9.3

1. Aug 17, 2010
    The base concept of moving from area to area killing hordes of zombies is nothing new. How they go about making it is remarkable, however. The game forces teamwork and with the help of the ai director you can play this game over and over and over and almost never have two similar situations. Defiantly a groundbreaking achievement in the gaming world.
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    Okay gentlemen, what you see here is a FPS zombie killing game that is actually addictive and entertaining (and funny) at the same time. "Left 4 Dead" made me play the single player and the multi player for hours and hours non-stop. The single player, inspired by movie scenarios, is very innovative and fun. The multiplayer is also a big hit for the game. With 3 other partners, you can go out and whoop those **** zombies anytime!! A great must-play!! Hurray for Valve!!!!

Note: The game gets boring after a few months.
  3. Dec 30, 2010
    The game is amazing. Great Graphics and the increasing hordes makes the game very addicting as well as zombies being in different places each time you play the campaigns. Great game with nice weapons. I recommend it!
  4. Oct 11, 2010
    If you have a few friends that are willing to get this game with you, you must try it. This game can be a lot of fun. In my case only if I play with friends.
  5. Oct 8, 2012
    best zombie game ever! the characters, the zombie models, the special infected, the co up, the versus! all so fun! i always wanted a game which had easily killed zombies but still had to use team work to survive, probebly the best co up game i can think of in the moment, nope its the best i know!
  6. Dec 4, 2010
    Don't play the game if you are light-hearted, have heart disease, or don't like zombies that jump on to you. Because this game is one of the scariest zombie games I've ever had to play. But it is shear fun just to shoot the crap out of the zombies. And the best part is? They keep coming and you just keep on shooting. Nice, right? Check this game out right away. I regret not playing this earlier.
  7. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    This game was such a blast when it came out! It's now been superseded by L4D2, which is even better, but I still rate this as one of the best games of all times.
  8. Jul 7, 2011
    Ten hours played and only a few times was it any enjoyable, the rest was ruined by a bunch of a-holes. Try to go through a few games without encountering someone that'll complain and whine about their team while they run ahead of the pack solo.
  9. Oct 27, 2011
    The only original zombie game. I can proudly say that I've squandered several years of my life playing this game. Unfortunately Valve appears to have abandoned this game after releasing Left 4 Dead 2 (which for the most part does indeed suck many a scrotilia).
  10. Sep 24, 2010
    This game has all of the basic elements that a shooter should have and more. It gives the hardcore a mode, the director is one of the smartest ever created and it's cheap right now. Left 4 Dead is probably the best zombie shooter ever. Yet. I hope that Valve can release even more great games.
  11. Sep 25, 2010
    It is the best game in the world! In it there is all - Replaying, fascination, she class, interesting. I say thank big to developers! In Russia game costs 600 roubles - the real price for such game! First a part of game much more interesting - she interesting and characters is more attractive than the second part better...
    All I shall advise to get this game, you will not regret cent, you
    will be keen in this game for a long time and if you have friends - that tell and let they will buy it, they will not regret! Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2010
    Zombie games aren't exactly in a famine these days. With so many games focusing on surviving against zombies, it can be hard to pick any good games from the crowd. But with Left 4 Dead, I believe all other games have just been blown out of the water. In L4D, you play as one of four survivors- Bill, Francis, Zoey, or Louis. Each has their own little back story and their own personality, something that helps you connect. Like Francis, who hates stairs, helicopters, zombies, walking, and generally anything and everything. There are multiple campaigns in the game, each with a different set of locales and atmospheres. Like the first campaign, No Mercy, which has you moving through a city to rendezvous on a hospital skyscraper rooftop. Each campaign is broken into chapters, which have you getting from the start area to a safehouse. At the last chapter, you face a thing called a finale, where you get a bunch of supplies, an area to hole out in, and a trigger to start it. When you activate the trigger, a massive horde of zombies rush at you. And the game features a "Director," who controls how the chapter is going. For example, you might hole out in a parking lot in one area and defend against a wave of zombies using gas canisters in one playthrough, and maybe the next the canisters won't be there and the zombies will come from behind. And killing zombies in this game is FUN. You start out with a single pistol, and can pick up an smg or a shotgun. Later in a chapter you find upgraded weapons, which are a hunting rifle, an auto shotgun, and an assault rifle. The game gets pretty gory when using a shotgun or hunting rifle, as headshots will take zombie heads clean off and shotgun blasts will tear off limbs. If you like FPS games, or zombie games, this is the game for you. Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2010
    Amazingly fun game. Buy it NOW! It is very fun survival mode and versus mode, and you can play with friends and just have a good time blowing zombiw hordes apart! What more do you want?
  14. Mar 26, 2011
    L4D is a "Co-Op" Game. Not like those other Co-Op titles where your team is a bunch of galooting **** making no difference when you leave the group and finish the level on yourown.

