5.3

1. Aug 17, 2013
    So... yeah, it was good.

Got trough in good one hour and a half but there's probably double the length if you really digg into it. It wasnt bad since it made me go trough several emotions. Is it worth 20$? Well, i dunno. Think 10$ would be more appropiate but on the other hand the game actually is pretty unique. Short, if you liked Dear Esther you will probably love this one. If
    So... yeah, it was good.

Short, if you liked Dear Esther you will probably love this one. If you're expect a real adventure, think it over twice.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Gone Home is astonishing Great story telling and voice acting Whoever likes indie games like Dear Esther must play this one for sure 9/10 great game
  3. Aug 16, 2013
    Gone Home is a fantastic Interactive Story, and if you think of it as that then the $20 price is justified. However it is dreadfully short, I personally beat it in an hour.

The story in this game is still fantastic enough for me to say that this is one of the games everyone will want to play. Newly released hardcover books are $15, movie tickets are anywhere from $10 to $20, and this fits in that price range.

+Godly amazing environment and story.
    -Short
  4. Aug 17, 2013
    This was a very touching story, and like Dear Esther will have a lasting effect on me. I'm not sure why people complain that this 'shouldn't be a game'; as if it shouldn't exist as anything more than written text. Why not give it an atmosphere you can play through? I felt completely immersed, which is what I expect the creator of Gone Home was aiming for. I really enjoyed the subject ofThis was a very touching story, and like Dear Esther will have a lasting effect on me. I'm not sure why people complain that this 'shouldn't be a game'; as if it shouldn't exist as anything more than written text. Why not give it an atmosphere you can play through? I felt completely immersed, which is what I expect the creator of Gone Home was aiming for. I really enjoyed the subject of the story it wasn't what I was expecting when I first began to explore, but I was quite relieved that this didn't turn out to be another ghost/stalker story. Expand
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    This whole game's success is because muh feminism and muh LBGT.

Why no games about divorced fathers living in a rented flat and struggling to live because needs to pay wages? Why no games about a man convicted with a fake rape accusation? Why no games about men losing jobs after coworker pretended he molested her? Why no games about men working an entire life for their family just to
    This whole game's success is because muh feminism and muh LBGT.

Why no games about a man convicted with a fake rape accusation?
    Why no games about men losing jobs after coworker pretended he molested her?
    Why no games about men working an entire life for their family just to have his wife destroy 30 years of honest work in a month?
    Why no games about women using guilt to manipulate children into religions or other ideologies?

This whole game's success is just a byproduct of the current society's hypocrisis.
    Makes you think to what low point we have come.
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    This is not a game, this is a pretentious interactive lifetime movie. There are literately no game mechanics to speak of. The story telling is on the same level of deviant art fan fiction. Absolutely horrible, avoid at all costs.
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    Can we stop with the obsession with this game? Gone Home has an interesting setup and completely falls flat after that. Sure the atmosphere is spooky but the game does nothing with it. I don't mind a game with minimal to no gameplay, such as The Walking Dead (which is amazing by the way), but Gone Home's story is very cut and dry, goes from point A to point B and then the game ends... INCan we stop with the obsession with this game? Gone Home has an interesting setup and completely falls flat after that. Sure the atmosphere is spooky but the game does nothing with it. I don't mind a game with minimal to no gameplay, such as The Walking Dead (which is amazing by the way), but Gone Home's story is very cut and dry, goes from point A to point B and then the game ends... IN UNDER 90 MINUTES!! Save your money and do not buy this "game" Expand
  8. Mar 19, 2015
    As we approach the second anniversary of Gone Home's release, I have somehow managed to dodge any major spoilers for this game. If you are fortunate enough to have the pleasure of playing through Gone Home under the same set of circumstances as I, you will be treated to a unique, multi-faceted story, that will keep you guessing from the start, all the way to credit roll. In an effort toAs we approach the second anniversary of Gone Home's release, I have somehow managed to dodge any major spoilers for this game. If you are fortunate enough to have the pleasure of playing through Gone Home under the same set of circumstances as I, you will be treated to a unique, multi-faceted story, that will keep you guessing from the start, all the way to credit roll. In an effort to praise this game without peeping even a fragment of a spoiler, all I can really say is this is a well written gem that can be played (and enjoyed), by all. Do yourself a favor, clear out an afternoon, put on your favorite headphones, and get to it. Expand
  9. Mar 25, 2015
    Gone Home has an intriguing storyline that can easily draw you in and keep you wondering what is going to happen next. The game is rather short and doesn't pretend to tell an epic level story, but rather tells the story of everyday individuals going through normal issues. When it comes to the mechanics of the game, the game is very obviously an exploration based game that is just tryingGone Home has an intriguing storyline that can easily draw you in and keep you wondering what is going to happen next. The game is rather short and doesn't pretend to tell an epic level story, but rather tells the story of everyday individuals going through normal issues. When it comes to the mechanics of the game, the game is very obviously an exploration based game that is just trying to get the story across. This can be seen as a negative thing, but I simply see it as different. It seems rather evident that the game would have suffered had it tried to make the game a survival or strategy type game, It just wouldn't make sense given the storyline. The graphics are nice and most importantly the game is fun. Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2015
    This is not a game. At all. Tetris is a game. Fallout 3 is a game. This is a walking-around-the-house-when-you-have-nothing-better-to-do simulator.
  11. Jan 17, 2014
    Most overrated and overhyped game of the year. Literally it doesn't deserve so high scores. The plot is not intereresting at all, after playing 30 minutes through - you already know the story. And the ending is just boring.
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the worst games I've every played. I even created a Metacritic account to write a review. This game presents itself as a suspense/mystery/thriller. Even the trailers indicated such. My boyfriend got me this game for Christmas, because I had been interested in trying it out.

It starts out with a creepy feeling, what with the music and the storm. The house looks like it was ransacked. The lights flicker. The house creaks. No one is home, and you don't know where anyone is. You find out your father had a psychopath for an uncle, and it might possibly run in the family. Your mother is on the verge of having an affair. The house might even be haunted! All of these are the ingredients for a perfect casual mystery thriller. But no, this ends up being a young lesbian love story, and a pretty stupid one at that. The house isn't haunted, your father is completely sane, your parents are in couples therapy, and your teenage sister just ran off with her lover.

It was a complete waste of two hours, in my opinion. I only gave it a "1" because I finished it. Silly me, I thought the story would develop further than it did.
  13. Oct 16, 2013
    Unbelievable. This game was just stupid. I have been tricked and duped by left wing "critics" who raved and reviewed about it simply because it is full of "progressive" politics. If you want to play a game that does not cater to democrat and leftist politics, then seriously, you need to skip this.
  14. Dec 24, 2013
    Code-wise, it's poorly optimized, and the physics are poorly done. Not a game-breaker, nor is it unexpected, since it's an indie game.

Nostalgia-wise, it got some things wrong, like the model of the old SNES cartridges. Again, not a deal breaker, but notable, since a key to triggering nostalgia is getting the details right. The big disappointment is the poorly thought out storylines.

The big disappointment is the poorly thought out storylines. There are three (excluding the player) family members, each seemingly with their own stories, but only one of the three stories is properly fleshed out, since it's the focus of the vast majority of the game. The other two are ambiguous at best, and since most of the clues deal exclusively with the largest of the three storylines, the other two seem neglected. Furthermore, the "main" story plays out like a Hallmark movie, or one of those "very special episodes" of the old 90's sitcoms. It may speak to some, but to others, it's a bland, over-taught moral lesson that doesn't provide the motivation necessary to keep listening, let alone finish a game.

I'm not surprised that most critics, with their collective emphasis on maintaining good PR and requirement for pandering to the lowest common denominator, have simultaneously jumped on this shallow vehicle of a game. I am surprised by how far they've taken it, however. This game is, at best, decent. A 60 if you're feeling optimistic, a 40 if you're not. It certainly isn't worth a GOTY award. But regardless, the world of video game journalism seems to have let down their followers in this respect. Perhaps out of fear for their own careers, they have given this game praise it does not deserve and misled their followers into expecting more from this hollow shell of a game.

If there was ever any doubt in my mind that the integrity of the average video game journalist was next to non-existent, seeing it sold here for the price of a flimsy, political plot-device removed it.
  15. Aug 30, 2013
    Felt a bit cheated on this one. I was pretty disappointed at the end. I played the entire thing in a few hours as my wife watched behind me which she like to do. She likes horror games and kept joking on the fact that nothing in this game is scary at all. It seems to try to be, with no payoff......ever.

