8.8

1. Jan 19, 2013
    Truly immersive graphics and audio grabs the player and thrusts them into the middle of a explosive steam-punk universe that many gamers have been craving for. This game shines when it is played with friends as crew.
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    I created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don't have to be an aviation nut (I am), you don't have to enjoy steampunk (It helps) and you certainly don't have to dedicate hours (which I sometimes do) to enjoy this title. It's the type of game that you can log in for 30 minutes and leave with someI created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don't have to be an aviation nut (I am), you don't have to enjoy steampunk (It helps) and you certainly don't have to dedicate hours (which I sometimes do) to enjoy this title. It's the type of game that you can log in for 30 minutes and leave with some great memorable game experiences.

I've been beta testing since August, and I have to say, impressed is an understatement. The Muse Games team has a real gem of a game and here's why:

1. Voice Feature. Sounds simple, but really, how many games do you play today that has a push to talk feature built into the game? This voice feature really enhances the game experience and promotes dialogue among strangers. This is worth it's weight in gold.

2. Continual improvements. While this game just left Beta, that doesn't mean the team is slowing down, they are constantly adding new content, new maps and are focusing on producing a persistent DLC adventure mode. 3. Balancing. Ships feel well balanced, as does the logistics, the development team is doing a great job of addressing player concerns on a case by case basis. There is room for improvement, but as is, the game feels polished and engaging. The one point I'd dock is for lack of an ability to fire on another ship with a blunderbuss or a pistol. I hope they re-evaluate there position on this, but as it stands, this is a ship-to-ship strategy game.

4. Graphics and Audio. Pump that settings up to high and fly your way through a very beautiful world. Muse has created some very interesting environments that allows for some very fun gameplay options. When your in there world, you feel immersion, excitement and drama.

5. Developer Team. Very small but very connected to the community, they listen and they respond to the tester team, they continually improve the game and they keep a very transparent policy when it comes to artistic direction, technical specs and resolving issues. I see this team growing along with there wonderful concept of a game.

Now go buy the game and see what I'm talking about. You will not regret it.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    Such a great game. A few of my friends and I got the game at the same time and are having a blast. The game is super easy to learn, and is some of the coolest gameplay I've ever seen. Teamwork is a must, so if you don't have buddies to play with, it might not be the best game for you. My only complaint is that the in-game costumes for your character cost real money.
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is loads of fun with friends. We spend hours just playing this game when we all have free time, and its great. Clothing is a little over priced, and I'd like to see more ships and more guns, but this would only be icing on the cake. A solid game through and through.
  5. Jan 1, 2013
    Airships battles in a steampunk setting and a focus on coordinated teamwork. Does that sound interesting? Well let me tell you more. There are 3 character classes, pilot, gunner and engineer, each which a primary role. Respectively: steering the ship, manning the guns, and repairing damaged parts. Now, when you start playing a match, you can't switch classes anymore (for obvious balancingAirships battles in a steampunk setting and a focus on coordinated teamwork. Does that sound interesting? Well let me tell you more. There are 3 character classes, pilot, gunner and engineer, each which a primary role. Respectively: steering the ship, manning the guns, and repairing damaged parts. Now, when you start playing a match, you can't switch classes anymore (for obvious balancing reasons), but fortunately you get the option to multitask. You can freely run around the ships while you fly and are not stuck doing the same thing every time. If there's no need for repairing, an engineer can for instance quickly man a gun. Each class gets to choose 3 skills or tools for its own specialization, and one for the other two types. For instance, when being an engineer, you can pick 3 engineer perks, one gunner perk and one pilot perk. That way you're never completely useless taking over another role briefly, something which I really like. Now let's talk about the ships, seeing as they're the stars of this game. Each vessel is customizable to a certain degree. There a 6 different types of ship you can choose from. They range from quick but frail to sturdy but sluggish and several variations in between. They're all layed out differently as well, forcing you to learn the pro's and cons and how to get around on each one if you want to get good at the game. This isn't just important for defensive purposes like knowing the best route around the ship to get to a damaged part, but also to know what to aim for as a gunner, and what to steer clear from as a pilot. The goldfish for instance has its heaviest gun on the front. So you have to either try and stay at its side or be able to decommission the main cannon to stay out of harm's way. That brings me to the ship customization. There are a fixed number of weapon slots on each ship, predetermined for heavy or lighter gun types. While you can't just put any heavy cannon randomly on your ship, you do get to choose between various different guns for each slot. A fun setup for instance, is getting a lighter ship and having a heavy lumberjack cannon on the front, which does extra damage to balloons and also put some flamethrowers on the side. That way you can swoop in, cripple your enemy's vessel by forcing them into a descend, and then turn up above and around them and burn the ever living hell out of their ship. This will set their equipment on fire so any repairs are hampered, forcing them to keep plummeting and smash into the ground underneath! This is especially handy to take down the very sturdy but sluggish galleon type ship, as their main guns are on the lower sides and they would have a hard time aiming upwards at you while you burn them. It is well balanced however. This approach isn't going to be that effective when you take on more agile ships. People who complain that this game's not very tactical clearly don't have a grasp of the mechanics. In fact, if you fly into battle with no clue as to what you're doing, you're going to get crushed. But despite the learning curve, it's still tons of fun. Especially when you have a good crew going and have a mic. Another plus is that there's a built in voice chat with two channels: one for your own ship's crew, and one for all ships on your team. Pretty damn handy. I do have some very minor gripes with the game. It tends to crash to desktop every so often. However, the loading times are incredibly short and there's even a quick re-join button on the main menu that gets you right back into the match. If you crash it might literally only take 30 seconds to get back to your crew. Another thing is that the spawning might get a little glitchy for a few seconds, graphically. I think it has to do with the way the game loads. I've had the odd ship part glitching out too, but nothing too terrible. Actually, I've encountered very few game-breaking bugs overall. Another low note is the character progression, there isn't really much to say right now. Since the latest update you can level up your classes by doing various challenges. However, the only thing that you can unlock right now are costume pieces, which means that if you're going into the game as a complete newbie, you're going to have all the abilities and tools that a veteran player has. I can't think of anything more fair than that. I kind of regret not having the possibility to create a more personalized character model though. While you can also buy costumes from the (real) cash shop, there's very little in terms of facial editing. I ended up getting a (admittedly awesome looking) gas mask for my male avatar, because of it. The developers also promised to keep adding more content in the future and up 'till now, they've definitely kept their promises. You can also often see them online in the regional chat in the main lobby, actively conversing with the players. Concluding: I definitely recommend this one! Expand
  6. Jan 30, 2013
    Fantastic game. It deserves all the support it can get. Great mechanics, a lot of action, superior teamwork. Most importantly, devs are in constant communication with players.

