Firefall PC

6.7

1. Jun 22, 2016
    Firefall is game with a long and troubled history. I wish I could say it has evolved, but it's really more like a mutation. And not the kind that gets you a snazzy yellow uniform, either. Read any of the top reviews here on Steam these days and you'll get an idea of what I mean. But, somewhere, buried under the encroaching pay2win, persistent bugs new and old, missing and removed contentFirefall is game with a long and troubled history. I wish I could say it has evolved, but it's really more like a mutation. And not the kind that gets you a snazzy yellow uniform, either. Read any of the top reviews here on Steam these days and you'll get an idea of what I mean. But, somewhere, buried under the encroaching pay2win, persistent bugs new and old, missing and removed content like endgame areas, story missions, items and even an entire class, inferior new voiceovers, and high staff turnover...

Is a game I have enjoyed playing since the first time I tried it at PAX East, years ago, and I have played it on and off ever since. I can fully understand why so many hardcore players have been driven away over the years as the nebulous Red5 has tried, instead of expanding upon the game's original foundation, tried continually to reinvent it only to have it ♥♥♥♥ bugs like it got kissed by a facehugger. I hear them lament the loss of their endgame content and hard-won (or paid for) epic items, and I comprehend. However, speaking purely from personal experience, I never partook of such in this or indeed any MMO since my bad experiences participating in a raiding guild in WoW. I have always found Firefall excellent for solo unwinding and casual cooperative play with friends. It has fun vehicles, glider pads, cooldown-based abilities, the ability to switch classes on one character, plentiful ammo and health pickups, beautiful environments, random world events to particpate in, cool armor designs, fun weapons, frequent rewards and bonuses, and of course: Aero and Oilspill, the friendly voices in your ear through the years. The core of what I believe makes Firefall a good game remains alive, and there is still a chance for it to become the game it was meant to be.
  2. Aug 12, 2014
    Quite a sorry show. Despite what the professional reviews are saying, this is not an original concept. The game is very nearly a carbon copy of Global Agenda, a game more highly reviewed by professional and gamer alike. Unsurprisingly, the game has released in a similarly poor launch to a market with less patience. I guess this won't be the Global Agenda "killer" (as if it needed one) after all.
  3. Jul 30, 2014
    In theory it should be a good game. Open world shooter with mechs(or mechish suits, whatever). Unfortunately the game is just tedious to play. Run across the map to kill 6 mobs, just to run across the map and kill 6 more mobs.

It's also full of bugs and horrible AI.

Maybe they should've taken another 2 years to build the game, because the concept is great...but the game is just awful.
  4. Jan 21, 2015
    Completely devoid of any challenge in any way shape or form. Exceedingly grindy standard mmo repetitive questing crap.

The only reason it doesn't have a zero, is the somewhat random events that happen in the field (Think of random crap from Red dead Redemption that you found everywhere but with much less variety)
  5. Aug 6, 2014
    Firefall is a pretty interesting game, but that wears off very quick. It's simply because of the bland quests and lack of storyline that eventually you have to wonder "what is there to do in the game?" . However, in a strange twist, the game has stunning visuals ( not graphics), ok gameplay , and not many, if any game breaking issues like are found in some other games. Also, this is a MMO,Firefall is a pretty interesting game, but that wears off very quick. It's simply because of the bland quests and lack of storyline that eventually you have to wonder "what is there to do in the game?" . However, in a strange twist, the game has stunning visuals ( not graphics), ok gameplay , and not many, if any game breaking issues like are found in some other games. Also, this is a MMO, not a fps, so don't forget it. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2014
    PvP:
    -The pvp is horrible, some people say just wait and they will get it balanced but after years of beta its not even close to being balanced.
    -The goals in pvp leads to anti-fun base trading since you need extreme number of rewards to trade for gear upgrade. -You can enter PvP before you are max lvl on a frame but as lvl30 out of 40 you will get 1 shoted and with the best pvp frame
    PvP:
    -You can enter PvP before you are max lvl on a frame but as lvl30 out of 40 you will get 1 shoted and with the best pvp frame at lvl30 with best equipment you need 7-9 headshots to kill a lvl40 enemy while he needs 2 bodyshoot or 1headshoot to kill you.

PvE:
    -This actually has potential but the game has very little content and no chance they will be able to produce new content to slake your hunger for new content. best you can hope for is to play it for 10days every 3 months.
    -Ares quests are a big part of lvling up and they are
    run to X--> talk npc--> run X kill 10+spiders/bandits--> run to start. Those who defend them usually say things like "dont mind ares" "you get decent exp/time why you complaining" "its not that much running". Even their defenders admit they are wildly unpopular and hated for their sheer dependance on running between locations.

