6.6

1. Jun 19, 2017
    I know you want play a cool RPG game. But this one, should be good in 2012 not in 2k17. Go better play some Dragon Age or Witcher, planty of any other RPG. This on is WoW like graphics. Really large world. HUGE! Lot a side-quests, thats make u run 5 times same spot. Go find something another. Really dude
  2. Apr 19, 2017
    This game is very underrated because most of the people did not give it a proper chance. And most of them keeps comparing it to other big RPGs like Skyrim. The game lost because it was released a few months after the release of Skyrim and everyone was just playing Skyrim and using mods and stuff.

This game is more like a SinglePlayer MMORPG. Its massive with a big map and lots of stuff like side quests and things to collect and uncover. The story is alright, The world is so beautiful and colorful. The gameplay is really nice you have some good solid combat with lots of moves and abilitys and you wont get bored anytime soon. Some people complain about the voice acting but its not that bad to be honest. Its a lot better than the games we are getting today like the trash DA:Inquisition and such.

Don't listen to everyone telling you that this is bad game because its not and its probably very cheap now. Pick it up and give it a chance. Don't give up after a few hours because the game is very big and it will only get better.
  3. Rem
    Mar 20, 2017
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had the tools to create a truly unique rpg. With highly revered members involved in its development, Reckoning manages to be far from bad, but it commits a sin of a similar magnitude, it's boring. It's boring in its world design, characters, lore, and eventually its combat. It makes solid first impressions but ultimately overstays its welcome by a long shot.Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had the tools to create a truly unique rpg. With highly revered members involved in its development, Reckoning manages to be far from bad, but it commits a sin of a similar magnitude, it's boring. It's boring in its world design, characters, lore, and eventually its combat. It makes solid first impressions but ultimately overstays its welcome by a long shot.

The plot isn't terrible, and instead has a good setup. You're resurrected from the dead and discover you're fateless in a world bounded by fate trapped in the middle of a war between mortals and evil immortals named the Tuatha. Beyond that, the story tries desperately hard to fall back on the lore these developers have created and it becomes a pitfall. The crazy amount of jargon the game requires you to remember makes it cumbersome to connect the story threads together. You'll be scratching your head as you hear "House of Ballads, Winter Fae, Mel Senshir, and The Great Cycle for the nth time. The biggest problem with the storytelling is that its always exposition heavy. Rather than seizing the opportunity and exploring the amount of lore they crafted for this universe, the characters that inhabit it tell rather than show. They lack interesting depth, most of them feeling outright boring. It doesn't help that most of them are assigned one character trait and even that's a stretch. The people that inhabit this universe exist solely for the purpose of either spewing something you already knew/could infer or giving you quests. By God, the amount of quests in this game is absolutely massive, so much so that it's a negative. It's not so much the amount, but rather how much of it is mundane and is a variant of either a "go here fetch/kill this" sort of quest. Even the people handing you the quests all feel the same. You accept quests not to learn more, but only to rid the exclamation point from your map and to gain some exp.

The saving grace of this game is strangely the combat, which is great for an RPG. It's a satisfying blend of number crunching and skill for the first dozen or so hours. Building your character is also enjoyable, with the mix of skill trees, abilities divided among three classes, and destinies that you choose and develop that provide passive bonuses. It's significantly better and instantly more enjoyable than most open world RPGs because of how responsive and fluid it is and how you always feel the impact of your strikes. Despite this, the combat and skill system eventually fizzle out towards the end because enemies don't quite scale to your level as you progress, ultimately making the game laughably easy towards the end. Creating your own weapons and gear is remarkable, giving use to most items in the world and the ability to name your own gear is a nice bonus. Loot is constant and while a good amount of them you just sort to the junk pile, the variety of weapons ensures that you can tinker with any playstyle you desire, so far as to providing stealth as a valid option at times, which works well enough. Wanna be a stealth mage? A pure warrior? All three? It's up to you, and it's refreshing and why I kept pushing through the end despite any setbacks. Other than that, gameplay is relegated to exploration and talking to people the former of which is spent in fairly open MMO like zones peppered with enemies and loot and the latter being drowned in exposition and a dialogue wheel that has little effect on the outcome. The former is much enjoyable, but outside of combat, the game offers nothing else to keep your interest for very long.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on the visual end, is a decent looking game. While the textures and geometric detail are nothing to marvel at, the color palette and art style is striking, for the first several areas. Eventually the overly WOW inspired look becomes monotonous, and its not until near the end does the setting shift enough to ease your eyes of the overstaying colorful palette. The music is even more forgettable, consisting of terribly vanilla RPG tracks that is serviceable at best. One good note I can point out is that Kingdoms of Amalur is generally bug free, keeping the experience as polished as possible and it runs like butter, a nice bonus.

If I told you that you can easily spend over 60 hours in this game, you might imagine a thoroughly engaging game throughout, but truth be told, a good chunk of that time was spent in autopilot, breezing through battles and skipping every piece of dialogue after the 20 hour mark. There is obvious love and hard work put into this project, but Kingdom of Amalur's main weaknesses of poor writing and the general averageness of everything else besides the combat ultimately keeps the experience from becoming anything more than vanilla. It might not be bad, but it sure can be boring.
  4. Jan 11, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. we need surpport korea language. today 2017 year.
    I hope we can build up mutual trust through communications like this.
    we cordially ask you to think again before filing an official complaint report.
  5. Dec 11, 2016
    i love this game the combat is very fun.

still looks great in 4k max out on nvidia drivers for enchance games graphics. :)

i want the second game !! xD
  6. Dec 11, 2016
    I simply loved this game in a way i cannot explain. Don't know exactly what got me, but i had really fun with this, i remember avoiding playing it afraid of finishing it too fast.
  7. Dec 2, 2016
    Feels like single player wow with different mechanic and RPG elements, that is all. Story is ok but kind of "cliche". Game is too easy on hardest difficulty so it does not provide enough satisfaction.
  8. Sep 27, 2016
    This is the absolute worst game I have played so far in my life. I want to be entirely clear: I got this game as a gift from a friend, and I really WANTED to like it. I went in with optimism, prepared to look on the bright side and try to see whatever my friend saw in this game that she liked. But I found absolutely nothing of any redeeming quality whatsoever; This is one of the few gamesThis is the absolute worst game I have played so far in my life. I want to be entirely clear: I got this game as a gift from a friend, and I really WANTED to like it. I went in with optimism, prepared to look on the bright side and try to see whatever my friend saw in this game that she liked. But I found absolutely nothing of any redeeming quality whatsoever; This is one of the few games where I absolutely DREADED having to play it - and after I stopped playing, I would literally have more fun sitting in my chair, doing nothing, than I had playing the game that session.

"Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning" is a tiresome slog of a game. It's colours are so bright and garish that it never failed to give me a headache. Every environment was essentially a room or a hallway, with some trees and water, surrounded on all sides by blatantly artificial impassable cliff faces. Every environment was like that, a field, or a swamp, or a forest, sunken into some kind of canyon, for no goddamn reason but to railroad the player, and to make sure they can only go in the direction that the devs point them. It looks ugly and incompetent, and reeks of the worst fantasy-flavoured corridor shooters that the mid-to-late aughts could spit out.

The NPCs are bland, boring and empty, and come equipped with obnoxious, bright red exclamation points that hover over their heads to single them out as quest-givers, shattering any immersion the player could have had, and singing from the hilltops KoA:R's legacy as a failed MMORPG, repackaged as a single player game. The combat is dull and terribly easy; I was able to get through it by literally just mashing the attack button and nothing else through every random encounter - encounters, by the way, with the same three cookie-cutter enemies, repeated ad nauseam through the whole length of the game.

The story and lore and writing is patched together out of the same generic, warmed-over Tolkienisms and power fantasies that plague the rest of the fantasy genre, coupled with some pseudo-philosophical tripe about the player character being able to "choose their own destiny" and being "free from the shackles of fate." Why? Don't ask why. The game holds no answer for you; The only conceivable answer is simply because you are the player character, and the player character has to have super powers, right?

I can't stress this enough: I can see absolutely no reason why any person on this sordid Earth would ever, ever enjoy "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning." Please take my advice, that no matter what you enjoy, or what kind of person you are, and no matter how masochistic your tendencies, there is absolutely no reason to ever purchase this game. It has nothing for you. You deserve **** better.
  9. Aug 31, 2016
    Подача истории, мир персонажи, конечно хорошо сделаны, но боёвка, прогоны по карте, сбор предметов и так далее, не очень. Как будто специально затягивают что бегать туда-сюда подольше. Вообще как-то не тянет возвращаться.
  10. Jun 7, 2016
    Around 20 Review from so called professional critics that seem to have been purchased to give a high critic meta score but the Avg user score is far more honest.

Utterly generic, quite tedious and felt like it was a long time out of date even at launch. Not the worst game in the world as it works and has no bug but certainly one of the most tedious.
  11. May 12, 2016
    A lot of users compare this game to Skyrim, when really it is more like a single-player mix of Torchlight II and Guild Wars 2. Tons of missions, deep crafting, combo-friendly combat, a huge game-world and genuinely interesting lore means a lot of time can be spent in Amalur.

Reckoning is rather like a single-player MMO, if that makes any sense. Looting, crafting and leveling are the primary attractions. There is a ton of loot; putting points into the “detect hidden” skill reveals secret rooms and passageways that have even more loot. You'll want to loot as much as you can, even armor sets that you won't use – put points into blacksmithing, disassemble the armor and weapons you don't want to get the parts, and craft something truly epic. Leveling up provides new abilities, new special moves for weapons. At the end of each leveling session, you get to choose a “Fate Card” with special bonuses. Fate Cards are not class-specific, meaning you can use them to create a warrior mage who equips heavy armor, or an archer can wield heavy weapons, or a thief / rogue who also has some magic. There are dozens of hybrid “Fate Cards.” And if you're not happy with how your build has turned out, visit a Fateweaver to “Remix your Fate” and reset your build so you can level up again with your existing points.

The world is huge. There are a lot of places to explore with side-missions hidden everywhere. The graphics are 2012 era DirectX 9: Colorful, bright, and occasionally low-res. The general comic-book style of the artwork hides some graphical shortcomings. And on the plus side, if you have a less-than-stellar gaming PC, the game will probably run just fine. (Back in the day, I ran it on a 1GB Radeon 6670 without issues). The soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope catches the ambiance nicely. The voice acting is generally good (though your hero is silent, like in Dragon Age Origins).

Not everything is excellent, unfortunately. Combat flows well, encouraging the use of different moves. Despite the many different skills and abilities at my disposal, once I found a way to dispose of mobs, I just stuck to that, and never really tried to change up my attacks. I won't say combat is easy – if you go into an area under-leveled, you'll die fast (even with potions). But once you're comfortable in the system, combat becomes just another chore. Fetch quests are repetitive. All exploration is done on foot – no horses. The dungeons are NOT copy / pasted; there's a lot of variety here. But the missions that use the dungeon and cave levels tend to follow similar patterns. If you try to do a completionist run of Reckoning, you'll need a titanic level of patience and dedication. Inventory management, frankly, stinks. Oh, and jumping. You can't jump, except at prescribed places (“press F to jump”).

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a great game if you love messing about in an open world while worrying about plot later. If you're looking for a go-anywhere, do-anything adventure (with the freedom to jump wherever you want), you'll probably be happier with Skyrim. Or online with friends in Guild Wars 2. Sometimes, though, a solitary, easy grind for loot is exactly what you want - and exactly what Reckoning provides.