This gmae says "NO! I'm going to have boss-battles that prevent you from splitting up because they stun-lock you into poistions stopping you from moving and getting your **** chopped off and you need your team
    to help!" What's weird is that if this was tried in any other FPS/Co-Op game, it would fail, Recklessley, but here it runs smoothly and perfectly.

You have hord attracting zombies, leaving you to the mercy of your team.
    You have the hit and runners, causing your team to quickly get it off you and kill it before it strikes again, ECT ECT.

Half of the time you'll be walking back and forth, and occasionally sitting down on a box in a locked cupboard because you died. Whenever you die you're sent to a small cupboard where you must wait....and wait... and wait...Weaponless and itemless waiting for your team to help.

True survival horror Crowd Based madness.
    However it gets a bit repetetive though, but maps are often updates/added, so they're basically spoon-feeding you the same thing but with a different flavour.

Worth the $12 dollars on steam.
  15. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead is an awesome game and the only classic I have seen in a while. The story is about four survivors who are stranded in a town struck by the T-viru-, I mean a horrible infection which turned the citizens into zombies. Louis, Francis, Bill and Zoey are amazing characters that you will certainly grow to love and everytime we start playing the game we end up in a fight over who get's to play which awesome character. The story is mostly told through graffiti on the walls left there by other survivors and very subtle elements such as covered up bodies or piles of infected. The only downside is that the story of the survivors doesn't really make sense. At the end of every chapter you get saved from the city and at the beginning of every chapter you are standed again. That is the only reason this game does not get a full 10!

The gameplay is the best part because this game is endlessly replayable. The goal is to fight through the infected and make it to the next safehouse, in the final part of each mission you will have to wait for rescue while thousands of zombies try to kill you. Thanks to the AI Director who decides where zombies, items and special infected spawn the game is never same twice and the difficulty is adjusted to your playstyle. The special infected also force you to adapt to a new situation very quickly, so you can't just mow through the infected alone because you will be picked off. This game perfectly enforces teamwork and you can replay it at any time, that is a true multiplayer game and a true classic.

Finally, I also want to mention the presentation. A lot of effort has gone into making the city and everything that happens look as realistic as possible. There is never a moment that you will spend in a place you can't relate to and that is just amazing. The music is also awesome and like the AI Director it is different for each playthrough and each player hears a different song.