Good stuff:
    -Contol over your character the jetpack mechanics of being able to jump like the hulk and hover in the air like iron man leads you to feel like a super-skilled-ninja player when you dodge shots like spiderman. Even if your not as myself even halfway decent in shooters it gives you that gut feeling of Im-Good!. Could have been a fun offline game if they had built on this and made a fun main campaign but as a mmo it keeps giving you Missions that are 80% running and such a tiny amount of content and PvP that forces you to play in a antifun way with unbalanced "classes"

All in all id say dip your toes into it for around 10days or so and then get up quickly before the "potential" trap catches you. When it comes to mmos its better to be wise then intelligent
  7. Sep 28, 2014
    Really surprised with this game, I downloaded it for free on Steam out of sheer boredom and it's turned out to be one of, if not the best modern MMO I've played. The game runs smoothly, the map is enormous, gun combat works really well and jet packing around the map is super fun. I've been doing various quests with a friend of mine and been having a pretty good time. The in-game supportReally surprised with this game, I downloaded it for free on Steam out of sheer boredom and it's turned out to be one of, if not the best modern MMO I've played. The game runs smoothly, the map is enormous, gun combat works really well and jet packing around the map is super fun. I've been doing various quests with a friend of mine and been having a pretty good time. The in-game support from players is also amazing. If ever I have a noob question to ask, I just type it in the chat box and receive immediate replies.

Only downside of the game is the micro transactions. As expected with a free-to-play game, there's a heavy emphasis on buying additional items for your character using their beans credits. It is kind of annoying as nearly every screen I go on has some option to 'buy this with beans'. However, it's still perfectly playable without having to pay a penny!
  8. Sep 14, 2014
    After playing for around two years, very heavily at first, then only off and on when it was clear the devs were not listening. But after going back and playing the last to weeks I cant help but feel as though this game is the absolute shining example of squandered opportunity. It sad really, it had so much potential, you can see it everywhere you look in and at the game. But at the end ofAfter playing for around two years, very heavily at first, then only off and on when it was clear the devs were not listening. But after going back and playing the last to weeks I cant help but feel as though this game is the absolute shining example of squandered opportunity. It sad really, it had so much potential, you can see it everywhere you look in and at the game. But at the end of the day, you find yourself struggling to find a reason to stick around especially when you start the crafting gear grind.
    It is unique you have to give it that, and is worth a look just for that alone. But it falls short pretty much everywhere, something you see after a month or two.
  9. Aug 9, 2014
    Enjoyed it, Has some decent gameplay perks. Nothing I've ever seen before in most RPGMMO's! Sadly it has some really buggy features but they're nothing that can't be changed in a future update. The level system is kinda bad, PvP is meh, AI is horrible and some missions/quests can be a real drag due to having very little mobs in the game. Graphics are nice but some of the particle andEnjoyed it, Has some decent gameplay perks. Nothing I've ever seen before in most RPGMMO's! Sadly it has some really buggy features but they're nothing that can't be changed in a future update. The level system is kinda bad, PvP is meh, AI is horrible and some missions/quests can be a real drag due to having very little mobs in the game. Graphics are nice but some of the particle and post-fx are just plain ugly. Transport around the map is very fluid and it's a really good looking map. You can tell its very borderlands inspired.
    6/10 from me for the game having some gameplay elements you can enjoy and very nice art-style, They should of spent some more development time just polishing off the game, but its a good concept to say the least!
  10. EMG
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very fun and fast paced FPS MMO. It had a rocky development but as it stands now, it is worth the time. Being a F2P you should at least give it a try. Beautiful map, fluid gun play and an interesting story. The ability to use boosters and gliders appeal to tribes fans while the shooting is similar to Borderlands. Overall a fun experience.
  11. Aug 6, 2014
    First things first; This game deserve none of the 10's or 0's. It is neither perfect (nothing is) nor terrible as some may lead you to believe.

The world of Firefall is beautiful. But at the same time, it feels empty. Over time, I only hope they'll add more event types, and distribute them around. Story is OK-ish, sounds are fine, gunplay is enjoyable. But the real problem I have with this game is, the identity crisis it is going through.

