• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. May 2, 2015
    Guild Wars 2 lights me up everytime when I do dungeons and fractals of the mist, when I do world events like Tequatl and Triple Trouble and when I open chests.
  2. Apr 22, 2015
    Amazing game! very smooth detailed graphics. plenty of thngs to do for thext 2 years. no fees. 1 price and you are ready to go. incredible vast maps. always something to do.

cons: it might take a while to get used to. some things are a bit complex. crafting, teams lays. some interface should be simpler.
    i recommend 100% if you are a fan of Dungon Siege (x100 better)
  3. Apr 18, 2015
    I could not play the game. I bought it and it detected my GW1 account attached to my email address. I forgot the password for GW1 and apparently they do not do password reset for GW1 anymore. Created a new email address to start a brand new GW2 account and for some magical reasoning, they associated the new email address with my GW1 account... and refused to let me play. Customer serviceI could not play the game. I bought it and it detected my GW1 account attached to my email address. I forgot the password for GW1 and apparently they do not do password reset for GW1 anymore. Created a new email address to start a brand new GW2 account and for some magical reasoning, they associated the new email address with my GW1 account... and refused to let me play. Customer service could not help and offered me a full refund. Very poorly done, they should've given anyone with a GW1 account who forgot their login the option to just start a fresh GW2 account. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2015
    Yet another overhyped MMO that turned out mediocre. Basic gameplay feels really clunky here, perhaps even worse than Warhammer Online. It's missing that MMO feel of games like World of WarCraft and EvE and feels more like a kindergarden. Somewhere in the construction of this game ArenaNet missed many of the important things of the genre. Building your character, the feel of being in aYet another overhyped MMO that turned out mediocre. Basic gameplay feels really clunky here, perhaps even worse than Warhammer Online. It's missing that MMO feel of games like World of WarCraft and EvE and feels more like a kindergarden. Somewhere in the construction of this game ArenaNet missed many of the important things of the genre. Building your character, the feel of being in a world, and perhaps most importantly, HAVING FUN. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2015
    Guild Wars 2 was on a good way when it was released. The developers did many things right and all it would have taken was a little fixing to make the game the milestone of MMOs they wanted it to be. Graphics are nice. Controls are the best of any MMO, the combat is super fluid and feels great. The story is pretty dull and the way the NPCs act feels childish and unrealistic, but that is theGuild Wars 2 was on a good way when it was released. The developers did many things right and all it would have taken was a little fixing to make the game the milestone of MMOs they wanted it to be. Graphics are nice. Controls are the best of any MMO, the combat is super fluid and feels great. The story is pretty dull and the way the NPCs act feels childish and unrealistic, but that is the world of Guild Wars and the story is still better than in most other MMOs (and Twilight), so I can't really fault the game for that. The game has great world vs world battles between the servers that draw in many players. Most things were good and the ones that weren't could have easily been fixed.

Two years later, the game is a mess. Anet are cashing out, milking the players for their money. They are so desperate to make players buy stuff from the ingame store, there are even many gameplay changes to promote buying items for money. There are a lot of ways to increase your storage and they make sure you need to do just that. Where you needed 20 of a collectible item before, you now need 200, so storage requirements grow tenfold. Yes, you can get along without buying the upgrades or you can use ingame gold to buy them, but it's way too much effort and at this point not having any of the upgrades really has a negative impact on the game.

The other critical flaw is the ingame economy. Inflation for gems, the currency that lets you exchange real money for ingame money and is used to buy items from the store, often rises by as much as 10% per month. That means players who were there from the beginning and invested in gems can easily afford anything they could ever want, while new players are completely screwed, because of the increasing prices. While the upgrades from the store took a few hours to farm in the beginning, it now takes days or even weeks and it's impossible to catch up to players who have been there since the beginning - unless you spend money.

While they did all this, they completely failed to adress other important problems the game has and even when they try, it seems like they're just making it worse. World vs world for example has seen some patches to balance the servers, but all the patches just give servers with more players an even bigger advantage, which leads to players all joining a few zerg servers and abandoning servers with a lower population.
    There have been great suggestions from the community, too, but they have been ignored. Anet seems to only ever listen to the community when they see a way to increase their bottom line.

Also, griefing and cheating are allowed and almost encouraged by Anet's complete inaction. Players make secondary accounts to waste their opponents resources, spy on them or just go afk to prevent other players from joining the map. Invulnerable hackers are running across the map. Anet don't seem to give a damn.
    At the same time, game masters are complaining when players use World vs World maps for Guild vs Guild battles. Maybe they should have implemented a Guild vs Guild feature in GUILD WARS?

tldr: Game was completely screwed by Anet's greed and inability to fix the problems. Their decision making couldn't be any worse if they tried.
  6. Mar 11, 2015
    + Graphics are some of the best of any MMO, even with it being almost 3 years old now.
    + Combat and mechanics are very friendly towards new players and not overly complex (a personal preference)
    + There is a lot of diversity in the world, exploring new locations is a genuine pleasure. + World events are a huge amount of fun. Teaming up with 50+ other players to battle a boss is
    + World events are a huge amount of fun. Teaming up with 50+ other players to battle a boss is extremely satisfying, and worth the rewards.
    + WvW is a lot of fun and works very well, once you get the hang of it you can waste away many hours fighting other servers. I have not played PvP yet so I cannot comment for this right now.
    + The user interface is very intuitive and easy to navigate, much like the combat it's not overly complex, which is something I prefer over MMO's that have so many items on screen you feel lost.

- The optimisation isn't very good. With SLI I get 40% usage for each GPU. When entering city zones and large events with lots of players the frame rate drops massively. Even with a top of the range PC like mine I get 30fps in world events and areas of WvW. The game is extremely CPU intensive. However, in 'calmer' areas of the world you can easily get 60+fps the majority of the time.
    - The main story quests can seem a little bit childish. They're not particularly geared towards adults and seem a bit silly and pathetic at times, but this is only a minor complaint.
    - Whilst I like the easy to learn combat, it can result in the game becoming a little too easy as you progress into the later stages of the game. Rarely have I really felt challenged in PvE.
  7. Mar 9, 2015
    Love it or hate it, Guild Wars 2 is a new force to be reckoned with. Arguably, there hasn't been a more successful or popular game since World of Warcraft. It launched on the decision to halt development of Guild Wars and redirect that energy and resources to a new game. For me, Guild Wars was the most iconic game of my youth. I met friends that I still game with, concepts from that gameLove it or hate it, Guild Wars 2 is a new force to be reckoned with. Arguably, there hasn't been a more successful or popular game since World of Warcraft. It launched on the decision to halt development of Guild Wars and redirect that energy and resources to a new game. For me, Guild Wars was the most iconic game of my youth. I met friends that I still game with, concepts from that game color how I see other games. In short it was titanic.

So is Guild Wars 2 the same? No. But it's damn close.

Guild Wars 2 has so much going for it - the UI is relatively respectful of the real estate it occupies, the character system is acceptable, and there are amazing quality of life features that not even WoW can boast. The games combat has changed the genre for me, and I find it hard to play anything but an action combat MMO. It rendered tab targeting inert. Yet with each of these, there's an Achilles heel. Sometimes that chink in the armor is minute, other times it's problematically annoying.

Combat
    It's fluid, it's responsive but it's hindered by an annoying camera. I can't tell you how many times that camera has blinded me while i'm jumping in a puzzle or attack an enemy from a non-obvious angle. The skill system is incredibily rewarding and keeps you engaged in the fight. As with many RPG system, some classes start out better than others. I've mained a guardian since beta and it's easily my favorite character class in any RP game. Each weapon offers a different flavor, but keeps the theme of the profession consistent.

Story
    Storywriting in Guild Was has never been novel worthy. It has never been their strong suit but this game is borderline on fan fiction. The base campaign while leveling is acceptable and there are many local quests that are fun. I get this nagging feeling that many of the writers are trying to write stories for alternative lifestyles and it's just coming out really cheesy. There are some convincing characters, and there are some quite cardboard. I find the sylvari to be particularly annoying. All in all, it's acceptable writing with the occasional "WTF" moments. It gets the point across, even if it feels largely departed from the first game.

Artstyle
    This is a pretty game. The world design is world class (seriously, these people are artists) and the UI is one of the best in the genre. My only gripe is the painted style of the game can make it a bit hazy for me, particularly in the UI. However, this game really has its own unique character and is a nice departure from both hyperrealistic and stylized cartoon graphics.

Character advancement
    I love that the game is not about raiding. I really do. Yet still, I feel this game needs a more permanent character advancement system. The trait system has so much potential, but it's too divorced from the flexibility of the first game's system. They finally added the ability to move traits down and up at will, which is awesome. I'm mixed on the ability to earn traits. On one hand, it's like skill quests of old. On the other hand, it's hard work for some. Nonetheless, the upcoming progression system is going to be interesting. I enjoy having a flexible system and I hope that will continue the Guild Wars 2 spirit.

Content
    This is not a raider's paradise. That's hard for people to understand and accept at times, even myself. There are 8 dungeons, dozens of story missions, and now the instanced living world content. The game really comes alive when you have others in the open world, hacking away at a boss or something. The game is really fun and focuses on that. Yet, it can be zergy at times and the lack of standard trinity classes lends itself to group disorganization.
  8. Feb 14, 2015
    After the initial high scores were in, ArenaNet pulled a 180 and added as much grindy content as they could, including a gear threadmill.

An mmo with a no-grind policy that has more grind than most. A developer recently 'adjusted' their no-grind claim stating "it only applies to the levelling process". All other content besides levelling (which ArenaNet considers optional) is loaded with grind until it spills over.

And in their upcoming release, they added a new level cap disguised as 'Masteries' which requires players to grind away to unlock content? Sure, but it's not against their claims because technically, it's not levelling...

Steer away from this one and all future releases. It's a big bait&switch scam.
  9. Feb 9, 2015
    A Completionists' and Adventurers' paradise. It's not only the best MMO per dollar, but the most detailed and magnificent world I have ever been a part of. It's a go anywhere, do anything type of game. Level up's don't really constrict you as you can gain experience from everything and anywhere. People are friendly and it's open party system keeps people interested in helping orA Completionists' and Adventurers' paradise. It's not only the best MMO per dollar, but the most detailed and magnificent world I have ever been a part of. It's a go anywhere, do anything type of game. Level up's don't really constrict you as you can gain experience from everything and anywhere. People are friendly and it's open party system keeps people interested in helping or resurrecting strangers.

Every time I put down this game and pick it up again, I find myself asking the same question. Why the hell did I stop playing this?

Down side? People don't like weapon skills. It has a long range of character customization but it mostly always boils down to what weapon you want to use. I personally can't stand using anything but dual daggers/pistols on my rogue.

9.5/10
  10. Jan 29, 2015
    Guild Wars... the counter part of World of Warcraft.
    I have played Guild Wars 1 since Factions came out (1st expansion) and loved it till the end.
    And in the months before the release of Guild Wars 2 it became clear to me that I had to have it as well. I have played this game a lot (I have 10 characters) and loved it. Gameplay The gameplay is unique, it's the first in it's kind
    Guild Wars... the counter part of World of Warcraft.

I have played this game a lot (I have 10 characters) and loved it.

Gameplay
    The gameplay is unique, it's the first in it's kind and it's grand!

Starting off the combat alone is smooth and thrilling. Spells/skills you use look amazing and feel great!
    The dodging and running around in combat feels natural and gives you a lot of freedom. I found this feature the best of the combat system, because it makes it more dynamic and gives you the feeling you are REALLY fighting!

Then there's the environmental jumping puzzles, which are fun to do but sometimes frustrating as well.
    In some occasions jumps are nearly impossible to get due to camera clipping in low caves or delay in pressing the button and doing the action.
    Otherwise, it is a creative feature that more games could use!

You also get the drive to explore on each map you go to, every corner holds something new and exciting.
    The dynamic events are surprising, but boring after a while, because you can time them.
    So there should be more dynamic events that occur random, not on certain times.

Dungeons and mechanics are really cool as well, only the same thing happens as with the story.. the dungeon stories get boring.
    Some dungeons remain challenging (the last one for instance and Fractals of the Mists), but I think overall the dungeon balance is cool.

The looting system however is not rewarding at all. Chances that you loot something good looking (for stats are all the same) are not great. As are the tokens you get from dungeons. It's alright to get less tokens when repeating the same dungeon, but the amount of tokens you need for... a skin. Is too much...

Story
    Racial and personal stories are cool and thought through very well, although if you have so many characters like I did... you eventually start to get bored of the stories and it starts to feel like a grind.

Same goes for the dungeons, although some are hard enough to still be challenging after a while (just like Fractals).

Graphics & Audio
    The graphics are great, skills look really good and are easy to spot from one another.
    Every single map urges you to explore it, thus showing it's great beauty.
    And then there's the audio, music recorded with a real orchestra sounds amazing and brings a positive atmosphere into the game.

Skill sounds, voices, etc. are destinct and neat.

Conclusion
    I love this game for it's smooth combat system, the dynamic and beautiful world and the community!
    Although it gets boring over time to repeat the dungeons and stories over and over again, it's good to see a new MMO RPG concept rise.

