9.2

1. Apr 22, 2014
    Damn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half Life these guns are just as cool as Brando. You take on the role of hero Gordon Freeman a physicist I think that is by chance a bad ass with weaponry etc. Anyways you can figure out the story yourselves. On PC this is a must have for everyone who likes to game. On steam it's almost a crime if you don't at least try to play the game demo etc. This game is probably one of my personal favorites along with the sequel/expansions that are just as good but visually better. The game is a non stop thrill and I recommend this to anyone as you encounter a lot of puzzles with your surroundings (not puzzles like Tetris mind you) and and action fps what is not to like about this game? Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    La excelencia hecha juego.Una magistral sensacion de accion y drama que cautivan al jugador desde el principio.Graficamente sublime.Un viaje no lineal donde el jugador resuelve por sus propias deducciones los puzles.Sonido y banda sonora notables.
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    The original revolutionized gaming forever, and this sequel did the same. 10 years later I am still in love with this game. The story is incredible, the gameplay is flawless, and the source engine of course speaks for itself. This is a game that deserves every point of its perfect score.
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    The Half-Life series in general is the best set of games I've played ever! Worth whatever amount anybody throws at you, even today it's an amazing game with one of the best story lines ever!
  5. Dec 31, 2013
    The Game That Started it all for me, and got me On to steam. Love This game over and over again. I can play this game, but it is frustrating at moments, just when I think I cant pass a part I figure it out no problem.
  6. Jan 3, 2014
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physics engine were exceptional and such quality in a game was unheard of. If you want more up-to-date versions of this game that continue the storyline and improve texture quality (and a good chance to see what Steam as it was then turned into; a brilliant idea that other publishers then took up, such as Uplay [Ubisoft], Origin [EA] and the XBOX LIVE Marketplace [Microsoft]) then get Steam and knock yourself out with Half Life: Episode 1 and Half Life: Episode 2. Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    Half-Life 2... Where do I start. Even now I am still in awe by just how amazing this game is. I wish I could rate this something like 9.9/10; if it weren't for a few minor things than it would have gotten my full appraisal.

The gameplay is varied, you could either be trying to avoid walking on sand to attract antlions, driving around in different vehicles, or shooting through hoards of
    zombies/combine. Along with this, the game uses a physics engine to make gameplay varied, either in puzzles or in combat.
    The story is immersive, well paced, and interesting. Superb dialogue. Along with all of this, the game looks and runs very well.

The game had minor faults. Some areas would feel a little too long, i found myself really only using the shotgun and SMG, the other weapons I would use only once my ammo ran out. The rocket launcher I used basically when I absolutely needed to e.g when trying to take down a helicopter. The ending was great, but left more questions than answers.

Overall, the game was just astounding and surprisingly good. If you are a fan of first person shooters you need to play Half-Life 2.
  8. Jwv
    Jan 18, 2014
    Probably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (which even now, 10 years later, still gives me the creeps), the hovercraft and buggy scenes, and your first Strider-confrontation; cool weapons; smart AI; an enormous amount of different enemies to shoot; a great story; a great momentum in the game (action-packed and serene scenes alternate nicely); an enjoyable soundtrack adapted to every moment (cf. combat, Ravenholm, etc.), good voice-acting and great sound-effects (anyone not creeped out by the zombie-dogs?); smart puzzles (but just some really stand out), great use of physics; and one of the best first hours of gameplay ever (with a great sense of dependence, realism and adrenaline). Expand
  9. Feb 5, 2014
    Only two games ever I can say that the second I finished playing, that I just started over immediately, being this and Super Metroid. Half Life 2 is just one of those games that gets everything right. To find fault, one must look pretty hard. Valve brilliantly incorporated it's source engine in their true masterpiece.

When you find truly good games, you of ten find things put in by
    the developers to enhance the realism. For example, in Metroid Prime, Samus's reflection can be seen during flashes of light and certain events. She also interacts with her arm cannon if you wait around long enough, creating the whole image that Samus isn't just what you tell her to do. This is evident in HL2 in spades. Explosions deafen you, guns wield realistically, and infinite amounts of care went into character's expressions and tone of voice.

This game is truly an instant classic that has an amazing story, well developed characters, awesome gameplay, and truly impressive depth. This game is good to the core.
  10. Mar 27, 2014
    Graphics: For a 2004 game. the graphics can't be beaten and somehow are still kinda up-to-date even in 2014

Gameplay: Smooth, no bugs/glitches, nothing that annoys you constantly other then one or two parts where you couldn't find the exit or couldn't complete the puzzle.

