8.4

1. Aug 2, 2013
    Be warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, orBe warned right away this is a Rogue Type of Game, and you cannot load a save if you die! That said the game is pretty cool. Enjoyed it a lot: there is a development element you hook up you ship, but and sell weapons and augmentations, upgrade systems, etc., your crew also gets experience for performing tasks. There is also the Combat element you battle other ships, loot them, or run away screaming (since, like i mentioned there are loads!). Then, there is the exploring element you explore the galaxy, pressed by the hostile Rebels, who pursue you throughout sectors; random events spice up the game, and so no. One drawback is that the game is hard even on Easy setting it will take quite a few passes to complete. And the Normal Setting is absurd. I wish the difficulty would be better balanced. Yet again this is a rogue game Overall had a lot of fun with this one! Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon Trail in space. Movement takes place over a turn based star system map while combat is real-time with cooldowns for weapons and power management to juggle. My biggest complaint is how ridiculously hard "Normal" difficulty is. Many times you will be doing better than expected and then one errant missile knocks out a key system and your ship loses half health (or worse) in one battle.Oregon Trail in space. Movement takes place over a turn based star system map while combat is real-time with cooldowns for weapons and power management to juggle. My biggest complaint is how ridiculously hard "Normal" difficulty is. Many times you will be doing better than expected and then one errant missile knocks out a key system and your ship loses half health (or worse) in one battle. Navigation is also frustrating with the rebel fleet pursuing you, narrowing down your exploring to a zig-zag through each sector. If you manage to the last boss you should be able to beat it no problem. Overall this is a good-looking space sim with solid tactical gameplay and if you can overlook the random luck-based difficulty then it's worth picking up. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    THE..... BEST.... ROGUELIKE.... EVER.... BAR.... NONE.... Amazingly well thought out game where you command a spaceship and given the way roguelikes work it doesn't appear to suffer from feeling horribly repetitive unlike the lions share of this genre.
  4. Oct 19, 2012
    I admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was aI admit that at first glance, I didn't really have much interest for the game. But, I noticed alot of people were praising its unique gameplay. I started to sort of want it after that. I got it as a gift and so I started playing. First of all, the graphics are beautiful and represent this kind of game quite nicely. After I learned how to use strategy to progress through the game, it was a real swell time after that. The game includes various intriguing situations such as enemy hostiles, helping civilians, trade, exploring, and all sorts of things you would expect if we lived in a Sci-Fi world where we travel the galaxy. If you are a big fan of simulators, and space exploration, then FTL is sure to delight. In the end, I give it a 9/10. Expand
  5. Feb 4, 2013
    A game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten theA game with a simple premise: survive long enough so you can get your little spaceship from one side of the galaxy to the other. Overcoming the many obstacles along the way is difficult and may be ultimately too frustrating for some gamers but if you acknowledge the fact you're meant to lose, it's easy to get yourself immersed in this retro-styled starship management game. To sweeten the pot, each time you play the map it's procedurally generated and the game is also super cheap. Expand
  6. Mar 22, 2013
    The randomness factor can prove frustrating, but it also adds to the re-playability Completion in the hardest difficulty is very satisfying. A simplel, solid game with very nice effects, sound design, and a cool soundtrack.
  7. Jun 10, 2014
    Para mí la gran aventura espacial de los últimos años, las mecánicas son interesantes y te obliga a la rejugabilidad ya que castiga pero pica. Interesante aunque corto, una experiencia de juego recomendable.
  8. Aug 24, 2013
    While I agree with all the negative comments, I think the red score guys are giving up too fast rather than getting serious and trying harder. YES you will fail most play-through attempts, but it isn't futile. The whole point of the game is to find and unlock the various ship builds and to learn which weapons are useful in the endgame. You can't do this with 2-3 failed runs. You need toWhile I agree with all the negative comments, I think the red score guys are giving up too fast rather than getting serious and trying harder. YES you will fail most play-through attempts, but it isn't futile. The whole point of the game is to find and unlock the various ship builds and to learn which weapons are useful in the endgame. You can't do this with 2-3 failed runs. You need to do MORE failed runs and keep learning. Then, when you understand what you need, you go for the win. And obviously it isn't so hard after all, once you have unlocks, once you understand. A single play-though takes about four hours. But of course you can quit before then or restart if you mess up. The game is fine. It is what it says it would be.

