6.8

1. May 28, 2014
    "Use cover to avoid fire.” That was the first in-game tip that Inversion gave me, and it explains the game more succinctly than I could hope to. It’s a third-person shooter in the Gears of War vein, set in a generic American city attacked by primitive cultists. You move between areas full of waist-high walls, duck behind them, kill everything in the room, then run (or, more accurately,"Use cover to avoid fire.” That was the first in-game tip that Inversion gave me, and it explains the game more succinctly than I could hope to. It’s a third-person shooter in the Gears of War vein, set in a generic American city attacked by primitive cultists. You move between areas full of waist-high walls, duck behind them, kill everything in the room, then run (or, more accurately, waddle-sprint) to the next. Sometimes there’s a turret section – you know, just to spice things up. Expand
  2. Aug 4, 2012
    I can't stand it when good games get low scores and this is one of them. The single player is better than Gears. The Graphics and story are of a high quality. Really good game and there is co-op but not split screen. Buy this it will be less than £20/$20 by now.
  3. Aug 2, 2012
    Inversion is a game very similar to triology of gears of war but with some improvements and advantages, such as being able to use the zero gravity in some scenarios, due to the fact it is similar to gears, arrives to be repetitive and short. But that game is pra who demand play more to pass the time, expect games best, a distraction.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    There is no getting away from it, no avoiding it: this game is such a screaming rip-off of Gears of War that it is painful. Even the enemies in Inversion could have walked straight from a fight in Gears, their design is so similar.
    And that is a shame, as there was actually a pretty decent game under here. Sure cover based, third-person shooters are never gonna get very far on PC but it had a lot going for it. The graphics are more than passable, the port is solid with good performance and well thought out menus, the controls are intuitive and responsive and the gravity-switching gimmick can be genuinely impressive to behold, especially when coupled with the games highly capable physics system.
    The thing that killed it for me eventually however and left me utterly unwilling to continue playing was the cut scenes. Never in my life have I seen so many cut-scenes. Sure they are skip-able - a laudable feature - but sweet damn there are HUNDREDS of the things, some mere seconds apart. Often you get a literal 30 seconds of action after a cut-scene, giving you time to kill maybe 2 dudes before you are tossed another cut-scene. It is simply astonishing.

Is this game worth its asking price? No, not really and not even the co-op mode can fix that. Maybe grab it as a budget item but certainly look out for more from the same studio.
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    My first impression of Inversion was pretty bad. The gameplay was cutscene-heavy and linear. The combat felt samey but clearly inferior to other similar games. The story was pretty dull the environments were boring and the game did overall feel really tired and passionless.

But i carried on and the game actually got a bit better. The story took off and became very close to interesting. and the cutscenes also got a lot less frequent and annoying. The environments got much more interesting and gameplay -features related to the different inversion mechanics got introduced.

Now what the inversion does except some basic gravity manipulation is to create semi-flying cover-based areas and combat areas on walls and etc. Neither of the really changed the gameplay from the standard cover based shooting gameplay. But they did make it a bit more interesting. The gravity manipulation did also give the combat some uniqueness which is always nice. There was some boss-battles thrown in there which was a nice change of pace.

The combat do however have some flaws that need to be addressed. The cover based shooting is simply alright and the combat doesn't feel as polished as it does in similar games. The weapon and enemy variety aren't all that great and the game do reuse some boss-fights more than once. I am also not a big fan of the games checkpoint system and i felt that it made me replay more than necessary on more than one location.

Inversion is by no means a perfect game but all games do not need to be perfect. Inversion is a quite average third person shooter and the games around 8 hours long campaign is not a bad way to spend some time for a fan of the genre. If you expect anything out of the ordinary then there is a change that you will be disappointed.

