8.9

1. May 25, 2015
    As long as they can continue development and work on balance issues Guns of Icarus was money well spent. It's a shame I found this one so late because it already feels to be slipping.
  2. Mar 7, 2015
    Guns of Icarus Online is an online team skybattle game with the emphasys on team work.
    You can play either deathmatch or capture point modes on 6 completely different ships with a 4-man crew in 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 team matches. Teamwork is extremely important but since the actualy work is pretty straightforward you don't feel burdened.
    Since you can choose the guns you're going to use on

Since you can choose the guns you're going to use on your ship there are a lot of really interesting and often crazy combinations you can try with endless results possible. Not to mention a lot of vanity items being either sold for a small price or freely distributed to players playing certain matches, along with steam workshop support.

One of the things I found extremely intriguing of this game is that bullets have realistic recoil, drop, etc based on their weight, rotation, shape, etc. This makes gunner's job extremely interesting because with different guns you'll have to aim in completely different ways to hit your targets.
    The same goes for ships, you have mass, aceleration, max speed (simulating air friction) and mostly because of this flying a ship is EXTREMELY fun, not to mention strategies and combat tactics.
    What about the last class remaining, engineers, don't they have fun? Yeah they do, putting off fires,trying to repair parts faster than enemy gunners damage they take, etc.

Gameplay aside you have extremely well designed graphic, all post-apocalyptic steampunk flavoured with stunning light effects (which you get to enjoy the most, flying in the skies). Not to mention the music, just a few themes but perfectly fitting the environment. Probably not 10/10 is the sound effect compartment, but still not below 9/10.

Also, the game uses the Unity3D game engine, which means that it virtually supports any known to man device, and the devs did a good job on that so the game works (with cross platform internet play) on MS Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, PlayStation3, ...

This game has (always had) just one big issue, since it's a niche game (actually almost the only of its kind) there are really few players connected at the same time around the world (200~500), still I have to say I never failed to play a match within at most a bunch of minutes from when I started searching for it.

So, well, extremely suggested for everyone: you like chess play and such, go piloting your ship; you like to burst things down with huge cannons, go gunner; you don't like chess play and you're really bad at aiming, go engineer, and keep your crew alive.
  3. Feb 21, 2015
    In all honesty, this is one of the better games I've played in the past 3 years. Games do not keep my interest very easily these days, as I am very picky. I picked up this game on the steam sale, and I'm very glad I did. The ships are very well balanced, each have an up side and down side. Some are a bit harder to play than others, but with teamwork any can work. Don't be fooled by theIn all honesty, this is one of the better games I've played in the past 3 years. Games do not keep my interest very easily these days, as I am very picky. I picked up this game on the steam sale, and I'm very glad I did. The ships are very well balanced, each have an up side and down side. Some are a bit harder to play than others, but with teamwork any can work. Don't be fooled by the retarded critics, who have only played this for about 2 minutes and called it a bad game. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2015
    With all the shooters out there innovation is something that most of them are lacking. Don't get me wrong some shooters have nice features that makes it stand out like Bioshock infinite, l4d2, and others.

So without further a' do, here's Guns Of Icarus Online: the review. The game might look simple on the outside but trust me, it gets messy. In the game you and your fellow mates and

So without further a' do, here's Guns Of Icarus Online: the review.

The game might look simple on the outside but trust me, it gets messy. In the game you and your fellow mates and the opposition are fighting about fifty-thousand yards of soil and by "fighting" everyone builds their own airships and tries to fight each other in the air.

In all honesty though, you and three other people are the crew of a single ship in the team you are currently playing in. You are either the captain (steering the ship), the gunner (best at shootin' folks), or the engineer (keeps the boat afloat)

The hardest one by far is the engineer, as this fine sir/ma'm you're toying aaround with your tools trying to repair all the parts of the ship that have taken too much damage form enemy fire, stormy clouds/sandstorms, or just the captain being a complete idiot and steering the ship into random mountains.

As the gunner you do one thing: SPAM BUHHLETZ!!!1!!. Or you know, stop shooting (and druling) eventually to repair some stuff.

