5.8

1. D_S
    Aug 22, 2010
    Forget constructive criticism, I just can't understand why this garbage is allowed to exist and why money grubbing developers are allowed to make a profit off of it. Stay at least 10.5 Kilometers away from this putrid, gimmicky, console-oriented trash.
  2. Jan 11, 2011
    Gears of War (which is bad) with shakycam (bad) and shakycam (bad) and shakycam (bad) and a poor excuse for a story that's more about trying to offend you rather than make any coherent sense (very bad!). Also two and a half hours long.
  3. Aug 17, 2010
    I didn't know a game shorter than Call of Duty existed. This game proved me wrong. The visual 'artifacts' are just used to cover up the crappy textures and shoddy AI. The animation of the characters was horrible as well. Its just a poor shooter overall. I admit the online was kinda fun for a while, but I imagine its going to be dead in a few months. Rent it, or pick it up from the bargain bin in a years time, but I really can't recommend buying this at full price. Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2010
    Total failure. Story is boring and short. Cover system is broken. Some enemies are like minibosses. AI is straightforward, just rushing at you. More and more... I just can't think of a good thing about this game. Stay away. And don't even believe any of the review(er)s that gave this game a good score.
  5. Aug 17, 2010
    I hate the film grain. I hate the shaking camera... but when you remove both, the silly game just looks like PS2 graphics. I would definitely not recommend this game to anyone. The shooting felt boring and repetitive. After the first 5 minutes, you've seen all. The multilayer modes are basically all the same with little twists. And seriously, I played through the whole game in 2 hours on the easiest difficulty level. Expand
  6. Aug 18, 2010
    much better than the first one. the visual style, the whole grimey feeling of the game is amazing, plus i cant stop playing the multiplayer. recommended!!!!!
  7. Aug 19, 2010
    A very bad game, with poor game mechanics and a terrible story. I recommend you read Destructoid's review of this game before even considering a purchase.
  8. Aug 19, 2010
    I can't believe it's IO Interactive. More like CITY Interactive. K&L2 is like a horrible shooter from Poland. No story, no gameplay, no scripts, no videos, no damn ending scene, NOTHING at all. Total waste of money and time. Don't buy it. If you never played K&L - then buy first game, it's so much better than this crap.
    P.S. Oh, and crappy fullscreen effects blow your mind - disable them
    and see awful graphics, which is worse than in K&L1. Expand
  9. Aug 19, 2010
    Kane & Lynch 2 is badly designed, linear, reach-next-checkpoint type of game with only one gameplay twist on the way. Hiding behind covers is bugged, shooting difficult due to high 'drunken factor' of weapons. Although I liked the main characters and Die Hard like style, the game is treating them (which makes player wonder, how much they can take), it just wasn't enough to keep me playing from beginning to end on a single run... which is just another flaw, because finishing the game takes 4-5 hours on Medium difficulty. Speaking of difficulty, developers haven't taken any original approach - it's just more and more enemies at once with every level, which reaches it's ridiculous apogee at the end of game, where game throws at player 20-25 enemies at once.
    Graphics aren't that bad, but they fill empty without post-processing, with it the game looks more like a movie recorded with bad digital camcorder - it's kind of beautiful, but very annoying at the same time. Not everybody likes such a style of graphics, but unfortunately everybody will find it annoying sometimes - post-processing just makes the game hard to play. Also the level design is far from perfect - the levels aren't that original! They are flat and even destructible environment doesn't help them much.

Overall - For the first hour, I had quite a good time playing it, until I've started to realise how linear and finally boring it is... and then in one level the game faded to black and the credits rolled - in the most unexpected moment, I've ever witnessed in video games. I wouldn't call it a bad game (I've played worse), but even with such a greatly designed characters as Kane and Lynch and a cooperative mode, the number of flaws is so overwhelming, that it makes it barely even a mediocre game.
  10. Aug 19, 2010
    Look of the game is fantastic and innovative but...game play is terrible and characters/story underwritten. Absolute wasted opportunity. Makes Dead Men look like a classic in comparison. Epic fail as people say.
  11. Aug 21, 2010
    This game is intense, original and in your face. The characters are realistic and the voice acting and sound effects are superb. If you like "Die Hard" action flicks, and you would like to up the ante by several hundred percent, then this game/film is for you. I never played the first one due to so many bad reviews, and I have only played this one for 3 hours so far. The AI is usually clever, and I think playing this game on anything other than easy level would be quite a challenge for your average gamer. I like to experiment and experience different effects on the game play experience. I am using the film grain and camera shake effects on easy level for the first run through the story, and then I will up the difficulty without effects for a second run. There are no other games like this. It contains some disturbing scenes, and these are handled as tastefully as one could possibly achieve without actually editing them out. This title deserves high praise. I recommend it to mature adults that can handle and sometimes enjoy something outside the square. Expand
  12. Aug 21, 2010
    I love this game :) Dark, grimy and awesome gameplay. This doesn't play like MW2 or L4D2 or any other shooter I've played, which is why I guess I like it so much. The enemy AI moves fairly predictably after a couple of attempts to clear a stage, but to be honest, this is not a 100 hour single player game. I didn't buy it to last forever, I bought it for the buzz of the game.