The entire thing seemed to be a tribute to girl-power homosexuality. Everything

The entire thing seemed to be a tribute to girl-power homosexuality. Everything else in the game was just filler, or more like red herrings which tried to convince you that this was actually a game. I laughed when I saw all the critics giving it 10's. To the masses that are asking why, allow me to opine...Replace the name Lonnie with Lenny and the scores all drop by 3-4 points. It all has to do with being PC and our modern day politics. I have nothing against these issues, just stay out of my games.
  16. Dec 26, 2013
    This is the most insulting way I've been conned into spending 6€ for anything. The 'official' reviews are obviously either biased or something worse, because there is no way one would appreciate this.
    I agree with some who said the reviews tell more about gaming journalism than they do the actual game. In fact, I think I won't buy a single 'real game' ever again.
    This is the most

This is the most amateurish, cringeworthy nonsense that I happened to see on a monitor. It would be offending to read it, but having to 'play' though it was so disgusting that words and comparisons fail me.

If you enjoy rummaging through an empty house filled with memories of a typical grunge/new wave problematic teenager girl, to the point of some idiotic and ineffective innuendo, you must be either:
    a) a very bored teenager (nothing wrong with it, but I think you could find the flatness of the story annoying)
    b) a new wave/grunge/etc hipster who when sees 90's stuff goes berserk and has Sonic Youth posters on the wall (you know the 'we killed our parents' one)

It's not a bad game. It's a bad idea and a worse execution. It's uninteresting, boring and plain pretentious to the point it becomes offensive to anyone intelligence. It's like supposing you've got so little to do, that you better spend time piecing together a B-class teenage romantic novel, masqueraded as a mystery.

It's not that, like some 'journalist' said "something different". Whatever it is, it's useless, meaningless and it's not different: it just tries to be different and fails miserably, becoming nothing.

It's not a game. And no, the story isn't interesting. It's stupid and very very shallow.

Donkey Kong had a better story
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    This is a barely interactive story. People have been sold a bill of goods by reviewers who have missed the point of what they are supposed to do, review a game based on its quality, not on its message or for what it is. Basically people have seen this in film for a long time now where films are overly praised by critics and even given awards because a certain group feels "noble" pattingThis is a barely interactive story. People have been sold a bill of goods by reviewers who have missed the point of what they are supposed to do, review a game based on its quality, not on its message or for what it is. Basically people have seen this in film for a long time now where films are overly praised by critics and even given awards because a certain group feels "noble" patting themselves on the back for praising such material and then basically think that others who are less enlightened than they are should view said material. Basically the way many religions work. Its just very misguided because people want objective reviews, not ones based on political bias. I personally have no issues with the issues of sexuality, I'm probably pro everything they are, but I don't need to be patronized to and be told I have play something because they think its good for me, not because it has objective quality. Basically, don't lie to me just because you think its for a good cause. That kind of thing is never justified. Expand
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    If you are unbearably board,and like mild a ass storyline this is a game for you.Who made this crap should unninstal all programs related to programing and buy a
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    I bought this game and bought into the hype that surrounded it. And it was sorely disappointing. It has great atmosphere, but it doesn't do anything with it. No twists, and what little build up there is comes to a very poor payoff. If you want to get an atmosphere of a home, go save yourself 20$ and go around your own house and pick up random objects for 2 hours. You won't be missing much.
  20. Jan 29, 2014
    If you've never read a book before, then you'll probably be amazed at the depth of storytelling in this first-person house snooping simulator as you spend two hours listening to a teenage girl whine about how hard life is.
  21. Jan 30, 2014
    A complete waste of an hour and a half of my half. The only reason people would give this game a 10 (or even anything over a 1) is because of the lesbian storyline. There's no reason to rate a game based solely on the storyline. Despite the graphics being TERRIBLE the game was horribly lagging (and my system can play newer games fine). There was also no real gameplay. To just wander aA complete waste of an hour and a half of my half. The only reason people would give this game a 10 (or even anything over a 1) is because of the lesbian storyline. There's no reason to rate a game based solely on the storyline. Despite the graphics being TERRIBLE the game was horribly lagging (and my system can play newer games fine). There was also no real gameplay. To just wander a house reading memos and listening to voice-overs. There is no mystery to solve (well, I guess there is a mystery about the parents, but you never solve it). Everything is laid out for you in memos. There's no skill required at all. It makes this thing (I can't bring myself to call it a game), mind numbingly boring. On behalf of Oregonians everywhere I apologize to anyone who wasted their $20 on this mess. Seriously, don't buy this. Don't even waste your bandwidth downloading a pirated copy. It isn't worth it. Learn from my (and many others) mistakes. Avoid at all cost. Want a coming-of-age gay story, pick up a book. Want a fun game, play anything but this. Expand
  22. Sep 22, 2013
    Shameful display of what video games have turned in recently. Most of objects in game look like filler. Yes, there are notes papers anything you can read but can I use pens, highlighters? I could manage to find a way to microwave myself a bucket of ice-cream. So called "interactive enviroment" doesnt live up to its name, the game is basically walk-and-read which makes it quite simillarShameful display of what video games have turned in recently. Most of objects in game look like filler. Yes, there are notes papers anything you can read but can I use pens, highlighters? I could manage to find a way to microwave myself a bucket of ice-cream. So called "interactive enviroment" doesnt live up to its name, the game is basically walk-and-read which makes it quite simillar to run-and-gun games mechanics wise (if there were any...). Story is trivial, the only "new" feature is trendy "homosexual" theme. Writing is "why?.."-grade. Last but not least: horrible optimisation. Game took 2 gb of ram, I had fps spikes in some areas Expand
  23. Dec 28, 2013
    Luckily I got this "game" on a Steam special. I normally believe the story to be the most important part of a game, but there's no game here. Added to that the story is lame and I've read Sweet Valley High books with better plots. The writers were smart though cause this ~10 page story (didn't really keep track) woulf never have got anywhere as any other medium.

If I could score it less

If I could score it less than 0, I would.
  24. Jan 26, 2014
    Ok graphics. Almost spooky. interesting. Open another drawer. Storyline shock. Offended. Bored. Still Bored. Offended Again. To Plot, or not to Plot..., Wait, that's the end? No, really that's it? Check for passing time... 2.5 hrs. Should have went bowling.
  25. Dec 21, 2013
    So i've heard great things about this game from reviews and dcided to try it. Trash, thats it. You arrive to an empty house and have to walk around and find hidden rooms and letters, it's boring, no puzzles or gameplay at all. The first 5 minutes i was neutral, it wasn't boring but not fun, then after 7 minutes i had to endure to complete the game, waste of time, the only reason someoneSo i've heard great things about this game from reviews and dcided to try it. Trash, thats it. You arrive to an empty house and have to walk around and find hidden rooms and letters, it's boring, no puzzles or gameplay at all. The first 5 minutes i was neutral, it wasn't boring but not fun, then after 7 minutes i had to endure to complete the game, waste of time, the only reason someone would buy this is if level 1 tetris is to hard for them Expand
  26. Jan 23, 2014
    This is the worst attempt of a game I have ever played in 25+ years of gaming. Critics want to give the creators a medal for the agenda in this game which is homosexuality, like these game developers discovered it exists or something. It is nothing close to a game, it contributes nothing new to any genre and most importantly, it is not worth the value for your hard earned money. Stay awayThis is the worst attempt of a game I have ever played in 25+ years of gaming. Critics want to give the creators a medal for the agenda in this game which is homosexuality, like these game developers discovered it exists or something. It is nothing close to a game, it contributes nothing new to any genre and most importantly, it is not worth the value for your hard earned money. Stay away at all costs, or wait until it costs 99 cents. What a forgettable and pretentious experience. Expand
  27. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I completely don't get those positive reviews. They may show how low level of narrative is satisfying game critics. I don't treat this as a game, it's not. It's sort of a virtual novel. But novel written by 19 years old ambitious but mediocre student. Nobody would print a book with story like this. And movie would be booed for sure. I don't get that special pregnant-women-like treatment.
    Why game critics need so little to get excited? Look at critics score (around 85) and gamers (50).
    It says a lot about standards.
    Going back to the game itself.
    Retro environment is ok. Especially for hipsters but it's fun to see vhs with x-files on it. Misleading side stories are ok, they give something to keep You going to that completely predictable and infantile ending. She is a lesbian? Really?! Whoa! Sixth sense all over again.
    And...? Story should start here.
    Two points for expanding virtual novels world. But it's still like Harlequin in world of literature.
  28. Aug 3, 2014
    Biggest act of betrayal from critics ever. Giving a game perfect score or anything close to a perfect score just because it deals with gay rights is not just deceitful, dishonest and suspect but is also perverse, not for the subject matter but for the bull#&$ pc way you've handled a professional job. I can no longer rely on professional reviews to make a judgment on if I will make a gameBiggest act of betrayal from critics ever. Giving a game perfect score or anything close to a perfect score just because it deals with gay rights is not just deceitful, dishonest and suspect but is also perverse, not for the subject matter but for the bull#&$ pc way you've handled a professional job. I can no longer rely on professional reviews to make a judgment on if I will make a game purchase,

