Far Cry 3 PC

8.2

1. Mar 27, 2013
    Leaps and bounds improved over far cry 2. This takes it back to its core of an amazing looking game that is very fun to play. I just built a new PC and what better way to test it out then with a new far cry. I was not disappointed the detail is second to none.
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I was waiting to get this game on eBay, I was playing Far Cry 2 every single day. I was thinking that I would finish Far Cry 2 so I would understand the Story of the third game, but I didn't need to. It was a whole different story then then the second one. It had an amazing story. The game play was amazingly fun, and the graphics were incredible. The game had that ending were you chose between two things. -kill your friends or save them-. my only problem is that you have to craft packs for ammo or more weapons. No, it's not that part, it's that it starts you with absolutely NOTHING. 30 bullets in a clip and 60 in total, including the clip. You also only get 1 weapon slot when you start. You also need the craft wallets to hold more money. Who even does that in games?! 9 out of 10. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm an older PC gamer (late 40's), with limited experience (Battlefield 2 & 3, sniper games, etc) and really have had no use for a story in a game (the quality of graphics in this game made me interested, and the $30 price I saw made me buy it). I have to say that the story was interesting, I wanted to follow it and fully understand it, and really enjoyed playing through it. The side quests are fun, although some are very simple, and most are short. Hunting for certain skins is a great way to level up your items, along with money for guns. Love the weapon selection and the ability to add/change accessories. The map is very large, beautiful, and the ability to just explore it all when you want to take a break from the story is a plus. The game really is well done. The only cons I came across were the invisible pirates I ran into a few times. Couldn't kill them but they sure could kill me. Heard them talking right next to me as I was getting shot, but couldn't see them.... and... all the cussing and random stupid conversations of pirates complaining about STDs, etc. And while Citra was especially sexy, I didn't need the nudity/sex. All of that was unnecessary and keeps me from letting my kids play it.

The one thing I love about it, that I really pay attention to, is how well the AI works when it comes to not being noticed by the people you are shooting at. Other sniper games I have played have AI that knows exactly where you are all the time and there is no way to sneak around. But this game, after taking a few shots from a distance, and upsetting a group of pirates... They may look in your direction, but as long as they haven't seen you, you can just move around to different areas and even approach them from behind. Very helpful when taking down outposts for max XP. And... a sign of a good quality game, in my experience.

In short...
    Pros:
    AI, story, hunting, numerous side quests, large map, numerous available achievements listed, and of course Citra's amazing body ;)

Cons:
    Constant bad language, side quests are way too short, PC version would crash on me sometimes when I just had the game paused overnight.

A 10 if there wasn't so much use of the C, P and F words.
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    I do kind of like this game, and I did enjoy playing it. However the game feels empty in a way. Everything feels like it is on easy mode. Cash and loot which can be sold for cash can easily be picked up on multiple enemies, meaning your hardly short of it. You can have access to every weapon pretty easily by going up and activating radio towers. This is probably the most time-consumingI do kind of like this game, and I did enjoy playing it. However the game feels empty in a way. Everything feels like it is on easy mode. Cash and loot which can be sold for cash can easily be picked up on multiple enemies, meaning your hardly short of it. You can have access to every weapon pretty easily by going up and activating radio towers. This is probably the most time-consuming part of the game, afterwards its merely easy as everything is unlocked and missions are a breeze.