And as the captain you liternally do one thing: Steer the blimp-pirate-ship-battle-thing...... and yell as loudly as possible at your crew because they aren't doing sh- GODAMMIT PETE KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ENEMY FOR ONCE!!!.

.....Anyway here's a summary:

Pros:

1) Soundtrack is immersive and badass.
    2) Mechanics are very different from a lot of other shooters
    3) Coordination is required for a guaranteed victory (this game is heavy on teamwork)
    4) Game is smooth as butter, very responsive and controls great.

Cons:

1) Graphical glitches and lag can ruin your experience.
    2) Hard to "get good" at
    3) Useless cosmetics that can wipe your Steam wallet clean if you aren't "sane"

In other words, this game suprised me with a handful of mechanics that made this game a must-buy in my opinion. The only thing preventing this game form getting a 9/10 is the fact that this has a lot of cosmetics involved, which is something i would like games to leave alone and focus on being a good game on itself to gain money instead of having tons of panties and whatnot.

This game gets the score: "I can dig it"
  5. Dec 5, 2014
    Wow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be moreWow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be more popular. I hope that the critic score isn't affecting that. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2014
    Довольно хорошо сделано!
    Захватывает,100% ко-оп!
    Многообразие дирижаблей и карт!
    Хорошая графика!
    Фоновая музыка есть и не отвлекает!
    Твердая 8!
  7. Aug 19, 2014
    This is truly a great game.If you are good with communication and teamwork this is the game for you.This game grabs you into a game of ships and guns/harpoons/cannons.This is a action packed game were (like stated earlier) teamwork is the key.
  8. Jul 30, 2014
    I relay like this game, and i think most of the other reviews sum it up very well, but i have a few things to add.
    1. The Bugynis that most "professionals" are mentioning is no longer existent, shure there is the occasional bugs, but they are barley noticeable
    2. It requires a LARGE amount of Co-OP and with out communication and Cooperation you WILL lose and it WILL NOT BE PRETTY
  9. Jul 5, 2014
    Original and excellent coop game, epic battles, good community, well balanced, endure the calm before the tempest. It's not just another independent game, it's a really good one ! Choose between 3 classes, many ships et arsenal, pieces of equipment like buff hammer, special ammo. I highly recommend it !
  10. Jun 26, 2014
    This game absolutely deserves a ten. Incredibly immersive and atmosperhic world and fantastic gameplay with lots of planning and teamwork. And it only costs 3,74 euro now on steam.
    If you like games that require thinking and cooperation, do yourself a favour and buy this one, you won't be disapointed. This game beats every BF and all the other kiddie crap any day.
    And while you're at