On DLC:
    The Weapons and Armor DLC provides three complete weapons sets that are accessible at the start of the game. While great to have, the things you craft will quickly surpass them in quality and effectiveness.

The Teeth of Naros and The Legend of Dead Kel are both large additions to an already massive game. Each provides a new campaign and entirely new areas to explore. Naros in particular is a great piece of DLC. Both have a lot of content in an industry where content-laden DLC are rare. Definitely worth it to get both.

Notes:
    An EA account is NOT required. Though the game asks for an EA login on startup, you can simply click the X in the corner to skip the login. The game will play and save normally.

The company that developed Reckoning, 38 Studios, went bankrupt in 2013. The only support for the game is what you will find when trawling the forums.
  12. Dec 24, 2015
    This game is a decent hack'n'slasher with a decent story.

There character building is good enough to continue playing without getting bored.

They call this a role-playing game, but it's actually a hack'n'slasher power-gaming one with a linear story.

I don't think you should pay any more than 10$ for the complete game.
  13. Nov 16, 2015
    I wanted to like this game more, the multi class system, the genuinely original plot, generally fun combat, all are absolutely smothered underneath a thick layer of grind and mostly terrible side quests. I feel like a streamlined approach would have made this a much better game, with almost none of the side quests and more time spent with the core characters. I love the New way that elvesI wanted to like this game more, the multi class system, the genuinely original plot, generally fun combat, all are absolutely smothered underneath a thick layer of grind and mostly terrible side quests. I feel like a streamlined approach would have made this a much better game, with almost none of the side quests and more time spent with the core characters. I love the New way that elves and immortal races are put forward, but feel like all the great ideas were just ground into boring dust with respawning enemies and a pretty poor interface and map for the multi quest style. Combat got very tedious, and while counterattack and blocking fishing felt nice, a lot of the combat got too clustered and messy to actually pull any smooth combos off, as you are far to easily interrupted, and enemy casters are literally the most frustrating thing i have ever seen in a video game. It mostly boils down to a button mash. I felt damage math was too complex, as I'd land a flurry of attacks for essentially no damage, only to have the next flurry take off eighty percent of a monster's life, so the damage system needed simplifying or better ways to communicate damage. Crafting was mostly junk, and the stealth is absolutely garbage. Overall, i don't think this one is worth playing, because while there were two excellent boss battles and a nice little story, it takes far too long to tell it and by the end, you simply won't care. I put fifty hours in, beat the last boss, and uninstalled it immediately. Expand
  14. Oct 25, 2015
    This is a great game with fun and fast-paced combat in a vibrant world with excellent loot and character models. I enhanced the graphics with a program and made some other minor tweaks but, overall, enjoyable game. I recommend it.
  15. Jun 14, 2015
    What a trainwreck.
    Basically, it's a MMO with a stripped down multiplayer elements. Every single aspect of this game assaults you with its generic MMO pattern. Story, characters, models, inventory, character development, levels, dungeons, crafting, graphics, music. Every single thing here belongs to MMO. God dammit, even reagents have that wowish glow on them.
    This is why this game is so
    What a trainwreck.
    This is why this game is so ultimately boring and offers absolutely nothing beyond the first few hours. Nothing will change just after you leave an introductory area and tutorial. Only numbers will go higher, and you will be stuck doing the same quest all the time in MMO dungeons (corridor - arena with enemies - corridor - boss encounter - grab loot - repeat). The world design, its story, characters are your typical MMO setting you don't give a single crap about. Every single quest is "gather X", "kill Y", "go to place Z and discover it's an ambush and fight boss". Your character development and equipment pacing go exactly along MMO pattern. The overgrown environment doesn't leave any field for speculations.
    Truth to be told, Kingdoms of Amalur shows how every single post-wow MMO would look like played in single-player mode. A boring shell with no real substance to it, because the only strength of MMO games lies in the multi-player element. Kingdoms would be your typical, generic MMO that went F2P after few months since its release with a really small player-base playing it because their friends play it. They would play it not because Kingdoms were good, they would play it because they can spend their time with their friends. If not Kingdoms, it could be any other MMO title, really.
    The most blistering thing is that you can literally run your way through after few main quests to the end, ignoring every single thing, to encounter the boss fight that is a poor QTE cut-scene.
    I bought it for like 2€, so I can't be mad I lost my money. It's fun for a little while, until you see the obvious: it's a single player MMO. It's a good thing people behind it went bancrupt.
  16. Apr 11, 2015
    Basically plays and feels like a game aomed at juveniles.
    Repetitive, button mashing combat = thoughtless gameplay.
    Cartoonish graphics. Had potential, but took a serious misstep during production. If they had made a more mature world, with a further flashed out, strategic, combat system - then 38 Studios could have had something special. As it is - it's not worth the time investment
    Basically plays and feels like a game aomed at juveniles.
    Repetitive, button mashing combat = thoughtless gameplay.
    Cartoonish graphics.
    Had potential, but took a serious misstep during production.
    As it is - it's not worth the time investment - or the money.
    3 out of ten for depth of world.
  17. Feb 20, 2015
    Platform: EA's Origin :(
    PROS: + Oversaturated colors look really pretty + Combat can be rewarding with a controller (some skills make it dumb, though)
    Platform: EA's Origin :(
    CONS: - Story so hollow the best thing about it is the "skip" button - The "over-levelling" problem in which monster levels are permanently set when you enter a new area is obnoxious: you have to be careful not to "discover" new locations too soon or monsters will be too weak when you return - Really only one subquest that repeats ad-nauseam - About 10 monsters which also repeat ad-nauseam, they get more health but don't even bother with reskins

Starts fun with good character skill progression, but once you master the good skills you are in a hurry to end the game (I always seem to be ready to finish about with about 4-6hr main questline still remaining) . In other words, there isn't consistent interest throughout the game, the repeating side quest is a rehash of "go to location X and kill/interact with Y" and the main quest is barely different: the main quest is as thin on reasons to go to new locations as the side quests are. At the end you'll be thinking, ok it's a new continent, but so what? Enemies, quests, abilities and shops are all the same...

On the other hand, some of the individual game mechanics stay solid the entire game--don't try combat without a controller, though. It is doable but not actually fun.
  18. Jan 16, 2015
    For me this game has all the makings of being something truly brilliant, however while having so much content is great it becomes quite repetitive and similar after a while.
    The combat is solid, good graphics and a strong story.

Any fan of RPG's and the MMORPG genre will get a kick out of this.
  19. Dec 15, 2014
    The combat is heaven. The graphics are so bright and relaxing, they are some of my favorite ever. The voice acting is pretty good, better than fallout, worse than skyrim. I like the story and I like the faction quests. The problems are Mainly the music and the camera, but those are noticeable too often. It's a great game.
  20. Dec 15, 2014
    This game is cack. Save your money.

Graphics are dreadful, key rebinds DO NOT WORK, the game is so buggy, combat is without tactics - just mash the mouse button. Very poor indeed.

This game says more about the corrupt professional reviews than most. It could not, ever, ever, be considered a "10 out of 10" or "100 out of 100" game.
  21. Nov 27, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing this game and actually continue to a harder mode. Graphics are so incredible and the story is excellent. There's so much to do and weapons to collect through out the game. It's money well spent. Gave it a 10 since it delivers and met my expectations like the previous installment.
  22. Oct 22, 2014
    Reckoning is a game that took me by surprise. Went into this game expecting very little and I was pleasantly surprised. This might be one of the most beautiful games I've played in a while.
  23. Oct 19, 2014
    Pros:
    1. This is a long game, probably the longest RPG ive ever played at 100+ hours with the DLC (i bought as a package on steam)
    2. Good world for such a large game, nice voice acting, face animations and the towns do feel lived in. 3. heaps of enemies, loot and quests. wonderful range of ways to craft items, one fo the best crafting mechanics out there. Cons:- 1. the game

Cons:-

1. the game is not well balanced, on hard, the second half of the game is a stroll. loot became redundant once you max blacksmithing, the items you create are few levels more powerful than legendary items.

2. quests are tedious, most if not all the quests are about fetching smoething or killing someone. pair this with the game being too easy, a lot of quests becomes very tedious.

3. story is almost non-existant, nothing really happens, even if it does you dont care about the character.

i would say that this game offers great value, you can kill a lot of things, loot a lot of stuff and have plenty of quests. Sadly this great value diminishes or dilutes the gameplay, its like drinking very cheap coffee during an event. you dont really like it, but it offers something to help you stay awake
  24. Oct 10, 2014
    This game deserves *way* more than an 81 metascore, and the User Score of 6.5 makes utterly no sense to me. It should be a 91 metascore, and maybe an ~8.5-ish User Score. This game is simply amazing. With third person combat like Fable, Customization as good a Skyrim, and a story that is just awesome. It's stunning that this game hasn't gotten much attention, because it should be up thereThis game deserves *way* more than an 81 metascore, and the User Score of 6.5 makes utterly no sense to me. It should be a 91 metascore, and maybe an ~8.5-ish User Score. This game is simply amazing. With third person combat like Fable, Customization as good a Skyrim, and a story that is just awesome. It's stunning that this game hasn't gotten much attention, because it should be up there in popularity with Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Fable, etc. etc. All said and done, this game is worth whatever price it is for you right now, because you will have a great time with this game, hands down. So why are you still reading this silly review? Go get em'! Expand
  25. Sep 20, 2014
    This isn't a terrible game. I really liked the character creation/development; it feels open and let's you mix and make the character you want to play. -- However, there are some downsides. Yes, the graphics and acting are kinda low for a game this recent. The story is interesting but not gripping. The side-quests are, well, side-quests. -- It's the combat that get's me. Slow reaction toThis isn't a terrible game. I really liked the character creation/development; it feels open and let's you mix and make the character you want to play. -- However, there are some downsides. Yes, the graphics and acting are kinda low for a game this recent. The story is interesting but not gripping. The side-quests are, well, side-quests. -- It's the combat that get's me. Slow reaction to commands, unresponsive, too many uninteruptible, undodgeble things. You will burn through potions like water. There are fights that will unload on you no matter how much you try to evade. The combat is pretty, fun animations, cool executions, but that's about it. I really don't think I can finish this one. I'm tired of being mad at the control. Expand
  26. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is very fun at first... you'll probably wonder why the user score is quite low. It has very few bugs, especially for being such a massive game, it has a ton of items and a ton of customization. Your choices have some impact on the story, which is nice. It's kind of like Skyrim meets Darksiders without the puzzle elements. There's tons of dialogue, and the story is interesting.This game is very fun at first... you'll probably wonder why the user score is quite low. It has very few bugs, especially for being such a massive game, it has a ton of items and a ton of customization. Your choices have some impact on the story, which is nice. It's kind of like Skyrim meets Darksiders without the puzzle elements. There's tons of dialogue, and the story is interesting. The combat is fantastic. So why am I giving this a 6? When I was about 30% finished with the game, boredom hit me like a freight train.

This game is massive. You can easily get 150, maybe even 200 hours out of the game on your first go through. The problem isn't the breadth, it's the depth. There are very, very few enemy designs. You will see the same 6-7 enemy designs in almost every zone. They arn't even recolored. There's only so many times that I can fight "Giant Spider" and "Venomspitter" while suspending disbelief. These two in particularly are nasty offenders... they're even in the DLC zones. Going into a new zone starts to lose its novelty when you see the exact same boggarts, red legion bandits, threshes, and giant spiders as you saw in the last 5 zones. They could have at LEAST recolored them or changed some proportions.

