Homeworld 2 PC

8.3

1. Mar 13, 2015
    In term of story , it wasn't as good as the first one , and i wasn't inspire by their fight ,,,, it's a good space simulation to challenge your skill ,,, but story wise , it's was weak ,, especially the ending , where they hint of a 3rd installment , that didn't peak my interest either ,,, all n all , not bad RTS game to pass time with
  2. Aug 16, 2014
    Homeworld 2 is a very detailed RTS game. One of first things player learns is that you can't just throw ships at the enemy and expect success - instead, you have to manage the fleet, using right types of ships at the right time, and you have to correctly identify most important pieces in enemy's game and take them out, especially since you will typically be outnumbered and outgunned.Homeworld 2 is a very detailed RTS game. One of first things player learns is that you can't just throw ships at the enemy and expect success - instead, you have to manage the fleet, using right types of ships at the right time, and you have to correctly identify most important pieces in enemy's game and take them out, especially since you will typically be outnumbered and outgunned.

Story is engaging, while not as epic in scale as Homeworld 1's. Environments created for the game look nice, and all ships have logical, utilitarian design for their purpose. Hiigarans and Vaygr have very different gameplay styles, so you will have to learn to exploit enemy's weaknesses and compensate for your own.
  3. May 21, 2014
    I still play this game at least 3 times a week.

The vanilla HW2 I would give an 8 in comparison to the original Homeworld.

However, the incredible mod, Homeworld:Complex bumps my rating to a 10.

It's an incredible RTS and still the standard.
  4. Sep 23, 2013
    A fine game but it didnt absorbed me into its world.Still if you like the role of a space commander this game is just for you.I am more of a footsholdier, I wanna smell the blood so this game is not for me.I liked the simple controls but after a little I felt tired of the repetition.
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    This is still a fabulous game! I've got a PC dedicated to this with an old Window XP HW HW2 that I wont touch "just in case..". Looking forward to the new "brushed up version" from Steam.
    MY money is ready to be spent! :D
  6. Dec 28, 2012
    Loved this game. The whole experience is great. Great visuals, sfx, soundtrack, campaign and the two races are different (which was a great improvement on the first). Only thing I didnt like was the limit to each class (Which was removed in a number of mods). Still having an active modding community and many,many players nearly 10 years after release really shows why this is one of theLoved this game. The whole experience is great. Great visuals, sfx, soundtrack, campaign and the two races are different (which was a great improvement on the first). Only thing I didnt like was the limit to each class (Which was removed in a number of mods). Still having an active modding community and many,many players nearly 10 years after release really shows why this is one of the best games ever made. Oh if only there was a Homeworld 3!! Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2012
    Homeworld 2 is a great example of what space RTs gaming should be like. It has a deep, intelligent gameplay, great campaign, and amazing graphics that still shine to this day. I recommend that any RTS fans should get this game.
  8. Sep 22, 2011
    You have to keep in mind, back in the old days I had only dabbled in a bit of C&C red alert and Starcraft as far as RTSs go. They weren't anything special, I was far more involved in FPSs. So then, being a Trekkie... I go and buy Star Trek Armada. Ultimately a fun game, one of the better Star Trek games ever made, but pretty much a disappointment if you expected it to be more thenYou have to keep in mind, back in the old days I had only dabbled in a bit of C&C red alert and Starcraft as far as RTSs go. They weren't anything special, I was far more involved in FPSs. So then, being a Trekkie... I go and buy Star Trek Armada. Ultimately a fun game, one of the better Star Trek games ever made, but pretty much a disappointment if you expected it to be more then Starcraft with starships. Then Homeworld 2 came out (I missed the boat on HW1), and what a revelation. Completely 3D environment, with no basebuilding, intelligent fleet formations and fighters all swarming around on their own. It was simply incredible. All from a completely new studio, out of the blue.

And the environments they created... were completely breathtaking. Every Relic game has had that unique Relic art direction that utilizes quality concept art to bring the game to life. It's completely unrealistic, but space never looked more beautiful then in HW2. FreeSpace games come close, but staring at some of the backgrounds as your battle-weary ships sail past... it's majestic, breathtaking, elegant, operatic, awe inspiring... like looking at a brilliant sunset in autumn. The grandeur of the cosmos was perfectly captured.

I dunno... it was the first, and still stands as the greatest 3D space RTS ever, as few of those as there are.
