• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Apr 26, 2011
6.9

1. Mar 31, 2011
    Ok, checked it again...hopeless serious performances issues, nearly unplayable near ground on high spec pc...even lower resolution hopeless....needs SERIOUS attention before becoming the greatest flop ever!
  2. May 26, 2011
    What has it been? Over 7 freaking years! The loyal IL2 fan base has waited patiently and respectfully. We all had the utmost confidence in Oleg and team. This is what we get? This is a very sad day in flight sim land. If people like me (been a dedicated fan and loyal supporter of IL2 since 2001) are giving it bad reviews you know something went dramatically wrong. Close to a decade of devWhat has it been? Over 7 freaking years! The loyal IL2 fan base has waited patiently and respectfully. We all had the utmost confidence in Oleg and team. This is what we get? This is a very sad day in flight sim land. If people like me (been a dedicated fan and loyal supporter of IL2 since 2001) are giving it bad reviews you know something went dramatically wrong. Close to a decade of dev time...I just cannot comprehend this. I am just rambling now because I am so utterly shocked.

One comfort in this mess is most of us know Maddox and crew will work hard to address these issues. They have a stellar track record of doing so. Better then any other developer in the industry and that is fact. They have a long road ahead and have a tremendous amount of work to do though. I mean...I have always kept up with my gaming rig (mainly for this series) and the game was running at 1FPS...1 Frame per second!!

I see Steam pushed its release till July now. I guess the reason is obvious. I just do not understand why Oleg and crew released the game in this state in other territories. I mean...its been this long and I am sure there was little pressure on them to push it out. Having said all that I will gladly buy this game again when Steam releases their copy. I want nothing to do with my current one. Sound odd I know but I want to support the combat flight sim market and especially the team that created the greatest flight sim of all time. I just want it to be playable. Hopefully in the end...the review average will go up. So weird seeing a Maddox game with such a bad score.
  3. Mar 31, 2011
    Game is biggest disappointment in 2011. Keeps crashing on startup (launcher not responding).
    When it starts it is totally unplayable. Even on lowest settings with just 1 plane in the air (and now imagine that 128 mp battle). Before I get flamed, my spec is way above minimum (it is not recommended spec) but it should do for some medium.. or even LOW settings.
    Shame.
  4. Apr 4, 2011
    Has poor proformance at the moment as UBI soft forced them to add a epalipsy filter last min... this has been made optional already and added to proformance and they are optimising trees and buildings right now for 2nd patch due very soon... game runs fine on my computer quad core, 4gb ram .ati 6950 i dont see why everyone is rating it bad This has been a ruff start but it is being fixedHas poor proformance at the moment as UBI soft forced them to add a epalipsy filter last min... this has been made optional already and added to proformance and they are optimising trees and buildings right now for 2nd patch due very soon... game runs fine on my computer quad core, 4gb ram .ati 6950 i dont see why everyone is rating it bad This has been a ruff start but it is being fixed fast and will be the BEST WW2 flight sim out there very soon...having a blast playing it the future looks very good il2 1946 grew and grew over years this will too! if you are worried or have a low spec pc wait a few months..multi prosscesser are in as is sli they will be in soon, the fact is the same as ALL pc games these days most a realised early due to publisher pressure...but it will be fixed and will have years of support from devs and fans so bring it on !! Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a fly simulator WWII with great realism, terribly volatile models and model life will leave you speechless ..
    There is a small problem but bugs that will be overcome very quickly with the next update to prepare.
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    With the arrival of Team Fusion patch this week (Go to the ATAG forums) which addressed:

- Netcode - Atmospheric issues now flying and fighting occurs to altitude (10Km) - Contrails - Specular glint off canopies Flight model performance - A host of other bugs and fixes including optimization of code This is the absolute best propeller simulation you can fly. More immersive

- Netcode
    - Atmospheric issues now flying and fighting occurs to altitude (10Km)
    - Contrails
    - Specular glint off canopies Flight model performance
    - A host of other bugs and fixes including optimization of code

This is the absolute best propeller simulation you can fly. More immersive and detailed than even Rise of Flight. GUI is still a bit primitive in areas but what flight sims have ever had great gui's?

This sim like all others, requires tweaking to get the most out of it. Ton of undocumented features. Stop by theairtacticalassaultgroup.com for help and tips.
  7. Mar 31, 2011
    This game is amazing and works fine on my pc on very high settings. I don't know why people are having issues. My specs are 3.3 I5, 4GB ram and AMD 6950. The graphics is really good and gameplay is alot more realistic than the first il2. The sound is pretty rubbish but I don't really care about that.
  8. May 21, 2011
    The sim was playable from the day one on my pretty old machine (e8400, 4GB, GTX260, Win7 @1920x1200 med settings), anyway, devs are working 12h per day 7 days per week to resolve bugs and performance issue.
    The flight model is awesome, it's more precise and accurate compared to IL-2 1946 even if it's not a revolution, the rest of the sim are amazingly accurate, all the aircraft, vehicles and object are maniacally reproduced down to the smallest part, gears suspensions, bombs drooping behavior, damage model... all feels incredibly realistic.
    The graphics is just jaw dropping, the **** shadows are spectacular... sorry, I can't describe, check screenshot or vids.
    Oleg's team will continue to fix bug, improve and add new features and content even years after the release as it was with past IL-2 Sturmovic titles, and there are some of which we already know, megatexture, DX11, SDK...
  9. May 21, 2011
    Need some optimization but it's the best flight sim on the market!
    On my PC it run very smooth @ 1920*1200 all settings maxed out. e8500@ 3.6GHz
    nForce 790i Ultra
    4GB DDR3
    GTX 570
  10. Dec 4, 2013
    Like a good wine, it gets better over time. The game originally started out as, well... bad. But now, it is better than ever thanks to Team Fusion, for recreating, basically the game. The game has some of the best flight physics ever created. As a matter of fact, I cant personally explain it, you have to play it to find out. Also, It blows Microsoft Flight Simulator out of the water, WhenLike a good wine, it gets better over time. The game originally started out as, well... bad. But now, it is better than ever thanks to Team Fusion, for recreating, basically the game. The game has some of the best flight physics ever created. As a matter of fact, I cant personally explain it, you have to play it to find out. Also, It blows Microsoft Flight Simulator out of the water, When compared, Microsoft flight it horrible. Also, compared to modern based games, this has the most REALISTIC physics and flight, as I said. Even the gunnery is truly realistic! In my opinion this is the BEST flight simulator out there, mind me, but this game has gone far... and is going further! Expand
  11. Apr 3, 2011
    Wait until it goes on sale this time next year, by then it will have been properly patched. They worked on this game for a long time - but it' simply not optimized. I was just as excited as everybody else about this release and had high hopes given IL2's success. Give it 3-6 months and this will probably become a quality title, until then, save your money and upgrade your PC. Once thisWait until it goes on sale this time next year, by then it will have been properly patched. They worked on this game for a long time - but it' simply not optimized. I was just as excited as everybody else about this release and had high hopes given IL2's success. Give it 3-6 months and this will probably become a quality title, until then, save your money and upgrade your PC. Once this game is optimized properly it's going to blow everybody away the way we all expected at launch. Expand
  12. Mar 31, 2011
    Unplayable on a decent gaming machine, even with settings down low. Complete waste of money. Was really looking forward to this after seeing the previews and playing the original.
  13. May 23, 2011
    Very realistic, accurate and graphically intense, within some month will be the best flight simulator on the market as Oleg (lead dev) has a great history on supporting his product years after the release.
  14. Mar 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. hope this game be better now need a big patch now its a unplayable

