• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2004
8.0

1. David
    Jul 14, 2004
    The totally stupid story makes it one of the worst games I've ever played!
  2. RupertL.
    Jun 15, 2006
    This game is unbalanced, the story is boring and well known (some monster are loose and are killing everyone). The graphics are nice, but the whole environment looks quite artificial. The animations are bad and the sounds are even worse. I wouldn't buy this game again.
  3. Charlie
    Sep 10, 2008
    This game was good, until you got to the first mutants. The graphics were great, i loved crawling through the jungle, playing tactically, running head on guns firing, etc. Then there's the bad side. I got bored of the mutants constantly trying to be spooky and all that, and just failing miserably. It got very predictable the further you went, and character animations were always not This game was good, until you got to the first mutants. The graphics were great, i loved crawling through the jungle, playing tactically, running head on guns firing, etc. Then there's the bad side. I got bored of the mutants constantly trying to be spooky and all that, and just failing miserably. It got very predictable the further you went, and character animations were always not very good at all. The story line is probably the worst i've ever seen, again predictable and unoriginal. To be honest, i couldn't actually play to the end out of sheer boredom. Far Cry 2, however, sounds much better. They've kept all the good stuff and got rid of all the bad stuff. Looking forward to it. Expand
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    I can't explain how bad this game is. It's not hard.. it's just bad.
    - No AI
    - instant hits from the enemy + 2-3 shoots, and you die (easy settings)
    - boring
    - B-Side feeling

+ Graphics.

Bad game.
  5. DooDoo
    May 12, 2006
    Like M S said it was very dissapointing. This game fell well short of my expectations. I was drawn to buy it because I heard the graphics were amazing, but the plot was so boring I didn't give a damn about the graphics. I guess my expectations were too high after playing GTA.
  6. DonH.
    Jun 16, 2006
    I'm late to this game. After playing F.E.A.R the grapichs look like a Mario game. The A.I will charge toward you, even when your unloading on them.
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    I've tried hard to continue playing this game, but I've had enough of enemies shooting through walls. Oh, not only the first level soldiers seeing you perfectly inside the barracks, or the guy inside a locked hangar gunning you down from a car, also those "elite" soldiers later on the game running like mites and killing you through concrete walls and columns.

Ironically, low level

Ironically, low level soldiers took cover and such, this ones are so pro that run around like monkeys so you are unable to snipe them, which probably was the only satisfying weapon.

The concept of the mutants was good, but what could have been a wonderful horror game on the style of Dead Space ended up as comedically gorish as Bioshock due to sheer unability to make the mutant aparitions something unexpected or dangerous.

Good things: The game feels open, with several paths to go from point A to point B, the driving is really good, and the dificulty isn't based on rationing ammunition.

More bad things: As usual, as soon as you shoot 1 enemy, all of them in range of sigth 1 mile away will inmediately shoot at you. No stealth killing today son. The concept of the open world is cool, but there isn't anything else there for you to find anyway, doesn't matter how much you wander.