The zones are also fairly unimpressive. The camera is oriented towards the ground, in kind of a second-person view, so you don't see the sky much (which is a good thing because it's not visually impressive). Many zones look exactly the same. There are a few exceptions, such as the Sidhe, but you're left wondering why the 10 forest zones weren't merged into one.

The game is extremely easy. I'm playing on hard and havn't come close to dying. I havn't felt threatened by any mob so far... if anything becomes remotely challenging, you can activate fate mode and do double damage while slowing down time.

You can craft gear that's drastically better than anything that drops at your level. You can easily max blacksmithing and sagecrafting at level 20 and make greens that are better than the epics you find. this only makes the game even easier, although it's easy enough just using gear you find. To make matters worse, you can max out blacksmithing and sagecrafting, make what you want, then reset your talent points and put those into other things. You don't really need gold other than training, so that's never an issue.

The talent trees have major problems. You end up having to waste points in specializations for weapons you don't even use just to advance to higher tiers. Some talents make earlier actives utterly pointless (looking at you, archer multi-shot). Why do I need to waste points in Faeblades when I just want to use daggers?

TLDR, this game could have been a masterpiece if they had invested more time in fleshing out the individual features. It's like they had one team that did everything... they worked on creatures, got bored, worked on environment, got bored, and then released the game when they were done. Or they just hired one person to do the monsters (the diversity is THAT bad).
  27. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a pretty nice RPG with lots of content/quests and a decent size world. Graphics are ok, a little more on the colorful side and in my opinion almost cartoonish. It's definitely not as good as Skyrim when it comes to dialogs, details and atmosphere but i do like the combat and controls, lots of fun and action. If you're looking for an action RPG that can keep you busy (I got about 60This is a pretty nice RPG with lots of content/quests and a decent size world. Graphics are ok, a little more on the colorful side and in my opinion almost cartoonish. It's definitely not as good as Skyrim when it comes to dialogs, details and atmosphere but i do like the combat and controls, lots of fun and action. If you're looking for an action RPG that can keep you busy (I got about 60 hours in and probably only half way through) then give this game a try. Expand
  28. Sep 13, 2014
    soooo boring... i played like 20 hours... and still bored... weak char customization.. small skill tree,, isn't a Rpg game.. is a casual game.. is not the worst game... but still have a lot of aspects to improve... the story is fine... you are the Nobody who is the best of the best, born to be god... .. but the game is weak... the strong point is the fighting system and visual fx... butsoooo boring... i played like 20 hours... and still bored... weak char customization.. small skill tree,, isn't a Rpg game.. is a casual game.. is not the worst game... but still have a lot of aspects to improve... the story is fine... you are the Nobody who is the best of the best, born to be god... .. but the game is weak... the strong point is the fighting system and visual fx... but even that is repetitive Expand
  29. Sep 6, 2014
    I love this game!!!

One of the best RPG games I've played in recent years with the best combat system of an RPG ever. The storyline is enough to get you hooked it does slowdown about halfway through the campaign however the abundant side quests and faction quests will soon make you forget about that. The characters are at best forgettable not helped by an outdated animation system
    I love this game!!!

The storyline is enough to get you hooked it does slowdown about halfway through the campaign however the abundant side quests and faction quests will soon make you forget about that. The characters are at best forgettable not helped by an outdated animation system and outdated graphics however the art style is spot on and makes this a minor issue.

In a world of diminishing RPG's this is one that I have returned to numerous times and a must own for any fan of RPG's.
  30. Aug 18, 2014
    Perhaps the only game that has become the problem of a state's taxpayers (State of Rhode Island) due to its developers going belly up...

Is this a sign of what lies within this game with a troubled history? Let's find out. First of all, I want to stress that this isn't a BAD game by any means. It's just not a GREAT game. The premise of the game is essentially generic fantasy trite

The premise of the game is essentially generic fantasy trite with an interesting element added in. Due to a "quirk" in a scientific experiment, your character is no longer bound by any kind of fate. In a very fate-driven world such as Amalur, this essentially makes you a "god" among men. Very cliche, but the premise and story are functional... they serve their purpose of providing a framework for all the time you'll spend going around killing ugly things and collecting phat lewtz.

The graphics are stylized but also dated from a technical standpoint. Heavily reminiscent of that MMO That Shall Not Be Named. Essentially nothing special here.

The gameplay is the strong point of the game, in a weird way. The combat system is fluid and fast-paced, offering a visceral experience as you decimate hordes of foes, and the stealth system is solid in its execution. However, as far as gear goes, this game will give you a distinct feeling that you are playing an MMORPG by yourself. This is especially reflected in the game's gear progression.

However, the class system is very solid, offering a lot of flexibility in the way you want to trick out your character.

All in all, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an average run-of-the-mill RPG with a fun, fast paced combat system and wide assortment of MMO-cliched loot.
  31. Aug 15, 2014
    The first thing I noticed was the camera was controlled like in WOW. The game itself was very much like Oblivion with a better combat system for swordplay, and a worse combat system for bows because I couldnt switch to first person mode. It seemed like a console game because of the autoaim for bows and magic. There was less immersion because I couldnt snipe my enemies in first personThe first thing I noticed was the camera was controlled like in WOW. The game itself was very much like Oblivion with a better combat system for swordplay, and a worse combat system for bows because I couldnt switch to first person mode. It seemed like a console game because of the autoaim for bows and magic. There was less immersion because I couldnt snipe my enemies in first person mode. The dialogue was good, because there was a mix of voices. The lockpicking was equal to oblivion but less immersive than skyrims lockpicking system. There was also a system for alchemy, forging, and lifting curses. I found myself soon overpowered when I wasnt using a sword. The game limited me to one style of play. While this gave the game an element of strategy, I wanted to use a bow, but couldnt because I put all my stats into improving swordplay (on leveling). Because I was stuck doing one style of play I got bored and quit. Expand
  32. Aug 2, 2014
    Beautiful RPG fairytale packed with fantastic combat and tons of content. Amalur feels like The Elder Scrolls for kiddies, especially thanks to the cartoonish colorful artstyle that evokes Mickey Mouse more than anything, so the target audience seems to be about 3-12 years old, but don't get fooled, this is an amazing fantasy RPG and once you get used to it, it's just pure joy to play.Beautiful RPG fairytale packed with fantastic combat and tons of content. Amalur feels like The Elder Scrolls for kiddies, especially thanks to the cartoonish colorful artstyle that evokes Mickey Mouse more than anything, so the target audience seems to be about 3-12 years old, but don't get fooled, this is an amazing fantasy RPG and once you get used to it, it's just pure joy to play. Controls and interface are a bit consolized so a good gamepad is recommended, but then it just feels so smooth and fluid. With the exception of Souls series, I don't remember having so much fun with combat and tight fighting mechanics in RPG anywhere else, these battles were just brutal. I played as a mage and I must admit that after reaching certain level of higher power spells like meteor shower, I have never seen such overpowered mage ever in my life. My char was just a total magic death machine. The world is huge and varied, there are tons and tons of quests and side quests, which is arguably not the best thing about this title, but the main story is pretty good and the primary thing is that progressing your character is fun and the combat is just pure bliss. It took me about 100 hours to finish it, so just about right amount to call it a big solid RPG and even years after finishing it, I'm still remembering memories of playing it very dearly, listening to the soundtrack played by Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Pity 38 Studios went down after this release, I would love to see more material like Amalur. 8/10 Expand
  33. Jul 31, 2014
    I will not write a long review, ill keep it short.This game can easily be described as generic and lazy!Visuals are ok, sometimes great!The problem is:Everything looks the same.There are some presets(desert for example) but thats it.The world is big, too big.Its not filled with good content.Not one quest is memorable.Not one character is memorable.If you search a great story or epicness,I will not write a long review, ill keep it short.This game can easily be described as generic and lazy!Visuals are ok, sometimes great!The problem is:Everything looks the same.There are some presets(desert for example) but thats it.The world is big, too big.Its not filled with good content.Not one quest is memorable.Not one character is memorable.If you search a great story or epicness, you wont find it here.The world is static, nothing changes, ever!The crafting system is interesting at first, and far too strong.Everything youll find will be crap compared to what you can craft.Boring.All in all not worth a buy, sorry.Entertains the first hours, suckz pretty quickly after that. Expand
  34. Jul 30, 2014
    I like this game ( I think)
    I like this game ( I think)
    An immersive and enveloping CRPG (albeit one with the larger than life swords which swing rather too quickly) but this sums up rather well the niche the game makes for itself in terms of stylization and aesthetics. It's colourful, unique, even beautiful to look at. It looks very much like Fable, and there's no doubt that this look has divided people. Personally I think that, in a market where making your game look as cartoon-like as Borderlands is a perfectly valid aesthetic to go for, it doesn't make any sense to describe the KoA graphics as 'rubbish'. It's somethinjg different for the market and that's a good thing.

Combat is pleasing, tactile and involving. There are particular 'moves' you can pull off but you do this by way of button combinations rather than pressing a particular button, and in this regard the game differs from many RPGs. At times against lesser enemies you could argue that the combat descends into button bashing, whereby you don't need to do anything other than clicking continuously until your enemy is dead. However, when you face multiple enemies and strongly enemies who can take your hits without flinching, this criticism isn't applicable.

The world? I know what people mean when they describe it as 'generic'. It's not different in any meaningful way, for the genre. It's very big, confusing, and I don't think the lore is communicated very coherently at all. There's too much splurged at you, and I felt that this was compounded by the size of the world, and the huge number of quests.
    As this world was a new entry for video games I strongly believed it would have benefited by being smaller, with fewer (but longer and more immersive) quests. I found myself overwhelmed after 8 hours because the world opened up like crazy, where before I'd been happy enough getting to know the characters and settlements in a smaller area.

I could go on with more pro's and con's but in short I think it's a strong enough game which had bags of potential but in some senses feels too chaotic and confused to give you a coherent narrative. Open world is all well and good but at the end of the day its usually the main story which compels you and drives you forward, and it never quite hooked me in KoA.
    Having said this, there's lots of fun to be had here and you will experience excellent combat and discover some lovely settings. Well worth the money I bought it for.

P.S I don't believe having the Fae all voiced by Irish actors added anything to the lore. In fact it somewhat detracted from the image of the Fae as an Arcane Race and made it all feel a bit too real for my liking.
  35. Jul 13, 2014
    Entirely mediocre
    I enjoyed this game for the first 10-15 levels. At level 15 I started to get bored. Everything had an element of "sameness." The combat was the same pattern. Maybe I'd mix things up by throwing in a lightning bolt or an arrow instead of killing that monster with my sword. Maybe I'd do the QTE finishing move for extra experience. Overall, it quickly became boring, though.
    Entirely mediocre

The problem is that the world is too generic. The characters are too generic. The quests are too generic. It's all been done before and it's all been done better.

Pros:
    Character customization: you can play how you want to play: big bruising warrior with greatsword or massive hammer. bored with that, pay some gold and become a mage who blasts through everything in its path
    Item crafting: the gear you can make yourself quickly becomes more powerful than anything you can find. not only is the crafting system kind of interesting, it is valuable
    Challenging (at first): while your gear is mediocre and your level is low, the game poses a threat to the average gamer. The problem is that this quickly fades.