Graphics and environment detail is great however a little behind modern times but who cares about graphics?. However many locations felt repetitive, there wasn't much difference with outposts and was merely boring once you completed a few of them. Gameplay was solid and particularly fun, everything you would want from a standard shooter. However every gun just felt similar and damage wise enemies were an easy kill and no match for me. Vehicles felt very loose when driving and I often found myself swerving off the road trying to turn a corner. Healing system was just pure easy mode, even without the medicine you could still regain most of your health meaning collecting green plants is more of less useless. Story is a bit shabby and is a bit of a cliche. The only real shame the game has is that it gets boring very quickly, I couldn't find myself playing this long hours at a time. After all the work getting everything is done, which is around 2 hours, you will find the game comes pretty repetitive quickly.
    Overall, it's a solid shooter and I would recommend trying it out regardless of its flaws and its repetitive gameplay.
  5. Apr 8, 2013
    Excellent game. I enjoy the many choices you can take, there are so many weapons and you can customize them in any way. The skills involved in this game have meaning.
  6. Apr 12, 2013
    Nice game, wonderful design, but need a great pc to be up 30 fps. Gameplay is ok. Multi is poor, but the most important is the solo campaign. Co-op mode is fun.
  7. May 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and chances are you will as well. But it has its flaws, do not buy this game if you looking for a challenge in any sense of the word (at least in the single player). Even on hard the game presents you with almost no challenge at all. Especially if you go the broken stealth route were enemy's literally will not respond to getting shot in the foot, with any moreI really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and chances are you will as well. But it has its flaws, do not buy this game if you looking for a challenge in any sense of the word (at least in the single player). Even on hard the game presents you with almost no challenge at all. Especially if you go the broken stealth route were enemy's literally will not respond to getting shot in the foot, with any more that a quick look around and few repetitive insults about how you "are not a true warrior" etc. Its unlikely that you'll die more than a dozen times in the story missions. Most of my deaths were me driving my car of the side of the cliff as the first person perspective and thick jungle means that I often didn't that there was a cliff in front of me. But flaws aside you do get a lot for your money, about 18 radio towers and 30 something enemy outpost to capture along with side quests and about 15 hours worth of story missions. However so much content means that it can pretty quickly turn into a repetitive grind where every radio tower captured was just for that gun I was desperate for and not, for the fun of doing it. There is a Multi player and co op Campaign but by the time I had finished with the single player I'd had my fill of the jungle. Far Cry is and easy game to recommend as there is plenty to like and almost certainly something you'll love, you just have to wade through all the crap to get to it. Expand
  8. Nov 30, 2014
    Great game. Story is great, missions are great, good voice acting and the main villain is interesting. Graphics are fantastic. Open world is great and filled with interesting stuff to do.
  9. Dec 17, 2014
    This game is even worse than FC2. It has a crappy storyline with terrific gameplay.

Get Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon instead. Avoid this as well as Far Cry 4.
  10. Apr 19, 2016
    Fantastic game, way better than F .C 2, loved the story line, great replay value, awesome graphics, side missions got slightly repetitive but perhaps easy side quests and good main story line is what made it great
  11. May 31, 2013
    This game goes down as one of the best of all time. Simply amazing gameplay outstanding graphics huge array of weapons vehicles boats ect the wildlife and scenery are also of the highest quality a huge recommendation you will never forget this experience
  12. Jul 12, 2014
    Liked the game for the open world elements and the graphics are nice. Had a lot of time running around, driving, shooting, swimming, exploring etc, but as a story it's a waste of time. Cliched writing, terrible ending - made the entire endeavour seem pointless.
  13. Jun 30, 2013
    I Think it's an interesting game, it is really cool the open world mote, it's just i don't really like the topic of Wild West, well, but in Wild West topic this was the best game i played, crafting and the open world is really cool, the graphics aren't bad at all, I enjoyed the story, the game has some surprises, anyway, the things is, i don't give 10 and 9 to Far Cry 3 because it's good,I Think it's an interesting game, it is really cool the open world mote, it's just i don't really like the topic of Wild West, well, but in Wild West topic this was the best game i played, crafting and the open world is really cool, the graphics aren't bad at all, I enjoyed the story, the game has some surprises, anyway, the things is, i don't give 10 and 9 to Far Cry 3 because it's good, it is a good game, i didn't find any bugs or any bad things in the game even if i was searching, but the game has nothing good so i don't see a reason to give Far Cry 3 a 9 or 10. Expand
  14. Jun 23, 2016
    loved this game only the ending was really a let down, i cant say more without ruining the game for people but its worth a buy, strong recommendation.
  15. Nov 15, 2014
    Basically a more open-world version Tomb Raider with some key differences. First, the narrative isn't nearly so tight. Second, menu navigation, tutorials and the like feel clunky and confusing. Third, too much narrative and opening exposition. I've been playing for an hour and all I've done is shoot a couple pigs and pick flowers.