Each
    stage requires different flanking techniques and there are several directions to get to where you're going. Could do with more things that go bang I think though.

Haven't tried MP yet, still getting the practice in. Play the demo, and if you like it, buy the game. I think it rocks.
  13. Aug 23, 2010
    I loved this game, it is short but very intense. I thought the camera work and grainy look really added to the atmosphere, and I felt like I was tagging along with two very insane gunmen. The story is pretty gritty and I really enjoyed the way the progression went along. I wouldn't say that the AI is the best, but overall I didn't feel like it detracted from the overall experience. The multi-player is really a blast as well! Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2010
    Liked the attempt at the gritty/realism style, but the controls were imperfect. I uninstalled this one early after replaying the same stupid section (and watching the same stupid unskippable minute-long cutscene that started the section) ten stupid times.
  15. Aug 29, 2010
    I like the handhold camera idea, in the beginning it's a bit annoying. But if you just disable the screen effects it's awesome! I really like this game, and the characters! ...
  16. Sep 3, 2010
    Wow another epic fail. BUT at least this one didnt try so hard to hide it.

Like the swab or recent duck pop up ... duck pop up.. shooters that are pouring out of the industry (WHY WHY?) Kane & lynch 2 offers nothing really new or exciting.
    This is, a good thing in my opinion. For once a game that knows its going to be linear.. simple.. and not contrived while hiding under the guise of a
    fancy backdrop with fancy cars.
    You get what you see here.
    The battles are intense when in them, and the load times are very well done, but I couldnt help but feel that I just wanted the game to be over instead of playing it. Yep its one of those folks. Hurry up! Play it, beat it and erase the sucker for space on the hard drive for better games.

This game at least has some areas of understanding its limits. Wish I could say the same for other titles (see mafia II for details)
  17. Sep 8, 2010
    This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. This game blows. Worth a 3 but gave it a big fat Z E R O (0) to offset positive reviews by people who got paid by the makers. Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2010
    I nominate Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days as one of 2010's worst game. Forget constructive criticisms, I already lost enough time "playing" that piece of garbage!
  19. Dec 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is kinda good game but no people playing this game,Story? The most fu** you ending ever. Good job Eidos for wasting my money for this sheety game. >:( Expand
  20. Oct 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monotonous and not interesting. Weak plot, wretched graphics This is not a shooter, it's just a shooting gallery. A positive I can note only one thing, it's a fun camera. Expand
  21. Oct 3, 2010
    Really a crap game made by- and for- people who think mindless swearing and a lack of imagination is cool . 2 points for the look of singapore, or shanghai, or whatever.
  22. Jun 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the haters. Actually this game was really fun and is almost one of best cooperative games I ever played. Visual effects were really good, I have never seen before such filters. I truly loved it. At beginning I didn't like the weapons since I couldn't hit with them, however later you get better weapons.
    Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days is for real gamers.
  23. Nov 25, 2010
    If you enjoy PC games then this is NOT for you. Not in the slightest. The game fails miserably at the control part. It's unplayable. Unless you got a xbox/ps3 controller lying around.
    Only the force unleashed beats this port in being useless. I usually write half-page long reviews but this doesn't deserve it, not anywhere near.
  24. Nov 8, 2010
    i loved this game and the original have not encountered The @#$%^'s of hacks that are in modern warfare. Wish the weapons were scoped Then again i just got it maybe later you can look down the scope.
  25. Nov 25, 2010
    While it has nice graphics, poor control and a broken cover system kill this shooter. To make up for the pedestrian AI, the designers gave your enemies dead aim (they can hit you even behind cover while shooting blindly over obstacles) while your automatic weapons spray bullets without hitting anything. The makers wanted to go for the roving "realistic" camera look but it's just annoying and you'll turn it off after the first few minutes. Pretty much meh even for the bargain price they offered on Steam. Expand
  26. Nov 26, 2010
    Big fail.....no story at all, just killing. The game play is bad. I spent $60 for such a damn stupid game.....
    Couldn't believe some people give 10 to this game....
  27. Nov 26, 2010
    This game is a blast. Most of the bad reviews on this game seem to come from complete idiots. You can skip cut scenes (hit enter). you can change your controls if you don't like them. and if you don't install your video card drivers, the graphics might be bad (and should be bad for EVERY game you play).