And while you're at it, do yourself another favour and convince at least two friends to get it as well.
  11. Jun 24, 2014
    It's truly disappointing that some critics cannot see the originality behind this game. GOI: Online is like nothing I've ever seen before and it has incredible potential as a game to play with all of your friends. It really deserves more than these biased reviewers.
  12. Jun 21, 2014
    Beautiful design, the devs have an awesome integrity towards the game, the game isn't finished and will only get better, also once you get into it, you'll never want to stop playing. All rolls on the ship keep the stimulated and it's very enjoyable, all the way through.
  13. May 28, 2014
    One of the best game I played in a long time! I don't like steam punk at all... well this game is so well executed and the gameplay is so rich that I don't even notice it. The game si for MAC, PC and LINUX so there's no excuses to not play it.
  14. May 23, 2014
    The Ambiance of this game adds the reality to the game for as I would hoped it would. This game is a perfect time consumer, but not all fun and games. This particular game requires you to participate in all efforts and challenges the game has to offer. It is also TEAMWORK heavy meaning; no messing around, no shouting commands when you aren't doing squat yourself, and no taking randomThe Ambiance of this game adds the reality to the game for as I would hoped it would. This game is a perfect time consumer, but not all fun and games. This particular game requires you to participate in all efforts and challenges the game has to offer. It is also TEAMWORK heavy meaning; no messing around, no shouting commands when you aren't doing squat yourself, and no taking random positions and accounting for fun on your own time. You need to listen to your team, every word they say matters. Also the reason I gave this game an 8 was because the games dedicated servers are pretty bad. Expand
  15. May 18, 2014
    I bought this game when it was first released in 2012 Oct and after I played some few rounds I have not played this game since. The biggest reason why I did not played this game after is because it requires some serious team communication to even destroy a single ship. Back than I did not have any friends who played this game so maintaining a ship and trying to fight was not so smooth.I bought this game when it was first released in 2012 Oct and after I played some few rounds I have not played this game since. The biggest reason why I did not played this game after is because it requires some serious team communication to even destroy a single ship. Back than I did not have any friends who played this game so maintaining a ship and trying to fight was not so smooth. However recently this game went on sale for $7.50 for 4 copies of the game so i bought two 4 pack bundle and played with 7 of my other friends controlling the 2 ship. I got to say when you have a team communication with your crews and captain of other ship in your team you can have some major fun in this game. It is worth the money you paid for. When you are in the middle of battle screaming for orders from captain and all the explosions happening around you, you will be seriously immersed in this game. Now if you will be playing this game with your friends it is no doubt 9 or even 10/10 but I have got to say it can get frustration and even seem very unfair and brutal if you play by yourself with uncoordinated team. So my final verdict is 8.5 out 10 Expand
  16. May 18, 2014
    The game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finallyThe game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finally use something. You can log in, play for an hour, have fun and then log out. You remember? Like games where before everything had to have a bloody progress bar. Expand
  17. May 17, 2014
    Heyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game isHeyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game is better than Air Bucaneers in many-many ways. It runs great, looks great (especially compared to other Unity Engine games) and is very enjoyable with a group of friends. :) Expand
  18. May 16, 2014
    I love it, addictive, fun and nice community just wish it had a single player campaign... The idea behind it is awesome just think I would be fun exploring more of the world...
  19. May 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.

This game is an incredibly immersive experience. Several different ships that you'll need to learn the ins and outs of, the weaponry, tools, pilot and gunner slots.

This game has a very high skill floor and skill ceiling, as every weapon you use has it's own arc, pattern, and momentum inheritance. Making just about every single shot you take require about as much skill as the next weapon. Not to mention that every weapon has their own unique damage types, some doing well at damaging certain areas of the enemy ships.

This game features no progression system to get any new ships, weapons, tools, or slots. All of that is given to you at the start. There is an achievement and leveling system, and there are cosmetic rewards for earning those achievements and levels, as well as badges and prefix titles.

Expect to wait in lobby's for anywhere between 10-30+ minutes. It takes time to build several crews! Thankfully, alt-tabbing won't crash you on most computers, so feel free to listen to some music. Or bring a gameboy while you wait in the lobby.

The artwork is incredible as is the steampunk setting. The amount of cosmetics and dyes you can either purchase or earn will allow you to give your character a unique and stylish look so that you don't feel like some copy/paste clone.

If you enjoy games that give you all the tools you need to succeed in the beginning. Absolutely no pay to win system, as well as a very well-made and well-balanced steampunk airship crew-style game. with a very high skill ceiling. You will love this. A lot.
  20. May 15, 2014
    Played one game so far, and absolutely in love with it.
    Exactly what you want to expect in a airship battle game.

Control your own airship, fly it the way you want to with a crew in a FPS style and setting.
    Do battle with random people and fight your way with friends.

If I sound like I am advertising this game, then good got it from the Indie Bundle and absolutely loving it.
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    An absolutely magnificent piece of work. An original and engaging game, Guns of Icarus Online is an absolute thrill to play either with strangers in its matchmaking mode or with your own crew of steampunk rogues.

There's really nothing like dashing in and out of pitched battle raining fire in your Squid, opening up a full broadside barrage with a Galleon or dashing in headlong with a Pyramidion, putting your navigational skills and cunning to the test.

How about dashing to and fro, making your way through the inner corridors of a mighty Mobula, dousing fires and repairing damage as you, your toolkit and your technical ingenuity become the only things keeping the great beast afloat?

Or maybe that's not your style. No, leave the fiddling about to the wrench jockeys. The gunner's for you. Be it taking your enemies apart piece by piece with the deadly accuracy of the Mercury Field Gun, or simply letting loose with a gatling gun like Reb Brown (screaming optional but encouraged). Break out the big guns and fire off a few dozen missiles with the Manticore Hwacha, or turn their balloon to shredded cloth with the colossal Lumberjack mortar. If you're feeling particularly nasty, perhaps use incendiary rounds. Need one massive blast in a pinch? Let them have it with a single massive Lochnagar blast. The choice is yours, and there's plenty of it.

