Final Fantasy XIV Online PC

3.8

1. Sep 30, 2010
    People are overreacting about this game. Yes. It isn't perfect, but the game reminds me of games like Asheron's Call, popular during the early mmo days. Don't believe the hype, the game is not for everyone and is loaded with problems, but if you like ffxi, give it another chance later on.
  2. Sep 30, 2010
    I played FFXI for four years and loved it. FFXIV comes back with a similar feel but totally different gameplay. Its still a lot of work to get things done like FFXI, but thats what I loved about the game, the feeling of accomplishment when you get something done is impossible to feel anywhere else. Tons of classes and complex crafting systems is going to have me playing for years.I played FFXI for four years and loved it. FFXIV comes back with a similar feel but totally different gameplay. Its still a lot of work to get things done like FFXI, but thats what I loved about the game, the feeling of accomplishment when you get something done is impossible to feel anywhere else. Tons of classes and complex crafting systems is going to have me playing for years. Furthermore, the graphics are beyond any in any MMO yet released. If you didn't like FFXI, I doubt you'll like this one, but if you did, definitely try this one out. Expand
  3. Sep 30, 2010
    It's fun. Just a bunch of whiny kids with no patience.
    A zero? It doesn't even make sense to give this game a zero. Metacritic reviews are worthless. Noone gives an honest review.
    The gameplay is fun. Graphics are great. Story is good. I've never run out of stuff to do. Are there problems? Hell yes there are. Not one of them can't be fixed with time. They already have a ton of stuff
    It's fun. Just a bunch of whiny kids with no patience.
    Are there problems? Hell yes there are. Not one of them can't be fixed with time. They already have a ton of stuff planned to improve the game.
  4. Sep 30, 2010
    Everyone complains about this game because they want it to be perfect and they can't handle the lag with the menus, and how it's so hard to do a trade, when really it's not hard at all. Most people who play FFXIV have played XI and they're so used to how they played XI that they don't want to be open minded about XIV. For example, my dad complained all day about how the Journal doesn'tEveryone complains about this game because they want it to be perfect and they can't handle the lag with the menus, and how it's so hard to do a trade, when really it's not hard at all. Most people who play FFXIV have played XI and they're so used to how they played XI that they don't want to be open minded about XIV. For example, my dad complained all day about how the Journal doesn't help at all, whereas XI didn't even help you with quests. I just think it takes some getting used to. I have no problems maneuvering around town, getting into battles, or doing any crafts. All the menus are easy to figure out and I don't find it to be a hassle. It just takes some common sense and hard work to figure out a game that has no guides. Expand
  5. Sep 30, 2010
    The game isn't as bad as these kids are whining. Anyone who rated 0 or 1 shouldn't be taken seriously. It's impossible to give this game a rating like that even with the problems it has. Theres no such thing as objectivity here.
    Theres a lack of mid-end range content. A few systems are broken and need tweaking. There are barely any bugs. The game runs great. The systems are fine. Gameplay is fun and exciting. Classes are well thought out. Anything thats wrong with it can be fixed with time. Server issues, content, missing systems, lag. The game officially launched TODAY for christ sakes. Kids these days have no idea what an mmo launch is like.
  6. Sep 30, 2010
    This is an amazing game so far. Yes the UI has got some issues, but it's beautiful and there is a lot of potential. I'm spending 6+ hrs in day in it easily each day, getting lost in this amazing world and throughly enjoying myself. Find yourself an amazing LS (I was really lucky to have found one before OB), and off to adventuring you go!
  7. Sep 30, 2010
    This game is AMAZING! The graphics are stunning, Character creation is light years ahead of FFXI, and gameplay is amazing! The most amazing aspect of this game is the crafing and harvesting. While I have always been a crafter in MMORPGs, the crafting system in FFXIV is far more engaging than any other MMO that I have played. Even the harvesting is addicting, which is refreshing. I haveThis game is AMAZING! The graphics are stunning, Character creation is light years ahead of FFXI, and gameplay is amazing! The most amazing aspect of this game is the crafing and harvesting. While I have always been a crafter in MMORPGs, the crafting system in FFXIV is far more engaging than any other MMO that I have played. Even the harvesting is addicting, which is refreshing. I have been looking forward to this game for years and I am NOT disappointed! Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2011
    I love copy-pasta landscapes. I love slow as hell combat. I love bugs and glitches. I love the fact I'm the only person still playing. Therefore I love this game.
  9. Oct 1, 2010
    I like the game, call me crazy, or addicted. No need for "alts", more need for reputation less trolling, win/win imho.