In conclusion, play this game if you like RPG type of shooters, but expect to possibly left dissapointed.
  8. Aug 1, 2014
    Far Cry is one of the worst games I've ever played. The checkpoints must have been made by a spastic, because you have to do the same crap over and over and over again because you keep getting killed by terribly programmed AI who act like they have aimbots practically. When you try to find cover in tents to heal, they're apparently able to shoot through the walls and still kill you. Also,Far Cry is one of the worst games I've ever played. The checkpoints must have been made by a spastic, because you have to do the same crap over and over and over again because you keep getting killed by terribly programmed AI who act like they have aimbots practically. When you try to find cover in tents to heal, they're apparently able to shoot through the walls and still kill you. Also, you're left alone for almost the entirety of the game, and you never really have an ally to help you out except Val about 9 hours into the game. This game could've been so great, but the AI is absolute **** and you are alone the entire game. And the one thing that you may think this game has is an open-world aspect... IT DOESN'T, this game is very linear, so if you want a real Far Cry game that is open world try 2 or 3 (and now 4). So in conclusion, you should buy this game if, #1 You like a linear storyline, #2 You like fighting 50 enemies on your own at once, #3 You like fighting AI's who have the same precision as an aimbot. Unfortunately, I don't like any of that in a game, so this terrible game will get a **** score by me. Expand
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    Literally has no redeeming qualities. The graphics were outdated, not to mention they were surpassed by HL2 and Doom 3 in the same year. The AI is terrible, and the "stealth" is a joke. You can pretty much walk by anyone as long as you're crouching. You acquire all weapons within 60 seconds of play, but that's not saying much seeing as there are only four, two of which are pretty much theLiterally has no redeeming qualities. The graphics were outdated, not to mention they were surpassed by HL2 and Doom 3 in the same year. The AI is terrible, and the "stealth" is a joke. You can pretty much walk by anyone as long as you're crouching. You acquire all weapons within 60 seconds of play, but that's not saying much seeing as there are only four, two of which are pretty much the same thing. The game is often marketed as open world, but the levels are very linear and badly designed. You are often shoved into foxholes in which if you get up, you're killed almost instantly. It's often hard to find where you need to go. One of the first levels has you going into an abandoned ship. You are told to enter through a hole in the ship. There is a HUGE, exposed, hole in the ship that you see instantly. However, this isn't what you want. You need to go underwater, to the other side of the boat, and into a 1 meter wide hole. The story is absolutely ridiculous, but I won't go into that to avoid spoilers. The cutscenes are bad 90s film esque. The vehicle sections are very hard to navigate. Saving is not allowed, so if you need to do something else, you better hope there was a checkpoint recently. I got it for $2.50 on the Steam Sale, and I feel like I paid way too much Expand
  10. May 26, 2011
    Game starts out interesting but descends into the typical mad scientist and mutants (or zombies or monsters) that so many games fall back on when they can't think of something original.
  11. AaronB
    Sep 17, 2009
    Graphics are ok for a five year old game. Speed sucks, for my system that five years ago would have been awesome. AI is slow to respond and when they do(after ten bullets whizzing past - more on that in a moment) they all come rushing in at once, blast away my armor in a few seconds, and die when I run out of useless ammo and hit the machete. Really? I can't aim at ANYTHING, the Graphics are ok for a five year old game. Speed sucks, for my system that five years ago would have been awesome. AI is slow to respond and when they do(after ten bullets whizzing past - more on that in a moment) they all come rushing in at once, blast away my armor in a few seconds, and die when I run out of useless ammo and hit the machete. Really? I can't aim at ANYTHING, the control is so jittery, and then it wavers because the PC has itchy feet or something! You don't hold a gun to the side and aim with magic crosshairs anyway. Real sighting is far superior to fake sighting, I've found. Back to Far Cry 2 on Xbox 360! Expand
  12. KayG.
    Apr 10, 2004
    The graphics are beautiful, but the game is boring. You walk around tropical islands shooting people, CS style. Storyline: find key, use key, find another key... (substitute key for bomb, satellite, widget etc)
  13. Sep 23, 2011
    ....Seriously people liked this game? I'm up for a challenge and i love FPS but seriously... This has to be the WORSE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. DO NOT BUY THIS POS. Voice acting is terrible, plot is boring and lame. For a 2004 the game serves no justice.. Sure the graphics are nice. But playing the game on medium and dieing constantly to **** AI, terrible checkpoints because the game....Seriously people liked this game? I'm up for a challenge and i love FPS but seriously... This has to be the WORSE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. DO NOT BUY THIS POS. Voice acting is terrible, plot is boring and lame. For a 2004 the game serves no justice.. Sure the graphics are nice. But playing the game on medium and dieing constantly to **** AI, terrible checkpoints because the game decided to give no user saves or quick saves like ANY OTHER GAME. This game honestly doesn't even deserve a 1... I believe i overpaid for this game at $ 2.50. Challenging game is one thing but an AI that shoots through walls/tents and auto head shots you is balanced.. Expand
  14. G.D.
    Jun 22, 2004
    Very boring.
  15. Dec 29, 2014
    Unfortunately one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played and I really wanted to enjoy it!

