• Publisher: Cinemax
  • Release Date: Sep 18, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 17, 2012
    Pretty good. I enjoy it. The translation is good with very few mistakes but it's pretty tough to play and wears me out (mainly because I physically write stuff down in order to make sure I don't mess up).
  2. Aug 7, 2013
    This is purely, truly, awesome. And I might add, aggravatingly difficult and 'lostness' inducing... But that's what it's supposed to be. Honestly, even with reading other reviews, I had no idea what kind of dialogue trees I would parachute into. It's definitely not a game for the dyslexic, or the 'lore-lite' inclined. That said, this is the holy grail, nay, the Unicorn of old-schoolThis is purely, truly, awesome. And I might add, aggravatingly difficult and 'lostness' inducing... But that's what it's supposed to be. Honestly, even with reading other reviews, I had no idea what kind of dialogue trees I would parachute into. It's definitely not a game for the dyslexic, or the 'lore-lite' inclined. That said, this is the holy grail, nay, the Unicorn of old-school type potion-hauling, 'Oh look I can see that I equipped that!' type gaming.

I will say, you'll personally give this game a minus ten if you can't sit through literal (clocked, four hours of dialogue in the tutorial village) hours of reading... But... The caveat to that statement is that it's incredibly well-written. I don't know these sprites/NPCs. I haven't been able to finish their initial quests... yet... I think I know who they are; what they're like. The game has given me my own tools to think about, much like a great mystery novel. No diablo hack and slash grind here; this is more of a patient, vodka-sipping 'choose-your-own-adventure' book, dressed up in old-school PC gaming nostalgia.

And not part of the review, but just my personal take... I can't wait to unravel it. I'm one of those silly 'play it on maximum difficulty people'. This game does not hold your hand. Everything is a discovery; four hours in, this piece of media is an exercise in 'do it yourself type pain.' My applause to the dev/devs. I love this. In most old-school adventure games (diablo-type), you'll go out, kill some stuff, and return richer than when you started... This... This... is the antithesis.

Also, the lore.. Now, in new franchises, especially fantasy ones, when you hear... new lore... you're like... blah blah... Sword of this and that... Wheel of... The Rings... Yes, Diablo, Mephisto, Ba'al, right... But here... They've done something different. They created a fictional world, much the same as ours was in 1223 AD... But they actually said it... They use real crosses in the cathedrals, and the antagonist of the game is Satan. This adds something special, real, and bold to the presentation. It actually brings the question to the table of, 'why haven't we seen this before?'... There's enough lore-distortion here, with it's own mythology, to make the game in such away that someone didn't copy the book of revelation in a cheap way to make a buck, but somehow, the game is still able to encompass modern day religious thought in a way that you can plausibly identify with it. Gravity, evil, goodness... They didn't duck any social convention here... And this world seems more real, and... well... seriously more funnerer, and gooderer with it. And you can be very, very good, or, at this point, I'm assuming, very, very evil. The steam description made mention of running an inquisition, complete with racking, flaying, burning, and the drinking of boiling water, for heretics. As of yet, I've seen none of that. When I find a guilty heretic, I might actually look forward to some righteous justice.

One last thing; I'm sure this can develop in many different ways. This title is in no way 'on the rails'. You have the freedom to interact with NPCs as you see fit. I've already totally closed off avenues with certain NPCs, while opening up new paths with others. In the age we live in, we've become accustomed to exploring every dialogue option you can have with NPCs (Skyrim though I absolutely love it.. it's a completionist affair don't lie, you have a treasure room in your house too.) That's not the case here; you get one chance. You say what you're going to say, and it stands. You simply cannot speak to the same character again and gloss it over.

Finally, they've given us a game where you can make unique decisions, and burn bridges to the ground. Can't wait to get deeper into this. My four-hour review 19 out of ten, for independent, thoughtful, nerd-dream fulfilling awesomeness.
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    To put it simply, Inquisitor is a game that forces you to read(or skip) incredible amounts of dialog. Sure I think it's great that every character in the game world has something to say about every quest and it's phase but you are never told any tips who to talk to. For example it would make sense if asking about thing X from person A would make her say that person B might know, but no;To put it simply, Inquisitor is a game that forces you to read(or skip) incredible amounts of dialog. Sure I think it's great that every character in the game world has something to say about every quest and it's phase but you are never told any tips who to talk to. For example it would make sense if asking about thing X from person A would make her say that person B might know, but no; you have to talk to every god damn npc in town and sometimes even on the other end of the game world. Expand
  4. Aug 8, 2013
    Inquisitor is a painfully old-school RPG with a ton of text to read (that's a good thing) and no hand holding whatsoever (again it's a good thing).
    Inquisitor's only flaw is the combat which relies too much on stamina (the Priest might have an easier time), aside from that the story is interesting and well written, the graphics are well done and fit the game perfectly and the soundtrack is amazing.
    If you're a fan of old-school RPGs and have a lot of time on your hands then Inquisitor is definitely worth a try.
  5. Aug 11, 2013
    I would write a constructive review of this game, but it does not deserve this. Inquisitor is the worst game I have ever played. The first combat with giant bats is all you need to see to realize just how terrible this game is. There is no strategy; there is no skill involved. Furthermore, you cannot really see if your character is even attempting to hit the bats.