Cons:
    Repetitive: every area of the forest is like every other area of the forest. Every area of the plains is like every other area of the plains. The quests are similar, the "ambushes" are predictable, the whole thing just gets... dull.
    Long: Normally this is a pro. I love a game that is a good investment for the money, but due to the repetition, it's just... tedious.
    Awkward: The inventory system is very annoying. The "dispel" system to open magical locks is horrible. The lockpicking system quickly gets old. The quests are all the same.
    Travel: Running from place to place is horribly boring, and though fast travel is implemented, it's done in such a way as to force you to run everywhere FIRST. Great, so you go see the world. The world (after the first 20 hours or so) is BORING. Sorry.

I really wanted to like this game. I did at first. It just became an exercise in WANTING to like it long after I'd stopped actually liking it.
  36. Jul 10, 2014
    Although this game doesn't revolutionize RPG gaming, it is a fun classic RPG. It will get you addicted in trying to level up and get xp. It's like the junk food of RPG games. The only negative is that the characters are not memorable. That's because there's hundreds of people to talk to, and so you'll often skip a lot of dialogue. But if you're a fan of lore, and don't mind gettingAlthough this game doesn't revolutionize RPG gaming, it is a fun classic RPG. It will get you addicted in trying to level up and get xp. It's like the junk food of RPG games. The only negative is that the characters are not memorable. That's because there's hundreds of people to talk to, and so you'll often skip a lot of dialogue. But if you're a fan of lore, and don't mind getting deep into the story, then you'll enjoy the dialogue. Expand
  37. Jul 7, 2014
    Average dialogues and quests and too many pointless things to keep track.
    Horrible controls for the PC experience. Balance between classes is a joke. Combat and controls are very disappointing.
    This is the kind of game where the most rewarding action is autosaving every move you make. Disgusting. I suppose you could play the game on easy to get the main story. But then again, you can
    Average dialogues and quests and too many pointless things to keep track.
    I suppose you could play the game on easy to get the main story. But then again, you can read a book instead.
  38. Jul 6, 2014
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a game that tries hard to imitate other games like Fable or Dragon Age, but it never really seems to find it's own identity. Like many other reviews stated it feels like an offline mmorpg but without the friends. The main quest and the side quests are often boring and are often void of any decent dialog or variety in activities(boring fetch/kill quests thatKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a game that tries hard to imitate other games like Fable or Dragon Age, but it never really seems to find it's own identity. Like many other reviews stated it feels like an offline mmorpg but without the friends. The main quest and the side quests are often boring and are often void of any decent dialog or variety in activities(boring fetch/kill quests that are all to similar) . The dialog wheel which is present in this game is largely at waste and I found myself skipping as much of the dialog as possible. So if you are expecting something deep to hold your attention this is not it. The combat is the only thing that is pretty good/decent in the game, but eventually it gets kind of repetitive without anything of interest in the world to explore(nothing feels worth raising a weapon for). This game receiving praise from reviewers is surprising it is mostly mediocre IMO. If your looking for something different maybe try Dragons Dogma instead they both came out around the same time and DD has some admirable features. Expand
  39. Jun 10, 2014
    Woah, this game is underrated. Normally, I'm more into "realistic" RPGs, like the Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls or Witcher series. This game is pure fantasy, and it's amazing. I never thought I could enjoy such a game so much. The combat is truly amazing: the controls are intuitive and you feel really powerful while executing all the cool combos and special moves. Reckoning mode (slow motion +Woah, this game is underrated. Normally, I'm more into "realistic" RPGs, like the Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls or Witcher series. This game is pure fantasy, and it's amazing. I never thought I could enjoy such a game so much. The combat is truly amazing: the controls are intuitive and you feel really powerful while executing all the cool combos and special moves. Reckoning mode (slow motion + extra cool stuff) also works like a charm. This is, btw, the first game in which I have enjoyed playing a mage.
    I'm not that far in the game, so I can't tell you much about the story yet. The hook, however, seems pretty awesome. It's already clear to me that the main story is just a story, and you have many sidequests, which are all pretty interesting.
    If you're really into roleplaying, as I am, you also have some options, although your choices don't affect the world as much as I would have liked. You can, however, choose different reactions to peoples' conversations and requests. The roleplaying aspect is a bit underdeveloped in this game.
    Thus, this is a great game if you don't expect the wrong things from it. Don't expect it to be like Dragon Age or the Witcher, where all your choices matter greatly. You also shouldn't expect it to be realistic (it's the first RPG in which I used bloom, just to make it feel even more fantasy-like). You should expect a great adventure/action game with a really great combat system instead.
  40. Jun 9, 2014
    Kingdoms of amalur is a great RPG which sadly the company declared bankruptcy.

Kingdoms of amalur is a great RPG which sadly the company declared bankruptcy.

Pros: Kingdoms of amalur allows you to design your own combat, mix up with rogue/mage might/finesse. The skill tree varies around different weapons as you build your own destiny, each category has it's own major skill moves some of them will fascinate you. Famous weapons such as chakrams which will be at your disposal. Each weapon has a set of combos which you can invest in. The graphics are mediocre but I still like them. Tons of side quests and faction missions which are actually really interesting, despite some of the dreadful ones. Unlimited voice actors, you'll find so many voice actors throughout this game.

Cons: The main storyline isn't that all good, and the voice actors also drag down story telling as you're listening to some horrible voice acting with no enthusiasm or emotions thought towards the story etc. Menu system is still annoying, as you have to go back and forth just to switch from one thing to another and you cannot delete quests so you're stuck with what ever you pick up. The character creation is very limited and is not up to date with most RPGS.

Give this game a go, expect some major gameplay!
  41. Jun 8, 2014
    Kingdoms of amalur does nothing special, but everything it does feels right. The story is not the best out there, but very enjoyable. The game makes you feel the hero of the day. The combat system is not innovating, but it excels in its simplicity. On of the best RPG game I have ever played, an unknown gem.
  42. Jun 4, 2014
    The game is probably one of my top favorite RPGs, I love the class system and the combat was really smooth and entertaining. The story is written by one of my favorite fantasy authors so that is also a win.
  43. Jun 3, 2014
    The game is okay in my opinion, it's not horrible but it's also not the best game I've played. It's nowhere near Skyrim but it tries to be. There might as well not be a choice system because your choices don't really have that big on an affect on the world. The graphics are cartoonish, like Wizard101 but with a lot better graphics (same style) most of the quests involve fetching and/orThe game is okay in my opinion, it's not horrible but it's also not the best game I've played. It's nowhere near Skyrim but it tries to be. There might as well not be a choice system because your choices don't really have that big on an affect on the world. The graphics are cartoonish, like Wizard101 but with a lot better graphics (same style) most of the quests involve fetching and/or killing stuff. It's so so in my opinion, and isn't like Dragon age 1 or 2. The camera is weird, it's either zoomed in too close (you can't zoom out) or randomly switches to extra far away when enemies are approaching. There's also no method of targeting an enemy and spells hit a random enemy you are facing, which is annoying. Expand
  44. May 20, 2014
    The game fight mechanic is awesome, real action RPG and even better with the fate rage mode. The story is good and we can make different for the next event (that RPG game need). The quest is clear and fun. The leveling system like other RPG game. There are 3 main attribute: Might(hard hitter), Finesse(sneak attack type), Magic(like what u think with this word). From this 3 main attributeThe game fight mechanic is awesome, real action RPG and even better with the fate rage mode. The story is good and we can make different for the next event (that RPG game need). The quest is clear and fun. The leveling system like other RPG game. There are 3 main attribute: Might(hard hitter), Finesse(sneak attack type), Magic(like what u think with this word). From this 3 main attribute u can get a class with a specific requirement each attribute level. U can mix the attribute to get a different class too, and it can change anytime as long we meet the requirement.

The game difficulty is flexible, for me Hard level is suit for me for challenge and fun. For the first time of playing i choose to mix some main attribute then i decide Hero to be magic type class. Until i found out that class can't hold fast mobs attack, especially in narrow field. So i decide to get my Hero to be Might-Magic class (luckily there are Fateweaver NPC that can un-allocate ur point), which mean i can hard hit while get magic "benefit". With this state i can beat most of boss without a single potion.

I play this game mainly with Joystick and keyboard for quicksave and quickload. The joystick one can only do 4 skill due lack of skill slot and u need re-allocate the slot everytime u need to change.

i give 10 for the awesome fight system and flexibility
  45. Apr 30, 2014
    This is not a bad game, by any means, however it does not add anything new to the genre and simply seems to strive on what other games have done (and, in some cases, better). The world is your typical fluffy elves world, filled with green forests, sandy deserts,... which is inhabited by humans, elves and everything you've already read about in Lord of the Rings.

Combat is fun, fluid,

Combat is fun, fluid, and more hack'n slash oriented. Nevertheless I had fun playing the game. While it does not add anything new, it does deliver on its premise: a decent RPG. And that's what it is: decent, but nothing more.
  46. Mar 12, 2014
    The game is very, very good. I for one found most of the side quests a lot of fun and a good main quest. I give it a 8 out of 10 because this is the best combat in an RPG I've ever seen. And everything else is fine as well. Yes, It doesn't give the best on all fronts, but it gives enough of everything and a ton of awesome combat to earn around a 7/10. It is very, very unique with all it'sThe game is very, very good. I for one found most of the side quests a lot of fun and a good main quest. I give it a 8 out of 10 because this is the best combat in an RPG I've ever seen. And everything else is fine as well. Yes, It doesn't give the best on all fronts, but it gives enough of everything and a ton of awesome combat to earn around a 7/10. It is very, very unique with all it's creatures. No Dragons, no orcs, no regular trolls. It is with mostly completely original enemies and it is the first game made by 38 Studios, so I'll be positive and give it a 8/10 Expand
  47. Feb 21, 2014
    I purchased Kingdoms of Amalur on Steam as a complete package for $11.99 which included all of the DLC and finished the main story in 53 hours. As with most games I play, I finished all the side quests I came across.

Graphics – Great I loved the graphics in KOA. There is a strong a vivid use of color and the world is filled with detail. Animations are fluid and my PC never once

Graphics – Great
    I loved the graphics in KOA. There is a strong a vivid use of color and the world is filled with detail. Animations are fluid and my PC never once stuttered the frame rate from a constant 60 fps. The environments could have used a little more variety as by endgame you will grow tired of the same recycled assets.

Music – Fair
    The music in KOA is well orchestrated but the songs lack depth and variety. More songs would have been a plus as a large amount of time is spent in each area before going to the next and this can have you listening to the same loop for many hours at a time.

Cinematics – Good
    Picture the same dialogue cutscenes as KOTOR or Mass Effect. The dialogue itself is very well written but unlike the Mass Effect series, you may not find yourself delving into the various conversation options. The characters and their backgrounds just weren’t interesting enough for me. The choices during conversations also lacked the Mass Effect style feeling of autonomy. You could make good or evil choices but it never mattered much. “Quick Time” events in combat are a cool sight to see.

Story – Good
    As RPGs go, this story is original and kept me interested enough to finish the game to see what happens. I did not grow attached to any of the side characters or find them interesting. This game is really all about you. The main villain(s) were menacing but far from the kind of evil we love to hate.

