6.7

1. Jul 29, 2012
    Inversion is a polished, coherent, story driven, coop shooter that is just the right length. A friend and I had a blast playing through the campaign in about 10 hours. I read a critic review on here that condemned the game with a (45) for being a
  2. Jul 29, 2012
    I enjoy co-op play, especially when it allows two people to experience the entire campaign. Inversion does not disappoint in this respect. The co-op experience is fun. It is not fully involved with assistive problem solving such as the likes of Laura Croft "Guardian of Light"; however, all of the common co-op elements are there, revives, climbs, path splits, etc. I've seen many references to Gears of War as a comparison and this is not inaccurate. If you liked playing Gears, you should like this game.

While telling the story, there are a *lot* of cut scenes to move the story along...almost too many, but it's really hard to complain about a developer that is involving you in a story. The story itself is nothing earth shattering, but it is engaging enough to keep you moving and wondering what's going on. One small nag concerning some of the cut scenes, they often leave you standing in the open, with a big target on your forehead while you scramble to get your bearings and find cover. The voice overs are not bad and the cinematic cut-scenes are very good, game-engine detail. At some points, the voice overs do seem slightly off, but all-in-all, very likeable and scene-setting.

Game mechanics: the first thing to say is bravo! Saber has created what has to be the absolute best buddy joining system of all time. Both players start the game and can immediately see each other on the main menu screen. Click your partner's name and then click the option to join them. No invites, no port opening follies, no frustration. Plain and simple the best solution to the often frustrating nonsense that most developers put you through. Well done. Inside the game, the cover system is nearly identical to Gears, including the sometimes frustrating pieces where you bounce around on cover elements while you're trying to free yourself to fight or run. I'm sure a lot of it is my gameplay, frantically mashing buttons in the thick of it all, but it's sometimes frustrating. Cover is not absolute, and nearly anything can be used as "some" cover. Depending on what you're hiding behind and where the enemies are, your cover may not work well at all. :) Some cover elements can also be destroyed, which is pretty cool and fun to deal with. The gravity element produces some very cool options for fights and level progression. And the orientation twisting creates a pretty cool element of rotating the battlefield.

This game is intended to be a two player game. Not having played the single-player, I can't comment on that aspect. Is this game ground-breaking, fresh, and flawless? Nope. But it *is* a great time spent with a buddy, romping through the story. Worth the money and is an experience that is pretty rare (campaign co-op). Don't bag on it for being like "Gears", embrace it and enjoy it for doing so. I had a lot of fun playing Gears and had as much fun playing Inversion. Great job Saber, I'd like to see even more games of this type!
  3. Aug 4, 2012
    I can't stand it when good games get low scores and this is one of them. The single player is better than Gears. The Graphics and story are of a high quality. Really good game and there is co-op but not split screen. Buy this it will be less than £20/$20 by now.
  4. Aug 2, 2012
    Inversion is a game very similar to triology of gears of war but with some improvements and advantages, such as being able to use the zero gravity in some scenarios, due to the fact it is similar to gears, arrives to be repetitive and short. But that game is pra who demand play more to pass the time, expect games best, a distraction.
  5. Jul 30, 2012
    There is no getting away from it, no avoiding it: this game is such a screaming rip-off of Gears of War that it is painful. Even the enemies in Inversion could have walked straight from a fight in Gears, their design is so similar.
    And that is a shame, as there was actually a pretty decent game under here. Sure cover based, third-person shooters are never gonna get very far on PC but it
    had a lot going for it. The graphics are more than passable, the port is solid with good performance and well thought out menus, the controls are intuitive and responsive and the gravity-switching gimmick can be genuinely impressive to behold, especially when coupled with the games highly capable physics system.
    The thing that killed it for me eventually however and left me utterly unwilling to continue playing was the cut scenes. Never in my life have I seen so many cut-scenes. Sure they are skip-able - a laudable feature - but sweet damn there are HUNDREDS of the things, some mere seconds apart. Often you get a literal 30 seconds of action after a cut-scene, giving you time to kill maybe 2 dudes before you are tossed another cut-scene. It is simply astonishing.