I do not

I do not understand how something this poor can get published on Steam. Shame on me for buying a game without watching a gameplay video on YouTube first. 9 bucks down the drain...
  6. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has a good story and good atmosphere. But the combat is painful and unrealistic. The problem is that your weapon will break literally within seconds of fighting multiple enemies, by multiple I mean like two. But for some reason this only applies to enemies after you have to kill the bats surrounding the starting area village. Its an old school game but the difficulty isThis game has a good story and good atmosphere. But the combat is painful and unrealistic. The problem is that your weapon will break literally within seconds of fighting multiple enemies, by multiple I mean like two. But for some reason this only applies to enemies after you have to kill the bats surrounding the starting area village. Its an old school game but the difficulty is borderline broken, we are talking harder than Darksouls, much harder. Without a manual you are gonna be screwed. I don't see how you could get through this game without a guide and it doesn't come with one on Steam.

I don't mind difficulty but this is unrealistically difficult, your character is so weak that I would assume that he is a late stage terminally ill cancer victim. Its not my cup of tea, because I don't like games where I have to use a guide.
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    From what I've gathered so far, Inquisitor reminds me a lot of my first experience with Lionheart If you don't know what you're doing, the game will stomp you into the ground and then take a dump on what's left of you.
    For people like me who will go out of their way to experience every tiny bit of lore, the fact that you have to talk to everybody multiple times until you stumble across the person who advances your quest is far less annoying than for most but it can still be irritating and makes it clear that the game was designed to be experienced in relatively short sessions of intense concentration, sort of like the Tolkien's Silmarillion: If you aren't completely focused, you will quickly lose track.
    The combat (more in pacing than anything else) and art style also remind me of Lionheart, which is a good thing if you're into that sort of thing but will annoy you to no end if even Diablo 2 was "too slow" and/or "too ugly" for your taste. Don't get me wrong, the combat can be quick and intense, but it's very different from how newer games handle it.
    For people who like hard RPGs, long campaigns and lore-heavy games, but wouldn't want to talk to the entire population of the earth, I would strongly recommend waiting for a detailed walkthrough to avoid frustration on that end. But once that's here, I wholeheartedly recommend that you pick it up.
    If you don't like hard games, older-school RPGs, long games or too much lore, you better hide under your bed, cause this game is your worst nightmare.
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    This is DEFINITELY not a game for casuals or younger gamers. If you think playing an "RPG" means watching lots of cinematics and pressing X to win, then this game is not for you. For true oldschool isometric RPG fans, this is game is a must.
  9. Aug 8, 2013
    Good story, good RPG gameplay. I personaly had good time playing it.
    Keep in mind its a old school RPG that play much like Baldur gate, except that you are a single person party.

So if you looking for AAA graphics with special effects, this game is not for you.

If you look at a good rpg with a solid story, nice and fun quest. and dont mind the isometric graphics, i can only recommande it.
  10. Aug 18, 2013
    Great setting & story idea, however the mechanics/combat design make the game pretty much unplayable.

The game has supposedly been in development for 10 years, which is really surprising since it looks like no time was spent balancing and designing combat. Instead of tweaking numbers, you're given infinite potions that heal you entirely and every fight simply becomes a boring AFK potion spam fest. Poor UI and controls don't help at all.
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    The Inquisity bits in the town are just big dialogue trees. You have to guess who has the next bit of evidence by wandering round talking to everyone about everything. Potentially, it could have been as good as the "Blade Runner" PC game, with the aim being to collect enough evidence to get a conviction but it's nothing like as slick. Act I's whodunnit was so deeply predictable that I'mThe Inquisity bits in the town are just big dialogue trees. You have to guess who has the next bit of evidence by wandering round talking to everyone about everything. Potentially, it could have been as good as the "Blade Runner" PC game, with the aim being to collect enough evidence to get a conviction but it's nothing like as slick. Act I's whodunnit was so deeply predictable that I'm not sure whether to waste time on Act II and beyond. Expand
  12. Aug 11, 2013
    This is definitely the old school type of RPG that probably isn't for everyone. Lots of running around talking to people and reading text, but I love that sort of thing. I don't think the learning curve is that steep, it's the basic character system (assigning points to skills, specializing in either paladin, priest or thief, etc.) every RPG has... You're outgunned at the beginning, it ifThis is definitely the old school type of RPG that probably isn't for everyone. Lots of running around talking to people and reading text, but I love that sort of thing. I don't think the learning curve is that steep, it's the basic character system (assigning points to skills, specializing in either paladin, priest or thief, etc.) every RPG has... You're outgunned at the beginning, it if you play smart and safe combat's not too uneven. That's my only complaint, combat is a little too simple but otherwise I feel this is a pretty amazing game so far and I'm only at level 20. If you enjoyed the old Ultimas, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale you'll probably like this one. Yeah graphics are old school but you quickly forget about that once you get immersed in the game proving once again for some of us it's all about the STORY and not point click bam bam bam. Expand
  13. Sep 4, 2013
    I bought this for 2$ when on sale: I'd gladly pay more then ten times that today.