Story: Better then anything I've ever seen, total masterpiece! The game doesn't only uses dialogs to give the
    storyline but also graffiti/posts and even sounds to not only immerse the player to the world but tell the story of it. many times you can hear ingame "echos" of the past.

There're very few games in my 10/10 games list, Half-life and Half-life 2 are ones of it.

for all those who say the game is overrated are trying to be "out-of-the-hoard" and fight against psychology, something they don't understand is impossible.
  11. DME
    Jun 10, 2012
    Half-Life 2 was one of the greatest games I have ever played. It's very diverse, immersing, interesting, and just plain fun. One of the coolest things about it was the way you could manipulate the environment in crazy ways to complete your tasks. Unfortunately, the game has one drawback. It has an appalling ending. But, everything leading up to the ending is such a blast, it's forgivable.
  12. Apr 16, 2014
    The game I compare all others to. I love it! The first ever time I felt like I was playing a movie. It feels dated to look at now, but the game play and sound design are still far better than most new games. If you've not played it yet, BUY IT NOW! But get the PC version - the Xbox one was a poor port.
  13. May 18, 2011
    In times where it's rare that a sequel is better than the original. Half-Life 2 pulls off that feat with ease--well ahead of its time. Put this on your bucket list if you've never played it.
  14. Sep 14, 2011
    Wonderful game. All from the storyline, to the fps experience. The characters are really catchy, and it can be enjoyed over and over again. A must own in a fps collection (:
  15. Sep 3, 2012
    If you are reading the reviews there is a chance you didn't played this game yet. Let me tell you one thing: I envy you. This game has the best and longer FPS campaign ever.
  16. Apr 29, 2011
    The most awesome game ever made so far!!!! Deserves a 10 and it will get one from me. Excellent story, characters and the story combined with the peril of humanity made the game extremely immersive and an excellent play.
  17. Jun 13, 2011
    Without a doubt the greatest video game of all time. People argue that older games like Mario, or Zelda are superior to it, but if given the choice of having to play a game 15+ years old or a game that was only released in the past few years, you'd pick the newer game.

Half Life 2 is packed with great graphics, puzzles, dialogue, weapons, and game-play. To not enjoy this game would be
    like punching Jesus in the face.

And you wouldn't want to punch Jesus in the face, would you?
  18. May 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece of the FPS genre, i still remember my first playtrough, when i was amazed by the graphics, physics, the characters, their awesome voice acting, etc.

If i wanted to get someone into gaming i would show him/her hl2

thx valve for creating this!
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    Even with an engine that's now 7 years old now Half-Life 2 is still amazing. This game is a must buy, must play and must love. It was the best game Ever until Portal 2 showed up.... But I KNOW Episode Three will be the best game I'll ever play. The story of this game is just.... incredible, breathtaking. The best game of the past decade. You've got to buy it.... NOW!
  20. Apr 29, 2011
    Best game I've ever played, without a doubt. I know this game as if it was the back of my own hand, perhaps better! If you haven't played this game, you've missed out. Get it as soon as you can!
  21. Jun 10, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a good game. What do I try to trick? It is an awesome game! Even in 2010 it offers so much. So, lets start with the good things.

Half-Life 2 has nice graphics but you can have a bad computer to play it. It also has a beautiful storyline and there are no cutscenes in this game. That is good because you feel like... you are Gordon Freeman and in the center of... everything.
    This game has 15 chapters... well 14 because chapter 15 is the credits. Many of you will agree that the scariest chapter is ' ' We Don' t Go To Ravenholm...' ' . I think it doesn' t fit there where it is but they put the chapter in to show the physics.

The bad things. Is Gordon Freeman a Superman that he can drive and open doors without hands? Sometimes it is boring to listen other characters because they talk too much. Little graphical failures and they are the bad things. Thanks VALVe for this fantastic game and I am waiting the Episode Three.
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Sounds: 9
    Story: 10
  22. Jun 8, 2011
    This is maybe the best game ever made. All in this game is perfect. This game changed the FPS genre that we know today. One of the best elements to tell a story in an FPS that was carried over recent games.
  23. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic sequel of a gaming-revolution Half-life. After 6 years, we all got the game all of us expected. And the sequel is even better than the HL! Deep Sci-fi atmosphere, fantastic plot, great realistic graphics, soundtrack and sounds, also animation & dialogs - all this make this game perfect! Today we must say HL2 is one of the best games ever! Expand
  24. May 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome voicing, awesome graphics at that time. simply awesome.

ps. bah on the 150 min length.
  25. Apr 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest videogames - nay - pieces of entertainment of our generation. Combining a well-executed script, engaging plot and lovable characters that will become instantly attachable. The blend of puzzle and action makes for exceptional gameplay and Valve's Source Engine flexes it's muscles on this title. Half-Life 2 is the definition of a perfect videogame.