I'm curious about the expansion, which looks equally great so far!
  11. Jan 10, 2015
    Guild Wars 2 is probably, as of now, the current best MMO on the market. And that's really an insight into the current trend of MMO's. The idea that an MMO is about exploration and living in a new world, reaping the benefits of what should be fun non-stagnant gameplay, has now become set in stone as a repetitive grindfest upon a treadmill that you, as the player, now thread on.

MMO's

MMO's have not changed. Concepts might be new, in some cases, and the gameplay might take on different forms, but in the end, it is always the same. You do a quest. You level up. You kill stuff. you level up. You do dungeons together and level up, collect that epic loot at the end of the tunnel.

So what's wrong with all that? Nothing, except for that the mechanics have not changed since the invention of the MMO. Guild Wars 2 was suppose to be revolutionary, instead, it only proved to be a clone of what has come prefer. A clone that comes in prettier graphics with different mechanics that are essentially unchanged, just done differently.

Today's MMO's are a bit like candy: They come in all different flavors, and the consumer likes to take a nipple at each one now and again. When they come across a flavor that they like, they'll consume it until they are full and sick of it, and then move on to the next fad.

Guild Wars 2 is quite cleverly designed in that it looks revolutionary from the outside, but once you get into it, and discover its rather bland and mundane crafting system that is really only useful at the top-tiers, or its horrendous spam loot system that spams you with useless loot, you'll see that it really is nothing different.

Sure the graphics are quite good, probably the best of any current market MMO, but graphics will only get you so far. Guild Wars 2 is the prime example of stagnant. As a player who was in the beta and pumped a lot of hours into this game, I can tell you right now that having briefly jumped back into it recently, nothing has changed. Guild Wars 2 opened to the public on its launch day and has essentially been left as it is with no drastic improvements or features other than perhaps byte-size ones. The devs have adopted a policy of no expansions for the game, while they have not ruled it out completely, the issue is moot. Guild Wars 2 looks to remain as it is for quite sometime.

Leveling up in Guild Wars 2 is also a dull affair. Some of the top weapons are not that great, crafting, as I said earlier, is really beneficial if you pump a load of hours into it. Low-tier and mid-tier crafting is useless other than getting your skills up. *yawn*

Character progression is subtle and rather bland. You really do not feel that the extra 3% bonus you'll get from progression will help you, and it is incredibly boring when most of your level up is done in incredibly small increments.

But the worse offender... and my main pet hate of Guild Wars 2, and any MMO for that matter, is the quests. O god the quests! The Hello Kitty Quests!

Guild Wars 2 perhaps has the most non-offensive yet offensive quests imaginable. Did I create a Necromancer in this game just to go around and throw snowballs at unsupervised kids? Why do I have to be turned into a 'cat' and then to subsequently 'pee' on bushes to stir rabbits from them... Why do I have to help the farmer with catching her piglets? Yes... Anyone who has played MMO's knows the story here, nothing new...

But Guild Wars 2 just took it to a whole new level. Lets not get into the rather mundane personal story quest that perhaps wins the award for the most anti-climatic end ever in a story. The Guild Wars 2 quests drove me mad. It's as if their target audience was that of a twelve year old girl who sits around and watches the Disney channel all day. That's the sort of level you can expect here. Sure, I'm not asking for Guild Wars 2 to contain a more mature content or a darker atmosphere (o wait, I am!) but I would have liked a lot less of the rather stupidly mundane quests. Even the first GW game was less annoying than this.

Honestly, despite the fact that I said GW2 is the best mmo on the market, there are a few contenders. Age of Conan is for one a rather enjoyable affair. GW2 just happens to be the big elephant in the room that dwarfs all the others, and it is a damn shame that it's not as revolutionary as it could be, and all it is, is a rather mundane bland adventure into a fantasy land.
  12. Dec 31, 2014
    Probably the best MMO available and fits a wide range of audience. Anyone can pick it up and be successful at the casual level yet there is enough intricacy that the hardcore crowd can do their customary min/maxing. They nice thing about this MMO is it receives a lot of love from its developer. World events are frequent and the stories are always moving along to keep people interested inProbably the best MMO available and fits a wide range of audience. Anyone can pick it up and be successful at the casual level yet there is enough intricacy that the hardcore crowd can do their customary min/maxing. They nice thing about this MMO is it receives a lot of love from its developer. World events are frequent and the stories are always moving along to keep people interested in raids and bosses. The bad news is that the game is easy... then again, all MMO's have devolve to this problem since WoW became successful and I cannot fault the developers for wanting to make enough money to keep their jobs. There are some nice features in this game that others lack, most notably, exploration is rewarded and it really is fun to run into random puzzles in the world and try to figure them out. Some of those jumping puzzles are very memorable and well placed. In fact, if you are not alert or reading a guide, you can miss them altogether which is really cool when you find them on your own. The game has your standard crafting professions as well as class trees that are fairly well balanced allowing for many viable builds. PvP is ok and world PvP is somewhat fun but I was never a PvP guy so I didnt play as much of it. I personally enjoy exploring new areas and getting the best gear within reason (kind of like trophies for me). The nice thing about Guild Wars 2 is that everyone has means to get some of the best weapons in the game. You can do it the old fashion way of raiding or your can earn it in other ways such as PvP or crafting or just through in game wealth. I like the mini-instances in the game but the one thing that I dont like is itemization. Loot in the game just feels useless and most items only have value because they are torn down via crafting. I suppose there is no way around this in an MMO (or even 1 player games) and it has been a gripe of mine since my early gaming days. Anyway, its a great MMO. No subscription fees to worry about and most anything can be bought with in game currency and time. You can buy some cosmetic upgrades or more storage slots but honestly, there is no reason to do so. I would recommend playing the game normally and saving up for the upgrades since there is nothing else worth spending in-game money on anyway. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is way too grindy.

The gameplay mechanics are incompatible with the control scheme. A gamepad would have worked better than the keyboard/mouse setup.

Having said that, an RPG should never try to be a platform game. Especially a PC RPG. That's why they're RPGs.

The targetting system is unstable and inaccurate.

The camera is in constant conflict with the movement controls.
  14. Dec 10, 2014
    The game worth its price tag and even more so when its on sale. It has altough many problems and i think it would have been better if it went for something like DLC content updates. But overall if its not worth 30$ ( since its on sale like 50% of the time ) then i dont know what is.
  15. Dec 9, 2014
    I'm a 2+ year veteran of this game and have been playing since launch. I have 3000+ hours logged on all my characters combined. This is hands down the best MMO out there. The graphics are fantastic. The character models and animations are amazing. The combat is the best combat out of any MMO that I've ever played, and I've never had as much fun leveling a character in other games as I haveI'm a 2+ year veteran of this game and have been playing since launch. I have 3000+ hours logged on all my characters combined. This is hands down the best MMO out there. The graphics are fantastic. The character models and animations are amazing. The combat is the best combat out of any MMO that I've ever played, and I've never had as much fun leveling a character in other games as I have in this one

On the other hand, the game hasn't changed much since launch. The developers are SLOW at releasing patches. In the PvE department, Arenanet is experimenting with their Living Story which is about 30-60 minutes of new content released every 2 weeks followed by an endless grind for cosmetic gear. There is no end game. The hardest dungeon in the game is called Fractals, and it's incredibly easy even on the hardest difficulty. To reach to the hardest difficulty you need to run this dungeon 50 times, each time advancing in a difficulty tier. Furthermore, during the later levels you receive an irremovable debuff that will just kill you until you have the right gear. To obtain the right gear you complete Fractals over and over and over again for an item that will drop once per run per day in addition to crafting armors and weapons with dozens of materials that, again, you can only create once per day. It's a long and tedious grind that becomes stale very quickly.

The world bosses, while impressive looking, are stationary structures (yes they are actually classified as structures and not creatures) that occasionally fling attacks at you. For the majority of the world bosses, players gather at its feet and attack its toes until it dies and don't even get me started on the game's primary antagonist. Everything is just disappointing.

World vs World vs World (or WvW) is a mode that pits 3 different servers together for control of various structures in 5 different and huge maps. At first it was amazing. The giant battles that were waged at launch were simply spectacular, if not rough on my PC. However there are glaring balance issues in this mode from the different types of food you can eat which grant you obscene buffs that would just break the game. Furthermore as a competitive PvP player, I did not find much competition. There were instances where I would face off against 10+ people by myself and would end up victorious. Of course I can't completely fault Arenanet for the prowess, or lack thereof, of the players of its game. But quite frankly the game mode doesn't promote skill progression as much as it does reliance on gear and food.

PvP is the game mode which I enjoy and play the most. One of GW2 PvP's biggest strengths is the even playing field. There is no gear or level advantage. When you enter the PvP area you are immediately boosted to max level and have all your abilities unlocked. You are also given the same equipment as everyone else. Then it's all a matter of entering an arena and brawling. However like I said earlier, Arenanet is incredibly slow at releasing patches. This is very problematic when it comes to balance. For example, at a certain point in time Arenanet overbuffed the Warrior class and did not tone it down for over a year. Warriors dominated the entire PvP scene and simply put it was not fun to play (I do not play a Warrior). Balance patches come every 6 months and often aren't great though the current metagame is quite good.

There is only one game mode and quite frankly it's extremely stale 2+ years in. The devs have promised new things and, once again, are extremely slow at delivering. New content is being worked on they said over a year ago. A big problem with this single game mode is that Arenanet has balanced the classes in accordance to this game mode. That means if and when new game modes are released, there will be glaring balance issues. For example the current and only game mode is conquest which focuses on capturing and holding points. The Thief, which is an assassin type class, have a build that's focused on stealth. It's nearly unkillable and deals a lot of damage but isn't commonly used because while in stealth you cannot capture or prevent the capture of a point. If something like deathmatch is introduced, these once useless builds will now be dominating and further toss balance into disarray. And we do not want this because of the speed in which Arenanet releases patches.

The PvP population is extremely tiny relative to other competitive games. There are a few community organized tournaments every week/month and the same teams win every time simply because there is no competition. Part of that I attribute to the toxicity of the community. While nothing compared to other communities like DotA or LoL, players in this game just can't seem to get along much less form a team with one another.

I've run out of room so I'll just say that despite my disappointment for the potential of the game and the ineptitude of the devs, I still think it's the best MMO out there. Buy it now
  16. Dec 9, 2014
    Good graphics, but scenic places have little purposes.
    Good game play, since you get to control the attacks.
    Bosses and interactions with players are good. Most quests are boring, despite their idea of a dynamic world where your contribution affects the game. Storyline is horrible, and the main quests is extremely boring. Many pets, but most are disinteresting. Big, beautiful world,
    Good graphics, but scenic places have little purposes.
    Good game play, since you get to control the attacks.
    Bosses and interactions with players are good.
    Storyline is horrible, and the main quests is extremely boring.
    Many pets, but most are disinteresting.
    Big, beautiful world, but you'll spend too much time wasted exploring.
    Extremely difficult to navigate, travel. I've never seen anything like this, not even in the first Warcraft.
    Difficult to get creative in crafting.
  17. Dec 6, 2014
    GW2 is an acceptable MMO with innovative features, including auto quest pop-ups, a dynamic world, and world vs world pvp. Also, there is no subscription fee. However, this game suffers from a few unfortunate problems. My breakdown is as follows:

1. Graphics: 8/10 - detailed with great art style 2. Gameplay: 3/10 - large world to explore, but after a couple of hours of play, game

1. Graphics: 8/10 - detailed with great art style
    2. Gameplay: 3/10 - large world to explore, but after a couple of hours of play, game becomes stale - new skills aren't innovative or satisfying, and becomes a grind
    3. Progression: 2/10 - not challenging at all, gear is also unappealing
    4. Story: 5/10 - average story

Overall, average game.
  18. Dec 2, 2014
    After about 2 years, this is my second review of this game, since I stopped playing GW2 for over a year and have started playing again recently. My score remains the same though, and here is why.

First off, regarding the negative reviews here - people are entitled to their opinion, and I would never criticize anyone for not liking this MMO because this game does not cater to everyone's tastes (but what game does, anyway...). But I would like to address a few points that were made:

- Not enough content: This often comes from players who have spent many hundred hours, some even over 1000 hours in the game. I would challenge anyone playing any game for such an extended period and still find it challenging, interesting, refreshing... there comes a point at which you will be finished with a game, and clearly some people have reached that point. I doubt they would have kept playing for this long if they hated it so much?

I'm maybe not your typical MMO player as I do tend to take things slowly, but just for comparison, I've played GW2 in total for around 450 hours now. I have 2 characters on lvl 80 plus some alts around lvl 55, and my main has just around 58% map completion. My other characters are hovering around the 25% mark. I know for myself that I will be striving for map completion on my main, but it's gonna take me a long time, and the one thing I can never complain about is lack of content. I do have a RL and I play a lot of other games, and if anything GW2 has too much content for me! I feel I'll never be able to see it all.

- Poor customer support: Some complaints were made about the lack of a phone number. Most gaming companies don't provide phone support, and for good reason, as it's often much easier to get customers to provide proper details in a written support ticket. ArenaNet do provide individual customer support, it's right there in their support section with an online ticket submit form. Their replies are prompt, professional and reasonable - we have had a support request which was dealt with in a more than satisfactory manner. I'm sure this was not just a lucky exception.