Metacritic's score does not do justice to the game. In fact, I think their policies are opaque and skewed. There are tons of great reviews out there for this game and they're not even here. Screw Metacritic and GET THIS GAME NOW!!!
  7. Dec 2, 2012
    I've never heard of this game before, until yesterday, and i'm in love. The steampunk art-style is well designed and fit perfectly, remind me of Treasure Planet. The felling of the guns are good and the felling of driving the ship is even better.
    Except few bugs this game is perfect, find a couple of friends to play with, open Teamspeak and have fun.
  8. Jan 29, 2013
    A fantastic game where 4-player crews can fight other ships in the steampunk skies of a far off future. My favorite class in the Engineer, where it's your job to keep your ship in the air and put out almost every fire (and there will be fire, trust me). You can either compete with out crews by capturing points on the maps or just shooting each other out of the skies. If you're a fan ofA fantastic game where 4-player crews can fight other ships in the steampunk skies of a far off future. My favorite class in the Engineer, where it's your job to keep your ship in the air and put out almost every fire (and there will be fire, trust me). You can either compete with out crews by capturing points on the maps or just shooting each other out of the skies. If you're a fan of co-op, steampunk futures, airships or all three, this is the game for you. Expand
  9. Dec 18, 2012
    graphics are beautiful! good 3D, nice composite, animation is really stylish! when i just started it was not easy to get into, but later it gets addicting!! when you play with friends it's the best!
  10. Jan 30, 2013
    An incredibly beautiful project and original gameplay. Guns of Icarus Online one of my favorite releases from the past few months. It's incredible to see such a highly polished game produced in Unity. I always login to play a quick match, but find myself addicted for hours, screaming at my crew and having a complete blast! If you have 3 gamer friends and need a great game to play, thisAn incredibly beautiful project and original gameplay. Guns of Icarus Online one of my favorite releases from the past few months. It's incredible to see such a highly polished game produced in Unity. I always login to play a quick match, but find myself addicted for hours, screaming at my crew and having a complete blast! If you have 3 gamer friends and need a great game to play, this game is a must. Expand
  11. Jan 30, 2013
    As a Steampunk fan, it doesn't get much better than the retro-futurism of Guns of Icarus Online. While not High Victorian gaslight fiction, the post-apocalyptic setting has plenty of exploding airships, intricate Gatling guns, and dapper aeronauts clothed in leather and canvas. The pace is hectic, and the amount of coordinated teamwork necessary for victory makes for a satisfyingAs a Steampunk fan, it doesn't get much better than the retro-futurism of Guns of Icarus Online. While not High Victorian gaslight fiction, the post-apocalyptic setting has plenty of exploding airships, intricate Gatling guns, and dapper aeronauts clothed in leather and canvas. The pace is hectic, and the amount of coordinated teamwork necessary for victory makes for a satisfying multiplayer experience. Playing with friends, with voice chat enabled, is very enjoyable. The firefights are intense, but its also nice to sit back and watch the scenery go by in the calm before the storm. The artwork that surrounds you is detailed and full of atmosphere. Little touches, like film grain and post processing effects, really add to the experience and make it feel like you are part of an old film. It's a little rough around the edges, but a fun time overall. Expand
  12. Jan 31, 2013
    AWESOME GAME!
    Finally, a game that relies on teamwork and strategy, like an action packed game of chess. Super addictive and thrilling. So many interesting maps and play modes. Love the stylized art and animation.
    HURRY UP AND JOIN MY CREW!
  13. May 13, 2013
    This game deserves a 10/10.
    This game deserves a 10/10.
    It has great creativity in every ship, suit and weapon's. The game is quite a bit of content for a little 10$ since it is on sale on steam. People seem to complain to much about things that are extremely small, for example the in-game shop that allows players to change their characters look, for 5$ you can get a complete outfit for yourself and your class, but this is not in any way going to give you any unfair advantage, purely cosmetic. Aside from that they are working on expanding the game for free! An adventure mode that allows you to interact with NPC's creating great quest's that interact with other opposing city's. For more information check their website, they are an incredible team.
  14. May 25, 2013
    The official score for this is waaaay too low! I haven't had this much fun working together with my team since the L4D games! No lie! This game is flying way under the radar! I score this as a perfect 10, yes it has some bugs to be worked out but in this day in age, by the time most of you read this they would have been worked out.