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    What an amazing game... and an extremely hard game. The tactics required are much different - it's much more about managing your build queues and pointing your fleet at the right group of enemies. I loved HW1, and (as can be expected any just about any sequel, realistically) this game lacked a bit of the "Wow factor" that my nostalgic memories recall, but it was nonetheless extremelyWhat an amazing game... and an extremely hard game. The tactics required are much different - it's much more about managing your build queues and pointing your fleet at the right group of enemies. I loved HW1, and (as can be expected any just about any sequel, realistically) this game lacked a bit of the "Wow factor" that my nostalgic memories recall, but it was nonetheless extremely enjoyable.

Just be prepared to play the levels over and over again. The difficulty is no joke, you are always overpowered. Just (utmost importance) manage your build queues and rally points properly, know what ships are good against other ships, and remember to use resource collectors to keep your Capital Ships alive (much more important that collecting resources, later on), and you'll get through it eventually.

A masterpiece just below the level of HW1 in terms of innovation, and well ahead of it as far as graphics. Challenging, but fun even despite it's balancing flaws. 8/10
  10. Jan 30, 2011
    Looking back after playing various other space based online games Homeworld could have brought a little more to the table other than being a build and shoot type of game. The game could have introduced mini-missions within the actual mission itself in order to continue to the next level of the game. If you didn't complete the mini-mission's which could have been as easy as repairing anLooking back after playing various other space based online games Homeworld could have brought a little more to the table other than being a build and shoot type of game. The game could have introduced mini-missions within the actual mission itself in order to continue to the next level of the game. If you didn't complete the mini-mission's which could have been as easy as repairing an engine within a certain amount of time to a full fledged mission on a planet to set up forward bases or to collect resources.Adding better gaming attributes would allow the gamer or what could be called a Pilot or Navigator in the space based genre of video gaming to switch between the styles of play. One style would be the same as if you were playing Homeworld in the first person build and shoot category. But while you are waiting for the enemy to arrive in which you would gloriously destroy them something goes wrong on one of the ships. You race to the ship to find out that enemy saboteurs have take over a command and control ship with vital intelligence reports located in the computer system. Now you must clean out the attackers before they can either escape with the vital information or the ship is destroyed thus causing your over all mission success to deteriorate as well as possibly losing. As your ship approaches the disabled and captive CnC ship the game play goes from ship shooter to a first person shooter style setting. Now you have to set your teams weapons up to get them ready for the mission ahead. Seven routes to the main control deck housing the CNC ships main computer and the intel reports and five routes to the engines where the enemy is placing charges to blow the ship if they are caught now directs your skills as operating two to five teams of soldiers. The operation of each team would be a Ghost Recon style set-up where you program each solider to preform a certain function within the group. Once the mission has been completed you would reboard your ship and return to the Mothership continuing your build-up of ships and technology. Other aspects that could be incorporated into a new version of Homeworld would be that you could engage in missions to secure enemy technology that would benefit your fleet operations against them. During a recon attack several recon battleships of the enemy are destroyed leaving their hulks behind. One of the scout ships passes close by to them. The mission trigger is swtiched on and gives you the oppurtunity to search the destroyed ships for anything of value. Once again the player is taken from the build and shoot style back into the first person aspect of the game where they investigate the wrecks for technology or information that could increase the players side advantage over the other. But be careful taking too long might keep you locked into the first person shooter portion of the game as the enemy drops out of warp near your fleet. As you watch they methodically tear it too pieces before your eyes....if you had only.......you think to yourself as the oxygen slowly drains from your tanks, the rest of your crew slumped against the bulkhead...the enemy leaving hours before...you are the last of your kind...if you had only.....

I did enjoy Homeworld however and would very much so like a new version to be released into the mainframe of the gaming world.
