- Summary: Jagged Alliance Online will be built around the familiar Jagged Alliance games mechanics, which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action. The player takes control of a group of soldiers, commanding them from an isometric perspective to complete tasks in order to earn cash asJagged Alliance Online will be built around the familiar Jagged Alliance games mechanics, which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action. The player takes control of a group of soldiers, commanding them from an isometric perspective to complete tasks in order to earn cash as well as renown. If a player wants to stay on top, mercenaries will need to be trained and equipped with better weapons. If that's not quite enough, then mercenaries can be borrowed from friends or alliances can be formed with other players.… Expand
Positive: 0 out of 1
Mixed: 1 out of 1
Negative: 0 out of 1
PC PowerPlayAug 27, 2013An acceptable solution for the time-poor, but unless you've played them to death, you're better off with the originals. [Sept 2013, p.90]
Aug 19, 2013Finally a newer Jagged Alliance game that doesn't suck. I was a massive fan of JA1 & 2, but every other jagged alliance game I played wasFinally a newer Jagged Alliance game that doesn't suck. I was a massive fan of JA1 & 2, but every other jagged alliance game I played was rubbish till now.
JA online is highly addictive and free to play! I strongly suggest buying the single player campaign which contains a lot of extra content. The patches that come out are good and it seems the developers really care about what the players think.… Expand
Jun 20, 2013For my part I really like the game. As I am only playing it for the PvP part (and this part really is free 2 play) I am very happy with it.For my part I really like the game. As I am only playing it for the PvP part (and this part really is free 2 play) I am very happy with it.
So 2 thumbs up from me … Expand
Jun 13, 2013I like the game really much and would also recommend it to every friend (to whom I didn't do so far I already checked out this game monthsI like the game really much and would also recommend it to every friend (to whom I didn't do so far I already checked out this game months ago and lost attention because of suboptimal balancing and not enough attention from my side because I went on holiday. But now I came back and it is soo much better. I really enjoy it, because it gives me fun whenever I login (even in small pauses in work for a short session). Once one develops some personal strategies in PvP this really gets deep and really depends on the strategy. Some like to rush, some like to be carefull. But whoever you gonna be......I get you … Expand
Jun 10, 2013Squandered potential is the best way to describe this game. From what I understand, this game is a mildly successful browser game that theySquandered potential is the best way to describe this game. From what I understand, this game is a mildly successful browser game that they tried to turn into a real game. The problem lies in the devs/publisher not knowing what people want and expect from a game, so they gave us this, and have been genuinely surprised when people were not too happy with it.
The problems are legion, and I don't have the space to list them all, but some of the worst.Their F2P game is only the PvP part of the game, so I will rate it on that, although you do get to play the first couple of levels of the single player campaign for free.
- The PvP has no lobby for matches, you are randomly assigned an opponent with no regard to level. My first match I was pitted against a Level 27 team. He tried to make it fair by sending one man vs my squad, but it was no match.
- The maps are tiny and poorly designed and few. I have only seen 2 maps and I but I hear there are 3 total. As for size, with my 3 man squad vs a full 4 person squad it feels like a gun fight in the middle of Mumbai.
- Pay 2 Win. after 3 days, I still only have enough money to field a 3 person squad, with average weapons and armor. PvP matches allow for a 4 v 4 battle, and the random matching system doesn't care if the numbers are uneven.
- You can't see behind walls or trees or anything that is on the screen, and there is no camera rotation. You and your opponent do have a red outline around them if they are covered, so you can aim at them, but be ready for frustration as you try to figure out whether are actively taking cover behind something, or just kneeling on a patch of dirt as your opponent t fills you with bullets. I also turned the graphic setting to low, just so there would be less on the screen to block my view.
- Very long wait times for matches to be found. I feels like the only reason I have to fight an opponent 3 times my level is because they are the only other person on the game with these long wait times. Sadly you can see all the other people in the chat so you know this is not so.
There are many more problems, but there is no point listing them all. As a PvP game alone I would give this a 0 score, it has nothing fun about it. The single player campaign is different. While not without the same problems as the PvP, it was fun enough, and you can see the potential this game had. I would have given the single player campaign a 5. That just wasn't good enough to justify the $30 they want for it. There just too many better games to be had at that price.
The developers tell me they are working to fix these problems, and I think if they do it could be worth my time and money, and I am willing to try this again in a month. But for now just stay away.… Collapse
Jun 13, 2013I didnt spend much time with this one. But I have to say that base feature and lots of weapons are nice. But the actual combat is pretty dull.I didnt spend much time with this one. But I have to say that base feature and lots of weapons are nice. But the actual combat is pretty dull. You can move just in one level, no climbing on rofftops or over obstacles etc.. usually best tactic is just to run toward enemy and shoot it. And thats pretty much it what you will do in combat, run and shoot until the mission ends. And faster you do it better achievements you ge.
And its not totally free to play, and even it was I wont spend more time with this. I really wanted to see great Jagged Alliance game again, but the actual combat phase is so boring that I rather play something else.… Expand
Oct 12, 2013The recent trend of dumbing down great games and grabbing your money ASAP continues.
This game is sort of enjoyable for the first few hours.The recent trend of dumbing down great games and grabbing your money ASAP continues.
This game is sort of enjoyable for the first few hours. Then you start hitting the first walls.
I was lured by my love for the JA series, been a great fan of JA2.
- this game is NOT f2p, and I don't mean it's "better" if you pay, you literally can't play more advanced missions without paying for the "full" content.
- content is scarce, missions repetitive, maps dull and inconsistent
- you will soon find yourself farming the same missions since standard rewards are not even enough to pay for contract renewal of your mercs (I stopped playing for a couple of months, went back to it, and ALL my mercs' contracts had expired. Renewing ONE is 80k$. Reward for a full set of 5 high end missions is like 69K$.Good luck trying to raise the money with the one guy you still have left) Loot is garbage, selling prices are ridiculous, guess what? shell out real money, so you can pay you mercs. Absolute trash.
-tactically and strategically childish, few options, badly designed, very frustrating.
- PVP is a JOKE. NO COOP. I REPEAT: NO COOP. Just deathmatches which are completely unrelated to the general campaign. Alliances are useless, no territory control, no item exchange between players, no money, no NOTHING. Interactions between players is practically non existing. Hell even the chat system sucks. There is this wierd "warzone" system where you basically farm missions that pop up timed based, and that's it.
The WHOLE multiplayer aspect is really shallow and irritating. Would go as far as saying this is NOT a mmo game.
Player base has already collapsed, old players leaving and new ones turned away from the money grabbing attitude and shallowness of the whole thing.
Just..why? why do they allow corps/developers to do this? Once again, a very sad day for true gamers
Guys, don't give your money to these sort of games, or we'll just keep seeing the same s**t for ever and ever.
Gets a 1 just because it made me want to play a fully modded JA2 again.… Expand
Dec 5, 2013this game is a steaming bag of s^#%! its jagged alliance in name only, oncce you choose a class you cannot change it. the game play is buggedthis game is a steaming bag of s^#%! its jagged alliance in name only, oncce you choose a class you cannot change it. the game play is bugged and horrible. the interface sucks its basicly a broswer based game. the maps are awfully 2d you cannot tell if you'll end your turn behind cover or not because the obstructions. the animation looks like comminty college project. The visualy it looks dated (not retro) compared to fraxis putting xcom on Ipad iOS. Missions cost real money pvp is horrible. Only people who are new to stragety games might enjoy this game because ignorance is bliss… Expand