There are a few things that you should think about before getting this game though. if
    you don't like things that look like they were shot from a reporters camera, then this game isn't for you. It's almost like you are watching some crazy documentary. There is also a fair amount of gore in the game. They cover up some of it with a censor mosaic which to give it that documentary feel.

the game is also pretty short. but multiplayer is fantastic, and extends the life of the game. Someone said the cover system is broken, and this is partly true. to go into more detail, sometimes you take cover and will slip out of cover. It's never been so bad that I died because of it, but it's a little irritating at times. Also, you can adjust your control scheme pretty easily in the options to suit your gamestyle, but if you are used to wasd then you have the basics covered.

The story is also no Homers Odyssey, but it's still fantastic. I don't see how it's "boring" as it's more/better story than 90% of shooters out there today. and last, the graphics are amazing. the guy saying they look like ps2 graphics needs to go back and play ps2 again and maybe install his graphics drivers (or not play it on a 486).
  28. Nov 27, 2010
    I really, really want to love these series. And I do to a degree. I really dug the grainy film like play, but you've got to already have a love for that sort of thing. The story is pretty straight forward, though you never really get an idea of whats truly going on in the grand scheme of things. Just like you wouldn't if you were in their positions. This series could be so much more than it is, and each time they come out with one, its just so close to being fantastic, which makes me come back for more just incase the next one hits it square on the head.

I'd recommend this puppy for those who liked the first one. For the veteran gamers who're more into game play, this may not be for you. But if you enjoy a good, action style story and find this on sale for about $10-$20 (being generous too), I'd go for it.
  29. Dec 18, 2010
    It's done the camera idea so well that it looks like a dog vomited on my screen. The action is alright, the story is fair and the game has enough swearing to last a lifetime.
  30. May 18, 2011
    At a $5 price tag, this game is so worth it. It's on the short side and has no plot whatsoever, but has great non-stop gory action, good selection of different guns, and controlling two nude-crazed lunatics through the streets of Shanghai--just priceless. Lynch is a complete mad man--so much comedy listening to him rant. Add nearly 50 Steam achievements...co-op...and multi-player...what more could you ask for?

WARNING: Whatever you do make sure you enable steadycam before you play this game, otherwise you will vomit in about 5 minutes; although it still won't help you through the cut scenes.
  31. Jan 5, 2011
    This isn't a game for people who think Modern Warfare is the greatest series to ever come out. This is very much a PC game, and it's for people who like genres like pulp and wuxia, and films like Sin City and Watchmen. It's a game in the style of a violent, amateur documentary and it's a blast. A stylistic and over the top, ultra realistic and horribly violent documentary where you get to play the antagonist is really the best way I can think to describe it.

No running, jumping, quickscoping and knifing, cover and actually being able to aim is a must on the highest difficulty levels which provide some decent AI. Utilize your environment, explosive barrels are still useful.

Granted, if you're playing on the easiest setting the game is dead easy, which you know, the whole "easy mode". Be kinda stupid if easy was hard ey. The film grain and shaky camera are for effect, some people dislike the shaking which you can turn off. The graphics are quite decent when you max them out, of course if your system can't handle it and you turn everything off then, well, it's going to look like you've turned everything off.

There's quite a nice selection of guns, more for multiplayer if you get some of the DLC. Not as many people online as there could be due to things like not knowing that Options>Turn Shaking Off exists but still enough for a match. The multiplayer modes too are quite fun, none of this Deathmatch nonsense, here we have a group of robbers attacking a vault, stealing money and gunning their way out through guards. More cash means you can buy better weapons for the next round, which is a nice incentive to level your shotgun at the back of a players head and pull the trigger, looting the money from his corpse.
    Which gives your teammates full authority to waste you, and the person you just killed has now spawned as a guard and is coming back with a vengance.

The game only took me six and a half hours to complete on normal, and that provided a reasonable challenge but slack enough to enjoy the story. And the story is reasonable, not the greatest around, but not "The Russians are attacking!!" which is getting kinda old now. The dialog had it's repetitive moments but on the whole a nice touch to the game. As others have pointed out, the language can get a bit coarse at times, which for mercenaries and criminals actually works.

AI, on the hardest level will aim for the head, flank, and provide covering fire with assault rifles and sniper rifles while their shotgun equipped allies move in to waste you. On normal... Pretty much the same thing, just at a slower and more manageable pace. On easy, well, it's pretty easy. Level design isn't too bad, some of the missions are fairly linear, and some are full on scripted, but MW2 was worse.

