7.9

1. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is a gem of an ARPG, it perfectly melds action, and puzzles. Forcing you to use your brain, and not just go in swinging your weapon.
    The game looks good, using a beautiful graphical style, and using API's that allow for multi-platform and cross-platform gaming.
    It's difficult though, and that's a good thing, after several tries you might finally have something click, and you'll
    realise just how easy that Trial actually is. Which again emphasises that you have to think on your feet, while trying to fight off a myriad of different enemies. You're forced to rely on your teammates, and the game is nothing short of a brilliant team emotional roller-coaster at times.

I would highly recommend this game for anyone interested in a great team-based puzzle action rpg.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    Forced is a beautiful, challenging game with one of the best co-op experiences to date also offering cross-platform co-op experience, I would highly recommend picking up this game.
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    I might be biased, in that I really love co-op couch games. But forced really proved to be a fantastic experience for me and my group of friends when we tried it recently!
    The Orb mechanic was both new and excitingly interesting, I really love what they've done with it, though I must say that it mostly shines in multiplayer.
    I was surprised at the amount of content for the relatively low
    price, and even though it was only early access, it all seemed very polished! If you and some friends are looking for a way to spend a couple of weekends, this is a great buy!
    It's also got a ranking list for those of you looking for a little competition, and we've already planned to dominate at least one of the maps' highscore.
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    I'm so very glad I was able to buy a new game with a low price that I absolutely loved! Great with friends and still great while solo, like when you play solo every trial should be possible for you to complete, and when you do Co-op play most of the trials would change where it wouldn't be possible to beat solo.

Forced is well worth getting, and everyone should definitely give something
    like this a shot! Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    Every once in a while a game will come out and focuses on its Co-Op elements. Most of the time co-op is just another additional mode, other times co-op is the core and best of the games experience. Forced is one of those games and finally Forced makes co-op meaningful!

Forced makes you play as a slave soon turned into a gladiator to fight for you own freedom. This means that you will
    have to make your way through these trials that are full of challenge with a spirit mentor that both guides you but also acts as one of the core gameplay elements. Whilst the story does not feel like the story will win any awards it at least does what any game should, that is to give a context for the gameplay.

Forced is defined as Tactical Arena Co-Op and whilst it provides a singleplayer to a four player co-op, Forced is indeed one of the best Co-Op experiences you can have. The game has trials that you can decide to take on, increasing in complexity and gameplay elements as you complete one after another. Once you start as the slave you can decide which of the classes you want to use and that also work differently from each other with their own specific active and passive skills that you can decide upon before each trial. Each trial also is what gains you crystals. Crystals stand as a way to level your character up in Forced by giving you three Crystals on each trials that you need to earn by completing three objectives. The objectives to be met and therefore gain crystals include just simply surviving and completing the trial, complete a specific challenge that is different for each trial and finally complete the trial under a set time. The reason this actually mean something is the fact that those who will take their time gaining more crystals on each trial they can get stronger classes quicker and therefore opening up more options.

Specifically on the co-op side of things, choosing classes and trying to combine strengths is one of the most fun aspects and certain combinations can make certain trials both easier or harder. From personal experience, playing with a friend and communicating your wt through these trials is where the game shines because teamwork is important and it tests both the players ability and ability to function as a team. For an example you can decide on having The Spirit Blades class that does a lot of quick hits to increase ‘marks’ that eventually make the enemies much easier to finish off whilst your friend can use the Volcanic Hammer class. The Spirit Mentor is another huge chunk of what takes the game to another level and that is because controlling this spirit is what actually used to get through trials. Each player can control this spirit how they will and the spirit will follow at the point the player hits the button, a simple idea that gets complex by introducing shrines that require the spirit to activate healing powers or destroying spawn points of enemies. Timing and good communication is not optional especially if frustration is wanted to be avoided.

Visually Forced has nothing to fault it on because whilst there are no graphical achievement the game gets its look from the design of both its environments and characters. The same could be said about the sound design but overall this is a pretty game that fits the game and genre.

Forced is that co-op game that gamers who enjoy a bit of challenge and are willing to put some time with friends can find a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction. It offers replay value and enough options to justify the game price through local and online co-op with still the option to take on this game on your own. The game is simply fun, with no particular issues that bring down the game instead it is a proof that co-op games have not yet given their best but that games like Forced are pushing this element as much as they can and with very successful results.
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    If you enjoy RPG/Co-op games, you should buy this one.
    Its also one of the best games if you're having a LAN-party with your friends, and needs something to play.
  7. Oct 29, 2013
    I love this game. It combines strategy with action and actually does require a bit of intelligence.
    The characters are kept more like the contestants of Smash TV, vague, such that the connection is more to the weapon of choice than a silly face. It perfectly melds action, and puzzles. Forcing you to use your brain, and not just go in swinging your weapon. A good portion of the
    challenges make you think, "No, that's impossible." And maybe it is, until you get a lot better. The skill gained during this game is really thinking and decision making skill. Only a couple of the endgame skills actually make your character a good deal stronger, and still situationally you may choose a few of the earlier skills anyways.