The narrative structure was executed top-notch in

The narrative structure was executed top-notch in Tomb Raider, but in Far Cry 3 it's already feeling like work because the story is just too been-there-done-that. We didn't come to Far Cry 3 for story. We came to Far Cry 3 for action and great game mechanics, and if this game doesn't start delivering soon, into the trash it goes.
  16. Jun 24, 2013
    Ubisoft could really use a long talk with Bethesda. Far Cry 3 is a game which straddles genres; half First-person Shooter, half RPG experience. And it's obvious which it is descended from. The developers have done a great job making an open-world game, with detailed settings, beautiful models, and engaging but rewarding progression-based gameplay. What they have lacked is and understandingUbisoft could really use a long talk with Bethesda. Far Cry 3 is a game which straddles genres; half First-person Shooter, half RPG experience. And it's obvious which it is descended from. The developers have done a great job making an open-world game, with detailed settings, beautiful models, and engaging but rewarding progression-based gameplay. What they have lacked is and understanding about WHICH bits of the game people (people like me) will find fun; the populated areas are woefully dull, the skill progression is uninteresting and too short and simple, the lack of multiple options in terms of quests, missions, factions, are all RPG elements that are missing from this RPG. Still a great laugh though, very fun, very beautiful. Expand
  17. Jul 3, 2013
    Great story, breathtaking large island which lives its own life. Excellent graphics and optimization for older video cards (I played the 8800gts). I wish the characters would look like people, and then stood like idiots with a straight face. The animation is also not very much, but it is only minor flaws. All in all a great game.
  18. Jul 3, 2013
    Incredible game! The graphics, the gameplay, the movements EVERYTHING! What I deny in some situations, is that when you burn some planting, it should disappear, but the plants are only black and opaque! Lacked a little more detail in this sector. But the game is GREAT! Recommend
  19. Oct 23, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an amazing First Person Shooter! You will love the voice acting done by Vaas, the visuals, the music, and the game play! It is defiantly worth putting up with UPlay for!

What's Here: You start out as a scared and wimpy character who as he kills slowly becomes more and more a scary insane badass willing to do anything to get his revenge. You can customize the guns to your style of play and you can take two different approaches most of the time to your style of play. Stealth or Run n' Gun. You may also explore the island and take on different missions and side quests as well. Although as the story progresses it takes a sharp decline as one of the protagonists just vanishes and makes you question a lot of things. I don't like to talk about the story much so if you play you can find out.

Gameplay: The game plays out like your usual FPS where you run shoot climb shoot duck shoot and overall just slaughter your way through thousands of enemies. So yeah it's generic but how it unfolds is where it's at! You can make the game a whole lot easier by doing the side quests and outposts and becoming a much more stronger Warrior and taking on Vaas and Hoyt's armies. The hunting is truly done well as each section has their own environments and you can even watch animals hunt other animals. Which brings me to my next part.

Visuals: If you have the PC for it you'll defiantly see it! WOW! JUST WOW! The island is just beautiful. The lush trees. The animal designs. The water. The beach. The gun designs. Nothing beats seeing it all while on your hand glider too! it's a real breath taking experience seeing it all on Ultra. Ubisoft really outdid themselves here!

Sounds: While music isn't all that great but it's not bad just doesn't stand out the voice acting deserves massive amount of credit here. Michael Mando playing the part of Vaas really out did himself here. You'll want to play the game again just to hear the parts! It's so amazing! The guns have stellar sounds as well. No complaints here on them as they sounded pretty damn good. When explosives go off near you and how sounds knida mute out and you get dizzy that was well done as well it pulled me in and made me think I was in the fight.

Controls: While keyboard and mouse are difficult for driving at times for me they may not be for all I found it a lot easier on gamepad to drive than anything else but I learned... well a lil after so many hours of game play. I still suck though. So driving is difficult but everything else works great! No problems handling the hand glider or driving (with my gamepad) or shooting at all. Extremely responsive and no bugs or glitches to report on my end.

Overall: This game is a 9/10! It loses points because the story towards the end was just down right boring and generic. Though there were some parts that made me cringe and go wow... what the I would defiantly recommend this game to everyone.

Warning: This does require UPlay which is a huge disappointment! I was extremely pissed off at first but the game is still a 9/10... I just hate Ubisoft for doing this
  20. Jul 18, 2013
    Very Briefly, Good game. More than slightly console ruined.. but not enough to stop me playing it non stop.. start to finish.. My grievances No saving (due to autosave feature), not enough keyboard utilization... animals making noises to announce themselves while stalking you... lol .
    I could go on but won't... because... I did enjoy the game a fair amount. Value=$25
  21. Jan 24, 2014
    Fine game, 7/10. Not the greatest experience, but kept my engaged somewhat throughout the game. The narrative did not seem coherent with the world. Made the experience suffer too much.
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    Mixed bag playing it again on pc. I love that I can disable the HUD and that but having to sit through the cutscenes again is borderline masochism. I alt-enter to go window mode then go read a webpage or two. I'd give this game 4 out of 5, minus 1 just because the story is insultingly bad and they force you to partake of it.
  23. Aug 3, 2013
    Wow! This is the most incredible game, both visuals-wise and gameplay-wise, that I have played in a very long time! It looks beautiful on max settings. There is always so much to do, be it a side mission, hunting (which, unlike in other games, is essential to progressing), and just exploration of the huge map in general. However, it sometimes can feel like not a lot is going on, and I'llWow! This is the most incredible game, both visuals-wise and gameplay-wise, that I have played in a very long time! It looks beautiful on max settings. There is always so much to do, be it a side mission, hunting (which, unlike in other games, is essential to progressing), and just exploration of the huge map in general. However, it sometimes can feel like not a lot is going on, and I'll often find myself driving for 10 minutes or more with nothing happening. But other than that, this is a very solid title. Great job! Expand
  24. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could of got 9/10 and i will now explain why i didnt give it 9/10 by pointing out the negatives and then the positive's. I just want to say this game is AMAZING, but short lived. Now i will explain :