9. Dec 23, 2012
    A very simple game with very simple graphics, yet very addictive! The strategy is extremely well balanced and the progress in succeeding in the game is constant. So, the pleasure is always renewed, the replay value is big and the potentials are vast. This is a magic game that is at the opposite of any gaming hypes but is tremendously well done. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! One of the best gamesA very simple game with very simple graphics, yet very addictive! The strategy is extremely well balanced and the progress in succeeding in the game is constant. So, the pleasure is always renewed, the replay value is big and the potentials are vast. This is a magic game that is at the opposite of any gaming hypes but is tremendously well done. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! One of the best games I've ever played in my 30 year gaming experience. Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent fun game with an average game duration of about an hour, very addictive for a couple days. Also very hard, out of a over a dozen attempts I managed to win once using a stealth cruiser.
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    FTL is proof that gameplay--not graphics--make a game fun. A reasonably-priced indie gem, FTL offers surprising depth in a little package. It is a "rogue-like" game, and that has some pros and cons (brutal difficulty at times due to randomness and permanent death, but a level of satisfaction upon winning that feels like an accomplishment). I eagerly look forward to an even deeper sequelFTL is proof that gameplay--not graphics--make a game fun. A reasonably-priced indie gem, FTL offers surprising depth in a little package. It is a "rogue-like" game, and that has some pros and cons (brutal difficulty at times due to randomness and permanent death, but a level of satisfaction upon winning that feels like an accomplishment). I eagerly look forward to an even deeper sequel (let us hope!). Expand
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    For those among us who enjoy pain and suffering, sci fi themed tactical games with a bit of RP elements thrown in, FTL is an ideal game. A constant barrage of bad luck and impossible situations means you`re likely to spend a lot of time restarting the game, cursing loudly to the annoyance of family members or even crying.
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication
    This skillfully constructed tool for selling more nerve medication will include things like hitting your weapons 1 second after you enter stealth mode to reload your weapon in safety, forcing you to spend stealth putting out fires instead of reloading, which means you`ll be reloading later when the enemy is firing on you. Or killing off your crew with random events and not generating any way to shanghai more crew, leading to death by abandoned ship. Or it may refuse to provide you with a suitable weapon upgrade for level after level, until you can`t break the shields of any enemy and die. Once in a while it will even make dead ends for you, forcing you right back into the pursuing fleet which is what provides the time pressure in the game, preventing free exploration.
    And I could list about 20 similar conspiracies hatched by the makers of FTL without effort; all with the express purpose of driving me insane. Having said this you might think the game is no fun. But it is! Unlocking ships, finding rare events and quests and the interminable difficulty of getting your ship to the last zone in an appropriate condition to fight the last battle is irresistible to all roguelike fans and should not be missed. Although much of the game is random, practice does make things easier to a certain extent. Things like venting the ship into space to deal with boarders while putting all your crew in the medbay for example has apparently not occurred to many of the negative reviewers here. But this simple response makes it easy to deal with boarding parties, and fires from solar activity I might add, since the enemy cannot beam back to the other ship because there is a CD and are forced to fight in your medbay where they will die every time.
    Obviously the easily frustrated should perhaps look elsewhere. Unless you understand the genre concepts of randomness and perma death, and like them, you will not have much fun. For the rest of us though we can only hope that a sequel will appear at some point in the future. Until then, FTL will have to do:)
  13. Dec 16, 2012
    FTL is a very strategic spaceship simulator, where you must survive a harrowing trek across the galaxy with an army chasing you down. You have to decide how to configure your ship with what's available, and make tough mid-battle decisions that could mean life or death. And in this game, death is permanent.

This is one of those indie games that gets everything right. The gameplay is lots of fun. It's not hard to learn the basics, but winning is incredibly hard, even on Easy. Luck plays a big part, but skill can offset bad luck. There are lots of ship configurations, and with each, a new way to play. The music is very good, and fitting. The pixel art is beautiful. Controls are fairly easy to use.