tl;dr/dc

If you think jumping for a helicopter, missing and a sergeant grabbing your wrist every 30 seconds is good story, don't buy this game. Don't buy it if you dislike over the shoulder documentary style, over the top violence, or have a dodgy computer. Don't buy it if you like console style games, this isn't one. Buy it if you're looking for a gaming experience unlike any you've seen so far, and are open minded enough to enjoy it for what it is. If you're one of those people, you're going to love it, if not, it's going to be the worst thing you've played since whatever Medal of Honor last came out because it copied CoD. :P
  32. Jan 20, 2011
    I'm sorry but I almost didnt buy this game based on the bad reviews some people gave it.. I love COD and BAttlefield2, this is not either of those games, it is however a fresh approach to video gaming, it is more like playing a movie, or like playing the TV show cops???for a lack of better description...I truly enjoyed this and glad I didnt allow the bad reviews to sway me... If there is a 3rd Id buy it.. Been playing FPS's for over 20 years Since the 1st wolfenstein and doom hit the scenes.. And this is deffinatly in the top 10 and I give it 4 stars just for coming up with a fresh approach to FPS action.. It does take a bit of getting used to, but heck BUY IT!!! you wont be dissapointed if your a true gamer :) Expand
  33. Feb 24, 2011
    Kane and Lynch 2 is probably one of the most bland, repetitive, unrewarding and poorly designed games I have played in a long time (for a blockbuster release).

The way in which the stylised camera work was done (camcorder/CCTV) was cool in theory but after one or two cutscenes it just got incredibly annoying because it was completely overdone and therefore ruined the (already pretty bad)
    cutscenes.

The shooting is boring, repetitive and poorly implemented (which for a shooter game is a disaster). You either have the choice of spraying bullets and hoping to get that lucky head shot or you go for the (fairly rare) 1-shot kill sniper type weapons, either way it still takes way too long to kill the AI enemies. What's worse is that half the time, after emptying half a clip into them, the enemies end up getting back up and running off seemingly unscathed.

The cover system is also terrible. You tend to spend most of the time hidden behind the most solid and out of the way cover possible because if you don't, the enemy can hit you through just about anything, damaging you ridiculously fast and causing you to sit and wait for your health to replenish slowly before you dare pop another couple shots off.

The story.... well..... they jump on a plane at the end after shooting lots of people and the credits roll. That's about the most interesting part of the story, so you try and work out what the other 75% of the game is. And yes, the credits probably account for about 25% of the gameplay time.