The AI is either insanely difficult or incredibly dumb, pulling off such feats as discovering and then shooting you through walls, which was somehow never patched, and firing rounds at you from a mile away with what seems like aimbot accuracy to the opposite end of the scale, where soldiers slowly creep towards you in crouch mode, in broad daylight, out in the open, a few metres away while the butt of your gun stares them down.

Monsters and snipers alike can one-shot you easily, which, coupled with the downright frustrating checkpoint saves mechanic, makes for a hell of a lot of repetition and general anger. If this game had savepoints (without the use of cheat consoles) it would be worth something, but that decision was just god-awful.

I'll give an example. So I'm venturing down to a military campsite and the checkpoint save is triggered, so I reload my weapon and venture down, I take out the first few guards while crouching and go inside a building to grab an armour pack, but, after grabbing it, I get spotted and shot through the wall. Well bugger. Ok then, that sucks but no harm. Load again, reload my weapon again, because I can't save after I do that and I get a bit further, I inevitably die again ten more times because I chose Normal difficulty - which I realize now was a mistake. Finally I take them all out, grab the explosives and keycard, but the door is jammed shut and won't open even with the keycard. I go around the building looking for another way in but get shot by a soldier who is inside a building himself (with no windows or even light in it), shooting at me on the outside...

Well now I'm just pissed off so I immediately launch down the hill, but I forgot to reload my weapon this time. And that's a perfect sum-up of what playing this game is like.

I can admit that the graphics are quite nice, although not on the level of Half Life 2 which also came out in 2004 (an infinitely better game). The gun choices are just lacking, nothing new or interesting there. The creature designs are bleh, the voice acting is pretty laughable at times, charmingly bad but that could just be the style they were going for.

