Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Autoplay On Off
PC PowerPlaySep 8, 2011An unusual yet beautiful game bound to remind you of nature's power. [Oct 2011, p.50]
Pelit (Finland)Oct 19, 2011From Dust feels like a demo of Populous 4. Tutorial parts (with too much hand helding) ran too long, but couple of levels display the possibilities what From Dust could have been. Still worth the price, though. [Sept 2011]
Aug 31, 2011Even if it's short and single-player only, From Dust has at least one statement to make: that there are still special ideas around. Not necessarily perfect, due to the control and pathfinding issues that will annoy the not so patient players, but with a huge potential to evolve in totally new directions.
LEVEL (Czech Republic)Oct 30, 2011To truly enjoy playing God you have to beat a few obstacles – technical issues, arguable DRM and user-unfriendly controls. Console-to-PC conversion took its price this time. [Oct 2011]
Aug 28, 2011I am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
II am shocked the Metacritic user score is so low on this amazing game. So much so that i had to sign up to Metacritic to have my say too.
I read the dev's are calling this the heir to populous and I would say that they are spot on with this. I loved Populous when it came out, couldn't stop playing it - same with From Dust. I love the fact that you control nature and not your men live every other god sim, that gives this a really fresh twist - which is exactly what the god sim genre needed. Sure there is a massive puzzle solving element to From Dust, but there always is to god sims and anyone who says otherwise would be lying or so well practiced at the same old god sim games they don't need to think about it (people who played every Age of Empires, Civ, Sim City etc. game would probably have to think a lot less than people like me who play god sims occasionally and don't want to have to watch several hours of tutorials just to be able to start playing like Civ 4).
I found From Dust fun, pretty and addictive. Having completed the main story I am working through the challenge mode which is really cool too. The only thing I would change with From Dust is that I would make it longer in the main story - but the cheaper price reflects the shorted game so it's fair enough.
I can't wait for From Dust 2, but I will probably replay From Dust a few times before it hopefully comes out.… Expand
Apr 12, 2012I really love the gameplay within this game. yeah the Graphics could be better for the PC but they are still pretty enough. I was enjoying itI really love the gameplay within this game. yeah the Graphics could be better for the PC but they are still pretty enough. I was enjoying it immensely. The problem what that just as I started to feel like I was getting into it, the game was already finished. To be fair, the PC purchase price of the game reflected this so it is fair. I would certainly recommend it but I just dont understand why it is so short. All the effort to build a develop and great game and then create no content. It just doesnt make sense. I have been expecting a series of DLC to pop up since bringing up to a more full game experience in terms of duration, but nothing. I am left scratching my head just wondering why. I really do not understand why so many people dislike the game itself. It is in the same classic thread as the populous series and black and white although with less depth caused by the lack of content. A great game killed by a lack of content and the fact no one likes Ubisoft. However, one should give credit where credit is due. This is a great game experience.… Expand
Mar 3, 2012A short but cheap game for the puzzle fans and megalomaniacs. I haven't had this much fun since Populous II although most puzzles are somewhatA short but cheap game for the puzzle fans and megalomaniacs. I haven't had this much fun since Populous II although most puzzles are somewhat easy and the villager pathing AI can be annoying at times.… Expand
Aug 19, 2011### PROS ###
* Light revival of god-game genre
* Nice altering of landscape with basic elements * Physics of fluids and materials * Big### PROS ###
* Light revival of god-game genre
* Nice altering of landscape with basic elements
* Physics of fluids and materials
* Big potential of idea (but Ubisoft is not able to gain from idea like Valve)
* For 15 Euro only
* No need for high-end hardware and GPU
* You must think/strategize when you alter landscape (action will give you reaction later)
* You can make game harder when you keep or reposition totems to dangerous places (especially in later levels)
* Nice effects of volcanoes, water, lava, etc...
* Simple take/release of basic elements (lava, water, sand)
* Water tree (efficient with consequences when you place it wrongly)
* Multiple game profiles
* Cut scenes are real-time created, not pre-shot (except loading cut scene)
* Well created sounds and stylish ancient look of the game
* When people go to faraway totem/obelisk the game choose in 80% percent the correct path that you want
* People can swim to the nearest land
* People can die in lava (instantly) or water (after short time) with nice effect like in Populous
* You can flush people by water, or kill them by lava when they stuck somewhere
* Story narrated in ancient language (there should be option for English equivalent, because subtitles are sometimes quite fast)
* Well balanced growing difficulty from very easy level to medium-hard
* Bonus of 30 challenges unlocked in story levels
### CONS ###
* Low-budget game, so don't expect miracles
* Console port to PC (mouse/keyboard retardation and limitation, graphics limitations, etc.)