The game looks great and runs great. The music sets the mood quite well.

The multiplayer suffers from the connection quality of the host. If they have an open router and a good connection then it's a good experience for all. I don't see how it could be any other way.

There are a few glitches, which forced me to reset the game a couple times, however due to the nature of the quick levels, I never lost anything of merit, and it never interrupted any of my multiplayer games.
  8. Oct 24, 2013
    The fun-factor of this game is extraordinary, especially the multiplayer. FORCED has beautiful graphics, challenging puzzles and a unique mechanic, the spirit mentor, which really adds to the co-op experience. I really like the story of the developer too. If you haven't checked it (the game and the story both) out yet, I highly recommend it!
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    This is incredible. I bought four for $33 bucks and I'm so happy with this game. The balance is incredible between characters, there's tremendous strategy if you choose to learn it, and there's parts where teamwork is very rewarding. Puzzles too? Oh my god. Seriously best random find ever.
  10. Oct 28, 2013
    Great great game! Fantastic coop gameplay, with great ideas and lots of fun. Lot of thinking not just frenetic action, you will need to use brain and then execute well to progress, not just like all the modern games thought for braindead kids. One of the best coop game i played in years (and i played MANY)
  11. Oct 24, 2013
    FORCED is a gem in the CO-OP realm, and it's highly competetive, i've found myself sitting days and nights with my friends playing the CO-OP and trying to master the spirit mentor Balfus. I don't play FORCED singleplayer that often since i think Balfus is too hard to control alone, but in company with a friend i can't wish for a better CO-OP game. Of all the CO-OP games i have played, i've seen an element like Balfus and the idea of reverse football, it must have been a great risk i it has certainly payed off, and it forces you (hehe see what i did there?) to talk with the other team players in order to get a good time in a trial. So, is it worth the money? yes indeed and if it was a $30 i would still have bought it. I'm already recommending FORCED to all my friends. Expand
  12. Oct 28, 2013
    I stayed up until 4am with a few friends playing this at a house LAN on the weekend. It was completely engaging! The only thing that really let it down was the camera angles being restricted and sometimes your character is literally forced off of the screen. I definitely recommend this game if you have a few people to play with.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    I purchased this game and my first games were only myself against the IA. After that a friend purchased it too. We tried some levels and the fun grew exponentially. We're now four friends playing the full co-op every night and this is PURE FUN. Lots of yelling between us in some levels that are absolutely challenging. Love this game and I seriously hope there will be some DLCs in the future.

The only downside is the minor bugs still present in the game. Nothing important, anyway.
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    Like challenge? Want to die? If so, then great! You'll love this game.

This is an incredible ACTION single player and co-op game. I say action and not ARPG, because this game is not your typical RPG. There are no levels to be gained, and no experience points to be earned.

Instead, you unlock new skills you can switch out by obtaining gems. These gems are earned by completing
    various tasks. There are three tasks per trial. You get one by completing the trial, one by beating it within a certain time, and the last by completing a challenge.

The game ramps up difficulty quickly, which is something that I think is lacking from games these days. This game isn't designed to be beaten by everyone. I feel like a lot of these reviewers have been coddled by easy to beat games and are missing the point with this. This is probably one of the hardest games I've played, and it's great.

This game requires strategy reminiscent of the 10, 20, 25, and 40 person raids found in World of Warcraft in order to get through some of the challenges. I no longer play WoW, because it gets very repetitive unless you're able to compete in high tier end-game raids. Unfortunately, I don't like large player settings. I prefer the closeness of a very small group setting.

That's where FORCED comes in. This game will challenge you and your close friends in ways you can only imagine. After the initial six or so trials, the game quickly ramps up the difficulty. You'll be trying to complete puzzles while doing your best to race through a trial with monsters continuously lashing out and brutalizing you, horribly massacring and maiming you over, and over, and over again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some more FORCED to play.
  15. Nov 3, 2013
    Clearly a lot of love went into the development of this game.
    So far I've spent ten hours (thanks steam for keeping track for me) engrossed in the single player campaign and still have a few arenas to go. It is well worth the money.
    Forced is just a lot of fun. And to boot, it is well-balanced, and challenging. My only hope is that the beta-dwarf team keeps creating content.
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    Wow, this game was a challenge. There is a very fine line with it being too challenging and I can see people giving up and getting turned off immediately. I did manage to get all of the Steam Achievements and all of the crystals. I can not begin to count the numerous times that I dropped the "F Bomb" or threw the mouse across the room. Even though it was very frustrating, it was very rewarding to finally beat a level and get that crystal. With perseverance and getting out of your comfort zone, you WILL beat the game.

