Final Fantasy VIII PC

8.3

1. Apr 9, 2014
    This is a review of the 2013 PC re-release.

Despite being a decent update to make the game compatible with modern machines, it's a painful reminder of why some good things are better left on the nostalgia shelf. This game was great for its time, but there are too many design decisions that stick out like a sore thumb and make it difficult to enjoy in modern day. Even with the
    This is a review of the 2013 PC re-release.

Even with the improved 3D models, I would still suggest people who want to relive the FF8 experience find a PSX to play it on, as that's the way it was meant to be played. Even if you patch the PSX music into this game (that's right, SE did not update the re-release to use the much-superior PSX soundtrack), it's still a relic of an age past, and the best way to experience relics is to experience them in their original form. Which is on a PSX, with a PS1 controller, with disc swapping, and memory cards that you save your 40+ hour save files onto and live in fear of them randomly corrupting themselves, requiring you to start all over.

This is a good attempt by Square-Enix to make even more profit off products they made in a time when making high-quality games seemed to come naturally to them, but the Square that exists is not the Square that made those games. I would much prefer to see them proving that they can *still* make quality games, as opposed to trying to remind everyone of how much better they used to be.
  2. Sep 13, 2010
    I agree with Xeneous, get the PS1 version
    I agree with Xeneous, get the PS1 version
    All in all, my favorite Final Fantasy game, and i own every FF in the series. With a captivating storyline and a great junction system to power you up, and a scaling system which keeps the game at a somewhat difficult level, FF8 is amazing. If you have not played it, i would definitely recommend buying it. If you can't find a store that still sells ps1 games, it was big enough of a hit that it's now on playstation network to buy.
  3. Jul 26, 2016
    Game: Final Fantasy VIII
    Genre: RPG
    Publisher/Developer: Squareenix/Squaresoft System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 9/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Improved visuals thanks the PC Port - can be scaled up to higher
    Game: Final Fantasy VIII

• Music: 9/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Improved visuals thanks the PC Port - can be scaled up to higher resolutions via a separate menu
    +Boosters which can make the game easy for those who do not want to grind (i.e. gil cheat, magic spell cheat, increase game speed, etc)
    +The ability to play the game in SD similar to PS1 version.
    +Chocobo World comes included digitally unlike the Japanese PS1 version which came separate via a separate piece of hardware
    +Achievements

Cons
    -Music uses midi format and requires modding to implement original PS1 version OST
    -Black borders may appear but not as bad as FFVII
    -Control manual and tutorials have not been updated and use the keyboard's instructions regardless of whether using a controller or not which can lead to frustration through some parts of the game
    -Cutscenes are in low resolution/standard PS1 resolution
    -FPS in battles are still 15 FPS, 30 FPS in world map/towns and 60 FPS in menu just like in the original PS1 version
    -Due to the game having higher resolutions, this can show the polygons/design flaws (this can be removed/fixed via using PS1 resolution setting - there's a setting which makes you play with original PS1 graphics)
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    The three PS1 FF games are all amazing. I would consider this one the worst out of those 3, though... And no, it's not because of the Junction System. Overall, the story was pretty weird and the battles didn't feel as fun as it did in the previous game, FF VII... And a lot of the characters are ----- towards each other. Nevertheless, it's a great game and any FF fan or anyone who wants toThe three PS1 FF games are all amazing. I would consider this one the worst out of those 3, though... And no, it's not because of the Junction System. Overall, the story was pretty weird and the battles didn't feel as fun as it did in the previous game, FF VII... And a lot of the characters are ----- towards each other. Nevertheless, it's a great game and any FF fan or anyone who wants to try FF should definitely pick this one up sometime.

*Yes, the MIDI sound files suck. There's a mod to fix it in the Steam version, though.
  5. Sep 11, 2013
    It is odd how different this game is to the last one. Eveything the last game got right, this one got wrong. and everything the last game got wrong, this game got right. Funny.

For me, FF 8 is one of my favorites. It has a strong story, beautiful graphics (for the time,) interesting and deep characters, and also a large colorful world to explore. Weapons and Magic on the other hand

Weapons and Magic on the other hand is rather poorly done in my opinion. Characters only have a small number to choose from and the magic system is almost pointless to use since your strongest spells are what you usually use to bolster your stats. ie you use magic, you get weaker. Not to mention the Draw system: I hated it! It felt SOOOOOO tedious and needless.

But combat mechanics aside I still enjoyed it immensely. Battles are fun and engaging and the card game is incredibly fun and addictive to play (gotta-get-em-all.)

FF8 is by far more flawed than the last game, but I felt it had more charm and characters that felt more real and down to earth (mostly.) Squall may be a d**k for the most part of the game, but hay! He's a teenager, it isn't really that far of stretch.

Overall:
    Regardless of its flaws. I thought it was charming and a blast to play (even with the draw system.)
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    Cursed MIDI file music prevents a perfect score.
    I never ran into a single issue. Well, maybe it would have been nice if I could set it to tell me to use the Triangle, Square, Circle, and X instead of B1, B2, B3, B4. But beggers cant be choosers, anyone playing this title most likely remembers the controls and if you don't, your going back in time too far.
  7. Dec 23, 2015
    Please. Please somebody explain to me why is this game considered as a "legendary game" if it is so boring and linear. Nowadays there are even better gameboy rpgs than this one! You dont have so much choice in what to do and when to do it or where to go. You always use the same weapons and the same attacks. I just finish the disc one by the way. So painful, boring and unnecesarily long.Please. Please somebody explain to me why is this game considered as a "legendary game" if it is so boring and linear. Nowadays there are even better gameboy rpgs than this one! You dont have so much choice in what to do and when to do it or where to go. You always use the same weapons and the same attacks. I just finish the disc one by the way. So painful, boring and unnecesarily long. And predictable. Expand
  8. Mar 2, 2017
    One thing I really admire about the FF franchise is how they change things up. This game has Guardian Forces (GF, which function like summons) and magic. There's no armor and only a few different weapons. To improve your stats you "junction" a GF to your character, then "junction" magic to your stats. It's confusing at first, but once you figure it out it is very rewarding. Magic is moreOne thing I really admire about the FF franchise is how they change things up. This game has Guardian Forces (GF, which function like summons) and magic. There's no armor and only a few different weapons. To improve your stats you "junction" a GF to your character, then "junction" magic to your stats. It's confusing at first, but once you figure it out it is very rewarding. Magic is more like an item in this game, you can collect up to 100 of each magic by "drawing" it from monsters, draw-points, or refining it from items.

One strange feature of the game is the Triple Triad card game (mini-game), which is simple to play but the way rules are changed is utter chaos. You can get some good items and abilities from playing it, but I advise using a guide or skipping it if you aren't patient.

The story is okay, somewhat of a romance, so that's different.

The characters are lackluster and nowhere near as unique or interesting as the characters in FF7, but the graphics are more realistic.

The game is very good and does not fall short of FF expectations. Bought for $6 on sale, played 70 hours, highly recommend.
  9. Apr 27, 2015
    This was my first Final Fantasy game on my PC. One of the CDs also had the "Eyes on me" song besides the data track. The junction system took a while to get used to, and it punished you for overleveling by making the bosses stronger as well.

Looking back, the story was a bit lackluster, but it was a fun ride. Player made patches for graphic fixes and trainers also made it interesting by changing up what skills your party had, or what GFs they had and when.

There are no critic reviews yet.