5.9

1. Oct 19, 2012
    Excellent! Game to come closest yet to The Road, really nails the survival element. And no it is not purely linear, you have a lot of freedom within places and particularly in the centre of town (using the overhead railways as a starting point). Personally I liked the dust/fog that makes you not exactly sure of what is in the distance and forces you to climb up every so often. It couldExcellent! Game to come closest yet to The Road, really nails the survival element. And no it is not purely linear, you have a lot of freedom within places and particularly in the centre of town (using the overhead railways as a starting point). Personally I liked the dust/fog that makes you not exactly sure of what is in the distance and forces you to climb up every so often. It could have been made a bit easier and a few more checkpoints, but that's the only fault I can think of. The way it presents the horror and grimness of immediate post apocalyptic life where someone's life is worth a couple of bullets is quite unique. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2012
    As a big fan of Cold Fear, also developed by Darkworks, I was really looking forward to this game. I was not disappointed. Reminds me of Legendary, another great game in the modern apocalyptic setting. For those who rate it low, they must want COD. It's not COD, it's great in it's own right.
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    Truly one of the best games I've ever seen. The game is a sweet Survival game with well thought out linear maps. The cool replay feature is fun, giving you time to think of other options to replay a scene - cool!. Graphix are decent, and the price was right .
  4. May 4, 2013
    From the beginning, the game is impressive for its sulfur atmosphere. I would like to mention a very symbolic start of the "cross the bridge" and then begins the real adventure. In fact, in the game there is no new-old-fashion zombies, there are only people, and these are the ones to be feared! I do not understand why people underestimate I Am Alive, because it is worth the money, genreFrom the beginning, the game is impressive for its sulfur atmosphere. I would like to mention a very symbolic start of the "cross the bridge" and then begins the real adventure. In fact, in the game there is no new-old-fashion zombies, there are only people, and these are the ones to be feared! I do not understand why people underestimate I Am Alive, because it is worth the money, genre component fulfills a 100%. I do not regret the money spent, but it is extremely frustrating that the studio Darkworks is closed. Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is awesome, I just finished it and I could not think of any other game that plays like a true post apocalyptic environment where your not just running around gunning people. Everyone is a threat, and your actions need to be wise. I wish there was more games like this one.
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    It is amazing what can be done with 2 gig, this was a fantastic experience, play it before slating it, at first it's pf, then it's a little annoying, then you know what is happening and it's awesome.
  7. Nov 8, 2014
    The story is touching and the game play is unique and good. The atmosphere is sinister, and one can feel it. Moreover, survivors are in a truly believing 'harsh survival mode'.
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    I love what they did in the game. The storyline is great and the paths/map is well designed. Controls are O.K., but the graphics are pretty poor. Good for $15, better on sale. Just a little work on the graphics and controls and this game would have been just about perfect!
  9. Raz
    Jan 5, 2013
    Love it! There are a few things I would improve on like the linear story is a little not so good, the fact that you cannot just jump wherever you want or have to obey the level designers directions. This game engine put in an open world would be the perfect game!
  10. Jan 4, 2013
    I give EIGHT! why? this game is 15USD it not high cost
    it nice survival game and nice graphic but game
    has only climb kill bandit only it nice adventure
  11. Jan 7, 2013
    I must confess I bought this game after reading many reviews and wanted to see how bad it was.

Nevertheless it was surprising to actually see that I was enjoying the game, the environment, playability and even the story. Come on guys! this game is not so bad. Well, I must say 2 bad things: Some control issues and the Ending (among the worsts I have seen IMHO). Still this game made