Please trust me and avoid at all costs.
  34. Mar 25, 2011
    Gameplay - 6.5 , Graphics - 7.5 , Story - 5.0 , Playing time - 5~10 hours. Singleplayer is boring and short. Multiplayer is ok but no one is playing it, so it's like non-exist.
  35. Sep 6, 2011
    This entire game from start to finish is just outright awful, I recommend that you should look else where if you want to play a solid cover based shooter.
  36. Apr 26, 2011
    This game is good but the shaking camera gets a little bit on my nerves. The story is fantastic, the KI is a little bit stupid and the violence level is very high but this doesnt matter.
  37. Jun 9, 2012
    I really don't get all the hate for this game. I absolutely loved it. I was very comfortable with the length of the story, I thought it was just right. A story is not better because it is longer, that is just insane. The game is very well optimized for PC and looks great. They nailed the style and atmosphere of Shanghai. Co-op is a lot of fun. Online multiplayer is totally dead on PC and online co-op crashes sometimes. I wish there were more save points but it's not a huge deal. Expand
  38. Jun 10, 2011
    Far from perfect, but if you can appreciate what Square Enix was trying to achieve, there can be something good to be seen in Kand & Lynch 2. The games major downfall is its short length and repetitive gameplay.
  39. Oct 19, 2012
    This is far superior to the first game, even though I enjoyed that one too. I agree with many of the reviewers who were critical of the grainy film, shaky camera, and less than stellar AI. However, the story line and the non-stop action made up for the shortfall. Both Kane and Lynch are exceptionally gloomy characters, very similar to Max Payne. It's hard to believe that they could live through so much gun play. I recommend this game highly because it's suitable for players like me who have limited skills; i.e., the game provides enough of a challenge to be entertaining. Expand
  40. Dec 5, 2011
    Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days takes the player (And a friend, in case of co-operative play) through a story that takes both protaganists through a bloody and action movie-like-, but not alltogether unrealistic, shoot-out in modern-day China where they will get caught up in a story of betrayal, corruption and revenge. The game's controls are very fluent, the cover-system works very well, the over-the-shoulder camera is rarely annoying, guns feel right and the game's visuals are simply beautiful desite the gloomy art-work. Co-operative play is where the game truly shines, the AI isn't stupid but sharing the experience with a friend is a lot more fun. There are a few downsides to the game; it is relatively short (You can finish it in about 5 hours time), once you 'die' your teammate has only several seconds to get you back up and usually, that's not enough. Luckily, this is compensated for by the generous usage of checkpoints. The story is also open-ended and the ending could be perceived as an anti-climax as it leaves too many questions unanswered. (This is the point where you'll hope for a sequel!) Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2011
    Pick it up cheap. Multiplayer is dead, but singleplayer is good fun. Not nearly as bad as the reviews stated. Film grain and shakycam can be disabled, so all that whining is useless. It's like the first game, but with better gameplay and shooting controls. I loved it.
  42. Dec 8, 2011
    Okay, I'm not gonna lie; "Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days" is a great looking game but terrible if you play it for even a short second. It's like a film with all the shaky camera and grim environment, but terribly used within the game. The graphics are straight out-dated and gameplay is very linear. Hell, the multiplayer doesn't even get support! How the **** do I play this game?!
  43. Nov 3, 2011
    In order to like this game you need to take it seriously. If you think of it as a game, it is OK. If you try to get into the visceral experience, you will be hyped up on adrenaline and feel like an action movie hero/(antihero). The only way to play it is on hard or extreme, especially with the music turned up loud. I felt like I was in a very real experience where it was me and a friend vs. the whole Chinese mafia/military/police. You just need to go along with what the developers were trying to do. Expand
  44. Mar 3, 2012
    This is the best K&L game, I donno y ppl didn't like it... I was totally happy with the "real-movie-made-on-phonecam" feature, it adds the game more realism, and also - the graphics was cool enough and so on =)
  45. Mar 22, 2012
    it's hard to believe there are so many idiots out there who just can't figure this game out. don't believe the fools who have given this game poor reviews because it is pretty much great in every way. the artwork is beautiful, the graphics are fantastic (though admittedly i don't really enjoy the look of the shaky-cam or the full screen effects but it is easy enough to turn both those things off). the sound design is among the best i've heard in any video game ever. the game-play is fast-paced, target-oriented-shooting, hit detection is spot on and so is the control scheme, i can be about as agile in this game with keyboard and mouse as i am in any first person shooter. also contrary to what some of these morons will try to tell you, the cover system works perfectly fine, it's exactly like rainbow six. the two-man co-op experience is awesome and works on the internet as well as the lan and the multi-player match is the first innovative addition to online shooting matches that i've seen since the invention of the ctf game mode, it's a shame that people are too stupid to take the time to learn how to play it. the storyline is gritty and the characters are all very easy to hate which makes them real. which also makes me see why they did this game in the third person, because you really don't want to put yourself in these guys' shoes and i wouldn't think most people would want their kids getting too into this role either, kane and lynch are **** people. i would even go so far as to say that this game is not suitable for people under 16 or 17, the whole point and concept of this game is rated R for sure. this is also the only 3rd person game that i've really been able to enjoy because it is that well executed and i am eagerly anticipating the next game in this series! the only shortcoming i can think of in this game is that the interface for pc is a bit kludgey, notwithstanding that, i like everything about it. this game goes on greatly discounted sales, frequently throughout the year and that's how i came to pick it up myself but if i had only known i would have surely paid full price for it on launch day. get this game immediately, on sale or not! Expand
  46. Jul 12, 2012
    This game made me literally nauseous to play, and I have to respect that. I don't think it was the camera that did it so much as the characters. I mean really, most games give you a shining good guy protagonist with no moral ambiguity, and then you kill eleventy-thousand mooks, and in the early days of gaming that was all, and in the modern days of gaming they lampshade it by having the villain point out that you killed eleventy-thousand mooks and having the protagonist think about it for all of 10 seconds (this omnipresent throwaway trick is how modern games CREATE MORAL AMBIGUITY and DEMONSTRATE ARTISTIC SENSIBILITY, you see), but with Kane and Lynch you don't get that. You just get two mangy, aggressive **** and a great big mess for them to stumble through, and I like that. There is something fundamentally honest about that even if it isn't "pleasant". Expand
  47. Feb 5, 2012
    Generic shooter but it has + 2 points for atmosphere. The gameplay and ai is bad, but the voice acting and story are pretty good. The atmosphere is spot on and the amateur camera filter is a nice effect. The story is super short, finished the game in 3.8hrs. I just like how much effort the devs put into the atmosphere :)
  48. Jan 25, 2012
    Total Single Player Completion Time: around 4 hours. The latest game in the Kane and Lynch series definitely improves upon the first with better shooting mechanics and a better cover system...but that's not saying much. I died countless times because Lynch either didn't want to get into cover or decided to hide behind the wrong object. Gameplay consists of 95% gunplay and 5% pressing "E" to open doors. It's not varied but it's somewhat enjoyable IF playing the game in co-op. A solo run is incredibly tedious and the A.I. partner is nearly useless. The 4 hour game length is also pitiful and is extended by a couple of multiplayer modes that have NOBODY playing them. It's not a game that's worth full price (not by a long shot) but TRUE fans of the series will enjoy it. Expand
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    Technically it is not satisfying. The control is awkward, and some serious bugs really affect the experience. The length is also a big flaw. If you are very good at shoot, you would complete the entire story in 6 hours. However, I do like this game overall because the style of the graphics is very unique and worth looking. It feels like I am really in China. Of course, I have to tell everyone that now Shanghai is far more beautiful than it looks in the game, the scene is actually more like old Shanghai or other old Chinese cities, but it does remind me of my childhood in China (except the violent part, because my hometown is very peaceful). Expand
  50. Vex
    Mar 25, 2012
    There are lots of negative reviews of this game and there's a good reason for that. Simply put, the gameplay mechanics are abysmal. Cover system is broken most of the time, enemies can hit you from extreme distances but you won't be able to hit them back unless you get real close most of the time. Weapons feel like cheap toys and the combat itself is extremely annoying. The games throws dozens of waves of enemies at you throughout different levels and it gets old real fast. Simply put, as a cover shooter, this game is fundamentally broken and doesn't deserve to be on the store shelves.