It wants to be a shooter. Then it wants to have RP elements. Over the beta phases, it has changed drastically, and I don't believe they have tested all of these changes properly. Many of the depth has been removed from the game, and now what we have is a shooter with a very shallow progression system. I wish they kept some of the complexity rather than trying to streamline everything.

Overall, I enjoy the game, but sometimes it feels like a chore. But as a F2P title, you should at least give it a chance.

(over 100, Graphics: 85, Sound: 60, Music: 70, Gameplay: 60, Progression: 30, Story/World: 50)
  12. Dec 8, 2014
    Firefall is a mediocre MMORPG which looks interesting for a week or so, but then you realize it's repetitive, boring chore. Due to internal turmoils game lost direction mid-way through development and final version is only what was salvaged from the original innovation idea. This game brought insane amount of disappointment. Just 5 months after release game lost 90% of it's player base andFirefall is a mediocre MMORPG which looks interesting for a week or so, but then you realize it's repetitive, boring chore. Due to internal turmoils game lost direction mid-way through development and final version is only what was salvaged from the original innovation idea. This game brought insane amount of disappointment. Just 5 months after release game lost 90% of it's player base and is dropping by at least -20% of active player base every month. It's not that bad as to give it score of 0, more like 5ish, but It's a train wreck with no chance of reboot and that flatlines my score. Expand
  13. Aug 2, 2014
    I have been having a blast playing this, I got so sidetracked interacting with other players and the environment that I forgot all about the mission I was on for 2hours, but I helped out 6 different groups of people which was pretty satisfying. Looking forward to playing more.
  14. Aug 21, 2014
    Okay, first of all, a good bit of negative reviews you will inevitably see for this game are from bitter beta players. This game had a 2+year beta period, and it changed direction so many times in that timeframe that just about nobody got the exact snippet of that beta they wanted to become the full game.

The game is actually one of the more pleasant MMO games out there, the grind is

The game is actually one of the more pleasant MMO games out there, the grind is short, probably won't even take you 4 days to max a class playing fairly casually, the mechanics are a bit fresh, and it manages a decent blend of shooter and hotbar MMO, with the emphasis largely being on shooter with just a few skills with long cooldowns. As of the most recent patch content in this game is up 3 or 4 fold from its release levels, there isn't more unique content, there's just now more content in the game to play. There however, is plenty of content for a game that has just released, and more to come.

This is a game I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys shooters, or shooters and MMOs, but probably not to the classic MMO fan. It's free, and there's no pay to win, so if you're looking for something to try, give it a shot.
  15. Aug 12, 2014
    To be honest i shouldnt buy that motorcycle because this game is terible. gameplay is boring,, questing is boring, everything sucks and boring, only good thing about this game is graphics, even crafting is boring
  16. Jul 29, 2014
    I have been playing this game since early access started 2 weeks ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. It plays very smoothly on my laptop and the jumpjets give an incredibly amount of depth and truly make the game a 3 dimensional world.

I have enjoyed every part of this game. It brings the skill of a standard FPS, wraps it in the progression of an MMORPG and tops it off with a great fully voiced storyline with memorable characters. Additionally it sports a well done free to play model where all items are available to a person who does not pay.

I would definitely recommend trying this game out and hope you like it enough to throw some money at the Red 5 so they can continue developing this enjoyable game.
  17. Sep 3, 2014
    the graphics,textures,and landscapes for this game on ultra settings are amazing and beautiful. but the put to little detail into the characters,and enemies. and game play is not the best. i would recommend this game to someone who wants a visual treat.but not for someone who enjoys good gameplay
  18. Aug 3, 2014
    I was tantalized to try out the beta of Firefall a year ago, I loved what I saw, and could only hope for what was coming. I thought the game had spectacular vision and charm--and, like coffee, beer, and Star Trek, would inevitably be an acquired taste, something some people would love up front while others would have to endure before they could appreciate it.

The vision of Firefall as

The vision of Firefall as it was during development, became something else at launch. It *was* a classic PvP game like Tribes, with instanced balanced PvP gameplay of the e-sports variety, but apparently the execution of e-sports was so deliberate and premature that the testers began to hate it and began demanding only the open world PvE experience of an MMORPG. As Red 5 added more open world content, players took time out to explore it, and PvP instances couldn't even launch. So they threw out balanced PvP instances altogether. Thus the game became a different beast altogether.