Summary: Great game which you can replay at any time without getting bored. Story fails to connect events to each other, but the presentation easily makes you forget about that.
  16. Mar 29, 2013
    I'll never forget that feeling the night I bought this game and played it for the first time. It was magic. A co-op zombie shooter with many twists and turns and a "Director" to alter the game every time it was played. How could a gamer pass that up? Good weapons, character development, graphics and a zombie apocalypse atmosphere.
  17. Sep 27, 2012
    The main problem is finding reliable teammates. Hunters and smokers (special zombies) can render one character completely useless, so if you're playing a 4v4 online and they have 3 hunters and 1 smoker, they can orchestrate their attack well enough that it will disable everyone on your team. It is very frustrating to sit there and watch your character go from 100 health to dead while your teammates run around like chickens with their heads cutoff. Otherwise it is exciting, scary, and fun. Expand
  18. Oct 2, 2011
    I was pretty excited for this game till i played it. Its not bad, it has fun mechanics and multiplayer. id rather play a differnt multiplayer game, i dont see the point in buying this game if u already got day of defeat, counterstrike 2 or team fortress 2. Just like most zombie games its hugley overrated and has nothing memorable about it. But if you like shooting zombies then buy it but you may get bored after the first month or 2 Expand
  19. Apr 27, 2013
    Left 4 Dead set a standard for online gaming. It's” team survival” feature is fantastic and innovative. Many newer games have adopted this idea for their multiplayer features. My other 3 companions are almost always bots, and Left 4 Dead’s surprisingly decent AI offers a satisfying single player experience. Unfortunately, the other features, such as the “Versus” or “Survival” never appealed to me. But in the game’s defense, I never gave these other features much of a chance. This is because I was always glued to the regular campaigns and never directed my attention elsewhere. I strongly recommend this to all gamers out there. If you like FPSs and multiplayer, then this game will undoubtedly meet your standards. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead offers the greatest multiplayer experience with strangers so far. Even if you do not like FPS games, or western zombie culture with its pretentious assertion that it all represents something else a little bit deeper, I warrant youâ
  21. Sep 5, 2011
    Still a headliner when it comes to great FPS with co-op, there's no real point having this one when you can get L4D2 as cheap with all L4D1's content now ported by Valve as free dlcs.
  22. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game for its time. I played this with friends when I was younger and I really enjoyed myself. It was just one of those games everyone had at the time and everyone would play. I think it's one of the better zombie games out there, if not the role-model for a lot of them.
  23. Jun 17, 2011
    It's technically the same as the Xbox 360 version except it feels like there's so much more you can do with it, especially since you can download unique modded maps made by other players. It's rare that I think a game is better on the PC than it is on a console like the Xbox 360, but this is a perfect example of a game that is.
  24. Sep 14, 2011
    This game is flawless! The game play just seems more smoother then in Left 4 Dead 2 and the characters are more attractive Bill a Vietnam vet, Francis the Chopper dude, Louis a successful black man and Zoey a pretty young girl that loves zombie movies.. I would give it a 10 but the game lacks more weapons, more types of zombies, more items, ect that Left 4 Dead 2 provides. Besides those minor things I just can't seem the explain why I feel Left 4 Dead 1 is better. Also the thirdpersonshoulder mode works in L4D1. It is bugged in L4D2 and was never fixed. Expand
  25. Aug 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the main concept, the charachters and like the game itself. The modified Source engine is really impressive and it has a great graphics. But til the end of the map it is sometimes pretty boring and your teammates really stupid. But at the end of the map there is always a huge ambush and if you want to use the "leave no man behind" rule, you simply die. Expand
  26. Jun 30, 2011
    I got this game after my boyfriend recommended it for me. It was my first zombie and shooting game I have ever had. As a girl I typically thought first that the game is boring and stupid. But I was definitely wrong! Visual look, background music and sound effects are cool. And I like that l4d has special zombies and requires teamwork! The more the merrier, right? This is one of those games which you play hours and hours a day, may get bored with it, but always come back for more. Expand
  27. Jul 15, 2011
    I'm still playing this, still, my friends and I still have LAN's, just for this game. It is possibly the perfect co-op game ever made. Buy it, play it, if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you.
  28. Sep 8, 2011
    An amazing game that started the whole zombie survival horror boom. Valve proved beyond doubt that they are masters of quality. Play with friends if you can.
  29. Sep 20, 2011