Note: I played through the game solo and did not touch the co-op. Looks elsewhere for info on that.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    you're not missing anything if you skipped this game as it is a copy of gears of war with new features i didn't like or even used much shooting is so linear and characters are boring and so linear sound effects are the worst i ever saw in short skip this game
  7. May 3, 2013
    Take the combat mechanics of Gears of War, some zero-g aspects from Dead Space, add a unique story and you get Inversion. The game is short (6-7) hours, full of cut scenes and feels overall it feels rushed. The game starts strong but fades off quickly. The boss battles become repetitive because you end up facing the same few bosses over and over again, only more difficult than theTake the combat mechanics of Gears of War, some zero-g aspects from Dead Space, add a unique story and you get Inversion. The game is short (6-7) hours, full of cut scenes and feels overall it feels rushed. The game starts strong but fades off quickly. The boss battles become repetitive because you end up facing the same few bosses over and over again, only more difficult than the previous ones. The one thing that it had going for it, the gravitational shifts, was completely lacking. Engaging in battles with enemies in a different gravitational shift than you is exciting. However, it was only done about 3 or 4 times. They focused too much on the zero-g fighting which was rather tedious and boring. I absolutely loved the story though. Despite it needing to be filled in more with details and fixing gaps in content, the overall and main focus were entertaining and done really well. Expand
  8. Aug 25, 2013
    Although the beginning has excited me, the course became dull and the ending was disappointing. The game play is simple and a copy of Gears of War, has a cool function control gravity but becomes shallow. The enemies are very repetitive too. Graphics and sounds are just ok. The plot excited me in the beginning and reached a climax that made ​​me want to go to the end to know what wasAlthough the beginning has excited me, the course became dull and the ending was disappointing. The game play is simple and a copy of Gears of War, has a cool function control gravity but becomes shallow. The enemies are very repetitive too. Graphics and sounds are just ok. The plot excited me in the beginning and reached a climax that made ​​me want to go to the end to know what was happening, but in the end nothing is explained and leave you with a big wtf about the events. Expand
  9. Oct 1, 2015
  10. Oct 30, 2016
    A pretty decent Gears of War clone. Gameplay is just fine with solid shooting mechanics and great gore. Story is overall nothing to raise an eye brow for, except theres one really damn cool plot twist.

Runs great on PC. Not much else to add.
  11. Jul 29, 2012
    I enjoy co-op play, especially when it allows two people to experience the entire campaign. Inversion does not disappoint in this respect. The co-op experience is fun. It is not fully involved with assistive problem solving such as the likes of Laura Croft "Guardian of Light"; however, all of the common co-op elements are there, revives, climbs, path splits, etc. I've seen many referencesI enjoy co-op play, especially when it allows two people to experience the entire campaign. Inversion does not disappoint in this respect. The co-op experience is fun. It is not fully involved with assistive problem solving such as the likes of Laura Croft "Guardian of Light"; however, all of the common co-op elements are there, revives, climbs, path splits, etc. I've seen many references to Gears of War as a comparison and this is not inaccurate. If you liked playing Gears, you should like this game.

While telling the story, there are a *lot* of cut scenes to move the story along...almost too many, but it's really hard to complain about a developer that is involving you in a story. The story itself is nothing earth shattering, but it is engaging enough to keep you moving and wondering what's going on. One small nag concerning some of the cut scenes, they often leave you standing in the open, with a big target on your forehead while you scramble to get your bearings and find cover. The voice overs are not bad and the cinematic cut-scenes are very good, game-engine detail. At some points, the voice overs do seem slightly off, but all-in-all, very likeable and scene-setting.

Game mechanics: the first thing to say is bravo! Saber has created what has to be the absolute best buddy joining system of all time. Both players start the game and can immediately see each other on the main menu screen. Click your partner's name and then click the option to join them. No invites, no port opening follies, no frustration. Plain and simple the best solution to the often frustrating nonsense that most developers put you through. Well done. Inside the game, the cover system is nearly identical to Gears, including the sometimes frustrating pieces where you bounce around on cover elements while you're trying to free yourself to fight or run. I'm sure a lot of it is my gameplay, frantically mashing buttons in the thick of it all, but it's sometimes frustrating. Cover is not absolute, and nearly anything can be used as "some" cover. Depending on what you're hiding behind and where the enemies are, your cover may not work well at all. :) Some cover elements can also be destroyed, which is pretty cool and fun to deal with. The gravity element produces some very cool options for fights and level progression. And the orientation twisting creates a pretty cool element of rotating the battlefield.

This game is intended to be a two player game. Not having played the single-player, I can't comment on that aspect. Is this game ground-breaking, fresh, and flawless? Nope. But it *is* a great time spent with a buddy, romping through the story. Worth the money and is an experience that is pretty rare (campaign co-op). Don't bag on it for being like "Gears", embrace it and enjoy it for doing so. I had a lot of fun playing Gears and had as much fun playing Inversion. Great job Saber, I'd like to see even more games of this type!

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 10, 2012
    The game that wanted to be king but was afraid of making the right decisions – sometimes when you copy successful concepts from others and combine them with your own fresh ideas you just waste the potential. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 10, 2012
    Inversion is a heavily linear by-the-numbers cover shooter that fails to make the most of its few high points. [Nov 2012, p.72]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    The potential for something strong was here- but the mediocre level design and the repetition of the mechanics, hold Inversion back from 'diamond' status. That's not to say that it's a bad game: the 9 or 10 hours of gameplay are fun, but only that… there's not enough thrill and excitement to hold you from other games. [September 2012]