the game are **** its need to be better then now an lags or crap and im very angry on this its bad as i so angry
  15. Apr 2, 2011
    What a rip-off. £29.99 for an unfinished buggy game which crashes and forces a PC reboot! So angry I will never buy any Ubi title again. Graphics require massive RAM and card (which is fine) but loads of bugs, no Force Feedback support and a useless instruction manual. They've released it before it's ready so don't waste your money.
  16. Apr 4, 2011
    Very disappointed FPS are so poor it is just unplayable it needs some serious work to get this sim up to acceptable levels. I have a well over spec PC ATI 5870 graphics Q9550 processor 4gb ram Win7. When are we in the PC fraternity going to get justice with this sort of thing? I feel as if I have just paid out top price for the privilege of testing out a beta but unbelievably over atVery disappointed FPS are so poor it is just unplayable it needs some serious work to get this sim up to acceptable levels. I have a well over spec PC ATI 5870 graphics Q9550 processor 4gb ram Win7. When are we in the PC fraternity going to get justice with this sort of thing? I feel as if I have just paid out top price for the privilege of testing out a beta but unbelievably over at Official 1C Company forum! there are members that concede all of the faults mentioned is this and the other reviews and think we should be grateful, which I suppose is why we will keep getting this sort of unfinished software thrust on us. Expand
  17. Jul 21, 2011
    Alright look at my date of review compared to everyone else. THEY FIXED MOST ISSUES. Never crashed on me, run everything on high smoothly, no sound problems and most of all its just such an awesome game. Everything is just so amazing and real. Huge multiplayer matches, intense heart pounding action. Really this game is just amazing. Sure it needs a few tweaks here and there but they areAlright look at my date of review compared to everyone else. THEY FIXED MOST ISSUES. Never crashed on me, run everything on high smoothly, no sound problems and most of all its just such an awesome game. Everything is just so amazing and real. Huge multiplayer matches, intense heart pounding action. Really this game is just amazing. Sure it needs a few tweaks here and there but they are working on it, patch after patch, and such a dramatic performance improvement. This game is a 10 no doubt. But i warn everyone, when i say realistic i mean it! I was on a server and 10 "kids" complained because they didnt know how to start the engine. Mixture, Prop, fuel **** and much more is applied to start the engine! It is one intense, fun, and serious game all in one. I really hope people will buy this game because it really isn't a let down, if you read others they still love the game even when it did have all the crashes. Its just THAT good Expand
  18. Sep 8, 2011
    Been a fan of il2 since the demo been flight simming since chuck yeagars on XT comps. Purchased a i7 dual 3.3 nvida 590gtx and 12 gig of ram. Game is unplayble in med and high res even with aa and af off. Looks nice in screen shots thats about it. Wrote to the maker of the game claims game is made for computers that are no out yet which is a damn joke. Dont support ubisoft 1/c gamesBeen a fan of il2 since the demo been flight simming since chuck yeagars on XT comps. Purchased a i7 dual 3.3 nvida 590gtx and 12 gig of ram. Game is unplayble in med and high res even with aa and af off. Looks nice in screen shots thats about it. Wrote to the maker of the game claims game is made for computers that are no out yet which is a damn joke. Dont support ubisoft 1/c games after this greedy flop. Very lacking in the ammount of content as well. Time for another to come and take the crown of wwii combat flight sims. Waiting patiently Expand
  19. Sep 7, 2013
    When the game first come out it was...terrible, while it had so much potential it was let down by HUGE graphical issues and optimisation problems but ladies and gentlemen there is a brilliant MOD for this game which is not cheating, nor will result in a Steam Ban which turns it upside down. The mod from Team Fusion called 'Team Fusion 3.0' simply makes this flight simulator great! It fixesWhen the game first come out it was...terrible, while it had so much potential it was let down by HUGE graphical issues and optimisation problems but ladies and gentlemen there is a brilliant MOD for this game which is not cheating, nor will result in a Steam Ban which turns it upside down. The mod from Team Fusion called 'Team Fusion 3.0' simply makes this flight simulator great! It fixes nearly every issue that I had with the game, and fixes the graphics so that the game no longer stutters or lags for me and it now runs smooth and blows Il2-Sturmovik out of the water in terms of realism. It adds FULL HD textures to the game and has increased its performance on my rig insurmountably, which isn't bad considering how many games hate a 2-way SLI configuration. Now I should give this game a low mark because it took a dedicated community to fix all of its problems, but I really want to draw attention to the fine work that Team Fusion has done. Seriously, if your reading the reviews and thinking about not buying the game, look at the mod and reconsider, it was the best 300mb I have downloaded in a long time.
    The only real problem with the game is the lack of a dynamic campaign but other than that, with the mod it is a very capable successor to the IL2 franchise.
  20. Mar 21, 2013
    Team Fusions patch has improved this sim 200%. The graphics are clean, the FM are amazing, and the glinting off the planes in the distance is just incredible. TF has definitley resurrected this game......
  21. Mar 22, 2013
    Worth another look. With the Team Fusion Mod the game now has a bright furture with many of the original game's problems being addressed and new content being introduced.
  22. Jan 17, 2014
    Team Fusion modded game is by far the most fun, realistic, and historic combat simulator I've played (since mid 90's.) Online ATAG server is a blast.
  23. Apr 1, 2011
    So wild! I too have a high spec PC well above the requirements and I too can't play the game due to major performace issues, I thought FSX was bad, this makes FSX look very good interms of FPS.
    10-14 FPS on low settings on a i7 960 CPU, with a GTX-295 & 8GB DDR3, SSD! WTF?
    10-14 FPS on low settings on a i7 960 CPU, with a GTX-295 & 8GB DDR3, SSD! WTF?
    This game has been released far to soon, it's not ready and should never have been released. There is no way the developer didn't know about these bugs, its a waste of money, don't buy this game until you read about a patch that resolves the issues.
    I want to support the developer, but don't buy this game until its ready. I wish I didn't and I could have brought something else to play this month. as I can't see myself playing this for at least a couple of months due to the large amount of issues.
    Wait until its been sorted before you part with your money, its a joke at the moment, maybe april fools joke? (1/4/2011)
  24. Apr 3, 2011
    Unplayable. I have a beast of a computer and the stutter is outrageous. Pretty annoying to have to go into the config and start making adjustments right after installing. Couldn't address the multi-processor issue after 10 years? What a joke. I was excited to see what they would do with the sounds (maybe some quality like tiger33 sound mod) but alas, they didn't even try. The sounds areUnplayable. I have a beast of a computer and the stutter is outrageous. Pretty annoying to have to go into the config and start making adjustments right after installing. Couldn't address the multi-processor issue after 10 years? What a joke. I was excited to see what they would do with the sounds (maybe some quality like tiger33 sound mod) but alas, they didn't even try. The sounds are generic and abrasive. A total waste of 45 dollars. Give this game a few years to let the community/modders fix the plethora of issues. Expand
  25. May 30, 2011
    Simply the best flight simulator since Il-2 1946. It is currently plagued with technical issues and thus require a high end machine to play. I was playing on an AMD 3800+ with two GTX460 and it was playable over the water only. I had been playing it mostly as a sim with full engine management so when it is fully ready for massive online battles I will be ready for the full realism servers.Simply the best flight simulator since Il-2 1946. It is currently plagued with technical issues and thus require a high end machine to play. I was playing on an AMD 3800+ with two GTX460 and it was playable over the water only. I had been playing it mostly as a sim with full engine management so when it is fully ready for massive online battles I will be ready for the full realism servers. Now I have an i7 2600k and it plays well even at 5170x1050. I know it will only get better just as 1946 did. Please be patient; I know that's hard for gamers :-) Expand
  26. Jul 10, 2011
    The worst unfinished game I have ever seen !!!