Control – Great
    I had no issues with the controls. They are very simple and easy to learn. The UI was easy enough to use. The awkward camera may startle you at first but you quickly get used to it.

Gameplay – Fair
    I played as a melee class so your experience may vary. Combat in the beginning is fun but quickly grows stale. All I really had to do was click mouse 1 until everything died. Even on the hard setting, combat becomes too easy as you gain better weapons and armor. You completely overpower everything and I did not die once the entire game. I also never needed any of the consumable items with the exception of a very rare healing potion.

Content – Good
    There is plenty to do here and the game’s zones adjust to your level so you are free to do as little or as much as you want to for side quests. The loot you find is very rewarding in the beginning of the game but by the middle, I was scrapping everything I found for parts. I had over five million gold with nothing to spend it on.

Value – Great
    For $12 I had 53 hours of fun. The game is huge and kept me playing until I finished. I did not feel inclined to play through the DLC quest lines. In my opinion, they weren’t worth it.

Recommended – Yes
    I recommend this game for the price I paid. In my opinion, this game is worth $20 or less. It is currently $19.99 on Steam without the DLC.
  48. Feb 9, 2014
    This is a horribly overrated game, and it has no value aside from a vast world and semi-legit voice acting. If you're looking for a single player game of the same quality as a free-to-play MMORPG, then you may enjoy this, other than that - don't waste your time and money.
    Combat and movement mechanics are horrid: if you're standing on a hill - your attacks go perpendicular to your character, so if an enemy is right in front of you and you're theoretically targeting them - your projectiles go right above their heads (or into the hill at their feet, if you're below them). There doesn't appear to be a way to cancel your long-charge combo attacks, so if you see a new enemy jump out from the side of the screen while in the middle of a combo - you're screwed, forced to just sit there and helplessly watch yourself getting hit. The game is completely 2D as far as the movement plane goes, there is no jumping aside from a few designated spots (with a special animation). Smallest rocks on the ground have huge collision boxes, making you walk all the way around them instead of over them, (and i'm not exaggerating - some of those rocks are maybe 3 inches tall, it is incredibly dumb that your character constantly gets stuck on them trying to walk past.).
    Leveling-up mechanics (skill and ability trees) and inventory management are pretty much straight from Dragon Age (and i'm sure a bunch of other much older games, but Dragon Age is the first one that comes to mind), so nothing original or unique there. I'm not exactly criticizing re-using old techniques, but just emphasizing the fact that there isn't anything ground-breaking which would make up for all the bad things.
    Graphics are at a World of Warcraft level. Considering how old WoW is, i'm sure that says a lot.
    And to top it all there are game-breaking bugs that there is no way to get around, aside from reloading a much earlier save game at the beginning of a quest line and trying again (hoping the bug won't happen again). I would have even forgiven not being able to complete that particular quest and just moving on to others, but this game didn't even let me do that - i was just stuck in one place with no ability to go anywhere.
    Overall - really badly made game. A 6 out of 10 *at most*. And if it wasn't for the slightly-above-mediocre art/music/writing, i wouldn't have given it more than 4 out of 10.
    And i can't believe the critic score is 8, this is the first game I've played with a metascore score so far away from the score it actually deserves.
  49. Feb 5, 2014
    The leveling system and combat is pretty fun. Reminiscent of Darksiders. However, I never felt like your class goes very far to stand on its own. As a rogue, opportunities for stealth kills are few and far between, and the leveled indoor areas with their narrow hallways rarely present an opponent with a turned back, making stealth seem useless at times. Mages are difficult to keep atThe leveling system and combat is pretty fun. Reminiscent of Darksiders. However, I never felt like your class goes very far to stand on its own. As a rogue, opportunities for stealth kills are few and far between, and the leveled indoor areas with their narrow hallways rarely present an opponent with a turned back, making stealth seem useless at times. Mages are difficult to keep at optimal spellcasting range, as many enemies can close the distance very quickly, or even instantly. Hilly terrain makes line of sight a constant problem. In the end, most fights turn into a melee fest, regardless of your chosen class.

I enjoyed the crafting system, and it was nice to be able to craft actual superior items, and not just junk. The skills are intuitive and while there are some skills that seem pretty unused, there are none that absolute necessities, and you are free to choose the ones best fit your character or playstyle.

My biggest gripe with the game is the inventory. It is terribly organized, with no options to even organize it yourself. You'll find your inventory space slowly getting smaller until you scroll through hundreds of crafting items looking for junk that crept into your bags over time. Add a clunky interface where buttons may have different functions depending on which way you are using your inventory (crafting, buying/selling, containers)

All in all, this is a good game, and I've enjoyed it.
  50. Feb 4, 2014
    I thought that this would be just anther RPG game that I would finish and countinue my life but when I begin the game I was getting involved with the story it just was not what I expected but I love the game and to get the full experience buy the game on PC
  51. Feb 3, 2014
    I think this is perhaps one of the most underrated games I've played. Truly, it has it's flaws (EA publishing being one of them), but overall, it's a mix of things I greatly enjoy. Fable II's fun combat system into something significantly and dynamically more fluid. The first Fable's enjoyable and rather diverse magic abilities. Skyrim's level of questing and sheer expansiveness of theI think this is perhaps one of the most underrated games I've played. Truly, it has it's flaws (EA publishing being one of them), but overall, it's a mix of things I greatly enjoy. Fable II's fun combat system into something significantly and dynamically more fluid. The first Fable's enjoyable and rather diverse magic abilities. Skyrim's level of questing and sheer expansiveness of the world. When playing through it, it will make you think of an MMO environment and loot basis, but with the enjoyment, immersion, exploration, and questing of the singleplayer game it is. A game so good, I bought it twice - Once for xbox, and again for PC. It's worth getting. Simple as that. Expand
  52. Feb 2, 2014
    Played about 20 hours of it so far and I believe it deserves a solid 8.2ish out of ten. Great game, alot of options for your character, gameplay is fun as muck and never before have I come across Chakrams in an action rpg such as this before. They are fun to play around with and this game is worth catching on steam sale for sure!

The only con I can really think of is the lacking story.

The only con I can really think of is the lacking story. Just a bit long winded but apart from this and a bug or two, its a stellar game.
  53. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is nothing like you think , cuz this game is the best , it started when "us" were reborn in a well of soul and we started all the way from there to the darkness's camp and base so we stared as anything we want from being a human , a "Dokklafar" ( like an elf ) , etc. And we travelled to know/learn fate , and you can be as a army , magic leader , all sort of that and please use aThis game is nothing like you think , cuz this game is the best , it started when "us" were reborn in a well of soul and we started all the way from there to the darkness's camp and base so we stared as anything we want from being a human , a "Dokklafar" ( like an elf ) , etc. And we travelled to know/learn fate , and you can be as a army , magic leader , all sort of that and please use a good gaming pc to play it
    :-)
  54. Jan 7, 2014
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a so-so game, sometimes even good, but it fails miserably at trying to be something it will never be.

Pros: - Good variety of side quests - Ability to join numerous factions and enjoy related storylines - Ease in grasping game mechanics and flexibility in changing playstyles - Intuitive combat system with an emphasis on dodging/blocking and chaining

Pros:
    - Good variety of side quests
    - Ability to join numerous factions and enjoy related storylines
    - Ease in grasping game mechanics and flexibility in changing playstyles
    - Intuitive combat system with an emphasis on dodging/blocking and chaining attacks

Cons:
    - Bland, generic, uninteresting characters, which look almost like clones
    - Uneven, exaggerated voice acting
    - Disappointing, generic main plot
    - Console-specific gimmick strongly tied to the main plot (Reckoning Mode)
    - Bright WoW-ish graphics completely misaligned with the dark theme of the main plot and frequent brutal finisher animations
    - Poorly executed, generic skill tree
    - Oversimplified mechanics crafting, lockpicking, sneaking and performing stealth kills
    - Generally low difficulty even on hard mode catered more to younger, casual gamers, but conflicting with the age requirement (18+ in Europe)
    - Uneven difficulty of challenges very easy lockpicking versus extremely hard dispelling (which has a time-lag bug sometimes rendering it impossible to complete)
    - Uneven difficulty of enemies some are ridiculously easy, while others can constantly and unrealistically home-in their attacks into the player character
    - Stagger on every received blow (be it player character or enemy) leading to stun-locks on both sides
    - Lack of player character voice-over or even simple mimicry during cut-scenes and dialogs
    - Etc, etc.