Still this game made me have a very good time during a whole weekend. So lets not be so harsh, it was fun!. Also I got the 20 victims rescued, that was one of the things I enjoyed the most!.
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    Steve Paulson Jan 29 2013 Love the game but the (E) KEY doesnt work playing on pc through steam.
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    I Am Alive is one of the most underrated games in the history. Sure it has its flaws like poor story and sound track and the graphics are kinda outdated but the atmosphere is really rich and it puts you in a desperate mood. The only major problem was the length. It only took me 3 hours and 50 minutes to beat the game. With a little more effort and a highr budget it could become aI Am Alive is one of the most underrated games in the history. Sure it has its flaws like poor story and sound track and the graphics are kinda outdated but the atmosphere is really rich and it puts you in a desperate mood. The only major problem was the length. It only took me 3 hours and 50 minutes to beat the game. With a little more effort and a highr budget it could become a masterpiece. The idea behind this game was really fantastic and it is really ambitious but they failed to execute the idea properly, however it offers an experience that will live in your memory for some time. In fact if I Am Alive was executed properly, it could even compete with The Last Of Us and become a leading title in the survival horror genre. Anyway, we can't expect much from a downloadable title priced at only 15 Maybe Ubisoft will be able to make it right with a fantastic sequel. Expand
  14. Sep 26, 2013
    well its not the game of the year but for a staggering 14$ on steam this is an great title that i was enthralled with through the entire campaign for the low budget it is truly brilliant what was don't here could very easily pass as a AAA title. Only con is its not long enough witch is a good thing because i wanted to keep playing an progressing. I just don't understand what people wantwell its not the game of the year but for a staggering 14$ on steam this is an great title that i was enthralled with through the entire campaign for the low budget it is truly brilliant what was don't here could very easily pass as a AAA title. Only con is its not long enough witch is a good thing because i wanted to keep playing an progressing. I just don't understand what people want from this title giving it 1-2 and 0's for what it is a great game a 7 in my book. Expand
  15. Oct 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm an older player and I'm getting more and more in to the story driven games rather then the FPS genre. The story line is interesting enough and I regret that I wasn't able to find all possible survivors in the game. It is more of a puzzler game that you play at leisure, take your time with and figure out the way the level is built and how to best tackle the enemies.

The game is very monochromatic. To me it underlines the desolate and grim isolation the player is in this game. It sets a great mood, dark, gloomy, surreal that a game like this needs.
    I got a rush out of knowing to have to get it right or I would have to do the whole level over again. I am glad however that the creators allowed for a limited amount of continues on each level.

One major down side was that I was fully expecting to find out why the city is in ruins and find my way out. The ending was anticlimactic because you don't know what happened at the end. Almost like the creators ran out of money or storyline and just ended up finishing abruptly. This game SCREAMS for a sequel!

That said, I wouldn't finish a game if I didn't like it enough.
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    Please understand I dont consider 7 a bad rating for a game. I can only think of two or three games I would give 10 to, and nines are few and far between. With that in mind, on to the game. A survival game that is not a "survival horror". Instead its more of a "survival suspense". Lets focus on the bad for a moment. Replays, over and over... and over. This game has a lot of trial andPlease understand I dont consider 7 a bad rating for a game. I can only think of two or three games I would give 10 to, and nines are few and far between. With that in mind, on to the game. A survival game that is not a "survival horror". Instead its more of a "survival suspense". Lets focus on the bad for a moment. Replays, over and over... and over. This game has a lot of trial and error, mostly focused around the combat system. This brings us to the combat system, which really doesn't deserve that title. Its unforgiving, and while the game encourages you to run from combat, it often doesn't allow that as an alternative. Given the sparseness of the ammo, the game often makes you feel like you've done something wrong when you've run into the bad guys. And run into them you will because for our third little problem is linearity. The game teases you with some free roam moments, but once you start down a path its clear there is only one way to go. Whats not clear is if its gonna be worth it to go there. I don't mean to say, "if you go down that path, its gonna be a waste of time." What its gonna do is waste your resources. You are not superman, you will lose health, food, ammo, and your precious stamina. Stamina is what will allow you to explore the dusty, choking, dulled, greyed out street level environment, or climb to the top of skyscrapers. Now lets focus on the good things.
    Everything I just said was bad. The OCD side of me loves this game for its constant replays, "Could I have gotten away with a bit more stamina if I chose that route? If I had tried it this way, could I have saved that third bullet? " And you're gonna want that third one, because you may only have had four, or three. Hell sometimes I only had two and fooled the remaining bad guy that I had just one more. But never get over zealous and let the enemy hear that "click" of an empty gun. Sure, it sucks to screw up and have to redo something five times, but its all that more rewarding when you nail it. I love that this game ramps up the suspense by making me travel slowly to conserve energy. Others complain about its dark and greyed out environment, but that only makes those moments when you're out of the fog that much more impressive. And yes its linear, but only to the extent that it advances the story. And there is the real clincher. Its a good story. For the price of the game, its been worth it to me to watch the story pan out. Its a novel take on games, and I for one am always willing to give something innovative a shot. The only true gripe I've got with this game is that in order for the game mechanic to work, it has to make you unwilling to try to use your lives (re-tries) up. The only way to pull that off realistically, is to set the save points VERY far apart. You will not be able to sit down and play this one for 15 minutes and walk away expecting to pick up where you left off. I dont like being tied down to a game. In the end though, for me the experience is worth the sacrifice. Dont expect a hardcore FPS, dont expect serious RPG elements. Instead, I like to think of Max Payne or Alpha Protocol. While those had moments of intense action, I often found myself returning to certain points in the game to see if I could do better,or even just different. Dont think of it as the most engrossing novel in the world. Instead, I think of it more like a good comic book.