I can see that there are some things to like about it and to you that might outweigh the many negatives, but I can't understand that any critic would give this more than an 8/10, there are some serious flaws in this game.
  16. ScottS.
    Mar 25, 2004
    This game is overhyped to the MAX. It's pretty but the play control sucks. The weapons are equally as boring as the maps. A game for Fanboys.
  17. StuartD
    Apr 13, 2009
    I fail to see the attraction with this game. The gameplay is nothing new and there are no innovative features to set it apart from DOOM, a game released over a decade previous to this. Its biggest selling point is that you can 'roam free in the jungle', as it were. Again, nothing new. All they did was fill in the levels with lots of 2 dimensional green stuff that you can wade I fail to see the attraction with this game. The gameplay is nothing new and there are no innovative features to set it apart from DOOM, a game released over a decade previous to this. Its biggest selling point is that you can 'roam free in the jungle', as it were. Again, nothing new. All they did was fill in the levels with lots of 2 dimensional green stuff that you can wade through. Take that away and there is nothing else bar a few buildings here and there. Not exactly extensive level design - in fact, it reeks of a game done cheaply. When you do get inside you're going to be running around corridors with doors that lead to more corridors with doors that lead to the odd larger room. These are the sort of levels that feel 'generated' rather than designed. There are no real puzzles. The storyline is atrocious, the voice acting is laughable (especially the protagonist) and the gameplay is non-existent. It feels like one of those cheap arcade machines that require you to use a gun, except that you can sneak. Graphically it holds up quite well for a game 5 years old so I can only assume it was considered stunning back in 2004 - this is the only feasible reason it sold so well. A truly awful game, as shown by the sequel which is just more of the same but, for some reason, got slated while the original was a masterpiece????. Perhaps a good game if you haven't played DOOM... or any other FPS ever. If I were to sum this game up in one word it would be: Generic Expand
  18. MarekM
    Nov 18, 2009
    Great visuals, v. poor story and weak gameplay. Mutants, mad scientist, mercenaries... oh c'mon!
  19. AriusE
    Jun 25, 2009
    Yeesh... this game is gorgeous, and the storyline is good, B-movie fun, with a dopey frat boy protagonist and a hot but nerd-voiced special forces babe. I can't get over how difficult the gameplay is. I would've dropped the game long ago out of sheer length and frustration. The stealth meter is skewed TOTALLY against you. The enemies have perfect aim, and then the later game Yeesh... this game is gorgeous, and the storyline is good, B-movie fun, with a dopey frat boy protagonist and a hot but nerd-voiced special forces babe. I can't get over how difficult the gameplay is. I would've dropped the game long ago out of sheer length and frustration. The stealth meter is skewed TOTALLY against you. The enemies have perfect aim, and then the later game antagonists can turn INVISIBLE or launch INFINITE ROCKETS. Frankly, I don't see how the game is completable without God Mode or a SAINT-LIKE patience. That being said, it's super pretty, and gorgeous to explore while invulnerable. Worth the $10 i spent on a Steam Ubisoft package deal (though I consider every cent of that going toward Beyond Good and Evil which was tons tons tons more fun) Expand
  20. Jul 7, 2011
    I'm probably a few years late for this review. But I just started playing Far Cry 1. The AI is horrible. They spot you through walls as well as shoot you through walls when in reality they shouldn't be able to see you or know where you are. You can creep and move in stealth, but the AI always see you and have dead aim. It's like playing against an AIMBOT and Hacks. The story starts outI'm probably a few years late for this review. But I just started playing Far Cry 1. The AI is horrible. They spot you through walls as well as shoot you through walls when in reality they shouldn't be able to see you or know where you are. You can creep and move in stealth, but the AI always see you and have dead aim. It's like playing against an AIMBOT and Hacks. The story starts out very vague and doesn't give you much information about who you are, why you are where you are, or even a reason to wonder around an island trying not to get shot by the Aimbot AI. Sorry, I have to give this a 4 for possibility which never came about. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2015
    Far Cry is a first-person shooter video game developed by Crytek and published by Ubisoft on March 23, 2004, for Microsoft Windows. he game's story follows a former US Army Special Forces operative Jack Carver, who is stranded on a mysterious archipelago. He is searching for a female journalist he was escorting after she went missing when their boat was destroyed by mercenaries. The gameFar Cry is a first-person shooter video game developed by Crytek and published by Ubisoft on March 23, 2004, for Microsoft Windows. he game's story follows a former US Army Special Forces operative Jack Carver, who is stranded on a mysterious archipelago. He is searching for a female journalist he was escorting after she went missing when their boat was destroyed by mercenaries. The game includes thematic elements relating to the dangers of weaponizing genetic engineering and the genocide of local islanders as can be seen by the deformed creatures created by a mad scientist named Krieger.
    The terrain in Far Cry varies greatly. Set on a South Pacific archipelago, the landscape includes beaches, dense rain forests, towering canyons, mines, swamps, and even volcanic forests. Many of the interiors range from simple beach huts and army camps to elaborate complexes, an underground temple, and ultra-modern research labs. Several of these mazes use the remains of Japanese WWII-era fortifications and bunkers.
  22. Apr 11, 2017
    Graphiquement très impressionnant à l'époque et encore très convenable aujourd'hui même si l'île a un petit côté carton-pâte avec ses couleurs digne d'un dessin animé Walt Disney. Et ça tourne sans accroc (forcément, à moins de jouer sur une config' de l'époque elle aussi !), juste quelques bugs de son à signaler comme les voix des ennemis inexplicablement déformées malgré le gros patchGraphiquement très impressionnant à l'époque et encore très convenable aujourd'hui même si l'île a un petit côté carton-pâte avec ses couleurs digne d'un dessin animé Walt Disney. Et ça tourne sans accroc (forcément, à moins de jouer sur une config' de l'époque elle aussi !), juste quelques bugs de son à signaler comme les voix des ennemis inexplicablement déformées malgré le gros patch 1.4 de rigueur.