I found myself playing this game over and over until finally getting my first win on easy on the 20th try. This game is definitely worth getting, and for strategy fans, it's a must-buy. The soundtrack is also worth the money.
  14. Sep 17, 2012
    Brutally difficult. If you dislike game over screens, this is not the game for you. You will die, a lot. Sometimes it won't seem fair. Other times everything comes together just right and it's the greatest feeling in the world. The mechanics work really well here and if you like a challenge you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.
  15. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  16. Nov 21, 2014
    I originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom ofI originally wrote a very negative review of this game here upon release, and I still feel today that the review was both accurate and well deserved. At release this game was a tease -- offering promise but not delivering on any of it. Maddeningly simple combat mechanics, limited RNG for everything especially encounters, narrow options for progression and unlocking, and little freedom of strategic gameplay if you wanted any measure of success in the late game made it a huge headache for a lot of old pc gamers like myself. We wanted to love it -- we simply could not.

Time has addressed most of my complaints, and I definitely love FTL today. Or perhaps to be more precise: Patches, the Advanced Edition version of the game, the Captain's Edition mod, Captain's Edition's addons, and several other key mods have addressed most of my complaints, and this combination is now what I love today -- not the game "FTL - Advanced Edition", but the gestalt that the community has created through modification. Finally, FINALLY, the game is what it should have been at release.

First of all, FTL+AE+CE+mods is just randomly, spontaneously fun now, even when you fail, and without removing the rogue-like level of difficulty. The game is still very difficult, even incredibly so, but largely through strategy and choices rather than arbitrary "haha you died" RNG events that took no account of what had been done in that particular game up to that point. You can still get crippled or killed in RNG events, but they're MUCH less arbitrary and annoying than they were in the original release, and as you get stronger you will actually feel the power increase and be able to handle situations that previously you thought were impossible (and in the original game, 999 times out of 1000, WERE impossible).

FTL+AE+CE is also more refined everywhere you look, with mistakes fixed, crashes addressed, and details improved, even moreso when you start piling on the mods. There are many more mods that I haven't even mentioned in this review (such as Better Planets and Backgrounds) that improve FTL tremendously, and you can (largely) mix and match the ones you want to get the experience that you want.

Another important point: with mods the game now has a much more expansive universe, with a lot more to see, do, and discover. Now each new new game genuinely feels much more random, spontaneous, and alive. It took me over 3 complete playthroughs (that ended in winning the game -- a death is not a playthrough, and I had many of those) to actually see all of the RNG events. This is well over 200 hours of playtime alone, and I still haven't seen all the possible outcomes/choices, just the actual events themselves. The choices and strategic options you have now, from crew composition all the way down to roleplaying the metagame in RNG events, are so much more expanded that comparisons with the original game are hardly even valid anymore.

In summary, the original release of FTL was promising, and with a lot of great ideas (and trance loops), it just wasn't a good game. FTL Advanced Edition + Captain's Edition + CE addons + your choice of further modding is INDEED the great game that FTL should have been. It's a pity that the mod community had to make FTL into a properly fun computer game, but I'm just glad that the community did it. If I could, I'd pay them instead of the developer, because they took something lacking structure, polish, features, depth, and overall quality, and made it simply fantastic. Thanks guys! You are one of the many reasons that PC will always be the #1 gaming platform.

One last thing: Buy this game on GOG and support the DRM-free Revolution. I did.
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    a very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit tooa very enjoyable game. it isn't too difficult in the beginning and gradually gets harder... WAY harder. most rogue like games forget to use a easier beginning to draw you in before smashing you to pieces. his game however does a great job of tricking you into thinking "my ship is great i'll beat it this time!". i like the soundtrack. the images in the background are repeated a bit too often, but it's not that big of a deal. anyway one of the better rogue like games i have ever played. Expand
  18. May 31, 2014
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    Crew and ship management which are the main parts of the game are very well designed and satisfying. The various encounters and quests are varied and well-written adding surprising level of immersion to the game.
    Great indie game, I played it for like 20+ hours and had a lot of fun with it.
    It's rouge-like nature can be a flaw sometimes. Sometimes even if you are a very good player you lose no matter what, for example you spec your ship into drones, and you find only 1 combat drone through entire campaign failing miserably. Sometimes it also can be too easy, it really depends more on luck than skill.
    The graphics are kinda cartoonish but this is okay in an indie game, though better graphics would make this game way more amazing.
    The music is epic, I listened to it outside of the game more than I played it I think, really immersive, you can find in on youtube and see if it suits your style.
    During the game you unlock new ships and new ships layouts which gives it a lot of replay ability. Single campaign will take you only a couple hours to complete, but it's not a problem thanks to it's rouge-like nature.
    What else...technically it's almost perfect as I did not encounter any major glitches or crashes.
    Also it's modable. There are a lot of good mods out there, mostly adding new ships but also total overhauls worth checking out.