Do everything on one character, all classes, all skills. Horizontal and vertical growth. The higher level behests are fun, and they are every hour. Localleves give you a ton of things to do regarding crafting, and guildleves come quicker now than in beta. I don't think many people even bother giving this game a chance beyond rank 20, just like they did with FFXI, which is rather amusing when I played FFXI for years as well. It's just one of those games, that begs people to bash it. Eh, video gaming in 2010 is not like it was in 1989. GET OFF MY LAWN!
  10. Sep 30, 2010
    I personally quite enjoy this game, however it is not for everyone! This mmo is very Archaic compared to more recently released games. The game does not hold your hand at all and is not afraid of repeatedly kicking your ass. If your expecting a game similar to wow then you should save yourself the trouble and move on. If you are considering this game then it would be in your best interestI personally quite enjoy this game, however it is not for everyone! This mmo is very Archaic compared to more recently released games. The game does not hold your hand at all and is not afraid of repeatedly kicking your ass. If your expecting a game similar to wow then you should save yourself the trouble and move on. If you are considering this game then it would be in your best interest to wait at least a month or two for a major patch. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2010
    Final Fantasy XIV Online, We see alot of these MMOs come and go, right now we have a Saturated Market of F2P P2P and everything inbetween. I think that is why people tend to troll games that are fresh on the market threatening there safe places. I like this game, Im sure we all know of the issues that it has, but truely, what MMO does not have issues on release? CONTENT Promised WILL COME,Final Fantasy XIV Online, We see alot of these MMOs come and go, right now we have a Saturated Market of F2P P2P and everything inbetween. I think that is why people tend to troll games that are fresh on the market threatening there safe places. I like this game, Im sure we all know of the issues that it has, but truely, what MMO does not have issues on release? CONTENT Promised WILL COME, there is alot to do right now! without having to get our heads around MORE CONTENT at this time. its diffrent and thats what makes it special, it will grow on you and you will love it,or you dont want to learn? fairenough its nto a game for you, Pace yourself and enjoy the small things, thats what this game says to us, if you can do that it will reward you. NOT perfect but water it and it will grow into somthing special. Expand
  12. Oct 1, 2010
    A lot of existing graphic and control comments. Here is my review on gameplay.

A lot of existing graphic and control comments. Here is my review on gameplay.

The combat is more tactical, for example as a pugilist soloing I can swing behind a creature and attack before MOB responds and receive a "you hit X from the rear for X damage". Also works for left, and right. This is more of a to-hit bonus than a damage bonus from what I can tell so far, but still cool that I can do it.

You are able to design a character from the ground up with skills and stats that affect both combat and gathering/crafting. You can increase your elemental stats to increase both your damage mitigation and spell damage. Say I want to have more powerful Lighting spells. I increase my lightning affinity. Affinity also affects drop rate for elemental shards used for crafting.

Carry a sword and drop a fireball spell from time to time. The game allows it.

Gathering is a good mini game and you can share nodes with other players so no more "Hey that was my ore site!" As you gain levels in gathering class you receive skills. For example, a speed buff when going from node to node.

Crafting is also a pretty good mini game with things that directly affect results, like using facilities, (just a buff you pay for). Eating food to increase stat and effectiveness. There is still a lot of mystery to crafting, intentional though also a bit tough to figure out. I saw someone make a +1 weapon last night so the possibilities beyond normal results are there. Reminds me of D&D with +1, +2 gear.

FF14 requires you to really give socialization a once over. I am used to doing most things myself in other games. I know this has been tried in the past with varying results, games like EQ2 tried interdependence at launch but they had to tone it down quite a bit. Folks are just now discovering Faction Leves and from what people have said seem grander in scope than the Kill X of X Battle Leves. Faction leves require a certain amount of faction points to receive. You gain points for completing Battle or Crafting leves. I don't even have 100 points yet, so haven't done one myself.