    The best bot-massive horror FPS ever made ! Obviously I'm not even comparing it to the second version, but it really is a little something ! Obviously there are some things to be improved like the Aim, the Weapons, The Zombie Inteligence and the way zombies appear.
  30. Jun 6, 2012
    Having not played a zombie shooter before (except for COD zombies on the iPad), it was with some nervousness that I bought Left 4 dead on Steam not really knowing what to expect. Thankfully, I can say that Left 4 Dead is one of the best multiplayer games I've played in years. Communication with other players becomes more vital and you inevitably build up a connection with the characters and other players. If you're into co-op or if you just like Valve games, then this is a must buy: although if you're sensitive to gore or prefer a densely packed narrative then you might want to give this one a miss. As for me, the AI director and co-op has kept me playing for more than thirty hours despite its insubstantiality. Expand
  31. May 11, 2012
    Overall one of the best games ever made, and pretty much evolved the zombie genre to a point towards even making Resident Evil run for its money when it comes down to zombie genre games. Left 4 Dead will leave you with excitement and suspense which you will more than likely be talking about for a long time, along with that the fact its a Steam game and from valve, expect it to have a lot of PC content exclusives such as Achievements, constant upgrades and unofficial mods. To make it better, Left 4 Dead 2 comes packed with this game as well when you purchase it! Expand
  32. Nov 25, 2011
    It's a shame this game's community is nearly non existent now since Left 4 Dead 2 replaced it, but in it's time it gave me hundred's of hours of FUN. This game just has such a high replay-ability, it just never got boring for me. Playing this with friends just makes the experience even more enjoyable. 10/10
  33. Nov 29, 2011
    Absolutely amazing zombie game that reminds me of the movie 28 days later. The only way to improve this game would have been to add various routes, and more weapons. If you want to get the most out of left 4 dead, play online with friends, single player gets boring.
  34. Dec 13, 2011
    Funnest single/multiplayer/co-op zombie game you'll ever play! Play with your friends: 4 vs 4: humans vs infected. Also if you know where to look there are some incredibly fun servers with different and personalized game modes. This game never fails to amaze unless you have a useless tool on your team. The only bad thing I have to say is not about the game itself but the developers, for releasing L4D2 way too soon and reducing the attention that this game deserved. Expand
  35. Dec 20, 2011
    Goddamn this game and the hours and hours and hours it has stolen from my life. And the sequel. It's all so ridiculously simple - point, shoot, run ad nauseum - that by rights I should not still have this game installed on my machine. Don't know why but a few years on, I still find myself logging on an doing a quick campaign. It is the ultimate co-op straightforward "get-to-safety" survival horror game going. I think the endless appeal has to be with the 'AI Director' that changes the intensity, placement and frequency of zombie and special infected attacks. Everytime you play, it's all so familiar, yet completely different. If I do have one criticism though, it's the zombies themselves. I mean, how can they all be so samey! Expand
  36. Dec 29, 2011
    Excelent game, I am giving a 9 only because the 10 belongs to the second release of Left 4 Dead, since the only thing this game was failing at is some bugs inside it and the poor hand to hand combat weapons, both upgraded in the second release.
  37. Jan 3, 2012
    Few games even make the effort to enforce teamwork. To most in the modern shooter genre, a team is just a bunch of loners with guns who can't kill each other, going up against a dozen or so loners with guns with the same constraints. Valve has a habit of challenging this, and the end result is Left 4 Dead, a game that not only requires you to work as a team, but outright beats you over the head with how helpless you are alone in this atmospheric, tense, tactical, intense, and, at times, hilarious zombie apocalypse. The characters and the hours of dialog alone are worth the buy, and don't even get me started on the fun and frustration that awaits you in the versus mode. You can play as the infected too! Alone, it's a damn good game and packs at least a hundred hours of gameplay, but its little brother quickly blew past in both the community and the developer's eyes. Before then, the limits such as weapon selection and special enemies didn't exist. But who can pass up mentioning akimbo assassin, probably one of the most fun achievements available in modern shooters, and the plane crash in Dead Air. Truly classic. Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2012
    Left 4 Dead est pour moi, le meilleur jeu de coopération. Il nécessite beaucoup de stratégie et de reflex pour jouer en Versus. Mais je ne le conseille pas à ceux qui ont une mauvaise connection ou aux débutant de ce genre pour jouer en versus
  39. Feb 8, 2012
    Why didn't they think of this before? It's brilliant to force the teamwork this way and keep the game fresh by changing things every play through. Extremely highly recommended buy.
  40. Mar 6, 2012