For it's very low price I can't give it any less than 8/10. It's one of the best indie games out there.
  19. May 17, 2014
    Simply excellent game. If you like beautiful indie, this game is for you! FTL combines music that sticks to the game with a beautiful décor, and all this with a most excellent gameplay. This game deserves its rating, its price, it is a very good quality, although a multiplayer mode is expected by the players!
  20. Sep 16, 2012
    I bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios areI bought FTL on a whim when I saw that it involved space ship command with a tactical bent. My expectations were low - but when I got into it I was surprised to find myself really engaged and enjoying the experience. The visuals aren't that flash but the gameplay fires the imagination such that the visuals remain functional and incidental to the core experience. Different scenarios are presented to you as you warp into each new sector and you are required to make choices that influence where the game goes; a lot of these choices result in combat but it's refreshing to see that some do not. A lot of sci-fi games focus too much on combat but the whole star trek experience is just as much about managing crew and making decisions as it is firing the phasers. FTL is perhaps leaning toward too much combat, but it does make significant efforts to give you other things to do as well - and to good effect. The soundtrack is delightful and the sense that you are in command is palpable. On my last game it was me and Jean Luc (you can name crew members) and we made it alone to stage 4 (of 5) and had some amazing scraps and adventures along the way. We started we 3 crew members (you can recruit more along the way) but Beverly died after we were boarded and the oxygen levels in sick bay dropped to the point where she suffocated. We were really cut up about that but pressed on. It's a great little game - could perhaps have benefited from just a little more depth but as is it's heaps of fun and for the price... you can't lose. Highly recommended. Expand
  21. Dec 3, 2016
    I really liked this game it was one of my favourite games of 2012.The thing i don't like about the game is each play it depends on luck but apart from that it is a masterpiece.
  22. Nov 8, 2013
    If you get easily frustrated, do not play this game. You very well may punch your monitor.

As other reviews have said, it's a RTS ship management rogue-like game. Chances are, you're going to die. You may even do everything perfectly and still die. The random elements get frustrating, but it's kinda like poker. You make the best of your hands whether it's good or bad. You play a good

The random elements get frustrating, but it's kinda like poker. You make the best of your hands whether it's good or bad. You play a good hand badly, you're gonna die. You play a bad hand good, well you still might die, but you'll give it a helluva fight before you do.

It's challenging and unique, haven't played a game quite like this one which is always a plus when the market is so full of stale copies of one another.

