraft would have. Probably this is why even friendly NPCs may kill you by accident when you walk on the streets. I could probably go on a little more but there really are some fun things too. The world itself behaves pretty random and funny sometimes. A nice example was an enemy in a car hitting a goat on the street ending up exploding on a tree starting a fire which burned down a enemy base. Now thats bad luck!
    I am still giving 7 out of 10 because there is a lot potential in this one and i am really curious about what mods the community will create. Yes i had fun.
    PS I did not mention the story at all because its a shooter. Yes there is a story and its not really worth mentioning. Are you REALLY surprised??

Over all:
    Graphics 8/10 (setback water)
    Audio 9/10 (good soundtrack, nice voice acting i have to admit even if unecessary)
    Gameplay(single player) 7/10 (setbacks low difficulty, no bulletdrop, enemy AI, no real rpg however it tried - still 7/10 because its still fun and big and it has a bow)

Cheers! Biz
  4. Dec 14, 2012
    The game is OK.
    It lacks the depth that far cry 2 had and very quickly becomes repetitive. The graphics are OK, again compared to fc2 when that came out..disappointing. A lot of the things I liked from fc2 have been removed in favour of suiting child like play styles, which given the language in this game, leaves me confused.
    Then there's the storyline, some spoilt rich kid all of a
    The game is OK.
    Then there's the storyline, some spoilt rich kid all of a sudden overnight learns how to skin animals, make rucksacks, ammo pouches etc, and is instantly proficient with any weapon he picks up! This IMO, makes it very hard to become the character.

That said, the driving is much better in this and then side missions can be fun, dragging you away from they monotamous repetitavness that is the main SL.

7/10 as at least is a relatively good game unlike most the dross released lately, just REALLY annoyed they dumbed the game down.
  5. Dec 14, 2012
    I was not impressed by the latest Farcry release. When I first began the game it immediately reminded me of Just Cause 2. Both open world FPS games which drop you in a beautiful island in dire straights. Farcry 3 carries a more of a survival theme however and starts off catchy with a easy to follow cliche plot. When the intro is over and the world opens up to you things become dull andI was not impressed by the latest Farcry release. When I first began the game it immediately reminded me of Just Cause 2. Both open world FPS games which drop you in a beautiful island in dire straights. Farcry 3 carries a more of a survival theme however and starts off catchy with a easy to follow cliche plot. When the intro is over and the world opens up to you things become dull and repetitive. Every animal on the island becomes your next handbag in the pursuit of latching infinitely more weapons to your person. You will literally feel compelled to kill everything you see other than your homies who wear different colored shirts. The bad guys are sometimes easy to miss despite their distinctive outerwear. Baddies will drive past you on the road and do nothing yet sniping one from distant cover alerts your targets entire gang of your position. On the up side, the lighting and effects are on par with other modern FPS games, the combat and weapons are well thought out and there be coop. The only reason I would recommend this game is if you plan to play with your friends. Could be fun to team up with 2 hang gliders and rain fury upon the helpless meth head mercenaries below. Expand
  6. Dec 29, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is an average game at best for me, It claim it have open world element like Skyrim, which it does however it's still pretty linear best. I will make a lot of comparison with Skyrim since they both pretty similar.

If you like me, you will like to sneak, explore, craft, kill, leveling up and story line. The sneaking in Far Cry 3 in my honest opinion is excellent, it's almost the same as Skyrim but maybe easier since whenever someone somewhat looking for you, the indicator will tell you the direction he/she coming from. This makes the game incredibly easier and since the sneak kill reward you more experience with knife kills, it prob the better patch choice but be warn, it will make the game easier. I pretty much cover sneak, kill and leveling up at this point, you can go blazing your way down with guns and rocket launcher but you wont get as much experience that way. The weapons in this game you can achieve easily by controlling them radio tower or purchasing them, if they can put crafting recipe to make AK that will be awesome. One experience that satisfying however when i put land mine and throw stones next to it so enemy can get blown up.

Exploration and crafting probably one of the most important aspect in a open world game. I'm not a fan of collecting all collectibles or achievement in game or steam, I think of them as a gimmick that developer put to make the game more "interesting" or rich of "content", no offense to you guys who likes to do them. The game related exploration however is pretty dull, you can kill certain animals to get their hides or flowers to get their petals(I'm assuming) and craft them to make more extra pouch/bigger wallet, etc. This is a good idea however, after i played for an hour, i realized, i didn't even need them as i took the assassin route. You can use your "First-Aid" and upgrade them like you would do with your other skills thus making herbs/drugs pointless. The same goes with crafting pouches or wallet, if you stealth like person otherwise you do need to go out and hunt some hides to carry more stuffs.

The story in the game have to be good for me to keep me interested, I kid you not, i play CoD MW just for the story, putting that aside, i think the story is dull, the main character is prob the most annoying character in this game, he whine about cannot use gun etc at first then when he actually use it, he is a pro at it(depends on your skill of course). I find that annoying to listen to him and the way he act like Rambo in the end is laughable. There are other main characters that need your help, including the so call army called "rakyat" rakyat is people in Indonesian by the way, how do i know that? cause i am Indonesian. Overall, the story just not interesting enough for me to keep me interested, I just wanted to rush over and finish the game.