    I purchase 1 and 2 together, and I run 1 first. However, it can't even display anything on my screen. Then I play left 4 dead 2, and there is very little fun, so I decided to delete both of left 4 dead 1 and 2...Now I regret my purchase...
  41. Mar 3, 2012
    For fans of the traditional LAN party, rejoice, for now there is a game built from the ground up for co-op! Just make sure your friends sign a contract to say they'll continue to play this game for the next couple of years or so to get your money's worth! :)
  42. Apr 13, 2012
    I love this game and the people who made it. Once again Valve has created a master piece of a game. This game has fun campaigns very good survival mode which you fight off a ton of zombies and last as long as you can. Versus mode is were up to eight players play, four players the humans and four the mutated ZOMBIES. Yes the mutated zombies like hunters,smokers and boomers [MY FAV]. Or just play with people online up to four players. Also you can play with up to three of your friend with any mode. Campaigns 9/10 Survival mode 8/10 Versus 8/10 Left 4 Dead 8.9/10 Expand
  43. Mar 21, 2013
    Single player is a frustrating affair having to rely on a dumb A.I. to get you out of special attacks. Plus A.I. team members will not carry any missile weapons or help in mission orientated tasks. Atmosphere of the game is quite good at times but the tongue in cheek banter between the characters is too light for the end of the world type of game.
  44. Oct 26, 2012
    Okay, so maybe Left 4 Dead doesn't have the deepest plot. But if you're not looking for anything particularly engaging and enthralling, and simply want to unload as many bullets as possible into fast moving targets who are hungry for you, Left 4 Dead is a great game, especially if you have some friends to help you survive through the bullet riddled repetition.
  45. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is pretty decent.not better than resident evil.the pros.1.gory.2.partners3.variety of wepons.4.lots of running zombies. Cons. 1.unrealistic with unlimited ammo.2.no scenes or other survivors.3.no that good graphics.4.no suspense,because samething happens all the time.other than that it was ok.
  46. Jul 5, 2013
    i bought it yesterday and i didnt had fun with this game,this is the first time i am not enjoying a valve game.
    the graphics are horrible the gameplay isnt fun.but........ if you want to play a good zombie game i bought with this game the sequel(left 4 dead 2)and that is an amazing game.
    both game are 5 dollars on steam so if you want to enjoy from a good zombie game buy the bundle of
    the 2 games on steam it costs 7 dollars. Expand
  47. Dec 17, 2012
    An immersive co-op zombie apocalypse with a natural story telling method. Effectively creates tense atmosphere with dense environments & environmental effects, varied & believable environments ranging from an airport to a farm, and a memorable musical cue system for when zombies attack. My major gripe is the lack of post-release support considering the developer. Sadly, the community for this and it's sequel are really bad and you will need a group of 4 friends if you want to play this. Although relatively short, this is an outstanding co-op experience and is still worth picking up if your friends are playing it. Expand
  48. Jan 29, 2013
    i love this game!!! its awesome, humorous, jumpy, challenging and addictive!!! i love it :) best thing: getting a head shot on the witch with the shot gun :) i love francis just for the fact that he doesn't give a f**k :) i could play this game over and over again and i would still be just as entertained :D equally i love the 2nd game just as much. i just wish Valve would make a Left For Dead 3 O.o Expand
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    Left 4 Dead has proved itself why it is the best co-op game there is. Not just it offers incredible game play, and a chance to become a Special Infected, it also makes teammates actually communicate and work together. Going Rambo is not a smart choice in this game-if the horde does not finish you off, then that Hunter on the prowl might........
  50. ERB
    Nov 15, 2013
    One of the best games I played in the PC.This game is great and it really does feel like a zombie survival game because you need cooperation in this game because if you are like in a situation that all of your team mates are dead and you are still alive you are likely to die because a zombie called hunter will just get you and then he will kill you or a smoker because a smoker ties you in the tongue and then he will kill you.Left 4 Dead is probably one of the best games that Valve developed.The game play in this game is fun and I'm telling you this game is fun so all of you people who loves a fun game you should buy this.The multiplayer in this game is also fun.You can choose whether you want to be an infected like The Boomer,The Smoker,The Hunter,or even better the strongest zombie in the game The Tank.Or you can choose to be a survivor which is Bill a military soldier,or Francis an awesome biker,or Louis the pills addict,or Zoey she is I don't know a teenager.This game is fun.So all of you people reading my review you should buy this game for this game is fun.One of the best games ever! Expand
  51. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Watch out for the Incredible Purple Hulk (you’ll see what I mean!)