Onto the more positive sides of the game: The atmosphere is quite amazing and Shanghai feels realistic and alive. Shaky camera effect coupled with bright neon lights of an Asian city make for a really amazing experience and it often feels like you're watching a Youtube documentary rather than playing a video game. The game is quite gory, the characters are extremely believable and that makes for a very realistic experience. If you're into crime thrillers, you're likely to like this part.

That said, it's a shame that boring gameplay and broken mechanics ruin the massive potential of this game. This game is truly innovative in many aspects and it's a shame that developers didn't fully utilize that potential to create something amazing, instead of creating a 3rd rate bland cover shooter (and a broken one at that).

Even though the game is pretty bad, if the atmosphere and character development are your cup of tea, it's probably worth sitting through. I personally uninstalled it after a couple of hours and couldn't bring myself to finish it, which - again - is a real shame because the game had so much potential. I got it for $3 on a Steam sale and it's not worth paying much more than that.
  51. May 9, 2012
    K&L2 is a third person shooter that takes you to a grim, dark, grimy Shanghai where the the mismatched partners in crime fight for their survival when relation with the Chinese underworld breaks down. It's made for two players and this is where the game shines. The visual style of the game is rather uncommon - you watch from a third person perspective, but the camera movement, film grain and such are done to give it a feel of watching a movie. While many dislike it, I find that it adds a nice, realistic mood and helps avoid one of the problems of third person shooters: that the same guy is doing the same thing in the corner of the screen for the entire game.

The movie-feel also comes out in the firefights - the characters will yell and scream at each other and it does a lot for the combat. Another good feature here is a developed cover system, that makes two guys shooting at each other look more like an action movie than a bunny hopping idiot-fest. The cover system sometimes gets annoying when the character decides to take cover behind something else than what you expected, but it's fairly rare when you get used to the system.