* DRM (fortunately you don't have to be connected to internet when playing, but S/N is permanently sticked to your UPlay account that you must create)
* DirectX 9 graphics only (glitches when objects and soft particles blend, low resolution textures, etc.)
* No advanced graphics options (but it's not needed since the game would not start after automatic hardware check I guess... it means that it requires minimal hardware for smooth play)
* Only 12 story levels and 1 open final level
* Very simple story (people were talking about finding ancients like one page of A4 script, nothing more... story didn't touch me anyhow)
* No random map with randomly placed disasters (consoles don't have enough buttons for totems)
* No SDK for modding and creating new levels by community (well, it's a low budget game)
* Mouse cursor is permanently sticked to ground landscape (annoying, but you can live with that)
* Max. of 4 magic totems per map because console gamepad doesn't have more buttons, right? (check every map what magics are assigned to keys 1-4, it's not same!)
* Keyboard hints cannot be disabled (Ubisoft, I'm retarded, I still don't know what to press on that object)
* You can't control your tribe people
* You can't control path where the people should go to totem (no waypoints)
* When one tribe member stuck somewhere and is not able to get to new totem, you are doomed unless you kill him somehow (you can't choose different tribe member and the game will not do that)
* Kites move affected by wind but tall palm trees not, why??
* When you pray to little obelisk or "ending" obelisk, you must always press Spacebar for confirmation, why?? I guess because of cut scenes. For totems and big obelisks it's not needed (there are no cut scenes)
* Repetitive and slow cut scenes that gets boring soon, so you stop listen to simple story (low resolution textures are very visible in cut scenes)
* No hotkey to cancel cut scenes like in Populous 2
* Sometimes it's difficult to take sand when a bit of water is onto it, because water is almost invisible (it may be frustrating)
* It's only you and scripted nature, so you may feel alone (not much suprises, no enemy)... implementation of multiplayer idea could be difficult since it's you and nature only
* Exploding and fire trees (for exploding and fire trees I would prefer instant magics, but consoles don't have more buttons, so don't expect it from Ubisoft)
* Exploding trees don't work when you put them to lava, you must put lava onto it
* Trees sometimes don't grow on ground
* When you challenge fire it's quite difficult to get rid of it (fire is very fast and needs a lot of water)
* Badly implemented map edges which may ruin gameplay in some cases, affect basic elements and give you permanent feeling that everything is in small square (even that you see that the map continues to fog)
* Tsunami doesn't look so good (it's like a flat wall)… Expand
Aug 20, 2011The game has a lot of potential but is ultimately ruined by horrible awful DRM from lying Ubisoft, poor porting and awful graphicsThe game has a lot of potential but is ultimately ruined by horrible awful DRM from lying Ubisoft, poor porting and awful graphics options(30fps cap on a PC game, what?). It does not have a massive amount of replay value once you finish the story missions(out of which maybe five are really interesting) and challenges, since playing around with fluids gets old fairly fast due to the lack of mechanics other than the terrain stuff to keep you entertained. Additionally the controls are awful, especially the TINY scrolling box(meaning the camera moves with the cursor almost all the time) and the poor pathfinding AI that gets stuck on the tiniest edge will drive you up the wall.
Overall the game was moderately entertaining but ultimately very shallow and the DRM absolutely ruined my overall experience of it. I have to go through TWO launchers to play it, geez.… Expand
Aug 18, 2011Always on DRM, the ultimate Screw you to PC gamers. Not that great a game, reminiscent of god games like black and white without the features.Always on DRM, the ultimate Screw you to PC gamers. Not that great a game, reminiscent of god games like black and white without the features. The Ai for the tribes men is absolutely frustrating. Could have been a good game, but it feels as though you are rushed through it.… Expand
May 9, 2013I'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certainI'm going to forget the DRM/always online stuff because there is a game-breaking bug. I could not even finish the game because at a certain mission, I had a bug where villagers won't die, then I can't do anything. The game still runs, but a villager doesn't die, you cannot complete that mission, you have to start all over again. They'll get washed out to sea, still be swimming, forever. If they get out of water, they'll just stand there, forever, they'll be completely submerged in water, just standing there, looking around. It's bad enough I felt that the game itself was mediocre due to the controls being stuttery and delayed, an irritating AI, no pathing control, low frame-rates for the mediocre graphics. I found myself getting frustrated trying to get fire trees to work properly and honestly things such as this ruined the experience when really the trees and stuff shoulda made the game great. This is an unoptimized port of a game which should of been pulled.… Expand
Awards & Rankings
- By user score