Is this game worth its asking price? No, not really and not even the co-op mode can fix that. Maybe grab it as a budget item but certainly look out for more from the same studio.
  6. Aug 29, 2012
    I don't care if the mechanics resemble the Game Gears of War, I have played Gears of War before and I loved it. I had the same feeling with Inversion, and I must say the Idea of Zero Gravity is excellent. The game has a lot to offer and delivers a great Single Campaign and even a better Co-Op experience. The graphics and effects are way better then the ones used in GOW. Actually people should be happy a game like this hits the PC market as we only got one GOW game ever released for the PC. The genre is awesome and people who say the story is dull and has plot holes have no imagination anymore. Not every little detail has to be served on a silver plate for gamers to consume. I really loved this game. Every game has some flaws but critics have been way to harsh on such a good Sci-Fi shooter, I recommend this title very much. Its a A title game and should be treated with a little more respect. Expand
  7. Aug 22, 2012
    From the outset, the pace of the game is quite fractured, with lots of cut scenes interrupting around each corner, sort of like how it is in Vampire Rain. The action is fairly slow to start with, you get to shoot a few bad guys, initially it feels pretty much like any other TPS, although something that wasn't so typical was the limb loss feature - you can shoot off arms and legs or even pop off heads accompanied by crimson juice flowing freely, which looks really cool in action - especially in the later Zero-G sections. The proprietary Sabre engine is really a big asset to the game, the environments are suitably detailed and littered with things just waiting to be destroyed, there are some big action moments in the game - at one point you get the opportunity to level a huge building with a mounted turret - the game uses the Havok physics engine to great effect, I didn't get any serious slow downs or hiccups, overall the game seemed much better optimized than say the PC version of Saints Row The Third. Of course, not too far into the game you get hold of an Inversion device from a fallen Lutadore, and it more or less lets you throw out a stasis field that makes gravity pull things up or down. You are required to use the Inversion ability at predefined points, such as knocking away barriers or creating makeshift bridges. The real fun comes into its own when you get to throw cars at crowds of enemies, or even use reverse gravity to crush unsuspecting minions with overhanging crates and junk, which is pretty neat. Probably the most adrenaline fueled sequences are the frequent Boss battles, which require a lot of running about and throwing stuff, there is usually a simple routine to beat each encounter, but it is still pretty hectic. In single player your CPU controlled partner Leo doesn't really pull his weight, but remains handy during these fights because he can distract the enemies while you get on with the task at hand. Taking a cue from Army of Two, sometimes you encounter sliding doors that have to be held open for your buddy, or provide boosts to get to elevated areas and such. To be honest, Inversion grabs some inspiration from just about every major action game from the last seven years, and it is to the games credit that even with combining a menagerie of ideas the game still has a working coherency and I was always very interested to see what would happen next after each passing hour. I suppose how much you enjoy Inversion depends on your willingness to just have fun with what if offers. It is true that in most instances it is easier 'just to shoot', the guns are kind of generic so if you want to experiment with the inversion powers pulling enemies into the air, throwing them around, setting up explosive barrels, just try out different tactics you know, it is really kinda cool to play around with. I had a good time with this game, so all I can do is recommend you try it out for yourself! Expand
  8. Aug 7, 2012
    The truth is that INVERSION is a very cinematic action game with a great cinematic stunning in detail. The game has a good story, some great graphics with good texture and very spectacular especially when buildings destruct in front of you with awesome effects that have been implemented. The game looks great with full settings and 3DVision. Compared to the just out "spec ops the line" for my "INVERSION" is superior in spectacular, graphics and tempo. Only downside is that is not dubbed into spanish is a shame why the games are now translated into spanish the work of the actors is excellent. The action music meets perfectly with what is proposed and the sound effects too. Hopefully there will be second half with new generation engine and translated into spanish;-)! ps: do not understand the low rating of the game you get. It is not true or do not if this game is good. If you like Gears of Wars you will love INVERSION. I'm about to finish and the end is amazing! Expand