I love this game so much i created an account to give

I love this game so much i created an account to give Muse their much deserved props! 64 is a terrible score for such an innovative well designed game. With adventure mode on the way, and plenty of other things the future for this game and it's developer is very bright indeed! The classes work well, the controls are tight, the visuals are very nice, and it also runs perfect on a low end system such as mine.

The music is nice and ques in and out when it seems to fit the situation best, all of the sound effects are spot on. Communication in this game is the key to victory. Captains will have to talk to their crew, and the crew will have to relay enemy positions to the captain. Captains can even talk with other captains using the C key to keep the team up to speed and coordinate attacks and defense.

I could go on and on about the things that make this game an absolute blast to either pick up and play for 20 minutes, or set aside a weekend with some friends for non stop competitive mayhem! This game has my FULL support and respect! Well done muse!
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    Just bought it during a Steam sale. I regret not buying it sooner, even at full price. Such an amazing concept very well executed. The community is awesome, so many people have mics.
  16. Aug 11, 2013
    Guns of Icarus is a modern masterpiece tackling a style of game play that few have ever tried and most have failed. The game is imersive and beautiful with very in depth mechanics, definitely a game to be played with friends for some all out fun.
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    This game deserves so much batter that just a 64! It is just great in any way! The teamplay is really well implemented via the voicechat and the different chat-rooms.
    If you search for a game which requires a ton of teamplay and communication you are welcomed to a friendly community with the most easy start you can have in a team-game.
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    Love it lots of fun. Good to see a new and original concept for a game. some annoying bugs which the devs are working on, other than that its a great game.
  19. May 15, 2014
    Played one game so far, and absolutely in love with it.
    Exactly what you want to expect in a airship battle game.

Control your own airship, fly it the way you want to with a crew in a FPS style and setting.
    Do battle with random people and fight your way with friends.

If I sound like I am advertising this game, then good got it from the Indie Bundle and absolutely loving it.
  20. Mar 26, 2013
    Very original game.

Very original game.

I am no fan of the Unity engine but this game makes it look good. Teamwork, Teamwork and Teamwork. If you like to work with a team of people then this is the game for you. Lone wolf players really have no hope of getting anywhere in this game. The community is great at welcoming and helping new players. You will need some help and advice when you start playing this game so make sure you jump on a crew that is using voice communication.
  21. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very good Indie-Steampunk-Teambased Game. It´s easy to find Teams and if you have a Headset, it´s easy to communicate. The Ingame-Voicechat is easy to use and mostly works, if u have experienced Players, which understand the game.