Graphics, sounds, AI, GUI, everything is completely buggy...

They have killed all my hope in a new generation WWII of combat flight simulator ! Wait will be very long again..
  27. Jul 28, 2011
    I just received this game after the July 19th 2011 release date. I really had hope for this game as I have been into flight sims since the old CGA vector graphics days and a IL-2/Maddox fan since the very first IL-2. This game is unfinished and full of bugs. I have a top of the line system and suffer micro stutters and input lag from the get go. The GUI is horrid and the campaignsI just received this game after the July 19th 2011 release date. I really had hope for this game as I have been into flight sims since the old CGA vector graphics days and a IL-2/Maddox fan since the very first IL-2. This game is unfinished and full of bugs. I have a top of the line system and suffer micro stutters and input lag from the get go. The GUI is horrid and the campaigns unfinished and anemic. It has very poor stick support. My Saitek X-52 throttle will only register input maybe 10% of the time as well as the occasional input lag. With my system I should breeze through this game. intel i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600, Samsung 470 SSD, SB X-Fi xtreme, ATI 6970 2GB video. I am running all the latest drivers and the game is the latest version. I feel so let down over this as I not only purchased one copy but one for myself and one for a friend. To top it all off I pre-ordered in April only to suffer multiple release postponements. I have SUCKER written all over my face. Shame on You Ubisoft! With the combination of your insane DRMs and willingness to give the consumer the bird by riding on the laurels of established and respected titles i.e. Silent Hunter 5, IL-2 whose fans pre-paid by the 1000s for these titles and then giving them unsupported/unfinished crap. I have bought the last Ubisoft game I will ever buy. Expand
  28. Sep 18, 2011
    A truly amazing simulation. Compared to the original IL-2 series, the scope has been far reduced, though the depth more than makes up for it. The differences in each aircraft are way more noticeable, and at that, formations of aircraft work better together.
  29. Feb 8, 2013
    I obtained the simulator long after it's release (During late 2012), and I assure there are no bugs left. It's now the most accurate and advanced dogfight simulator available. The flight model is just as reality, the graphics are stunning (though, I currently possess a highly expensive Nvidia graphics card), the IA flies even better than real humans and the scenery is incredibly realistic.I obtained the simulator long after it's release (During late 2012), and I assure there are no bugs left. It's now the most accurate and advanced dogfight simulator available. The flight model is just as reality, the graphics are stunning (though, I currently possess a highly expensive Nvidia graphics card), the IA flies even better than real humans and the scenery is incredibly realistic. The only thing I find annoying of this game is the lack of playable planes. Basically, the only fighters which are flyable are the Bf.110, the Bf.109, the Spitfire and the Hurricane (in lots of variants, of course). IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover recreates the WWII dogfights as never seen before. If you are planning to buy a Dogfights Simulator, don't even think in wasting your money on a modern war game, Cliffs of Dover is way more realistic. It doesn't matter if you want a modern war simulator, spend your money on a REAL simulator. (Also, never forget that the WWII Dogfights are the funniest and toughest ones!) Expand
  30. Mar 21, 2013
    The newest unofficial Community Patch is here and has greatly improved all around.