  11. RickH
    Jan 3, 2010
    I've beaten and replayed Homeworld 1 and HW Cataclysm more times than I can count (each time experimenting with different strategies or using different units in ways I never had before just for the sake of experimentation and innovation). Dedicating countless hours just experimenting with every concievable tactic and use of the different ships in HW and HWC was a satisfying ordeal I've beaten and replayed Homeworld 1 and HW Cataclysm more times than I can count (each time experimenting with different strategies or using different units in ways I never had before just for the sake of experimentation and innovation). Dedicating countless hours just experimenting with every concievable tactic and use of the different ships in HW and HWC was a satisfying ordeal that helped one to appreciate the varying strenghts (and weaknesses) of each ship. I empathize with the intentions of the development team behind HW2 however this game is a frustratingly bittersweet experience at best. Graphically stunning with elegant backdrops; attractively designed ships; smooth animation physics; intense sound effects; as well as beautifuly rendered lighting/ particle effects are just some of the many possitive attributes HW2 uses to immerse the player into the complex and cinematic battles like no other RTS. Where then, did it all go wrong you ask? It fell apart in four critical areas. The story driven (vice gameplay...or atleast a mix of the two) mission designs, the absurdly imbalanced enemy A.I., the low survivability of capital ships, and unresponsive strike group tactics. Like so many have stated before, HW2 doesn't let the player "play". It instead puts them on a train and shuttles them through each mission giving them no opportunity to (1) regroup and rebuild an the end of a challenging mission; (2) admire and absorb the beauty of the game and ship designs with some down time. The enemy AI is frustrating, not because it's actually good but because as it merely overwhelms the player with countless waves of unrelenting attacks. From the beginning of the game you're always reacting to a preemptive attack ever on the defensive. A typical game play experience goes like this: You're purposely placed at a tactical disadvantage as per story narration and you narrowly fend of an attack and flee to rebuild your fleet. In the mission where you're supposed to rebuild, you get...you guessed it, surprise attacked by ungodly numbers of enemies which you of course, defeat but at great cost to the fleet you were supposed to rebuild. The game auto-harvests the resources in the sector and shuttles you off to the next mission with said fleet still decimated. In the next mission the theme is for you to finally launch an attack of your own for what they did to you in the first mission. Alas, you cannot, because you're using the period of time when they don't know you're there to rebuild your fleet from the last encounter. Well too bad! because the theme of the last mission was "rebuild fleet", this one is "let's make them pay"...you don't have all day to stall before an enemy scout patrol discovers you and you loose the element of surprise. Oops! I spoke too soon you've been discovered and, you guessed it, waves upon waves of enemies are heading your way and they don't really care that you've only managed to rebuild 50% of your fleet. Another scenario is: Through sheer strategy, perseverance and the infinite RU cheat, you're 3/4ths of the way through the game and you've finally researched/discovered the biggest and baddest ships in the galaxy. Your fleet is large and impressive and you can't wait to see it in action. Fear not, because exactly one mission after acquiring the baddest ships in the quasar you'll be out numbered and outmatched 6 to 1. The heaviest ships will have an average life expectancy of 45 seconds and smaller warships will last all but 10 seconds tops when the fighting starts. Oh yeah, even with 3 carriers and 1 mothership on "pump-em-out-as-you-loose-em" mode you can't replace them fast enough. This brings us to the survivability of the capital ships. In HW1 a force of 40 strike crafts vs. a frigate is an ordeal that equals a 2 to 4 minite struggle before the frigate succumbs. You get the impression that the frigate is a ship, with shiplike armor and a crew of around 150 (like the manual indicates). A vessel carrying that much people should struggle for a while before being destroyed. In HW2 the ships are fancy and make you want to get attached to the survival of each one as you imagine the crew onboard. But as 4 squadrons of strike fighters (not even bombers) can make short work of an expensive frigate in HW2, you start to question the worth of each ship. Combining ships in a strike group is a partial solution at best. When a strike group enters combat, each ship attempts to attack what its good at attacking. Unfortunately, the different subclasses of ships always break ranks in every engagement. Imagine your frustration when you have a tightly grouped and protected formation on a collision course with an enemy battle group. You give the command for all units to force-attack the biggest enemy threat...which they all do. Problem is, 7 flak frigates caravan out from the formation one behind the other while they fire away. On the left, 5 torpedo frigates do the same. The ion canon frigates follow suit while the destroyer (the slowest one in the group) hangs way behind. After your strike package disperses, you then loose positive control as they're strewn across the battle space. Because each unit has specific strenghts and weaknesses, the enemy AI then exploits this lack of protection and you get to watch as your expensive warships get wasted one after the other. It seems someone at Relic forgot what it was like to have all ships attack a singular target from the wall formation of HW1...or the envelopement effects of the sphere formation in said game. No. We're left with a strike