Play L4D at your peril! This game is completely addictive at least it is for me. Shooting zombies is just so much fun, especially when it’s made possible by such a well-crafted game. The premise is very simple: you and three fellow survivors have to make your way from one safe house to another until you are finally
    rescued. Along the way you have to fight off hordes of slavering zombies. In single player mode the AI is pretty good, although your teammates don’t always behave as you might wish them to during the incredibly hectic campaign finales. There are 4 campaigns with 5 maps to each one. Replay value is good due to the fact that the AI changes the zombie attacks and spawn points with each play, so you never know where the horde is going to come flooding from or where the bosses are lurking. When you get bored with the maps supplied there are loads of 3rd party maps and campaigns available on the web. On top of all this you can even play as one the various types of zombies (on a random basis). Personally I find this less satisfying, but it is worth a go just to get the other perspective. This is a simple but truly great game. L4D2 here I come! Expand
  52. Jun 11, 2013
    The game is nothing special at all, It is very good, the story its absolutely horrible, and the game play is good, the graphics aren't that great. The game is actually based in multyplayer so lets talk about that, I like it but the only thing you can do its just CREATE or JOIN a server and play... the game, shooting zombies with online players. a thing that i enjoy in this game is the fact of it forces you play by teamwork which is really bad at single player but i don't really even care about single player. You have mutation (very original) also enjoyed the mutation then you have Realism... I don't understand what are they getting at with the realism thing, is it for pro players that want to play it at the maximum difficulty? Or just really really hard to pass? for that they have expert, and why would players that want to play high difficult games would play Left 4 Dead 2? I don't know, its very boring to pass the adventure part, and at multyplayer why would you even want to play expert at multyplayer? Actually Multyplayer really bores me in this game that's why i don't give a very good review, However, i don't rate it Very bad just because of the mutation section and, also, a thing that i act really interesting that i think it made this game worth to buy, Versus. The fact that you can be a monster in a zombie game it's cool, and specially playing ONLINE against the real characters of the game and the ONLINE zombies. The fact that you're playing against a zombie that's a online player it really really enjoys me. It's not good not bad, I had really great times with this game but i also had really great time with another games that are so much better then this one... So i don't really think its a ''awesome'' game. Expand
  53. Sep 6, 2013
    Excellent co-op multiplayer game where players are required to team up to actually win unlike many other "coops". However it's biggest flaw is the community where players are not punished for leaving games thus having lots of leavers when things start to go bad for a particular team. Much better than the sequal game that was released shortly after this one.
  54. Oct 1, 2013
    This is a great FPS multiplayer game. It is very addicting while playing online. This games giant downfall is the stupidity of the AI while playing single player. They get very frustrating, at times just standing around when you get pounced by a Hunter or tied up by a Smoker. This game needs to be played online to experience the best of this game.
  55. Oct 25, 2013
    Decent zombie game. Most playable with friends you actually know over live chat. Cause the L4D community has many people trolling. Non the less ,the different campaigns you can download from the modding community, will make it up to you. Its an solid shooter ,but it starts lacking of replay value after few hundred hours.
  56. Nov 24, 2013
    Comparing to the L4D2, this one is a little weak in weapon and infected diversities. But overall it's a great game for co-op. Also the VS mode is greeeeeaaaaat! Love acting as a zombie!
  57. Jan 22, 2014
    Un gran juego de zombis donde cooperar y entenderse forma parte de la victoria, es divertido y entretenido. El juego engancha mucho la verdad pero a lo largo de las misiones éstas se vuelven repetitivas, siempre es hacer lo mismo y los enemigos finales siempre son los mismos, por lo demas, gráficos, doblaje al español y jugabilidad el juego es muy bueno, por ello lo recomiendo sin lugar a dudas. Expand

There's absolutely no doubt that Left 4 Dead is one of the most social and exciting multiplayer games that we've ever played. It's almost pitch perfect in how it captures the tension and the action of a Hollywood zombie movie.
    The inventive and highly entertaining competitive multiplayer mode just adds to the experience, and we're looking forward to seeing what Valve's got planned for the game's future. Out of all the titles that have shaped the Year of Living Cooperatively, this may be the best experience of them all.
    One of the finest zombie games ever made, and one of the finest co-op games ever made. The potential for everything to go so, so wrong without warning, or conversely to pull off the most spectacular escapes against all odds, means this is an online shooter you can tell your finest anecdotes about without boring everyone else to tears.