Left 4 Dead PC

9.2

1. scotd
    Jan 1, 2010
    what do you get when you mix: -four friends -five campagnes -4 game modes -8 weapons -an ai that actualy populates the level as you progres -and a whole buttload of zombies? you get the most replayble game ever made, you can easily spend 20-40 hours on this game just play the base four campagne, and that not includeing the dlc and user created content for pc!
  2. StuartR
    Jan 21, 2010
    Fun, realistic zombie movie experience... way too hard when using single player though - the bots are just not smart enough....
  3. J.Midnight
    Jan 25, 2010
    Zombies, Guns and Online Co-Op. That's all this game really is. Though it may be a very, very simple premise; Left 4 Dead is an outstandingly enjoyable game. Not a true 10 only for one reason. NO STORY. Simply put: THIS IS NO SINGLE PLAYER GAME. To truly enjoy this you need an active Internet connection. While many will see this as a fault, this is an inspired move. As Left 4 Dead Zombies, Guns and Online Co-Op. That's all this game really is. Though it may be a very, very simple premise; Left 4 Dead is an outstandingly enjoyable game. Not a true 10 only for one reason. NO STORY. Simply put: THIS IS NO SINGLE PLAYER GAME. To truly enjoy this you need an active Internet connection. While many will see this as a fault, this is an inspired move. As Left 4 Dead has only one goal in mind and that is replayability. Thus, the total lack of ending helps create and bring that one fact home: every time you play, every time you pick up your pistol, every night you will spend playing this game over and over and over is a new and horrifying experience. No Way Around it: Fun Fun Fun. Expand
  4. mmaas
    Jan 20, 2010
    DAVID N you have any idea what you are talking about?? metacritics please remove his comment this is a AWESOME GAME and its no mods
  5. RomanO
    Jan 8, 2010
    Video killed the radio star. Very sad but what had to be an expansion for L4D, but became L4D2 killed this game. Why Valve? :(
  6. IanGrahame
    Jan 8, 2009
    I find it humorous that so many idiots were so very compelled to come here and give 'Left 4 Dead' a 0 to "contradict the other reviews." What kind empty, pathetic lives do you lead? Anyway, as I've sort of hinted, discount the "0's" in here. (Hey, even the one guy admitted "would have given this game a 6-7 out of 10" but he apparently had to "balance out all the other I find it humorous that so many idiots were so very compelled to come here and give 'Left 4 Dead' a 0 to "contradict the other reviews." What kind empty, pathetic lives do you lead? Anyway, as I've sort of hinted, discount the "0's" in here. (Hey, even the one guy admitted "would have given this game a 6-7 out of 10" but he apparently had to "balance out all the other guys." 'Left 4 Dead' is a masterful shooter. The gameplay is terrifically intense, yes, there are only four "movies" to play through, each one has tremendous replayability. It changes each and every time it is played. The music is just awesome. Incredibly ominous stuff, that. And though the the number of movies is certainly a flaw, it is absolutely NOT a reason to pass by 'Left 4 Dead'. This is the closest we're gonna get to an actual zombie apocalypse. Probably :) Expand
  7. AnonymousOne
    Dec 31, 2009
    How can anything this simple and repetitive be so entertaining? I stopped asking myself that question after the first hour. Left4Dead has become one of my all time favorite Source games.
  8. DaanB
    May 27, 2009
    This is such an awesome zombie shooting game, a wicked combo of slow zombies, fast runnin zombies, and some special zombies ! :D it rox ! if you love shooting / wasting / burning zombies, this is your game!
  9. MagnusT
    Jan 23, 2010
    I have one...rather huge beef with this game. The happy part is, it's not a problem that has been caused by the game itself. However, this problem is so huge and towering as to block out the sun. The game itself and everything about it easily earn the 9 I am giving it. However, the brutal fact that a healthy portion of its online players are quite possibly the scum of the earth, the I have one...rather huge beef with this game. The happy part is, it's not a problem that has been caused by the game itself. However, this problem is so huge and towering as to block out the sun. The game itself and everything about it easily earn the 9 I am giving it. However, the brutal fact that a healthy portion of its online players are quite possibly the scum of the earth, the evolutionary low, the creations that God shudders at when he realizes he created them, can really wear on the more serious players. I am trying not to be a whiny hater noob about this. I get 1st place on every chapter, literally 9/10 times I play, no matter what difficulty, in all of the important aspects. Despite this fact, in almost every match I've ever played, there has always been, at bare minimum, one incredibly anti-social sadist who wants to ruin the experience. Every. Single. Time. If this were a PvP/TvT FPS, I wouldn't care. People will be posturing lunatics in such games as CoD4 or FEAR2 or CS:S or whatever...but seriously? Can you even pretend to care about a team? If you are not one of those people and you don't want to deal with the infinite stream of madmen, idiots and TKers, skip this one. If you ARE one of the above, please...PLEASE, for the love of God, don't buy this game. Leave us serious people in peace so we can actually have fun playing this game with people who actually give a second crap about playing with a half-sane team. Expand
  10. AndrewG.
    Nov 18, 2008
    This game is absolutely perfect! The graphics on the source engine have been drastically improved from previous games, the faces and characters look almost identical to that of new engines like Cryengine 2! This game relies completely on teamwork, a concept many FPS games often lack. There is more strategy in the game than you think, particularly in Versus mode.
  11. FredB
    Dec 15, 2009
    It is such a awesomem game graphic wise and violence wise because the whole world has the full violence version and the game hardly gets boring.
  12. SteveL.
    Dec 18, 2009
    I love this game.
  13. HenriM
    Dec 29, 2009
    Great game. This game has exellent graphics and gameplay, it doesn't have much of a story, and I admit it gets a bit boring after a while. It is very amusing too. Not all people in multiplayer are jerks, you might even make friends. And if you people complain it's too easy, try other difficulties, it gets less boring that way aswell.
  14. TenzinD
    Dec 18, 2009
    its the best zombie game ever i cant wait to the left 4 dead 2
  15. Sep 24, 2010
    This game has all of the basic elements that a shooter should have and more. It gives the hardcore a mode, the director is one of the smartest ever created and it's cheap right now. Left 4 Dead is probably the best zombie shooter ever. Yet. I hope that Valve can release even more great games.