FM improvement, Graphics, Frame Rates...

31. Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks to a user-made patch this game is finally living up to it's promise as one of the most in-depth, beautiful and detailed WW2 combat flight simulators. The game has a small, but very solid and knowledgeable player base, many of whom are long time simmers who will be familiar to anyone who has played previous incarnations o games wearing the IL2 name. Most performance issues are nowThanks to a user-made patch this game is finally living up to it's promise as one of the most in-depth, beautiful and detailed WW2 combat flight simulators. The game has a small, but very solid and knowledgeable player base, many of whom are long time simmers who will be familiar to anyone who has played previous incarnations o games wearing the IL2 name. Most performance issues are now resolved. The game looks stunning and the potential for further refinement of this game is being realised thanks to the efforts of the customers who have invested their own time in fixing what was largely broken when it came out of the box.. Expand
  32. Mar 23, 2013
    The best, to date, the simulator based on the Second World War. Amazing damage system, quality processing of all elements and systems, good physical model. Indescribable feeling of flight. Level graphics surpassing many modern simulators.I play on my computer without any problems (Core i5 8GB GTX 550Ti).
  33. Aug 6, 2013
    The major bugs are gone and Team Fusion is working on the small details. If you buy make sure to go to the ATAG Team Fusion website and get their patches after you get the latest official patch. The game is brilliant now with just a few more small issues (wish someone would make a proper dynamic campaign, etc.). If you love WW2 pure flight simulation, you will love this now with all theThe major bugs are gone and Team Fusion is working on the small details. If you buy make sure to go to the ATAG Team Fusion website and get their patches after you get the latest official patch. The game is brilliant now with just a few more small issues (wish someone would make a proper dynamic campaign, etc.). If you love WW2 pure flight simulation, you will love this now with all the patches and proper hardware, of course. Expand
  34. Jan 17, 2014
    After installing the Team Fusion patches this is probably the best WW2 combat sim I've ever played. The ATAG servers are fast and well managed. Highly recommended.
  35. Feb 2, 2014
    Forget Birds of Prey and World of Warplanes (where you don't even get to sit in a cockpit). Cliffs of Dover is the most realistic air combat experience available today. It has been rescued by the community and is beginning to display its true potential. Lag issues have been dealt with and many flight model and environmennt issues and effects have been fixed. Still some snags to eliminateForget Birds of Prey and World of Warplanes (where you don't even get to sit in a cockpit). Cliffs of Dover is the most realistic air combat experience available today. It has been rescued by the community and is beginning to display its true potential. Lag issues have been dealt with and many flight model and environmennt issues and effects have been fixed. Still some snags to eliminate but as a 'realistic as it gets' air combat experience it is second to none. When played on-line against other real people-pilots you will recognise some of those Autobiography experiences you have read about: in the thick of a dogfight one moment, then next you're alone in the air and feeling a tad nervous - look for friends! (there are many); watch the sun and check your six or pay the price; make the kill while your wingman protects your back. Tackle mission objectives along with your friends or just go hunting. Talk to each other on Teamspeak and organise your mission sortie with others or just follow the plan. Everyone is friendly and helpful. You can join a Squadron/Unit if you want the experience of flying in combat formations and working together. Expand
  36. May 3, 2011
    I have shure, the 1C team will solve all the problems, remenber the first IL-2 expend years to arrive a hardware to run the game em perfect mod, i strong sugest a patch to open sofware game to ingrease the interest of MOD community in help to in improve the game.
  37. Oct 5, 2011
    WOW! I have been waiting for this game a long time. I was a big fan of the original IL-2 Sturmovik, and I am impressed with Cliffs of Dover. The game has been patched and I am running the game at almost max video settings and getting great frame rates. I think the Metacritics need to go back and review this game, it is much better than what they give it credit for. It has all theWOW! I have been waiting for this game a long time. I was a big fan of the original IL-2 Sturmovik, and I am impressed with Cliffs of Dover. The game has been patched and I am running the game at almost max video settings and getting great frame rates. I think the Metacritics need to go back and review this game, it is much better than what they give it credit for. It has all the features of the original IL-2, the option to record flights, along with all the settings so that you can fly as realistic as you want to get. Can't wait to see if they will have more flyable planes like the original. If you liked the original IL-2 you will love Cliffs of Dover! Expand
  38. Mar 10, 2012
    Game is fantastic. Its only drawback is its limited amount of content. Its somewhat limited in how many planes there are, and that you can fly. But graphics, realism and physics are excellent. I am truly hoping for an expansion, or DLC on this one. I highly recommend it to simulation fans. But you need a beasty PC to enjoy it to the fullest. Nothing like flying in a formation of 50+Game is fantastic. Its only drawback is its limited amount of content. Its somewhat limited in how many planes there are, and that you can fly. But graphics, realism and physics are excellent. I am truly hoping for an expansion, or DLC on this one. I highly recommend it to simulation fans. But you need a beasty PC to enjoy it to the fullest. Nothing like flying in a formation of 50+ bombers, manning a gunner seat, and being attacked by an equal number of enemy fighters. Plus any escort fighters. The mission editor is great, and you can build just about any mission you like. Again, the only limitation is the in the number of planes in the game, its not as many as it should be, and that you cant pilot all of them. I really do hope they expand on this game, because otherwise its fantastic. The graphics are what I have been waiting for in flight sims for a long time. Most of the bad reviews are from IL2 fans, who are disappointed in the lower amount of content compared to previous games. I can understand that. But this game is also different then previous IL2 games, theres a lot more detail. So theres more work involved in adding that content, and its more pressure on your system to manage all the extra stuff. I have a quad core, maxed out with goodies, and this game pushes it to the limit, as it is. The weather generator is insane, even though its a bit buggy. I still say this is one of the best flight sims, over all, in a very long time. The game creator says they are still working on this game, and more stuff is coming, and fixes will happen. I sure hope they keep that promise. A check for videos on Youtube will give you a look at the graphics of this game.. Expand
  39. Jul 13, 2012
    I am a big Il-2 fan since .. about 2008 but this game is really bad, i cant run it on middle graphics with a gtx 260 but that's not the big deal. The Campaign is short and strange to play and you have so many bugs in the game. The complete opposite of the Normal Il-2 Sturmovik game.
    So this game is just like a downgrade in every aspect.
  40. Feb 14, 2014
    I don't know what this game was like at release, but after Team Fusion mods it is amazing! I've been playing War thunder and came across some footage of this game on youtube and it caught my eye.
    Great plane modelling and realism, plus amazing community with really fun online multiplayer.
    Well worth trying out.
  41. Feb 10, 2014
    Before you look at the overall score, check out the dates of the reviews. Since the Team Fusion mod has been released, this game has become a must-buy for flight sim fans. Arcade flight enthusiasts need not apply. The Team Fusion mod has drastically improved the graphics and now a 100 players in the sky is a regular occurrence on the AGAT server. Be sure to join the AGAT TeamspeakBefore you look at the overall score, check out the dates of the reviews. Since the Team Fusion mod has been released, this game has become a must-buy for flight sim fans. Arcade flight enthusiasts need not apply. The Team Fusion mod has drastically improved the graphics and now a 100 players in the sky is a regular occurrence on the AGAT server. Be sure to join the AGAT Teamspeak community who will assist you with Team Fusion patch process and help you learn how to do complex engine management. Until you learn how to keep your radiator coolant temperatures low while trying to compete, expect to overheat your engine to the point of frustration. However, the AGAT community is mature and helpful. Yesterday, they even set-up a New Pilots Flight Academy whereby veteran pilots arrange a time to help you at whatever skill level you are at, including beginners who want to learn how to start their engine. If you have the patience, the time, and proper gear, you should be up and flying competently after a few days. However, understand that some of the veteran pilots who have been into flight sims for 10-15 years are in the skies, too, and they may be on the other team. More than anything, I am impressed with the friendly, mature helpful attitude of the AGAT pilots. No one on the AGAT servers is going to act disrespectfully towards you. It is an inviting, helpful, and friendly community of pilots who all want to help you improve so everyone can enjoy the game. Expand
  42. Nov 26, 2012
    A very buggy game which needs a beast of a PC. And even then it is still not running efficiently.