- GemStore: Yes ArenaNet promote spending money on the game. And yes, I have done so - I've bought bank slots, a character slot and a few other things I did not REALLY need. But, and it's a HUGE but - there is no subscription charge. Compared to other MMOs of equal quality, GW2 still works out much cheaper for me, without the choke of a subscription around my neck. Anyone expecting free content updates forever either doesn't respect the right of developers to gain an income for their hard work, or has no idea about financial realities in the business world.

I won't repeat what I wrote in my first review, because none of my old opinions have changed much. But I have to say that if anything, the game has become even better and richer since back then. The new meta-servers did introduce some lag issues but more recently, I have not encountered any lag any more. Whatever the cause was, it has been worked on. The meta-servers did enrich gameplay though, as you always will find people playing near you, and the game mechanics are such that this enhances your experience massively. You are encouraged to help each other all the time, and this leads to a very pleasant user community with practically zero toxicity - compare that to LoL if you wish!

TL;DR: After over 2 years and a long break, I'm still having a ton of fun in GW2 and I know I will enjoy this game for a long time to come. It's a cracker, and quite unique in the MMO market due to some revolutionary gameplay concepts. It may not appeal to everybody, but its production values and gorgeous scenery and art direction are undeniably there and speak for themselves.
  19. Nov 27, 2014
    Game Support is **** I buy the game download it. First time to log in. "Account has been suspended" Like WTF? Try to contact support but guess what.. no telephone number. This company is **** and this game is **** DO NOT BUY
  20. Nov 24, 2014
    Quick, fast-paced and semi-fun. GW2 was a slight change of pace for the MMO scene. In honesty however, it couldn't manage to find myself spending much time with this game. Despite its relevant fun and semi interest, it quickly dried up and just became another MMO incapable of maintaining a flailing interest. Playable, not replayable.
  21. Nov 24, 2014
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives: 1) good graphics 2) fluid combat. 3) events are fun 4) plenty of end game content 5) up front cost then f2p...and f2p to the extent that all the people who poor massive amounts of money into the game don't have a massive advantage over those that don't. 6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives:

1) good graphics

2) fluid combat.

3) events are fun

4) plenty of end game content

6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my expansions they are just provided (though the expansions should not be compared to WoW).

negatives:

1) it is an MMO and it doesn't shy away from grinding, but in ways this is inherent to all MMO's

2) the story is blah. though i should say the personal story/main story in blah. the living/seasons story is much better though still not extraordinary, i have to remind myself though that this is an MMO.
  22. Nov 15, 2014
    I have a little over 1000 hours into GW2 and I really enjoy it.
    The only real complaint I have is with the devs.
    The game just isn't growing the way it really should. They've added 2, maybe 3, new PvE areas and a new World vs World vs World area since release. They've added a lot of cosmetic items and items to craft, but I wouldn't call that something that all players could enjoy.
    I have a little over 1000 hours into GW2 and I really enjoy it.
    The only real complaint I have is with the devs.
    The game just isn't growing the way it really should.
    Wheres the new dungeons, the new classes, the new PvP maps??
    The combat for PvP is great, its mostly based on your timing so its fairly rewarding and doesn't stale too easily...Except you play the same handful of maps.
    PvE combat isn't too good, the first few hundred hours are exciting, but then the flare goes away and it becomes a bit boring. You run dungeons for gold, but there is little to no challenge anymore. Open world content is equally easy. There are ways to challenge yourself, like soloing a dungeon , but its not really supported. No achievements from it, no loot bonus, much slower than a full group which is easy to find.

Given the cost, I would encourage everyone to atleast try GW2. The cheaper heroic version is good enough. the extra $20 for the deluxe edition has very little impact on your gameplay.
  23. Nov 7, 2014
    Stealth implementation in this game is bad. It’s not about thief, or mesmer or any class, but about stealth. I played all classes, you can try and see for yourself too. We won’t agree ever on everything, some people just like it as it is, and unless you played other games too, and have somehting to compare, can really understand how fun can be, when your opponent can counter whatever youStealth implementation in this game is bad. It’s not about thief, or mesmer or any class, but about stealth. I played all classes, you can try and see for yourself too. We won’t agree ever on everything, some people just like it as it is, and unless you played other games too, and have somehting to compare, can really understand how fun can be, when your opponent can counter whatever you do.
    Can someone who uses stealth be killed, defeated? Sure. You need to learn what to do and what not, but that’s true always.
    Can any class and build defeat any class and build? Certainly will be more difficult to do it on some or next to impossible on other (even if network latency, lag, player skill and so on is ignored).
    Then what’s wrong with stealth? “Learn and adapt, and stop crying” – true… just do that, but some will end with a bitter taste after these fights, and no fun at all. That’s the problem – games meant to be fun. For some, it is, no matter what, they like it. Let those who don’t like to tell you why we lose players…
    I despise stealth and I feel shame, guilt and I know I almost cheated, whenever on my thief I decide to use stealth, to get away from a fight that vent badly, or just recover and try again. Since that can be done endlessly, most of the time, unless you are not skilled enough. I know that rarely, if ever, my opponent enjoyed that fight. It all comes down to your personality: if you can be proud and taunt after such fights, then stealth is for you. That’s you, have fun. Play with those who feel like this.
    The others will post things like the OP, will play other games, or like me, will prefer to play on other class, and ignore thieves – I fight back if attacked, but don’t care to chase them and don’t care to kill them – they are just like other negatives in this game, such as lag when occurs – you have to endure these and find something else to do. Can stealth be changed, so it’s use or playing against won’t “kill” the fun in some of us? Can everything be improved? Can we listen to each other and try to find solutions together? I hope so. Very much.
  24. Nov 6, 2014
    Amazing game. Outstanding game. Just a shame that PvP is trash and WvW gets boring after about a month. Dungeons are no challenge and too easy to farm. Gear is way too easy to obtain (yes including legendary). After level 80 the game slows down and creating another character is the most boring thing on the face of the earth. Not to mention the story is a big big let down towards the endAmazing game. Outstanding game. Just a shame that PvP is trash and WvW gets boring after about a month. Dungeons are no challenge and too easy to farm. Gear is way too easy to obtain (yes including legendary). After level 80 the game slows down and creating another character is the most boring thing on the face of the earth. Not to mention the story is a big big let down towards the end with small rewards and underwhelming plot. The living story was supposed to bring it back to life but that failed too and just felt like an extremely dragging way to coax players back which didn't work as I know my old guild has gone from 300 members to around 190 mid living story and gone to Archeage or a different MMO. It really is a let down and I expected to play it for more than I did.800-900 hours so not just a newbie with no experience. In comparison I have played Archeage for 375 hours since head start, so that is nearly half the game play in a quarter of the time and I haven't even started to craft, farm or gear up correctly. 110% a good game for the first character and first 500-600 hours but after that you're best of setting it down in a corner to let it gather dust.

P.s. The boss fights are **** terrible and the only good part about this game that I couldn't fault it the art style and the fact that it isn't pay to play.
  25. Oct 15, 2014
    For the record my rating is -- i like (10) or i don't like (0), this 0-10 system is a joke, what exactly is a 5? Not sure if i like or not? I'm sorry? Seriously, anyway.

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago. This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago.

This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with Hardcore players who keep it active by playing it a good amount of hours, and actually spend money on the Gem Store to support the game.

To make things worse Anet sold some of their servers causing even more lag than already existed, having even 10 seconds of lags sometimes, which doesn't happen on any other game, meaning it's this game's servers.

To make things worse, people that Stream the game have these lags as well, making the game look like a joke to outsiders and potentially future buyers.
  26. Sep 27, 2014
    Probably the most creative mmorpg at the moment.It's obvious that GW2 is tried to make a different mmorpg than the others.Combat system ,levelling system(you can level up by just crafting),events,story,graphics,exploring,PVE,dynamic content and No subscribtion everything is just great and well prepared.
  27. Sep 24, 2014
    Better than Archepay, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    Better than Archepay, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    I've been purchasing every major MMO release this year and have left extremely disappointed each time. I would log in, see "kill X and Y", do the standard number mashing combat that you find in every MMO, and end up unsubscribing. I did try to give these games my all and see if I could break past the tedium, but I could not.

#GW2masterrace
  28. Sep 19, 2014
    Most reviews here are 2 years old.

Now, two years later, the game is exactly the same as it was back then. NO new maps, NO new dungeons, NO new professions/weapons or skills. During two 'feature packs', the game has undergone significant changes to the leveling process, mainly trait acquisition and level progression. There has been an uproar in the community ever since, and nothing
    Most reviews here are 2 years old.

During two 'feature packs', the game has undergone significant changes to the leveling process, mainly trait acquisition and level progression. There has been an uproar in the community ever since, and nothing was done about it.

Granted, this game was nice at first. But even then, being a MMO player, I've seen the flaws many haven't: it had lots of bugs, problems with build diversity, problems with PVP (only ONE mode and four maps, even after two years?!).

Now, however, the game is worthless. With bad sound engineering, clunky mechanics (ever tried using a cannon or trebuchet?) and poorly-designed PVE, this game has gone nowhere. I am sorry, but I truly believe this overhyped game doesn't deserve more than a 0 right now.
  29. Sep 17, 2014
    Probably the best fantasy MMORPG at the moment. Very robust, well designed and bug free. Full of events and dynamic content. Frequent free content expansions. Great community. Lots and lots of end game content.

I miss being able to select skills freely. The system where you have a fixed set of skills depending on what weapon you wield is boring imho. But you have other ways to create a "build", and even if the game is designed to suit casual players, it is also possible to spend a lot of time perfecting your gear, skills and strategy if you want.

The economy is just like any standard MMO. It is mostly NPC based, and crafting is pretty useless. All good gear comes from grinding boss mobs, dungeons, events or the mystic forge.

A really good feature for casual players is the level equalization. The level difference between you and your friends does not matter very much. You can still play together and get roughly the same challenge and rewards fitting your respective levels.
  30. Sep 13, 2014
    So at release I would have given that game a 8/10 - 9/10, but today I can give it no more than 4/10.

Why is that, you may ask? On one hand several bugs are still in the game after 2 years. But thats not the problem. The Problem is the content. PVE: As for normal dungeons there is ONE new path in one dungeon and fractals. Fractals have been added as a vicious grind circle

Why is that, you may ask?

The Problem is the content.

PVE:

As for normal dungeons there is ONE new path in one dungeon and fractals.
    Fractals have been added as a vicious grind circle were you repeat the same instances over and over again on different difficultiy levels in order to get items to play the same instance on a higher "difficulty" level.
    The other thing you can do in endgame is either casually strolling around or farming for your "endgame gear", because the old ingame gear was pretty easy to get (what they promised), they added a new time-gated money grind tier of gear in order to keep ppl playing.
    But that new tier doesnt have to do anything with skill or archieving something, it is just a time-gated money grind. Money grind cause you cant even farm specific items, so you have to farm money in order to buy what you need.
    Overall the game is driving into the direction of a very repetitve asia grinder (especially since china release)
    Since the last feature patch now a big button is placed inside the tradingpost (the gw2 form of an auction house) it states "Need some Gold?", and is a concrete statement:
    "You want ingame money?
    Buy it from us!"

The last Feature Patch even ruined the part of the game that distinguished it from every other one in the best way: The leveling. Now its time-gated and annoying as well.

PVP:
    Has many issues, balance, 4vs5 match-ups just to name a few.

2 Maps have been added one removed (cause they couldnt balance it).
    One of the added maps is even more unbalanced than the one that got removed and is thus being hated by a majority of the forum community (Id say 70-80%).
    Hated that much that some ppl even willingly go AFK in rated queues, accepting defeat, just in order not to play on it. (leaderboards are not trustworthy anyway, thats quite another topic)

Anets response on this is silence, okay when one of the "top players" asked them about it on their overhyped tournament of legends(which's final was watched live by only 1500 ppl)
    they stated that forum community wouldnt at all represent player community, which might be true, but I ask myself how they know that if they didnt make a ingame poll about it.

Due to the lack of love for PvP , PvP has become pretty much dead, even though a lot of ppl got attracted to it first, especially because of the greatness of GW1 in that regard.

My advice , if you want a good game , buy Guild Wars 1 (all 4 parts), you cant jump there but in almost every other aspect it is superior.
  31. Sep 12, 2014
    Awesome MMO with Gorgeous art work worth every cent, the only thing that bother's me about the game is lack of pvp content and laggy World vs World. The content they add is always just dungeons which is a bore for me i'm a PvP fan all the way. They mix up the way you quest which is nice instead of pick up here return here its just go to area kill and completed.The fighting mechanics areAwesome MMO with Gorgeous art work worth every cent, the only thing that bother's me about the game is lack of pvp content and laggy World vs World. The content they add is always just dungeons which is a bore for me i'm a PvP fan all the way. They mix up the way you quest which is nice instead of pick up here return here its just go to area kill and completed.The fighting mechanics are the best of any MMO I have played and I have played a lot unlike wow you don't fall asleep doing low lvl dungeons. The cash shop is also pretty sweet you can buy everything with in game gold so you dont half to waste a penny if you love the game and play enough.