If you like challenges, like management, and can tolerate some WTF moments, you'll enjoy this game.
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    I'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. MostI'm so surprised as to how awesome this game is. It has huge replay value, a deep element of strategy throughout and it really made you feel in control of your own spaceship. The art style is simple and the UI, after some getting used to, feels as if everything is where it should be. People seem to complain about the randomness and that the game is too based on luck, but I disagree. Most of the time, it is YOUR fault that you fail and though the randomness may end up screwing you over, I see it as learning to make do with what you are given and in fact, this is outweighed by how much good luck you get in the game (like just being given a weapon for no reason). Overall, this game is a ton of fun and though it is very challenging, should be at least tried by everyone. Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2014
    FTL is a Rogue-like Sci-Fi adventure places you in the Captains chair of a Star Ship managing both crew and ship systems while trying to survive the odds. FTL has substance & style with its 2D aesthetic style, various aliens races & ships and tactical depth makes FTL fun and addictive and a worthy purchase especially on the Steam sales, with the added bonus of benefiting from some decent mods.
  25. Oct 4, 2013
    This was a huge surprise to me when I first played this game. Faster Tan Light was never boring, there were so many adventures I had that my friends didn't have. Each time you board your ship a whole new adventure is about to began. I was always nervous to go through the purple clouds that were almost always in my way, regardless of that this game was pretty challenging but in the bestThis was a huge surprise to me when I first played this game. Faster Tan Light was never boring, there were so many adventures I had that my friends didn't have. Each time you board your ship a whole new adventure is about to began. I was always nervous to go through the purple clouds that were almost always in my way, regardless of that this game was pretty challenging but in the best way. I never fought a death because they are always justified. If my ship blow up it was because I used to much power on my weapons and not enough on my shields. Maybe I was trying to save up for a cool weapon and I choice not to fix my ship and ran into a pirate ship. I always caused my own death and because of that I never raged over this game. FTL was so simple yet technical, the upgrades were very useful and none of them were money pits. The idea of having other alien species is really cool and I could never get all of them on my ship at once. In the end I couldn't ask for a better experience, the only issue I have is that there are the same quest and enemies no matter what, if there were more options It would be a nine out of ten but the squeal will get that score. This however is still pretty great and a solid eight out of ten is more than enough for one of the best game I played this year. Expand
  26. Jan 24, 2013
    I played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficultyI played rogue as a kid, and I really enjoy crawling my way through random dungeon after random dungeon, with no two playthroughs being quite the same. FTL brings back that same feeling, only in outer space, in really cool space ships. The game mechanics are top notch, with lots of depth, but also a fun and intuitive general approach. As a final point, I'll mention that the difficulty level found here is very high, which is a bit refreshing in today's gaming market, but unfortunately, a lot of the difficulty factor is simply luck based. I guess that's a bit unavoidable with randomized maps / encounters, but it does make the game a bit annoying at times. Expand
  27. May 28, 2014
    I like it a lot. It could use a little more depth (I haven't tried to the expansion though), seems like mostly you just try to keep their weapons disabled and the AI is pretty basic.

But I had a whole lot of fun with this.

Though losing a crewman in your first encounter in the first zone is kind of completely ****
  28. Jan 11, 2013
    It seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of contentIt seems people do not remember the old rogue like games of the past and are pretty quick to bomb this game because they got angry at their bad luck.... It is a shame really, because you can't win, with people complaining about games not being hard anymore and when one comes out, they can't handle it. Regardless, FTL is an awesome polished game with an amazing soundtrack, plenty of content and proves to be a fun, addicting and difficult video game for people who can handle it. Game mechanics are stressful, but well implemented and generally enjoyable. Ship unlocks provide a long-term and difficult challenge for people who are interested in unlockables and full completion. Like any rogue-like, it is difficult, unfair in some places and heavily dependent on luck once you learn how to play. But that's a good thing, it keeps the game varied and interesting. Getting lucky is not the whole story, success will come from making the right decisions with what your luck gives you. Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2013
    Amazing game. Best space simulator I've played, and a ton of fun. Hours and hours of playtime to be had. It could use some more content and further expansion, because its a marvelous base. A warning, though, its a killer to people who don't like to think or who can't learn (as witnessed by the few negative comments saying "this is impossible").

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's

It might help to watch a YouTube Let's Play of it before you jump in.
  30. Sep 25, 2012
    I wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were moreI wouldn't say this beats out AAA games on length of play, but it's ridiculously fun for a few hours to start and then for random playthroughs here and there. I'm not a huge fan of the difficulty posed in the final boss where you might've not come across enough stuff to beat him thanks to the timer involved in each area, but that's roguelike territory for you. I wish there were more modes to where you could just explore or something, but for $9 I can understand that coming later or with mods. Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    Fulfill a sci-fi fantasy by becoming the Captain of your own starship! Don't expect great graphics, but do except to lose many hours to FTL and expect to lose your ship ... a lot.
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Kickstarter has accomplished its mission in this one, giving the opportunity to an original, non-mainstream title to go public and meet its well-deserved success. Especially for sci-fi fans, it’s a no-brainer; buy this game at once and live the life of a courageous pilot that only has one mission: survival. [November 2012]
  3. Nov 24, 2012