group that looks mean en-route but turns into an "every-man-for-himself" frenzy when the fighting starts. Also, an area of note on the story driven mission design I forgot to mention...After you've prepared for an impending enemy onslaught by placing your ships in a strike group, the story cutscene interjects with one more alert (usually of yet even more enemies coming from the rear as well) and automatically places all your ships back to parade formation. So now that you're royally unprepared your strategy is a mess as you attempt to reselect your units that are..you guessed it, already zigging and zagging all over the place fighting the enemy as individuals. The reason I said I could empathize with the developers is because while this game was being made, various interviews with them had expressed this installment's emphasis on strategy. Back then, they maintained that HW1 & HWC had loopholes that players exploited to make the game easier. In one respect I guess they're right. By the time I got to the last mission of HW1 I had close to 400 ships (Turanic Raider, Khadeshi, Taiidan). Heck, I even tried to capture the junk yard-dog ship. I've used over 30 salvage corvettes and 3 cloak gens in a sphere formation far above or below every major battle keeping them infinately invisible as an option while the battle raged on. HWC offered so many unique and specialized crafts that I couldn't help but exploit them. Therein lies what I believe is true strategy and replayability. I say this because...not once did I have to resort to outside cheating (manipulating of RUs, etc) just to survive. Simply put, the capture ploy is a strategy in and of itself for it is also a design feature of the game. It is not always easy, nor is it always successful. It requires dedication of time and concentration. Often times a 30 minute mission can turn into a 4 hr mission depending on how prepared one wants to be in the end. Simply design a game, make it challenging yet fair and above all else, let the player determine what methods he/she would like to use to reach the finish based on the tools you've given him/her. Replaying HW2 in order to go back and try something new will always lead back to "that one thing that works" and nothing else. When it comes to HW2, why should I have to maneuver my forces to delicately destroy all but 1 enemy craft just to keep from triggering a silly narration that would pit me against insurmountable odds before I'm ready? You see dear developers, that which i've just mentioned can either be seen as a loophole or a strategy for survival. Ultimately, the exploitation of loopholes and weaknesses is the goal of every strategist. Despite this fact, trying to force players to use strategy by using imbalance and rushing them will often effect more tactics to undermine the game's design itself vice the enemies within. Criticize this post if you like. Truth is i'm just a casual gamer who liked the HW games so much that I spent alot of time playing them. And so, 3/4ths of the way through HW2 when I saw how little value was placed on anything less than a battlecruiser or the dreadnought, I felt that the developers relegated all previous technologies to utter uslessness well before the game was over and just decided to uninstall and forget about HW2. But I couldn't...because of those overwhelmingly possitive qualities I mentioned earlier. So i keep it im my collection for the day a patch comes out that can correct these issues. Expand
  12. ErikM
    Apr 14, 2009
    Never has there been a game worthy of the Title Real Time Strategy before. Its a revaamped version of Homeworld -- Stunning Graphics and a beautiful audio design. While the interface will prove to be unfamiliar to those who played homeworlds 1 and Cataclysm, the masters at Relic have streamlined it, and you'll soon realize that it's better. There has been nothing that made the Never has there been a game worthy of the Title Real Time Strategy before. Its a revaamped version of Homeworld -- Stunning Graphics and a beautiful audio design. While the interface will prove to be unfamiliar to those who played homeworlds 1 and Cataclysm, the masters at Relic have streamlined it, and you'll soon realize that it's better. There has been nothing that made the first ones strong that they didn't take out or change, and the changed just about everthing that made them weak. If the game was still 50 bucks, I would still say GET IT. Expand
  13. MichaelM.
    Apr 29, 2007
    First about all the whine about the interface: Get over it! Adapt and adjust. One should think humans didn't have these abilities, the way you rant on about the interface. It works fine and is the most logical interface of the three games. Gees.. About the game: As with the others sound and grafics are just awsome. As simple as that. The gameplay is the same, although the formation First about all the whine about the interface: Get over it! Adapt and adjust. One should think humans didn't have these abilities, the way you rant on about the interface. It works fine and is the most logical interface of the three games. Gees.. About the game: As with the others sound and grafics are just awsome. As simple as that. The gameplay is the same, although the formation bit is just useless, compared to Homeworld. Swarm combat is what winnes the battles for you and it gets a bit repetitive, but still leaves you with a good feeling of power. The storyline isn't as deep and compelling as in Homeworld, but it still is fare better then 95% of all other games made today. It just goes to show just how brilliant Homeworld is. The story is wrapped up nice and clean and even leaves room for a Homeworld 2 sequal (Age of S'Jet). All in all it is well worth the time and it is a true Homeworld game. The Homeworld Trilogy is still the best Sci-fi story I have played. Expand
  14. JasonS.
    Apr 12, 2007
    The game is seriously oversimplified and totally ruined much of what made Homeworld a great game.