  16. Sep 25, 2010
    It is the best game in the world! In it there is all - Replaying, fascination, she class, interesting. I say thank big to developers! In Russia game costs 600 roubles - the real price for such game! First a part of game much more interesting - she interesting and characters is more attractive than the second part better...
    All I shall advise to get this game, you will not regret cent, you
    All I shall advise to get this game, you will not regret cent, you will be keen in this game for a long time and if you have friends - that tell and let they will buy it, they will not regret!
  17. Oct 9, 2010
    Zombie games aren't exactly in a famine these days. With so many games focusing on surviving against zombies, it can be hard to pick any good games from the crowd. But with Left 4 Dead, I believe all other games have just been blown out of the water. In L4D, you play as one of four survivors- Bill, Francis, Zoey, or Louis. Each has their own little back story and their own personality,Zombie games aren't exactly in a famine these days. With so many games focusing on surviving against zombies, it can be hard to pick any good games from the crowd. But with Left 4 Dead, I believe all other games have just been blown out of the water. In L4D, you play as one of four survivors- Bill, Francis, Zoey, or Louis. Each has their own little back story and their own personality, something that helps you connect. Like Francis, who hates stairs, helicopters, zombies, walking, and generally anything and everything. There are multiple campaigns in the game, each with a different set of locales and atmospheres. Like the first campaign, No Mercy, which has you moving through a city to rendezvous on a hospital skyscraper rooftop. Each campaign is broken into chapters, which have you getting from the start area to a safehouse. At the last chapter, you face a thing called a finale, where you get a bunch of supplies, an area to hole out in, and a trigger to start it. When you activate the trigger, a massive horde of zombies rush at you. And the game features a "Director," who controls how the chapter is going. For example, you might hole out in a parking lot in one area and defend against a wave of zombies using gas canisters in one playthrough, and maybe the next the canisters won't be there and the zombies will come from behind. And killing zombies in this game is FUN. You start out with a single pistol, and can pick up an smg or a shotgun. Later in a chapter you find upgraded weapons, which are a hunting rifle, an auto shotgun, and an assault rifle. The game gets pretty gory when using a shotgun or hunting rifle, as headshots will take zombie heads clean off and shotgun blasts will tear off limbs. If you like FPS games, or zombie games, this is the game for you. Expand
  18. Dec 14, 2010
    Amazingly fun game. Buy it NOW! It is very fun survival mode and versus mode, and you can play with friends and just have a good time blowing zombiw hordes apart! What more do you want?
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    I'll never forget that feeling the night I bought this game and played it for the first time. It was magic. A co-op zombie shooter with many twists and turns and a "Director" to alter the game every time it was played. How could a gamer pass that up? Good weapons, character development, graphics and a zombie apocalypse atmosphere.
  20. Dec 30, 2010
    The game is amazing. Great Graphics and the increasing hordes makes the game very addicting as well as zombies being in different places each time you play the campaigns. Great game with nice weapons. I recommend it!
  21. Oct 8, 2012
    best zombie game ever! the characters, the zombie models, the special infected, the co up, the versus! all so fun! i always wanted a game which had easily killed zombies but still had to use team work to survive, probebly the best co up game i can think of in the moment, nope its the best i know!
  22. Aug 17, 2010
    The base concept of moving from area to area killing hordes of zombies is nothing new. How they go about making it is remarkable, however. The game forces teamwork and with the help of the ai director you can play this game over and over and over and almost never have two similar situations. Defiantly a groundbreaking achievement in the gaming world.
  23. Oct 11, 2010
    If you have a few friends that are willing to get this game with you, you must try it. This game can be a lot of fun. In my case only if I play with friends.
  24. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    This game was such a blast when it came out! It's now been superseded by L4D2, which is even better, but I still rate this as one of the best games of all times.
  25. Oct 27, 2011
    The only original zombie game. I can proudly say that I've squandered several years of my life playing this game. Unfortunately Valve appears to have abandoned this game after releasing Left 4 Dead 2 (which for the most part does indeed suck many a scrotilia).
  26. AnthonPH
    Dec 9, 2009
    Gee...this game is best of I play in my life, abundance in zombies, good guns, and inspirade in the movie of George Romero, not can be better!!!!
  27. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead is an awesome game and the only classic I have seen in a while. The story is about four survivors who are stranded in a town struck by the T-viru-, I mean a horrible infection which turned the citizens into zombies. Louis, Francis, Bill and Zoey are amazing characters that you will certainly grow to love and everytime we start playing the game we end up in a fight over whoLeft 4 Dead is an awesome game and the only classic I have seen in a while. The story is about four survivors who are stranded in a town struck by the T-viru-, I mean a horrible infection which turned the citizens into zombies. Louis, Francis, Bill and Zoey are amazing characters that you will certainly grow to love and everytime we start playing the game we end up in a fight over who get's to play which awesome character. The story is mostly told through graffiti on the walls left there by other survivors and very subtle elements such as covered up bodies or piles of infected. The only downside is that the story of the survivors doesn't really make sense. At the end of every chapter you get saved from the city and at the beginning of every chapter you are standed again. That is the only reason this game does not get a full 10!

The gameplay is the best part because this game is endlessly replayable. The goal is to fight through the infected and make it to the next safehouse, in the final part of each mission you will have to wait for rescue while thousands of zombies try to kill you. Thanks to the AI Director who decides where zombies, items and special infected spawn the game is never same twice and the difficulty is adjusted to your playstyle. The special infected also force you to adapt to a new situation very quickly, so you can't just mow through the infected alone because you will be picked off. This game perfectly enforces teamwork and you can replay it at any time, that is a true multiplayer game and a true classic.

Finally, I also want to mention the presentation. A lot of effort has gone into making the city and everything that happens look as realistic as possible. There is never a moment that you will spend in a place you can't relate to and that is just amazing. The music is also awesome and like the AI Director it is different for each playthrough and each player hears a different song.

Summary: Great game which you can replay at any time without getting bored. Story fails to connect events to each other, but the presentation easily makes you forget about that.