And, there's
    that boat-ride... Collapse
  26. Jun 3, 2011
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. No wait, it is... Both the critics and users alike agree! Storyline is solid... (wish Hollywood would figure out how to write good entertainment like Valve did) and the action, the music, the graphics. Just everything is badass!
  27. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superbe jeu, à découvrir ou à redécouvrir, découvert a sa sortie, je viens de le redécouvrir avec une carte graphique nouvelle génération, que du bonheur ! Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a great game. If you don't appreciate the great story and gameplay, you are not a true gamer. Call of Duty is crap compared to Half Life. The graphics are great, even by today's standards. Even though it's old, Valve knows their engine, and this enables them to have good graphics and low system requirements. Graphics don't make the game though; gameplay does, and this game definitely has some of the best gameplay ever. Expand
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    It's been said a million times that this game is literally perfect in every aspect, but what struck me most was just how intellectual the puzzles and combat tactics were. This game will give your brain a workout that you will never forget.
  30. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  31. Sep 10, 2012
    Awesome game, impressively well balanced, fun to play, even over and over, simple but efficient at what it does : entertainment. Clearly, here Valve has shown to everyone that it is possible to make a great FPS without having to be weaker on some other aspects of the game. Hats off.
  32. May 6, 2012
    This game is perfect. Simply perfect.
    Amazing graphics which are beautiful even on weak PCs because of compatibility and greatly designed Source graphics engine. The story is great, voice acting is above average and sound quality breathtaking.
  33. Sep 8, 2011
    The greatest single player first person shooter ever made. If a game better than this is ever created it will be by the same team. Valve rule the world and Gabe is a god.
  34. Aug 2, 2011
    A perfect game, possibly one of the best games ever made, great story, amazing game-play, truly a revolution for the FPS genre at its time.
    I think this game is underrated even with a 96 meta-score.
  35. Aug 11, 2011
    Magnificent Graphics, Great (Not Just Good) Storyline, Nice Variety Of Enemies From The Combine To Headcrabs, You Never Know What To Expect. I Was A Little Bit Dissapointed In Ravenholm But I Wouldnt Use That To Judge My Overall Score Because I Am Not A Big Horror Game Fan. Ravenholm Scares The Crap Out Of Me Whenever I Walk Around A Corner, Although Its Pretty Fun To Kill Headcrab Zombies With A Giant Saw And A Gravity Gun. When I First Got To Ravenholm, I Wouldnt Go Anywhere Because Of The Intense Music, Which Is Another Reason The Game Is So Great. Good Music To Emphasize The Situation. The Hardest Part Yet Is The Big Hoverboat - Heli fight. I Died About... 19 Times Before I Perfected My Technique. I've Learned That It Is Ok To Die In This Game Alot Because Then You Really Get To Experience How Hard It Is For Gordon To Live His Life. The Heli Fight May Have Been The Hardest So Far, But There Is Much To Come. Expand
  36. Aug 8, 2011
    There isn't much to say here, Gordon Freeman is a god.
    Valve really outdid themselves with Half-Life 2. Never a dull moment, the action segments are riveting and there's no shortage of puzzles to solve.
  37. Aug 10, 2011
    Problobly one of the best first shooter game i've ever bought it has great gameplay and extreame graphics! From ecaping from city 17 on a air boat, or destroying the citaidel. It is the one of the best game to hit the earths atmosphere!!!
  38. Aug 16, 2011
    Creo que lo he jugado muchas veces, lo voy a descargar de nuevp desde mi steam para jugarlo otra vez, es el mejor fps de todos, jamas me aburre y la historia te inmersa en un mundo realmente increible!!, ojala pudiera entrar en el juego!!, le doy 10, lo he jugado desde muchos años...realmente sick!!!
  39. Aug 24, 2011
    this game has an amazing story, amazing atmosphere, amazing gameplay and this is also responsible for some of the greatest machinima videos. overall this is an amazing experience you cannot miss
  40. Jun 15, 2012
    One of the most important experiences of my life. Completely changed the way I look at the world, made me start appreciating the greatness, beauty and mystery of life, world, universe, science, technology, intelligence and human spirit. 10/10, 100%, I don't think that any videogame will ever influence me so much.
  41. Sep 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is an amazing game that should be in every household for FPS fans. This is the best FPS I have ever played. The story and voice acting was performed and done perfectly in every aspect, all the emotions and dialog was spot on with the events happening in the game. The story of Half-Life is truly amazing. It pull's you in and makes you want to keep playing, when most of the time with first person shooters, the formula is "Go here, kill those guys, BIG EXPLOSION, game end". But with Half-Life 2, they slow down and take some time to think. And not only that, the action is amazing and fun. There is only one problem and that is that the AI is stupid and lacking at times, but it doesn't effect the game play that much, it just makes the enemies a little easier. Any gamer that has a brain in their head, should own this game, or have at least played it. Expand
  42. Sep 23, 2011
    Will be the best FPS you will ever play, Valve is a company that knows how to make an amazing story, and great game play and voice acting. A 10 can't even do justice to this game. Truly the best PC game of all time. deserves a 100, some critics are stupid.
  43. Apr 5, 2012
    if you're looking endless action, endless fun, the best story ever made, the best AI, awesome and powerful guns, strong and really creepy disgusting enemies, the best graphics and physics, great soundtrack, intrigue, emotion, chills, lovely characters, the best protagonist and everything inside a FPS game, then you need to buy half life 2
  44. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely, unquestionably one of the greatest games to hit the surface of our fair planet. Still, to this day amazing. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played through this game. The elegance of the leve design is unbelievable. introduce a concept.... let you use it.... then challenge you with it and make you feel really clever for working it out. Stunning story.
  45. Dec 14, 2011
    This is the best game i haver played.i have played it 5 times and never get bored.It has good graphics and best game play .True value for money game. I am eagerly waiting for hl2 ep3
  46. Oct 9, 2012
    Lo primero que debes hacer si estas leyendo esto y aun no has jugado a este juego es ir corriendo a comprarlo/descargarlo/loqueseaperohazloya!! porque es el mejor juego de las últimas décadas (el mejor que yo he jugado). La primera vez, de las muchas que me lo pasé, fue una experiencia genial e increible:
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de
    los enemigos, y por encima de todo, jugabilidad.
    Es el juego en primera persona mas profundo, variado, imaginativo y divertido que existe!
    Una obra maestra que aunque tenga ocho años, sigue siendo imbatible hoy en día.
    Gráficos: 10 Sonido: 9 Diversión/jugabilidad: 10 Duracíon: 8,5
  47. Jun 12, 2012
    From the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that can be found for a game. The original voices are among the best out there for a game (Valve always take care of this). Expand
  48. Dec 1, 2011
    Simply the best singleplayer experience offered by any fps ever. Who says you need to invest big time into multiplayer to make a game that people might actually buy. The $9.99 steam price tag also helps this game greatly. Reasonable pricing and solid singleplayer make this game simply unbeatable.
  49. Dec 31, 2011
    I have finally got around to playing this game and completing the original which I started 11 years ago! Having played FPS that were released in 2009 and 2010 I am amazed with Halflife 2- the graphics are still great and the level design is spectacular. I enjoyed the zombie level so much that I just brought the left for dead games for 4 euros from steam. All the levels have their own very distinct character but somehow you move from one to the next seamlessly. The campaign has so much variety- you could be driving along the open coast next to the sea in one (with the sound of the sea in your ears if you get a quiet moment) or feeling oppressed and claustrophobic as the evil combine guard infiltrate the apartment blocks you're hiding in. Great game- still have not found any FPS since 2004 that surpasses it. Expand
  50. Dec 26, 2011
    Endless possibilities awaiting for you with the Source Engine presented by VALVe Corporation with their best game ever made: Half-Life: 2.
    Extreme action in this FPS game with one of the most original stories,between us,who the hell would had thought of putting a scientist as the main character in an FPS game? There is no reason for your delay,if You haven't played it yet,go buy it now.
    trust me,I know it will give you 'the feeling'.