One final caveat, I have not finished this game, but I am already satisfied with my investment.
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    when i first saw the trailer a while ago i thought to myself, what an awsome game! then it became quite... untill 1-2 years ago i found out it would come to Xbox summer sale, i fell in love, and when it came out i bought it... its... not what i expected, this had really good potential but they fail really hard and thats just a shame, i think if they had put more time/money in it would havewhen i first saw the trailer a while ago i thought to myself, what an awsome game! then it became quite... untill 1-2 years ago i found out it would come to Xbox summer sale, i fell in love, and when it came out i bought it... its... not what i expected, this had really good potential but they fail really hard and thats just a shame, i think if they had put more time/money in it would have been one of the best games of 2011 (or 2012 i dont remember) but sadly, they didnt. i still hope there will be a remake or somthing of this where the developers really want to make a good game. the story was pretty good and the gameplay was fine, nothing to complain, but the graphics where terrible and thats one of the things that ruined it, next to the linear levels and the lenght of the game (too short) but i still give it a 7 because i really had high hopes for this game and i hope they will see the big mistake they made and do a remake of it, but then good. all in all it was fun to play and really original, and i loved the setting so yeah a 7 it is.

Sorry for english im dutch :D
  18. Apr 15, 2013
    This game is actually quite alright, sure it's got it's faults it sure does.. repetitive game play and at times bland but put that aside, I feel I wanted too keep going on with the game, I liked the atmosphere and how the game feels unique. I managed to find this game enjoyable.
  19. Jul 13, 2013
    While the gameplay is a little repetitive, the game is still pretty good. The plot is set in a post apocalyptic world, after an event of earthquakes destroyed most of humanity, leaving resources scarce, and the world covered in dust that could suffocate you. No zombies in this game or any unnatural occurrences, the main threat is basically just other human beings trying to survive.

You

You play as a male survivor, whose name is unknown, searching for his wife and child in the city while trying to stay alive himself. There is a lot of climbing involved in building ruins, you are equipped with a pistol which you have to use very wisely, as ammunition is extremely scarce. Violent people will often harass you and will bully you and eventually attack you until you take a stand for yourself.

The plot is pretty good, graphics are alright, everything is saturated in grey which is probably because of the smoke. The game isn't half bad. Its only $17.99 US which is a very acceptable price for a game with standards like this.
  20. Apr 18, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. It is simple and elegant. You start off by entering the city looking for your wife and daughter. You soon realize they are gone and on your way out you spot a little girl. Not being able to just let her wander on her own you decide to help her get back home and it goes from there.