Thankfully we have user reviews on Metacritic which I WILL be using to avoid "games" like this in the future as I would AIDS. Although even with that you need to make sure it's not corporate shills typing their one off review with a 9/10 attachment, or some delusional art student, who's only game consists of this, pacman and portal. . You're not fooling anyone guys.

Great idea, horribly delivered, the dialogue wasn't even good, the best friend subplot felt disjointed to the narrative, I mean I could go on and on and on.

The atmosphere was great if it was a horror game as the blurb would lead you to believe, but it isn't, it's just a disappointing walking simulator that does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to entice you. Thankfully the game only clocked in at an hour. First, (and hopefully last), game I will ever truly regret buying, leaving me with an awful taste, a slightly more full rubbish bin, and a lasting wish that I had some recourse for restitution i.e. a f$&**^ refund. Seriously, frak this game and all the reviewers.
  29. Sep 1, 2013
    Wow. Adventure game my ass. This is There is no gameplay, and the story is mediocre. It seems to be getting praise because it involves LGBT rights. Well, I think I may get some sewage, unload it on some toilet paper with "LESBIAN" written on it, put it for sale, and proceed to be called the future of cuisine.
  30. Sep 2, 2013
    Unbelievably pretentious interactive story packaged as a video game, purely to reach a broader audience. Luckily I didn't lose my $20 to this gimmick (I played through with a friend; he, however, DID lose on this purchase). Still, I'd like the two wasted hours of my life back.

The spooky, haunted vibe throughout the narrative the only interesting element in this failure is just a veil. Yes, I'm aware that The Fullbright Company was very upfront when I came to the gameplay mechanics and features they implemented. I was aware of the lack of ANY enemies or zombies or hordes that may have been creeping around every corner. Still, half of the narrative was devoted to exploring this seemingly haunted house, only to completely ignore the need to wrap up this storyline in any way.

The interactivity isn't clever. It isn't unique. It isn't fun. After about five minutes picking up EVERY object at random in the house, it's impossible to not get bored. And unfortunately, that's the ONLY strand of gameplay to the entire game. Painful.

If this and the added multitude of other poor user scores are still not enough to convince you to stay away, PLEASE divert to YouTube and watch a Let's Play instead. It doesn't matter which user you pick to watch, as each will prove to be just as un-entertaining as the last and you can then at least see the narrative for yourself and decide that an average 4.9 user score is accurate. Seriously, I'm trying to save you 20 bucks.
  31. Sep 6, 2013
    The fact that this game has a 90% from critics is really going to have me second guessing any future reviews i read, in this game you literally do and accomplish nothing. A ridiculous waste of money.
  32. egn
    Dec 20, 2013
    This isn't really a game. The developers are great visual artists; but game developers? No. Most of the 10 reviews here are probably given because of "political correctness". This also explains the developer reviews.

You walk around a house. You hear about this white family's first world problems. The daughter is a pretty badly stereotyped man-hating radical feminist. The

The developers are more interested in political statements and scoring cheap points with empty politically-based criticisms of other developers.

They also censor criticism of the game on the Steam forums, which is basically to be expected I suppose.

Anyway, not worth the price, the game has about 10 minutes of playtime, an hour tops.
  33. Nov 27, 2013
    Gone Home has to be one of the most overrated indie games this year. It does nothing new or innovative. It's an interactive story, but the story is just another generic teenage lover story with a predictable ending.
  34. Jan 5, 2014
    This game needs a page long rant about miss-leading advertising and what constitutes mystery thriller content. Sufficed to say that the critics are full of it. This game is garbage. Don't waste your money.
  35. Aug 28, 2013
    honestly one of the worst games ever made, a crime to the industry.
    firstly it has no gameplay whatsoever, it's just walking around, looking at things, walk around some more.
    the story is also ridiculous and has many loopholes. do not trust anyone who rated this game good. they played it because they are social justice morons who read about it on their transgender rights blog and rated
    honestly one of the worst games ever made, a crime to the industry.
    the story is also ridiculous and has many loopholes.
    do not trust anyone who rated this game good. they played it because they are social justice morons who read about it on their transgender rights blog and rated it highly for the simple reason it has a lesbian in it.
    terrible, awful, a crime to humanity. whoever thinks this is art, or a game, or even a good concept in the first place should be locked in a cell for their crimes.
  36. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm so, so pissed off upon finishing this game. Not for the gameplay I actually like just rummaging the house leisurely, but, whoever thought the story is extraordinary clearly never reads any single literature in their life. This is twilight v.2, except instead of edward there is lonnie (dangerous vampire boy/bad punk girl). sam just gives up all of her life, future and family just like that for her. And then they live happily ever after just like that?? Is there anyone here really thinks it could work!? Hah! I would like to see the sequel where sam comes home brokenhearted to her parents house

This is a short story not a game. I wouldn't mind paying 5$ for this, but for 20$ write something better will you.

And of course the price tag 20$ just screams of taking money as much as they can because the dev knows people will buy this thing for being "progressive" game.

I would be more inclined to think they actually try to bring positive light into the game industry if the price is 5-10$, equally compared to the game length.

As it stands, it's all about the money.
  37. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -TL;DR- Spoiler Free
    Rating: 2/10
    It is barely a game, and there are better stories out there more worthy of your time and money.
    It is about two hours long.
    -TL;DR- Spoiler Free

Actual Review
    -Objective- Spoiler Free
    In Gone Home you come home from a journey to Europe to find your family home empty. You then wander around the house picking up things trying to find those that trigger auditory journal entries from your younger sister or give clues to where other entry triggering items may be. There are also subplots about your mother and father which do not have auditory journal entries. After one to two (realtime) hours of searching the house you discover why your family is not present, the screen fades to black, music plays, and credits roll.
    -Objective- Spoiler Free

-Subjective- Spoilers
    The stories told in Gone Home are generic. They may seem unique to people who only play video games, but such stories have been told before, with superior presentation, and superior depth in other artistic mediums. The main story is focused on the player character's younger sister. PC's younger sister has a hard time making friends and gets in trouble with authority figures because of teenage angst. It is then revealed that the younger sister is a homosexual, and the rest of the story is about her romantic involvement with another teenage girl. PC's parents deny their daughter's homosexuality and ground her for a month and disallow her girlfriend being alone with her with closed doors afterwards. Naturally the younger sister dislikes this because she is unable to see her girlfriend for a month and afterwards they would not be able to have sex. Then younger sister and her girlfriend will have to break up because of reasons, but then because of feelings they decide to stay together and drive away together, which is why neither of them are at home.
    The dad is a struggling author.
    The mom works in the forest.
    They have relationship problems and head to a couples retreat, which is why neither of them are home.
    Little sister's former male friend took his SNES back after finding out she is a lesbian, leaving PC with no games at all in the house. Thanks a lot, you jerk.
    -Subjective- Spoilers
  38. Nov 27, 2013
    First off, I just wanted to say I tried this game because I love non-conventional games with a great story. I knew that Emily Carrol's wife worked a lot of this game. I love Emily Carrol's stories, and have read a bit of what her wife wrote and really enjoyed it. I thought I would really enjoy this, especially since it's got some high praising reviews. And there were some really goodFirst off, I just wanted to say I tried this game because I love non-conventional games with a great story. I knew that Emily Carrol's wife worked a lot of this game. I love Emily Carrol's stories, and have read a bit of what her wife wrote and really enjoyed it. I thought I would really enjoy this, especially since it's got some high praising reviews. And there were some really good qualities to this game, such as the graphics, and the voice acting.