  28. Dec 4, 2010
    Don't play the game if you are light-hearted, have heart disease, or don't like zombies that jump on to you. Because this game is one of the scariest zombie games I've ever had to play. But it is shear fun just to shoot the crap out of the zombies. And the best part is? They keep coming and you just keep on shooting. Nice, right? Check this game out right away. I regret not playing this earlier.
  29. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead offers the greatest multiplayer experience with strangers so far. Even if you do not like FPS games, or western zombie culture with its pretentious assertion that it all represents something else a little bit deeper, I warrant youâ
  30. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game for its time. I played this with friends when I was younger and I really enjoyed myself. It was just one of those games everyone had at the time and everyone would play. I think it's one of the better zombie games out there, if not the role-model for a lot of them.
  31. Jun 17, 2011
    It's technically the same as the Xbox 360 version except it feels like there's so much more you can do with it, especially since you can download unique modded maps made by other players. It's rare that I think a game is better on the PC than it is on a console like the Xbox 360, but this is a perfect example of a game that is.
  32. Jun 30, 2011
    I got this game after my boyfriend recommended it for me. It was my first zombie and shooting game I have ever had. As a girl I typically thought first that the game is boring and stupid. But I was definitely wrong! Visual look, background music and sound effects are cool. And I like that l4d has special zombies and requires teamwork! The more the merrier, right? This is one of those gamesI got this game after my boyfriend recommended it for me. It was my first zombie and shooting game I have ever had. As a girl I typically thought first that the game is boring and stupid. But I was definitely wrong! Visual look, background music and sound effects are cool. And I like that l4d has special zombies and requires teamwork! The more the merrier, right? This is one of those games which you play hours and hours a day, may get bored with it, but always come back for more. Expand
  33. Jul 15, 2011
    I'm still playing this, still, my friends and I still have LAN's, just for this game. It is possibly the perfect co-op game ever made. Buy it, play it, if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you.
  34. Feb 8, 2012
    Why didn't they think of this before? It's brilliant to force the teamwork this way and keep the game fresh by changing things every play through. Extremely highly recommended buy.
    Nov 20, 2008
    Best game of 2008, kinda short, but thanks to the AI Director every game just doesn't feels like the other, even when you play the same map over and over again... Looks like everybody who bought it is way too busy to comment about it here by now, kinda underrated by critics... it deserves a better score than 89.
  36. MichaelK.
    Apr 20, 2009
    I dislike Zombie games. But Left 4 Dead is a really BIG exception. Its really a special gameplay. It has a fast gameplay with long-time gaming-fun. The Director is one of the best features in the game. He forces the Team-Mates to work together. Non-Team play will be punished immediatelly. And thats it what makes the game to a perfect MP-Game!
  37. JoséOuellet
    Nov 19, 2008
    Très beau graphisme, très bon gameplay mais la durée de vie de ce jeu se limite à son nombre de scénario disponible, ici je parle de maps. Le joueur fera très rapidement le tour des scénarios disponible et pourra donc affecter légèrement le gameplay. Les concepteurs de Left 4 Dead vont tout simplement parier sur le fait que lesTrès beau graphisme, très bon gameplay mais la durée de vie de ce jeu se limite à son nombre de scénario disponible, ici je parle de maps. Le joueur fera très rapidement le tour des scénarios disponible et pourra donc affecter légèrement le gameplay. Les concepteurs de Left 4 Dead vont tout simplement parier sur le fait que les fans rajouteront des maps de leur touche personnelle comme dans les autres titres de Valve (ex: Counter-Strike), pour augmenter la durée de vie du jeu. Pas une location, mais un achat. Sachez que Valve publie toujours des jeux non complets. Donc Left 4 Dead ne sera méconnaissable dans 2 ans, lorsque toutes les patchs et addons seront faits. Expand
  38. AlexB.
    Nov 19, 2008
    Overall, this game did everything it set out to do, and well. You have a game that forces you to think ahead, and act as a team. Or act reflexivly, and be devoured alone. There is no doubt that this game, is perhaps the beginning of a new brand of zombie game. Hopefully valve will give updates, such as more campaigns or tools and that will lock me in for an 11 out of 10.
  39. SamRoark
    Dec 2, 2008
    A great game, worth every penny i paid, versus is great campain is awsome, and all the other great things, i have already replayed all 4 campains 3 times each and i still love the game just as much as when i got it, the only way i can think you would hate it is if you dont have that many friends who play L4D, I highly highly recomend reading owners manual so you better understand how toA great game, worth every penny i paid, versus is great campain is awsome, and all the other great things, i have already replayed all 4 campains 3 times each and i still love the game just as much as when i got it, the only way i can think you would hate it is if you dont have that many friends who play L4D, I highly highly recomend reading owners manual so you better understand how to play the game Expand
  40. JamesBlackwell
    Dec 30, 2008
    For me, few things could be more fun than attempting to survive the zombie apocalypse. I have spent over 100 hours in this game in the first month that I have owned it. I love this game for a few simple reasons; Firstly, the game has been excellently designed to make cooperative play a pivotal part of the game. Teams that work together well do well. Players that strike it out on their ownFor me, few things could be more fun than attempting to survive the zombie apocalypse. I have spent over 100 hours in this game in the first month that I have owned it. I love this game for a few simple reasons; Firstly, the game has been excellently designed to make cooperative play a pivotal part of the game. Teams that work together well do well. Players that strike it out on their own are inevitably punished for abandoning their teammates. In the unusual, but not rare, event that you end up with an obnoxious teammate, you can enjoy watching them die a slow painful death as punishment for not playing nice. The only downside to this game is that the game servers, especially during holidays, are unreliable. Expand
  41. DreadMuffin
    Dec 8, 2008
    I've played each movie countless times over, and it never gets boring. The AI director does a great job making the game difficult and never the same. The sound effects and music cues create a suspenseful environment that fits the zombie genre very well. Even the bots, although not replacement for humanoids, make decent company (I like how they heal actual players before NPCs). II've played each movie countless times over, and it never gets boring. The AI director does a great job making the game difficult and never the same. The sound effects and music cues create a suspenseful environment that fits the zombie genre very well. Even the bots, although not replacement for humanoids, make decent company (I like how they heal actual players before NPCs). I really hope to see some form of the AI director in other Valve games. I've always been happy with Valve, they've got some talented people who must work very hard to create multiplayer masterpieces like Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2.
