Half-Life PC

9.0

1. AlanM.
    Oct 4, 2006
    This is one of my all time favorite FPS's.
  2. Mike
    Mar 27, 2006
    Pc god of games.
  3. SimonD.
    Apr 15, 2006
    Absolutely fantasic game, that deserves every award it's has ever received. For the people that say they get stuck, I agree, it can be quite a challenging game, but like so many people have said, games like this take time to complete, you can't go through just shooting and running! It takes some lateral thinking! Graphically, it was on par for games of its time, although HL2 far Absolutely fantasic game, that deserves every award it's has ever received. For the people that say they get stuck, I agree, it can be quite a challenging game, but like so many people have said, games like this take time to complete, you can't go through just shooting and running! It takes some lateral thinking! Graphically, it was on par for games of its time, although HL2 far surpasses anything HL could ever have given us. Great stuff Valve, I will continue to play games that you create like this for ever! It truly makes game playing enjoyable. Expand
  4. KoshN.
    Apr 18, 2006
    I would give this game an 11 if i could, it is perfectly difficult, long enough and OH so much fun to play time and time again. My favorite game of all time.
  5. AnthonyN.
    May 12, 2006
    Really good game!
  6. SamG.
    May 13, 2006
    When i began playing, it went slow, then it began to pick up. I espicially liked how the player must think to progress, i personally am a adventure and puzzle player, and that's why i liked this so much, also the puzzles give a much needed break in action, if i wanted action, i'd just go outside, but the puzzles out side, i have to make...
  7. StevoM.
    May 13, 2006
    One of the best content action packed oriented game to ever come out, just a blast that keeps you on the edge of your seat while challenging you from beginnning to end.
  8. RobB.
    May 14, 2006
    Played this game for over 6 years, best game ever!
  9. BrunoF.
    May 22, 2006
    The best game I've ever played, including it's sequence, Half-Life 2.
  10. KaiS.
    May 27, 2006
    It is the best game I've ever played.
  11. DanielB.
    May 27, 2006
    This is the best game ever, its sooo realistic and the mod that have been made are great! well done , such a sucsess.
  12. YermakirumY.
    May 28, 2006
    Very good game.
  13. BlobN.
    May 5, 2006
    Probably my favorite game combining Fps and puzzle elements. It casues the player to use their skill and their brain to beat the game.
  14. ChrisR.
    May 6, 2006
    all i can sat is fantasic game loved every minute of it. this was the first fps game i played on the pc few yrs back 10/10 top marks thanks for a great game
  15. JohnA.
    May 7, 2006
    Very well though out game and beautiful single player storyline.
  16. PpjB.
    May 7, 2006
    probbably lost a few hundred friends from this game from playing to too much!
  17. AnonymousMC
    Jun 14, 2006
    When this game came out I hadn't really gotten into computer games much, the FPS's at the time being very boring and unimaginative. I played this, and i was hooked! Fine- so its very dated now, and you youngsters giving it such harsh reviews may be used to all your Halo and Halo 2 graphics (Halo was great, but Halo 2? now there's overrated). Of course HL2 is better in everyWhen this game came out I hadn't really gotten into computer games much, the FPS's at the time being very boring and unimaginative. I played this, and i was hooked! Fine- so its very dated now, and you youngsters giving it such harsh reviews may be used to all your Halo and Halo 2 graphics (Halo was great, but Halo 2? now there's overrated). Of course HL2 is better in every way- they had all the feed back gotten from the original to work off of, as well as 6 years to make what is still the best graphics engine in existance. For its time and even now, i still think Half life has one of the most rewarding single player experiences in the industry, both in length and quality. it took me a year to beat it on hard mode, and still takes a comparable amount of time to do the same.
    to mr. Rami W.- please, play the game before reviewing it. there is no "money" involved whatsoever in half life. maybe you're thinking Counter strike. there aren't even "objectives" in half life.
  18. JonB.
    Jun 18, 2006
    Half-Life was THE game that really piqued my interest in game design and has since lead me to a career in the game industry.
  19. DerrickM.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Amazing, amazing game. Definitely one of the best of all time.
  20. EliasO.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I played this game over and over and over again when I was a child, and yeah, it was great fun! Those that give it a bad rating are just n00bs that can't finnish it and get stuck.
  21. TerenceC.
    Jul 22, 2006
    Best FPS game ever, HL2 was a bit of a disappointment compared to this, I've played many FPS games and apart from Quake 4 none of them were as good as this, great story and gameplay, perfect!!
