7.3

1. Sep 15, 2011
    This game is absolutely horrible. Imagine Doom with only two weapons, a small variety of enemies and completely linear maps. There is little in way of player decision or choice save for what you upgrade: and even that is rather meh, because all the upgrades are simply plonked onto the same two weapons and are powered by the same two ammo types. Plotwise? In truth, I wish there wasn't a plot, because what little plot there was was laughable and presented poorly. I thought the Max Payne noir-esque aesthetic interesting, but the comic art was not very well drawn, and contrasted jarringly and greatly with the in-game aesthetic, which was brighter and more colourful.

To be fair, I found the in-game aesthetic to be rather nice. A lot of detail went into the environments of the early maps: look up and you'll see wires dangling all over the place, with massive blimps crossing the skies above said wires and neonsigns. But that was pretty much it: it just looked nice, but did little more. The game simply didn't engage the player on a level, which was a great shame because the game, as a cyberpunk FPS, had potential.

All in all, I'll say it's a game that you should only get if you're a big fan of Doom, Unreal or other old-school shooters; and even then only when it's on discount.
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    Imo, when an indie dev needs to make compromises, the first things that need to go are voice acting, music, & high-end graphics. The one area that should not be compromised is gameplay, and thats where this game fails for me. I mean super meatboy looked like ass, but the game play was clever and fun, the reverse is true here.

The controls get flaky when action heats up, terrible
    lighting (I'm a military grade security cyborg, but I cant work a flashlight so I have to stumble around in the dark???), dumbass invisible walls EVERYWHERE, dumbass gates that remain locked only to stop the game from being 20 minutes long, check points only (ugg) that force you to repeatedly play boring sections, poor weapon upgrade paths that if you choose 'wrong' make it impossible to kill every boss, very limited number of types of enemies...

The game could have been really really good, you know Blade Runner meets Terminator. But the huge number of compromises that were made because of budget restrictions or whatever to the gameplay render the game dull and frustrating. Maybe they could have spent less on music, actors, and graphics and a little more on gameplay dev. Nonetheless, I'm glad an indie shooter PC only game was released in 2011 and I'm glad I could support them with my $15. Bring on the new and improved Hard Reset II!
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    This is a boring mindless repetitive shooter with a story that it meaningless to the game and you can even skip it. You shoot machines. They are alien and bad and come in waves at you. Shooting at the machines can be fun at times especially that the graphics are quite nice and game is well optimized. It will probably run with no problems even on older pc. But the locations are over utilized. You just find yourself spending too much time in the one location. Gave up at 5 as I find myself just wanting to finish the game and forget about it. There are some many better games out there. Go get something better. Spend your precious time with a better game. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2012
    good graphics, good sounds. nice light effects. the music is a pain in the arse. its not my kind of game, just monotonous enemy spam without any sense á la serious sam. there are not even many different kinds of enemies. basically the game consists of spraying with your gun and unlocking doors. it might be fun for a few minutes, but then i got tired of it. very sad cause the detailed level design looks promising.

its for sure overpriced and not a must have.
  5. Jan 6, 2012
    I really wanted to enjoy Hard Reset, but unfortunately it's desire to constantly jam you in confined locations with crappy, underpowered weapons and scads of unavoidable, dead-shot enemies make it nearly impossible to have fun with. Personally, I play games for fun. If you're one of those basement-dwelling douchebags who thinks playing games with punishing difficulty is some kind of achievement in life, maybe Hard Reset is your cup of tea. For everyone else who prefers to have fun while they game, look elsewhere. Expand
  6. nop
    Apr 17, 2012
    Bad design. Too much of it. While this game is occasionally fun, it can't compare with classic shooters, like Quake. On the quality of game design it can only be compared with Daikatana or Chasm: the Rift. Graphics engine is ok, but there is too much cheating, one object has shadow, object next to it doesn't. Some things look like they were made for 90's game. Lighting feels wrong. Weapon system sucks, because effects of some weapons seem to be duplicated, and you frequently need two button presses to select one you need, can easily die while doing it. Some weapons, like smart gun, are too cheap, and there is no fun in using them.
    Dumb story. Irritating in it's stupidity and pointlessness.
    Still, I finished this game and would give it a 6 or 7, because it still made me remember some good games of old, better than this one. But points are deducted for their shameless self promotion tactics. Using classic writers and games to promote this mediocrity? Writing dozens of fake reviews and up voting them? You deserve to burn in hell for that.
    And in case someone wants to play a much better fast-paced 4-hour game with cyborgs, transforming weapon, lots explosions and huge robot bosses, try Vanquish.
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    Hard Reset has great graphics, great musical score and an excellent cyberpunk setting, the surroundings have a strange kind of beauty to them despite the dystopian setting. The story isn't anything to write home about, doesn't make any sense and has some very low-budget voice-acting but since it's all about shooting robots, it doesn't really matter any way. The player is equipped with two firearms, one energy-based and one projectile-based, and these can be upgraded at terminals that are placed throughout the game's maps. The player can also upgrade other statistics related to the avatar's health and shield and unlock new abilities. Health is regained by picking up health-boosts and shield regenerates automatically. Oddly enough, the shield doesn't block all damage and you will loose health even if your shield is up to full strength. Why the developer didn't just call it "armour" is beyond me. Unfortunately, this game is marred by seriously bad design decisions that eventually made me give up on the game. First of all; the developer has a habbit of blocking the way behind you and then throwing wave after wave of enemies at you. It doesn't just do this once but most, if not all, battles begin and end in the same spot, namely with your back to the wall spamming your area-of-effect weapons at kamikaze robots until they stop. There are some interesting enemies like the one that charges you but once you figure out how to deal with him, he's not much of a challenge. Most of the time you'll die due to a lack of health rather than tactical ingenuity on the AI's side. The other problem is when you upgrade your character and choose the wrong types of upgrades, it will make the game very difficult later on as you'll at some point discover that you're lacking the right type of weapon for the job. It also isn't always clear what an upgrade does and you might find an effect to not be worth the hard-fought point but that's just too bad because the game doesn't allow you to respecify your character, forcing you to not only walk around with a less-than-optimal load-out but also barring the player from experimenting. Weapon switching is rather slow for such a fast-paced shooter and the way you switch between weapons and their mods is confusing in the middle of a difficult fight. Not to mention the designer's decision to not include a savegame system but instead rely on checkpoints, often forcing you to replay sections of the game just to get back to the part where you died. All in all, Hard Reset does some things right but it gets the fundamentals all wrong, resulting in a shooter that's more frustrating than fun, especially on higher difficulties. Expand
  8. Jul 17, 2012
    Good old-scool hardcore shooter. I enjoyed it for 8 hours.
    Story isn't too cool, but interesting. Shooting robots is funny. Especially shooting big boses. When i say big i mean 15 meters hight spider or 30 meters hight big guy.
    Graphic is pretty good. Enjoyed game on hight graphic settings,
    Sound is awesome too.
  9. Oct 27, 2011
    $30, no multiplayer, 4 hours long, terrible mechanics, linear as **** maps, no story what so ever.