Sam Segal.26.12.11
  51. Jan 9, 2012
    Grafica stupefacente; gameplay straordinario e coinvolgente; AI imprevedibile (quindi egregia); armi originali (provare il ferormone per credere): insomma, non si può pretendere di più da un gioco d'azione in prima persona che, a 7 anni dalla sua comparsa, sa ancora regalare incredibili emozioni. Questo secondo capitolo entra di diritto, come il precedente, nella Hall of Fame dei videogiochi. Expand
  52. Apr 10, 2012
    I don't write anything insightful. Half-Life 2 is one of the best game ever made. For me the biggest advantage is the story and well written characters, especially Alyx. Must play!
  53. Mar 22, 2013
    Half life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of the community made mods for the game. You can get this game for $10 which is just about the best price vs. entertainment factor I've ever seen. Ever. Expand
  54. Jul 23, 2012
    Not much to add here- a game every gamer should play at least once. A story, soundtrack, and experience to rival that of any other piece of fiction. Despite not really enjoying HL1's overall gameplay (and horribly dated graphics), HL2 more than makes up for it. Anyone who dismissed this game after having an unfavorable experience with its predecessor absolutely should give it a second look.
  55. Feb 3, 2012
    The greatest modern FPS game!
    Although it was made in 2004, it is way ahead of many modern games, like Call of Duty!
    Think of it as like Classical Greece compared to the Persian empire!
    It is the only game I know that can rival Doom or Heretic!
  56. May 23, 2012
    I have played many games, but there is only one game I keep coming back to hoping to know what happens next, and this is it. My favourite game of all time!
  57. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

