6.6

1. May 5, 2011
    Big area, most of the time is spend driving to pick up all the stuff. Vehicles don't handle very well, quite sluggish and slow. It's a big open area, with nothing really worth seeing. All of the few buildings are copied and pasted in other locations, and everything is really quite bland. As mentioned, it feels like a tech demo to see how such a world would work. Well, point proven, it runs. As for things to do, there's not much. The open-world aspects are really more limited than you'd think, as driving off steep cliffs can get you reset so easily. Just very boring, and often it asks you to drive these long bland trails to get points access new bland trails to drive. Rinse and repeat. Snooze in between. Glad it was only in a big pack of other real racing games including Grid, which made it worthwhile. If you want open-world racing, get Burnout Paradise and have some fun. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    Incredibly dull and repetitive racing experience. Driving physics are terrible, too easy, no damage, sounds are weak and AI opponents even weaker. Only positive thing about this game is the huge world.
  3. Aug 7, 2013
    As far as open world racers go, the available terrain is huge. And that's about it. The landscape may be huge, but it's insanely boring. Fortunately, you can fast-travel to different regions (and I'll leave it up to debate whether that defeats the purpose of being open world). The physics is lacking, but seeing as it's an arcade racer, that's not exactly all that damning. However, there is a complete lack of any sense of speed; you rarely have any idea how fast you're going unless it's obviously under 20 mph.
    Really, though, the biggest problem with this game is the number of races required to unlock new areas, and the computer AI. You need to perfect (three-star difficulty) about 55 races to unlock the whole world, which may not seem bad at first, but the races are repetitive and the AI seems to be more interested in wrecking you than it does winning the race. Oh, and I should also mention that the AI racers explode off the start line at speeds you literally cannot match, and then you play catch-up for the rest of the race.
    As a slight addition to my earlier review, I've been playing this game a bit more in my free time, and I have to say that the AI has really driven me to loath this game. Allow me to present a specific case: I've been working on one of the races you need to beat on the highest difficulty for an achievement, and the gimmick to this one is there is a tornado in front of you that obscures your view and occasionally drops some obstacles onto the road ahead. Now this may sound cool, but let me assure you, it is not. Imagine if you will, leading for the entire seven minute race--but suddenly, 20 feet from the finish line, the tornado drops a car literally right on top of you (you have no chance to dodge it), causing you to crash and lose the race (since this game considers anything other than first place a loss). Sound bad? Well imagine that happening four consecutive times at varying points within the race. There's something to be said for having a challenge, and then there's the game giving you the finger and wasting your time.

1. We had high hopes for FUEL, which promised to offer an expansive game world teaming with insane weather and even crazier racing. Ultimately, however, Asobo Studio has served up a barren wasteland filled with nothing to do, bland race events, and weather effects that are far less dynamic than Codemasters might have you believe.
  2. Even if some of the fundamental stuff has been sacrificed to the creation of this huge world, Fuel still makes it across the finish line on a far-from-empty tank. [July 2009, p.97]
  3. FUEL is a huge project but never quite fulfills its potential. The game lacks polish and style, and the overwhelmingly enormous world is too lifeless to keep you entertained. Thus, FUEL never manages to impress, making it nothing more than an average off road-racer inferior to competitors like Pure and Motorstorm.