Here are a few things I wish I had known. First, the main storyline is LGBT based, geared towards seeking understanding from those who are straight. I am guessing this is why it got so many positive reviews (if you hate LGBT propaganda, people assume you're a narrow-minded, homophobic bigot). But it was so focused on the lesbian aspect of it, that it detracted with what might've been an incredible story. I mean, if you were to replace the lesbian couple with a straight one, the story would've been a dull, overly dramatic teenage love story (think Twilight). As for the story itself, there is wonderful voice acting with a lot of emotion (Twilight itself was very well written, in my opinion. But the story, and practically everything else about it sucked). The story was just too predictable. I was hoping for quite a bit more. I mean, it started off pretty fantastic. The lights flicker in the home, there are secret passages and corridors and there are few hints to a haunting, which make it very eerie in the beginning. You hear a lot about the rest of the family, such as a deceased uncle who used to own the place. But none of that is explained, or seems to be anything but an incomplete side story to the lesbian action.

The story is so predictable, I didn't expect it. And gosh, can I say it again, it is TOO teenage-lesbian-love focused!!!!! I mean, the one thing that did turn me for a loop was wandering into a bathroom and finding splotches of blood on the bathtub. Is this ever explained? Nooo... I'm trying not to include any spoilers, but there is no record of anyone bleeding in a tub!!! There are also eerie moments, where there are creeks here and there, and the attic looks downright horrifying with the red lights signaling that the dark room is in use. Throughout the whole story, you're expecting some tragedy and deeper plot. I mean, you're searching your new home for a trace as to where your parents and sister have gone. Turns out, your parents have left for a perfectly reasonable and well needed "break" to help sort things out.

***WARNING, SPOILERS***
    Here is what you discover about your sister. She's 16-17, moves into a new neighborhood with a new school. She is dealing with teenage emotion, and feels like everybody hates her, and her parents don't understand what she's going through (again, Twilight, anyone?). She falls in love with (not a vampire) a lesbian, they have sex, lie to their parents, write love letters, lead some teenage anarchy rebellion protest at school that gets them suspended, she tells her parents (they just don't understand!), tragically their lives go separate ways (she gets accepted into a college writing program, and her lover joins the army), after a few days apart they realize they just can't live without each other and decide to run away. It was an awful story. If it was a straight boy and a girl, it would be awful. But apparently because it's got LGBT in it, that makes it good? I don't think so. I want any LGBT out there to know that while I don't understand all that you go through, I think many of you are wonderful people and I wish more people could see past that. However, I think there are better ways to reach understanding and acceptance. I didn't want a game focused on it. I don't think it leads to greater understanding to focus on it in a teenage, mushy, sexually hyper story. I mean, everyone knows what it's like to fall in love for the first time as a teenager. You're obsessive, your hormones are raging, and unless your careful you do stupid things. I didn't feel that way at the time, but I am so grateful I had parents who knocked some sense into me, and would "tread upon my rights as a human being" to keep me from being an idiot. I also have to attribute some of this to the saving grace of God. As an older brother I would hands down be furious if my teenage sister lied to our parents, had sexual relations with anyone at all, threw out her future and then ran away! We've all felt like our parents were restricting us, telling us what to do, who didn't understand the power of love, who were upset and in shock because they didn't understand (gay or not)... it makes for a bad story, albeit one we can relate to.

1 star for Emily Carrol's wife. You both do great work. I loved the graphics! I love the emotion. But still the story and game play was sub par. I know you can do better.
  39. Dec 26, 2013
    One hour of gameplay for 20 dollars. This game is a joke, and you could save your money by simply watching a let's play on Youtube. The story is decent, but it's not worth the price.
  40. Dec 27, 2013
    This game makes for mixed feelings. From an artistic standpoint and the way the game goes about telling the story I may be hard pressed to not give it a 9 or 10. That being said from a video game standpoint, I settled on a 4. It's short, expensive, and at the end of the day is better suited as a youtube video than a game by itself. Interesting story, not what I expected but at the endThis game makes for mixed feelings. From an artistic standpoint and the way the game goes about telling the story I may be hard pressed to not give it a 9 or 10. That being said from a video game standpoint, I settled on a 4. It's short, expensive, and at the end of the day is better suited as a youtube video than a game by itself. Interesting story, not what I expected but at the end of the day, this is worth it for $5 or so. $20 and you'll be left feeling robbed. Expand
  41. Dec 29, 2013
    Do not play this game expecting a gripping story or a complex plot. The gameplay is the only thing that this game had going for it, and the gameplay consisted of walking, reading, and moving small objects. The best parts was the ability to pick up most objects, and the navigation of the map. On the other hand, the downsides dominated this small list of good things. The plot was ok, but notDo not play this game expecting a gripping story or a complex plot. The gameplay is the only thing that this game had going for it, and the gameplay consisted of walking, reading, and moving small objects. The best parts was the ability to pick up most objects, and the navigation of the map. On the other hand, the downsides dominated this small list of good things. The plot was ok, but not exciting, really. There was nothing surprising and it was stereotypical of the time and setting. Some of the mysteries are unsolved, and there is not a satisfying closure. The game is extremely short, which actually does it justice because if you paused playing, you might think there is something exciting to be seen next time you play. That is not the case. I finished this game in just under 2 hours. I do not recommend it and I am glad it was no more than 10 dollars. Expand
  42. Jan 7, 2014
    Joeberto's Short Review -

If you want to watch a movie then rent a Dvd.

Game's interaction very low.

Duration of the entire game, 1 hour (a movie is longer).

Graphic [mid-low].

Don't buy it.
  43. Jun 28, 2014
    Beautiful story and nice references, but it fails on what is the most important in games: Being fun to play. Gone Home is boring, it could have puzzles or something to make it fun, but it doesn't.
  44. Oct 20, 2013
    Prior to playing this I had heard so many praising it as one of the greatest stories in any video game. Upon finishing I questioned whether those people had any idea what a good story actually is, because Gone Home; despite it's reputation as a great story-focused game; is executed so poorly that it barely qualifies as a game or even a story.

There is nothing of interest to discover

There is nothing of interest to discover here but a teenage girl's struggle with her friend. It's different sure, but in the end it's a conflict that has already been resolved and means there is nothing to become involved with or witness here. After 30 minutes to 2 hours of nothing but wandering this empty house, your reward is minimal emotional payoff, and then you're greeted with the credits as trashy 90s punk rips through your ears.

I'm upset to see this proclaimed as a good story when the only reason to care for it is if it resonates with your life in some way. There are no events to behold or become hooked by, or even a narrative to experience. It's the artistic equivalent of a poetry piece posted to tumblr. No craft has been put into making this something genuinely great or interesting. It feels like a self-serving vanity project that possesses no substance as story or game. The only merit I found in Gone Home is that it is a display of how terrible something in this medium can be without being broken or offensive.
  45. Sep 3, 2013
    My review in two words: Hipster ****

My review in two words: Hipster ****

I have no problem with games that are nothing more than interactive stories. The Walking Dead game by Telltale Games is phenomenal and does the genre the correct way. Gone Home falls flat because there is no reason to play the game more than once and it does an awful job of getting the player to care about the people that are NEVER seen in the game. It's intriguing at first, but the story is hackneyed and presented poorly. Without posting any spoilers, I can say that the "build-up" in the story is completely wasted by the ending. It's a shame too, because with better writing, this game could have been terrific. As it is, there is no reason to care about the characters.

My other beef with Gone Home is the $20 price tag: Massive ripoff. The Walking Dead games were $5 per episode and a single episode is longer than Gone Home. I explored the game carefully and still finished in 2 hours. I could go back and look for the hidden doors, but I have NO motivation to do so, as it doesn't change the story.