As someone who has been a fan of Half Life 2 for years, I have never really quit playing it - although I have taken some pretty big breaks in between. It is during my current playthrough that I decided to come write a short review on Metacritic to describe just how I feel about this game.

I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that
    isn't fully aware of Half Life 2 and the hype surrounding it. And as beloved as it is, I would still so far as to say that this game is one of the most underrated games of all time.

How can a game that is widely considered by many as the greatest shooter to date, and even still by others (such as myself) as the greatest video game period, be underrated?

As difficult that would be to explain, it's equally difficult attempting to convey just how great this game is in so short of space. Indeed, the fact that a game so good can be so under appreciated is something that has baffled me for quite a time. In my humble opinion, no amount of praise or appreciation for Half Life 2 would suffice. What Valve has created is simply a work of art. The visuals, sound, gameplay, and storytelling are of among the best the gaming world had ever seen. It's incredible just how amazing and groundbreaking was every facet of Half Life 2, in respect to the time it was released, and even more incredible that each groundbreaking aspect was all in the same game. The game that literally had it all. The Beatles of the PC gaming world. The fact that Half Life 2 can still be played today, 8 years later, and can be every bit as impressive as modern shooters (more, in some instances), truly testifies to just how great this game is. This is truly the greatest game ever made.
  58. Feb 24, 2012
    Just such an amazing game. So unique and amazing. It's just so smart. It has such a think story line. It's not just a "shoot whatever you see" game. If you like action it has a lot of that but it is also very intellectual. NEVER WILL REGRET BUYING IT!!!!
  59. Mar 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG this game is so awesomely brilliant, its one of the best games i have ever played (I've played hl1, hl2, hl2ep1, hl2ep2.) i just think its just brilliant, graphics are brilliant, and the way some of the fast zombies run at you was terrifyingly brilliant (especially when you have all around sound) Expand
  60. Mar 7, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is an epic sci-fi FPS, with one of the best atmospheres of any games i have ever played. The game offers intense and varied FPS game play with a great story and some puzzles on the way. Probably my favorite game to this date.
  61. Mar 13, 2012
    What can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have to entertain you through the provision of some form of "play" or "game". Half Life 2 isn't about getting to play with a gun, or killing a roomful of aliens: It's not a game. It's not play. All that stuff comes as an afterthought. The entire point of Half Life 2 is that you get to witness the most important day in Gordon Freeman's life in its entirety - and It was one hell of a day. If you were to watch a playthrough of Half Life 2 without having any control over the character at all, It really wouldn't effect the overall experience that much. No other game studio has had, or since had, the balls to do something like this, and not even Valve -at least not until Half Life 3. Half Life 2 is virtual reality at it's finest, and you owe it to yourself to experience it. Expand
  62. Mar 13, 2012
    Best Game Forever! The game is very well armed, the maps are unique, and the game has a plot that grabs you.
    Better gameplay, better story, good graphics, nothing else to say!
    just, Who the hell is Gman?!
  63. Mar 15, 2012
    I am 44 years old, and a hardcore gamer. Started out when the first personal computer came out. Have played almost 90% of the games since 1983 to 2012. The only game that impressed me to this day in terms of storyline, graphics, game physics and rendering has to be half-life 2. Its the only game that will keep making you come back and play it over and over without getting bored. Many times i have started this game and finished it in one sitting. This is how good it gets and still has that spark. No other games will make you feel that, thats a challenge. Expand
  64. Nov 19, 2012
    Who does not like FPS probably never played Half-Life. Why? Simple! This game has one of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game!! Stupid games like Call Of Duty and Battlefield who invests only in Multiplayer mode sullied the image of the true FPS games.
  65. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life 2 is FPS perfection. Nothing gets better than this. For a game of 2004 the graphics are astounding. The interaction in-game characters have with you and facial movement is remarkable. The shooting is back and better than ever. Now less repetitive, longer, better and sexier.
  66. May 7, 2012
    Possibly the greatest game of all time.
    Fantastic story, incredible gameplay, graphics that still hold up in 2012, and characters that are impossible to not love. This game, nay this masterpiece, is a landmark in gaming.
  67. Apr 12, 2012
    Throughout the years, the originality and the way Half Life 2 sucks you in, has made it my favorite game. I've played it countless times all the way through, and unless I lose my mind, I plan on playing any future release that is put out. Thanks Valve!
  68. Apr 21, 2012
    This game is one of the greatest games ever on Pc. I would like to go to what the people who gave it said. I've heard people saying it's unrealistic and that is really stupid thing to say because if it's a game it will never be realistic and there are freaking Head Crabs so I don't think realism was their goal. It has been compared to Far Cry but in my opinion the graphics and gameplay in this game were a million times better. Some people said it was boring but it isn't just run and gun there are actually some pretty awesome puzzles in this game. The AI isn't bad at all and the people who said that must have been playing on easy because they actually tried and sometimes succeeded to out maneuver me. The story was great and this was a huge advancement from the first one and if for whatever reason you don't have it buy it for only $10. You will definitely get a bang for your buck. Expand
  69. May 1, 2012
    Best. Game. Ever. Created.
    Vavle made a big step in the right direction, and since HL2 many game developers tried to copy it. But they will fail, because in my opinion, the only game which will (or could... yeah, Valve can't count to 3) make it is HL3.
    10 out of 10.
  70. May 7, 2012
    Really awesome game!The best storyline combined with the source engine= this game!I recommend it to everyone who is in doubt, this game rules, and the price is too low in my opinion! (6.99 euro)
  71. May 10, 2012
    Actually one of my BEST OF THE BEST games! When I played it for the first time I was like: WTF? VALVe are GODS! So, if you ask me if its HL best game, I'll answer: No, HL isn't game, HL is religion! :-)