If for some reason you still want to play KoA: R, I suggest buying it at cheaper than 10 euro/dollars. For more you can simply pickup Skyrim, which is far superior with all of the available mods, at random sales. I really tried to like this game, but the number of ludicrous mistakes on the developers' part make KoA: R not worth one's time.
  55. Dec 29, 2013
    Amalur is easily and by far my favorite RPG i have played in 2012 only since Dragon Age origins have i ever truly liked a western made RPG. Amalur like dragon age was one my most immersive experiences i had. the gameplay, story, and game world were all so wonderful for me to indulge in.
    To start of with the gameplay was some of the most invigorating i have seen in a western RPG. with the game being an action RPG you will spend most of your time in combat witch is by far better than most other western RPG title, more comparable to combat in God of War or Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Amalur's combat is heavily based on dodging parrying and attacking rather than preplanned elaborate tactics, this style of combat serves and fits well in this type of game. to go along with the game play the UI is very well design, the HUD is simple yet solid and the menu catagorizes all your gear and items so well its never hard to find what you want. the RPG elements that support the game are impressive as well. being able to blend the three styles of combat Might(warrior) Finess(rouge) Sorcery(mage) in anyway you want is great i found my self preffering the rouge mage build and a combination of all three. there is also crafting but im never much for crafting in any game it so i wont judge it. navigating the world is all simple and sastifying a massive map filled with many areas strung together with narrow interconneting pathways makes navigation easy and not at all overwhelming to any player. all together the gamplay package with this game is one that borrows alot from good examples and excutes them just as well
    the game world its self is quite pretty i found it seems like it started as a very bright and colorful MMO but stopped half way to be a single Player RPG. the art direction is one i really like especially with many games having such bland color pallets its nice to see a game like viva pinata thats not afraid to use colors thats are browns and greys. the creatures in the world arent very original in though or idea but have their personality in execution (except wolves but come on they're wolves you can only make them look so different). also the game is riddled with lore. that can be found in many forms such as books NPCs and Lorestones(stones that when activated play an audio file related to the background story of the world) are scattered throughout the world. the game world is one that i find to be immersive and interesting.
    lastly the story which is very possible the hardest thing to review. some may find it boring while other may find it entertaining. it all falls heavily on what you like in a story. for example many people find the witcher to have a great story where i find it to be a whatever story but its all opinion. So in my opinion the story to Amalur is good. any one who knows of Joseph Campbell knows what to expect from any story that involves a hero's journey there is no originality here in plot devices and what not just like any other hero story but the circumstances and setting around it supports it enough and makes it stand out in my memory. to give a quick no-spoilers summary: having being brought back from the dead you discover that you are no longer bound by the weaves of fate the determine the fate of the world and all who inhabit it. and since you are the only one free to choose your own destiny its up to you to save the world. nothing new here same as many hero stories, but i believe that the fateless one angle is worked pretty well.
    all in all Amalur is a great game and should be at least tried by any RPG fan. I was so infactuated with this game i actually bought it 3 times once on all the platforms it was released on eventually. and of course like every other game its has its faults but none take away from overall enjoyment i give it a solid 8/10 the game would earn a 9 from me if it didn't suffer from boring side quest syndrom(where all almost all the side quest are go here do that come back for hours on end) more varrying enemy types and a greater visual variety of armor sets(just about all armor of the same type looks exactly the same) just to name a few problems i had and guess a slightly better fast travel system to, if only to be picky at this point.
  56. Dec 27, 2013
    Great game, spent a lot of time on quests. Stable, good looking and nice voiceover. It felt a bit tedious at certain points but at the end it was a great experience.
  57. Dec 22, 2013
    kingdoms of amalur is only a game about combat and good quests,but it ultimately fails in everything else.
    stupid story with no interesting charchters, stupid repetitive soundtracks and the world sucks in many locations,there are locations that will make you stop and look at them wondering if these developers took a piss on them.
    i mean the mountains and grounds looked bad,sky looked
    i mean the mountains and grounds looked bad,sky looked awfull and there's no rain or anything that will make you feel you are living this for real.
    the game is so generic,also you'll never get the chance to do anything else than killing enemies here and there,i mean there's no gambling,fist fighting or anything that you could do in other RPGs.
    repetitive houses and taverns,repetitive NP Cs,i mean alot of people in this game looked the same.
    the game took alot of ideas from The elder scrolls even the picklock was taken from TES and it was done the same way.
    after playing 53 hours in this game i do not want to continue it,coz the story sucks,charchters sucked BALLS!!,soundtrack sucks,inventory sucks and the world felt like even if it was good in some locations
    after fifty three hours i will not go further in this ****ty game or its world that is full of piss.
    the only thing that made me play all this was the quests and faction missions,but eventually you'll feel like in this generic piece of and its cartoonish graphics.
    Daaaamn i was expecting a game like the Witcher,but i found myself drowning in a sea of piss and feces.
    i can only give this generic game a generic 6 out of a supergeneric 10 for the good combat and those generic quests. lol
  58. Dec 15, 2013
    Dont get fooled by all the hate reviews. This game is worth every penny. Its mistake was that it came after Skyrim and Dragon Age.
    Combat mechanics are absolutely phenomenal.
    The world is simply stunning. The story is very gripping and side quests are much better than any other rpg right now. It may feel a little "made only for console" but i dont think it will matter much. The only
    Combat mechanics are absolutely phenomenal.
    The only negative I feel is that you cannot change the camera distance. Other than that its flawless. Must buy for rpg fans.
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    The game is really fun and great combat big beautiful world, huge amount of side quests thought the world and plays great with no bugs even from the launch.
    defiantly worth to pick up and play,
  60. Oct 29, 2013
    Just a great game! I'm not a "high fantasy" type, but had no trouble enjoying this world. Combat is the main pleasure here as it may well be the best seen in this genre. The world is huge and enjoyable to explore. If you a lore junkie you will certainly get your fix here! Controls are tight and very few bugs, certainly no game breakers. Tons of loot to find/craft/buy. Good size skill treesJust a great game! I'm not a "high fantasy" type, but had no trouble enjoying this world. Combat is the main pleasure here as it may well be the best seen in this genre. The world is huge and enjoyable to explore. If you a lore junkie you will certainly get your fix here! Controls are tight and very few bugs, certainly no game breakers. Tons of loot to find/craft/buy. Good size skill trees to develop a unique character. Why is this not rated higher here I can't say, except for the usual complaint "generic fantasy", boring side quests, no name characters etc. which IMO most if not all huge rpg's suffer from to some extent due to their sheer size. Anyway a very solid fun game worth a look. A damn shame there will likely never be a proper sequel which this game definitely deserves! Expand
  61. Oct 23, 2013
    Amazing game! Seriously, IGNORE THE TROLLS. Reminds me of a classic RPG with a good balance of story, lore, and new gear everywhere. PLENTY of side quests and exploring for being a linear game. You don't think too much on the linear side because of the amount of things to do including crafting and hidden loot etc. MUST BUY for RPG fans!
  62. Oct 20, 2013

Orctowngrot
  63. Oct 16, 2013
    Based on a world and story created by the #1 best Fantasy author, R.A. Salvatore and with designs by Spawn and Spiderman artist Todd McFarlane this game is beautifully written and designed. It is a welcome escape from online RPG's and as a solo RPG it is one of the best I have ever played.
  64. Oct 5, 2013
    Pros A fairly large world map, engaging combat both as melee or caster, and enemies that move around a lot which makes combat interesting again. Cons utterly forgettable characters pulled out of a fantasy name-generataring-pot, and equally forgettable stories/quests. A great effort, but ultimately gets boring and repetetive almost like if you were playing World of Warcraft as aPros A fairly large world map, engaging combat both as melee or caster, and enemies that move around a lot which makes combat interesting again. Cons utterly forgettable characters pulled out of a fantasy name-generataring-pot, and equally forgettable stories/quests. A great effort, but ultimately gets boring and repetetive almost like if you were playing World of Warcraft as a single-player game. Combat is dynamic and interesting, but it feels like the lead writers got bored at some point. Players will follow suit. Could have been much more. Expand
  65. Oct 5, 2013
    The problem with being in the same genre as Skyrim is that if you're not as good as one of, if not the, best game ever in the genre, then people claim you're awful.

KoA is one of the best open world and fantasy games to have ever been released. While not being Skyrim, the game systems are very rewarding, the artwork stunning and original, and the over all presentation being very

KoA is one of the best open world and fantasy games to have ever been released.

While not being Skyrim, the game systems are very rewarding, the artwork stunning and original, and the over all presentation being very highly polished.

It is a great injustice that the game fared so poorly commercially, and that we will likely never get a sequel.
  66. Sep 26, 2013
    Fun game. Excellent gameplay. Some replayability. Great combat. Needs a sequel bad! This game is how you develop combat in rpgs. Very exciting stuff while looking for adventure.
  67. sdi
    Sep 26, 2013
    Where to begin.From the generic storyline, world ,quests and painfully unmemorable characters or tedious combat system?You know you got something wrong with your game when the most memorable character is a drunk mage and fights become a chore after two hours of gameplay.Conversations are meaningless and almost failed to engage me in every occasion and didn't give me the illusion that a rpgWhere to begin.From the generic storyline, world ,quests and painfully unmemorable characters or tedious combat system?You know you got something wrong with your game when the most memorable character is a drunk mage and fights become a chore after two hours of gameplay.Conversations are meaningless and almost failed to engage me in every occasion and didn't give me the illusion that a rpg is supposed to offer to the player.The crafting system is moderate at best and customization is almost non existent.The combat system shows some potential as it is easily picked up and customized to your liking. Overall this game is below average and definitely didn't live up to the expectations and hype. Expand
  68. Sep 18, 2013
    Very good action RPG Nice scenario, excellent graphics, pretty good gameplay along with a flex ability development and optional resetting of all characteristics, set a game full of fun. Great variety of monsters and lots of loot and weapons. Looking forward to a sequel
  69. Sep 13, 2013
    a really amazing and fulfilling RPG the graphics and story are okay but the gameplay is simply awesome the hack'n'slash game play is just amazing recommended to any rpg fan
  70. Sep 1, 2013
    This game was great. Seriously. Screw all these other guys expecting it to be another skyrim, which it's not. Its more of a cross between Dragon Age, Fable, a bit of God of War and a little bit of Diablo. Definitley worth it.
  71. Jul 31, 2013
    Playing through single-player it seemed the game was made for multiplayer based on the sheer amount of drone-style side quests presented and the vast amount of interlinked areas. I felt that it disconnected me from the main story and indirectly detracted from the quality, eg. the MMO-quality cutscenes. Running from area to area collecting or killing X amount of things, skipping through thePlaying through single-player it seemed the game was made for multiplayer based on the sheer amount of drone-style side quests presented and the vast amount of interlinked areas. I felt that it disconnected me from the main story and indirectly detracted from the quality, eg. the MMO-quality cutscenes. Running from area to area collecting or killing X amount of things, skipping through the pointless dialogue, made it feel like I shouldn't be doing this alone; then making a 180 and going back to the main questline, actually listening to everything Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, felt really weak and sub-par. One thing I liked was how the skills and abilities were done. Along with the presence of Destinies, which granted you passive bonuses based on how deep your were in a tree/multiple trees, was a pretty innovative concept that allowed for some effective customization. Unfortunately, the game couldn't decide whether it wanted to be an MMORPG or a single-player RPG it tries to fuse elements from both and comes out playing like a very mediocre hack-n-slash experiment. Expand
  72. Jul 27, 2013
    There's so much going on in this game that the easiest way to inform new players about it is in a list type format:

Graphics: Similar to Fable. Sorta cartoony, but they nail the whole fantasy feel right on the head so I can't really knock them too much. Combat: They went the God of War combat route, which is fairly uncommon for open world RPGs. It works very well and allows for the

Combat: They went the God of War combat route, which is fairly uncommon for open world RPGs. It works very well and allows for the player to combine might,magic, and finesse moves to create some truly devastating attacks. The camera can go wonky sometimes, but it doesn't happen often enough for it to really hurt the gameplay.
    Class System: Every RPG developer needs to take notes on how they've done the class system in this game. You have 3 skill trees (might, magic, finesse) and you put points into whichever ones you want when you level up. Depending on the total amount of points you put into each one determines which class you get as you level up. For example, if you go full on strength you'll eventually unlike a Knight or Berserker type class. Put some point into magic as well? You'll end up with a Battlemage, giving you bonuses to spell power, mana, and physical damage/resistance. Your class and skill allocation can also be changed at anytime for a menial amount of gold.
    Crafting: The crafting is easy to pick up and adds more to the game. You have Alchemy, Blacksmith, and a type of Gem crafting. You can make armors, weapons, and gems to socket into them.
    Story: The story is alright. There's enough there to keep you interested, but the real interesting stuff lies within the games hundred and hundreds of side-quests.
    Factions: Various factions you can join; all of which provide you with unique armors and weapons throughout their quests and various boosts to your hero's abilities.
    Gear and Loot: Needless to say the game has a ton of stuff to collect. It follows the generic color scheme to inform you of the items strength/value/rarity as well as having tons of collectible unique armor sets and weapons.
    Length: For me, RPG's can go on forever. If the average guy wanted to know how much playing time they'd get out of it I would say easily around 30-40+ hours. If you complete the story, which by itself takes near 20 or so, and immerse yourself in the side-quests and characters then you'll have no trouble spending hours and hours here.
    Lore: My God the lore. This game has more lore in one faction's side-quest line than some RPGs have in their entire story. Where Skyrim let down pretty much everyone on the lore front this game provides almost too much lore to handle.

If there's something I'm missing it's understandable simply because there's so much here. If you're a fan of RPGs than this is a must play. Without a doubt.
  73. Jul 21, 2013
    Played and finished KoA twice with both DLCs. Love this game! The combat is fluent and fun, the story is woven deep into the world they created and the class and item customisation is extensive!