  15. FredE.
    Sep 10, 2005
    The audio&visual artists did a fine job on this title and the engine looks good. On the game design side I have to say it showed little intelligence. Truly amateurish. The tactics and strategies of this game can only be interresting to a computer. For me it looks like hard work playing this game. The bottom line of the game seems to be this: harvest, build, build; throw your pretty little The audio&visual artists did a fine job on this title and the engine looks good. On the game design side I have to say it showed little intelligence. Truly amateurish. The tactics and strategies of this game can only be interresting to a computer. For me it looks like hard work playing this game. The bottom line of the game seems to be this: harvest, build, build; throw your pretty little toys at his; repeat... Perhaps in the next 5 years the RTS copycat industry would learn something from games like Opperation Flashpoint. Expand
  16. StephenD.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Excellent sequel. The graphics are unbelievable and are much more advanced then any other RTS space based game. Excellent game for good space-time battles of the fleets.
  17. LokeszH.
    Oct 25, 2004
    Real downer this one. Try to play bad! Loose almost everything before you just win a scenario. The AI is 'adaptive' and throws 4 times your amount of ships in the next scenario.
  18. RavindK.
    Oct 7, 2004
    I played HWC, and i loved it. You really had to think, the AI level was well balanced-easy at first, much much harder later. There were some levels that were easy, some hard. but always there was space to breathe. IN HW2, there is no room to breathe. yeah great graphics, great gameplay, but whats the point if the game is bad? the AI only knows one thing-build build build build build build.I played HWC, and i loved it. You really had to think, the AI level was well balanced-easy at first, much much harder later. There were some levels that were easy, some hard. but always there was space to breathe. IN HW2, there is no room to breathe. yeah great graphics, great gameplay, but whats the point if the game is bad? the AI only knows one thing-build build build build build build. And you can only build build build build build. theres no end to it. at the third level, when the three carriers appear, i had 5 bomber squadrons. i hit on fighter facility, went to the next, and when i got that, the other was rebuilt! i give up. Expand
  19. Eron
    Apr 20, 2004
    Kinda blah after playing HW1 and HWC, nice graphics but I would have perfered if they kept the old interface and options for formations. It was an ok game but it just didnt stand out.
  20. Deeznutz
    Apr 19, 2004
    This is an unbelievable upgrade to the engine of the first game. With even better plot and action, the game lets you deal with more engaging parts of controlling, aside from harvesting.
  21. Dylan
    Jan 14, 2004
    This game is beautiful. It has some cons, but it's pros outweigh those. The interface is much improved (aside from lack of formations), the graphics are amazing, and the addition of hazardous gas clouds (as well as being able to charge ordinary gas clouds with weapons) a great innovation to create obstacles and barriers in space. I miss the kamikaze attack, I miss full control of This game is beautiful. It has some cons, but it's pros outweigh those. The interface is much improved (aside from lack of formations), the graphics are amazing, and the addition of hazardous gas clouds (as well as being able to charge ordinary gas clouds with weapons) a great innovation to create obstacles and barriers in space. I miss the kamikaze attack, I miss full control of formations, as well as numerous other details from the previous Homeworld games, but the beauty of HW2's graphics and interface compensate for this. Yeah, single player is really hard, but I live for the multiplayer anyway. Vaygr ships launching volley after volley of devastating missiles is a sight to behold. Expand
  22. AzamM.
    Jan 9, 2004
    The sequel to the pc game of the year has arrived! And what a sequel. the gameplay and graphics have been improved while the control system has been improved to almost perfection.
  23. GlenC.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Brilliant Game! The graphics really are outstanding! On a min spec system they still look great, but they really shine when you have a giant battle with all the lighting options turned on. Oh my god, it's like watching a sequence on a TV scifi show! The music is great too, it totally fits well. The game is so much better than the first. I liked the first, but I loved this one! I wish Brilliant Game! The graphics really are outstanding! On a min spec system they still look great, but they really shine when you have a giant battle with all the lighting options turned on. Oh my god, it's like watching a sequence on a TV scifi show! The music is great too, it totally fits well. The game is so much better than the first. I liked the first, but I loved this one! I wish more sequels could be this much better than the original! The only down side I found is the fourth mission was a bit tricky, its kind of like they put one of the last missions in at the start! But its not as hard as the first HW game. It is now Dec and Homeworld2 gets my vote for Game of the Year 2003! Expand