Whatever your preference, you're sure to find a role in the best, most cohesive teamwork I've ever seen in a game since the release of Artemis. Make no mistake, though. In the words of Malcolm Reynolds, only a fool don't know that his family's his crew, and if you haven't joined up with your own, you'd best make friends fast, or there's no way you'll survive.

The only reason I've ranked this a ten is because I can't rank it higher.
  22. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a very good game, that would warrant a ten, if it wasn't for the fun that can be taken out of it by bad/ uncooperative teammates

Graphics/sound The game looks and sounds marvelous, little details pop out in the visuals and the sound sounds authentic, this game has some of the best sound effects I have ever heard. Gameplay Piloting, gunning and repairing all work really

Graphics/sound

Gameplay
    Piloting, gunning and repairing all work really well and are fun, and with the right team it can get even more fun, but bad or mainly uncooperative teammates can change that. With an uncooperative teammate on your team, it can ruin the game, because it depends so much on teamwork. if one person refuses to do their job, you're going to lose. But with the right teammates, you can have lots of fun evading and outgunning the enemy.

Value
    The game has high value, you can play it quite a lot before getting bored with it

final score
    8 out of 10, i would give it a nine or ten, but bad teammates ruining the game can be quite a problem, which is to big of a flaw to look over
  23. Jan 16, 2014
    Guns of icarus is a very good co-op game that needs communication. The fact that you will be part of a crew of 5 ( i think ) is a very good factor. Communication in this game is the key to win. The Leader will pilot the ship whilst the powder monkeys will manage the guns and the engineers will repair any damaged parts. The only flaw of the game is there are different game modes but theyGuns of icarus is a very good co-op game that needs communication. The fact that you will be part of a crew of 5 ( i think ) is a very good factor. Communication in this game is the key to win. The Leader will pilot the ship whilst the powder monkeys will manage the guns and the engineers will repair any damaged parts. The only flaw of the game is there are different game modes but they are all identical (You just have to destroy destroy destroy) Its not a boring game at all, but it gets a bit repetitive. One more thing is that players can freely quit the game without any penalty. Graphics are very detailed, you could also customize your character for show. My conclusion: It is a very fun game, good communication system ( you just have to press x to talk ), good for co-op people, but just a bit repetitive. Expand
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    Coop on the ship, teamplay with ships on own team, competitive gameplay against humans - what would you want more? A more polished engine, no lag spikes and such things, but for an indy game it's quite allright. The Devs of MUSE Games are awesome aswell. No new content for ages, but still the one game I play.
  25. Jan 10, 2014
    Guns of Icarus Online is a fun multiplayer experience, most enjoyable with a good-working team of friends. It has a heavy teamplay and coordination focus, not only among the crew on your ship, but also other ships you play with. The game certainly needs polish, but the dev's improve the game regularly (for which I grant them a +1 to the score).
  26. Jan 8, 2014
    This game provides hours upon hours of competitive, complex entertainment that only few could get tired of. Customize your player, airship, and take to the high skies as either a mechanic, gunner, or pilot. Your loadouts and skill will lead you to victory or certain defeat. Numerous maps, achievements, and tons more to enjoy, one can easily spend hundreds of hours competing for victory inThis game provides hours upon hours of competitive, complex entertainment that only few could get tired of. Customize your player, airship, and take to the high skies as either a mechanic, gunner, or pilot. Your loadouts and skill will lead you to victory or certain defeat. Numerous maps, achievements, and tons more to enjoy, one can easily spend hundreds of hours competing for victory in this action-packed, thrill & skill based title: Guns of Icarus. Expand
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    For those who crave co-op gameplay and a steampunk environment, this is the game. It has a fantastic steampunk/dieselpunk flavor with the outfits, airsips and weaponry that just feels so perfect. The graphics are very good with fantastic artwork, though no cutting edge technology. It offers a built-in voice chat to allow for cooperation between 4-man crews, so no need for Vent or TS orFor those who crave co-op gameplay and a steampunk environment, this is the game. It has a fantastic steampunk/dieselpunk flavor with the outfits, airsips and weaponry that just feels so perfect. The graphics are very good with fantastic artwork, though no cutting edge technology. It offers a built-in voice chat to allow for cooperation between 4-man crews, so no need for Vent or TS or whatever. My only quibbles with the game are somewhat anemic and occasionally muffled gun sounds and no real clan support beyond letting you add a clan tag. Otherwise it's top notch. The game is around $5 on Steam go get it. Expand
  28. Dec 22, 2013
    Très bon jeux!!! Je le recommande tous ceux qui aiment les batailles dans les airs! Vous aimerez coup sûr. en rabais sur steam en ce moment pas cher. Le but est de détruire le bateau qui vole dans les airs de l'ennemis.
  29. Dec 21, 2013
    Great Game, was concerned at first that i couldn't run it because i have a crappy laptop but it actually runs completely smooth and the graphics aren't bad either. Will say you need friends to play it, so buy the four pack which is cheaper technically if you can. As far as matchmaking and server stability goes: Firstly, matchmaking works in that you can form your crew before hand and up toGreat Game, was concerned at first that i couldn't run it because i have a crappy laptop but it actually runs completely smooth and the graphics aren't bad either. Will say you need friends to play it, so buy the four pack which is cheaper technically if you can. As far as matchmaking and server stability goes: Firstly, matchmaking works in that you can form your crew before hand and up to four ships worth of people which means you can search for games with a pre-made party of 16 people (ships do not need to be full btw). Finding a Lobby that fills up quickly depends on how many people you brought in but in my experience with usually one boat full of people it can take from being immediate to up to around 5 minutes which is pretty fast. Secondly, the server stability is pretty good, only had a friend lag out once and sometimes i would get a lag spike but it only lasts a couple seconds and maybe happens once or twice every other game (matches are longish, so ten seconds worth of lag in a ten minute game is not too bad).