The Game is easy to learn, but hard to master!
  22. May 15, 2013
    Amazing game! Different ships, weapons, and character upgrades work together to make for many different strategies whether it is sticking back picking other ships off from a distance or running up and close in a speedy ship in hit and run missions or just bashing your way through on the tank of a ship absorbing damage but being a sitting duck compared to the more maneuverable and quickerAmazing game! Different ships, weapons, and character upgrades work together to make for many different strategies whether it is sticking back picking other ships off from a distance or running up and close in a speedy ship in hit and run missions or just bashing your way through on the tank of a ship absorbing damage but being a sitting duck compared to the more maneuverable and quicker ships. All the weapons and ships seem to be pretty well balanced, The important thing is that the four person crew works together. Voice chat is a plus and the in game voice chat makes that easy. Every now and then you get someone in a pick up game who refuses to work together but all in all the community seems to be very friendly and helpful in getting new players into the game and comfortable with the roles they choose. Combat is a good mix of frantic gunning repairing and piloting one minute then short breather and doing it all over again. Strategy lovers may enjoy the strategy and planning that goes in equipping their ship out with different combinations of weapons to meet different situations then the challenge of piloting their ship to get off the perfect broadside or hit and run strike on a heavier armed vessel. Expand
  23. May 20, 2013
    This is a fantastic team based game. The way you have to work together with your drew to win against your opponents is done very well. The graphics are beautiful, this game achieves an amazing feel of a steampunk world. The community is also great, people are very friendly and willing to help teach you to improve. Playing with friends is a major plus but not necessary. The developers alsoThis is a fantastic team based game. The way you have to work together with your drew to win against your opponents is done very well. The graphics are beautiful, this game achieves an amazing feel of a steampunk world. The community is also great, people are very friendly and willing to help teach you to improve. Playing with friends is a major plus but not necessary. The developers also listen to the players and are always working on more content for the game. The only this that has kept me from giving this a 10/10 is that there are some improvements that could be made to the lobby system, like the ability to make parties with friends and queue up together, but that is it really. Expand
  24. Jul 24, 2013
    I've been playing Guns of Icarus since shortly after it's beta, and seen it grow tremendously in that time. Although the game has a brutal learning curve, the reason that curve is so high has more to do with learning to co-operate with the small team crewing the ship with you then it does with the actual gameplay.

Guns features outstanding visual, sound, and gameplay, and packages them

Guns features outstanding visual, sound, and gameplay, and packages them together in such a way that wining or losing comes down to team work first, and experience a close second. Every ship handles differently, and it took an investment of around 15 hours for me to get over the steep curve and really begin to enjoy flying the skies.

I can honestly say that I have had more fun in one 45 minute match with Guns that anything else I have played, ever. When your team is really on, it's like winning a superbowl.

I won't bother to review the 3 different classes, or how each ship differs, or what gun is the shiniest, all that really needs to be said here is this: If you are looking for an online, co-operative experience, you owe it to yourself to join this fantastic community.
  25. Jul 30, 2013
    This is a fantastic co-op game with your buddies as you struggle to maneuver and rebuild your zeppelin. Even if you're playing with random people, I found that they were helpful and informative. A big complaint I have with this game is that the tutorial is pretty poor because they only teach you the very basics of the game, but with a little bit of digging and asking around you couldThis is a fantastic co-op game with your buddies as you struggle to maneuver and rebuild your zeppelin. Even if you're playing with random people, I found that they were helpful and informative. A big complaint I have with this game is that the tutorial is pretty poor because they only teach you the very basics of the game, but with a little bit of digging and asking around you could figure it all out. The lack of people is another issue, although it's not too much of a game issue it really can hurt a multiplayer only game, but even with the low amount of servers this I never find a problem in finding a game. I haven't experienced this myself or haven't realized it, but I found it worth mentioning that the developers play there game often and you can chat with them about the game, which is pretty cool. (Got that info from a friend who players the game.) About the low ratings, it's due to the fact that this game started off really buggy and glitchy but has since then been fixed and works perfectly fine. (at least to my knowledge.) In general, I really like this game and it's worth picking up, especially since it goes on sale a ton on steam. (Currently 66% off.) Expand
  26. Aug 4, 2013
    I find this game thrilling and addictive to play. I am really looking forward to the promised adventure mode. Every game is different from the last which is a really good aspect of the game. This game is best if you have a couple of friends to take to the skies with you as it make the co op side of the game much easier. It doesn't matter if you don't have friends to team up with the gameI find this game thrilling and addictive to play. I am really looking forward to the promised adventure mode. Every game is different from the last which is a really good aspect of the game. This game is best if you have a couple of friends to take to the skies with you as it make the co op side of the game much easier. It doesn't matter if you don't have friends to team up with the game has a great integrated voice chat system which makes co op 10 times easier. The great thing about each class (pilot gunner engineer) is they can do the other classes jobs i.e a pilot's and gunners can repair but they do not have a ll the tools so they may not be able to deal with a fire for example. The game looks great. Expand
  27. Aug 6, 2013
    The moment I saw this game, my head nearly exploded. It is the ultimate combo of steam-punk, team-play, role-play, and shoot 'em up. The general idea of the game is already enough to make most people to at least try it out. I hope the developers can create more amazing games such as this one.
  28. Aug 8, 2013
    I absolutely love this game and no matter what critics think i will always love it. its got great unique game play. The Co op is brilliant with friends or alone and no matter what position you pick the game you play will be completely different.
  29. Aug 11, 2013
    Get a good crew together and there's nothing quite like it. It's a genuinely unique game, spectacularly presented and easy enough to pick up once you've read a short guide or two. Teamwork is a must though; playing on your own, with a crew that won't listen leads to nothing but frustration, but when you're working together, patching balloons up in the nick of time and knocking dirigiblesGet a good crew together and there's nothing quite like it. It's a genuinely unique game, spectacularly presented and easy enough to pick up once you've read a short guide or two. Teamwork is a must though; playing on your own, with a crew that won't listen leads to nothing but frustration, but when you're working together, patching balloons up in the nick of time and knocking dirigibles out the sky with a perfectly placed mortar volley, it's absolutely phenomenal. Expand
  30. Oct 21, 2013
    Really great game, nice graphics, not too many bugs and it's really good to have a ship with friends and fight against other people! Also it doesn't cost alot,
  31. Dec 21, 2013
    Great Game, was concerned at first that i couldn't run it because i have a crappy laptop but it actually runs completely smooth and the graphics aren't bad either. Will say you need friends to play it, so buy the four pack which is cheaper technically if you can. As far as matchmaking and server stability goes: Firstly, matchmaking works in that you can form your crew before hand and up toGreat Game, was concerned at first that i couldn't run it because i have a crappy laptop but it actually runs completely smooth and the graphics aren't bad either. Will say you need friends to play it, so buy the four pack which is cheaper technically if you can. As far as matchmaking and server stability goes: Firstly, matchmaking works in that you can form your crew before hand and up to four ships worth of people which means you can search for games with a pre-made party of 16 people (ships do not need to be full btw). Finding a Lobby that fills up quickly depends on how many people you brought in but in my experience with usually one boat full of people it can take from being immediate to up to around 5 minutes which is pretty fast. Secondly, the server stability is pretty good, only had a friend lag out once and sometimes i would get a lag spike but it only lasts a couple seconds and maybe happens once or twice every other game (matches are longish, so ten seconds worth of lag in a ten minute game is not too bad).