Instead of wasting money on this story, try one of the better done interactive stories, such as The Walking Dead or Dear Ester. Even the point and click adventures of the late 90's (like King's Quest series) had better storytelling and re-playability than Gone Home.
  46. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was horribly misrepresented by what I saw on steam. I expected a neat mystery with revelations and real discovery.. yet what i am met with is some stupid (albeit well told) little story about a lesbian girl and her aspirations or whatever. The exploration was somewhat cool and interesting until i found out what it was about. Then i just felt disgusted and betrayed. Expand
  47. Oct 31, 2013
    If you like to spend time clicking stuff, reading letters and listening to a stupid teenager audio tapes, this is your game. The critics cheated me, I never was so regretful buying a game.
  48. Sep 3, 2013
    Absolutely disgusting. For starters, this "game" doesn't even have much gameplay. Instead it focuses on "story", but the story is just awful. It manages to be both cringe-worthy and boring, which is a feat that I thought to be impossible to achieve, but Gone Home proved me wrong. You can buy a box of paper clips and have more fun with it than with Gone Home.
  49. Sep 3, 2013
    Thank goodness I looked at metacritic and not just critics' reviews as I thought I was losing my sanity. Every site is raving about this game and I found it a complete and total waste of $20.00. First off, it's extremely short. My steam logged just over an hour for me to finish the ENTIRE game. Secondly, the story was not something I cared for whatsoever and wasn't ground breaking inThank goodness I looked at metacritic and not just critics' reviews as I thought I was losing my sanity. Every site is raving about this game and I found it a complete and total waste of $20.00. First off, it's extremely short. My steam logged just over an hour for me to finish the ENTIRE game. Secondly, the story was not something I cared for whatsoever and wasn't ground breaking in any way shape or form. The only interaction you have in this game is scanning through objects and listening to diary entries. It feels like a fourth of what a complete game should be.

If this game was 5 dollars it MIGHT be worth the purchase. For the 20 the developers are asking it's highway robbery. Whoever at that company got critics to write RAVING reviews to get schmucks like me to purchase it should get a medal. What a waste of time and money.
  50. Fre
    Sep 7, 2013
    This is not a game this is a one this is a first person lifetime movie with no real game play this is over hype and not worth anyone time unless you want a 2 hour 20$
  51. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two girls fell in love and ran away! The parents went to couple's counseling for an affair the wife had. That's why no one's home! That's it! I just saved you an hour of your life! The entire game is just exploring the house and listening to some girl monologue about her budding romance with a girl named Loni. Yes, you can open doors, turn on lights, pick stuff up and shallowly toss them aside. You can read countless bits of meaninglessly pieces of paper. Expand
  52. Dec 1, 2013
    This is not a game. This is a scam for money. The programming is so crappy you could glitch the game and finish it in a matter 60 seconds.

The critics here are liars, they are paid to the bones to make this game look good. Please steer clear and save the video game industry by not touching anything like this.
  53. Dec 28, 2013
    Absurdly overpriced (20$) for a game that only lasts 1-2 hours and has very simplistic gameplay. I kind of wish I had some sort of warning about this before I bought it. The story is engaging at first until you realize nothing really interesting is going on and they may as well have made the story into a short movie or at least cut the price down significantly, I mean for a game that hasAbsurdly overpriced (20$) for a game that only lasts 1-2 hours and has very simplistic gameplay. I kind of wish I had some sort of warning about this before I bought it. The story is engaging at first until you realize nothing really interesting is going on and they may as well have made the story into a short movie or at least cut the price down significantly, I mean for a game that has story as its main focus the whole thing felt very underwhelming and when I figured out what the game wanted me to figure out I thought there had to be more to the story but I was wrong. I think I'd have appreciated it a lot more if the price was significantly reduced and there were more gameplay mechanics besides walking around a house looking at things but unfortunately Gone Home just didn't do it for me. Expand
  54. Jun 30, 2014
    This is not a game, it is an audio log with the ability to walk around. "Unravel the mystery for yourself" Your sister is a homosexual, mystery solved, and I saved you $20.
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    Short stories aren't games, especially when they have no game play. If the story didn't take advantage of lesbians, no one would care about the story.
  56. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    I'm sorry, but Walking Simulator 2014 (Gone Home) should not be sold. What you get for 20 bucks is a 2 hour game at the most, with a boring story.. The gameplay is non-existent, so if you wanted a game, you'll be disappointed. There really is no appeal to this game, and no one should be buying this. There are adventure games out there that give more story and interactivity. Play them.
  57. Dec 29, 2013
    Gone Homo is a pretty gay game, literally, and as such deserves a place in the trash. The fact that so many games journos heaped so much praise on it just shows how wildly out of touch they are with their fanbases, and how desperate these people are to latch onto hip political trends so quickly. As a game Gone Homo isn't one, as a story it's cringeworthy, and for $20 it's a mere 90 minutesGone Homo is a pretty gay game, literally, and as such deserves a place in the trash. The fact that so many games journos heaped so much praise on it just shows how wildly out of touch they are with their fanbases, and how desperate these people are to latch onto hip political trends so quickly. As a game Gone Homo isn't one, as a story it's cringeworthy, and for $20 it's a mere 90 minutes of wandering around an empty house piecing together a story if you for some reason really want to lose more faith in humanity and see this abomination for yourself just head on over to your friendly torrent site and check it out for free, otherwise steer clear of this sandwich. Expand
  58. Aug 26, 2013
    If this is a game then I'm Michael Jackson.
    Jesus christ people please check your privileges this is NOT worth 20 dollars or even 5 dollars..........
  59. Sep 27, 2013
    I like to think of myself as an adventure game aficionado, having played most games in the genre from Zork to Amnesia. This "game" is a supreme disappointment. Like a lot of indie titles, it has great promise at the start: interesting and novel storyline, realistic characters...that quickly dissolves into the player wishing that a larger game company would have come along and taken overI like to think of myself as an adventure game aficionado, having played most games in the genre from Zork to Amnesia. This "game" is a supreme disappointment. Like a lot of indie titles, it has great promise at the start: interesting and novel storyline, realistic characters...that quickly dissolves into the player wishing that a larger game company would have come along and taken over the game so it could live up to it's potential.

Pros:
    - Great voice acting and interesting characters.
    - A big, empty house to explore with lots of attention paid to the design of the objects you can pick up
    ....
    Cons:
    - A storyline that starts out with promise and fizzles quickly into a dull, anticlimactic ending that seems rushed and devoid of any real tension.
    - Character stories that go nowhere and have zero closure.
    - No real scariness or tension, even though there was plenty of potential for it.
    - Overly simplistic gameplay. Actually, you can't call it gameplay. It's more like you are walking through a storyline picking up pieces of the narrative as you go. You can look at objects but rarely do they serve any additional purpose.
    - A VERY SHORT GAME THAT IS OVERPRICED FOR WHAT IT IS!

You should buy this for $5 max. Seriously, you will be done with it in 2 hours and kick yourself for having paid any more for it.

P.S. I loathed Dear Esther, and this is just a couple steps above.
  60. Aug 25, 2013
    This is not a game. There is NO GAMEPLAY. At best it is an interactive story. At worst it is a LiveJournal in 3d. I've made better games by accident. You'll have more fun with Superman 64 or Desert Bus.
  61. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is like a movie idea that got rejected. I seriously felt like i was watching a long episode of degrassi or something. Not worth your money and the scores metacritic blows out of proportion saying inflated statements about this game.
  62. Aug 26, 2013
    I don't think I've ever purchased a game before, then after finishing wanted my money back. This would be the first. At least if you purchase Kindle novel you have 7 days to return it for a full refund. The same should apply for this Gone Home, as after all it's more of a very short novel, than a game.
  63. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can beat this game way too fast. When the credits rolled, I was stunned. I really thought this was going to be some kind of horror game, but it turned out to be about a lesbian romance. Wish I would have bought something else. Expand
  64. Dec 27, 2013
    There is no game. Saying there was a game here is a joke. The only reason critics like it is because of the lesbian empowerment angle. Yes, the game review industry is that sad. It's not fun, nothing happens, it ends and then you get angry for having spent money on this. Hipsters may like it, critics have NO CHOICE but to like it, but game players shouldn't be tricked into spending moneyThere is no game. Saying there was a game here is a joke. The only reason critics like it is because of the lesbian empowerment angle. Yes, the game review industry is that sad. It's not fun, nothing happens, it ends and then you get angry for having spent money on this. Hipsters may like it, critics have NO CHOICE but to like it, but game players shouldn't be tricked into spending money on this.