The story is very grim, fairly realistic and more akin to a movie than a game (there is no Russian uranium, no stereotype middle-eastern or south-American dictators that need American lead or such) and you get the feel that the game is based on the story rather than the story being based on the game. The game is best for two players, and the highest difficulty was a cool challenge for me and the friend I played it with. The game won't last long though, but there is plenty of variation for the relatively short duration - I didn't manage to get tired of any of the things the game wanted me to do, even at second play-through. Definitely worth playing through, but make sure to get hold of a friend.
  52. Jun 1, 2012
    If only story could define a game instead of controls. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog days is a mess of crime gaming put in with a shaky camera, bad controls but fun game play and interesting storyline. If you didn't play the original Kane and Lynch, it was about two crooked crime gangsters who are betrayed by their leaders and forced to recover an amount of money for the clan. The first game does not land on my positive side as the story was less good written and the controls destroyed every fun aspect of the game. This game instead fixes it's controls but only slightly and many times I find myself slipping up and messing my concentration. Dog Days tells the tale after Dead Men in which now the Schizophrenic psychopath James Seth Lynch now living in the slums of Shanghai with his new lover Xiu. Now working for a criminal named Glazer, Lynch invites his old pal Kane to come to Shanghai and help him with a weapons trade. Things go to hell as the duo accidentally kill the daughter of a corrupt government official and are targeted by many gangsters and crooks. The story is more enjoyable as it reminds you of an old time crime movie. I have to say though as the whole game rather falls short and the ending had me cursing wildly with it's stupid and idiotic cliffhanger. Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days is not a great game and was never expected to be. I can appreciate it's try to be a thrilling action shooter but fails badly but measures up to a short game that will probably take a week to finish. Expand
  53. Jun 2, 2012
    One of the underrated franchises in my opinion, the sequel improves in terms of the shooting mechanics while drops the bar in storytelling. This time you play as Lynch, and oddly, there's a problem with him: he doesn't have the problems he had in the first part. He used to be a medicated psychopath, falling into killing sprees at times, but now he's calm and even got a chinese girlfriend. Kane, who arrives to help him in a heist, also lost his gruesome charm: now hairy, bearded and without his nose patch which made his appearance memorable, he doesn't have an impact on the story at all. In the original, they were Dead Men, a Traitor and a Psycho in cool suits, two awesome anti-heroes, and now they're just 2 aging men in the dirty suburbs of Shanghai. The new visual style, mimicking the Youtube-like amateur camera, hides the outdated graphics and looks great, action is gory and fast, but the problem is that the game's no longer story-driven. They even haven't shed almost any light on what happened to Kane's daughter, Jenny. (There's more about that in the official comic tie-in, but why not in the game??) And to make it worse, the second half of the game gets just plain boring, with endless waves of asian mobsters to kill, with even the characters wondering "How many more are there?" Another thing that made me sad was lack of soundtrack. Instead of memorable tunes by Jesper Kyd, it's just got some featureless ambient. Speaking about multiplayer, it has an interesting concept, but lacks players. To sum up, basically it's a mediocre gory shooter with unusual multiplayer modes. I'd give it a 5, but I'm a fan of the series and characters in particular since the first game, so I still enjoyed it, and am hoping for the third part that'd note the mistakes of its predecessors. Besides, IO's now got a brand new engine, so there is hope. Expand
  54. Jul 19, 2013
    I can understand the hate for this game, because the gameplay is mediocre at best. But it has a really gritty and catching atmosphere. It shows that once you get into the life of crime, there is no way back. It's very-very dark and depressing, and that's why I think it's really special creation from IO interactive.
  55. Oct 19, 2012
    I had a look at the demo on Steam,its great fun.I don't know if its worth a full price tag after the reviews I have read its only 3-4 hours long,but if I can get it in the sale i will be buying it,even though there are a few glitches and the cover system isn't the most responsive.I will give it a 7 for pure atmosphere and excitement.What a shame it isn't longer and a bit more polished.
  56. Dec 11, 2012
    Duck Hunt 3D directed by Quentin Tarantino. Gameplay is generic cover-based shooting with bloody screens and stupid AI. Story has great potential but is cut off abruptly with no sequel (thankfully) in sight. Completely average and forgettable.
  57. Nov 19, 2012
    I miss this kind of games, its no about the gameplay , graphics, the amount of missions or the amount of characters or weapons,is to represent the life of its respective theme , this game represents the risks to be a mob and how you lose all the people at you´re enviroment, this game is a nice example of how has to be the story of two poor bastards, not all is
  58. Dec 15, 2012
    Terrible, TERRIBLE game. Although graphics are nice and I salute the effort it must have taken to emulate the handy cam, this game is just half baked. The cover system is broken but above all, the aiming system is awful. You can unload clips on an enemy that is 5 feet away and spray your bullets all over without a single hit. However, the enemies have dead aim at 500 feet, killing you almost instantly and they can take 4-5 bullets in the head without dying. They can also shoot you accurately hitting 90% of their shots while blind shooting from cover. And I played on easy... You survive between 5 and 30 seconds and then restart over and over again until you get so frustrated that you just dump the stupid game. Kane & Lynch? Dead men for sure! Expand
  59. Dec 2, 2013
    Ta gra jest fenomenalną strzelanką. Całość jest tak chora, że już chyba bardziej się nie da. Grafika odbiega od najlepszych standardów (całość jest jak gdyby kręcona kamerą VHS z wolnej ręki) ale nie o to tutaj chodzi, bo strzelanina jest zwyczajnie wyborna. Daję tej grze 10 bo oceniam grywalność i guzik mnie obchodzi wszystko to co w tej grze działa źle...
  60. Dec 15, 2013
    Very underrated series. I love the feeling, setting, sound and characters of Kane & Lynch. Even though the gameplay is not the greatest, it is still worth playing just for those. It is very dark, depressing and the youtube like format of the grainy camera fits perfectly. Imo it is worth buying just for the menu screen! Best menu screens ever!
    Some of the scenes in the game also feel very
    unsettling thanks to the music design. Especially a shootout early in the game where police sirens is mixed into the sound and music makes for a very nice, hopeless and unsettling feeling.

I would love for Rockstar to get involved in Kane & Lynch. It would fit their style perfectly. If they can just keep the feeling but polish up the gameplay it could be truly amazing.
  61. May 1, 2013
    Kane & Lynch 2 is what the first game should have been. I played the first Kane & Lynch all the way to its conclusion and knew what the developers were going for, but they never really hit the high notes with their first effort. Kane & Lynch 2 is completely different in that respect as this game is raw, brutal and very violent...

It still has a host of missed opportunities gameplay wise
    regarding controls that could have been tighter; the cover mechanic work but only just and the weapons; while most feel good, there are a few that don't really feel under powered. The game also suffers from a very short story mode that severely hampers the overall product on offer.