On se rend compte assez vite de sérieux problèmes affectant le gameplay comme les ennemis justement ! une résistance aux balles hors du commun, une précision de tir qui défie l'entendement et une capacité à vous repérer à 2 km mettent sérieusement à mal l'expérience et toute tentative d'infiltration. Vous, le "héros" par contre, vous êtes raide après 2 ou 3 bastos dans le buffet. De surcroît les médikits sont rares et les points de sauvegarde (oui vous avez bien lu, des points de sauvegarde sur une exclu PC à l'origine !) apparaissent tous les 36 du mois.

Dans ces conditions, même au niveau facile on en prend plein la gueule. Décidément, Farcry est une farce, ni plus ni moins. Un point pour la VF sympathique, un autre point pour la musique assez réussie. C'est pas tout ça mais ma poubelle a faim, je lui donne vite à manger. J'ai pas de temps à perdre avec un FPS de merde.
  23. SeverS.
    Feb 28, 2005
    Did anyone care that there was no story? The plot bas pointless the game play was great but I saw lots of bugs that no one seems to report. Those rocket launcher guys shooting rockets backwards from the back side of their guns and don't get me started on the save game system. I didn
  24. GM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    I saw inconsistent AI and awful "read my mind" game design that relied on ambush deaths and memorizing what ?!open-ended!? paths not to go down. There's no motivation to keep playing either as the story is sketchy at best. Weak weapon sounds make even the pretty jungle combat dull. Overall, great graphics but it's a tech demo with untested gameplay. You may give it a miss.
  25. Nov 30, 2016
    playing this in 2016 after finishing fc2, fc3 and fc4, i can say that this game was nicely upgraded over the years. still i found this game way better than fc2 which is probably worst in series. fc2 was boring, boring, boring and boring to hell. fc3 was boring boring, and finally fc4 was just boring. whoewer , fc1 1.4 patch on hardest level is providing really solid challenge withplaying this in 2016 after finishing fc2, fc3 and fc4, i can say that this game was nicely upgraded over the years. still i found this game way better than fc2 which is probably worst in series. fc2 was boring, boring, boring and boring to hell. fc3 was boring boring, and finally fc4 was just boring. whoewer , fc1 1.4 patch on hardest level is providing really solid challenge with amazingly hard AI who can easily shot you through tents, covers and walls in general, but there are some parts where enemies are acting pretty normal tho, especially in closed areas. stealth element is completely useless as crouch/prone is made way too slow so basicly it takes ages to get to the checkpoint. story is in general terrible, animations are terrible, voice acting is terrible and ingame sound is terrible. i didnt try the game on easiy mode but the island is basicly useless to explore as enemies are waiting in numbers every few steps armored with machinegunes on the boats, snipers, rocket launcher equipped guys with unlimited ammo and so. so we can say game is quiet liner as there are no side quest or any secrets on the island. every weapon is unlocked after first few tasks so there's nothing to be explored further. no weapon upgrades, nothing. whoever, game itself is fun, shooting is simple, fluid, smooth and challenging. there are way way better old fps games who can provide much fair AI, better story, better graphich and more things to explore than this one. overall, this one is not su terrible shooter in general for 2004, but quality is far far away from games liike doom, fear older cod's and moh. Expand
  26. May 9, 2016
    Unfortunately the steam version ships with the infamous 1.4 patch which breaks the A.I making them much harder than they originally was; and this game is pretty hard compared to newer Far Cry games and this makes the game alot less fun and makes stealth nearly impossible, heck it makes certain sections of the game nearly impossible since the A.I can shoot at you with high accuracy at longUnfortunately the steam version ships with the infamous 1.4 patch which breaks the A.I making them much harder than they originally was; and this game is pretty hard compared to newer Far Cry games and this makes the game alot less fun and makes stealth nearly impossible, heck it makes certain sections of the game nearly impossible since the A.I can shoot at you with high accuracy at long distances, even through walls with high accuracy too.