The game tracks things you do in the game but how you see results of that tracking is unknown to me. For example, I received notifications that I completed 10 Crafting leves and another one saying I killed 200 monsters.
  13. Nov 16, 2010
    If you are a fan of WoW, you probably wont be a fan of this game or its interface.

Yes, the interface is DIFFERENT however, it is not bad. It looks that there are several people who have no idea how this MMO was designed. It was DESIGNED to be less cluttered than a standard mmo. Ever looked at someones WoW interface who plays alot? Holy crap its cluttered with stuff that isnt needed! You have all the same things in the FFXIV interface that you do in WoW and then some. The two things many people will be confused by is "Lack of Jumping" and "I hit spacebar to start chatting? o_O". Other than that, everything including interactions flash on the screen like any other mmo (either by cursor or at the top).

The quests are easy enough to find. The MMO focuses more on exploration than the quests though and the guildleves system is very efficient and actually EASIER to use than the system in WoW if you do want them. Do you NEED a giant billboard for "Quest is here?" Honestly, I like a littkle adventure in my MMOs. Yes leveling and finding gear is harder....its almost the exact same as what happened in FFXI (which btw, most of you have probably never played and I'll bet some....no...quite a few are lying about playing too).

This is an MMO for patient people who enjoy scenery...high magic...tons of crafting options...and lots of exploration.

Also, quite knocking the class system. It's virtually identical in nature to the class system of FFXI and resembles tactics (with equiping weapons to change class).

Yes, the game has some glitches (Slow inventory loads and character loads....and that is ONLY if you have a slow machine).

If you intend to run this game, please make sure your computer meets a few or all of the recomended system requirements (I7 processors are very new and expensive for most people right now but, the graphics card is FAR more important than the actual CPU speed of the computer. All you need is a dual core with a good graphics card).

I highly recomend this game to anyone who has the explorers mindset (A mindset that is usually required for games like Ryzom and EVE-Online).
  14. Nov 19, 2010
    This game is not like every other mmo out there. That in itself deserves praise. Soon enough everyone will see this game reach its potential and come in droves. I like it now and its only gonna get better. It retails for a reasonable price. Try it.
    Square-Enix is listening.
  15. Nov 21, 2010
    After about a months play I would give this an 8. You can log in every night and do something different. Level a job, craft or gathering. None of it is simple so you can keep learning how to make new items, or do something better.

I'd like more bagspace, or something to hold all your class weapons and gear. But you start out with 80 spaces yourself and then get one retainer that you can use to hold more with. It takes a while to travel between the cities but they are alll very varied and worth exploring. You also have the option of teleporting to a place once you have gone there, or if a member of your party has done so. I like the music and graphics. However you can not turn off all sounds if you turn off all the settings for music which isnt good if you are watching tv or listening to music while playing. I don't mind the interface because its like ff11 but it would be good if they had given more control over what it does. Like added optional chat filters. Its hard, not everyone will enjoy it but its not shallow. Which is something ive noticed is a becoming a trend in new mmorpgs.
  16. Sep 30, 2010
    A bunch of whiny spoilt kids that expected every game to be flawless at launch scores this game a '0'.
    Even if you hate FFXIV was a passion, you have to admit the graphics are way better beyond any mmo out there currently, which would at the very least be a +2 to the score ratings. The game in itself is unique, it is not like any of the other mmo's out there that are just WoW clones, the game-play is completely different, the combat system is completely different from other mmos; +2.
    FFXIV offers multiple classes that users can play on one character, by switching weapons on your character you will be able to play as a different class which is very diverse and an enjoyable aspect of the game; +2.
    The crafting system is in a whole league by itself, FFXIV made the most detailed, in-depth crafting system to date. The crafting system gives players various options on how they would like to craft their items; each with their pros and cons of course... The crafting system is not just a stupid point and click craft button like WoW and their mmo clone counterparts; FFXIV's craft system gets the players involved in the actual craft and makes the whole experience worthwhile; +2.
    The Storyline in FFXIV is very entertaining and will capture most people's attention with various cutscenes showing your character interacting in the short clips, the story itself which applies to the quests you do takes players through the actual FF journey. +2.