The leveling up system is unique, and quite fair...not a cakewalk. I expected to get a talents that would allow you to dominate the earlier levels. However because the game was so balanced you couldn't "Dominate" you still had to challenge your brain even with the new talents.

The character selections allowed me to break out of the BAD hack and slash habits that other games seem to bore you with throughout your progress. The characters were put together and very balanced so that one would dominate over another depending on the trial (level). Every new trial was a guessing game for which character would provide the best benefit.

Bravo Betadwarf, you did not disappoint.
  17. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is quite excellent. Not as good as dota but its very close and that says a lot.
    a bunch of friends bought the game and we are all addicted to it. its quite challenging gameplay. excellent controls.

its worth the 15$
  18. Nov 19, 2013
    Polished, pretty, amazing controller support. Developers take note. This is how to implement controller support for pc RPG's
    Addictive gameplay, perks upgrades and puzzles. Low price.
  19. Nov 23, 2013
    One of the best Co-op ARPG of our time.
    What are the criteria we use to judge a game? Do we judge one based on its own merits or relative to other games from the genre. If it's the latter then I'm giving Forced a 10/10. The game might have some flaws when it comes to connectivity and other problems that often come with an indie title at launch. But the core concept and gameplay is
    top-notch.

The game is hard, rewarding and addictive. The stages'difficulty is well-calibrated as they increase gradually to continuously introduce new game elements/enemies and keep challenging the players.

Players have the choice of 4 separate characters with unique mechanics that bring different things to a battle. As players progress through the game, they unlock gems from fulfilling certain challenges or time challenge. Levelling up cannot be achieved through grinding. It's a well-thought out reward system

Unlike other top-down ARPG like Torchlight or Diablo, or other supposedly co-operative games like Borderland where each player is quite self-sufficient and the games somewhat turn into a killing competition, the co-operative aspect of Forced is really emphasized. Players have to work together and communicate well to be able to get past a stage. The gradual unlock of spells and abilities are very rewarding as high-tier spells are extremely potent and open up new ways to re-tackle a stage. Except for a few remaining glitches and bugs here and there. The game does everything right.

I was looking for rpg games with good Co-op element. And Forced is precisely what I want. I look forward to future content from Forced.
  20. Dec 9, 2013
    WARNING: Do not purchase for single player.
    Second warning: the controls are unintuitive and can take as much as 30 minutes to get used to, if not a bit more.
    That said, this game is incredibly innovative and quite brilliant. The level up system is an amazing take on "no grind character progression", Balthus is awesome and fun to play with, and gives you a sense of teamwork and team
    identity though he requires communication to use properly.
    Anyone who enjoyed RPG brawlers like Gauntlet Legacy has no place NOT buying this, if they have multiple controllers and some friends. Have not had this much coop fun in a while!
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    This co-op brawler puzzler is boatloads of fun. Make sure you have at least one friend to play this with, and make sure that you have a VOIP solution (mumble/skype/ts/etc).

The levels are intense, especially when going for the challenges. It can be very frustrating going for a time challenge and missing it by a few seconds and having to try again 10 more times to complete it.
    However, it feels oh so rewarding when you see that final gem lock into place.

The game can also be quite hilarious. During a certain challenge, my friends and I had to bounce our explosive companion orb back and forth to keep it from hitting parallel walls and exploding early. My friend got so amped up that he just kept calling the ball towards his side as fast as he could, while I was trying as fast as I could to call it back to my side to compensate. Much laughter followed by yet another level restart.

One of my favorite features is the lack of a score or kill/dps stats. At the end of the round nobody is claiming to have done more work than someone else. The only thing that matters is that you finished the level and/or completed the challenges.

Working out who is going to do what, and which characters to take to try to best a challenge was a lot of fun.

I haven't played the game solo, so I can't recommend that mode. The co-op is some of the best multiplayer fun I've had in a long time.

1. Feb 1, 2014
    Sadly, the game isn't quote as compelling as its journey. [Feb 2014, p.91]
  2. Jan 22, 2014
    Interesting in co-op, practically unplayable in single player, Forced is an fair action game, than unfortunately lacks style and diversity.
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    It's a rough ride, but ultimately a fun one. FORCED is a twitchy thinker's punch-drunk romp that wears its scars with pride.