Also, if you wanna be a pilot in this game you may want to use a controller (which I use) because according to my friends controlling the ship with keys is incredibly difficult due to the multiple awkward key positions you need to use.

As far as game-play goes, whatever you thought this game was gonna be by looking at it, is what it is exactly and works perfectly as intended. Teamwork is a necessity for success, and each class gets a different perspective but in the end everyone feels like they were a big part of a victory. The game is a little bare bones at the moment in regards to map variety (only three maps), game modes (only 2 i know of), and the level up system only adds items for your characters aesthetics. However the devs seem to be working on that and a new patch is coming soon with content. Also at the time being. the core of what you want from this game is there, there is a decent amount of class customization options, and a great amount of ships and ship weapon customization to choose from.

Overall its great game that i would recommend for people with friends to play it with. Definitely try to purchase it now while its on sale.
  32. Dec 23, 2013
    For those who crave co-op gameplay and a steampunk environment, this is the game. It has a fantastic steampunk/dieselpunk flavor with the outfits, airsips and weaponry that just feels so perfect. The graphics are very good with fantastic artwork, though no cutting edge technology. It offers a built-in voice chat to allow for cooperation between 4-man crews, so no need for Vent or TS orFor those who crave co-op gameplay and a steampunk environment, this is the game. It has a fantastic steampunk/dieselpunk flavor with the outfits, airsips and weaponry that just feels so perfect. The graphics are very good with fantastic artwork, though no cutting edge technology. It offers a built-in voice chat to allow for cooperation between 4-man crews, so no need for Vent or TS or whatever. My only quibbles with the game are somewhat anemic and occasionally muffled gun sounds and no real clan support beyond letting you add a clan tag. Otherwise it's top notch. The game is around $5 on Steam go get it. Expand
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    This game provides hours upon hours of competitive, complex entertainment that only few could get tired of. Customize your player, airship, and take to the high skies as either a mechanic, gunner, or pilot. Your loadouts and skill will lead you to victory or certain defeat. Numerous maps, achievements, and tons more to enjoy, one can easily spend hundreds of hours competing for victory inThis game provides hours upon hours of competitive, complex entertainment that only few could get tired of. Customize your player, airship, and take to the high skies as either a mechanic, gunner, or pilot. Your loadouts and skill will lead you to victory or certain defeat. Numerous maps, achievements, and tons more to enjoy, one can easily spend hundreds of hours competing for victory in this action-packed, thrill & skill based title: Guns of Icarus. Expand
  34. Jan 10, 2014
    Guns of Icarus Online is a fun multiplayer experience, most enjoyable with a good-working team of friends. It has a heavy teamplay and coordination focus, not only among the crew on your ship, but also other ships you play with. The game certainly needs polish, but the dev's improve the game regularly (for which I grant them a +1 to the score).
  35. May 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.