  22. ChaseM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    one of the best games ever made. It's rare that you find a sequal to a game such as this that kicks just as much ass also I might add. I'd been playing this game since my dad bought it and i'd never beaten it until I got steam and Half Life: Source. This game never stops entertaining me, with or without cheats, on any difficulty, its fun to play over and over. Anyone who one of the best games ever made. It's rare that you find a sequal to a game such as this that kicks just as much ass also I might add. I'd been playing this game since my dad bought it and i'd never beaten it until I got steam and Half Life: Source. This game never stops entertaining me, with or without cheats, on any difficulty, its fun to play over and over. Anyone who wants to get one of the best games ever created, buy this game. Expand
  23. BrianJ.
    Jul 27, 2006
    Greatest PC FPS ever... as long as you get the High Definition pack. Without it, the guns look like toys. With it, they look and sound nice enough to get you involved in the game. The best action sequences ever - take on an entire alien army and an entire marine corps. Brilliant AI ends the "spray, take cover, reload" sequence. You will still be taking cover and reloading, but when you Greatest PC FPS ever... as long as you get the High Definition pack. Without it, the guns look like toys. With it, they look and sound nice enough to get you involved in the game. The best action sequences ever - take on an entire alien army and an entire marine corps. Brilliant AI ends the "spray, take cover, reload" sequence. You will still be taking cover and reloading, but when you do, expect a grenade to be tossed your way or a swarm of thornets to seek you out. Puzzles are not all that puzzling since there is usually only one path open to you, but are still interesting enough to keep the non-combat portions of the game fun. Guns are varied and interesting. This is the game that created genre mainstays like vent crawling, squad based AI, and seamless first person scripted events. A true masterpiece. When combined with Opposing Force, the massive amount of quality is astounding to behold. I simply cannot get into the mods for the game and the multiplayer, because all-together the massive amount of perfection is too staggering to fit in this blurb. Expand
  24. TimS.
    Jul 30, 2006
    The classic FPS! I have loved this game since it first came out and since then, about every month or so, I create a new game and beat it all over again! One of the best!
  25. AndrewG.
    Jul 9, 2006
    this game is great. THE 2nd best pc shooter ever created, 1st obviously being half-life 2. the graphics were astonishing, and still are better than halo's graphics. considering this game came out 3 years before halo, it had way more variety in weapons, enemies, environments, etc. and its easy mode is 10 times more challenging than halo.
  26. CarstenS.
    Aug 14, 2006
    Not THE BEST, but on of the best games. Ever. Still today. But Opposinf Force was the best Half-Life - if we ignore things like physics or graphics, just gameplay.
  27. MichaelP.
    Aug 31, 2006
    Keep up the good work, This game rocks!
  28. DavidG.
    Sep 13, 2006
    The best game ever made, got this game shortly after getting my first PC in 1999 and started religiously playing TFC that summer. From there I went on to Counter-Strike which consumed me for 5 years! This is where it all started.
  29. DavidA.
    Sep 26, 2006
    This game is kick .ss for it is the best old FPS ever to own on your PC along with Blue Shift and Opposing Force and Team Fortress Classic. Get the Anthology pack asap to get all these for a nice cheap price and rock ass online with em and well enjoy!
  30. AntonA.
    Sep 27, 2006
  31. CerdaM.
    Sep 30, 2006
    This is a game that held me for 6 years! Holy awesome!
  32. AntonA.
    Nov 30, 2007
  33. GeorgeJ.
    Oct 18, 2007
    The most cinimatic game i`ve ever played and easily my favorite FPS of all time.
  34. RossB.
    Jan 21, 2007
    The best FPS ever, Bar None. When I first got it I played for 16 hours straight. Still remains one of my favorite games to play!
  35. AndyC.
    Feb 10, 2007
    Great game I am still addicted to the multiplayer even after all these years.
  36. KoH.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Redefined the FPS genre and the gaming industry in every single way possible.
  37. SebiW.
    Apr 15, 2007
    It's a nice game! It was my first shootergamer.
  38. CarlosQ.
    Apr 20, 2007
    This is a perfect game ever made the graphics are the best more of half life 2 (but are the games of half-life are great)and the g-men is spectacular and the last boss is spectacular (all of the boss are grats ) this game have spectacular fps. this game is the best ever made.