The game has some flaws, combat is somewhat one where it goes to fast for a lot of the depth to be used like some spells and resistances. It's just more effective to buff you and your allies with more damage, cast damage spells or just downright bash the enemy whilst massing pots than to use every kind of spell (like you sometimes would have to in Baldurs Gate).
    However this is not always a bad thing since combat can become hectic since you are NOT allowed to micro-manage your party apart from some general commands like "Don't attack" or "Attack". Theirs and the enemies positioning requires a big more planning and strategy.

If you've played previous old-school RPG's I highly recommend this to you, it's amazing on so many levels and if you've ever wanted to roleplay in a dark, grim "Conan the barbarian" or "Berzerk" kind of universe then this is it. I really feel like I'm doing "God's work" when my priest is five levels down in the mountain slaughtering devil-worshiping creatures. Or when I scour the cities for heretics, arresting them and burning them on the stake.

The game carries some moral dilemmas as well regarding torture and the ilk, but I'll let you discover that for yourselves.
    Protip: Melee is much better than spells at the start of the game.
  14. Sep 8, 2013
    Inquisitor is a great story with loads of text but the game forces you to save load almost constantly. Unfortunately the game play is kind of non-existent with you having two types of fight those you can win and those outside your "Level" of progression and you die immediately, (like actually immediately). Poison is a problem. There is no way to dispel it and if you get poisoned theInquisitor is a great story with loads of text but the game forces you to save load almost constantly. Unfortunately the game play is kind of non-existent with you having two types of fight those you can win and those outside your "Level" of progression and you die immediately, (like actually immediately). Poison is a problem. There is no way to dispel it and if you get poisoned the only thing you can do is warp back to the main village and stand by the healers till the poison wears off the healers will heal you every 12 seconds so you don't die. Poison lasts a solid five minutes. So that's five minutes down time every time you get near a spider. A single spider will poison one of your team the moment you get near it even though you will one shot it that's the way it is. If you use ranged attacks to keep your team out of harms way the spiders will re-spawn before you clear them all out. Weapons. Ohh dear. Weapons. They break. Yes they do. Constantly. On Dragon Rock or whatever it is called; you will have broken all your loadouts, (of which you get three), by the time you get from the bottom of the map to the shephard's hut, that's like your shopping trolly breaking by the time you get to the 1st aisle in a supermarket. That is kinda stupid and I'm not sure what they were aiming for here. It doesn't work whatever it was they tried for though because although the spider/poison thing is annoying this flimsy weapon crap is game breaking. I mean I will either find a way to mod this out or I'm not going back to the game because it is lame. Expand
  15. Sep 19, 2013
    Text heavy and old school to the point of being clunky Inquisitor is a welcome return to the ARPG's of yore. The graphics date from around the D2 era if not slightly worse and there are no options whatsoever to rebind keys. There is a good story lurking if you're able to read between the lines and get over the very poorly done English translations (the game was originally released inText heavy and old school to the point of being clunky Inquisitor is a welcome return to the ARPG's of yore. The graphics date from around the D2 era if not slightly worse and there are no options whatsoever to rebind keys. There is a good story lurking if you're able to read between the lines and get over the very poorly done English translations (the game was originally released in czech). Easily 50+ hours of gameplay if you really engage with it. Expand
  16. Dec 10, 2013
    I doubt people who are used to newer games will like this title, because Inquisitor really sticks to the old-school design rules. No hand holding, a lot of reading, you actually have to think and plan ahead, combat is difficult basically if you are like me and have grown on games like Arcanum, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate then this game is a must have. On the other hand if your ideaI doubt people who are used to newer games will like this title, because Inquisitor really sticks to the old-school design rules. No hand holding, a lot of reading, you actually have to think and plan ahead, combat is difficult basically if you are like me and have grown on games like Arcanum, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate then this game is a must have. On the other hand if your idea of a great RPG is a compass that will hand-hold you to your next quest, simplistic dialogs and loads of flashy cinematics, then this game is not for you go play Oblivion or Skyrim instead.