Dear Esther is a much better game if you like this sort of "game." At least it has atmosphere and beautiful graphics. This allows you to explore a house I last saw in U9.
  65. Oct 23, 2013
    I LOVE adventure games so I really wanted to give it a shot. What I didn't expect was the terrible storyline. It feels like a LGBT organization created the story to push an agenda. While politics aren't the main focus of the game, the constant jabs are there. I would stay away if you don't like leftist politics jammed down your throat the whole game.

I'll give it a 1 instead of a 0

I'll give it a 1 instead of a 0 because other than the political slant, it's mildly entertaining.
  66. Oct 4, 2013
    This is one of the good sample of "ridiculously overrated short story types" which shouldn't be released to cruel and very elective PC platform. Especially for 20 dollars. Really?! You can buy bundles by that money. PC gamers expect much more than this however just because of it's an emotional story-even though it's a bad and very very histrionic one, so that i would almost puke- playersThis is one of the good sample of "ridiculously overrated short story types" which shouldn't be released to cruel and very elective PC platform. Especially for 20 dollars. Really?! You can buy bundles by that money. PC gamers expect much more than this however just because of it's an emotional story-even though it's a bad and very very histrionic one, so that i would almost puke- players want to experience it.
    Actually producers of this game can tell us what they want to in 2 paragraphs instead of making 1 hour game. Besides it is short, it is so boring, overly histrionic, average graphics but nothing.
    Terrible.
  67. Sep 5, 2013
    Not worth the money on Steam, inferior to something similar like Dear Esther. Resonated even less since I am from the UK and it's very USA specific in it's attempts to evoke nostalgia. Don't buy it.
  68. sdi
    Sep 27, 2013
    This finely crafted interactive movie can be hardly considered a game and definitely does not resemble what the deceptive marketing made it out to be.
  69. Jan 1, 2014
    Essentially a book with a boring old Seventh Heaven story and a clumsy interface for turning the pages. The "game" can literally be beaten in 1 minute.
  70. Jun 26, 2014
    Hello there childrens, join me today for the most boring, akward, not-interesting journey about Sam, some girl with no personality whatsoever!

As first, let's get this through: this is a first person adventure, so I wasn't expecting much action or big stuff goin on since it's all based on the plot. But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on

But why do you even make a game like this if your plot it's usless? We'll focus more on this later.

The map it's surprisingly good looking, and there are lot of stuff you can interact with, and most of them will bring you back the 90s feel (such as VHS, cassette tapes etc). Most of the models looks very good, and the graphic is fine.

I don't really know what to say about the soundtrack. Sometimes it's really really good and it work well with the moment, sometimes well.. it's just silly. A sad song pops up almost out of nowhere, or you find a cassette tape with a song that will make your ear bleed and grow a mouth that will ask you to stop playing the game.

The voice acting it's good, but in the end, there is just 1 actress, the main protagonist talking. She's good, but doesen't help the story to look interesting. Also, her laugh makes me unconfortable.

And now, the main thing about the game. The story. Short, predictable and pointless. ****

You have this setting: you're Sam, a girl that it's coming back home after a while to find out that no one it's home. But why? We'll see that later on.
    You have to explore the home to find out more about your past and to what happened to everyone. Turns out you're "not attracted to men" and you had a long complicated story with your partner. A love story that for most of the time it's **** akward to listen and really made me unconfortable BUT NOT because of the sexual iterest into someone of the same gender, don't get me wrong, it was akward BECAUSE IT GET REALLY **** RIDICULOUS FOR MOST OF THE EVENTS SHE'S NARRATING. And most of this event ends up with her crying. What a surprise.
    In the end, to be honest, the story could have been interesting or a little more enjoyable if something big whould happen, like some trama plot. But nope, in the end they tear apart, they never saw each other, teh edn. Boo-hoo ending I guess. Not working at all.
    Oh and what happened to the family, why they leave the house? I dunno. Why, do you care? Should we care? I think the story it's already good without some explanation. Effin-great.

Also, this game looks easy as it can gets. There are almost no puzzles, just a bunch of combination or paper that tells you where to find hidden spots (just 2 or 3 in the whole game) and it's super short. I've beat this game in 77 minutes. And what's the best part? If you like to mess around, you could easly find the main hidden spot, get the key, go to the attic and beat the game in 3 minutes! Who designed this **** Aha!

Final rating: 2/10

You probably need to be some Tumblr feminist girl to enjoy this story. Probably even them find this game offensive.

Oh, almost forgot, this won "Best PC game" over "Paper, please" and "Stanley Parable". Good.
  71. Oct 22, 2013
    This is an interactive story dressed as a game. The story is not that good and the interaction barely scratches the surface of what's possible inside a game world. Paying 9,49 euros on it during the 50% off period still feels like being ripped off. Also, Idle Thumbs can really hype the out of a bad experience.
  72. Jan 29, 2014
    A poorly written story that received undeserved positive praise because of its themes. Just because something tackles difficult issues in society does not automatically make it a good literary work or video game. The critic reviews reflect very poorly on the current state of video game journalism.
  73. Dec 7, 2013
    You can't even call this a game, it's a pretentious media presentation which presents a narrative wank job for those with a persecution complex to satisfy themselves with. Utter crap.
  74. Jan 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. $20 for a boring 1 hour game with a bad story....great. No idea why it's being showered with the critical praise it's been getting.
    The story is sub-par, the game is technically/graphically average, and it doesn't really bring anything "revolutionary" to gaming (we've been discovering stories by finding clues for a long time now...)

The entirety of Gone Home's "gameplay" consists of walking around a house and looking at/ touching objects...seriously...that's the entire "game", no puzzles, nothing. Don't waste your time with this poor excuse for a "game".

Again, I don't get why it is getting showered with praise unless it's some sort of industry-wide prank by the "professional critics" who, apparently, are so out of touch with gamers that they are giving this trash near perfect/GOTY scores while the majority of users are giving it near 0 scores... Is it the subject matter of a lesbian girl? I mean, who cares?? That doesn't make the story any better because the teenage sister is a lesbian and it doesn't improve the bare bones graphics and lack of gameplay!!! So what if people are gay??? Does it really matter that much? If so, why?
  75. May 25, 2014
    The reviews would have you believe this is worth your time and the price of entry - critics are meant to be critical, sadly, this game got a free pass for tackling a coming of age story with a mundane, predictable twist. Save yourself the trouble - read a book instead.
  76. Aug 28, 2014
    Something that strips away all that we expect of video games that contain mechanics and leaves it bare with just a weak, trite, and overhyped "narrative". Here's the problem with this "game", there are actual games that present a compelling narrative FAR BETTER than this and also are fully fleshed out titles (Deus Ex: HR, rummage around Adam Jensen's apartment and you get to learn aboutSomething that strips away all that we expect of video games that contain mechanics and leaves it bare with just a weak, trite, and overhyped "narrative". Here's the problem with this "game", there are actual games that present a compelling narrative FAR BETTER than this and also are fully fleshed out titles (Deus Ex: HR, rummage around Adam Jensen's apartment and you get to learn about his past). There's an entire genre of point and clicks that do it far better than this, and there are even some third person games similar to this that offer a far more compelling plot (the recent Sherlock Holmes game that allows you to play it like a third person game or switch to a point and click style).

Get this game if it goes on sale - the critic reviews vs. the user feedback should show you how messed up the game industry is - take everything you read with a grain of salt, including my own review.
  77. Dec 1, 2013
    What a mystery! I don't mean the story, I mean why some reviewers have given this game a high score.

It's too basic, lacking action, not scary at all, very short, and the story will likely only strike a chord with teenage girls going through sexual identity issues. Perhaps this is the reason why some reviewers have been kind, because it gives you a kind of "creepy house game" with some "notes on young lesbian lovers". It's a strange mix, seemingly forced together, but is awkward as a result.

There's some enjoyment to be had with exploring, but soon it becomes apparent that there's nothing much happening with this "game" and that it's basically just a boring story told via a simple "pick up this key"... "walk upstairs"...."open door"... the end.

Anyone who describes this game as "art", either doesn't get out enough, or doesn't know what games are capable of, or has an agenda to push this game for whatever reason. This game could have been a lot more. It feels like level one. Now, where's the rest?
  78. Sep 27, 2013
    A unique experience. Past games taught me to be afraid of dark, empty houses, and at first I was expecting monsters to jump at me from around the corners. By the end of the first half-hour, though, it's clear that this is about exploration and story, told through all mediums: text, audio, and graphical notes.