  39. Pierre-MarieC.
    May 15, 2007
    Perfect !! A legend is born !
  40. DerekG.
    May 16, 2007
    The first installment of one of the best game series ever made. Although the graphics may be a bit dated by today's standards, the gameplay is still completely worthwhile; don't miss it!
  41. V-Man
    Jun 26, 2007
    The best game of it's time and still one of the best games out there, if a little low on graphics. All the gameplay is balanced and there's plenty of gameplay there. Overall a perfect game.
  42. AndyE.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This game will go down in history as one of the best first person shoots to ever have graced us with its presence back when everyone had the old CTR Moniters.
  43. JeremiahJ.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Very scary! Great game, i recommend this game to anyone who isn't too jumpy!
  44. AndyS.
    Aug 11, 2007
    This is the best game i have ever played, the adventurous storyline will keep you hooked. Though the graphics are not top notch, the game is what really gets you going.
  45. ColeM.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Best first person action game ever made! Puzzles and tricky situations along with heavy batttles with aliens, marines, and even both at the same time! Any gamer must play this legendary Valve title!
  46. PeterB.
    Aug 7, 2007
    The single greatest FPS, and possibly the single greatest game ever made.
  47. YiuC.H.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Although made almost 10 years ago, but the replay value remains like its made yesterday.
  48. DaveP.
    Sep 23, 2007
    This is the first computer game I have every played.... I have been playing games ever since, I think that says something about the impact that it had on me. This game brings a whole new meaning to the words challenging and strategie. All in all one of the best games of all time.
  49. AnonymousMC
    Sep 23, 2007
    Great game! Really really addicting... hard at first recommended to play on easy haha but after you get used to the game the game is outstanding and makes you want to play it till the end. I mean I evan played Opposing Force + Blue shift to continue the half life story cause I can't play the newer half life 2 cause of my grafix card but still Those games are great to! (but they areGreat game! Really really addicting... hard at first recommended to play on easy haha but after you get used to the game the game is outstanding and makes you want to play it till the end. I mean I evan played Opposing Force + Blue shift to continue the half life story cause I can't play the newer half life 2 cause of my grafix card but still Those games are great to! (but they are shorter lol!) So everybody should get this game number one hell yeah!!! was kinda like wtf at first but then the story makes sense and you won't want to stop playing untill you get kiked off.... ok I'll stop typing now haha.... Expand
  50. AnonymousMC
    Sep 29, 2007
    i found the program limiting as all closed in screens are in real life. theres no perifegy vision and its hard getting used to. story line is lame as the head suckers have no purpose other than to jump on your head and become a parasite. its action is almost believable. as you go thru the story looking for whatever. i was always unsure of what i was after.
  51. AnonymousMC
    Jan 17, 2008
    HL is just the best game with best encheted engine with best platform for mods and HL borns the best gamers on world
    Adrenaline Gamers !
    it made relationships on whole world and it is a reason why gaming & games are so famous today but Valve today is a imperialism crap :P
  52. RustyC.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Very very fun! Fair storytelling ability, and great graphics even now! I like it better than HL-2 because it can lock the gore and has less swearing.
  53. AnonymousMC
    Dec 3, 2008
    This is the greatest game I have ever played. Everything is amazing. It has the greatest storyline I have ever seen in any type of game on any platform, be it MMO, strategy, or FPS. This story includes mysterey, lack of any cutscenes, and wonderfully thought-out details. Coupled with healthy doses of puzzle game, combat, and skill, all aspects of this go together pefectly. This is theThis is the greatest game I have ever played. Everything is amazing. It has the greatest storyline I have ever seen in any type of game on any platform, be it MMO, strategy, or FPS. This story includes mysterey, lack of any cutscenes, and wonderfully thought-out details. Coupled with healthy doses of puzzle game, combat, and skill, all aspects of this go together pefectly. This is the best game of all time and really deserves an award to be named after it. Expand
  54. AnonymousMC
    Dec 5, 2008
    To this day one of the better FPS games of all time, in my opinion. I've played it through several times over the years and still get to enjoy moments that I'd forgotten about. I'm not sure the PC has had a shooter since Half-Life that could equal it's legendary status. Gordon Freeman is a PC pop icon.

If you've never touched the HL series, play this first!!