In the end Firefall has become a game that doesn't really do anything *well*. It does a lot, a heck of a lot, just fine, with decent graphics and sound. But while there are PvP features in the game (duels and open world PvP in designated places) this isn't a PvP game, and it's also not an RPG, and it's sort of an FPS but the AI system couldn't handle the scale of many players so, at launch, a lot of interesting content was thrown out just like PvP was thrown out a year prior to launch. The notions of thumpers and tiki torches and Chosen put the game on the right track--really great ideas to build on and replicate--but new ideas seemed to have frozen to a halt some time prior to launch. The world is massive, but there's not much going on in it. In the end you have an okay game, extremely stable on the client, quite playable in its mechanics, but quite mediocre in its creativity and content. I cannot recommend this game until they add a LOT more campaign missions, dramatically soup up operations (AI servers etc) to restore the experience I enjoyed on the test servers during development, and turn PvP back on while finding a PvP matchmaking strategy that brings players together once again. Until then, this game is a tragic premature birth.
  19. Aug 20, 2014
    Stealth Nerf's are constant in this game. They do not know how to fine tune things and instead swing the pendulum from side to side hoping the few seconds it is good is sufficient to keep customers around, then they dont tell you it is being done.

For a game that has been in beta for 3 years it feels more like its just starting beta. Lack of content is another major issue. The Costs

The Costs associated with crafting are abysmally brutal.
    8560 credits to unlock the ability to craft high level gear in one tree, that does not include the costs associated with getting to that point. Then the costs really begin. 20K credits worth in mats to be able to make it. Or the equivalency of grinding for the mats for weeks on end.

Bottom line, its a game that had a ton of potential and they squandered it. They have repeatedly thrown out what was good and thrown in something untried that people did not want.
  20. Feb 26, 2016
    There are SO many things wrong with this game, I can't fit all the problems in 5000 words sadly (Trust me I tried).
    So, I'll just be short:
    *No balance *No content *Pay2Win (You can litteraly pay money in exchange for direct bonus damage, energy and speed) *Developers cutting away content for no reason. *Developers removing free content people grinded for to sell it back to us for
    So, I'll just be short:

*No balance
    *No content
    *Developers cutting away content for no reason.
    *Developers removing free content people grinded for to sell it back to us for real money.
    *Developers censoring critisism.
    *No optimization.
    *Insanely **** servers.
    *Developers completely ignore feedback they ask for.
    *Developers remove fun parts of the game that have no effect in balance.

I could keep going on and providing detail on each one of those, but honestly, there's no room.
  21. Sep 14, 2014
    It is not an easy game to play, so if you have not previous experience playing other games you will have problems handling this one, otherwise you will enjoy this fast faced FPS/TPS MMO. Some people are complaining about the transportation in the game, but I think it is because they have not experimented with all the ways to travel in the game apart from walking and the motorbike, useIt is not an easy game to play, so if you have not previous experience playing other games you will have problems handling this one, otherwise you will enjoy this fast faced FPS/TPS MMO. Some people are complaining about the transportation in the game, but I think it is because they have not experimented with all the ways to travel in the game apart from walking and the motorbike, use your brain a bit and soon you will solve this problem that for some others is the end of the world as we know it.
    There is not necessary to do missions in the game even when they are really easy to pick up from the board. Leveling is relatively fast (again only if you use your brain. I got level 40 in the second world when it is suppose to happen in the third one) Regarding the gear: you can loot it, create it, exchange it, buy it in the market with fake money, and of course the old fashion style "buy it with real money".
    Pay for win or play for win? I did not expend one single coin in the game (Max level right now and still playing) but I will like to help them cause the pretty job they did. So No! no need to spend money to be good in this game, it is absolute Free To Play. So give it a try I will say until level 15, believe me it is really easy to get level 15 and, see if you like it or no, because I am loving it.
  22. VRH
    Aug 17, 2014
    It used to be a shooter with open world and dynamic events, now its just another mmorpg with ridiculous level system for a shooter, segregating players with zone levels thus making a game not so "open world", pvp is broken, arena pvp is missing, nothing actually happening in game except job boards which are running simulator. There is no sign of any war going on, no diversity in weapons,It used to be a shooter with open world and dynamic events, now its just another mmorpg with ridiculous level system for a shooter, segregating players with zone levels thus making a game not so "open world", pvp is broken, arena pvp is missing, nothing actually happening in game except job boards which are running simulator. There is no sign of any war going on, no diversity in weapons, no diversity in customizing a character, once you get max level 40 you got nothing to do in the game...in short, it is just sad what they have done to once brilliant original and mostly important FUN mmo shooter... Expand
  23. Aug 3, 2014
    Firefall is something of a conundrum. Expect a FPS and you'll come out deceived. Expect and MMORPG and you'll come out deceived. Both elements lack the depth of true games of that genre. As it's a shooter quests you know quests are going to be along the lines of "kill X of this or Y of that". This game has every element to be absolutely meh.