1C already gave up on this game - no more patches will be available. Their IL-2 series was successful and they seemed to care although they never fixed some important bugs on that game either... I always supported them, by buying all the games they made, sometime twice (IL-2 Sturmovik

1C already gave up on this game - no more patches will be available.

Their IL-2 series was successful and they seemed to care although they never fixed some important bugs on that game either... I always supported them, by buying all the games they made, sometime twice (IL-2 Sturmovik 1946). Will I buy their next game? Most likely not!.
  43. Jan 2, 2012
    Filled with issues even after over a six months of updates. Almost unplayable lobby system, bugs and lack of content. Why ever did they have to "fix" things that worked in IL2:1946? I enjoyed the earlier IL2 game a lot, but this has to be one of the most disappointing purchases I've ever made.
  44. Mar 23, 2013
    Game looks nice but you can still fly though trees and buildings which sadly kills all the immersion for me. Also i would like to see more flyable aircraft to keep me intrested but not sure if there is going to be any because the devs have scraped it
  45. Jun 21, 2013
    save your money; this game is worthless, forget about a refund... STEAM will not give one waste of time and money will not work on a decent PC, CRASHES AND BURNS
  46. Oct 15, 2014
    This is the best WWII combat flight sim out there at present..BAR NONE...It is the most complete WWII fighter pilot experience you will get....I have tried other WWII flight sims on the market and they are all very arcade like...This is the REAL DEAL...I have flown this sim over 1200 hours and I am still amazed at how real it feels, how good the landscape looks, the flight characteristics,This is the best WWII combat flight sim out there at present..BAR NONE...It is the most complete WWII fighter pilot experience you will get....I have tried other WWII flight sims on the market and they are all very arcade like...This is the REAL DEAL...I have flown this sim over 1200 hours and I am still amazed at how real it feels, how good the landscape looks, the flight characteristics, the damage models, it is breathtaking!

When this sim originally came out it had flaws that put a lot of people off and gave bad reviews on sites like this. Unfortunately this has marred what is now quite literaly a brilliant sim. Its taken a while but for those of us who gave this sim a second chance we have not been disapointed. For that reason I feel that I should make people aware of what they are missing if they don't get this game, but don't take my word for it..checkout the recent youtube videos..

The online experience is probably the best part of this game...To fight in the skies over Kent and the Pas-de-Calais in real time, scan the skies for enemy contacts, wing with a buddy and engage a deadly foe, it is exhilarating. You can change your shells to whatever shells were available at the time, you can change convergence settings so that your bullets hit exactly the same point, you fuel up to what amount you need which will influence your aircrafts balance and weight. The dogfight tactics are still the same from 1940, the flight characteristics are different for each aircraft and at different altitudes too....You can also fly bomber runs in 1940 bombers and take control of every manned gunning position as you try to fend off hungry attackers.

Even for new players there is plenty of help on youtube with 5 minute startup procedures, and how to dogfight in every flyable aircraft, you can be up and flying in just a few minutes. The best online server is ATAGS and they also have a website to checkout which is a must for new flyers with questions. Most importantly a large group of WWII aircraft enthusiast programmers have taken this sim and are constantly modifying it for a more complete experience. They are called Team Fusion (TF) and they also use the ATAGS website as their base for discussion. The issues that once surrounded this game have now been resolved and the TF are now dedicating their time to making game enhancing changes like contrails and reflective cockpit canopys. Thats where this sim is at now.