    Steele X -- Why would you rate it as a 0 to "balance" it out? If they're good, and you think they are, vote it what YOU think it is, regardless of other peoples' votes.
  42. Boo
    Dec 9, 2008
    if you say that in this game tactics is not important you probably never finished a campaign to advanced level ...
    cooperation is facilitated by playing with people who you know. The system to create server is not perfect. For a perfect gaming experience is better to use the command "openbrowserserver" to find a low ping room because the game often lag.
    Btw i give a 8 and update and
    Btw i give a 8 and update and user mod will increase valutation
  43. Josh
    Jan 4, 2009
    Okay. Everyone says this game is boring. Wtf?! I have played pretty much every zombie game out there and RE4 and Left 4 Dead are the two best ones. The only problem is that Easy, Regular, and Advanced are cake and Expert requires intense and well used team work.

This game is so much fun online and I plan to play it for more months to come.
  44. Kookoocachoo
    Jan 7, 2009
    To Steele X, your rating system is completely illogical so therefore your entire post is worthless and should be removed. "But the game worked differently than what I thought it would be..." so you gave it a ZERO?!!! One of the best CO-OP games around, no wonder no one wants to play with you steele X, you're a whiny *&^%&!
  45. AdamC.
    Mar 26, 2009
    This game is simply amazing. Never before have I seen a game so co-op orientated and yet being so much fun. It's thrilling as the zombies will charge at you full pelt, a nice difference to the whole "slow braindead" zombies. Not to mention the infected bosses, the witch is just amazingly creepy, yet really fun to annoy at the same time. Unless she isn't much of a sport and This game is simply amazing. Never before have I seen a game so co-op orientated and yet being so much fun. It's thrilling as the zombies will charge at you full pelt, a nice difference to the whole "slow braindead" zombies. Not to mention the infected bosses, the witch is just amazingly creepy, yet really fun to annoy at the same time. Unless she isn't much of a sport and decides to shred you to peices...... The only down side to this game is that SOMETIMES you may get an annoying team, where for instance last night I was playing infected, all ways top of the team. Got vote kicked for no reason at all, completely out of the blue votes like that suck. Expand
  46. S.T.A.R.S.
    May 30, 2009
    Some good words to describe the game are awesome, fun, addicting, intense. It's biggest drawback however is the lack of content. Only four campaigns? This is coming from someone who, litterally, has beat the game inside and out, then played it more, and still plays it to this day. I've played co-op, campaign, even the newly released survivor modes. I have every achievement Some good words to describe the game are awesome, fun, addicting, intense. It's biggest drawback however is the lack of content. Only four campaigns? This is coming from someone who, litterally, has beat the game inside and out, then played it more, and still plays it to this day. I've played co-op, campaign, even the newly released survivor modes. I have every achievement possible, done all there is to do. But... only four campaigns? I was hoping for more campaigns, not a single level you can't escape with a light house. Sure, the developer kit will probably be released soon and people can make their own maps... but if there aren't some more official maps released as well Im going to be let down again. There's only so much we as a community can do, honestly. What makes a big part of the game fun is the survivors, their quirks, the dialogue they say to one another. From Francis's frequent reminders of everything he hates to Bills constant complaint about walking up and down stairs and so on, there is absolutely nothing new we as a community can do to make that ourselves. There's just so much more Valve could have added to the game by now and they haven't. I know plenty of my friends I've played with stop to "take a break" from the game because they feel the same, whether they actively say it or not. For how much it cost, there should have been more content. Sure, the replayability is awesome. I've spent over a hundred hours, probably closer to two, playing about 4or 5 hours worth of content. So think how much better the game would be with another 4 or 5 hours of content. That's right... I want at least another 4 campaigns... and no, I don't want a left for dead 2, I want more for this one. I've already heard about it... really what's stopping that from being more new content? New characters to play as, new levels to choose from? I think Valve would be doing everyone like me a diservice if they did anything less, especially considering games like half life and the super fantastic orange box. Seriously, look at all your fans cheering you on here, giving you the benefit of the doubt. Don't let us down. I'm not even saying give us our money's worth... live up to your already stellar reputation... give us what you already know your loyal community deserves. Once again, prove you can go above and beyond all our expectations, it's what put you where you are now after all. Until then, I don't think I can give the game anything better than an 8. Expand
  47. GerwimF.
    Nov 19, 2008
    Awesome game. Love the AI Director which randomly places zombies and items.. I love the teamwork (co-op) aswell.!!
  48. JamieH.
    Nov 20, 2008
    I really like the originality to this game. There are very few games out there with challenging horror scenes, most zombies or "infected" people move slow, and the game tends to be running backward and shooting. On this, if you run backwards, chances are they're gonna catch up and something WILL get you from behind. The AI is superb, the only problems i did find was that the I really like the originality to this game. There are very few games out there with challenging horror scenes, most zombies or "infected" people move slow, and the game tends to be running backward and shooting. On this, if you run backwards, chances are they're gonna catch up and something WILL get you from behind. The AI is superb, the only problems i did find was that the animations, although they are amazingly fluent and smooth, they do not hit the world: When an infected jumps up at you, their hands won't be hanging on the ledge, they will be either below, or infront of it. There are some infected that are just stood on tables, and seem to be floating. The boss and AI direction system is amazing, the way the zombies react, attack and act is fabulous. This game is amazing - and i have only done one chapter so far! 10/10 regardless of the ai things, this game still deserves a 10/10. Expand
  49. J.S.
    Nov 20, 2008
    L4D is the best zombie game of all time. Coop is addictive and the AI director changes things up on you each time you play leaving the potential for a huge amount of replayability. Versus is excellent as well. 4 zombies try to stop 4 humans from reaching safety and the teams switch to see which human side can get the farthest with the most survivors still standing. It is so satisfying toL4D is the best zombie game of all time. Coop is addictive and the AI director changes things up on you each time you play leaving the potential for a huge amount of replayability. Versus is excellent as well. 4 zombies try to stop 4 humans from reaching safety and the teams switch to see which human side can get the farthest with the most survivors still standing. It is so satisfying to just barely pull things together as a survivor and make it to the saferoom with a mob at your heels, or as a zombie to yank a survivor away from the group and watch your team rip him to shreds. One of the most impressive aspects of the game is how polished it is, particularly with regards to the animations. The sense of momentum that the zombie horde has when it charges you is just amazing, and it really feels like your weapon is connecting when you smash a zombie with the end of a gun and it goes reeling back. The only critique I have is directed at the matchmaking system. There's no way to select where the server you want to play in is located, or whether it is modified or not, so if you're unlucky, you might end up in a server with cheats enabled or one that's just horribly laggy. Expand
  50. CraigF.
    Nov 20, 2008
    Everything you would expect after playing HL2 and its follow up episodes. This game will not disappoint and the AI is unreal. The computer controlled characters play better than some online controlled players. Lots of fun, constantly changing and very fast paced.