Worth $50
  32. Sep 11, 2014
    I am changing my original score for an up to date score. I have put in over 1500 hours into this game which is the most time I have ever invested in a mmorpg so I think GW2 deserves a really really good score.
    Some Good Points
    Some Good Points
    Beautiful graphics Good character creation, the ability to change your character hairstyles and other cosmetic stuff can be bought from cash shop which is ok by me.

Interesting and alive world with funny NPC's having funny conversations.
    Achievements are fun and rewarding.

Lovely and feminine armours. Being able to dye my armours is such a bonus and the new system of once you buy an armour that skin is unlocked for all your characters is really fantastic! BEST THING EVER!! Of course you have to buy the transmutation token things to change your skins but again I can live with that!
    Armours are made from different fabrics which show colours differently when they are dyed. Such great attention to detail from the artists in this game. There are hundreds of dyes to unlock and they are cheap and easy to obtain and are unlocked account wide. Each dye looks slightly different based on what material your armour is made from. It gives you the opportunity for a lot of experimenting with colours and fabrics and each armour can look so different depending on the colours you use. I have never seen an mmo use this system- it is fantastic!!!

The open world events are a great way to level up collect loot. Your character feels really powerful when you are levelling, I love that and I love some of the fun skills you have with each class. Like electricity for mage, bombs for engineer, cutie pie pets for ranger, Mesmers and their mirror images and the love hearts and pink effects everywhere, a girl gamers paradise!

You are not limited by your level in open world questing. I like the way the achievements work and the chests of reward everything so often.
    Crafting is nice and easy and levels well. It’s great to craft stuff to gear up my own character with and sell too.

Map Exploration is a lot of fun with events and loot. Anet seems to be on the ball with updates and improvements, new armours and weapon skins.

The Not So Good

The story in this game is pretty meh, not much excitement level. For each character I created I played the story up to about level 60 just for the odd chest key you sometimes get as a reward. I never got the chance to finish my personal story as for the very last story you need a well trained and equipped group. We tried one night and wiped out so badly, my husband and I decided to watch the ending on YouTube. I'm not sure having a storyline that you can play solo all the way to 80 and then forcing you into a group suddenly is the way to go, at least not for me and my tastes.

The Bad

For me this would be the dungeons. As you level you get a series of invitations to go and do various story dungeons. The first arrives just before level 40 I believe. However if you make the mistake to pop along and join a dungeon using the dungeon finder you might find yourself at the mercy of dungeon elitists who will either see you there and leave the group, kick you out or politely tell you that the dungeons really are too difficult for low levels and to wait until you are level 80 and geared in exotic stuff. I actually did wait and ended up doing many dungeons with many types of players and some of whom were much lower level than 80 to find that yes, groups with lower level players would wipe and very often too. It would be disheartening and a struggle and unnecessarily stressful. It certainly makes me wonder why the dungeons are opened to low levels at all when they are exceedingly way too hard for all but the most experienced. Of course in my time learning the dungeons (a steep learning curve it is too for someone with mostly PVE background) I met many nasty, impatient, rude people who just wanted to rush through the content, skipping mobs and leaving the less experienced to die and respawn over and over or to be kicked out by other group members. Of course there are some SAINTS doing those dungeons who you might be lucky enough to get teamed with, but for every one of those there of plenty of the other type. Behaviour of players is obviously not strictly monitored or policed and you can really tell this in the course of a month of doing dungeons every day.

So for the more genteel, soft of heart or just light hearted players out there I would recommend giving that aspect of GW2 a miss.

Its got so much going for it though I would say buy this game and play it and enjoy the parts that make you happy. That's what I do.

(Anet I removed 1 point from your perfect score as the abuse and nastiness going on in the dungeons is really unpleasant)
  33. Sep 9, 2014
    I love MMORPGs and especially PVP. However after leveling several characters to max level, and trying the PVP on this game...I cannot say I had one second of fun at all. It was completely boring. There was no sense of accomplishment. How this game is rated over a 3 is completely baffling. I simply cannot name one redeeming value.
  34. Sep 1, 2014
    this is the best mmorpg game i have ever played and it does not make it worse that you just have to pay for it once and never again. if you like mmorpg games you will probably like this one! it's by no means perfect but way better than anything else!
  35. Aug 31, 2014
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.
    Every class has been balanced damage/healing/tanking so that it can fill any role. Healing is grossly underpowered and DPS is king. Stuns and snares override any ability to fight and it becomes who can cc the best. World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.

World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it has a distinct advantage over Side B. If you are on a side that is losing, people become discouraged and log out making it almost impossible for the losing side to take control again. There are always stories of the small group that turns the tide with strategy, but, these events are relatively uncommon.

Scenario PVP is brutal, fighting is often over in a matter of a few seconds, usually a combination of cc and deathblow.

PVE is bland and droll, amusing at first, boring on repeat. Dungeons are the same.

Decent gear is easily obtained, legendary gear gives trivial advantages and just looks neat.

I loved Warhammer Online before they ruined it with horrible patches. This game is not recommended for a PVP player.
  36. Aug 16, 2014
    This game can't even be called Guild Wars, forget the second class awesomeness, this game comes with TONS of limitations for example you only have that spells for that weapon and you cannot change them, you can only change 3 or 4 spells.
    Also it comes with no late game which is really bad for a mmo.
  37. Aug 15, 2014
    Such a beautiful wonderful game. really funny and interesting concept. but there is something awful about this game (which cause me rage quit) its PvP. Pvp is as stupid as **** its not funny or entertaining. PvP in guild wars 2 is pain the ass. and i just left gw2 behind because this pvp. otherwise what a awesome game. thank you arenanet. i hope i can see guild wars 3 in the future.
  38. Aug 10, 2014
    First of, this game has an amazing potential with it's innovative action-based combat system and awesome PvE. From the moment you create your character you get to know the main mechanics of the game and of your class. The classes give you big variety and a lot to choose from.
    From level 1 to 80 the game is amazing, lots of exploration, a nice way of telling you the plot and making your character progress through that plot. The exp rate is high making it a smooth expirience and not focusing a lot on repetitive grinding quests. The new dynamic events are pretty good however could be better. You can easily reach lvl cap (80) in about a month and from that moment on the game just goes downhill.
    After you hit lvl cap the game turns into a gigantic grind fest, with everything in the game consisting of mindlessly zerging around certain zones and that's it. The PvE after reaching lvl 80 is all that, there is no character progression everything you do is grind grind and grind for a hope of better skins, you have no objectives nor rewards for doing better or poorly at certain situations. There are a few dungeons (about 5) in the entire game, which are pretty decent but that get pretty repetitive and boring after a while with no enemy mechanics other than: "Dodge or Die/Get Knocked Back into a Hole".
    The game population has been decreasing a LOT with the bad decisions and back feedback of the devs that seem to let everyone confused. Dubious the development paths being taken day after day, the developers seem to ignore most of the requests on the forums and just do their own thing.
    The PVP and WvW is a mess (even tho it's still probably the best PvP MMORPG game), with certain classes just being dominant in every aspect and other classes just being completly irrelevant since day 1 of this game.
    The lack of patches to focus on balancing classes just lead to classes such as Warrior being dominant both in PvE and PvP with no one to ever representing any kind of challenge to them and other classes (eg Ranger) being so weak that it doesn't justify having any of them in any part of the game.
    The lack of holy trinity (Healer, Tank, DPSer) instead of leading to everyone feel useful just leads to everyone feeling useless and easily replacable and just leads to not justifying any build other than full-DPS.
    Overall the game represents no challenge at any point, badly balanced (leading to a bad WvW / sPvP expirience), with little to no-content being added and dubious development paths being taken over and over again.
    If you are looking for maybe a month or so of content, go ahead, otherwise you will be very quickly hit in the face by boring and monotonous events.
  39. Aug 5, 2014
    Awesome game, everything is great until you will do everything. Endgame almost isn't existing. Stopped playing this regularly year ago after 1500 hours and completing all my tasks - get nice looking armor, legendary weapon and all achievements from pve. PvP as for me is boring, only edge of the mists give some fun but how long you can do one and the same thing over and over. There was noAwesome game, everything is great until you will do everything. Endgame almost isn't existing. Stopped playing this regularly year ago after 1500 hours and completing all my tasks - get nice looking armor, legendary weapon and all achievements from pve. PvP as for me is boring, only edge of the mists give some fun but how long you can do one and the same thing over and over. There was no new content, maps and all that could force me to play more this game for long time. Lately Arena Net started to release updates regularly with more interesting story and permanent content to pve what brought me back to game. To play this you only need to pay for game and believe me, this is worth it. No subscription, not using gem shop will not make you looser. Just some skins and other things that no one really needs. There is a lot of content to do. If you care about content to price value go ahead and play this. As new player you will be overwhelmed by content Expand
  40. Jul 30, 2014
    I have probably wasted WAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME (and i mean waaaaaaaay!!!) into this game but i've been ignorant enough to ignore many of the glaring issues for sooo long (as have maaaany others)

what SUXX! about gw2 dungeons are terrible! - barely any challenge - most boss fights can be abused (e.g. standing max range and autohitting so the boss will NEVER hit you) Apex predator

what SUXX! about gw2

Apex predator builds/classes - PVE in this game is legitly ONLY for warriors as they can do everything the best - speedrunners go with 5 warriors with copycat builds. Conditions (one of the damage mechanics) are worthless in PVE becuase there is a very small max cap of condis a boss can have on him at any point in time which makes more than 1 condi class instantly worthless (besides conditions being generally inferior to warrior damage) (did i mention this game has open world mass events with 50+ players humping 1 boss? yea pretty much 10 useless condi players who just stand there afk)

SOLO STORY MMO CONTENT CREATION - seriously Arenanet is not adding any MMO content (like more group instances or anything multiplayer really..) but is actually adding SINGLEPLAYER STORY CONTENT?? WAT? it's a MMO?

MASSIVE BUGS THAT STILL EXIST AFTER 2 YEARS!!!!! In explicit there is a bug that will cause you to get stuck in place unless you use an emote - this happens randomly when removing conditions or using a "stunbreaker" (this happens in pvp and bossfights)

ANOTHER MASSIVE BUG THAT IS STILL HERE 2 YEARS AFTER RELEASE! Basically the netcode for gw2 isnt very good and if you use any skill that causes knockback or pushback on your opponent there is a pretty good chance that the visible character model of your opponent will just randomly teleport around to its initial location even though the actual HITBOX of the player has been knocked back - this is ESPECIALLY annoying as it can happen right at the time when you kill somebody causing the opponents "downed " body (which you need to "stomp" to finish him off) to be shown somewhere else than the hitbox making the downed player UNSTOMPABLE!

2 YEARS of nothing but tooltip fixes - literally if you look up the patchnotes for the past 2 years its nothing but "added skillfact in description"

NO ENDGAME (literally nothing no raids NOTHING) - there is actually a "funny" 60 minute video of a guy from death and taxes standing around afk with glowing armor titled "Gw2 endgame" . The horrible thing is that this pretty much sums up gw2 endgame.

the WORST most random skillless pvp map ever created that has to this day not been removed from ranked pvp even though the official forums have insane long threads of people asking to remove this map from ranked (just search Skyhammer on gw2 forum you will understand why..)

WORST pvp balance i have ever seen (and i have seen S4 Restodruids!) Pretty much the entire pvp is knowing what builds/classes you autowin on your build/class. Especially necro vs engineer matchup is so broken that an extremely low tier necro player can still beat top engineer players without ANY effort. Also roamer thieves can perma evade (which actually allows them to be TANKS!) + have the highest mobility in the game + highest burst

overall just the WORST development/balancing team i have ever seen. Honestly i can hardly think of any decision the developers have made in the past 2 years that wasnt extremely dumb.(Let me give an example - they actually had a "PvP community coordinator" (of course a woman) who not only didnt play pvp (she was rank 18 after 1 year - as comparison its possible to get rank 10 after 1 day of playing only pvp) and who claimed on the forums that "the forums dont represent the opinion of pvpers - so basically she wasnt playing pvp and interacting with players nor was she taking anything serious that was said on the official forums so what good was this "PvP community coordinator"? i really dont know but thats the kind of people Arenanet keeps employed for their game.

Overall its really just 2 years of frustration and waiting for fixes/changes that still arent in the game. (Arenanets comment: soon! - apparently soon = 2+++ years )

I would give the game 2 points because the leveling experience was nice... BUT I CANT! THEY FIXED LEVELING! turned it into a horrible horrible grind having to farm every damn trait/skill in the game. This change was made when the game was released in asia (*cough asia grinder*) but the complete amount of its **** was also introduced to NA and EU servers.
  41. Jul 30, 2014
    This mmo like many others was a gem in its beginnings and overtime depreciated into something less. Even so for a buy once play forever game the story and exploration alone are worth it even if most the zones are rectangles.

Like the original guild wars progressing through the story is the high point of the game; with exploration as a cherry on top. Like the original guild wars the end game is limited. The original guild wars definitely had worthy end game content. The end game in guild wars 2 is an abomination of desolation. It wasn't always that way but that is what it evolved into.

Where guild wars 2 diverted from the original guild wars formula was the introduction of purple text gear. This changed the game from one where you mixed and matched your wardrobe of orange text gear gained from crafting, dungeons, and events with your skill sets on your character class to tailor stats and skills to whatever you feel like running on a given day: From this to a stat grind for the sole sake of grinding stats to gain coveted purple text items to sanctify your character with a stat advantage and no more.