It's a shame the story wasn't better...
  79. Mar 13, 2014
    I walked in expecting a psychological horror and what I got was a 3-hour lesbian love story. I'm pro-gay rights, but this was advertised as a horror game. The highlight of the game was steggy.
  80. Oct 21, 2014
    If your idea of fun is going through an empty house and looking at the same simple 3D objects over and over again and the occasional note or drawing, this game isn't for you.

The narrative gets a lot of praise. But what narrative? finding a book or a letter can hardly be called a good narrative. You get some journal entries and that's where the whole of the story lies every now and then. But when you finally get them all, and listen to every entry one after the other. You will see this game exposed for what it is.

This is one of the most vile, putrid, disgusting and sorry ass excuse of a "video game" I have ever played. It's all about hating males, female SJW crap and lesbian "love story" that is so smearing and plastered all over your face over and over until you want to boil yourself alive.
    Bonus! It's anti-christian, anti-God and anti family + it has occultism too complete with satanic altar and everything!
  81. Sep 7, 2013
    Just when I was getting invested into the story.....it just ends. I leave my pc with my jaw wide open uttering the words "That's it? That's the ending?" The final act of this game leaves you so cold it's terrible.
  82. Dec 26, 2013
    I'm not going to say this "isn't a game" like lots of other people here. Art/mood/atmospheric stories are just as worthy as "games" as the shooter kill-em-all games they churn out near endlessly. In fact, most of my favourite gaming experiences are games with a similar emotional and atmospheric tone to them. But this game in particular, in my opinion, was poorly executed.

Let me

Let me explain. The game begins in a foreboding way, entering an empty old house in the middle of a storm, one of the first clues involving a young girl crying over an answering machine. As you go on, the mood continues its intriguing pull, taking you through a father obsessed with conspiracy theories, the brief story of the "ghost" of the house, and other dark family secrets that could really go anywhere. As you follow the clues you gradually discover the sister's lesbian relationship and the trials they go through until you reach the very end, an attic surrounded by red lights with a note saying "Do not enter when lights are on". What horrible thing awaits you here? With all the buildup it's bound to be something intriguing.

Nope. All that you find in the attic is a saccharine "twist" ending where the sister's girlfriend realizes she wants to be together more than any of her other life aspirations and they run away together. None of the foreboding atmosphere, the unsettling clues, any of it, pays off whatsoever. All of the families problems are resolved in a sugary sweet success and everyone goes home (yuk yuk) happy.

Now, I feel I should clarify that I am very much pro-gay relationships. But basically, I felt betrayed by this game. It's like following an engaging abduction mystery only to find out that the victim wasn't kidnapped at all and was simply off visiting her mum in the next town. You shouldn't have to hijack another genre and pretend your game is one thing and then shift towards something else at the last minute in order to make it seem more compelling a story than it actually is. All of the red herrings just really made the ending feel cheap and essentially made all of the buildup and excitement I'd been feeling disappear in a disappointing huff. The story was not deep or profound. It relied on faking an atmosphere in order to get a point across that, these days, I don't really think needs to be snuck in under the radar anymore.

The disappointment alone means I cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone else.
  83. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game i pure crap, sorry is only crap without a game. Nowadays web hype lets sell very well also the pure crap. The story is ridiculous, thunders and bolts and a raining night are there only to allude something is wrong. Yes everything is wrong this "game" or better this interactive romance is boring, and short. Where the **** is the good story? Knowing your sister is lesbian and go away with her gf the day you come back at home after years from Europe? Is this a good ****ing story? If you like to read old book covers, tickets and 3 pages max notes with boring stuff this is your game.

I hope people saying this is a good game are paid from the producer of this game otherwise they are totally dumb.
  84. Sep 7, 2013
    Don't buy into the hype, but don't fall for the extreme negativism either. I bought this game as a result of the reviews. To me it doesn't earn a 10 or anything above a 6.
    The amount of game play to complete does not, IMO, warrant a $19.99 price tag. Unlike other users, I had no issues with glitches or the functionality of the game.
    The storyline was engaging enough to keep me playing
    The storyline was engaging enough to keep me playing (which is saying something), but the end was sadly predictable. I found myself waiting for something startling to happen, but it didn't. Frankly, short was good considering I was tired of following the predictable plot line.
    The ability to interact with objects was unnecessarily overdone. There were far too many empty drawers to open, tissue boxes and 3-ring binders to pick up- all with no relevance to the game. And no, I don't care about the nutritional information on the cans of cola strewn about the mansion.
    Props to the devs for the retro theme. I had particular fun with the 3D print in Sam's room as a throwback to the '90s.
    I would like to have seen the parents' individual storylines fleshed out much more.
    Overall, I'm giving it a 6, because I feel that this genre of game has massive potential (think Zork from the '80s), but it is also extremely difficult to do well. It is easier to captivate with big baddies and shiny loot than to engage the player with simple environments and story driven plots. Gone Home had me engaged from the beginning to end, but ultimately I may not have had the patience for it to go on much longer as it is written. For the price, I am looking for better.
  85. Sep 16, 2013
    It's an interesting improvement on the "Dear Esther" Formula, you walk through very linear path without any challenge or exact goal set, other than getting the game over with. The game has a sort of mediocre plot, all the characters are extremely flat except the pink haired (who I've already forgotten the name of due to the game barely keeping my attention) I'm actually pretty sure allIt's an interesting improvement on the "Dear Esther" Formula, you walk through very linear path without any challenge or exact goal set, other than getting the game over with. The game has a sort of mediocre plot, all the characters are extremely flat except the pink haired (who I've already forgotten the name of due to the game barely keeping my attention) I'm actually pretty sure all the hype around this 2 hour piece of that feels more like a tech demo, is because the game thinks it's being controversial with the lesbian but honestly it isn't. The biggest drawback is there isn't a sprint button so I had to drag myself slowly around this mansion house listening to drawn out monologues about a teenager experiencing hormone changes. I kept on thinking I might encounter another character or something throughout the game with the lightning and empty house building up suspense, but no the entire game is you walking around a dumb house for 2 hours. The Shrek Gameboy game tops this Expand
  86. Oct 3, 2013
    This is a wonderful story, well-told in nice, quiet moments.
    BUT IT IS NO GAME AND HAS NO THRILL AT ALL!

Having said that, I can recommend the game for everyone who has watched "Tree of Life" and actually enjoyed it.
  87. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's not a game, it's an interactive-story. All you do is to rummage your family's belongings to discover what happened. In the game, everything suggest to hide an unexpected, dramatic and emotional secret. But it doesn't

Seriously, this game is a waste of time
  88. Nov 9, 2013
    Gone home is way overpriced and over-hyped.
    I finished the full game in 2 hours. Decided to take it in as an experience. After all when you came in you knew that you will be wandering around a house, collecting mementos and learning about your family. No surprise here, right?
    Gone home is way overpriced and over-hyped.
    However what you didn't know is that most of its focus will be about your sister. You get to sort of find out what happened to your parents, but I swear, like 80% of all notes I found was about your sister. The thing is it's not even something secret that you find out. The very first thing that you find is essentially her admitting that she is gay. Guess what's in the other notes? "I am gay. I am gay. I love a girl, etc". Is it really a topic that needs this much awareness?
    If you're making an exploration game deal in a variety of subjects, present a variety of lives with different problems, not all black and white either, because that's how life goes.

Also if you're a European you might not find this game as enjoyable, because it is mostly dealing in American problems.
  89. Nov 27, 2013
    Slow-paced, exploration-heavy adventure games are among my absolute favorite, so I was positively thrilled during the first half or so of Gone Home. It sports decent graphics, terrific atmosphere, great voice acting, and a sleek, totally immersive interface that lets you examine almost every object. Add a deserted old house that you're free to explore at your leisure, a creepy subplotSlow-paced, exploration-heavy adventure games are among my absolute favorite, so I was positively thrilled during the first half or so of Gone Home. It sports decent graphics, terrific atmosphere, great voice acting, and a sleek, totally immersive interface that lets you examine almost every object. Add a deserted old house that you're free to explore at your leisure, a creepy subplot involving the previous owner, and we're all set for great adventure!