  51. Ryan
    Nov 23, 2008
    Although the survival horror + zombies thing has been done to death, Valve still manages to make L4D interesting and fun. The Director system insures that each time you play through a level, it will be a different experience. It loses one point, however, because in order to fully enjoy the game, you've gotta play with 3 other people. The game was definitely made to be played with 4Although the survival horror + zombies thing has been done to death, Valve still manages to make L4D interesting and fun. The Director system insures that each time you play through a level, it will be a different experience. It loses one point, however, because in order to fully enjoy the game, you've gotta play with 3 other people. The game was definitely made to be played with 4 survivors on expert mode. Expand
  52. NickNguyen
    Nov 23, 2008
    I've been playing this game since when it was released until now. IMO, it's a fun game and is insanely challenging. After 4 days of playing, I was able to beat one of the four campaigns on expert. There're also achievements to make the game more fun, maybe unlocking them will release something like valve did with TF2. Also, I heard valve would be updating L4D just like TF2I've been playing this game since when it was released until now. IMO, it's a fun game and is insanely challenging. After 4 days of playing, I was able to beat one of the four campaigns on expert. There're also achievements to make the game more fun, maybe unlocking them will release something like valve did with TF2. Also, I heard valve would be updating L4D just like TF2 so there'd be more options Expand
  53. DanielHan
    Nov 30, 2008
    Unfortunately, i am one of those idiots who give this game 10.
    Just to balance yours out.
    Unfortunately, i am one of those idiots who give this game 10.
    Just to balance yours out.
    And this game is great. Those people who give this game crappy reviews, haven't actually played this game the way it was meant to be played. It was meant to be played with friends, not by yourself, lonely in singleplayer. It's supposed to be fun! And those people who claim it's easy, should get out of easy mode and try expert.
  54. MaartenvanHees
    Nov 30, 2008
    id say this is by far the best co-op game ive seen in a bit. Yes the levels are lineair, but this AI Director thing puts in enough replayabilty for me to keep on playing. Its especially fun when playing with 4 people on LAN or with Ventrilo/Teamspeak. The graphics are absolutely stunning, and it runs very good. m8 of mine has this nvidia 7300 laptop card and runs it fine with low settingsid say this is by far the best co-op game ive seen in a bit. Yes the levels are lineair, but this AI Director thing puts in enough replayabilty for me to keep on playing. Its especially fun when playing with 4 people on LAN or with Ventrilo/Teamspeak. The graphics are absolutely stunning, and it runs very good. m8 of mine has this nvidia 7300 laptop card and runs it fine with low settings and high screen resolution. One drawback is the relative short campaigns, but then again theres this versus mode wich is a complete laugh every time i play it. so yeh, id give this a 10 for the way the co-op element has been implemented. Expand
  55. ChrisTaylor
    Dec 10, 2008
    Frantic! I love it! Get "Boomered" and you know about it man- time to run, shoot and shoot while running-! Everything a zombie game ever wanted to be and more. And i've only played the first three acts of Pt 1!! Heard the witches crying but not seen one yet-. Glad of it too. I love it.
  56. FroDo
    Dec 21, 2008
    When i preordered this game and played the demo, i bit my ass cause the demo was a bad joke... i cried that i payed 50$ for this game. But after playing the full version i changed my mind. This game is so much fun, even if there are just 4 campaigns in Co-Op and 2 in Versus, every experience is different in some way. Personally i prefer the expert mode. You die very often, but the When i preordered this game and played the demo, i bit my ass cause the demo was a bad joke... i cried that i payed 50$ for this game. But after playing the full version i changed my mind. This game is so much fun, even if there are just 4 campaigns in Co-Op and 2 in Versus, every experience is different in some way. Personally i prefer the expert mode. You die very often, but the survival factor is the biggest... if you dont play perfectly in a team you won't survive a single part of the campaign. The games pros are obvious, so i stop here but here come the cons: -some servers are badly lagging and even if you are in the same country sometimes you get completely differnet pings with your friends -sometimes the servers just crash when they are loading the next level -the graphics are ok, but nothing special. I think the source engine is just too old now, they should have licenced something like Cry oder Unreal Engine. -Easy Normal and hard are just TOO easy and the expert mode makes a big jump to nearly impossible, here valve should do something sorry for my bad english, i hop you understand what i would like to say. Expand
  57. Simon
    Dec 2, 2008
    I think this game is amazingly good.

Many people voted very low, based on their experience with the demo. The difference between the real game / demo is huge. You have not fully experienced the game until you've owned a versus game. Talking, laughing in the microphone, the feel of kjumping a left-behind player. Killing him and being congratulated. The feel of that is rare in a
    I think this game is amazingly good.

Many people voted very low, based on their experience with the demo.
    The difference between the real game / demo is huge.
    You have not fully experienced the game until you've owned a versus game. Talking, laughing in the microphone, the feel of kjumping a left-behind player. Killing him and being congratulated. The feel of that is rare in a game and L4D definately has it.

Also, the graphics / sounds is really good. So it the layout of the game.

10 / 10.
    PS. A bit repetative but still beyond all my expectations.
  58. MattMcMinn
    Dec 3, 2008
    Amazing game. Picked it up at 5pm and couldn't put it down until 2am. It has exciting game play and when you play with friends it gets even better. I was skeptical of versus mode but its a lot of fun to be the zombies. My only complaint in reference to that is that is the spawn system is picky but you get used to it after about 5 mins.