  55. SpencerC.
    Feb 26, 2008
    The first time I saw a headcrab, I nearly crapped my pants. Even though this was a good 7 years after the game was released, I was still scared to be alone. Just screenshots of the game scared the crap out of me when I was in fifth grade. All the intuitive enemies; barnacles, headcrabs, bullsquids, marines, black ops, vorginauts, headcrab zombies, tentacles, and those giant blue things The first time I saw a headcrab, I nearly crapped my pants. Even though this was a good 7 years after the game was released, I was still scared to be alone. Just screenshots of the game scared the crap out of me when I was in fifth grade. All the intuitive enemies; barnacles, headcrabs, bullsquids, marines, black ops, vorginauts, headcrab zombies, tentacles, and those giant blue things that were really hard to kill, they all haunted me for another 3 years to come. The playstyle, everything about this game sent shivers down my spine. You'd have to be a monster to not like this game. Expand
  56. MikeU.
    Mar 21, 2008
    Simply one of the best games ever. The single player mode was one of the best I ever played, and the multiplayer was fantastic, with very original maps and fun weapons. The graphics are not that great today, but a team of game developers are making a free mod called Black Mesa: source, which has graphics that are as good as Half-life 2. This will always remain one of the best games ever.
  57. Ryan
    Apr 20, 2008
    There is something about this game that I love. It is not the graphics or story line. It is just a well developed game with smooth, fast paced action and intelligent, inspirational obstacles that give you a sense of proudness if completed. Some people do NOT respect this game for its graphics or style BECAUSE they don't know WHEN it was MADE. This unforgettable game was created in 1997.
  58. Kent
    Apr 25, 2008
    10 seriously is not a high enough rating for this game, there should be a "Half-Life" rating, exclusive to this game. This is and possibly always will be my favourite game. The game play is absolutely amazing. The attention to detail on every level is superb (the casserole in the microwave). It had that something special that made it such a special game, maybe it was the awesome scripted 10 seriously is not a high enough rating for this game, there should be a "Half-Life" rating, exclusive to this game. This is and possibly always will be my favourite game. The game play is absolutely amazing. The attention to detail on every level is superb (the casserole in the microwave). It had that something special that made it such a special game, maybe it was the awesome scripted sequences, the excellent graphics (for its time) and sets, or the good storyline. If you are an FPS fan, you have to complete this game. Just a hint, if you get this game these days try and find what is known as the High Definition pack, it gives the game a great overhaul and the graphics increase is excellent. It basically adds new textures to most of the characters and makes the weapons look far more realistic. It really does add to the playability. Expand
  59. BrandonM
    May 19, 2008
    Easily one the best games I played for its time. The game itself and all of the mods based off its engine literally had me playing the game for 4-5 years until HL2 came out.
  60. AlesG.
    May 27, 2008
    This is seriously one of the best games i have ever played. I just spent my whole day yesterday playing this game. Not only does it make you think (which is great fro most people), but it also scared the crap out of me at some times, surprised me at other times, and it totally broke the annoying box that Videogame companies usually stay in.
  61. JakubS.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This game Is Very good, clear story, GREAT MODS but graphics are outdated.
  62. TylerC.
    Jul 14, 2008
    First off, Steve M. has no idea what he is talking about because this is Half-Life 1, not Half-Life 2 OR The Orange Box. Secondly, this game was and still is a masterpiece of its time. Although it was built off the quake 2 engine, it completely shattered Quake as well as Doom, completely revolutionizing First Person Shooters. Also, just because some amateur from the Cincinnati Enquirer First off, Steve M. has no idea what he is talking about because this is Half-Life 1, not Half-Life 2 OR The Orange Box. Secondly, this game was and still is a masterpiece of its time. Although it was built off the quake 2 engine, it completely shattered Quake as well as Doom, completely revolutionizing First Person Shooters. Also, just because some amateur from the Cincinnati Enquirer does not know how to use the jump button, does not mean the game is frustrating or "almost impossible". Take it from a 10-year Half-Life veteran, there is no better game around than the HL series. Period. Expand
  63. G-man
    Jul 25, 2008
    This is a very good FPS. There's ten years ago when they made this. This game have best storyline in the world. Graphics are not the best but this is old game. I really like it! But Gman is really mysterious, I wanna know more about him.