The introduction of WvW levels added more grind for the sake of leveling siege weapons. This in turn made WvW itself a grind rather than a grand strategy operation where farming WvW levels 'made' WvW relevant. But the siege weapons your are grinding to level are press 1 release 1 static turrets that are boring to operate. There isn't much dynamism to siege weapon operation and you can't aim and calibrate said siege weapon and put an npc on it then run into the fray sword swinging and you never could.

Dungeons are the birth and monstrosity of filth, crap, and fire. No healing class or even healing sub class means that healing is supplemented by down state rez chains which themselves function as healing. Fortunately most dungeons weren't mandatory and presently it may also be the case that no dungeons are mandatory so if you want to run a dungeon or a raid you can do so in the umpteen other mmos.

The arena pvp was pretty bad the last time I played for a lengthy period of time mostly due to reprobate players. There was a good game here or there. This has been addressed to some degree with private arenas for the reprobates to conglomerate into so they don't degrade public arenas. My personal focus was on WvW however since it was unique to GW2 and arena combat is pretty standard.

Overall GW2 is one of the best mmos. It could have been better with expansions, new classes, new class skills and class skill lines, reformed WvW to a higher degree than erasing lakes and outcroppings that never should have existed to being with. But it seems the story of present mmos is one of fixing the negativity that never should have been rather than adding positivity in the form of the things mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph. Even so GW2 is an excellent time sink; one of the best time sink/money mmos ever and at the end of the day that is what you look for in an mmo.
  42. Jul 30, 2014
    Beautiful and incredibly extensive world, which despite it's gigantic size doesn't lose the touch for details. I generally don't like MMO's and this is essentially still an MMO with many of it's annoyances, but for some reason GW2 seemed much more sympathetic than the rest. Tyria is an amazing world to explore with many gorgeous vistas and I enjoyed my time spent in there. I loved theBeautiful and incredibly extensive world, which despite it's gigantic size doesn't lose the touch for details. I generally don't like MMO's and this is essentially still an MMO with many of it's annoyances, but for some reason GW2 seemed much more sympathetic than the rest. Tyria is an amazing world to explore with many gorgeous vistas and I enjoyed my time spent in there. I loved the character creation and all the differences in the branching story lines and different races, lots of replayability here. After capping the experience levels on 80 it lost the momentum for me and I was finishing the story for the sake of finishing it more than anything, but it still entertained me in a good way for hundreds of hours and that's an achievement that many other games can only dream of. 8/10 Expand
  43. Jul 26, 2014
    Wow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the singleWow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the single player games but its just not the same. I wish they could of succeed in convincing me but they suck. Guild Wars 2 is everything I wish Final fantasy 11 & 14 could of been and it does truly take it to another different Tier from its predecessor, guess what no monthly dues, even better worth every dime. Total hours played 200 Expand
  44. Jul 16, 2014
    This is a game a really wanted to like and I did give it a good six months. It has beautiful character models, an fun combat system, a non-gear based pvp system, and dynamic content (DC). The latter, DC, is what really got my attention, and is, in fact, what the publisher hyped about the game.

Other things are interesting too, from the little (account wide banks and currency) to the big, especially the hub-free questing.

Yet, somehow, for me, the whole is much less than the sum of its parts. I did enjoy maxing out a few characters and exploring the world. But after all, it just seemed a bit stale. The DC is quite weak in the end, much less interesting to me than RIFT's DC. The questing gets tedious and, quest-granting method aside, is still the same old kill-this/fetch that.

Maybe they fixed this in the last few months but when I left, many folks were doing a very dull zone boss spawn loop in the starting zones collecting goodies. It was quick, it was efficient, and it was terribly boring. It's also a travesty of dynamic content: yes you had to wait for a boss to spawn but they spawned in the exact same order. No variation in timing or bosses.

Pre-launch they promised that your actions would affect the world. If those in zone don't stop the bandits poisoning the water supply, it remains poisoned. Trouble is, while sometimes it does get poisoned, it doesn't really have any effect and more typically, if an event fails, you just immediately go to the next "fix it" step in the chain, essentially getting a slightly longer version of the quest.

PVP was fun for a while and I think the cosmetic gear only rewards is interesting but A) why couldn't I wear this gear as town-wear so I could show it off outside of PVP and B) after level 30 or so, there was 50 or more levels of grind before there was any more gear I was interested in.

In the end, I just got bored with it. I do sometimes pine for those gorgeous character models and sexy gear but when I pop on again after the publisher sends me their latest hook, I feel the same distaste for the game that I felt for WoW after playing it for three years solid. I just can't face the tedium. There's too little to hold my attention.

Most of the gamers I know are the same way- fun for a while but easy to move on to something else. So if you can get it cheap, I think you can expect a few months of play out of it but don't be surprised if it does not hold your long term interest.
  45. Jul 13, 2014
    Not the groundbreaking, revolutionary game we were promised, but great nonetheless. This game combines the best features from other games, and adds its own flavour, making it even better. It's not as good as its claiming to be, but one of the best choices right now anyway. It does at times tend to feel like a singleplayer RPG though, so find a group to play with and you should be fine.
  46. Jul 11, 2014
    The best game ever created. After logging about 700 hours into the game, I decided that it was time to create a metacritic account and write my review. The game play is fantastic and has had me hooked for 2 years now. I personally love the graphics and the cartoony-ish feel of the game, although I know a lot of people don't. The community is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and helpful,The best game ever created. After logging about 700 hours into the game, I decided that it was time to create a metacritic account and write my review. The game play is fantastic and has had me hooked for 2 years now. I personally love the graphics and the cartoony-ish feel of the game, although I know a lot of people don't. The community is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and I love talking to my fellow players. Same goes for the staff. I've only had one problem with the game (which was my fault) and they addressed it and took care of it immediately for me. The map is great as well. Tyria is very large and beautiful, with much to explore and many different events to take part in, such as fighting dragons. I'll admit that the story can be lacking at times, but I still found it very enjoyable. And it's not a big deal, since there is still so much more to do in the game. I know people that play countless hours every day and still haven't even started the campaign yet. PvP is also great, it's a simple "capture the points and kill each other mode" which I have found to be very enjoyable. And the best part about this game: It is constantly being updated. Every two weeks Arenanet comes out with a massive amount of free content that keeps me coming back every day. Overall, this game is incredible, and I would recommend it to anybody and everybody. Expand
  47. Jul 8, 2014
    Very beautiful game.
    Wonderful areas, great story and a very interesting mass pvp.
    Seeing the latest MMOs like TESO or Wildstar, it's still the best on the market.
  48. Jul 4, 2014
    Good Game Unless you consider the Poor customer support you will receive if you quit playing for more than two months and forget things. I've just lost my account because customer support refused to help me even though i provided them with my receipt, my serial, and other useful information i could remember. Their response was: "After researching the provided information, we will not beGood Game Unless you consider the Poor customer support you will receive if you quit playing for more than two months and forget things. I've just lost my account because customer support refused to help me even though i provided them with my receipt, my serial, and other useful information i could remember. Their response was: "After researching the provided information, we will not be able to assist you with accessing this account." They even claimed the email I was using wasn't listed in the account when I had an old email as proof that it was They just auto replied that they won't help. Yep, Play at your own risk. You'll probably waste all your money. Don't expect their support to help you do anything when you have log in trouble. Expand
  49. Jun 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Лучшая РПГ ММО на данный момент. Бесплатные обновления и никакого заплатил и победил. Спасибо Аренанет Expand
  50. Jun 18, 2014
    The game is amazing, everything thats been said abot how it is different and fresh is true. There is but one major disadvantage. Two years after the release and there are still tons of bugs. And they keep piling up with every patch. The more I play it the more bugs I find and people seem to be used to them. Honestly the amound is kinda ridiculous. As for fixing them that just takes ages...
  51. Jun 9, 2014
    This game should have two reviews, one pre-megaserver and one post it.
    The pre-megaserver game was great. It had servers with their own communities and faces that you will most likely recognize. It also bolster the World V World population by how easy it is for guilds to recruit.
    Each server/world has their own pride, much like a nation. And it was very easy to organize guild events.
    This game should have two reviews, one pre-megaserver and one post it.
    ---------------------------------
    With the advent of the megaserver, everything I mentioned above were destroyed.
    Everyone now pve in one server which feels very bad to me because it's like helping your enemies in WvW get items/gold which they will use against you in WvW. What a stupid concept. Before this patch you know at least that most of the people you're helping on events were your own server pop with a few guests, now it's just mostly strangers. It's like taking a road trip, but instead of going with friends you pickup unknown peeps.------------------------------

Now, the only people that would like gw2 is newbies who didn't know about the pre-patch gw2. It's like Anet deliberately culled the veteran population of gw2 so they could appease the casual newbie players(newbies who will realize later on that there is now no meaningful endgame content). ------------------------

I don't know what anet is thinking. Besides, vets are the ones most likely to spend real money in the gem store. The only money they'll get from casual/newbie players are the game initial purchase. If it is their plan to gain short term money instead of guaranteed long term then it's probably an indicator that gw2 won't last much longer, and they're trying to get as much money before bailing out.---------------------------

This is why I'm leary of Wildstar too. The same publisher(NCSoft) in gw2 manages wildstar. It's easy for me to think that what changed the gw2 into a megaserver is a financial decision(so they would incur less bandwidth). And I have a nagging suspicion that NCsoft has a hand in that. If that's the case then what would NCsoft do in wildstar that changes game mechanics so much like the gw2 megablunder.
    ---------------------------------------
    I gave a 5(average) for the review because it is now just one of the one world generic mmo out there.
  52. Jun 4, 2014
    The game is amazingly beautiful and HUGE. There is so much to explore and play through. Well worth the money, especially when you find it on sale. There is stuff for both the hardcore and casual gamers.
  53. Jun 4, 2014
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    Imo for now the best MMO around especially considered price/content level and quantity.
    Found the story entertaining, but for a deep understanding you need to know the lore of the first game too. The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing as the game get "experience".
    Not a game for gear grinders nor people that want a set "goal", you play gw2 because you like the lore, the roleplay, having fun with friends and helping others.
    It still need many improvements like for pvp modes and maps (they're starting with them recently), update's structure and some more feature wich were announced at launch yet had to be took down for fixing and polishing (some of them just returned recently) .
    This game deserves an 8 or 9 imo, yet i'm giving it 10 for the potential that is shows and that it's gradually being expressed and for the nice community that manage it (sometimes they're too kind, especially with bosses etc but it have it's hard content too)
    If you wish to buy it, do so when there's some discount...the price is pretty honest and it's permanent..i mean, you might just wanna buy it for later of play it for a while and then return, the game will always be there for you :D
    Moreover season 2 of the living story is about to start, it seems promising and fun...let's hope for the best :)
  54. Jun 1, 2014
    I initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet theI initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet the expectations of some hardcore gamers that expect the on-line world to bow down to them because they have nothing better to do than play a game all day long. However the vast majority of people playing this game all agree on one thing: this game is one of best, if not the best, MMO ever. The Living Story has been a bit disappointing at times, but bringing out biweekly patches and content updates is no small feat, they should have gone for more permanent content from the beginning. Still, it's been out for almost two years now and nothing else even come close, that's saying something. Expand
  55. May 19, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is a fantastic Improvement from the first ''Guild Wars'', Its better then TOR, World of Warcraft and TERA, Lord of the rings online and more, they've made a brilliant decision on the games Gameplay and duel-wielding is personally my favorite thing to do, the duel-wielding feels brilliantly done, and the graphics are truly beautiful and stunningly detailed, but the bad thingGuild Wars 2 is a fantastic Improvement from the first ''Guild Wars'', Its better then TOR, World of Warcraft and TERA, Lord of the rings online and more, they've made a brilliant decision on the games Gameplay and duel-wielding is personally my favorite thing to do, the duel-wielding feels brilliantly done, and the graphics are truly beautiful and stunningly detailed, but the bad thing about this game is the ''PVP'' - It normally takes hours just to get into a game which is a big problem, personally I don't go to play any ''PVP'', but that's mainly because I gave it up as waiting too long is annoyingly silly... Expand
  56. May 8, 2014
    This game is a bad joke, ultra unbalanced, buggy and, behind its fake complexity, is easy as hell (easy to learn easy to master). There are multiple modes, PvP, PvE and WvW. The fighting system, the bugs, the exploits and the unbalance and many many more issues makes this game a waste of time.

PVP is a shapeless entity, I cant call it another way. It is BROKEN and FORGOTTEN by the dev. Is a arcade mode of the game where all players get a gear with the same value. Hot join is HORRIBLE and frustrating (you random join against other players, like in many other games, like Counter-Strike, but here is TERRIBLE. If you want not to hot-join you can create custom servers but that will cost you and is not better). The main tactics is to exploit the huge number of bugs or to random spam spells (conditions) without any tactics and than run around or to cripple the enemy ability to play by stunning them or pushing them around and stuff like that. There are classes that can win easy against other classes so if you have the wrong class YOU ARE DEAD and that was not intended by Arena Net, they wanted to make all the classes equal but they have failed. There is a unbelievable limited number of character builds that you can make, you can make 99999 but only 3-5 that work for each character (you can find the examples on internet, just copy/paste them, you can not invent anything new and if you will make your own build the build will be the same as a build from the internet or it will not work), all the other builds are totally useless. Another huge problem are the skill cool downs, stun durations, etc. Makes the fights really slow, you will have to use skills that you dont have to use at that moment just to do something not to get bored.