  59. AlanG.
    Dec 6, 2008
    Despite several drawbacks this game presents a cooperative multiplayer experience the likes of which have never been seen before. While many games include multiplayer team combat, this game stresses teamwork and tactics beyond beyond what games like TF2 and CS:S are able to deliver on a consistent basis. The four player team creates a dynamic where cooperation is an absolute necessity for Despite several drawbacks this game presents a cooperative multiplayer experience the likes of which have never been seen before. While many games include multiplayer team combat, this game stresses teamwork and tactics beyond beyond what games like TF2 and CS:S are able to deliver on a consistent basis. The four player team creates a dynamic where cooperation is an absolute necessity for success, especially so on the harder difficulties. Gameplay revolves between periods of relative calm and times of extreme duress. The most fitting word to describe the latter is intense! No matter the skill of you and your comrades, there will be moments when the survival of your group is far from a certainty, especially given the random nature of the director. The intensity of the game tends to only increase as the level progresses, as wounded survivors are often met with an uncomfortable lack of medkits when they are most needed. The sound and graphics are thoroughly polished, and despite the age of the source engine its upgrades ensure that the game looks great and has plenty of eye candy. Once again, Valve's trademark attention to detail has made for a vibrant and immersing atmosphere. The ability to blow holes in or destroy doors is a fun new addition that also significantly alters the gameplay mechanic. While the story is underdeveloped, in game chatter between the characters reveals a great deal about their personalities, and makes them seem very real. There are some drawbacks, however. The game is relatively short, especially if played on the lower difficulties, and the weapon selection is somewhat minimal. These should not be a major issue, the game is meant to be played on expert in order to prepare a player for the even more difficult versus mode (which is an absolute blast), and the guns that are present are finely crafted and simply feel right. The replayability of this game is excellent, and is only compounded by the director and versus mode. As is, this game is very exciting and will keep many players hooked for an indefinite amount of hours. Given Valve's devotion to updates and the enthusiastic mod community, I only expect this game to improve as time goes on. I give this game a 9.3 out of 10. Expand
  60. MichaelD
    Dec 8, 2008
    Just what I expected from Valve: a polished, balanced and addictive game with an almost perfect gameplay formula that doesn't get old. With constant support and additional content down the road, you cannot go wrong at buying this game.

Invite your friends, put on the headset and start blasting some zombies!
  61. AS
    Jan 1, 2009
    Great fun while it lasts. There's 4 campaigns with 5 chapters in each. Beating each campaign will take on average maybe 1 hour so that's only 4 hours all up. The game is fun but it's short and once you've beaten it, you'll probably move onto another game due to it's somewhat repetitive gameplay. The lower difficulties are pretty boring because they're Great fun while it lasts. There's 4 campaigns with 5 chapters in each. Beating each campaign will take on average maybe 1 hour so that's only 4 hours all up. The game is fun but it's short and once you've beaten it, you'll probably move onto another game due to it's somewhat repetitive gameplay. The lower difficulties are pretty boring because they're too easy so you just go around blowing zombies without a challenge. The higher difficulties makes it more fun as it's more challenging but still, after beating them there's not that much to keep you coming back. There aren't that many weapons either. The co-op aspect of it is fun and is exciting when playing whichever campaign for the first time, but once you know what the map is like, it's not as exciting. Graphics are real nice, HL2:Ep2 style. The game however is not worth $50 compared to other PC games you can buy off steam which have a higher replayability. I think it should be $30 MAX. Expand
  62. SeanG
    Nov 3, 2009
    I love this game I just wish it had more boards and maybe even more characters on both sides to make it even harder,
  63. ThomasP
    Jan 13, 2009
    I got this game for Christmas and I have to say, I am addicted to it. There are only 4 levels (apparently they are meant to be releasing more) but it never gets old. Shooting zombies to hell, watching their heads explode and limbs get blown off. Fantastic. It's particularly good when people are on headsets, because they can talk faster and makes it funnier because of this. They can I got this game for Christmas and I have to say, I am addicted to it. There are only 4 levels (apparently they are meant to be releasing more) but it never gets old. Shooting zombies to hell, watching their heads explode and limbs get blown off. Fantastic. It's particularly good when people are on headsets, because they can talk faster and makes it funnier because of this. They can also co-ordinate attacks, which is particularly important on vs or expert mode. Vs mode for me is brilliant, I love it, being the special infected, trying to kill the survivors is really fun. However, for me, there isn't enough special infected. There's only 3 special infected and you don't get to choose which one you want to be. There is the occasional tank as well that you get to control, but that's it I love this game, but it's because there are only 3 special infected, that it gets a 9. Expand
  64. RJ
    Jan 14, 2009
    Finily Someone remembered how to make a Mutiplayer Shooter game thats not just Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch! It is a nice return to the Co-op days of Doom2. Many of the other shooter with a story arc should remember not everyone in to Deathmatch some of us just like sitting down with a few friends and take on the bad guys and not each other.