  9. Aug 26, 2012
    This is a pretty underrated game, people should stop comparing it to gears of war and take it for what it is. If you enjoy 3rd person shooters, especially a bit post-apoc/sci-fi, I suggest you definitely try this. The gameplay is pretty standard cover-based shooter combined with some low gravity movement which adds a unique character to the game. The graphics are good and the environments of the game are really well made and differ as you progress. Another thing I liked was that it is a decent pc port with good video options and plays well with kb + mouse. The plot might not be as solid as it could but it is still enjoyable, plus there are some very interesting twists. I only played singleplayer which lasted about 6-7 hours and ended leaving many questions unanswered which was kind of disappointing. Co-op is also available if you have a friend to play with, and some multiplayer options on which I can't comment. It is sad this game didn't get the attention and reception it deserves, saber interactive did a pretty good job and delivered an overall solid title. Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    Im going to give this perhaps a slightly generous 8, partly because of how harshly its been slammed by critics, the rest because I feel it deserves much more attention than its been given. Firstly, many remark about the games copy-catting. They are all true! And while it shouldnt be commended for such, if you are going to take "inspiration" from varies titles, it picked some good ones! The enemies would be right at home in gears of war, and the menus do look a lot like Mass effect. BUT, the game is actually a lot of fun! Im a big fan of anything that gives you a full campaign co-op experience and this does just that. The anti-grav gives some areas a nice twist, there is a good level of challenge involved as sections provide enemies that hurt enough without being silly (on normal) and ammo amounts mean you cant quite be reckless but unless your a terrible shot theres enough around to keep you going. The controls arent perfect, particularly hiding and moving from shelter to shelter (which you need to do as standing in open fire for even a short period of time will kill you and many places for holing up will be destroyed during gun fire). There is alos an INSANE amount of cut-scenes >_< Thankfully, all skippable! If there was 1 thing I would change about this is that id dramatically reduce the amount of cut-scenes. I read it was bad before buying it but thought maybe it was exaggerated that you can find cut-scenes spaced just seconds apart - it actually does happen!! 3/4 of which could be dialog that plays as you play, but as I said it is easily skipped. I would definitely say the critics score (averaging 59 atm) is less than it deserves. If you just want a change from the mainstream FPS and have a friend to play with, take a chance on this :) Expand
  11. Jan 7, 2013
    In short: You can avoid this game and your life won't be lacking. The only reason I can see to play this game would be if you REALLY love Gears of War and can't wait for the next installment to be released. Even then, I imagine you'd be happier replaying any of the GoW games. Inversion starts off with an intriguing premise, the idea of gravity affect tools, and then goes almost nowhere with it. Characters are 1 dimensional. Level design is poor. AI partner is a liability. Application of gravity tool fluctuates between superfluous and inconvenient. Cut-scenes ceaselessly interrupt gameplay. Checkpoints are usually inconvenient (i.e. - before a cut-scene, not after). Lack of shoulder aim switching makes combat tedious. Enemy types are very limited and poorly designed boss types are used repeatedly, sometimes in rapid succession. I did not play coop, which may have made the experience more enjoyable, but having played 4/5 of the game single player, I can't ask another person to play this game with a clear conscience. Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    My first impression of Inversion was pretty bad. The gameplay was cutscene-heavy and linear. The combat felt samey but clearly inferior to other similar games. The story was pretty dull the environments were boring and the game did overall feel really tired and passionless.