This game is an incredibly immersive experience. Several different ships that you'll need to learn the ins and outs of, the weaponry, tools, pilot and gunner slots.

This game has a very high skill floor and skill ceiling, as every weapon you use has it's own arc, pattern, and momentum inheritance. Making just about every single shot you take require about as much skill as the next weapon. Not to mention that every weapon has their own unique damage types, some doing well at damaging certain areas of the enemy ships.

This game features no progression system to get any new ships, weapons, tools, or slots. All of that is given to you at the start. There is an achievement and leveling system, and there are cosmetic rewards for earning those achievements and levels, as well as badges and prefix titles.

Expect to wait in lobby's for anywhere between 10-30+ minutes. It takes time to build several crews! Thankfully, alt-tabbing won't crash you on most computers, so feel free to listen to some music. Or bring a gameboy while you wait in the lobby.

The artwork is incredible as is the steampunk setting. The amount of cosmetics and dyes you can either purchase or earn will allow you to give your character a unique and stylish look so that you don't feel like some copy/paste clone.

If you enjoy games that give you all the tools you need to succeed in the beginning. Absolutely no pay to win system, as well as a very well-made and well-balanced steampunk airship crew-style game. with a very high skill ceiling. You will love this. A lot.
  36. May 16, 2014
    I love it, addictive, fun and nice community just wish it had a single player campaign... The idea behind it is awesome just think I would be fun exploring more of the world...
  37. Feb 24, 2013
    Great little team work pvp game, the nature of the floating platforms means you need a fair bit of skill to hit your target and a very good pilot to keep you steady its quite superb
  38. Mar 2, 2013
    This game is an intense steampunk game. It has got some bugs but I use Linux for it so that might be the case. The game has no stop action once I come off it I’m straight back on it again even though some of the prices are over priced their still cheaper than team fortress 2
  39. Apr 28, 2013
    It's very rare to enjoy a match. Lag spikes are very often and ruin the fun and the worst of all is that captains have NO control over their crew. If I can't find three friends matches are no fun at all because everyone wants to play as a gunner. I would prefer to have the AI play an engy instead of having two gunners in a ship that doesn't need two gunners.

Very bad design choices.

Very bad design choices. Give captains a way to pick classes for and kick members of their crew else you are limiting this game to those that are able to form groups of 4 friends.
  40. May 4, 2013
    High quality fun game.

If you are looking for a squad team based game which a little bit different from the rest I would suggest Guns of Icarus Online. Looking forward to adventure mode.
  41. Jul 15, 2013
    This game is a jewel that is highly underrated and underplayed. The general concept is that you and three others man a Steampunk airship of various set types (of which you can customise the loadout of to your choosing) and take them to glorious battle.
    You chose from one of three classes: Pilot, who flies the ship; Gunner, who shoots stuff; and Engineer, who keeps the ship in the air by repairing damage.
    Overall, the sheer focus on teamwork is what makes the game great. In this game, more than most, a team who communicates and works together will almost all the time prevail against a team that does not. If you are at all interested in this quite unique game, you should definitely try it out.
  42. Aug 20, 2013
    A truly impressive title. This game is one of a kind, emphasizing teamwork in a way that only a three-legged race could before it. In any other "team game" I've played, you still kill players, and each player has a k/d of his own. Not so with Guns of Icarus.

Each kill is a ship destroying another ship, not a gunner gunning down the pilot or something. Every ship requires teamwork to fly, repair, and gun. While the beginner random matches are still fun, this game really shines if you join one of the many clans or teams for GOI, and start practicing with that group.

Then, Guns of Icarus Online becomes a search for perfection. You and your crew try to work as one unit, as a united ship, the ultimate goal being to basically merge into that one fighting unit.

This game includes beautiful steampunk/deiselpunk maps set after a catastrophic World War I that never ended. The ships are amazingly well designed, both for gameplay and for visuals. The guns feel powerful and handle well, ranging from the close-range shotgun weapon, the carronade, best at destroying the enemy balloon, to everyone's favorite Manticore Heavy Hwatcha, a 20-missile barrage that can utterly destroy every gun and engine on a ship if aimed right. (Oh, and it has a lion head, and looks epic. Possibly the most satisfying weapon to fire.)

But gunning isn't all there is to Guns of Icarus. On the flip side, it is the Engineer's job to fix the damage those enemy gunners do. Being an engineer is a frantic duty, and after a few hwatcha barrages, and everything turns red (completely destroyed, needs to be rebuilt from scratch), you'll find you have quite a task. Playing engineer is very rewarding though, and not something you see in a ton of games.