In conclusion, the game is ok but very limited content if you don't care about achievements/collectibles, game is easy enough as is, especially early game with stealth path, crafting drugs seems pointless and the character is just not interesting enough. In my opinion, this game not worth the full retail price, maybe wait for steam sale to get it.
  7. Jan 20, 2013
    First 10 minutes of Farcry 3 starts brilliantly. The escape from Vass's camp was well done and the character of Vass himself was enjoyable. But then it goes down hill after you get a magic tattoo.

There is no challenge in this game what so ever. Even on the "hardest difficulty" it is hilariously easy. The AI is quite simply broken and spend most of the game killing each other or from wildlife to be an actual threat.. The story is pathetic badly written and a lot of the time makes no sense.

Graphics are great but can not make up for the simplified gameplay. The crafting system is a joke, you only need on type of leaf to craft any syringe, not that it matters as I never used the combat/hunting stims as there is no point. The skill system did not need to be in the game at all, seriously how many ways of stabbing an enemy do I need after I get the bow?

Not being able to turn off item glow or the items showing in your map is annoying forced hand holding crap that I would expect if I was playing on easy. Missions are often tedious and boring and "boss fights" are nothing more than badly done quick time events. If you have not bought this yet, either pirate it or wait for it to be around the 20$ mark.

It had huge potential and had some good ideas, memorable characters and the jungle is very attractive but the lack of challenging gameplay or sensible storyline makes the game fall flat on its face. Sad to see something that could of been brilliant had most of its fun points such as survival and stealth made useless or overpowered. Enemies have to be looking directly at you to see you, even then you have time to move into some bushes.

Probably my biggest buyers remorse of the past 6 months.
  8. Oct 16, 2013
    I feel the game was overall enjoyable, I like the range of weapons and customisations to choose from and the stealth aspect was quite enjoyable and often a good option as on harder difficulties trying to fight multiple enemies became a challenge. However the story, which was promising, became very anti-climatic and lack lustre. I also feel the combat became far too easy when you couldI feel the game was overall enjoyable, I like the range of weapons and customisations to choose from and the stealth aspect was quite enjoyable and often a good option as on harder difficulties trying to fight multiple enemies became a challenge. However the story, which was promising, became very anti-climatic and lack lustre. I also feel the combat became far too easy when you could simply inject yourself with a syringe to instantly heal or even become invincible (no really) for about 30 seconds, and then pump another when that ran out. The quick heal option and the enemy tagging (which allows you to easily keep track of where enemies are as you can see them through walls) made stealth relatively easy. I found the hunting better than most games but it soon lost meaning as I crafted all the items that needed to be crafted there was no reason to return. Side missions were truly poor and the voice acting terrible for the minor characters. The main and supporting characters (like Vaas, Hoyt, Buck and Sam) are surprisingly well acted with real emotion in their voices and genuinely interesting characters. Overall the gameplay makes it quite enjoyable but the story and side quests let it down, and if your wondering how long it would take to complete my total gameplay hours were about 9 hours (and that was doing everything in game accept from collecting all loot chests/letters and relics). Expand
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    The game itself is addicting, the bugs however are the intervention. The game is legit a bug fest with frustrating game breaking issues that made me throw my hands up in the air and say eff it. When a game tells me to use the optimal settings (which are 1080p at max settings mind you) it should not look like its trying to drag itself out of a potato sack 3,000 miles to middle of nowhere.The game itself is addicting, the bugs however are the intervention. The game is legit a bug fest with frustrating game breaking issues that made me throw my hands up in the air and say eff it. When a game tells me to use the optimal settings (which are 1080p at max settings mind you) it should not look like its trying to drag itself out of a potato sack 3,000 miles to middle of nowhere. That's what the game does, drag out. I've hand multiple bugs, one of them looking like Missing-No from Pokemon Red and Blue Sprite popping up on my mini-map or textures. Long story short: THE GAME IS NOT READY AND WAS RELEASED WITH A NEST OF BUGS TO BREED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. FIX THIS GAME UBISOFT. Expand
  10. Feb 23, 2014
    Very satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, andVery satisfying combat, but it gets boring when every outpost attack is the same. The story is pretty lame really, and all of the characters in the little side-quests are totally boring and I wish I could skip the dialogue. The feeling is this is somewhere between the Just Cause series, where the plot doesn't really matter and it's just a ton of fun to cause chaos on the island, and something more serious like Skyrim where the story is pretty deep and enjoyable. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2015
    No details, there already have been enough comments about that. My biggest problem: The final stages of the game somehow didn't entertain me any more; it was quite a drag to actually play the last few stages. So I guess the fun is more in the exploring. The story is OK, but at the end it just drags on in my opinion.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Hyper Magazine