So my advice is to ignore any review earlier than 2013 as Cliffs Of Dover is as different now to when it was released as night and day and is nowhere near comparable with those early reviews.

Lew
  47. Feb 17, 2014
    Very nice!

This simulator is very good in 2011 was full of problems, but today is really cool.

Muito bom!

Esse simulador é muito bom, em 2011 era cheio de problemas, mas hoje está muito legal.
  48. Oct 9, 2014
    Disaster on release, now almost entirely fixed by modders group Team Fusion. Some fantastic user made campaigns and flying online is an absolute blast!
  49. Oct 8, 2014
    OH BOY! I'm writing this with all of the "Team Fusion" patches included up to 4.312 and in great anticipation of patch 5 with the Mediterranean theater update. Even when it was a lemon out of the box I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have too many problems with it but then when the Team Fusion people started work on it it kept improving by leaps and bounds every patch. Flashes inOH BOY! I'm writing this with all of the "Team Fusion" patches included up to 4.312 and in great anticipation of patch 5 with the Mediterranean theater update. Even when it was a lemon out of the box I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have too many problems with it but then when the Team Fusion people started work on it it kept improving by leaps and bounds every patch. Flashes in smoke trails sparks on hits unreal damage models and great cockpit function. If an enemy is over your base it's a real nerve wracking chore just getting your Daimler Benz started...Bf 109. Flight can be on the difficult side sometimes...Manual prop pitch in dog fights can get hairy but you learn. Your guns sound amazing btw! Flight models are the best in my opinion and you have access to hundreds of custom skins online. I can see COD improving and improving still as time goes on with other theaters and aircraft. Get a copy it's not expensive and go to the ATAG stite for info about Team Fusion and the patches you won't be disappointed. Expand
  50. Nov 29, 2014
    I have been flying Cliffs of Dover for well over 400 hours now and I cannot recommend it enough. If you like World War 2 history and have an interest in flight simulators, look no further: this is the game you've been waiting for. You will relive the Battle of Britain like you have never seen it before. You will find yourself crammed into a claustrophobic cockpit and fight for either theI have been flying Cliffs of Dover for well over 400 hours now and I cannot recommend it enough. If you like World War 2 history and have an interest in flight simulators, look no further: this is the game you've been waiting for. You will relive the Battle of Britain like you have never seen it before. You will find yourself crammed into a claustrophobic cockpit and fight for either the Royal Air Force, the Luftwaffe or the Regia Aeronautica Italiana. If you are an aviation buff, you will be pleased to find an impressive selection of aircraft used during the battle, even less known aircraft like the Boulton-Paul Defiant, the Supermarine Walrus, the Short Sunderland, the Dornier Do-17 or the Vickers Wellington. Of course, not all of these aircraft are flyable yet but the iconic planes like the Spitfire, Bf.109, Hurricane, G.50, Blenheim IV, Ju-88, He-111 and Br.20 can be flown. You can fly online with up to 100 people, which makes for very impressive battles with friends and foes.

The story of Il-2 Cliffs of Dover is a long and complicated one. When Ubisoft and 1C Game Studios dropped support for the game, a merry band of volunteers decided to create a free mod in order to fix the many issues Cliffs of Dover had back in the years 2011 to 2013. They became known as Team Fusion, and they keep modding CloD to this day and are slowly expanding the game to a whole new level. Sound mods, graphical fixes, performance improvement, flight model adjustment, new flyable aircraft, additional war theaters... these guys transformed this sim from the buggy-and-barely-playable-piece-of-junk mentioned in early reviews to what we have today. The difference between pre-mod and after-mod is mindblowing and it is the only way to play this game, trust me.

The strength of the game is that it is a happy medium between the complexity of a study sim like DCS and the accessibility of an arcade sim like War Thunder. You can jump into a cockpit and fly like you're really there. You need to keep your engine temperatures (oil and water radiator) in check by maintaining proper RPM and manifold pressure settings (which are controlled by prop pitch and throttle controls) that should come with any cheap joystick you can buy on the market. Just like in real life, your aircraft will be prone to stall, spin and attempt to kill you if you do certain types of manoeuvers. You will learn how to takeoff and land by maintaining proper rotation and approach speeds. You will also learn how to navigate using either a magnetic compass or a gyro compass, just like they did in the 1940's. You can also do high-altitude bombing with the real bombsight and autopilot controls if you like more advanced stuff. And if you think this stuff is too hard to learn, have no fear. There will ALWAYS be someone to explain these things to you if you ask for help. How do I know? Well, simply because I gave up on this game three times before Team Fusion finally modded the game and I asked for help on the ATAG forums (more on that later). These guys taught me everything I know and it is my pleasure to train new guys on a regular basis.

Cliffs of Dover wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for the efforts of Team Fusion, but I must also mention something else about CloD. There is a sense of fellowship in its online community that is unique and has no equal anywhere else. ATAG, also known as the Air Tactical Assault Group, is an online community where it all started. ATAG hosts the most popular online server and their forums are THE place to go if you want to learn how to play this game. There is a virtual Flight School where people request lessons with volunteer teachers. People can join Virtual Squadrons, discuss History, create multiplayer events, online campaigns, and have lots of fun on Teamspeak (which is a must if you want to fly online and coordinate with your fellow pilots). Whether you are a flight sim veteran or someone who has never even seen an aircraft, there is always place for you among the skies of Dover. If you like competition, you will find in multiplayer some of the finest virtual pilots with thousands of hours under their belt. If you want to learn how to fly from scratch, you will find someone to teach you the basics, from how to start your engine and get your butt off the ground to advanced techniques on how to shoot down enemy planes in flames. Guaranteed.