  64. omglol
    Jul 26, 2008
    Graphics: suck but if you buy Half-Life Source then you can purchase a High-Def pack for it on www.fpsbannana.com. (this rating is not advertising) The High-Def pack gives the weapons a new look. The machinegun in Half-Life looks like an M4. The shotgun looks like it can blow a hole in through a wall. The scientist,security guards and marines all look better with smoother animations. (as Graphics: suck but if you buy Half-Life Source then you can purchase a High-Def pack for it on www.fpsbannana.com. (this rating is not advertising) The High-Def pack gives the weapons a new look. The machinegun in Half-Life looks like an M4. The shotgun looks like it can blow a hole in through a wall. The scientist,security guards and marines all look better with smoother animations. (as do all the monsters) Gameplay: Good Weapons: Good. Expand
  65. AnonymousMC
    Aug 13, 2008
    daca mie mia sa stricat si intru in joc si dau clikpe server si imi apre acolo tot dar apas tab si lista nu apare si ami aleg sa iu tero dar nu ma pot misca si nu pot impusca si cumpara ce sa fac va rog frumos sami raspundeti
  66. TimC.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Without a doubt one of the most ground breaking fps's of all time, brilliant and innovative gameplay from start to finish. I brought this game when it came out, played it to death and i have recently brought it on steam and i am replaying it to death.
  67. CarlV.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Steve M needs to stop sucking at games. It's hard to hit while spraying because spraying is a terrible technique. Anyway, ignoring idiots, this game is amazing. It has a few sections that are tough to get through, but nothing impossible, and the story is one of the best I've seen of any game (and movies actually) to date. If you have not played this game, you do not deserve to Steve M needs to stop sucking at games. It's hard to hit while spraying because spraying is a terrible technique. Anyway, ignoring idiots, this game is amazing. It has a few sections that are tough to get through, but nothing impossible, and the story is one of the best I've seen of any game (and movies actually) to date. If you have not played this game, you do not deserve to play video games. Expand
  68. LukeK.
    Aug 30, 2008
    Awesome game, I still like it and I don't think I can compare any game with this, In my opinion this is better than Halo 1.
  69. NicholasG.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I just completed Half-Life, and boy am I tired. I've gotten little sleep these past 3 days, my eyes have been glued to a monitor for hours and hours on end, and I would do it all over again many times. Of all of the games I've ever played, none have ever reached the level of absolute excellence of this game has. It raised the bar back in 1998, and is still a very stunning I just completed Half-Life, and boy am I tired. I've gotten little sleep these past 3 days, my eyes have been glued to a monitor for hours and hours on end, and I would do it all over again many times. Of all of the games I've ever played, none have ever reached the level of absolute excellence of this game has. It raised the bar back in 1998, and is still a very stunning action/story oriented game that every gamer should play. Expand
  70. JamesB.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Half-Life is undoubtedly the single greatest singleplayer videogame ever created, and it will probably stay that way for a long time to come. Every technical aspect of the game was far ahead of its time, and the guys at Valve made it clever and intuitive, mentally stimulating, intriguing, and most importantly, fun. I have beaten it at least a dozen times now, and even though at this point Half-Life is undoubtedly the single greatest singleplayer videogame ever created, and it will probably stay that way for a long time to come. Every technical aspect of the game was far ahead of its time, and the guys at Valve made it clever and intuitive, mentally stimulating, intriguing, and most importantly, fun. I have beaten it at least a dozen times now, and even though at this point I could probably beat it with my monitor turned off, I still haven't grown bored of it. I'd give this game 100 out of 10 if I could. It really is that great. Expand
  71. Freeman'sMind
    Sep 6, 2008
    @ Steve M. Really, people, get your games right! This is HALF-LIFE not HALF-LIFE 2!! And, in it's defense, they are both part of the greatest series of all time, trust me, I would know. Physics puzzles, action, a new twist on the whole "zombie" concept (which Halo ripped off, by the way), alien border worlds, thousands of multiplayer options, and more, make pretty much any game @ Steve M. Really, people, get your games right! This is HALF-LIFE not HALF-LIFE 2!! And, in it's defense, they are both part of the greatest series of all time, trust me, I would know. Physics puzzles, action, a new twist on the whole "zombie" concept (which Halo ripped off, by the way), alien border worlds, thousands of multiplayer options, and more, make pretty much any game created by Valve a piece of artwork. And seriously, if you are complaining that you won't play a game because you died near the end, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD, then you really need to work on your skills. Stop abusing a game just because you can't play for crap. Expand
  72. ShaunC
    Jan 10, 2009
    It's the best FPS shooter to ever come out. There's nothing wrong with this game at all. People who give this a thumbs down because of graphics are obviously idiots, since they forgot this was released in 1998!!!!!!!! It's got tons of actions, puzzles, and a GREAT story. What more could you want? If you think this is a bad game, then you need to lower your standards for good games.