PvE is a boring farming mode for the retards. Make quests, kill mobs, wanking around, etc. Too bad that the loot was nerfed a while back and never recovered so prepare your wallet if you want to build a better gear or to wear a fancy armor (or buy gold from the 3rd party parasite bots that spam you with offers all the time). You can also complete dungeons which where interesting before I have found out so many exploits, you just have to use the known bugs to win easy. Has nothing to do with skill or team work, just know the bug - use the bug - get the prize - start over until you get old. (a totally waste of time, just play solitaire, a time well spend compared to the PvE)

WvW is another example of how unbalanced this game can be. On this mode 3 servers will fight between each other on 4 dedicated maps. You will have to team up with others and conquer towers, keeps, etc. WvW is the most interesting part of the game but IS BROKEN AS WELL. Is totally unbalanced, all the 3 concurrent servers have a different amount of players so everything is about the number of players. If your servers play against a bigger servers all you have to do is stay in the base or die. There is nothing you can do but just wait a entire week and hope that you will fight against a lower populated server. If you are not lucky than you will have to wait another week.... and so on. But if you fight against a smaller server than, again, is not fun because you have no one to kill. WvW is a big mess as well. Usually players form a group called a "zerg" and follow a commander. The group with more players win so is all about numbers. Is not like on StarCraft where you could win against 4 other players if you played well. Here if you are outnumbered, even though you may have a group with better players, YOU LOSE. At such a huge number of players skills does not matter much. Commanding is also a mess because if you talk to much you get suppressed (you are unable to use the chat). The zerg will start to wonder why the hell you don't say anything because they expect you to say something :D. That is why I have stopped commanding. You can use 3rd party tools like Team Speak but many players don't want to install it so you have to use the official game chat. Some players prefer to roam (go into small groups) which is more fun than just following a huge group of brain dead noobs. But roaming also has issues, all the PvP issues + the unbalance between the gear. In WvW everybody can have a gear with a different value than on PvP. Usually roaming is risky because this game is full of thiefs, they can attack with huge damage while they are invisible and run and regenerate and than attack you again. Thiefs can be invisible the whole battle except 3 seconds every 15 seconds (that depends of the thief's skill, most of them are good :D).

Overall, the main concept was brilliant but everything went terrible wrong and this game, the way it is right now, is a big mess. There are no fair fights, the skill of a player is not important only the build of your character that you can copy/paste it from the net. Bugs, glitches, exploits etc but the main problem is still the spell spam, the combat system and all the balance issues.
  57. May 5, 2014
    This game wins in that I didn't find it frustrating to play most of the time. However, I was greatly let down by it's character story and it's rather Meh PvP.

That being said, I don't regret a minute I played in this game. Very solid game.
  58. May 1, 2014
    They'd receive a stellar rating except for one glaring problem at the moment, they are supporting the hackers and not the players.

As we speak, there are hundreds and probably borderline thousands of accounts that have recently been hacked. To be clear, ArenaNet had a security problem towards the end of 2012 which caused thousands upon thousands of compromised accounts, which caused hackers to get a hold of players personal info. Fast forward to the past 2 weeks, there has been a mass breach again where the offenders obtained countless e-mails and passwords of players thus compromising a tidal wave of accounts. This has now been confirmed to be on ArenaNet's end though they won't admit it.

Here is the problem, ArenaNet only allows 1 rollback per account even if the security problem is on their end, you basically lose all your stuff the 2nd time your hacked. So today, thousands of people (so far) have lost their stuff. Now it's up to the individual whether they want to completely start anew and possibly lose their stuff again as ArenaNet can't keep their servers secure. I'm guessing all these people will end up walking away from the game.

This was a great game, but sadly it's gone completely down the drain and gone in favor of the hackers. My advice, do not pick up this game, at least not until they have fortified their servers somehow.
  59. May 1, 2014
    Beautifull setting, playing guild wars 2 was one of the best things i've ever played, it goes further than WoW or any other big MMORpg, first of all the price is accesible to anyone without monthly subscription, the gold - Gems market is a beautifull idea, and also the game has no restriction whatsoever it's been one of the best MMORpg without a doubt
  60. Apr 25, 2014
    I bought GW2 on a friend's recommendation. After playing for a few hours I got used to certain controls - mostly for skills 1 to 5 (pressing 1 to 5). So I log in again tonight and it has swapped around the order of my skills & it's impossible to customise (I've searched on the web). For no logical reason that I can think of. I now have to re-learn all of the controls for no reasonI bought GW2 on a friend's recommendation. After playing for a few hours I got used to certain controls - mostly for skills 1 to 5 (pressing 1 to 5). So I log in again tonight and it has swapped around the order of my skills & it's impossible to customise (I've searched on the web). For no logical reason that I can think of. I now have to re-learn all of the controls for no reason because it has swapped around the skill order randomly. Anyway - if you are new and considering giving this a go - avoid. Expand
  61. Apr 24, 2014
    The graphics are nice and the quest system is nice. Sadly, a lack of interesting story lines makes the leveling process very boring. The lack of FoV slider makes the game unplayable for several people, and is inexcusable for a modern game.
  62. Apr 15, 2014
    While many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay didWhile many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay did not hang together in an engaging way, leaving me wondering why I would want to log-in. While Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game, it is a thoroughly bland one. It's questing and story are unappealing compared to games like Star Wars: The Old Republic or Elder Scrolls Online, and for me, the combat game play did not hold up favorably to ESO either. The game may not require a subscription fee, but I did find myself regretting the purchase price of the game. I simply can't recommend Guild Wars 2. Expand
  63. Apr 5, 2014
    When I initially played Guild Wars 2 I enjoyed the graphics and game play because it was something new. Sadly though I quickly got bored and stopped playing when I hit level 50. The world itself is massive and there are many quests, but it gets repetitive after a while and kind of stale in general. I know though that opinions on MMO's don't mean much because some people like them and someWhen I initially played Guild Wars 2 I enjoyed the graphics and game play because it was something new. Sadly though I quickly got bored and stopped playing when I hit level 50. The world itself is massive and there are many quests, but it gets repetitive after a while and kind of stale in general. I know though that opinions on MMO's don't mean much because some people like them and some people don't. I am starting to get the feeling that MMO's aren't for me, or maybe they need to release something innovative instead of the same thing over and over. Expand
  64. Apr 5, 2014
    16 months and 3000 ours spent: this is still the best MMORPG on the market and this year, with more competition, it's really going to stand out.

Putting 10/10 in an effort to slow down haters and people who clearly didn't play it :P
  65. Apr 4, 2014
    Although good, very overrated. If you're looking for the next big MMO, this wont be it. It's a simple distraction which will last you about 200 hours max, which aren't always that fun. It is good value per money if you only account for the play time, although it is quite boring sometimes and if you want good value for your money that you will actually enjoy, just buy a single-player RPG.Although good, very overrated. If you're looking for the next big MMO, this wont be it. It's a simple distraction which will last you about 200 hours max, which aren't always that fun. It is good value per money if you only account for the play time, although it is quite boring sometimes and if you want good value for your money that you will actually enjoy, just buy a single-player RPG. It's overrated, since it's buy-to-play and doesn't require a 15 dollar-per-month subscription, although chances are, you're not going to play past that month anyways. Expand
  66. Mar 18, 2014
    As a massive fan of MMORPG's, I can finally say I've finally found the MMORPG for me. First off, no monthly subscriptions, I buy it and it's all mine ! And as well, the content, wow. The amount of content on this game is never-ending and it's all for £30 ! (Even bigger than WOW, Skyrim and Oblivion) I've played this game for months on end and still haven't seen every piece this game has toAs a massive fan of MMORPG's, I can finally say I've finally found the MMORPG for me. First off, no monthly subscriptions, I buy it and it's all mine ! And as well, the content, wow. The amount of content on this game is never-ending and it's all for £30 ! (Even bigger than WOW, Skyrim and Oblivion) I've played this game for months on end and still haven't seen every piece this game has to offer. The amount of ontent is just unreal.Every player has their own unique storyline so it's different everytime you play the game, unlike a lot of MMORPG's out there and it's all for £30 ! The music and voice acting is outstanding and above all probably the best out of all the games I've played and it's all for £30 !
    Hey, did I mention all this is for £30 ! This isn't even close to summarising how intense this game is, I just wanna go back to playing it right now cause it's so good ! Playing Guild Wars 2, I can never go back to another MMORPG with monthly subscirptions ever again. It's like ESO, I'll still be playing GW2 FREE OF MONTHLY SUBSCIPTIONS ! GUILD WARS 2 IS THE GOD DAMN **** GAME CHANGER FOR MMORPGS! And I sincerely hope game dev companies planning on making MMOs learn from this.
  67. Mar 16, 2014
    I will start off by saying that I have put in well over 500 hours of game play in Guild Wars 2!
    This is overall an excellent game!
    The combat system in the game is excellent with the combat dodges, weapon based abilities and combo abilities! The first time going through the game and leveling up is the most fun you will ever have in an MMO, there is 0 grind involved in leveling up in
    This is overall an excellent game!
    The first time going through the game and leveling up is the most fun you will ever have in an MMO, there is 0 grind involved in leveling up in fact, if you choose not to do the quests in the mainland you can choose to level up by playing the world Vs word if it more suits your style.
    Each dungeon in the game is very fun and different from one another with multiple paths, a story mode and unique boss fights!
    Also, there is a PvP arena which uses seperate gear from the mainand. You unlock new weapon skins and finishers by leveling up here, which gives a great incentive for many players to participate.

However, I do remove 1 point from a perfect 10/10 score for three reasons.

1. There is not much to do in the "endgame" once you have acquired the best gear in the game
    2. The content added to the game does not interest me much. A good majority of the content is called "living story" which is basically just a one time boss fight, which usually has it's bugs on release and generally ruins the overall experience of the content.
    3. The World vs World PvP in this game, despite being an amazing experience for the first few weeks you play the game, can get boring rather quickly because of the concept. This is largely due to the way that it is played, which is zerg vs zerg combat and the bigger zerg wins.
  68. Mar 12, 2014
    GW2...bought it because of all the hype, all the adverts and reviews. Well, once again disappointed. Feel as though people rant and rave about this mmo for some hidden agenda or reason. I bought it and played it for awhile. Then after a few months hiatus I thought my interest or viewpoint would be renewed so I returned and lo and behold; Nope....It just feels generic and the visuals areGW2...bought it because of all the hype, all the adverts and reviews. Well, once again disappointed. Feel as though people rant and rave about this mmo for some hidden agenda or reason. I bought it and played it for awhile. Then after a few months hiatus I thought my interest or viewpoint would be renewed so I returned and lo and behold; Nope....It just feels generic and the visuals are hollow and flat.

The music is great though and the character creation and classes are unique enough to warrant a small bit of interest, but beyond that it seems bland. The dialogue is atrocious and does nothing to move the story. Most of the time I was just clicking "next" or "skip" really fast. Overall Guild wars 2 is sorely lacking and unfortunately most games published in markets outside Europe and America are sorely lacking in the development department...they always seem "aloof" or "floaty" for some odd reason. No offense to any, but it's to much of a fact to be disregarded or dismissed.
  69. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    It was a good game, lot of potential. The premises (and prOmises) were amazing: No grinding, no gating...
    Sure, it would have needed some bit of changes and fixes here and there (the greatest being the lacking of a proper LFG tool), but it was overall pretty great for a new MMO.
    But with the Lost Shores patch they trashed it all. They broke ALL their promises, they went against their own manifesto. They went for an HEAVY grind style, a terrible gear treadmill. On top of that, the economy is ruined and prices are a real problem, especially for new players. So, if you want to buy or craft something now you pretty much have to buy money from their shop, making this a Pay to Win game.
    Really disappointed, it had potential, but now it's just another WoW clone, and WoW still does those things better.
  70. Mar 4, 2014
    Best MMORPG so far. The best things in the game that count in score : graphics, background, personal story, living story and dynamic events. Teleportation points, vista, skill points, most jumping puzzles are good choices. We have 8 different class with some special bar per class Dungeons in scenario mode are relatively nice but need a certain level (80) and looking for group interfaceBest MMORPG so far. The best things in the game that count in score : graphics, background, personal story, living story and dynamic events. Teleportation points, vista, skill points, most jumping puzzles are good choices. We have 8 different class with some special bar per class Dungeons in scenario mode are relatively nice but need a certain level (80) and looking for group interface which existed lately. Dungeons in explorer mode is mush difficult and buggy. We can't do all 33 paths. We have also fractals with different levels. More accessible then dungeons at low level between 1 and 10. But after a certain level around 15 it is very difficult.

Pve is far better then pvp. pvp is unbalanced in general, maps smaller then pve and often the same and mush more lag. Their is 2 kinds of pvp : WvW and structured. WvW and structured pvp contributes like pve to the duration of the games. They are complementary. WvW is nice because you have to take castle, garrison, tour, camp in a raid group using siege weapons. Structured pvp is nice because we need to take control of places and need some group tactic. Structured pvp is disappointing because we don't have nice skins affordable for characters.