+2 +2 +2 +2 +2 = +10

Sure it has its cons as well, which game doesn't?
    The UI can be confusing when you start off, as the UI is unlike the standard normal typical mmos, not many people will be as comfortable with it at the start. It can be seen as very cumbersome and takes too much type going through the various menus, however one can argue that by doing so, players get more involved with their character that way, they get to control what their character is actually doing with this UI instead of just auto attacking... ;-2.

At the least it should be an 8...
  17. Sep 30, 2010
    The online community of this game is far better then any other ive played with. no trolls no really way for people to annoy you. i havent seen anyone trying to sell gil or been bugged my someone to go to some site that sells it. people that play this game are great to interact with. ui is buggy, markets wards are somewhat if a mess but you can really find things out by interacting andThe online community of this game is far better then any other ive played with. no trolls no really way for people to annoy you. i havent seen anyone trying to sell gil or been bugged my someone to go to some site that sells it. people that play this game are great to interact with. ui is buggy, markets wards are somewhat if a mess but you can really find things out by interacting and talking with people. People who find the game hard should just stop and do something else. if you cant take the time to find simple forum posts on a on a question you have, go play something else. unlike some games this doesnt cater to the casuals as much Expand
  18. Sep 30, 2010
    Good game. In 3-6 months it will be an amazing game. Graphics rock, gameplay is fun. love the story. love the concept. lots to do even at launch.
    Ignore anyone who'se too much of a tool to give an honest review. A 0? seriously? give it a rest. It's at worst a 6 right now. Will easily be a 9 in 6 months
  19. Sep 30, 2010
    I find it funny that 2 of the reviews have sdfg spammed, people who only played beta and refer to lag that has been fixed, a couple reviews who look at the fatigue system as if they were like the rest of us when we first heard about it.

Heres the thing about reviews in the first week of launch, reviews are gonna be terribad. Look at ffxi when it was released in jpn first couple weeks, bad,

now, still considered better than wow.

Just sit back, and relax, FINAL FANTASY (note the caps of the game, you know people play for the name too) XIV will be here to stay.
  20. Sep 30, 2010
    Theres a lot of butthurt kids throwing out zeros because they feel insulted. Grow up and learn to look at something objectively when rating.
    The game has problems, that will be fixed. The gameplay is fun. Graphics great. Story is great. They've already laid out a roadmap of all the things they'll be adding to the game. Don't take these reviews seriously. Some of these people are pathetic.
  21. Oct 24, 2010
    Final Fantasy XIV isn't bad, but it just isn't quite perfect yet. The be=basic gameplay, is all solid, by which I mean combat and exploration. The combat is much slower and more tactical than other MMOs I've played, which is no bad thing, but it takes some getting used to after playing another MMO or even Final Fantasy XIII. The ability to change classes on the fly is useful, fun, wellFinal Fantasy XIV isn't bad, but it just isn't quite perfect yet. The be=basic gameplay, is all solid, by which I mean combat and exploration. The combat is much slower and more tactical than other MMOs I've played, which is no bad thing, but it takes some getting used to after playing another MMO or even Final Fantasy XIII. The ability to change classes on the fly is useful, fun, well thought-out and unique. Eorzea is a huge and unique world, too, from the sprawling forests of Gridania to the shining towers of Limsa Lominsa to the glorious desert of Ul'dah. It;s just fun to see what's around the next corner.

The biggest problems on the gameplay side lie in two places, the economy and general performance. The economy is a free market, with no auction house as of yet, which makes buying and selling... chaotic. It takes a long time to do anything. I can see why Square did this, since when other MMOs have launched without established prices, the economy has been ruined by real-life profiteers, but some better organisation would have been appreciated. However, Square are patching this out in the next update - a search function is coming and the market will be sorted into different wards based on item types. Furthermore, there is actually a space for an AH in-game, so one should be patched in when the economy settles down.