Overall, Cliffs of Dover is now living up to its promises and it is a real blast to fly. There is nothing more intense in the history of gaming than trying to shake that Messerschmitt off your six o' clock. The next Team Fusion patch will include (for free) a new theater, new flyable planes (among them the mighty Wellington bomber) and all sorts of new goodies. The "vanilla" and the TF mod versions are as different as night and day. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
  51. Nov 28, 2014
    I began playing this game after Team Fusion fixed it. Before it was unplayable, but it is a wonder. This simulator offers an enormous amount of realism, as yet unseen in a combat simulator.
    With a great Damage Model, the best in the industry as of now, and a Flight Model very realistic, you will be able to feel like a real pilot. If you are a beginner, adjust the various difficulty settings and have all the fun you want in single player Campaigns, Cooperative Campaigns, Missions and at least 3 Online Campaigns now in course.
    It is way better than Battle of Stalingrad and the DCS series, regarding multiplayer. I would give this game an eleven if I could. And it is still receiving updates and new content, for free.
  52. Oct 14, 2014
    When this game was released it was so bugged and useless I deleted it. A year later it was patched and finally playable, and then the company collapsed. That final official version was great tho, and I would have given it a six. Since then though a group of fans called Team Fusion has improved it even more, so that now it is the best WW2 combat sim of the modern era. There are other greatWhen this game was released it was so bugged and useless I deleted it. A year later it was patched and finally playable, and then the company collapsed. That final official version was great tho, and I would have given it a six. Since then though a group of fans called Team Fusion has improved it even more, so that now it is the best WW2 combat sim of the modern era. There are other great games, but few true simulators like this. If they ever fix the combat AI in single player mode, it will be a 9! Expand
  53. Nov 15, 2014
    01.Background/Reference.
    Late forties, commercial pilot.
    Played ´em all since Afterburner on Amiga, lately the complete il2 series, CloD*TF, ROF, BoS, DCS. 02. Forget about the rightly disappointed reviews from 2011. Ever since Team Fusion made their patches, this game rocks. The FM,DM, Graphics, Versatility (Coop, SP, MP, technical details ect), very good. Cockpits the best
    01.Background/Reference.
    Late forties, commercial pilot.

02. Forget about the rightly disappointed reviews from 2011.

Ever since Team Fusion made their patches, this game rocks.

Cockpits the best there are atm I think.

MP: a 10
    SP: I am using Desastersoft add ons, a 8 for me.
    Out of the box SP I would give an 7, because of faulty AI.

Still good for many hours of play eventough I have the game 2 years. Thumbs up!
  54. tvr
    Nov 16, 2014
    Currently, the number one flight simulator WWII. Initial mistakes over the years disrobe. Has become a mature game. Class with the largest online community. Development of Nvidia graphics with vga perfect. The flight model is developed to model the weapons. The ground damage model is not perfect.
  55. Nov 9, 2011
    If you have not played this since the recent patches take another look. Some work is still needed but it flys just fine now. Many groups of the OLD IL-2 game are migrating over to the new ClOD... it's a pleasure to fly and looks fantastic.. alot here to offer the simulated crowd.. not perfect..but best in WWII fly planes to date.
  56. Nov 30, 2011
    After 8 months of the games release Cliffs of Dover is still in many ways unfinished product. Inconsistent flightperformance values, inability to command AI wingmen and bad performance even on lower settings are the most obvious shortfalls of the game. There still might be hope for the game. For example gorgeous c0ckpit graphics and detail of damage model are best ever seen inAfter 8 months of the games release Cliffs of Dover is still in many ways unfinished product. Inconsistent flightperformance values, inability to command AI wingmen and bad performance even on lower settings are the most obvious shortfalls of the game. There still might be hope for the game. For example gorgeous c0ckpit graphics and detail of damage model are best ever seen in flight-simulators. Hopefully developers can bring other parts of the game to the same standard. Expand
  57. Jul 6, 2011
    This comes after three official patches and few days before the US release.
    Flight/Damage model.
    This comes after three official patches and few days before the US release.
    Flight/Damage model.
    Quite the most important aspect of the game. I think both are well done, with the damage modelling being ahead anything sim-like released up to date. The planes can take all sorts of damage to pretty much any structural element. The hitboxes are placed everywhere, so you can lose your ammunition, you can lose your gear etc. The engine can suffer all kinds of failures, you name it. Wooden planes light like a match but take more explosive punishment. The flight modelling seems a bit off here and there, but it`s just a question of fine tuning.
    Graphics.
    Stunning, again imo the best ever in a sim. Visibly better than in Rise of Flight for example. All the reflections are there, the clouds, the trees, big cities, plane model detail and last but not least clickable , self shadowing **** which are their own class. Every gauge and lever works here, the canopy also might be retracted, everything supported by Track IR and 6 degrees of freedom. Everything on the ground is also exceptionally well detailed.
    Sound.
    Merely average. I`d say maybe a bit better than those in IL2:1946 but that doesn`t say much. When flying **** only it`s no biggie, but external sounds are awful, almost cartoon-like. It doesn`t exactly kill the immersion when flying, but it could have been done MUCH better. As of now, the developer is reworking the sound from scratch, so it may come out better in a few months.
    Online multiplayer.
    I`m affraid it`s almost non existant currently. No coops, very bad and unsuitable Steam interface make this a cery limited experience. For the moment, only the quake type servers are running which really isn`t the way the game is supposed to be played (I`m talking about real squadron based real war - type missions like say escort a bomber formation).
    Single player.
    Very limited, good at best. The English campaign is very bad, the German one is great. The thing I dislike about them is that you`re forced to run missions with different aircraft , basicly a bunch of loosely made missions instead of a genuine pilot career. Not recommended.
    Performance.
    At release it was really awful. Recommended specs would let anyone run this game at mid 20s FPS and multiple stutters. Now it`s easily 70fps anywhere but over big city areas where it`s like ~40fps, still stuttering just a bit. Running this game at medium is possible, maximum settings are reachable only with top of the top of todays hardware. Nonetheless, the settings are VERY scalable, so after few hints here and there most will be able to play it with satisfying FPS. BUGS : the game has many bugs actually, happily none are show stoppers.

In order to do the game justice, one must absolutely write, that the developer team is working on fixing every bug and optimising this game. There will be many patches to come though the years, as the sim is planned to be supported thrpughout the entire life cycle (possibly 3-10 years).