  24. KelemvorG.
    Oct 31, 2003
    I was extremly excited when i learned, that HW2 has gone gold. I was eager to play it, so i got it from a friends who bought it the day it was in stores. The Intro was ok..the quality level was expected. But the story is a little bit lame. Than i saw the graphics..not much change there..little bit polishing, but the models are still blocky and the new ships looked very "random" in I was extremly excited when i learned, that HW2 has gone gold. I was eager to play it, so i got it from a friends who bought it the day it was in stores. The Intro was ok..the quality level was expected. But the story is a little bit lame. Than i saw the graphics..not much change there..little bit polishing, but the models are still blocky and the new ships looked very "random" in comparison to the streamlined and effective HW1 designs. Music was good, sound was ok. BUT...here comes the big flaw: The game is too fast, to hectic and very difficult. Not because the AI is good..it is not, or the tactics which are used against you..no..just because the enemy is throwing wave after wave of ships against you. No time to breath no time to harvest ressources in a silent minute. The is HW1 stripped of every feeling, stripped of every tactic and stripped of every fun. I loved HW1 and Cataclysm...there where time for battle and time for slow ressource-harvesting. Not in this game...it reminds me of Z. A RTS of some age...you had no minute to breath, a pause meant end of mission. HW2 is a big disappointment. HW is dead.:( Expand
  25. Objectmaster
    Oct 25, 2003
    Agree with most of the other comments, compared to HW1 this is way too difficult...so difficult in fact that the only strategy is: build super big fleet -> move everyone into battle -> loose fleet -> rebuild fleet -> repeat. Now, this tactic may appeal to some, but not to me. Next to that, the AI launches continous strikes against your fleet, don't bother using carriers for anything Agree with most of the other comments, compared to HW1 this is way too difficult...so difficult in fact that the only strategy is: build super big fleet -> move everyone into battle -> loose fleet -> rebuild fleet -> repeat. Now, this tactic may appeal to some, but not to me. Next to that, the AI launches continous strikes against your fleet, don't bother using carriers for anything but production and supply, you'll have your fighters in the field all the time. Graphics, are a lot better, and I also think they improved the interface. I'm always tempted to try again, but after 20 minutes get bored rebuilding my fleet over and over again. There is no cheat available that would make it any less difficult, unlimited RU's only prolongue your suffering. Example, in mission 4 (thats where I gave up), you at some point get a dozen frigates, 1 missile frigate, and 2 dozen corvettes move against your forces, I had the max. allowed units for all types, balanced well (fighters/corvettes/frigates), but still had my entire force obliviated. Had to rebuild, in the faint hope this was all, guess what! The entire enemy force, as described above, reappeared the moment I had my force rebuilt. Tedious, or what? I bet I could be sitting here, killing thousands of enemies and get very old and still have continous attacks. What's the strategy behind that? Make me hate life? Expand
  26. RobC.
    Oct 14, 2003
    As a standalone game I guess hw2 would rate ok. But compared to hw1? Not a chance, where to start lets see - introduction of capture limits - inteface changes for the worse - NLIPS?? WTF screw off we don't need fighters the size of frigates on the screen - music ... really no competition for the awe-inspiring hw1 music - voice acting... the changed the voice actors... ok there. - As a standalone game I guess hw2 would rate ok. But compared to hw1? Not a chance, where to start lets see - introduction of capture limits - inteface changes for the worse - NLIPS?? WTF screw off we don't need fighters the size of frigates on the screen - music ... really no competition for the awe-inspiring hw1 music - voice acting... the changed the voice actors... ok there. - mission design... is there even a point in giving us a reason to play a mission other than to blow stuff up and receive new techonology? I MEAN COME ON. - Adaptive AI... didn't really bug me that much, but i'd rather not have an adaptive AI so I can pwnz0rz its ass later on instead of it having 2 to the X more ships than I have. - Uh what else let's see the complete lack of video/sound configuration options available in HW1 and HWC? Last but not least anyone praising the game is either not an HW1 fan or is your standard run of the mill johnny ask his mommy to buy this game cause it looks cool. - Rob out. Expand