If only. After an hour or so, I noticed that not much had happened in the way of actual gameplay. Reading notes and documents had been so entertaining, I didn't mind much. But then I started getting the sinking feeling that the game had no intention of delivering on its promises. It wasn't developing into a fully fledged adventure (the inclusion of a limited inventory with completely useless "items" notwithstanding) as I had hoped. Instead, it was morphing into something else.

In a nutshell, the game is an ambush. It is arguably not a game at all. It is, shockingly, a political piece, as carefully and deliberately conceived as it is blatant and ultimately inept. I cannot offer more details without spoiling things, so let's just say that the game's "story" starts veering into "young adult" fantasy territory and it just doesn't let up, right up to the laughable and cringe-worthy finale. Look for no twist, redemption or arc here this is as stereotypical as it gets. In spite of the short length and the overused "lost journal" device, the game even finds the time to take a couple of potshots against a few organizations and institutions; I'll let you guess what its predictable targets are. It's simply hard to believe. Frustratingly, the aspects that COULD have worked beautifully are quickly tossed aside so as not to distract from the main payload.

This is the game's death knell: I'm all for sacrificing gameplay in favor of a compelling story. But Gone Home has neither. You keep waiting for the game to start, and by the time you realize where this is going you've long grown tired of checking every item and opening every panel in search of the next scrap of paper.

As for the story, the designers' agenda permeates the proceedings so thoroughly that you'll likely to be pinned as something or other if you find any fault with it. I may applaud the designers for trying, and for having their heart in the right place, but this is clearly not the way to go. The proof is in the pudding: replace the (non) novelty aspect of the story (i.e., its main gimmick, the one that keeps hitting you over the head) by a more "classical" take, and I have little doubt that you'd be seeing very different ratings from most critics. The last image after the credits is actually enlightening; it tells you that the designers really believe all the trite pap their characters are forced to spout, write and do, with nary a hint of humor or self awareness.

Bottom line: Gone Home feels like a prototype of an adventure/horror game, temporarily populated with a token teenage story and little more. It is, in fact, a very nice prototype. I enjoyed its best bits, but the overall package is a huge disappointment, and in many ways an outright cheat.
  90. Nov 28, 2013
    First of all, this is not a game. Just a beautiful love story about blah-blah-blah... There are some things that make a game playable. Not a single one in that story, i prefer to call it "a story". If you're looking for something to spend a few hours without any challenges for your brain, this is a perfect choice. They told us there are many mysteries and things to investigate and explore.First of all, this is not a game. Just a beautiful love story about blah-blah-blah... There are some things that make a game playable. Not a single one in that story, i prefer to call it "a story". If you're looking for something to spend a few hours without any challenges for your brain, this is a perfect choice. They told us there are many mysteries and things to investigate and explore. Well, the only one secret still remains unsolved, why did i buy that? Expand
  91. Dec 1, 2013
    Great atmosphere, great premise...but turned into wasted potential. The story builds you up over the very brief hour or so of gameplay and drops you with only some of the details of the side plot, which was quite honestly the plot that pulled me in, and a fairly lackluster ending to the main plot. The graphics are enough to get by, but really leave you wanting. I honestly thought this mayGreat atmosphere, great premise...but turned into wasted potential. The story builds you up over the very brief hour or so of gameplay and drops you with only some of the details of the side plot, which was quite honestly the plot that pulled me in, and a fairly lackluster ending to the main plot. The graphics are enough to get by, but really leave you wanting. I honestly thought this may have bee built on the half life 2 engine when first seeing it. This team worked on AAA productions before forming their studio. That they would allow themselves to make something of this quality was really a let down. All in all, the buildup is exciting, but the letdown of the lost side plot and $20 price tag left a horrific taste in my mouth. Expand
  92. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is extremely tedious, predictable and the story, being the driving point of the game, was to basic and lacked creativity as it were to realistic and did not have any interesting twists or turns. This game definitely does not deserve the awards awarded to it but does have beautiful sounds and visuals which aid to create an eerie atmosphere. The story was revealed well (doesn'tThis game is extremely tedious, predictable and the story, being the driving point of the game, was to basic and lacked creativity as it were to realistic and did not have any interesting twists or turns. This game definitely does not deserve the awards awarded to it but does have beautiful sounds and visuals which aid to create an eerie atmosphere. The story was revealed well (doesn't mean it has a good story). So if you like games that describe boring love lives this is for you! But otherwise don't purchase this game it is a waste of your time. I gave this game a 0 as felt only really the story mattered as it was the driving point in the game, which I would rate a 0. Expand
  93. Mar 10, 2014
    Nice graphics and attention to detail but ridiculously short. No way was is worth 20 dollars. If it was longer it would have been a great game. Compare it to similar old games like Titanic, story out of time, which is now years old and played on machines with a fraction of the capability of modern machines, this is a poor attempt. Unless you have money to burn, don't bother.
  94. Oct 30, 2014
    Less of a game than The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and also worse. Basically a short film with no plot to speak of and no game play other than walking around, makes you wonder how this is even a game.
    10/10 - Polygon
  95. Apr 3, 2014
    I decided to give this game a shot because of the polarized reviews it received, Gone Home has universal critical acclaim but is the subject of much scorn from the gaming community.
    In Gone Home you are cast as Samantha, who has just arrived home from an overseas trip.
    Gameplay consists of walking around and hunting for objects in the environment, occasionally one of these objects will trigger an audio clip read from a diary. The rest of the story is told through text (letters, invoices ect) and left up to the player to slowly decipher.
    There is a decent amount of detail in the house, almost every draw and cupboard is usable and more often than not filled with something to read or a piece of 90's nostalgia, if you didn't grow up in that era then most of the references will be lost on you.
    I approached Gone Home with an open mind to give it a fair go, with the intention of playing it through thoroughly, but that experience was cut short when I accidentally stumbled across the endgame state, before uncovering the whole picture. Even after reading everything I came across, I couldn't form much of an interesting story, or any explanation for why the house was empty. Then the thing just ended.

I'm sure your first reaction is "you played it wrong" but I don't feel that's fair. I was punished for exploring an area of the game intently, something that should be met with reward. This is just bad game design at fault; a combination of items should be necessary to achieve the endgame state to avoid reaching it prematurely.

I don't know if a could have enjoyed gone home if things went differently, I'm a huge fan of old school adventure games and not one to rate anything lower for focusing mainly on story, but for me, this wasn't much of anything.

I give Gone Home two stars for trying something different, but overall its an overrated piece of crap.
  96. Apr 27, 2014
    Gone Home game - 20$
    Can of lighter fluid - 15$
    Metal garbage can - 25$ Watching a game that wasted 2 hours of your life burn to hell - Priceless On a side note, it did manage to create an amazing environment to lure you in. However, the praise ends there. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the game. If you did by accident, instead of playing it, have more fun by burning the game onto
    Gone Home game - 20$
    Can of lighter fluid - 15$
    Metal garbage can - 25$
    Watching a game that wasted 2 hours of your life burn to hell - Priceless

On a side note, it did manage to create an amazing environment to lure you in. However, the praise ends there. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the game. If you did by accident, instead of playing it, have more fun by burning the game onto a CD and then lighter fuild-ing the hell out of it.
  97. May 21, 2014
    Basically, you walk around a big house collecting notes that tell you your sister is gay. Should be called ''Big house full of not so subtle clues that your sister is gay simulator, also, light switches''
  98. Jul 11, 2014
    Gone Home is a game that attempts to be art, and in its endeavours forgets to be a game. Its interactivity is limited to moving around and looking at objects, making it nothing more than a walking simulator. In fact, Gone Home cannot be considered a video game in many respects. As a game, it is definitely not worth playing. Gone Home serves as proof that video games should not try to be art.
  99. Oct 12, 2014
    terrible game, screen ingame looks awesome, but the gameplay 2 hours, and ending lol

pleas no buy this scamm game, its not good, worst game i ever see it from indi
  100. Sep 16, 2014
    The game is extremely boring and linear. It's expensive as **** for what it offers, and the only people that stand by it are hipsters.

Wouldn't even recommend if someone offered it.

1. Feb 10, 2015
    Grow Home is an interesting surprise from a publisher who get used to mismanaging his own IP's. This platformer like no other has everything going for you and for a very low price tag. You can easily give it a try.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    A beautiful, emotionally engaging, artfully crafted game, completely centered around exploration and telling a mature story through interaction.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    A story that will move some and alienate others.