And yet, somehow, it has appeal. It's fairly

And yet, somehow, it has appeal. It's fairly innovative and gear and crafting especially works pretty well. Quests are repetitive but its storyline set-up is fun and there's stuff to do everywhere. You have your quests, there's public quests and there's gathering resources, which works even when helping others. And so you glide (yes, there's gliding, jumping and such) from quest hub to quest hub clocking hour after hour.

Yeah, the AI is weak. The UI is kind of sluggish, the economy hasn't gotten under way and there's many more things. As I said, this game has everything to be absolutely mediocre...

and yet.... it's fun. I'm not sure how long it'll be fun, but for now that's what it is. Fun.
  24. Aug 15, 2014
    this game does not have good graphics, but i love the voice acting and such amazing map and actions. this game IS VERY LAGGY but turns out the graphics are not too good. there are too much objects (and entities) so the map is very messy (though its kind of beautiful) that you basically cant see the enemy. i didn't really enjoy the game.
  25. Aug 1, 2014
    The quests are horrible (repetitive and boring). its run 500m, kill a bunch of things, run another in another direction, kill some more stuff. This is repeated several times for each quest, every SINGLE quest. The side missions only come in a handful of flavors and after you've done a few, you've seen them all. Character building is a bit lacking and limited.
    Gameplay is fun, in short
    Gameplay is fun, in short bursts I guess. Though hardcore players will probably find alot lacking from Firefall
  26. Jul 31, 2014
    Ive been following and playing FireFall for 3 years now. Ive seen both company, game and community grow over this time. Being a World of Warcraft player since 2004, I have never found a mmo that could keep me hooked long enough, Ive finally found that game ive always wanted to play.

FireFall is possibly the best and most polished free to play games on the market at the moment. The game promises future content backed by a truly dedicated and passionate company we know as Red 5 Studios.

I recommend FireFall to any passionate gamer to try the game out, after all it is free....
  27. Aug 19, 2014
    Great game, having tons of fun and the most beautiful part is: its free!! Good sounds, graphics are not outstanding but okay, nice worlds, good voiceovers, good missions and MP (coop with a friend) works perfect. The upgrading is slow but I like slow paced games.
  28. Sep 13, 2014
    Very satisfied with Red 5 studio's goal. F2P What more can you ask? Huge map, huge story and huge guns. Download it, play it. Maybe you get to see my huge Dreadnaught ;p
  29. Aug 3, 2014
    The only thing good about this game is the graphics and soundtrack. Quests are insanely repetitive and buggy. AI is terrible. End game is non-existent. Poor skill system. Poor balancing between classes. Really really bad PvP. I had supported this game during beta and was extremely disappointed. Gave it another 20 hours over a year later at launch and was even more disappointed. Squad/ArmyThe only thing good about this game is the graphics and soundtrack. Quests are insanely repetitive and buggy. AI is terrible. End game is non-existent. Poor skill system. Poor balancing between classes. Really really bad PvP. I had supported this game during beta and was extremely disappointed. Gave it another 20 hours over a year later at launch and was even more disappointed. Squad/Army system is very rudimentary. A lot was promised and Red 5 DID NOT deliver.
    0/10 as 6.2 is WAY more than this game deserves. I would not give it more than a 3(for graphics/soundtrack)

Overall Summary: Very poorly executed gameplay with a good OST and very good graphics.
  30. Aug 8, 2014
    I loved Tribes Ascend, I liked Borderlands. Combine those 2 awesome and epic games, and we got Firefall. Haven't tried the game in Beta but right now, the changes that the dev made is what made me look back and try this game again.

1. Jan 5, 2015
    Firefall probably is the most innovative MMO of the last period, whose indisputable merits are, however, counterbalanced by significant technical gaps as well as a general flatness of end-game contents. Worth much, but it could've been even better.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 24, 2014
    The story of Firefall’s development (9 years!) is much more interesting than the game itself. [Nov 2014, p.54]
  3. Games Master UK
    Sep 19, 2014
    The potential is there in the gunplay, but it's covered with shonky visuals and lifeless, grinding action. [Nov 2014, p.73]