  27. JoeR.
    Oct 10, 2003
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was everything that I could have hoped from a homeworld game, besides a few little things. I didn't enjoy the fact that you were auto-matically hyperspaced out at the end of each mission. The auto-RU mining at the end was a great touch, but I much rather would have had the auto RU, but allow me then to survey the area to make sure that I do infact I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was everything that I could have hoped from a homeworld game, besides a few little things. I didn't enjoy the fact that you were auto-matically hyperspaced out at the end of each mission. The auto-RU mining at the end was a great touch, but I much rather would have had the auto RU, but allow me then to survey the area to make sure that I do infact have everything, and begin production of my fleet. You'll find that at the end of just about every battle, save the first few that you'll need to almost totally rebuild your fleet. Plus, you'll find that attackers will appear out of nowhere. Beyond that the graphics over-haul was great. The detail of all the ships and the environments is incredible. The missions are well thought out and the story line is excellent. The new GUI was very intuitive, and allows you to see the battle taking place while showing your que's. Excellent game, and if you are a fan of space combat, it's the best game on the market for space battles. Expand
  28. JamesA.
    Oct 1, 2003
    This game is freaking awesome!! i played HW:C and loved it, but this is a whole new thing! the graphics are godlike, and the interface is much better. I look forward to buying the game and getting some real multiplayer action.
  29. BrianG.
    Sep 29, 2003
    A complete disappointment as is. Far too difficult to accomplish without having to replay the same levels over and over again. Auto harvest and hyperjump makes no sense given the games difficulty (you can't catch your breath between missions). I loved HW1 and played the SP mission several times but HW2 leaves you more frustrated than satisfied. I read elsewhere a description of the A complete disappointment as is. Far too difficult to accomplish without having to replay the same levels over and over again. Auto harvest and hyperjump makes no sense given the games difficulty (you can't catch your breath between missions). I loved HW1 and played the SP mission several times but HW2 leaves you more frustrated than satisfied. I read elsewhere a description of the game as a frantic "Wack-a Mole" style game' and that's about the best way to sum this game up. There is just not the feel like HW1 BTW the manual is terrible and I think Sierra is banking on a lot of people buying the Strat. Guide. Expand
  30. A.P.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Same graphics, same music.The difficulty is ridiculous. I loves HW1 and C. and played both games multiple times, but HW2 is a bitter disappointment.
  31. Chief
    Sep 27, 2003
    Awsome game. It is a little disapointing how much it is a carbon copy of the first two but hey it's homeworld. Hard as hell but it's all good, keeps you on your toes. And to all you people with the black screen problem, please make sure have your latest video drivers. That is what worked for me ;)
  32. KimE.
    Sep 27, 2003
    Homeworld was one of those ground breaking Games that with out a doubt had some of the most inovative play, along with tantalizing Graphics that often time left one with the feeling of being in charge of the strike craft asault on the Death star at the end of star wars. The tech advancements, and different tactics, formations, escorting of ships, first person view, story line , MultiHomeworld was one of those ground breaking Games that with out a doubt had some of the most inovative play, along with tantalizing Graphics that often time left one with the feeling of being in charge of the strike craft asault on the Death star at the end of star wars. The tech advancements, and different tactics, formations, escorting of ships, first person view, story line , Multi player game play, just to mention a few of its many game features made it a joy play. Add to that the spin off title Cataclysm also a fun and engrossing Game with some helpful changes and enhancements. Now comes Homeworld 2: This game has some improved graphics which at first glance might not be seen that Much. However when you look at the Mothership and Strike Craft up close you can see that some one spent a great deal of time on the textures, in some cases the depth is astounding. the Mouse control is much more intuitive and for the most part easy to use. I have had trouble at times trying to get free from a Ship only to enter the movement mode, but over all a very nice Control System. I do find myself holding the Shift key down from time to time to make depth changes in my movement, But that still works so no big problems there. The Resouce gathering has been enhanced where by at the end of each Mission all resouces are gathered up for you...Allmost all...the the Collectors can now gather pieces of broken Ships, but at the end of a mission if you have not gathered these up they will be left behind. That would not be a problem Except for the fact that at the end of each mission you are instantly Hyperspaced to the next mission. Some of these pieces i'm speaking of have an RU value of over 2000 so its not a good idea to leave um behind. My major Gripes...................... The Game has a Storyline, but many of the Battles are so intense that its hard to even remember what the Story is about. and the cut scenes within the game tend to flusterate the player rather than inhance the Story line. That is to say