The Negatives: 1. The game gives an illusion of having massive re-playability but doesnt have any. 2. It lacks content outside

The Negatives:
    2. It lacks content outside the main story.
    3. The game gives you no reason to complete side quests.
    4. The open world is boring unless your in a mission.
    5. It could of been so much more.
    6. Once the main story ended i felt like OMG this was AMAZING but what do i do now?
    7. Once You finish the main story you are left with no reason to play the game again.
    8. The multiplayer sucks, i did not include this in my rating, it has nothing to do with the single player.

The positives:
    1. The voice acting is AMAZING.
    2.The characters are AMAZING.
    3. The storyline is AMAZING.
    4. The main story missions are EPIC.
    5. The game is so much fun.
    6. Hunting animals is great.
    7. Collecting plants is great.
    8. The weapons are awesome.
    9. The world looks beautiful.

Overall i give this game 8/10. Once you finish the main story you are left feeling like something is missing in the game now, it gives you no reason to carry on playing, unlike games like Grand Theft Auto in which you can replay over and over for months after you have finished the main story.

If there is a Far Cry 4, it needs to build on the open world aspect and give you more to do once you finish the game, the game has an amazing story but falls flat in the open world experience.
  25. Aug 9, 2013
    The Good: A very good to great game engine, nice art, fun visual themes and environment.

The Bad: Confused user interface, The game mechanics, economy, etc. are a bit week, but the killer is the game is tied to an inconsistent, forced, unbelievable, immature, and poor to bad plot that took this game down for me from fun to un-enjoyable.
  26. May 11, 2014
    Yes, it’s one of the greatest FPS-es of 2013. A beautiful, large open world makes this an instant hit…but it’s not bad that the shooting mechanics are there too. Far Cry 3 has it’s flaws, but the pros overwhelm them by a mile. Let’s see…

MORE ON: http://prosncons.22web.org/ + It’s a beautiful open world in which you want to get lost. Don’t care about the missions, just go out there,

MORE ON: http://prosncons.22web.org/

+ It’s a beautiful open world in which you want to get lost. Don’t care about the missions, just go out there, on foot and find the secrets of this magnificent island.
    + The setting is a breath of fresh air. We’ve seen a lot of sandbox games, but rarely they break out from the confinements of the big cities. At first, you wonder how an island can work as a setting for this game, in the end, you don’t want to go back to the city ever again.
    + The AI is exceptional, and partly this makes the world living. You meet bandits and friends in the world on their own mission while bigger animals hunt the smaller one and occasionally attacking humans too. It’s a realistic ecosystem that makes the game more enjoyable.
    + Far Cry 3 contains awesome lot of stuff to do. The main story takes around 12 hours to complete, but you can do side-quests, liberate outposts, take on races, hunt animals or enemies, and a lot more. Repetition is out of the question.
    + One person: Vaas. One of the antagonists delivers a stunning performance that is rarely seen in video games. It’s one of the best performances ever in a video game.

~ The character development is good, but doesn’t introduce anything new. Jason Brody is an essential part of the story and not just it’s abilities develop, but his personality too. From a rich spoilt kid to the warrior of the Rakyat. We have seen this too many times.
    ~ The story is shallow at best and won’t thrill you all the way, but has its moments, mainly when you go eye-to-eye with one of the antagonists.
    ~ The co-op campaign (with a different story on the same island) is a good addition, but doesn’t offer anything like the the main campaign.

- Side quests aren’t much of an addition. Yes, they have their own – very superficial – stories, but all of them take 15 minutes max to complete and usually the same task. Get something from 100 meters away and bring it back.
    - The ending is the real disappointment here. It will leave you puzzled, as why would anyone think it was a good idea to put a life changing choice in the end of a game that didn’t include any choice up to that point.