If that wasn't enough, Muse Games, the devs, are currently developing an adventure mode, placing the battles we currently have in a living post-apocalyptic world where factions fight among themselves for scarce resources.

The devs are super committed to this game and all their players. Not many games actually have the devs playing in the weekly scrimmage league or holding free matches against them, where if the enemy wins, they get free hats. You often see a blue name in chat answering questions about the game and trying to help out as many folks as they can. Every single email I've ever sent them has been answered within the same day, by a human, with very helpful advice. They are amazing.

In summary, buy the game. It's amazing.
  43. Aug 21, 2013
    Grab 2-4 friends, chose tasks and have fun. It looks, sounds and feels amazing. Incredibly immersive Guns of Icarus will make you feel like you're actually on the ship. Each role(Engineer, Gunner and Pilot) always feel needed and you never feel left out. My only quarrel with Guns of Icarus Online is you'll find people will leave games very easily; but this isn't the developers fault and itGrab 2-4 friends, chose tasks and have fun. It looks, sounds and feels amazing. Incredibly immersive Guns of Icarus will make you feel like you're actually on the ship. Each role(Engineer, Gunner and Pilot) always feel needed and you never feel left out. My only quarrel with Guns of Icarus Online is you'll find people will leave games very easily; but this isn't the developers fault and it shouldn't turn you away. Expand
  44. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is a great engaging experience if either if played with friends or played with strangers. The game's music and aesthetic is phenomenal, really setting the mood for hectic airship fights. There are limitless number of strategies and tactics you can use and it leads to some very interesting decision making with friends. My crew and I spent hours just testing out ships in practiceThis game is a great engaging experience if either if played with friends or played with strangers. The game's music and aesthetic is phenomenal, really setting the mood for hectic airship fights. There are limitless number of strategies and tactics you can use and it leads to some very interesting decision making with friends. My crew and I spent hours just testing out ships in practice mode to see what we'd use for each situtation. The three classes have important roles that feel like you're making a difference in the tide of the battle.

At the end of the day, this game is a strategic "airship on airship" gem, and with adventure mode coming out in 2014, my hopes are even higher, not to mention all the upcoming updates that are planned by Muse Games.

This game fills that tactical style of play that other games do not have.
  45. Oct 5, 2013
    The game is far from perfect, but most indie games are, and that's what gives them that unique charm that triple-A titles can't achieve. Guns of Icarus Online is a unique game with a mechanic that I have difficulty describing. There's nothing mainstream to relate it to and that's what makes it incredibly entertaining. The game is built in such a way that it is impossible to "lone wolf' theThe game is far from perfect, but most indie games are, and that's what gives them that unique charm that triple-A titles can't achieve. Guns of Icarus Online is a unique game with a mechanic that I have difficulty describing. There's nothing mainstream to relate it to and that's what makes it incredibly entertaining. The game is built in such a way that it is impossible to "lone wolf' the game. Cooperation with your teammates is vital, something mainstream games often fail to achieve. Guns of Icarus Online will continue to grow as a game and community for quite some time, and the Adventure Mode is just over the horizon. Expand
  46. Oct 9, 2013
    A boatload of fun. Cooperation surely needed and I love that!!! Not quite sure what game the "critics" were playing........ They were probably high or not very bright, maybe both.
  47. Dec 15, 2013
    This is a really nice game, the community is amazing and it's a great TF2 supplement. The gameplay mechanics are on spot. The graphics are nice too but I kinda have an outdated processor so I can imagine it's better than what I see =P. You can customize just about anything on the character and this game is blessed with having low prices. I recommend this =3
  48. Dec 19, 2013
    Guns of Icarus is very different from any game out there, because of that it goes into the love it or hate it kind of category. It is important however to note that unless you are playing with people you know and communicating with, it can be quite frustrating. The dev team stated that they wanted the game to be the most co-op game ever, and they succeeded. If you team isn't workingGuns of Icarus is very different from any game out there, because of that it goes into the love it or hate it kind of category. It is important however to note that unless you are playing with people you know and communicating with, it can be quite frustrating. The dev team stated that they wanted the game to be the most co-op game ever, and they succeeded. If you team isn't working together then you will probably lose, unless the other team is as unorganized. That said, it is an amazing game experience you can't get anywhere else. Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2013
    Très bon jeux!!! Je le recommande tous ceux qui aiment les batailles dans les airs! Vous aimerez coup sûr. en rabais sur steam en ce moment pas cher. Le but est de détruire le bateau qui vole dans les airs de l'ennemis.
  50. Jan 10, 2014
    Coop on the ship, teamplay with ships on own team, competitive gameplay against humans - what would you want more? A more polished engine, no lag spikes and such things, but for an indy game it's quite allright. The Devs of MUSE Games are awesome aswell. No new content for ages, but still the one game I play.
  51. Mar 16, 2014
    An absolutely magnificent piece of work. An original and engaging game, Guns of Icarus Online is an absolute thrill to play either with strangers in its matchmaking mode or with your own crew of steampunk rogues.