the attacks are so rapid and intense that any distraction from your Fleet control is a major henderance, and quite often unwanted. Gone is the Ship naming that I grew use to in Homeworld, and this makes figuring out which Carrier or Destroyer or Cruiser you are having to build something with or ordering around a little less easy. Not that the single player game would give You time to name them. ........The capture System is all but useless the Ship for this Marine Frigate is treated as priority one for the Enemy. The only real use I found for these was as a diversionary action. You can send one of these around back and let the Enemy see it and they will run over anything else to get at it leaving most anything else un Guarded. A large percentage of the time even if you do get them to dock with the Ship you wish to control. they leave after the capture bar has been completed, and the Ship still belongs to the Enemy. .....If You do Capture a Ship that builds something, The Building part of the Ship is un-usable. So there is no point in Capturing a Carrier, or ShipYard. ..For me a causual game player the missions Are a bit to agravating and tough. I don't play online, unless its with a friend..so mostly the story line was what i wanted when I bought the game. If it had difficulty settings I could have played through, and then turned them up. I would have gotten my story line had some fun, and then at my leasure improved my Skill. by the time I got to Mission 5 I had forgoten what the Game was even about. and to tell You the truth even after replaying back to that level a couple of more times I still can't remember the story line. I keep coming back to this Forum Hoping that they have Patched it and placed a difficulty setting in the patch. Why?? Because i loved HW1 and Cataclysm...and really wanted to like this one. instant jump at the end of a mission.. I mean really what Starship or even Navel Admiral would just come out of a Battle and not take inventory of his Fleet, re asign Units and in general re group, and in this case regroup by asigned numbers literally....... Before jumping into another Battle. Its just not a strategically sound thing to do. and instead of adding real ness to the game it adds absurdity to it. ................. Every one needs to remember that quality control for many Game's is done by having People stay on top of the forums, and put down or slander anyone who does not agree that there game is the best........... .....I have no doubt that they will come behind this with the usual ..."well I like the tough battles, it let me prove how God like I am, but I guess there are poor players out there that can't beat games." .., .." Aw who wants to name ships anyway I did not have any problems".. ,.. " I had no problems keeping up with the storyline....I knew Luke Skywalker was Darth Vaders son"..,.. " What story!!! Kill, Maim,Destory, Hurt, Win,.....I can edit the RU and ship values"..,.. and so on and so on. ...... Expand
  33. Madman
    Sep 26, 2003
    Great game... or I should say, It would be a great game... the thing is, that it's impossible to play it.. I've completed hw1 ,and cataclysm, several times.. They were difficult enough.. but this new one is now HIGHLY unfair! There should be a way to reduce the difficulty, or at least the feature to pause the game while giving orders to the squadrons, and then resume..
  34. Sultry
    Sep 25, 2003
    Wow. More than a video game.
  35. PalmerW.
    Sep 21, 2003
    The game installs fine.. But after that its useless... When i try to play the game it sends me to a black screen for a few secs.. Then it puts me back to the desktop.. So i go to the siera fourms for help.. When i get there i find that 100 other people have the same problem.. And no one is being helped.. This really disappoints me..
    Worth the 70 bucks!
  37. OmarK.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Those of us who are veterans of the first two Homeworlds would have been waiting for this for sometime and also maybe very disappointed with the new one. Formations settings for crafts have been changed, there is no difficulty setting for a game that is almost impossible without a population cap, GUI is frustrating where craft are not properly identified when selecting smaller craft Those of us who are veterans of the first two Homeworlds would have been waiting for this for sometime and also maybe very disappointed with the new one. Formations settings for crafts have been changed, there is no difficulty setting for a game that is almost impossible without a population cap, GUI is frustrating where craft are not properly identified when selecting smaller craft groups from the larger selected groups of craft. On a plus side, the game has gorgeous graphics and has an excellent storyline. Enjoy, even if it is only for a few days. Expand
  38. Marco
    Sep 17, 2003
    All the best elements of the original coupled with a logical progression of the art, interface, gameplay and story.
  39. StevenJ.
    Sep 16, 2003
    I wish they would port this game to mac.
  40. TunaF.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Ya baby ya!
  41. Sep 22, 2011

1. Game Informer
    The backgrounds are absolutely amazing, and you may find yourself studying your ships to admire their incredible detail. [Nov 2003, p.172]
  2. From its finely honed user interface to its nearly flawless campaign and PvP modes, Homeworld2 is a breath of fresh air when most games of its ilk are bogging themselves down with needless complexity.
  3. Cheat Code Central
    It can be a little slow going at times but that's because the focus is on real time strategy. The whole game is about conflict, but it goes about it in a more sophisticated way.