In order to play the game without the AI super soldiers, you need the unofficial patchs or somehow downgrade to patch 1.3

Now, I remember playing this back in 2004 and thought it was originally a good game, because back then- Far Cry WAS a good game, but the standards have risen considerably over the years and this game shows cleary how low gamers standards was back then.

Far Cry suffers from a huge amount of general issues which makes the game generally much harder than it really needs to be, such as troop placement being so specific to catch the player out, each mission as such is more about remembering where enemy mercs are; rather than planning a strategic attack- think of MOH; Sniper Alley style gameplay here, its frustrating and needless.

Then to add further insult to injury, you have to put up with Carver being a complete tool in the gun accuracy department, his accuracy with weapons is excruciating bad, whilst the mercs have near perfect accuracy, this is why there are liberally scattered health packs and armor around because its nearly impossible not to take hits. The accuracy is poor, imagine an artifical spray and pray - the gun cursor is just a 'basic' indicator where the bullets will go, not nessarily where you are pointing. The gun sights offer slightly better accuracy but still, not good enough considering the accuracy of the mercs and traps.

Even with some much needed mods like FCam; the game is still a huge chore to play and saving after every encounter with mercs is essential- forget using stealth tactics...if you want working stealth, install Far Cry 2 and skip this.

As for the difficulty, there is honestly very little difference between easy and realistic difficultly - thats how hard this game is; realistic mode is just mostly for masochists who enjoy dying alot, or who have played the game so much they have remembered the exact layout of the merc placements.
  27. May 27, 2018
    This game is very hard on veteran difficulty.
    I've already spent 13 hours playing the campaing & I only reached mission 14.
    I died +50 times in mission 14 & I eventually gave up. I was just tired of dying so much to get to pass a single mission & it really wasn't fun anymore. And I don't want to replay the whole game on an easier difficulty to end it. But my problem with this game
    This game is very hard on veteran difficulty.
    I've already spent 13 hours playing the campaing & I only reached mission 14.
    I died +50 times in mission 14 & I eventually gave up.
    And I don't want to replay the whole game on an easier difficulty to end it.

But my problem with this game isn't the diffuclty. My problem with this game are the bugs, the dialogue & the main protaganist.

- The game is full of bugs, the most imfamous one are the enemies shooting trough the wall. (Watch the Dunkey video to get an example). I really wonder how they got away in the year 2004 with that many bugs in the game.
    - The dialogue is so terrible that it becomes funny in a way & the people in this game don't feel like humans, but programmed robots.
    - And the main protaganist is an absolute douchbag in the way he talks & the things he says. He's so unlikeable!

And the cutscenes! Oh, the CUTSCENES!
    They are so bad, that they become fantastic.
    So I can't really count them as a problem.

The only good thing about this game is the graphics, but in the year 2018 there are so many games that have way better graphics. So that pro isn't really relevant anymore.

So don't get this game!
    At the time it was probably very fasantating, but when you compare it to other games that have came out since 2004 it's garbage.

PS: The trigen are the scariest enemies in a FPS game I've ever seen, because when you see them, you know you're **** because it's 1 hit kill & time to respawn all the way back to the last checkpoint. (Oh God, I hate the checkpoint system!)
  28. Apr 4, 2018
    While graphics are pretty, the game itself is awfully unbalanced jumping from piece-of-cake-easy to just unfair. Gameplay mechanics are fine, but after a few hours it becomes repetetive and tedious.

1. Cheat Code Central
    The game has plenty going for it. Most notably the AI which rivals just about any human that I've played against. What is most interesting is that the AI plays fair. It doesn't have ESP.
  2. It's like being stranded right smack in the middle of an action-packed B grade movie, and while I'd probably fall asleep half way through the flick, I stayed wide awake and my adrenaline was pumping as mad while playing Far Cry.
    Far Cry is the total package; outstanding gameplay, completely groundbreaking graphics, and a storyline and plot filled with surprises and heart pounding excitement.