  72. May 13, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is an excellent single player story driven first person shooter of the highest quality. Even having been out for a few years its production values shine through in every aspect of the game. Be it the tight shooter controls, the well thought out level design, the story moments or the pioneering physics based environmental puzzles the game maintains its ability to entertain like few others. If you are looking for a multi-player online shooter HL2 is not the best choice. However if you are a fan of FPS and have yet to play Half-Life 2 you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy and play through one weekend if for no other reason than to play a landmark title in the genre. Authors note: All of my reviews content cover what you should expect when you purchase the game to enjoy it. My scores cover what I feel is the overall quality of the game and may not reflect what I cover in the bulk of my review. Expand
  73. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is way too good. It does not deserve a review, it would be futile to try and judge this game. It is too perfect. Judging it would delay Half life 3 even further.
  74. Mar 23, 2014
    Best single player game ever. 10 years later most of these scenes are still better looking than the newest games that come out in 2014, and it deserves an 11 for that. Graphics aren't just high definition textures and more polygons, they are also the context they are put into, proportion, and sound.
  75. Jun 18, 2012
    Simply amazing. A large improvement from the original. The story can be hard to follow, but it's still interesting. Graphics are amazing as always, especially with the new physics engine implemented in. I'm looking forward to the future of this game franchise.
  76. Jul 22, 2012
    And in response to some fa**ot that commented some time ago: I'm sure in 2004 this was the best game ever and blew minds, but this is 2012 and I'm judging it by 2012 standards. -ok fine 1) the game is 100% linear, claustrophobically linear. -Sometimes linear is needed for a storyline to be followed right. 2) it handles like **** The controls are not responsive, jumping is a pain, etc.
    -The handling is just perfect.
    -The controles are responsive, just not for your **** HP wireless keyboard, or maybe you're playing it on ps3/xbox.
    -You can jump by pressing space.
    -etc.
    3) The guns are really dull except for the gravity gun.
    -That can be set by setting difficulty.
    -It could also help a whole lot to aim at the enemy.
    4) The enemy AI is beyond retarded.
    -Set dificulty higher.
    5) The story is an incoherent mess.
    -Follow the storyline. It aint hard to understand if you understand english.
    6) the art is soviet era rot, brown and grey and depressing That is because the enviroment is supposed to be depressing. It aint Angry birds you're playing.
    7) the assests look like they are from 2004, you know when videocards had 128mb of ram and people were playing games on the ps2 and original xbox? And don't forget that this game was made for original xbox. -The game is for 2004, so I guess it looks like it's from 2004.
    8) puzzles involve moving boxes around, and platforming with above mentioned **** controls. All in all, this game just does not stack up to great shooters like like crysis, Stalker, Metro, New Vegas, DayZ, etc. I supose if you are into playing old games like Fallout 1&2, Thief, etc., then you'll like this one. But if you are like me and find old PS2/xbox era games totally unfun, then stay away. YMMV blahblah.
    -Physics were new at that time. If you know how to think through obstacles and can actualy use a keyboard, it's no problem solving.
  77. Jul 29, 2012
    Exellent Game and one of my alltime Favorites. A Milestone in the Gaming History, well worth to Buy. This is probably the best sequel to any PC Game there ever was +10!
  78. Jul 31, 2012
    One word, "Amazing" This is one of the cases where a sequel doesn't ruin the franchise. The graphics are amazing for a game made in 2004. It is powered by the Source engine, which allows mods to easily be installed along with its great physics engine and lighting. My only problem is the vehicles are quite cumbersome. But, it the controls aren't as bad as some of the racing games I have played. What makes this game great, is that you NEVER feel safe and nearly everything goes wrong. Expand
  79. Sep 5, 2012
    Outdoing the original Half-Life is no easy task, but I am happy to report that Valve has succeeded in exactly that. Half-Life 2 is a breathtaking FPS that will have you on the edge of your PC chair from start to finish. Story: (10) Just as good as the first, Gordon is one of the best characters of a game. There are even a few unexpected twists and parts that are actually scary. Graphics: (10) Some of the best available when released, this game looks awesome on full settings and still respectable today. Sound: (10) Best of the best sound effects and background music. The soundtrack is definitely worth checking out. Gameplay: (9) Just as good as the first, if not better. There are several challenging areas and some of the boss fights are epic. The shooting feels more accurate and I must say the AI in this game is incredible. Endgame: (8) It is fun to go through again on harder difficulties but I would have loved to see some sort of multi-player support besides deathmatch. Overall if you are a PC gamer you CANNOT pass this game up. Just the story alone is enough to keep you going and the suspense builds at every corner. Still to this day the graphics hold up really nice and the source engine is smooth and a blast to play. Overall: 9 Expand
  80. Sep 7, 2012
    This game is a must-play. It´s a prime example for storytelling and the graphics were and still are quite good. It's not simply a FPS-shooter, also a puzzle-game with lots of vehicle-passages mixed in, so that despite its length of about 20 hours Half-Life 2 never gets boring. What makes the Experience so great is the authentic way the story of Gordon Freeman is told. Never does the player see or hear anything else than Dr. Freeman would, nor is he ever interrupted by instructions or else on the screen. He simply IS Gordon Freeman. Expand
  81. Sep 9, 2012
    The masterpiece! Awesome story, unique art/level design style, interesting game universe and excellent gameplay. Also it was revolutionary in graphics, remember E3 2003? My mind was blown back then.The game still locking awesome, and i replay it again and again... P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Ukraine :D
  82. Oct 12, 2012
    Half-life 2,like its predecessor, is one of those games that leave a mark. Masterpiece of fps games! run to buy this game if you haven't already done.
  83. Dec 13, 2012
    Definitely one of the best FPS games ever. This game is what really started it all for Steam. It was a beautiful game back then and still stands the test of time today without any modding. It's packaged in a multitude of bundles and is on sale regularly so it's a real shame if you haven't played it within the past 8 years.
  84. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experience