There is alot of climbing, swinging and fighting in this game. Your reserves

There is alot of climbing, swinging and fighting in this game. Your reserves are VERY limited. More often than not you meet a group of foes with just 1 bullet and have to make due. After a series of earthquakes and the "event" that soon ensued, the entire city is filled with dust that seriously inhibit you field of view.

You have a health and a stamina meter you will have to manage carefully. The climbing mechanics are solid, dont know why people are so negative to this game, I will end this review with my theory on this. Every time you climb you use up stamina. With help from ledges and pivots you can regain your stamina while climbing. The story is not the best ever, one of the parts however is played by the same guy who plays Adam Jensen, the lead character in Deus Ex Human Revolution. In this game he only has a supporting role, should say something about the quality on the voice acting. Not bad, not bad at all.

Why people does not like this.

One would be the combat. they think the can rush in and take out 3 guys with one bullet. The only one who has ever been able to do this is Oswald in Dallas (if you believe the Warren commission). You have to take out the leader of the gang and threaten the other ones. You make them step back on to a ledge or right next to a fire and kick them over the ledge or in to the fire. There are all sorts of ways to win.

The other might be visibility. You have map that aren´t so detailed and there is no "radar" or arrow in the ground like Bioshock Infinite. It can be real tricky to find you way forward on map that can scale 5 levels up through a building and stuff like that.