General performance is the other bugbear. Crystal Tools looks beautiful whatever it is on, but FFXIV makes it evident that it wasn't built for the PC. There is slowdown even on the best connection and with a top-spec PC. Hopefully, with patches, though, this should improve too. A qualm which lots of people have, but one which hasn't really bothered me, is the menu system. It was evidently built for a pad, and can be a bit slow to navigate, but it hasn't bothered me. However, if they ever patch in menu hotkeys, that would be a godsend. For now, though, I'm happy to navigate the main menu. The graphics are stunning. I've already said that Crystal Tools is a beautiful engine, and this proves it - even on the lowest spec the game looks great. But that's the problem - the lowest spec is still an expensive, powerful computer. If you can run it, though, expect to be blown away. The sound is equally impressive. Nobuo Uematsu was sorely missed in FFXII and XIII, and his return is indeed a glorious one. The one big turn-off for most would-be players is the user-friendliness. In-game help is little - expect to ask a lot of questions over chat, or have a second computer on call to type in queries. The game is hard - there is no handholding going on here. That's either a godsend or hell on earth to you. In short, FFXIV is the opposite to WoW in every aspect - hard to WoW's easy, slow to WoW's fast. When Square sort out the main problems, which would seem to be a simple matter through a few patches, then FFXIV's reputation can improve, and this game can truly become great. This is no APB - the juggernaut company behind it won't let it's juggernaut franchise fail. If I haven't sold you, then I implore you to check back when the PS3 version launches and these problems are ironed out. Join now, and while the stakes are great, the rewards are even greater.
  22. Oct 7, 2010
    While the UI does need work, you can play easily enough with a gamepad. As it is simply launch and updates / fixes are bound to pop up I think this game has potential. Not to mention the stunning graphics and beautiful music. I started out as a Lalafell in Ul'dah and the intro was quite amazing graphically. For this game to be a hit, they have to work on implimenting more elements fromWhile the UI does need work, you can play easily enough with a gamepad. As it is simply launch and updates / fixes are bound to pop up I think this game has potential. Not to mention the stunning graphics and beautiful music. I started out as a Lalafell in Ul'dah and the intro was quite amazing graphically. For this game to be a hit, they have to work on implimenting more elements from FFXI. Namely the /sea function, some form or AH and the function keys to target your party members. It would also be nice to have confirmations appears on screen instead of having them only appear in the main menu.

One thing I really liked is how crafting gives you experience, both craft and physical. I spent a relaxing day fishing and didn't have to worry about grinding to get exp. I hope more recipees and the ability to sell things more easier gets included in later upgrades.

All in all, if you can get past the UI hickups, this is a fun game to play.
  23. Oct 1, 2010
    If you enjoyed FFXI, you'll enjoy this without a doubt. The game has really brought back the feeling of immersion, and why we play MMOs in the first place: Community!
  24. Oct 1, 2010
    Honestly, I bought Final Fantasy XIV as just that - a Final Fantasy. The single player RPGs in the series have never rated high on my preference list, though I've enjoyed them, however I've always felt the worlds portrayed by the series would play so much better as online worlds.

And, as such, just as I was excited for Final Fantasy XI, I was (and remain) excited for Final Fantasy XIV. And I honestly have to say, it delivered. Final Fantasy XIV presented me with a unique and compelling world and what's more, actually asked me to set about exploring it.

Now, I will not deny this game has flaws - it has quite a few. But I've always maintained it unbelievably stupid to judge an MMORPG on the flaws it exhibits in its first year, let alone first month. I'll come back and start niggling over resolvable issues then, maybe. For now, I see potential, and I like the basic systems I'm presented with, along with the world and the basis for the kind of roleplay I enjoy.

I expected pretty much exactly what I got from Final Fantasy XIV; a good world, a good story, and enjoyable battle system, an actually fun crafting system, and a unique take on the systems so generally formulaic in modern MMO games.