  65. RobA
    Jan 15, 2009
    Great fun if you love shooting zombies. I do! Graphics, sound, zombie/human interplay is good. Versus mode is fun. If the interface and achievements worked properly, I'd rate it 9 or 10. Some of the achievements don't work, due to buggy starts on the campaigns for most people. Try restarting the game when everyone is in. The interface is not so good. It gives no choice for what Great fun if you love shooting zombies. I do! Graphics, sound, zombie/human interplay is good. Versus mode is fun. If the interface and achievements worked properly, I'd rate it 9 or 10. Some of the achievements don't work, due to buggy starts on the campaigns for most people. Try restarting the game when everyone is in. The interface is not so good. It gives no choice for what kind of server you'll be tossed into. There's nothing to prevent you from ending up in some lame-brain's custom map. The interface can't seem to figure out if the server is full, back at lobby after a game, on someone's laptop or anything, and so gives you super-laggy servers or disconnects after connecting you. And if it can't find a good connection, it tries 10 times over a few minutes... won't let you cancel the search, and then tells you what you already know; that the server isn't there. New maps please. Expand
  66. [ANONYMOUS]
    Nov 7, 2009
    totally amazing game, despite the few variations in weapons and maps u never get tired of it... its just so much fun even a year after i bought it
  67. TomGraham
    Jan 1, 2009
    Valve have done it again! Left 4 Dead is another ground breaking games that shows the way for all other games to follow. A balance of teamwork and good old shoot 'em up creates one of the most addictive games I have ever played. Just remember that working as a team is they key to playing this game, as alone a player would last about a minute before ending up the main course at theValve have done it again! Left 4 Dead is another ground breaking games that shows the way for all other games to follow. A balance of teamwork and good old shoot 'em up creates one of the most addictive games I have ever played. Just remember that working as a team is they key to playing this game, as alone a player would last about a minute before ending up the main course at the infected dinner party. Expand
  68. BillH
    Oct 20, 2009
    The best COOP shooter available hands down. It's not just about shooting zombies, its about teamwork. The campaigns may be a bit easy for some players if you are playing on anything other than expert mode, but versus is what really brings a different dynamic to the table when compared to other multiplayer FPS games. The downside for some people may be the fact that you do really need The best COOP shooter available hands down. It's not just about shooting zombies, its about teamwork. The campaigns may be a bit easy for some players if you are playing on anything other than expert mode, but versus is what really brings a different dynamic to the table when compared to other multiplayer FPS games. The downside for some people may be the fact that you do really need a mic, communication is very important in a game that requires actual teamwork. Ramboers will fail in versus or expert campaigns miserably, that play style will just not work here. If you want to play a game that requires teamwork and brings a different dimension to team based shooters, grab this one up now. If you want to run around like a wild man hitting your macroed insults then you should probably stick to CoD. Expand
  69. Em_JW
    Jan 20, 2009
    I haven't read the reviews here, but its rated 9.5 / 10 at the moment.
    I'm not going to elaborate too much, but... I love this game.
    I'll just hit the high points (and boy are they significant) -it runs great on almost all hardware -it looks gorgeous -massively replayable -incredibly entertaining -challenging, but not frustrating -entertaining and fun
    I haven't read the reviews here, but its rated 9.5 / 10 at the moment.
    I'm not going to elaborate too much, but... I love this game.
    I'll just hit the high points (and boy are they significant)

-it runs great on almost all hardware
    -it looks gorgeous
    -massively replayable
    -incredibly entertaining
    -challenging, but not frustrating
    -entertaining and fun
    -stylized and creative

Did I mention that I really love this game? What an awesome piece of code. Massive respect for valve.
  70. RayongG
    Jan 23, 2009
    Very good game, but slow update. Anyway 10/10 because i enjoy it really much, can't stop playing it. And at least, the best game I ever see. Must be played to be judge.
  71. CoreyS
    Oct 24, 2009
    Its good, but i think it needs to have new maps added a little bit more toons to be played and a little more hordes. Yea i said it, i want it to be harder, i think a game where its you and your bros vs a city, should be just that a dang city! as in i want like 200 of them fools running out a store!
  72. spongebobsquarepants
    Jan 2, 2009
    This is a epic game, this is far more intense you get in no big intro no long speeches just zombie killing all way through, thats why i gave it 10 cause its an great game and one of the best works made by Valve, i have also played hl2, hl1, tf2 but this is far more fun when you have friends to play with. Singleplayer can be a little boring thats why you can complete the game with friends This is a epic game, this is far more intense you get in no big intro no long speeches just zombie killing all way through, thats why i gave it 10 cause its an great game and one of the best works made by Valve, i have also played hl2, hl1, tf2 but this is far more fun when you have friends to play with. Singleplayer can be a little boring thats why you can complete the game with friends or random players, also the versus mode is also quite impressing and fun, without a mic or fast typing skills it can be a little hard tho, but its no biggy. Expand
  73. RoyW
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have been playing this game for 2 weeks and clocked around 52hours of game play, this game has the perfect team work. You cannot solo play this game, You have 5 awesome campaigns to go through with a team online, or single player with your team as bots. SDK has not yet been released but already maps and new skins are in the making by users. If you can get it under $50 say $40 it's I have been playing this game for 2 weeks and clocked around 52hours of game play, this game has the perfect team work. You cannot solo play this game, You have 5 awesome campaigns to go through with a team online, or single player with your team as bots. SDK has not yet been released but already maps and new skins are in the making by users. If you can get it under $50 say $40 it's very worth it. Pros: The game is set as-if you were in a movie, Team work, Voice chat, Voice commands, controls, controller support, unlimited pistol bullets. Easy to join games, the community is very good, not to harsh on new comers to the game. Easy vote kick options for griefers. When you die you get locked in a room, your team can rescue you. Cons: No SDK yet, limited 5 campaigns, versus has limited 2 campaigns (which will increase in the future), limited 4 weapons 3 primary and one secondary pistol. Overall: Great game! must have for zombie lovers. Expand
  74. DirkH
    Jan 25, 2009
    This game delivers exactly what it promises: fast paced cooperative game play. Easy to pick-up and very immersive. Perfectly captures the atmosphere of old zombie B-movies. One of the best cooperative games on the market. Another sublime game from Valve. If more content will become available in the future then this game's rating could raise to 10.