There's really nothing like dashing in and out of pitched battle raining fire in your Squid, opening up a full broadside barrage with a Galleon or dashing in headlong with a Pyramidion, putting your navigational skills and cunning to the test.

How about dashing to and fro, making your way through the inner corridors of a mighty Mobula, dousing fires and repairing damage as you, your toolkit and your technical ingenuity become the only things keeping the great beast afloat?

Or maybe that's not your style. No, leave the fiddling about to the wrench jockeys. The gunner's for you. Be it taking your enemies apart piece by piece with the deadly accuracy of the Mercury Field Gun, or simply letting loose with a gatling gun like Reb Brown (screaming optional but encouraged). Break out the big guns and fire off a few dozen missiles with the Manticore Hwacha, or turn their balloon to shredded cloth with the colossal Lumberjack mortar. If you're feeling particularly nasty, perhaps use incendiary rounds. Need one massive blast in a pinch? Let them have it with a single massive Lochnagar blast. The choice is yours, and there's plenty of it.

Whatever your preference, you're sure to find a role in the best, most cohesive teamwork I've ever seen in a game since the release of Artemis. Make no mistake, though. In the words of Malcolm Reynolds, only a fool don't know that his family's his crew, and if you haven't joined up with your own, you'd best make friends fast, or there's no way you'll survive.

The only reason I've ranked this a ten is because I can't rank it higher.
  52. May 17, 2014
    Heyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game isHeyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game is better than Air Bucaneers in many-many ways. It runs great, looks great (especially compared to other Unity Engine games) and is very enjoyable with a group of friends. :) Expand
  53. May 18, 2014
    The game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finallyThe game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finally use something. You can log in, play for an hour, have fun and then log out. You remember? Like games where before everything had to have a bloody progress bar. Expand
  54. May 28, 2014
    One of the best game I played in a long time! I don't like steam punk at all... well this game is so well executed and the gameplay is so rich that I don't even notice it. The game si for MAC, PC and LINUX so there's no excuses to not play it.
  55. Jun 21, 2014
    Beautiful design, the devs have an awesome integrity towards the game, the game isn't finished and will only get better, also once you get into it, you'll never want to stop playing. All rolls on the ship keep the stimulated and it's very enjoyable, all the way through.
  56. Jun 24, 2014
    It's truly disappointing that some critics cannot see the originality behind this game. GOI: Online is like nothing I've ever seen before and it has incredible potential as a game to play with all of your friends. It really deserves more than these biased reviewers.
  57. Jun 26, 2014
    This game absolutely deserves a ten. Incredibly immersive and atmosperhic world and fantastic gameplay with lots of planning and teamwork. And it only costs 3,74 euro now on steam.
    If you like games that require thinking and cooperation, do yourself a favour and buy this one, you won't be disapointed. This game beats every BF and all the other kiddie crap any day.
    And while you're at

And while you're at it, do yourself another favour and convince at least two friends to get it as well.
  58. Jul 30, 2014
    I relay like this game, and i think most of the other reviews sum it up very well, but i have a few things to add.
    1. The Bugynis that most "professionals" are mentioning is no longer existent, shure there is the occasional bugs, but they are barley noticeable
    2. It requires a LARGE amount of Co-OP and with out communication and Cooperation you WILL lose and it WILL NOT BE PRETTY
  59. Aug 19, 2014
    This is truly a great game.If you are good with communication and teamwork this is the game for you.This game grabs you into a game of ships and guns/harpoons/cannons.This is a action packed game were (like stated earlier) teamwork is the key.
  60. Dec 5, 2014
    Wow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be moreWow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be more popular. I hope that the critic score isn't affecting that. Expand

There is some fun to be had with this game, and there is definitely a lot of potential given how the game is still evolving even though you can play it now.
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    It's good to see there are still developers who dare to try something different. Because let's be honest..how many zeppelin sims are out there now? Exactly. Guns of Icarus Online offers a fun concept, working together with some random players on a flying fortress, trying to defend it from other, similar foes. Bugs and lag cause major disappointment however. That's a shame, because the idea is great. Let's hope a great amount of patches will deal with these problems.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    Despite its visual beauty and impressive execution, limited gameplay and general bugginess hold everything back. This beast has room to grow. When it does, expect great things. For now, a little turbulence makes for a bumpy ride.