Time to beat: 12 hours (main campaign), 20+ hours (side-quests and min-games).
    Replay Value: 3/5
    In one word: Insanely beautiful
    On P’n’C scale: Instant Favorite
    Must give points: 91

MORE ON: http://prosncons.22web.org/
  27. Dec 16, 2013
    As a player of FarCry 2 i was impelled to try this. I waited for it to come out on sale in case i was upset. the only thing i am upset about id not getting it sooner. What a stunning game. So much to do and see, it can keep you entertained for hours on end. Fantastic. Takes some getting used to in my opinion but its great.
  28. Jan 13, 2014
    This game is simply perfect, story is best,characters are also impressive.In addition this game has best graphics,far cry 2 was not so much attractive but this is really a master piece. Its story has no link to far cry 2,pc version contains so much bugs like sometimes u cant pick up a weapon.For me,this game is capable of getting 9 at least.
  29. Jun 27, 2014
    Ubisoft you did it again!
    Absolutely amazing!
    Memorable characters, Great plot, Interesting side-quests AMAZING weapons and add-ons,
    and I LOVE the outpost-capturing system.
    If this game was a person, i would throw money at him non-stop.
  30. Oct 24, 2014
    First PC game for me to rate 9/10 in many years.

I first have to say that, at this point in 2014 most of the bugs are fixed and what's mentioned in bad reviews is fixed by now so you don't have to worry about technicalities. In short, it's a open world FPS game similar to Borderlands but with much less RPG elements and much more realistic tendencies. You start off as this very
    First PC game for me to rate 9/10 in many years.

In short, it's a open world FPS game similar to Borderlands but with much less RPG elements and much more realistic tendencies. You start off as this very vulnerable nobody, stuck in a jungle riddled with pirates and dangerous animals against your will with only knife and a pistol at your disposal. Combat realism is close to Crysis 3 but not as refined – as game progresses you become more powerful and thus combat becomes less realistic but more interesting and challenging. Overall, gameplay is unique and a fresh experience, once you get used to it, it’s very fun!

Story has an interesting set of antagonist but overall, it’s crap overall which is fitting for a FPS, they didn’t even bother to get emotional or anything, it’s basically just there to fulfill the gameplay. It is made up of interesting and challenging missions but often boring un-interruptible cut scenes. The main first antagonist, Vaas, could have been used much more but instead is just occasionally encountered – his appearance and (in my opinion fun) character was unexpectedly minor in the game.

Music is spectacular but rarely heard, only during action sequences, missions and occasional car radio (in game vehicles only seldom have radios).

Visuals are excellent but nothing spectacular, not even close to Crysis 3, which is expected due to its open-world nature and mild hardware requirements. If you had just finished Crysis 3 you’ll be very disappointed but game play makes up for it by far. Unfortunately, NVidia owners will experience small bugs and quirks quite often. There are also unusual FPS drops – switching to window mode and back into full screen (Alt+ENTER) fixes this, luckily it doesn’t happen often.

Gameplay is extremely fun combination of sneaking upon, going all Rambo on or avoiding enemies. It’s not as refined or realistic as Crysis 3 but it’s in my opinion more fun! It can get spooky, very exciting, fun and even quite funny at times. Game awards you a lot of points for being sneaky but you can easily finish the game in a very… um, explosive manner! If you opt out for Rambo style, game “awards” you by bringing reinforcements which means even more fun and more xp points. If you’re a stealthy assassin, game awards you extra points for various available methods of murdering enemies and staying undetected till the last enemy. You don’t have to pick just one style, there are three “skill trees” but if you play all side missions, quests and kill a lot of pirates, you can get easily all the skills. Small part of the game is made up of collecting herbs, items and such RPG style crap but time-wise it’s less than 2% of the gameplay.

The only serious criticism I have is the fact that you have to kill some animals to obtain things like a bigger loot sack. There’s even a side mission where you have to blow up “rabid” dogs with an RPG or kill a bunch with a flame thrower. Seriously? What’s next, killing ebola-infected babies with a flame thrower? Whoever made these missions is IMO a serious hazard to society. I understand if there’s an option to do something (e.g. you can murder children in some D&D games) but a mission dedicated to it is a whole new level of sick.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Exhilarating, colorful, mindless – that's Far Cry 3 in three words.
  3. Hyper Magazine