Это 2004-года 2004-ом
  85. Nov 12, 2012
    What i like the most about it its that it doesn't feel any linear, you get so into it that it really feels like it flows, i say it stays at the top even if it is almost 9 years old O.O holy crap! yes, its that good, that's the thing that hooks me the most, its pace, it really is a MASTERPIECE and you should definitively try if you haven't, get the orange box, one of the sweetest deals that you can have Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Just amazing. Incredible story and playability. No critics to this game at all. A masterpiece.
  87. Dec 3, 2012
    What makes Half Life 2 one of the best games of all time is the subtle things included in it. Every detail is measured. Every moment is epic. The settings looked so realistic, you could swear this was happening in your local town, city, whatever (or even your own backyard). The story doesn't grab you by the throat in any way, but it truly makes you feel like you are a survivor in a collapsed world, just like the people you encounter in your journey. If you haven't bought the game, you're missing out on the experience of a lifetime. MARK MY WORDS. Expand
  88. Dec 4, 2012
    Nearly unbeatable game; in terms of excellence that is. This was one of my earliest PC shooters and simply blew my mind. Since then it has maintained a place as my absolute favorite game of all time and will likely hold onto that title for many years to come. I have played it somewhere in the range of 15-20 times and expect many more. A true innovator.
  89. Dec 16, 2012
    Best. Game. Of. All. Time. If you call yourself a gamer, THIS is in your library. It revolutionized the genre, set the bar where gaming should be, and ultimately wrote the book on how to properly make a FPS that has graphics that have lasted a long time, large beautifully detailed maps, a huge arsenal of weapons and foes, physics that speak for themselves, and has brought us very good mods. Mods including, but not limited to: TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, NS2, and countless others that few even remember.... such as Rocket Crowbar 2 (I miss that game... :( ). When HL3 comes... I am absolutely confident that it will take the title of the best game of all time, much like a baton being passed in a relay race. Valve is undeniably the greatest game developers of our time. Expand
  90. Dec 19, 2012
    This is my favourite game series of all time. The story in this game makes you feel like you're actually the person you're playing with great physics, graphics and story telling.
  91. Feb 23, 2013
    That is why my computer to play the game. I'm grateful to uncover the phenomenon of gaming story. period and the legendary gameplay innovations brought to the game will remain a memorable one every time. crowbar crowbar crowbar
  92. Jan 6, 2013
    Definitely the best FPS game I have ever played! The gameplay is very fun, the story never gets boring and the graphics are AMAZING for a 2004 game! It is much better than call of stupid duty and horrible halo! It is also a steal for just £6.99 on steam so be sure to get it!
  93. Jan 16, 2013
    Half-Life 2 review