We have also a lot of activities for players how are bored from fighting.

We can have up to 5 guilds per account. Not limited members. 10 levels of responsibility. Guild craft and missions. Need to represents a guild to chat with every member

Game play : 8/10, graphics : 8/10, back ground : 8/10, lifetime : 8/10, sound : 8/10, community : 7/10, world : 8/10,

personal story : 8/10, dynamic events : 8/10, living story : 7/10, normal pve : 8/10, jumping puzzles : 7/10,

vistas : 7/10, teleportation points : 7/10, remarkable sites : 7/10, skill points : 6,5/10,
    yellow hearts : 5/10, achievements : 7/10

fractals : 6/10, mini-dungeons (Vexa Lab, etc...) : 6/10, dungeons in scenario mode : 6/10, dungeons in exploration mode : 5/10,

edge of the mists (WvW) : 7/10, wars of the mists (WvW) : 6/10, heart of the mists (structured pvp) : 6/10, activities : 5-6/10

craft : 7/10, trade (auction house) : 7/10, character customization : 6/10,

races : 7/10, classes : 7/10, mini-pets : 7/10, pets (ranger) : 7/10

skills : 6/10, attributes : 6/10, fights : 5/10,

titles : 5/10, guilds : 5/10,

swim : 7/10, jump : 6/10, dive : 6/10, climb : 6/10, dodge : 6/10
  71. Feb 25, 2014
    Pretty amazing MMO to say the least. Beautiful world and very engaging.

Leveling the character was enjoyable! As you level the game engages the player by telling a story and continues as you level. Along with the story, zones have "events" or aka quests that players can take part in and help out npc's earning xp and karma (form of currency). Plenty of dungeons to enjoy once at a
    Pretty amazing MMO to say the least. Beautiful world and very engaging.

Leveling the character was enjoyable!

Plenty of dungeons to enjoy once at a certain level but once you are capped at 80 you can go back and try "explore" mode which provides a higher difficulty.

PvP and WvW content plenty of action to take part in.

Crafting professions were well done.
  72. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    By far the best MMO I have ever have the joy of playing, Guild Wars 2 never fails to impress whether your fighting a world boss, going on a raid with 50 or so other players, exploring the vast detailed polished world of Tyria or even the very well made and addicting WVW/PVP game play which adds the competitive play to GW2. All in all the game feels smooth and easy to get used to while alsoBy far the best MMO I have ever have the joy of playing, Guild Wars 2 never fails to impress whether your fighting a world boss, going on a raid with 50 or so other players, exploring the vast detailed polished world of Tyria or even the very well made and addicting WVW/PVP game play which adds the competitive play to GW2. All in all the game feels smooth and easy to get used to while also taking skill and patience in other areas of the game at later levels. The constant monthly living world updates also leave more to do after the end game or reaching the final level. 10/10 Expand
  73. Feb 24, 2014
    Очень хорошая игра, если вам надоели бесконечные квесты варкрафта, незаурядное вырезание пяти тысяч монстров в л2 - это ира для вас. Отличная графика, хорошая физика, интересная история у каждой расы, осады в режиме пвп, открытые ворлд боссы, тысячи рандомных событий в мире и многое другое. 9 из 10. Поставил бы десятку, но для меня шалит пинг на Eu регионе, ну и нет ру-локалицазии :)Очень хорошая игра, если вам надоели бесконечные квесты варкрафта, незаурядное вырезание пяти тысяч монстров в л2 - это ира для вас. Отличная графика, хорошая физика, интересная история у каждой расы, осады в режиме пвп, открытые ворлд боссы, тысячи рандомных событий в мире и многое другое. 9 из 10. Поставил бы десятку, но для меня шалит пинг на Eu регионе, ну и нет ру-локалицазии :)
  74. Feb 24, 2014
    Even though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarilyEven though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarily good for an MMO, crafting works pretty well, exploration is by far the best in the MMO genre and there is even a decent story telling. There is no monthly fee, yet the game is updated quite often. The atmosphere is mostly fine. If you play as a human that is. The other races have far less immersive setting in the starting areas. Some of the class quest suffered of bugs after release. Overall however, this game is outstandingly good. Expand
  75. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is as a welcomed change from all the other MMORPGs on the market. It's not like LOTRO where you have to pay for any kind of additional content (you can buy cosmetics as stuff like that, but that won't give you an advantage over other players). It will completely change your view on all MMORPGS and they bring out new content every two weeks which is amazing since you don't pay aThis game is as a welcomed change from all the other MMORPGs on the market. It's not like LOTRO where you have to pay for any kind of additional content (you can buy cosmetics as stuff like that, but that won't give you an advantage over other players). It will completely change your view on all MMORPGS and they bring out new content every two weeks which is amazing since you don't pay a monthly subscription.
    Overall it's a great game where you get an unbelievable amount of content for your money.
  76. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
  77. Jan 31, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, the game is good, but the way people were speaking and writing about it you would expect it to be the next huge evolution in the MMORPG genre. It is not.
    There are a few great improvements, such as "dynamic events" which let you join in on any world event regardless of your level (won't scale you up though). But if I am being honest this is more of a convenience than a major game changer, it simply makes it faster to run around and engage in the world rather than having to find a party/guild, etc.
    The gameplay/battle is standard cookie-cutter MMORPG fare from 2006. If you enjoy pressing tab to target, then your character auto attacks or you use a few skills till its dead, then this game will live up to your expectations. I will say the dodge system is a nice small change, but it only goes so far.
    sPvP is your standard capture points, etc. While the game brings a few new welcome changes to the genre, it in no way redefines MMOs. Dull target/autoattack engine from WoW 2006.

I spent about a month thinking over whether to buy this game, looking at gameplay, reviews, etc. I finally bought it on sale for $40. I was sorely mistaken. I had more fun with Terraria and I bought it for $2.50.
    Simply put, do NOT buy into the hyped up reviews from 2012 who reviewed it the day after it was released and use all sorts of nice words like "fantastic, amazing, beautiful, game-changer".
  78. Jan 28, 2014
    having played this for a year these are my impressions

this game has a lot going for it excellent animation and art, several good improvements on the genre standard ( node sharing, quests that complete when in range) much of the good design is front loaded into the starting levels however after around level 30 the game starts to suffer and become repetitive the dungeon design is
    having played this for a year these are my impressions

the dungeon design is good thematically, but terrible in terms of a gaming standpoint, there are arbitrary difficulty spikes everywhere ( this boss will 1 shot you dodge or die) there is improved difficulty across most enemies but no comparable reward increase with many of your trash mobs dropping nothing or grey items,
    this is worsened by not having standard loot tables, instead each player is individually assigned a roll on everything in the game, with a few added dungeon specific items thrown in i.e. dungeon themed consumables. and a meager amount of tokens/gold for your accounts first run of the day

the above issue is more widespread than dungeons however, with the majority of loot at any time being down to luck, there is no way to gravitate to more rewarding content as all content is equally unrewarding, beat the hardest content in the game ? have some vendor trash while that guy that was face down for the fight gets something cool, the entire loot system is based on RNG

which ties in nicely with their monetisation, RNG cash shop boxes for weapon skins pets and so on are prevalent, as is the option to convert your real money to in game gold, this is further encouraged by allowing the legendary weapons (BIS forever) to be bought with gold (current exchange is ~$300 worth)and through the coming replacement of things like pvp currency with gold. They have further added diminishing returns to all open world mob drops so that you cannot farm for the required end game components to craft yourself, and must instead farm gold to buy them.

over the last year they have have used their frequent update schedule as a marketing point, however over 90% of all the content in these updates is no longer in the game, and will never be experienced by new players, in addition to removing content to keep the players on each server focused in one area to mitigate population issues the game has repeatedly added more vertical progression widening the gap between old and new players, with the new ascended tier taking over 6 months to acquire for one build, which they may then nerf in a balance patch.

ultimately this game is a classic example of bait and switch, the released marketing advertising a game with no grind and, easy to quire bis and more horizontal design, it has delivered the opposite with ridiculous grinds of 100 000 tokens for a pet
    a new tier of gear drip fed to players over a year and repeated vertical progression paths that lock you into a specialization with no way to refund them if you change your mind.

they have repeatedly reset players progress by resetting achievement points, changing cash shop items after people have bought them changing gear stats after waiting till people had invested in a full set and so on while leaving exploitable bugs in the game for over a year, allowing players to exploit walls etc in dungeons to solo bosses and so on, many of the problems made in this game are so jarring because we have seen them before, the better part of a decade ago, when other mmos fixed them
    it seems Anet is determined to repeat the mistakes of the past as a result i would not recommend this game

if your looking for a game with vertical progression this isn't for you
    if you are looking for a game with horizontal progression this definitely isn't for you
  79. Jan 25, 2014
    Very good looking game. Great quest system, doesn't feel like a grind to get to 80. Mechanics are well-polished. Good sound effects and ambience.

Crafting is a complete and total waste of time. Very very very few customization options for your toon. You can dye your armor. That's it. There are only about 3 different "skins" for gear for each class for about every 20 lvls. As

Crafting is a complete and total waste of time.

Very very very few customization options for your toon. You can dye your armor. That's it. There are only about 3 different "skins" for gear for each class for about every 20 lvls. As you lvl you look like everyone else. When you hit 80, you look like you did when you were 20 and still like everyone else. Sure sure you can run 9000000000000 raid instances and maybe get something different. No thanks.

There's not even anything in the in game cash shop worth buying. Total waste of a cash shop IMO.

PVP.... game is supposed to be built around it. Q up, only 1 of 2 things happens. You wander around with NOTHING to do, and NOONE else in the zone.... OR you get insta zerg raped. Hooray.
  80. Jan 24, 2014
    This is the only MMO I still enjoy after 3000 hours. I've done all the content, built a 300-adult superguild, made legendaries, full top-tier everything, a 600gold emperor title just for fun... And there's STILL STUFF COMING OUT! Sometimes the living story gets kinda boring but this is definitely redefining what good MMO's require. Kudos arenanet.
  81. Jan 21, 2014
    Absolutely incredible. I'm not an MMO guy at all, really. I played WoW, Aion, ERA, The Secret World, SWTOR, all of the cheesy stuff put out by the P2W item mall companies, and this game had something the others did not. It was different. Very different in its presentation. It was gorgeous like TERA, but the
    combat was a little more challenging because you couldn't dodge as much as you
    combat was a little more challenging because you couldn't dodge as much as you wanted. It finally did away with standards set by WoW. There were more options in ways to level, it let newbies PvP as soon as they wanted, and best of all every class could play any role in their own unique ways. That sort of This game is the only reason I do not hate every MMO. Literally, this degree of flexibility is unprecedented in the genre, except maybe by SWG, though I never got to play it.

Being a relatively shy player, getting into a party was a pain in the average MMO, and it was a requirement to progress most of the time since dungeons/raiding is a staple in many if not all MMOs. Which is sad, because the alternative staple is to grind away at generic quests. TERA said its quests would be different, the devs lied. GW2 said it'd be different and they delivered. Sure you could kill stuff most of the time to do quests, but you had other avenues to progress through your quests. The alternate ways to complete quests were often reasonable and creative. Anyway, I digressed, but the dynamic party system is fantastic and puts an end to the kill-stealing of mobs by other players in some of the genre's other games.

The game may be a little P2W, but it is only technically so. You can convert the item mall and in-game currency between each other, allowing paying players to buy in-game items with essentially purchase gold. It's likely a glaring issue to many players, but it doesn't affect PvP or World vs World vs World in meaningful ways, and it doesn't affect the small-scale PvP at all as it uses its own special set of gear in place of your normal gear. In World vs World vs World stats aren't as noticeable because everyone is level 80 while there. Bought gear gives an advantage, but in the midst of 50+ vs 50+ battle, these advantages play a negligible role, which shows when you look at the WvWvW leaderboards. They are usually very close.

I think sour players dislike the game for the wrong reasons. Maybe it's because it isn't a clone of GW? Or WoW? I think they are a minority. I think most people dislike this game because they saw currency conversion and looked no further before quitting/brushing the game off. Maybe they didn't like how they didn't have 100+ skills littering their screen to distract them from the game's beauty. Or how you could join as many guilds as you wanted, but could only represent one at a time. There's also the 'level grind' that doesn't exist. I level fast. I went up twenty levels in a day with WvWvW. The XP rewards scale.

The only downside to this game is the currency conversion. Yes I know I shrugged at it earlier, but for people who gauge success by level(which hardly applies to GW2 outside of gear aesthetic), it can be lame. You can use gems to get gold to get crafting materials, and use the crafting system to max a character and a buy a set of max gear. As far as player interaction goes, this matters very little, as explained earlier.