  73. ChristopherN
    Nov 4, 2009
    Whoever is says the game is boring, junk, useless, repetative, and lame is either a idiot or a moron (or they never played it before). I played it since I was a kid and no kidding this is one heck of a thinking game. Until in high school I tried again and god it's still hard to figure out the clues. It was sometimes so hard that I just gave up and cheated (yeah i cheat but hey i have Whoever is says the game is boring, junk, useless, repetative, and lame is either a idiot or a moron (or they never played it before). I played it since I was a kid and no kidding this is one heck of a thinking game. Until in high school I tried again and god it's still hard to figure out the clues. It was sometimes so hard that I just gave up and cheated (yeah i cheat but hey i have a life). I missed the game so much that I was ready to buy the game as soon as I got to high school. DONT MISS THIS CHANCE BUY IT! Expand
  74. JamesS
    Dec 10, 2009
    By far the best FPS ever made only the sequel comes close. A must buy for anyone.
  75. CodyB
    Jan 29, 2009
    This game was made 10 years ago and it's still one of my favorites. That's staying power that only a games like Diablo or Starcraft has. No other FPS of it's time and no over non-Valve has had such an impact on the gaming world like the HL series.
  76. AnonymousMC
    Mar 11, 2009
    Great game . Cant find other words then just its a great game which for me started the journey into the lands of the fps and to the one dude who said that ff7 was better , no it wasnt . Half life owns this bitch and to compare an 2 year old game with an 10 year old ? How old are you 5 ? ... tss
  77. AnonymousMC
    Mar 31, 2009
    This is was the best game of its time. While not the "best game" today it inspired most current games. If you like Deus EX, Bioshock, COD, F.E.A.R. or any fps with a story then you can thank Half-Life. This game changed everything when it was made from from developers supporting mods to story telling in games.
  78. AnonymousCriticAnon
    Apr 19, 2009
    Half-Life 1 is a masterpiece of a game. The atmosphere is real great. You really feel like you are working in Black Mesa and the scientists are your colleagues. The gameplay is a bit old, but it still have some very entertaining weapons which normal FPS games even today don't have. Overall Half-Life 1 did alost everything good and it is a shame, that Half-Life 2 wasn't trying to Half-Life 1 is a masterpiece of a game. The atmosphere is real great. You really feel like you are working in Black Mesa and the scientists are your colleagues. The gameplay is a bit old, but it still have some very entertaining weapons which normal FPS games even today don't have. Overall Half-Life 1 did alost everything good and it is a shame, that Half-Life 2 wasn't trying to put up such great new stuff like Half-Life 1 did. Expand
  79. AnonymousMC
    Apr 21, 2009
    Mike J: This game is just crap. So boring and gay. FF7 is a game with a great story. This was just gay........... You're joking right? Final fantasy is possibly the most boring slice of excrement ever finely sprayed over the population of the world. HL on the other hand is magic :)
  80. ShockK
    Apr 7, 2009
    The best PC game ever created until the release of Half-Life 2. Story telling doesn't get much better than this. The engine also revolutionized gaming by helping introduce such memorable modifications as the all-popular Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Sven Coop (worth a mention), They Hunger and an assload more. I've had years of fun playing this game and all its The best PC game ever created until the release of Half-Life 2. Story telling doesn't get much better than this. The engine also revolutionized gaming by helping introduce such memorable modifications as the all-popular Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Sven Coop (worth a mention), They Hunger and an assload more. I've had years of fun playing this game and all its delicious mods. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this game doesn't know what they're talking about. Expand
  81. Anselt
    May 21, 2009
    Simply amazing. Half Life is my favorite game and in my opinion, almost rivals Half Life 2. Don't let the crappy graphics fool you, you wont be able to stop once you start.
  82. JoshC
    May 27, 2009
    This game is unbeatable. When you think of a 1998 video game, it my be bad in graphics, lacking a real storyline, etc etc. However, still I find myself booting up the game just to re-live the action of Gordon Freeman again and again. This is truly an "oldie but goodie".
  83. PeteH
    May 31, 2009
    This game is the best i've ever played, I remember the day it came out back in '98. all these people are giving it zero's because they arn't reading what game it is, or think that it was made this year! BEST GAME EVER!