But i carried on and the game actually got a bit better. The story took off and became very close to interesting.
    and the cutscenes also got a lot less frequent and annoying. The environments got much more interesting and gameplay -features related to the different inversion mechanics got introduced.

Now what the inversion does except some basic gravity manipulation is to create semi-flying cover-based areas and combat areas on walls and etc. Neither of the really changed the gameplay from the standard cover based shooting gameplay. But they did make it a bit more interesting. The gravity manipulation did also give the combat some uniqueness which is always nice. There was some boss-battles thrown in there which was a nice change of pace.

The combat do however have some flaws that need to be addressed. The cover based shooting is simply alright and the combat doesn't feel as polished as it does in similar games. The weapon and enemy variety aren't all that great and the game do reuse some boss-fights more than once. I am also not a big fan of the games checkpoint system and i felt that it made me replay more than necessary on more than one location.

Inversion is by no means a perfect game but all games do not need to be perfect. Inversion is a quite average third person shooter and the games around 8 hours long campaign is not a bad way to spend some time for a fan of the genre. If you expect anything out of the ordinary then there is a change that you will be disappointed.

Note: I played through the game solo and did not touch the co-op. Looks elsewhere for info on that.
  13. Aug 6, 2013
    you're not missing anything if you skipped this game as it is a copy of gears of war with new features i didn't like or even used much shooting is so linear and characters are boring and so linear sound effects are the worst i ever saw in short skip this game
  14. May 3, 2013
    Take the combat mechanics of Gears of War, some zero-g aspects from Dead Space, add a unique story and you get Inversion. The game is short (6-7) hours, full of cut scenes and feels overall it feels rushed. The game starts strong but fades off quickly. The boss battles become repetitive because you end up facing the same few bosses over and over again, only more difficult than the previous ones. The one thing that it had going for it, the gravitational shifts, was completely lacking. Engaging in battles with enemies in a different gravitational shift than you is exciting. However, it was only done about 3 or 4 times. They focused too much on the zero-g fighting which was rather tedious and boring. I absolutely loved the story though. Despite it needing to be filled in more with details and fixing gaps in content, the overall and main focus were entertaining and done really well. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2014
    Wanna run on walls and upside down, shooting aliens invaders in search for a missing daughter? Here is your chance.

This is an underestimated game for sure. Don´t get why it got slammed in the reviews. One reason is that it might have been broken. In the main menu you can see it´s version 5 point something. Patched many times since release in other words. The coop worked for me without
    a hitch. I'm in Sweden and my partner lives in the US. Pretty much as far apart as 2 humans can be on this earth. =)
    Some of the game takes place in the city. This is its weak point. In general this is a well designed game that really shines in some areas and by doing so, the lesser parts stand out. It has better physics than most games. A lot of destructible things to play around with. A bit in to the game you get the ability to throw cars at people. Awesome. It´s no 10 out of 10 game. It has flaws.

Less awesome aspects:

Acting could be better and the voices could be better implemented with a smoother transition on a surround system. It kind of jumps from one speaker to another.
    No vsync in a world that is constantly rumbling and moving around. Playing on my tv and the tearing is horrible. Thank god for the ability to force it via the GPU driver. Or you create a textfile named config.cfg in the folder with the .exe and in that file you type vsync=1.
    Some areas in the city are dull.
    A few choke points where the difficulty level feels insane.
    Too few easter eggs.

More awesome aspects:

Most of the time the game looks great.
    Cool physics and well made pyrotechnic effects. Havok engine makes some of the explosions look beautiful.
    Gravity link is cool.
    Lots of destroyable ♥♥♥♥.
    Cool story.
    Nice character models, the "fat friend" is one of them. Main mans hair looks weird though. Alot better than the blocks we like to pretend is hair in the unreal engine. =)

I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes a story driven, cover based, 3:d person shooter with coop all the way. Slogan should be: "When you are bored and just want to blow ♥♥♥♥ up"

7.5/10 would be my score. Round that up and you get an 8. Would like to give it 10 to balance out all the BS this game has had to endure. But that would be insincere.
  16. Aug 25, 2013
    Although the beginning has excited me, the course became dull and the ending was disappointing. The game play is simple and a copy of Gears of War, has a cool function control gravity but becomes shallow. The enemies are very repetitive too. Graphics and sounds are just ok. The plot excited me in the beginning and reached a climax that made ​​me want to go to the end to know what was happening, but in the end nothing is explained and leave you with a big wtf about the events. Expand
  17. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]

The game that wanted to be king but was afraid of making the right decisions – sometimes when you copy successful concepts from others and combine them with your own fresh ideas you just waste the potential. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 10, 2012
    Inversion is a heavily linear by-the-numbers cover shooter that fails to make the most of its few high points. [Nov 2012, p.72]
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    The potential for something strong was here- but the mediocre level design and the repetition of the mechanics, hold Inversion back from 'diamond' status. That's not to say that it's a bad game: the 9 or 10 hours of gameplay are fun, but only that… there's not enough thrill and excitement to hold you from other games. [September 2012]