I give this game a pure 10/10.
  17. Jul 12, 2014
    Simply put, this is one of the best RPGs I've played, and I've played many of them. If you like hardcore, old-school, stat-based RPGs with a high degree of challenge and rewarding gameplay, buy this game now!

It has wonderful exploration ala Baldur's Gate, with many exciting things to find. TONS of text-based dialog, which is well-written and a joy to explore, challenging combat that will require some tactics and even luck to beat, a great loot system and the story is amazing and unique. The atmosphere is also top notch and you really feel like you are exploring a world where heretics are loose on the land and bringing damnation and evil to all. It's really creepy, in a good way.

Don't let the hardcore, old-school labels scare you off, though. Progressing in the game is not that difficult, you just have to figure out where to go next on your own. If you wander into the wrong part of a map, you can be obliterated. Likewise, if you try to tackle certain encounters and enemies too early, you'll surely die. You have to actually explore and won't be guided around by a magical compass with enemies that level-scale to you. No, you WILL die until you figure out the proper route to take. Once you figure out the proper route, the difficulty is not that bad. Just load up on potions and find some tough companions to take along with you and you should be fine.

All in all, if you're still reading this, I would highly recommend this game. If you're a fan of creepy and believable atmospheres, rewarding gameplay and wonderful exploration and narrative, this game is for you. Have fun torturing those heretics! :)
  18. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is painful. I am an old RPG fan, and yes, i loved Baldur's Gate and the old Fallouts, but this is nowhere near the same league. And the main problem of the game is its complete lack of polish. It is so gamer-unfriendly it hurts, from the awfully difficult, borderline-broken combat system or the points in the story where the plots couldn't get more ambiguous, to the many times when the game simply breaks on you and you have to reload or find a way around an insurmountable obstacle. Another thing i didn't like is that the game pushes you into a certain gameplay if you are to have ANY hope whatsoever to be succesful: for example, you can't beat the last levels of the game without the spell Levitation, but u have no idea it would be so beforehand, since nobody in the game hints that to you. Therefore, if you try to play a fighter or an archer without focusing on certain types of spells, you are screwed and you have to use the cheat console to get past certain levels. With tons of patience and loads of community help, one might be able to complete the game. But i'm still not sure this "adventure" is compatible with the definition of fun. Expand
  19. Oct 16, 2013
    Inquisitor is a excellent game but I must warn you, if you are not a hardcore rpg gamer, you won’t find it very attractive, the game recreates the feeling of the golden age of rpg games.
    The music is well created, maybe one of the strong points of the game, the story and the investigation stuff are very nice and helps to create a unique style of game, for those who prefer modern graphics, slashing action and that Kill Bill kind of stuff, stay away from the game but if you like rpg games such as Never winter nights and Ancient Evil that's your game!
  20. Jun 12, 2014
    A much better game than the usual super hyped one like Elder Scrolls Skyrim or Neverwinter nights to be closer to the genre.

People are just superficial and think graphics are all what it takes to make a game. This one proves the contrary. It is tough, especially as a thief, but the game is good. An excellent story, but be careful to whom you talk to and what you say to people, it might get you into trouble! I like their approach on the dialog choices and the changes that it can do in the game.

Good job! Hope you keep the game alive with additional content or an expansion.
  21. Jul 11, 2014
    The game is very hardcore, i would NOT recommend to the casual gamer. The game is very unforgiving, but has a very complex and interesting story-line. The people who have alot patience and love for rpg's will sink their teeth right into this splendid game. The game is not for everyone. I've only played 11 hours, and i've barely scratched the surface.
  22. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is AWESOME !! This is really nice hard-core rpg (Diablo-like). Probably the best part of this game is storytelling and music. Dialogues are perfectly made with a lot of non-linear parts. This game has probably the biggest amount of dialogues I have ever seen. There are also tons of side quests. Main story is very interesting with some nice twists to it.
    Definitely buy this game!!

It’s pretty obvious, Inquisitor is not a game for everybody. The hardcore mechanics, the increased difficulty curve, the old-school aesthetics, will undoubtedly irritate those accustomed to playing only polished and streamlined action-RPGs like Skyrim. [November 2012]
  2. Oct 28, 2012
    Difficult, ucompromising and obtuse, Inquisition will appeal to fans of the hardest of hardcore old-school RPGs. [Nov 2012, p.84]
  3. Oct 11, 2012
    The main character of Inquisitor is quite creative when it comes to torturing heretics. You can rack people, make them drink boiling water, or put them into the iron maiden… But the game itself is an even worse torture – not everyone can suffer through 100 hours being bored and annoyed at the same time. Inquisitor is not a hardcore RPG; it just hates the player.