It´s like this. negative people will always find the bad things, in everything from games to real life, all they ever do is complain. Then we have the optimists who can actually enjoy games that are no blockbusters like this one. Like my bro in law, I enjoyed this and will tell him so. i would bet my left testi that he will say it sucked and start complaining like he always do.
  21. Dec 22, 2012
    I am alive is above all else a great opportunity missed. The biggest complaint would be the length - *taking your time* you will complete this in 4-5 hrs. I also have an issue with the general gameplay, you pretty much cannot fall off anything. So even walking a narrow bit of track many stories high with certain death if you fell, you dont feel anything as you just walk/run forward withoutI am alive is above all else a great opportunity missed. The biggest complaint would be the length - *taking your time* you will complete this in 4-5 hrs. I also have an issue with the general gameplay, you pretty much cannot fall off anything. So even walking a narrow bit of track many stories high with certain death if you fell, you dont feel anything as you just walk/run forward without a care. My last main complaint would be that your weapons and gadgets expand far too late, the game is short enough, why give you some neat items to let you get around and add some gameplay only half way thru AND under use it :s Those are the negatives, it does have its share of upsides too! The atmosphere is great, the stamina gauge adds something to what would otherwise be a boring affair scaling building etc and altho the combat does get repetitive, its a decent change from the norm (could be better, but its nice to see something a lil different from time to time). Its pretty linear, which could be seen as a negative, but tbh, with little to gain apart from achivs, I dont really want a huge world to explore (unless they tweaked the gameplay and gave u more to do). In summary - this is a once-play title (no online/coop/other modes/not many achivs and only a few people would be bothered playing it again to collect them all), with good atmosphere and detailed environments (when you can make them out!). An uninspiring engine, unoriginal story and extremely short campaign will disappoint. Get it on the cheap if your interested. Expand
  22. Sep 10, 2012
    Just bought it off Steam (also came with something called 'Bloody Good Time', which looks a bit lame). Right off the bat it's not really worth 17 bucks. $10 flat. Here's why. 1) the graphics are okay, and run reasonably smoothly, but the difference between the landscape and your character is very distinct, and it draws you right out of the immersive experience. The landscape is all softJust bought it off Steam (also came with something called 'Bloody Good Time', which looks a bit lame). Right off the bat it's not really worth 17 bucks. $10 flat. Here's why. 1) the graphics are okay, and run reasonably smoothly, but the difference between the landscape and your character is very distinct, and it draws you right out of the immersive experience. The landscape is all soft and grainy, and your character is high contrast and sharp lines. Looks terrible. Very amateurish. 2) the movement controls suck. You have to press space to start to climb, and then when you're climbing you press 'w' to go up, but then to pull yourself up, you have to press space again. Why not just let me keep pressing 'w' for up? The movement is also a little clunky, but not too bad. 3) everything appears to be static. That shopping trolley in the middle of the street? Stuck to the ground. Super-glued there, in fact. Yes, it's only a 2GB game, but that is pretty lame. 4) Very linear map, which isn't too bad, but, again, it draws you out of the game. The idea of exploring this strange world is less fun when your route is boxed in and confined. Again, only a 2GB game, but even a few extra routes to add to the illusion would help. 5) mouse-button-mashing combat system. For some reason, whenever I play a game that requires regular button mashing (especially mouse buttons), I think "low quality", and lo and behold, here we have that very thing. It screams console-kiddie games, and is an insult to PC gamers in my opinion. I have an entire frigging keyboard - just let me press the space bar or something, you dipsticks. I've only played it for about an hour, and it looks okay so far, but there are some very simple things the developer should have done. Yes, I know it's cheap and small in size, but things like these are very important for the gaming experience. I hope there's a significant amount of content to make up for the above shortcomings, but only time will tell. I'm giving it a 6 out of 10, but only because I haven't finished it yet. We'll see how it ends up. Get it when the price has been discounted. Expand
  23. Sep 9, 2012
    Originality: Somewhat. The stamina bar, the way action sequences take place, and the fact that the game-play is unique make this original. We also haven't played a game with such bad/irresponsive controls in ages. Flare/appeal: The game tries to take you on an emotional survival-like adventure; but, the repetitive nature of the game makes it dull. Remember that movie "The Book of Eli"?Originality: Somewhat. The stamina bar, the way action sequences take place, and the fact that the game-play is unique make this original. We also haven't played a game with such bad/irresponsive controls in ages. Flare/appeal: The game tries to take you on an emotional survival-like adventure; but, the repetitive nature of the game makes it dull. Remember that movie "The Book of Eli"? This game attempts to build that atmosphere but fails at it, miserably. The game tells a decent story if you stick around long enough to suffer through it. Overall: Originality is just about the only thing keeping us from rating this game a solid 4. Expand
  24. Jan 26, 2013
    I bought this game on Steam during it's sale and mildly enjoyed the experience. It wasn't anything amazing but it was a well thought out story- with adequate game play. But I love the limited stamina on climbing- no I wasn't being sarcastic it added a nice twist to climbing. Certainly not everyone would enjoy it- and I wouldn't grabbed it a full price. I've certainly played better gamesI bought this game on Steam during it's sale and mildly enjoyed the experience. It wasn't anything amazing but it was a well thought out story- with adequate game play. But I love the limited stamina on climbing- no I wasn't being sarcastic it added a nice twist to climbing. Certainly not everyone would enjoy it- and I wouldn't grabbed it a full price. I've certainly played better games but this game is adequate enough. Expand
  25. Sep 11, 2012
    Quote: "PC users should be more than happy to enjoy this peculiar survival game"