Kudos to Arena Net/NCSoft for having the courage to take risks and execute them well. May they carry this innovative philosophy on to other games they produce.
  82. Jan 19, 2014
    Truly awful game that doesn't deliver on its promises. Gameplay is boring and samey across all classes. It DOES NOT get rid of grinding, it only disguises it with banal distractions like "water these plants for XP!" Avoid.
  83. Jan 17, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that has been awaited for years. With an enormous amount of content, diverse quests, and an overall enhancing experience, Guild Wars 2 is a spectacle. The personal story is only average, but it isn't what the game is about. This MMO is a milestone for the genre; an achievement for the year, if not the decade.
  84. Jan 11, 2014
    a good, typical mmo. with fascinating graphics, a large open world.
    full of grinding farming and gold.

but not what people were waiting for at the very beginning.
    not "a game for casuals". not "a game without grinding".
  85. Jan 10, 2014
    Before 2011 i was not a fan of MMORPGS. I liked my ARPGS like Diablo 2 Diablo Itself. It was World of Warcraft that i originally purchased subscribed and played my be for a month. My initial experience with MMOs was not what i expected and i hated WOW. I knew about Original Guild Wars from a friend but never got around to play it because Arenanet had announced Guild Wars 2. Purchased theBefore 2011 i was not a fan of MMORPGS. I liked my ARPGS like Diablo 2 Diablo Itself. It was World of Warcraft that i originally purchased subscribed and played my be for a month. My initial experience with MMOs was not what i expected and i hated WOW. I knew about Original Guild Wars from a friend but never got around to play it because Arenanet had announced Guild Wars 2. Purchased the Game on its release date and started to play. The immediate Impact of the presentation was overwhelming. It is an absolute achievement to have graphics and art blending seamlessly to produce such beautiful and memorable environments. Events happening left right and centre with regularity. There was always something to do. But although Graphics were awesome they also taxed my machine to the max for getting reasonable game play. This fact did put me off and i decided to go back to SWTOR. In December 2012 i played solely SWTOR for well over 18 months Just because of loyalty to Star wars Universe. During this time Guild Wars 2 Struggled as well to keep the Numbers on there servers. Although i kept on coming back for more GW2 but performance of my Machine always made me return to less Graphic intensive Games on the time. It was June of 2013 when i decided to Quit SWTOR (because of Continuing disappointments with server mergers and poor repetitive content). Guild wars 2 this time practically blew me away it was more polished and keeping it going without a subscription is in fact an achievement. Thus far i have created 3 level 80 characters and spent Countless hours in various areas of the game.

PVE:
    Story : Guildwars 2 character story is probably its weakest point. but it does not bother me as it is the gameplay and MMO part that i am interested in. Story has it moments but largely i will not recommend purchasing the game based on that.

Character Classes : You have multiple options and multiple classes to play with 5 main races 8 main characters each character can than be customised with weapons and traits in various combinations to suit you play style. This combination is unique and strongest feat of GW 2 as there is infinite amount of customizing to max out your potential.

Grouping : LFG tool is still in beta but you can group up with people from your server or cross server. There is lots you can learn in these groups. Dungeons have Story Mode and Explorable Mode which opens up as you progress 3 paths. So essentially you can play the same dungeon in 4 different ways and each way is very different for the original. Guildwars 2 does follow the Holy Trinity (that is Each group has a Tank /dps / healer) It promotes experimentation.

In Game Events and Content Updates are very frequent. What WOW has achieved in almost 10 years of existence GW2 has managed to achieve in 18 months. Each Content update would probably a New Expansion for WOW. or a module worth so many dollars in other MMOs.

PVP: There is sPVP which puts you against other teams it is well balanced and quite rewarding for regular players.
    Gameplay mechanics are very fluid. All professions play differently so its matter of your practise and control.
    WVW where each week server population goes up against 2 other servers is another extremely strong and popular mode for GW 2. But it promotes Zerging (large number of people trying to achieve an objective) in the game
    Loot Recipes Gear is plentiful and you can do lots with it again in terms of improving your character and grinding for Legendary weapons. There are no shared loot drops so it prevents scavengers and ninja activity when it come to distribution.

If you are a regular MMORPG player i can safely recommend you GW2
    If you are new to MMOs i do suggest that GW2 will grow on you given enough time.
    Its a Masterpiece in terms of Gaming and currently the best MMORPG on the market.

Its Flaws High Graphics Requirement ( when buying please check your system can handle it well or not)
    Lack of Holy trinity can be troublesome for certain people. Not knowing ones role can be troublesome.
    Its game where exploration and experimentation will pay off and rewarded.
    Developers are not focused on just earning money. Quality of Content and being free was something unthinkable just a couple of years ago.
  86. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is still awesome with great graphics and great game play. The intuitive interface is still one of the best. The constant expansions, upgrades, updates etc... keep this game interesting. The satisfying feeling of discovering new areas and new things keeps coming all the time. After one year one notices the growth of the game to maturity. So with the rate te growth is going now,This game is still awesome with great graphics and great game play. The intuitive interface is still one of the best. The constant expansions, upgrades, updates etc... keep this game interesting. The satisfying feeling of discovering new areas and new things keeps coming all the time. After one year one notices the growth of the game to maturity. So with the rate te growth is going now, imagine what the game will be offering next year. Awesomeness I think all over again. The style of the graphics is catching and sucks one into the world of Guild Wars 2. Expand
  87. Jan 9, 2014
    Over my three accounts in this game, I have easily spent over 1,500 hours and I don't regret it a bit. This game is absolutely charming and wonderful.
  88. Jan 3, 2014
    The good:
    - good to look at
    - something different - dynamic events The bad : - gets old quick - grindy despite what anet tells us - you will spend a considerable amount of time in overflow or queus - If you want to join anything awesome, you have to show up 1hr ahead of time due to overflow/queu - you can get in-game cash by paying anet real money - No end game - Moderated
    The good:
    - good to look at
    - something different
    - dynamic events

The bad :
    - gets old quick
    - grindy despite what anet tells us
    - you will spend a considerable amount of time in overflow or queus
    - you can get in-game cash by paying anet real money
    - No end game
    - Moderated like game for children (names containing poop, pee, puke will not be tolerated. Cussing may land you a temporary ban)

Good/Bad depends on what you like:
    - Very casual
    - Relatively easy learning curve

Unless you have 60$ lying around and does not have any games to spend it on. I would suggest you get a different game. It's fun at first but it will get old quick. Once you hit 80 and realize you simply do the same thing rinse and repeat everyday and the fact that you can buy in-game cash from Anet... yeah it's different than your average mmo. The saying the more they change the more they stay the same rings true in my experience. How is this not like any chinese free-to-play mmo when you can buy in game cash?
  89. Dec 29, 2013
    This game sucked my life away, so many hour of my time have been put into this game. This game offers a plethora of replayability. There's the standard open world play and there's also personal stories. There are multiple races to chose from and customizable stories for each, ensuring a different play through each time.
    Teamwork is one of the biggest points in the game, most events cannot
    Teamwork is one of the biggest points in the game, most events cannot be completed without the help of other players. The use of guilds really brings this all together, the community's very tight knit and friendly making it very easy for beginners to hop in and learn.
  90. Dec 24, 2013
    GW2 represents the ultimate dumbing down of MMO games. Mash 4 buttons, never die, nothing to customize. Hand held the entire time. Graphics are good otherwise it has as much depth, complexity, and challenge as a carnival kiddie-ride.
  91. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GW2 feels like an extra-grindy Korean MMO. PvE, PvP, WvW everything’s a grind. Daily grind, monthly grind… They even turned world exploration into a grind. In other MMO games exploration is you wandering around the world as you like (maybe looking for a place and angle for a nice screenshot). In GW2 exploration is you watching the minimap of a YouTube zone completion video.

The LFG tool was “beta” one year ago and it still is. Obviously, ANet doesn’t even care. I admit I haven’t been in a dungeon once because the very thought of gathering a group manually turns me off. I did that to my heart’s content in vanilla WoW but we aren’t in MMO stone age anymore, are we?

Dynamic content is a joke. Seriously, it’s been done and it’s been done better. At least in Rift you could actually see invasion rifts on the map so you knew where to run. Just logged in and want to join the action? Sorry, you can’t take the nearest waypoint because it’s contested. Grind your way through half a zone please (it feels immensely ironic in a strictly PvE world where mindless zerg is THE solution to everything anyway).

Combat is dumbed down and awkward. Even though you can channel some skills on the run it still feels less fluid than in other MMO. Ranged skills are mostly OK but melee is a constant pain with low FOV (tunnel vision) and camera going crazy in tight spaces.

The promised absence of gear progression was just one big lie. Finer nuances put aside it’s still your old trusty treadmill where new gear obsoletes old (e.g. berserker’s assassin’s).

The entire WvW is actually 2 no so large maps, ‘nuff said. Oh yeah, they promise to add another one. Hey fellow player do you feel like a dog waiting for a bone?

I’m sure I would have some nice words to add about SPvP but I just can’t be bothered to do any serious PvP in a game where all kinds of hacks are easily available (zoom hack, speed hack, free teleport, noclip you name it).

TL;DR: GW2 is an extremely grindy MMO that adds nothing, absolutely nothing new to the genre. Same s..t, different game.
  92. Dec 18, 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is gorgeous, very fun to play and definitely very different to the plethora of other MMO's out there. It is undoubtedly among the best. You are able to jump as well as swim, leading to very interesting ideas such as jumping puzzles and huge explorable underwater areas.

The cons: Skill simplicity and lack of customisation. This is especially apparent after having played

The cons:

Skill simplicity and lack of customisation. This is especially apparent after having played the original guild wars. Having your skillset predetermined by what weapon you are holding feels very restrictive, and ultimately you tire of always using the same skills. I understand that this was done to reduce complexity, but instead there should be a larger set of skills predetermined by your weapon, from within which you select what skills you would like to use. There doesn't have to be many, just enough to give you the freedom to choose your own play style.

Players who play more have access to better gear. This was not the case in the original guild wars, which rewarded extensive gameplay instead with better looking gear, rather than with superior stats.

The lack of skill customisation leads to PvP feeling somewhat restricted. You will immediately know most of the skills that your enemy is about to use against you based on their profession and weapon chioce.
  93. Dec 15, 2013
    I am impressed. After putting some hours into it and understanding some of the basics. I think I have a good feel on most of the game. I like how the map layout is just so the way it is. Enemies are scattered all over the place and keep their distances for the most part. The automated leveling up on everything was a great idea but i think the player should choose if or not to. When you goI am impressed. After putting some hours into it and understanding some of the basics. I think I have a good feel on most of the game. I like how the map layout is just so the way it is. Enemies are scattered all over the place and keep their distances for the most part. The automated leveling up on everything was a great idea but i think the player should choose if or not to. When you go into a too high leveled area, the game will sometimes set the level right where it should be so its comfortable enough to sit back and level up all day long. I think 8/10 should do it. Good game. Expand
  94. Dec 11, 2013
    Just a fantastic MMO,with all new features of the modern MMOs.
    Gameplay one of the best of that kind of games.
    Music, the OST binds with the scenes very well,and its adaptive too
  95. Dec 8, 2013
    Fantastic visual look and music. A great atmosphere and feel as you are introduced to the game. Quests well done. The overall setup with the pvp and public events add a level of dynamics that are missing from some other MMOs today. I've been in the midst of trying many different games the past 6 months and this one was one of the best.
  96. Dec 5, 2013
    This is by far the most fun MMORPG I've played to date. I kept myself busy and entertained for months, and since there is no subscription fee, I'll be back to play again when I get the MMO bug again. Dungeon Crawlers are my favorite genre, so maybe I'm just expecting too much out of an item system and the overall story presentation, but I feel like there was more to be expected from theThis is by far the most fun MMORPG I've played to date. I kept myself busy and entertained for months, and since there is no subscription fee, I'll be back to play again when I get the MMO bug again. Dungeon Crawlers are my favorite genre, so maybe I'm just expecting too much out of an item system and the overall story presentation, but I feel like there was more to be expected from the game on these aspects. Don't get me wrong, the lore for the world and the various weapon and armor skins were amazing, but the voice acting counterbalanced the interesting lore, and the lack of interesting items left the item hunt feeling a bit lackluster. Those problems being taken into consideration, and I still give it a 7/10. Expand
  97. Dec 2, 2013
    A great game, well deserved of the 10 points. It has gone through many changes since it first was launched and it is now more entriguing than ever before. Check it out.
  98. Dec 2, 2013
    I really don't know about this game. It is not bad MMO, but it have some really weird parts like: skill system classes could be more interesting (esp. necromancer) underwater combat is total trash, when you wonder in world you complete events you don't even participate and so on.
  99. Nov 27, 2013
    Best mmorpg out there to date. Graphics are stellar the gameplay is smooth and entertaining the old boring questing system is done. There is 0 reasons to pay monthly for a game when something like this is out there.
  100. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is at this point quite horrible. Over one year, nearly no additions. They added 'Living story', a giant flop: achievement grinding for empty rewards, a very very stereotype story. Next to that they are going on to the path to a grind: Ascended gear, Characterbound everything, Crafting... this game is becoming worse every single patch.
  101. Dec 29, 2012
    First off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one dayFirst off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one day and a friend of a friend told me to try out guild wars 2. i bought it and have loved every minute of it. i dont rate games by anything other than fun factor becasue really thats all that matters and gw2 gets a ten. charachter creation is really neat and the world is beautiful. just the art direction and creativity is astounding. the combat is also very very fun. the cool thing is u can just be exploring and all f a sudden a random big event happens and you and a whole bunch of people just go do it gain gold and exp. overall very fun if you are thinking about getting this game you really should i cant see you not having a good time.

prepper out