Imagine a **** modern version of Doom or other classic shooters. For a game that wanted to try and bring back classic FPS gameplay they sure bog themselves down in terrible modern tropes.
  10. Sep 24, 2011
    I wanted to like this game. A PC exclusive steampunk FPS with promises of sandbox levels full of exploration and lots of secrets? Hell yes! Unfortunately it fails to deliver in almost all categories. I expected much more from the graphics. My 3-year-old PC played the game smoothly on ultra settings. I miss the days when "Ultra" or "Max" settings would bring a 1-year-old PC to its knees. Music is decent but repetitive. Voice acting is bad and in many cases cringe-worthy. Story, while not terribly important in an FPS is boring. Levels are linear and repetitive. Secrets are too easy to find. Combat is relatively fun at least, and there is a good variety weapons since each of the two guns has 5 unique modes. Finally, I don't like the fact that the first patch straight up decreased the difficulty. There was absolutely no reason for that. If you're an FPS fan, it might be worth picking up on sale since it's cheap to begin with, but the game had so much more potential. Expand
  11. Sep 17, 2011
    the game is pretty but it sucks. It controls like an old doom game, two weapons and the sounds are so unrealistic this game should have bean on a phone.
  12. Dec 14, 2011
    Absolutely not worth to buy neither to play. I haven't seen any more awfully executed mess of a game than this. It might be fun for a few minutes, but once you've seen past the facades a big WTF overcomes you.
  13. Jul 18, 2012
    The level design is superb but the gameplay sucks because you know immediately that in some spot you have to fight and the stupid developers like to shut the way you where coming from and don't let you retreat....they using this dumb technique many times.....to annoy us! I never had this problem in other ego-shooter games before! This is a real pain in the arse if you are playing it in insane mode you will die many time because of this **** Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2012
    OMG, this game has no story and is so boring. Every environment looks exactly the same, and even though you are going through a city exterminating robots, you never see any other people.
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    Boring repetitive beta full of bugs. This is not old-school, it is just an unfinished beta. It is extremely short: not the 4 hours I have read elsewhere, but just 4 minutes. The rest of the 4 hours are infinite repetitions of the same boring unfinished graphics demo.
  16. Jan 3, 2013
    Short campaign with no multiplayer, no replay value, and a nonsensical (poorly translated?) story that ends abruptly. I really wanted to like this but at only 6 hours long the only remarkable thing about it are the graphics and weapon customization. The environments have plenty of interaction but most of the game involves you backpedaling through corridors and tunnels. Linearity and frustratingly uneven difficulty makes this game hard to recommend. Expand
  17. Sep 29, 2013
    This is an awful game do NOT buy it, the weapons are bland and boring and the level design is sinfully awful. If you enjoy mindless, boring, unstimulating repetition while walking forward through an unmentionably terrible amalgamation of a game then go on ahead and buy this product.

1. Apr 27, 2012
    Hard Reset isn't a bad game, but it's rote old school sensibility has passed me by. I don't have the same kind of reflexes I did 5 or 10 years ago to properly appreciate the twitch elements, so maybe I have to take some responsibility on that front. For me, Hard Reset is unremarkable because it seems about 5 years too late for me.
  2. Nov 17, 2011
    Hard Reset also does a lot of cool things in games that I wish we'd see more of, and it does them well. Interfacing with fictional computer terminals is fun, and scoping the strong art direction does a lot to set the game in a fairly original virtual setting.
    Short life span but budget price – this science-fiction inspired first person shooter has a lot to offer with stunning visuals and perfect old-school playability. Pity there's not a multiplayer option. [Nov 2011]