No thanks, we not happy with this peculiar but not good game. Ruined city is beautiful, but gameplay is terrible.
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    This could have been so much better, but it feels very dull, boring and repetitive. Most of the time you spend climbing buildings and stuff. The black and white and the fog effect is terrible and killed the experience for me.
    The story is meh.
  27. Jan 9, 2013
    Sheesh. It really grates my cheese when a good game misses. "I Am Alive" (terrible title) is a dystopian adventure in the likes of the Assassin's Creed and Just Cause series. The biggest difference is that they actually took the time to test it. IAA is a complete mess in terms of the game mechanics. It has - quite possibly - the worst controls I've ever played. Even worse than TombSheesh. It really grates my cheese when a good game misses. "I Am Alive" (terrible title) is a dystopian adventure in the likes of the Assassin's Creed and Just Cause series. The biggest difference is that they actually took the time to test it. IAA is a complete mess in terms of the game mechanics. It has - quite possibly - the worst controls I've ever played. Even worse than Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness. Well, OK, it's not that horrid. It's glitchy, sloppy and only works correctly when you're walking. It is absolutely infuriating and it almost had me throwing my PC out the window. That rant aside, the game does have it pros: It looks very dire. Gray, dusty and grainy. Maybe a bit too grainy. The foley work is great: Nice ambient sound and vocals are clear and well performed. The story is simple but interesting given the main character is compelling and honest and worth taking to the end. I like the stamina concept when climbing but didn't make much sense when jogging. The use of items to increase stamina and health is great and sensible. Now back to the cons. The biggest con (as described before) are the controls. The attack engine is atrocious. It is unforgivably bad. In order to use your default weapon you must hit the USE function when the game says you can. You can't just attack early or late or to the left or right or wherever - only to meet your enemy, wrestle with machetes for whatever reason and then you attack. It's simple asinine. The other weapons can be used at your discretion and they function adequately. The controls fail again when climbing. It doesn't always turn left or right when you need it and if you don't have the stamina you die. Grrr. You can't pick up/climb/fall/slide,etc. to the elements in the environment - it is very limited in terms of interaction. The game just has so many failings that there really isn't much incentive to play it at all. I paid $5 for it and I was more insulted by the time I wasted than the $ I spent. It's such a dame shame - this could've been epic but instead it drove me up the wall. Literally. ;-) Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    This game has an interesting, if unoriginal story, and a very nice sound track. However, it falls short in most other departments. The graphics are mediocre at best. The faded color palette can be forgiven as part of the style and mood of the game, but the grainy and coarse definition can't. It would be charitable to call this game "linear". It's almost a rail shooter. You are literallyThis game has an interesting, if unoriginal story, and a very nice sound track. However, it falls short in most other departments. The graphics are mediocre at best. The faded color palette can be forgiven as part of the style and mood of the game, but the grainy and coarse definition can't. It would be charitable to call this game "linear". It's almost a rail shooter. You are literally herded through a narrow pipeline and, to add insult to injury, when you go off in a slightly different direction, even if it's a dead end, the game prods you back in the right direction, as if there were any other option. The few NPCs you encounter are scripted and beyond their extremely brief scripted behaviour, you can't interact with them. Even the main character is practically scripted. You can jump and climb, but only in very specific places at very specific times. As a result, short as it is, the game quickly becomes predictable. The combat is shallow and almost as linear as the rest of the game. It's only barely more flexible than a fight in "The Walking Dead" game, and that's a point-and-click adventure where the fights are almost just a cut scene with mouse clicks! The climbing mechanics are decent, but repetitive, and it won't be long before you start signing and rolling your eyes at yet another thing to climb. Oh, and the main character, who is evidently a trained climber and is climbing for most of his days has the stamina of am asthmatic chipmunk. You'll be out of breath, fainting, and falling to your death just by hanging of a vertical pipe for a few seconds. The environment is dead. And I don't mean "post-apocalyptic dead", I mean that you can't interact with anything. You can't move objects, lift them, kick them, open doors, break glass, nothing. You're just walking through a painting. You can't even swing your machete in empty air to pass the time. The only time you can use it is when there's a target in front of you. The only things that hold this game together are a story that you want to see through and an ambiance that's due almost entirely to the soundtrack and the faded colors. Oh, I do have to give props to the voice acting, what little of it there is. It's no Oscar performance, but it's better than many big-budget games. For all its flaws, it's not a completely terrible way to pass a few hours. You decide how much that's worth to you and pay accordingly. Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2013
    It has the making of a fantastic game... but the the game play is rather slow and extremely frustrating with sticky movement while climbing... the most frustrating thing would have to be the save and checkpoint system... I personally couldn't deal with save points 10-15 minutes apart just to die in the same frustrating way over and over just a disappointment.

Bold and fresh, despite its shortcomings. Moreover, if the original vision of the developers had been fully fleshed out, this would have been one of the best games of the year. [November 2012]
    Original survival horror is perfect in setting up a grim atmosphere. You can find many flaws in the game but there are very strong moments which make the game worth trying. [Nov 2012]
  3. Oct 28, 2012