The positives do make up for the negatives above in some respect. The story maybe short but what we have is two desperate men fighting their way out of China's criminal underbelly. From the first mission where Lynch needs to 'talk to someone’; the whole scene is turned on its head in seconds. What entails is a desperate struggle for survival for our two main men. Although the quality of dialogue varies it is still nice to hear Kane and Lynch communicate with one another. Lynch, who has deep lying mental problems, can be heard talking to himself more frequently over the course of the game. Kane tells him to pull it together has he knows what a loose cannon he can be but this fuels Lynch even more. Also, when the s**t does hit the fan, the characters sound like they are clearly fuelled by adrenaline when talking... This is a very nice touch and in some fire fights, it adds momentum to the scene. Graphically, this is where the game stands out to me! The handheld video effect is amazing and adds the grit that this story needs for player immersion. When you see naked people or shoot someone in the head, the camera goes blocky just on the 18+ parts. The brutality of the killings is better overall and I was pretty bored with other games that had gratified enemy’s heads exploding up walls. With this kind of game, this sort of graphical execution is great and differentiates it from the pack.

There is other stand out moments in the game but I wanted to just mention Arcade mode and multiplayer. On PC the multiplayer is dead which is a shame has the modes on offer where great and a lot of fun to play. However, if you and your friends have this game, you can do coop through arcade mode and story mode using HAMACHI (program that lets you connect to friends over the internet but tells the game you are playing it through LAN). Arcade mode is fragile alliance which is a great and it will keep you busy for a while. It's a bank heist with 8 other players, AI or friends and you; the mission? To escape with the money but friends can turn on you at any point in the level. It’s nice being on edge all game as an alliance in one round can be forged by helping a team mate out if they are caught in a sticky situation, however; due to the nature of the levels you can sometimes shoot a heist member accidently meaning you are labelled a traitor for the rest of the round. It is a stand out feature but is lacking further development as the 7 levels can be completed in around 5 hours. The only drawback to such a feature is the guns that you unlock as you gain new ranks.

In conclusion it is a package that should have been developed better as a single player game with the multiplayer additions adding weight to the product. Instead, what the game has is a under developed single player and good foundations for multiplayer. Combined it is a game that would be a good pick up from the bargain bin for under a tenner given that the online multiplayer is dead. The single player game is worth a run through twice if you like collecting achievements but a once through is suffice. I do like Kane and Lynch 2 I just wish the single player had a few more chapters and because of this, it gets a good 7/10.
  62. Jun 26, 2013
    The standard 3rdPS deal with a dark and nihilistic tone. The shooting is a bit inaccurate at times (especially when using lower tier weapons such as SMGs and some of the weaker Chinese pistols) but it helps add to the feeling of chaos that runs throughout. Enemies come at you in droves and the AI is reminiscent of FEAR, swarming you and generally displaying a lot of aggression (when the AI doesn't fudge up.) The clunky shakycam can get a bit tiring on the eyes but you can turn it off. Visual design is awesome and the environments are in equal parts rich and dank. The sound is probably the best I've heard in a game, the gunfire is deafening and the timbre changes according to the environment.

This is meat and potatoes action gaming, just killing upon killing upon killing. Whilst the gameplay is not super polished or innovative, it draws you into the world in a way that few games do.

Biggest problems are it's short length (4/5 hours) and the fact that it crashes like there's no tomorrow. It's going cheap on Steam, and at it's current price it is certainly worth your time and a lot cheaper than going to the cinema.
  63. Jul 4, 2013
    This game features one of the best engine-rendered establishing sequences ever (the very first 15 seconds of waiting for kane in the shanghai street). Unfortunately it's all downhill from then on... this game is seriously boring and even sometimes mesmerizing color palettes can't salvage the mediocre and BADLY REPETITIVE combat.
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    If you don't like this game because of the camera type (Which I like) you clearly haven't visited the settings menu, it can be turned off. Apart from the dodgy camera and the short length, Kane & Lynch 2 doesn't deserve half the abuse it receives. The gritty realistic setting makes the gameplay, missions and characters quite original. It's good to see a game willing to dangle it's feet into the unknown instead of copying and pasting other successful games for a cheap buck. Admittedly, this game isn't perfect, but I'd say it's a game worth completing, at least play the game before you shove your head up Angry Joe's ass and label this game as; "ThE wurst game ever lol xd". Expand
  65. Nov 23, 2013
    Great game !
    Works even on weak PC's even thought it has pretty nice graphics .
    Story is better then on Dead Man and cover system was fixed *Was impossible to take cover normally in Dead Man*
    Actually this part is also funnier .
    Co-op if really fun .

But IO interactive has messed up with Multiplayer part of the game
  66. May 18, 2011

1. Dec 25, 2010
    A massive upgrade on the first game, but don't blame us if you get a bit tired of shooting people in the face. [Issue#244, p.106]
  2. The best advice i can give is to trust your own instincts: even after reading this, if the concept and setting still appeal to you, definitely give it a chance. Just don't expect to feel the same way when it's over.
  3. Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is an interesting beast because it really shouldn't exist. Outside of a unique art style it brings nothing new to the genre and does little to improve over the original game, which I might add, was far from a good game.