  84. MeNotYou
    Jul 13, 2009
    I can't see why anyone is slating this game for anything. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. The graphics were amazing for it's time, and are great for anyone with a very bad computer. The multiplayer, while filled with bot players and very few actual ones, is quite enjoyable when you find a game with actual people. I can't see why anyone is slating this game for anything. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played despite it coming out so long ago. The graphics were amazing for it's time, and are great for anyone with a very bad computer. The multiplayer, while filled with bot players and very few actual ones, is quite enjoyable when you find a game with actual people. The levels were fun, getting progressively harder and more exciting. Puzzles were great. I love it, and I can't see how anyone would hate it and if they do they should sit down and eat shit waffles. Expand
  85. DylanB
    Aug 24, 2009
    I'm writing this on August 25, 2009. I am a huge fan of the Half Life series. I've played all the other Half Life games in the series and I recently added HL1 to my collection. This is, without a doubt, the best FPS computer game I have ever played. And this is 9 years after its released! I don't know much about the graphics, sound effects, AI, and voice acting in '98 I'm writing this on August 25, 2009. I am a huge fan of the Half Life series. I've played all the other Half Life games in the series and I recently added HL1 to my collection. This is, without a doubt, the best FPS computer game I have ever played. And this is 9 years after its released! I don't know much about the graphics, sound effects, AI, and voice acting in '98 but these probably top most of them back then. This game does get pretty tough if you don't plan ahead but none the less, its still a great game. Expand
  86. GaborA.
    Nov 11, 2003
    A revolution. You forget that the keyboard is at your fingertips. Long, challenging, beautiful, and most importantly fun. An interactive epic which make you want to chant when the game is over.
  87. HobartJ.
    Jul 11, 2003
    Amazing!
  88. BradD.
    Jul 14, 2003
    5 years later this game still kicks the ass of any major contendor. Not just in my opinion, but in the eyes of many PROFESSIONAL video game critics this is the BEST GAME EVER WRITTEN! Buy this now! Its like 20 bucks. Plus you get to play counter strike and day of defeat for 10 dollars less than the retail box's are.
  89. HaydenJ.
    Sep 17, 2003
    First of all- this game kicks ass. Graphics-good even by todays standards story-best fps story ever gameplay- fun as hell, not to mention counte-strike w00t now for all you n00bs saying the graphics suck-- turn the graphics to Open GL mode on 1600 by 1200 pixels, if your computer can even handle that, then talk to me whether u think the graphics are good or not.
  90. ANGELM.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Another incredible game.
  91. KevM.
    Nov 14, 2006
    This game is a classic that will go down in history with games like doom and quake. Truely a first person shooter pioneer in pc games.
  92. AnonymousMC
    Dec 14, 2006
    9.4
    To the point:: This game should become an all-time favorite, even 15 years from now.
    9.4

P.S. cincinati gamer, you guys are such an embarrasment to the gaming world. you're bitching at a game (that took me 1 DAY to beat) b/c it was too hard for you? do you even known how to play video games? are you mentally challenged? do you lack 1 or more appendages? maybe a dick or a ball here and there? In any case, u dickless, retarded freaks, giving a game a lower than suited score simply b/c you suck at video games is not an ok option. If its too hawd fo da lil baby, don't fucking play it pussy. i mean cmon, you sound like a such a big vagina... "you'll be forced to make almost impossible jumps" DUDE, STFU!! I've seen 8 year olds that would own you in gaming.. and yet your a game critic? Dude, kill yourself b4 i have to.
  93. FedorH.
    Dec 19, 2006
    The best game ever made!
  94. WesleyV.
    Dec 23, 2006
    Very nice game
  95. JoeR.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Debated as the best PC game of all time. Online mutliplayer is incredible. The story of the game is genius. Still selling today!
  96. ArturoG.
    May 13, 2006
    Its simply the best game ever made, no comments. Those who say its not, it either cuz they are not huge game fans, or they did not play it when it was released, of course if u play doom 3 and farcry and other games, and then u meet half life, u wont find it as good as if it was before.
  97. AntonA.
    May 17, 2006
  98. ElijahW.
    May 24, 2006
    Still kicks butt, even after playing farcry and HL 2 before it. lol. awesomeness to the creators.
  99. AnthonyP.
    May 25, 2006
    Best first person shooter of its time. Very addictive!
  100. MegatronS.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Excellent game. I have been playing it for over 5 years now and I still love it.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]