Is Final Fantasy XIV for everyone? Very likely not. But for me, it's very much the online RPG I've been looking for to replace Ragnarok Online the best part of a decade, and I'm pleased to have bought a Collector's Edition. What's more, it's remarkably friendly to the casual player - if you define casual as a player with limited time available, which describes me perfectly given my recent return to university. The experience system is geared to give large bursts for a short time after login, and then level out should you attempt to grind; just how I like it.

Sorry if this isn't the most useful review ever, but simply put, I'm having fun and I'm sure there are a lot of people who will also, so long as their only definition of 'fun' isn't the formulaic, Western MMORPG, or bust.
  25. Oct 8, 2010
    Fantastic game, played every day since the 22nd of september and i am not bored one bit. looking forward to what it brings in the future, excellent graphics, soundtrack and character progression and many choices regarding skills and a tailor your own type of class makes this game unmissable.
  26. Jae
    Oct 5, 2010
    Game doesn't deserve all the hate it is getting. The game plays nice and looks great. It is lacking in content, which is obviously going to be provided throughout the life of the game. I hated the keyboard/mouse controls from FFXI but am perfectly fine with them here. Takes a powerful computer to run. Has real potential.. but a lot of it is going to hang in the air until SE releasesGame doesn't deserve all the hate it is getting. The game plays nice and looks great. It is lacking in content, which is obviously going to be provided throughout the life of the game. I hated the keyboard/mouse controls from FFXI but am perfectly fine with them here. Takes a powerful computer to run. Has real potential.. but a lot of it is going to hang in the air until SE releases patches. It has more potential then any mmorpg I have seen released in the last 5 or so years. Expand
  27. Oct 5, 2010
    Graphics are top notch, user interface is a bit wonky and really needs a gamepad and it's not going to register with people used to playing WoW (the game by its very nature works on a different paradigm). It'll be most friendly to people who played FFXI, fans of the series already, and people who are looking for an MMO that's just a little new and different.
  28. Oct 1, 2010
    If an individual wished for an MMO that did not feel it should copy World of Warcraft, this would be the one. Challenging and Complex to boot. It caters to a more hardcore gamer than those with a mentality that wishes for instant gratification. The graphics are outstanding, quite frankly the best of any MMO out there. It also has, in my opinion, one of the most in depth crafting systemsIf an individual wished for an MMO that did not feel it should copy World of Warcraft, this would be the one. Challenging and Complex to boot. It caters to a more hardcore gamer than those with a mentality that wishes for instant gratification. The graphics are outstanding, quite frankly the best of any MMO out there. It also has, in my opinion, one of the most in depth crafting systems out there. While it does have some problems with lag and other minor inconveniences. A die hard Final Fantasy fan should find the game to their liking. Expand
  29. Oct 6, 2010
    Funny to see so many people hate the UI when its exceedingly simple, more so than other popular MMO UI's. If using the keyboard you just press the Home key and boom, a menu for every window in the game, even a top section for context sensitive options. It's just that easy.

I'm not a fan of the market system, and can't imagine it not getting some overhauls with the amount of pressure they are receiving. Seems a lot of people's dislikes are directly related to the fact that the systems aren't typical of the WoW clones. People complain they can't find the right vendors because they don't have a label, but then the weapon vendor has his own stall and is surrounded by guess what, WEAPONS. The systems and methods are atypical so people have a hard time getting used to them, but they work fine.
  30. Oct 17, 2010
    Graphisms are absolutly Amazing !!!! Craft system is very deep, hard and interconnected. Leves are a good way to group and meet people from everywhere in the world. Traductions are very good, animations wonderfull. Only things that are not good are : UI and target system. But it will be fixed very soon with next patchs. So, i don't worry about the future of FF XIV !

1. PC Games (Russia)
    Mar 21, 2011
    Positively, there is nothing to do in Final Fantasy XIV at the moment. It's not even close to a completed product. [Feb 2011, p.82]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 15, 2011
    MMORPG with great potential is sunken by fatal bugs and errors – first comes a catastrophic interface followed by the absence of player-to-player communication. [Issue#199]
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 11, 2011
    For hardware nuts, Final Fantasy obsessives and PS3 owners, FFXIV does offer a fairly distinctive MMO experience. [Christmas 2010, p.94]