Story
    Half-Life 2
  94. Jan 30, 2013
    Uns dos melhores FPS ja feito, quase tudo nesse jogo e otimo personagens,inimigos,armas,ambientção,fisica e puzzle,sim eu sei que demorou quase 5 anos para se desenvolver half-life 2, mas com certeza a espera valeu a pena!
  95. Mar 3, 2013
    This game is genius, the graphics and gameplay have stood the test of time and every single inch of the game has had massive attention paid to it. How anyone can say this is a bad game is under age of 16 or they have a terrible choice in games.
  96. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is amazing! I still play it today! Can't wait for ep3!
  97. Jan 27, 2013
    To this day HL2 remains one of my favorite and most replayed games in my collection. The brilliance of this game has not been matched by any FPS adventure game to date. The visual storytelling execution was spot on and the game play experience is the best description of what gaming is all about.
  98. Nov 17, 2013
    Just a perfect game of the legendary franchise. A golden example of FPS.Everything in this game is great- plot, gameplay, characters. Also can't forget the Zombie level, it was really interesting experience.
  99. Aug 27, 2013
    The sequel to Half-Life but much different the graphics are still quite good but the animations are still really good it still is Half-Life so you will know its Half-Life the stroy telling is amazing as well an absolute masterpiece
  100. Aug 31, 2013
    Once in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking nor spectacular, they're simple and fun to use, especially in vehicles. This is not a war shooter or a bullet-hell one, it's more of a puzzle game at times, but you have to find the puzzles. This game works at your own pace, there are no cut-scenes, it's all in first person, so you find everything for yourself. This game gives you a freedom that most FPS games did not have at the time. If your not spoiled by the FPSs of today, you'll fall in love with this game. Expand
  101. Apr 26, 2012