The rating would couldn`t be higher, as this game still has big holes, which should never still be in a release.
  58. Feb 2, 2013
    Ok, i wait some months for made this review because when game was launched, it was garbage, an insult for series fan.....but, i knew that disaster could be remedied with some patches, after one year they improve some technically stuff like performance, million bugs, anyway, support is abandoned, i dont know looks like they are on other things (making new il2 with 777 people thats goodOk, i wait some months for made this review because when game was launched, it was garbage, an insult for series fan.....but, i knew that disaster could be remedied with some patches, after one year they improve some technically stuff like performance, million bugs, anyway, support is abandoned, i dont know looks like they are on other things (making new il2 with 777 people thats good news) but the game now is little more playable with new patch, at this time deserves a new attempt for il2 fans, for the price, cmon less than 10$ in steam sales. Expand
  59. Aug 15, 2013
    Game is a mess even after official updates before the company dumped its support of it. Waste of money even at bargain bin price. Also system specs are a joke, you need a beefy cutting edge graphics card. and cpu.
  60. Dec 16, 2014
    To often we forget or perhaps never know of the history of a Sim such as IL-2. In the beginning it was a pretty rough road for the "original" IL-2 and even after numerous patches it was not until the community finally took a hand in things that improvement and the IL-2 as we know and love today came in to existence. IL-2 Cliffs of Dover is no different. Oleg's vision of a SUPER flightTo often we forget or perhaps never know of the history of a Sim such as IL-2. In the beginning it was a pretty rough road for the "original" IL-2 and even after numerous patches it was not until the community finally took a hand in things that improvement and the IL-2 as we know and love today came in to existence. IL-2 Cliffs of Dover is no different. Oleg's vision of a SUPER flight simulator which he was forced to abandon is growing through the efforts of the community and Team Fusion in particular. Is it or will it ever be perfect? No. No more than the original was or is. But IL-2 CloD has come a long way in a short time. For the price of less than a Burger and Fries and a drink, and a FREE mod from TF, you can be flying the sky's over Dover in a Spitfire or Me 109. Want to know more? Check out the ATAG (Air Tactical Attack Group) forums and learn how to participate in a great adventure. Expand
  61. Oct 16, 2014
    biggest deception in flight sim history, 7 years of development (supposed to be released in 2007) then at release a FIASCO, unplayable, now even 3 years after release, with all the TF hard work the game still is unplayable over cities (GTX 970) stuttering all over, unfinished features, etc. if you get it for free try it, but don't even barely think on put any money on this pure gash **** tittle
  62. Dec 6, 2014
    Ive been with the IL2 series since the original launch and this is the best yet. In its current incarnation with the Team Fusion mod at ATAG forums the game has the most realistic sense of flight of anything going yet.
    The 3d models, flight models, damage models and small details are in a class all by themselves and make BoS look like dated material. Don't even get me started on the clickable cockpits. They are so detailed that going to Battle of Stalingrad felt like red baron 3d or aces of the pacific.
    Furthermore the future looks very bright. A dedicated team of enthusiasts is slowly but surely fixing all that was wrong with the sim on release. Whats more they are currently adding more planes, ships, vehicles, making AI planes flyable with unique cockpits, and even creating a new theater to use them in.
    Team Fusion is as good or better than any other mod team Ive ever seen. It takes time with this complicated sim, but they have a solid track record of astounding quality of production if not quantity. They are going to take this sim into the future and make it into the sandbox that Il2 46 was.
    The dream of a new Il2 with better graphics, sounds, maps and physics is realized here, and it only gets better with every new pilot! The more people that come along and the more that have the skills to contribute the more the sim can grow.
    This sim is OURS now, we can make it what WE always wanted! Not the flight game lock you into a crap single player campaign, in which you must grind out XP to unlock the tools for multi player. That is garbage.
    Get on board brothers and together we can build Olegs original dream from a decade ago.
  63. Dec 16, 2014
    This rating is based on a Team Fusion modded v4.3 install.

This rating is based on a Team Fusion modded v4.3 install.

This game was crap when it came out. So performance hungry it brought machines to their knees, riddled with bugs and issues. Team Fusion - a core group of volunteers - have brought this game forward leaps and bounds. There's still issues, the AI model is unpredictable and not truly satisfying, spotting targets can be frustrating and the graphical map based bugs (rivers getting MORE visible from altitude) grate. However, for out and out immersion, jump on an online server (the folks at www.stormofwar.org have really taken online to another level for one example but there are others) and fly a campaign with AI and other players. Realistic ground control by players, huge bomber intercepts, stats and alsorts of new stuff planned.

As and when Team Fusion get access to the core code of the game to continue bug fixes, restore features hidden away and release new content - Africa theatre is coming in TF5, then this game will be an absolute treat and still beats the pants off the competition like Battle of Stalingrad.
  64. Dec 2, 2014
    this game is still broken. Abandonware. Stay away. The flight models feel plastic. I might be biased because I have gotten used to the flight models from 777 games of Rise of Flight and Battle of Stalingrad but really, terrible feel to this game.
  65. Dec 22, 2014
    This game plus the Team Fusion MOD is a must have!
    You will not regret spending the time downloading and installing the MOD as it makes the incomplete original game a real masterpiece!

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Il-2 Cliffs of Dover is full of hidden potential, but due to a disastrous amount of bugs, design decisions and totally unfinished features it remains well hidden. The project failed to deliver on the promises and was finally abandoned – but not by modders. And that, my friends, is why this could still become someone's finest hour. [Dec 2013]
  2. Oct 2, 2011
    A successor to the legendary combat flight simulator video game insults its name and its fans by its state of the released version. The game can be partly forgiven for the upcoming revisions that are to improve its gaming experience. I dare say this game is going to be truly great in the following year. Unfortunately, now it's suitable only for those lovers that are patient and loyal to the combat flight simulator games.
  3. Sep 6, 2011
    There's one hell of a game in there, trying to escape. And I think, given the responsiveness and the past track record of the development team and the plans that lie ahead in the next few months, that escape will soon occur.