Also, if you wanna be a pilot in this game you may want to use a controller (which I use) because according to my friends controlling the ship with keys is incredibly difficult due to the multiple awkward key positions you need to use.

As far as game-play goes, whatever you thought this game was gonna be by looking at it, is what it is exactly and works perfectly as intended. Teamwork is a necessity for success, and each class gets a different perspective but in the end everyone feels like they were a big part of a victory. The game is a little bare bones at the moment in regards to map variety (only three maps), game modes (only 2 i know of), and the level up system only adds items for your characters aesthetics. However the devs seem to be working on that and a new patch is coming soon with content. Also at the time being. the core of what you want from this game is there, there is a decent amount of class customization options, and a great amount of ships and ship weapon customization to choose from.

Overall its great game that i would recommend for people with friends to play it with. Definitely try to purchase it now while its on sale.
  30. Dec 19, 2013
    Guns of Icarus is very different from any game out there, because of that it goes into the love it or hate it kind of category. It is important however to note that unless you are playing with people you know and communicating with, it can be quite frustrating. The dev team stated that they wanted the game to be the most co-op game ever, and they succeeded. If you team isn't workingGuns of Icarus is very different from any game out there, because of that it goes into the love it or hate it kind of category. It is important however to note that unless you are playing with people you know and communicating with, it can be quite frustrating. The dev team stated that they wanted the game to be the most co-op game ever, and they succeeded. If you team isn't working together then you will probably lose, unless the other team is as unorganized. That said, it is an amazing game experience you can't get anywhere else. Expand

There is some fun to be had with this game, and there is definitely a lot of potential given how the game is still evolving even though you can play it now.
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    It's good to see there are still developers who dare to try something different. Because let's be honest..how many zeppelin sims are out there now? Exactly. Guns of Icarus Online offers a fun concept, working together with some random players on a flying fortress, trying to defend it from other, similar foes. Bugs and lag cause major disappointment however. That's a shame, because the idea is great. Let's hope a great amount of patches will deal with these problems.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    Despite its visual beauty and impressive execution, limited gameplay and general bugginess hold everything back. This beast has room to grow. When it does, expect great things. For now, a little turbulence makes for a bumpy ride.