The quest design is probably one of the only negatives I would say about the game, with too many fetch quests and talk to this person quests, feels too MMO-y. Otherwise, great game!
  74. Jul 19, 2013
    I had heard this game was good from a few people and decided to check it out. If you come in expecting something akin to Skyrim or Oblivion you might be disappointed but with an open mind you are sure to enjoy this game. The combat reminds me of fable and dragon age two except it feels tighter and more responsive. That isn't to saw the combat isn't without minor flaws on rare occasionsI had heard this game was good from a few people and decided to check it out. If you come in expecting something akin to Skyrim or Oblivion you might be disappointed but with an open mind you are sure to enjoy this game. The combat reminds me of fable and dragon age two except it feels tighter and more responsive. That isn't to saw the combat isn't without minor flaws on rare occasions your camera will do something completely idiotic that makes about as much sense as braille at the drive up ATM but you really can't complain to much. Story wise it was somewhat forgettable however the lackluster story will fade from mind as the loot starts to drop and you run around the world of Amalur like the god of reckoning killing things in ways that will put a smile on your face. Think murdering things with daggers is fun and lo and behold a legendary greatsword drops, just visit a fateweaver and spec into sword and go on a rampage. The combat in this game is so enjoyable it will overshadow all gripes. The loot is outstanding you feel the need to open everything just to see if you get something new to rip things apart with. The world is nice to look at don't expect realism you are in the fae lands the monsters are a riot to fight and there are about 30 different types with many sub types. The crafting allows you to make items that will make you whistle.
    This game is solid enjoyable and worth your time and money maybe not at 50 dollars but if you see this game on sale be sure to buy it you will enjoy your purchase
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    KK guys, dont look at these outdated reviews of noob users of cheat engine that keep saying the games is crap haha... now, i just bought the complete pack of this game and here how it is.

Main story and some sub quests: 17-20hours Teeth of Naros DLC: 10hours (Epic 10hours!!) 4/5 Legends of dead kel: 10-15hours 4/5 Amor & weapons bundle: Epic stuff this is just fantastic! its full

Main story and some sub quests: 17-20hours
    Teeth of Naros DLC: 10hours (Epic 10hours!!) 4/5
    Legends of dead kel: 10-15hours 4/5
    Amor & weapons bundle: Epic stuff

this is just fantastic! its full of amazing content!! i saw some ppl saying "duh this sucks after 10hours" loooooooolll look every city has a small story to tell you so when you pass through a city and buy some gear with your cheat engined cash (like a noob) just stop and do the quest to get some money and rare items unless than hacking!

This game isnt short, fantastic graphics, amazing gear/mobs/stuff, AN EPIC combat system and a lot more!
  76. May 31, 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur has allot of content, over 200 hours of game, but most of that 200 hours is boring fetch
    quests that just tell you to run there kill that come back, but its not all bad the combat in this game is the best I have seen in a rpg. The story will take about 30 hours on the normal mode.
    Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is a solid rpg and any true fan of an rpg's should invest in this game you wont regret it.
  77. May 16, 2013
    This game suffers from very bad publisher's choice of placing it's release date month after Skyrim! And of course it's inferior to Elder Sc]rolls 5, so people ignored it. But a good game overall
  78. Apr 28, 2013
    Plays as though it was designed to be an MMO, and looks like one too (WOW); predominantly hack & slash nonsense and tiresome fetch-quests (or wander-to-the-other-side-of-the-map-and-kill-this-thing-quests). After a few hours, I was bored, and had no desire to pick the game up again.
  79. Apr 27, 2013
    After a single completionist playthrough sadly have to confirm that the game is NOT very good. It feels like a huge amount of work went into Amalur but it has no heart, no soul and nothing in the world to draw players back into a second playthrough. Everything about the game is almost good. The world is almost good. Had potential. The combat system is almost good. Its fun in moments butAfter a single completionist playthrough sadly have to confirm that the game is NOT very good. It feels like a huge amount of work went into Amalur but it has no heart, no soul and nothing in the world to draw players back into a second playthrough. Everything about the game is almost good. The world is almost good. Had potential. The combat system is almost good. Its fun in moments but grows boring over time. The writing is almost good. The loot and crafting could have been almost good (they aren't really) but just become tedious over time as you collect and discard THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of mediocre items. The main plot is almost good but seems to have been ignored in favour of about 500 side quests that spread your interest, your attention and your immersion in the world on 100 hours of diversions each as boring and meaningless as the next. Clearly what happened with this game was that a vast amount of money was spent doing a vast amount of work setting the stage for later developments in the world. The problem with this is that the game has no real narrative focus and no real atmosphere. Can anyone who played it remember even one character's name? After spendng numerous long hours criss-crossing the map doing every imaginable fetch quest for the whole population of the lands one will be totally BORED with Amalur. While I'm scoring it the same as Skyrim, it is actually less of a game. There is a palpable absence of passion in the core of this design. A lot of competent craftwork is wasted without a sense of leadership vision. Expand
  80. Apr 12, 2013
    Really engaging and full of lore.

A game which contains elements of Skyrim and WOW. Story is deep and fantastical as you could imagine being authored by decent fantasy writers. It looks pretty and plays well. The combat is much better than most RPG's. The game is huge with many quests that I ignored after the first zone. I just did the faction and main story quests and that took
    Really engaging and full of lore.

The game is huge with many quests that I ignored after the first zone. I just did the faction and main story quests and that took 36 hours, this game is huge. If you like your RPG's this is not a game you should miss.
  81. Apr 6, 2013
    the game starts pretty decent combat system is ok. this game just doesnt have a soul, it really feels like a mmo the loot system just sucks in an offline rpg i dont want 100 weapons that all look the same the only difference is that 2 dmg this.. if youre looking for an good rpg dont get this.
  82. Apr 5, 2013
    There is quite a lot I love about this game. I love the world itself, its high fantasy beautiful and I am enjoying running around and being stunned by pretty vistas everywhere I go. I dont mind the cartoon type graphics, its a high fantasty game after all I love the funny personalities and the cool magic weapons, at last a magic weapon that really kicks butt! THE CHAKRAS! In some otherThere is quite a lot I love about this game. I love the world itself, its high fantasy beautiful and I am enjoying running around and being stunned by pretty vistas everywhere I go. I dont mind the cartoon type graphics, its a high fantasty game after all I love the funny personalities and the cool magic weapons, at last a magic weapon that really kicks butt! THE CHAKRAS! In some other games being a commited magic user was impossible, but in thIs game my character can really have fun just being a mage and im loving that. I am also looking forward to trying out the other builds in future replays. Im on my first playthrough and am managing most missions without problems and very few bugs, well none so far which is excellent imo. The story is ok but I do get side tracked easily by people I meet who need help and I really want to help them, their storues are interesting and fun. Would love some flirting or romance options but glad its not done badly as in skyrim, better no romance than what skyrim had to offer.
    One thing that has really annoyed me about this game and many others too I might add is that although many mage armours have different names they all look the same, the only thing that cahnges is the stats. I am up to level 18 with about a weeks worth of playing, MANY many hours and I have only found about four different armour designs. Its a bit disappointing as I love the way I can see my character whenever I want too and I am able to change her hairstyle and colour and accessories etc. Love that, yaay! But I would love a much better range of armour styles. One of the best ever games for this was Neverwinter Nights 2. They had hundreds of different armours and styles, man what a game that was!!
    Oh and another thing, Anders from Dragon Age, the mage? His voice is everywhere in this game and I am really tired of meeting people and hearing his voice, he must have done about a third of the voice acting jobs, he was even in the latest star wars game too, just becoming too familiar to me. I dont like that.
    I think the crafting system is nice, I am enjoying using it. I love the skills system, easy and straightforward for me and I think the maps and map travel is lovely. I wish I had a unicorn to ride on though, hehe. I am still in honeymoon phase with this game as in enjoying it very very much and am hoping I continue to do so. Just edited my score as I think this game is more and 8 than a 9.
  83. Mar 25, 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur is a fun enough game, similar in style and gameplay to other action RPGs like Fable. On the plus side, it's got a pretty big world, with a load of quests to do and decent character design. On the other hand, the setting, storyline and many environments (caves, I'm looking at you) are rather generic, which is both surprising and disappointing considering who was involved.
  84. Mar 22, 2013
    Although many reviews state that the game is bug free, mine isn't. I had some instances during combat, when the camera had a mind of its own and sometimes clipped through the ground, obscuring the enemies right in front of me. Speaking of clipping, when I was in town, many chickens were clipping through fences and people. However, other than these two bugs, the game is totally bug free.TheAlthough many reviews state that the game is bug free, mine isn't. I had some instances during combat, when the camera had a mind of its own and sometimes clipped through the ground, obscuring the enemies right in front of me. Speaking of clipping, when I was in town, many chickens were clipping through fences and people. However, other than these two bugs, the game is totally bug free.The game had its own share of pros and cons. Some things I did not like about the game was the character customization menu in the beginning of the game. I could hardly create a character that I was satisfied with, due to the many presets in the menu. Another con I would like to bring up is the mute character. The developers could have at least put in a few preset voices for us to choose from. A pro of the game that really defines it is the real-time combat. Other than that, the game is very well-voiced and had a good generous level system, also the 100 long hours of side quests, more if you include the dlc. Overall, Amalur has everything you expect from any RPG, only taken to a higher level. If you are sick and tired of all those normal RPG games, be sure to pick this one up. Expand
  85. Mar 17, 2013
    Great game first off. Amazing Graphics and gameplay. The story is very bland and uninteresting tho. There are 2 DLCs released, that gives some better storylines than the original. There are some great boss battles in the addons than in the original game. There are lots of customizations for your character in this game that makes it interesting and somewhat addictive to play. Yet, you can'tGreat game first off. Amazing Graphics and gameplay. The story is very bland and uninteresting tho. There are 2 DLCs released, that gives some better storylines than the original. There are some great boss battles in the addons than in the original game. There are lots of customizations for your character in this game that makes it interesting and somewhat addictive to play. Yet, you can't help but put down the controller if you get bored from the storyline. The world is pretty expansive, and good thing fast travel feature is involved. There are tons of side quests as well, but nothing that keeps you interested in actually doing them. I can name a few rpgs similar, like Fable and Dark Souls but those have better interesting story. watch completed playthrough with commentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMf5vNXw7o&feature=share&list=PLgKhjQe3_Es7osRkxYaxGo3tbLUqivHGY Expand
  86. Mar 17, 2013
    The best part of this game was certain parts of it. When I first started to play I enjoyed everything from the layout, map, characters, combat(expect the inability to jump), cut scenes, etc.. After you dive into the game it starts to unfold. I will say I liked everything up to the end of the first zone. After you start to get the hang of it it looks allot like fable 3. The problem withThe best part of this game was certain parts of it. When I first started to play I enjoyed everything from the layout, map, characters, combat(expect the inability to jump), cut scenes, etc.. After you dive into the game it starts to unfold. I will say I liked everything up to the end of the first zone. After you start to get the hang of it it looks allot like fable 3. The problem with fable 3 and this game as well is the lack of a large persistent environment. Games like this and state that "the game has an open world feel" should live up to that standard instead of saying one thing and get something entirely different. The game is actually very instanced. You will have to load from you zone to another, every time you enter a house in a village(which they are what, like 3?) and have to like the invisible walls that are everywhere in game that limit your ability to freely maneuver over objects such as hills or anything that doesn't have a preset action. The large open world that was promised felt like barely one zone in any standard mmo today. The more i progressed the more I couldn't help but thinking open world isn't one tiny area connected to many many very tiny areas. The dungeons were uninspiring and everything after the desert was enough for me. As soon as i got to the desert area i knew what i got myself into... an impulse buy. My advice is not to buy this game if you are expecting an offline mmo. This is a cookie cutter action RPG wanna be with big words and little to show for it. The 50 bucks they wanted when it came out wasn't worth it and now that it's on sale on steam for half that it's not worth it. If I ever see it in the .99 bin I might pick it up if I am very very very bored. Expand
  87. Mar 16, 2013
    It was a solid, well done and greater battle system RPG that I played last year. In 2013 I wanna play the expansion, really anyone who likes RPG will love this game. The main quest are amazing.
  88. Mar 16, 2013
    I decided I need to downgrade the game more. Great initial concepts with horrid execution. Bad porting of console controls. Mediocre graphics. Horrible voice acting. Bland quests. Horrible facial animations and out of sync dialog. I pretty much only give it 5 due to the concepts. Execution is TERRIBLE. Avoid this unless its really cheap and you have nothing else to do.
  89. Mar 6, 2013
    Much better than Skyrim. Its a wonderfull game but to easy finish it on hard. Only make good armor with big health and you not need health potions. I hope I can see a KoA 2 soon.
  90. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    Not a bad game but nothing special. Recommended to play but don't expect too much.Combat is getting repetitive after a while and story isn't very immersing.
  91. Feb 4, 2013
    Too much severe key assignment. I think GPU usage rate is not optimized. It is regrettable although it is contents which can be enjoyed very much.
  92. Jan 29, 2013
    A lot of people are judging this game harshly because of certain mechanics or that it was too easy. In my opinion this game is a solid blend of fighting mechanics of Dark Souls and the special abilities of WoW. It keeps things interesting by allowing you to play as you please. It doesn't require you to use special abilities to win fights but also doesn't make it seem like hack and slash isA lot of people are judging this game harshly because of certain mechanics or that it was too easy. In my opinion this game is a solid blend of fighting mechanics of Dark Souls and the special abilities of WoW. It keeps things interesting by allowing you to play as you please. It doesn't require you to use special abilities to win fights but also doesn't make it seem like hack and slash is the easiest way to conquer this title. So far I have logged 26 hours into this game and I am still attached to the storyline and am still developing my play style. I play on Hard and I can honestly say that it is a challenge and the rewards are oh so glorious. The side quests are boring? They alter entire villages and quest lines? For example you can wipe out an entire village or just kill the boss. You can kill villagers as you please. And they stay dead. Simple minded MMO for solo? Maybe so, but at least the quests are better and more interesting then most MMO's and RPG's. Outdated graphics? Maybe so, but considering how it is generally open world with no load screens? Exception of course being when you enter a dungeon or house. The largest flaw I found was the camera but that's easy to fix, it's called a right joy stick. This game was advertised as your standard RPG level-up with side quests and with publisher 38 studios and their normal take on graphics I got exactly what I expected and more. Sorry to those who don't see it the same way, but before judging this RPG try playing others that this one is in competition with, WoW is a good one to start. At least the combat in this game makes you think and move. Expand
  93. Dec 23, 2012
    KoA is a fun game but nothing spectacular. Overall the game's structure is very similar to the elder scroll series. it has a fairly okay main story line as well as multiple faction quest lines. the gameplay, however, is very versatile. You can build your character by mixing skills from might, finesse and magic three skill trees. It also had diablo-like loot drop mechanics and a decentKoA is a fun game but nothing spectacular. Overall the game's structure is very similar to the elder scroll series. it has a fairly okay main story line as well as multiple faction quest lines. the gameplay, however, is very versatile. You can build your character by mixing skills from might, finesse and magic three skill trees. It also had diablo-like loot drop mechanics and a decent crafting system. So basically your character is very customizable. One major strength of this game is actually the combat since it's very flexible on how you want to fight. You can play as a mighty warrior smashing foes with huge hammers, as a powerful mage shooting fireballs and lightening bolts as a stealth rogue backstabbing enemies unnoticed or combine all fighting styles together. the combat action is fast-paced and satisfying no matter what fighting style you choose to play. KoA's fantasy setting is well thought-out but not interesting compare to, say, Skyrim. the quests became quite boring quickly and I end up just not caring about the story anymore after a while. in a word, if you want a rpg to immerse yourself in a fantasy world then KoA is not really a good choice, however if you just want to have some fun, this is the game to play. Expand
  94. Dec 12, 2012
    This game is not bad at all. Lots of fun, predictable storylines, stuff to do, and a good time waster. This reminds me a lot of a cartoon-like Skyrim. The game is shallow, but lots of fun. Downsides? Very dated graphics, unintuitive keyboard mapping. Otherwise, not a bad game, but NOT worth the $59.99 retail price. Buy this on sale.
  95. Dec 8, 2012
    The first area is spectacular, the early parts of the game are incredibly enjoyable. Sadly, it slips into complete boredom. The later parts of the game are incredibly dull and you probably won't find any better equips which are better than what you already have. The last quarter of this game is pretty much pointless I tell you. The final boss battle is easy and boring as well. It is sadThe first area is spectacular, the early parts of the game are incredibly enjoyable. Sadly, it slips into complete boredom. The later parts of the game are incredibly dull and you probably won't find any better equips which are better than what you already have. The last quarter of this game is pretty much pointless I tell you. The final boss battle is easy and boring as well. It is sad because I loved this game until I got fairly near the end. That's only half of it though...the skill system is just abysmal. Half the skills are useless because the others are amillion times better. You want to use the other skills but they suck. And...you can cheat in this game. The only game which lets you easily beat bosses - which already require little skill. That being said, the graphics were good. It's a traditional sort of RPG which is original but comes far from being a remarkable RPG. Expand
  96. Nov 5, 2012
    The game itself was very much enjoyable, minus the jittery camera movements and aside from the fact that the demo itself had to be tweaked a bit to have it work properly.

The numerous weapon types and crafting made the game fun and different, but the Chakrams, in my opinion, were a little too overpowered. I found myself always wanting the use the Chakrams for their range and power. Also, some of the quests are a bit glitchy (i got locked out of a quest building that i couldn't start over, forever having a quest i couldn't complete). On the whole, i loved the game.
  97. Oct 16, 2012
    This is a QUALITY game. I'll be honest, at first glance I thought I'd bought a stinker. The first hour I played it was a mess. The controls (mouse and keyboard) and FOV were awful. After the 'widescreen fixer' add on and key binding to my Razer Naga, it became a legend. Seriously, those who say the FOV is ok should try the widescreen fix. I can't stress the difference it made and kudos toThis is a QUALITY game. I'll be honest, at first glance I thought I'd bought a stinker. The first hour I played it was a mess. The controls (mouse and keyboard) and FOV were awful. After the 'widescreen fixer' add on and key binding to my Razer Naga, it became a legend. Seriously, those who say the FOV is ok should try the widescreen fix. I can't stress the difference it made and kudos to whoever programmed that patch. As for the game, story is nothing special and kinda forgettable. I followed it to a point and then it lost me. Too complex for it's own good. The graphics/gameplay/combat/gear/enemies/musical score are right up there with the best. The combat alone makes this game stand out. I love Skyrim (and no I'm not comparing the two games) but I had a ton more fun playing K of A. I just don't see how/why people are knocking this title? I can only assume they didn't give it a chance. It just gets better and better the more I play it. I'm playing The Old Republic also at the moment and it (TOR) feels like a chore to play in comparison to K of A. There will always be ways to improve any game and it does have a crappy menu system which is a shame. I would give the game a solid 8 out of 10 but will give it 10 out of 10 to equal out the unfair negative reviews. There is no way in this world it deserves anything lower than a 5. Grab the demo and see for yourself. FYI the demo is mainly in a mini dungeon. The bulk of the game takes place in the outside world. Expand
  98. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is a very interesting rpg although there are a lot of problems to it. It has a very interesting campaign, a well designed class progression and skill tree, although nothing we haven't seen before and it's generally an open sandbox game, which gives you a sense of freedom. I also found enjoying the plethora of weapons and fighting styles. On the other hand though, there are a lotThis game is a very interesting rpg although there are a lot of problems to it. It has a very interesting campaign, a well designed class progression and skill tree, although nothing we haven't seen before and it's generally an open sandbox game, which gives you a sense of freedom. I also found enjoying the plethora of weapons and fighting styles. On the other hand though, there are a lot of negative points. First of all, the environment graphics look a bit old and i personally don't like their being cartoony. Furthermore i found out that although there are some interesting quests, most are very simple kill this, go there, kill that, bring me that and so. One of the things that I didn't like at all though, is the camera angle, which get frustrating many times, especially in the middle of fights. Then we have the battles themselves. I have to say that i really enjoyed the rogue player i had, moving out of the way an killing enemies from behind, but then again on the other hand, i can't jump? seriously...?... The customization options were pretty good too. To sum up this is an above average simplified rpg game that manages to do well against competition but not surpass some of the latest rpg giants like skyrim and dragon age Expand
  99. Sep 7, 2012
    Good points: This game is huge, the storyline is passable, the dlc's are big and worth getting if you like the game. Nice character animation during combat.

Bad ponts: The story is PASSABLE, differing character development results in fairly similar gameplay which is largely about spam-clicking the mouse. Game saves can break easilly for no apparent reason perhaps destroying many hours of play/work.

Overall - HUGE and mildly entertaining time sink with unforgivable technical issues (save losses) and a bland storyline
  100. Aug 21, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. I am enjoying the story, and the combat is a lot of fun. Initially playing as a warrior type I started to get annoyed that I was getting interrupted in combat during my combos, I then obtained an ability to prevent that interruption. I like the graphics and the landscapes feel diverse. I haven't had any issues with bugs at all. I like the crafting system andThis is a fantastic game. I am enjoying the story, and the combat is a lot of fun. Initially playing as a warrior type I started to get annoyed that I was getting interrupted in combat during my combos, I then obtained an ability to prevent that interruption. I like the graphics and the landscapes feel diverse. I haven't had any issues with bugs at all. I like the crafting system and fateweaving ( the ability to respec your character completely) allows you to try new builds/play-styles without having to start over the game. Great action RPG! Expand
  101. Feb 7, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning delivers exactly what it promises: a pitch-perfect fantasy RPG, with visceral, intuitive gameplay that is easy to pick up, difficult to master, wildly flexible and just plain fun, in a way that has yet to be seen in the genre. The world is accessible and vast, offering genre fans plenty to sink their teeth into. One gets the sense that they are watching anKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning delivers exactly what it promises: a pitch-perfect fantasy RPG, with visceral, intuitive gameplay that is easy to pick up, difficult to master, wildly flexible and just plain fun, in a way that has yet to be seen in the genre. The world is accessible and vast, offering genre fans plenty to sink their teeth into. One gets the sense that they are watching an entire world unfold before them, one rich with history and lore and life. Amalur opens itself up to the player in a way that is both familiar and refreshing, then empowers the player to do incredible things. 38 Studios and Big Huge Games have created a world worth saving, and they have given us some pretty damn cool tools with which to get the job done. Collapse

1. Apr 5, 2012
    Fast and flashy combat in a shallow fantasy world. For the solo MMO player only. [Apr 2012, p.62]
  2. Mar 27, 2012
    For all the things that don't work well, the exciting combat and deep world make KAR a very worthy game to play. It's a shame Electronic Arts is doing such a poor job of promoting it, as there is enough here to make the foundation of a very solid franchise.
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    Great combat and mountains of loot can't compensate for Amalur's generic world design and familiar story. [May 2012, p.72]