  75. SteadyEddy
    Jan 3, 2009
    Left 4 Dead is a Co-operative survival horror game, by Valve, renown for their games such as the Half-life series, Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2. Left 4 Dead is another promising Gem entering Valve's legacy. Name: Left 4 Dead Players: 1-4 (Co-operatively) 1-8 (Competitively) RRP: £24.99 Developer: Valve Publisher: Valve Genre: Action/Survival Horror Release Date: 21st Left 4 Dead is a Co-operative survival horror game, by Valve, renown for their games such as the Half-life series, Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2. Left 4 Dead is another promising Gem entering Valve's legacy. Name: Left 4 Dead Players: 1-4 (Co-operatively) 1-8 (Competitively) RRP: £24.99 Developer: Valve Publisher: Valve Genre: Action/Survival Horror Release Date: 21st November (18th November if purchased from Steam) -=Story=- The story is brief but does not really affect the game play at all. It's the usual modern day zombie survival story, scene in such films as 28 Days Later or The Dawn of the Dead, where an infectious virus has been released into the world populous (this case an aggressive strain of rabies) turning many into aggressive, mindless hordes, bent on murdering those who still remain alive. It's not a ground-breaking Indie storyline, but it sets the stage for the various scenarios. You play from the perspective of four survivors: Bill the old Vietnam veteran, Zoey a sentimental young lady, Francis a hot-header biker and Louis your typical store manage, the characters themselves are personalised and you Expand
  76. 2mer2Lacrapul3
    Jan 4, 2009
    Vraiment un tres bon jeux, dommage toute foix que des gamins n'ayant pas l'age requis, ce retrouve sur la partie online, ou coordination et esprit d'equipe devrais reigner, et au lieu de ca c'est le cahot et le desordre sur 75% des parties, tk, gars qui ce croivent indestructible et parte solo, troullard qui ce planque a la moindre occase et laisse les autres ce battre Vraiment un tres bon jeux, dommage toute foix que des gamins n'ayant pas l'age requis, ce retrouve sur la partie online, ou coordination et esprit d'equipe devrais reigner, et au lieu de ca c'est le cahot et le desordre sur 75% des parties, tk, gars qui ce croivent indestructible et parte solo, troullard qui ce planque a la moindre occase et laisse les autres ce battre seul, non vraiment merci les parents stupide, qui prenne les ordinateurs comme babysiter, ou moyen de ce debarasser de leurs progenitures, sans regarder l'age necessaire et casi obligatoir, grace a vous ce jeux vas devenir une m......, et seras bientot injouable. Expand
  77. CodyG.
    Jan 4, 2009
    All you idiots that vote 0 need to actually get to know the game. this is a fast paced shooter game not for the weak. this game will literally work against you with the ai director at its disposal with out team work in this game the ai director will pick you all off 1 by one until the games over. but yeah this is probably one of the best buys for pc or xbox if you are looking for some great fun
  78. MichaelT
    Jan 4, 2009
    I consider myself a hardcore Online FPSer starting from Doom, Quake, CS, DOD and TF2. NO online game has Ever been as fun as this. Aging engine, i couldn't even tell. Physics are superb, character are Excellent. And the Coop is far beyond that of any coop game out there. The VS mode is the most fun i have ever had on a single game. I have caught myself screaming into the mike like my I consider myself a hardcore Online FPSer starting from Doom, Quake, CS, DOD and TF2. NO online game has Ever been as fun as this. Aging engine, i couldn't even tell. Physics are superb, character are Excellent. And the Coop is far beyond that of any coop game out there. The VS mode is the most fun i have ever had on a single game. I have caught myself screaming into the mike like my team mates, "Get in here!! Close the D**m Door!" IMO No Online coop game is nearly as satisfying as this one. Massively underrated by the critics. A must have!!!! Expand
  79. BrandonS
    Jan 8, 2009
    L4D is one of those games which leaves you wanting for more, again and again and again. The physics are great, and gameplay is well balanced. The excellent co-op experience forces you to work together, as some zombies leave you helpless and you need your team to save you. Now on to the cons: The game after some long hours of playing gets a bit boring (as it does with all games in this L4D is one of those games which leaves you wanting for more, again and again and again. The physics are great, and gameplay is well balanced. The excellent co-op experience forces you to work together, as some zombies leave you helpless and you need your team to save you. Now on to the cons: The game after some long hours of playing gets a bit boring (as it does with all games in this world). Even with the AI director you always know which places a speical zombieusually spawns around, but to me those are only minor things. And to Steele X, dont vote a zero to "balance it out" thats just being a J@ck @$$. Expand
  80. AnonoumusPerson
    Oct 8, 2009
    A very intense game, but could been better. It maybe could have more weapons. But overall, I think its great. The double pistol strategy was a great idea. one pistol, is better than one! The M4 could have been a M4A1, and...there should have been more explosives. But like I said, overall, its great.
  81. NicholasFeatherby
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wow, this game is just the epitome of gaming, I can't find anything wrong with it! And one of the funnest bits is telling your frinds of the epic finale that happened last night. It is just the game for friends to have pure unadulterated fun with no worries, that is, if you ignore the threat of being bitten!
  82. AnonymousMC
    Feb 1, 2009
    This game is so much fun. It is one of the few games that even months after i bought it keeps me coming back for more. It also makes people think and work together unlike other shooters where its run in, shoot, die, respawn. This game is totally worth the 50$ for pc or 60$ for xbox.
  83. BrianL.
    Feb 2, 2009
    Left4Dead takes simple pieces and blends them together to form an excellent coop game. Left 4 Dead succeeds through the power of four. The concept of 4 player coops is becoming more and more common with titles the newest titles like Call of Duty: World at War picking it up. However L4D takes it to the extreme. This game should be purchased by you and two or three of your friends if you Left4Dead takes simple pieces and blends them together to form an excellent coop game. Left 4 Dead succeeds through the power of four. The concept of 4 player coops is becoming more and more common with titles the newest titles like Call of Duty: World at War picking it up. However L4D takes it to the extreme. This game should be purchased by you and two or three of your friends if you really expect to get the most out of it. First, let me say I don't like the idea of zombies. I think they are an easy out. That said this game is a blast! Though there are only a few maps (4?), they can be played different ways to keep them interesting. There is a skill challenge competition where you try to master different skills and receive awards during the game play. There is also a versus game where you play one of the 4 special infected zombies. Playing as the special infected is actually rather difficult and quite fun especially when you are playing as the only infected fighting the survivors. I've spent many hours over the weeks since this title was released playing from Ohio with and against friends in Florida, Georgia and DC. It's not gotten boring yet. I have a NVidia 9800GTX OC on an AMD Athlon64 4000+ and am able to play with all settings at their highest. I've also played with an Nvidia 7900GT on the same machine at medium settings. Collapse
  84. YiKeS
    Feb 7, 2009
    Great Fun, Even Beter with 3 mates. I've been playing this for 2 months on co-op and still not board, achevments are good and make you want to play more. The updates to the vs mode have improved it and it can lead to hours of fun. I hope there will be new campains added soon to keep peoples interest.
  85. RichardC
    Mar 1, 2009
    I played this game both on the Xbox 360 and on the PC, and I must say it's a great zombie game. Incredibly suspenseful all the way till the end. You never stop wondering if the horde will show up, or what's around the next corner. The random spawns of the special zombies is great for keeping the excitement and unpredictability. All around this game delivers.
  86. SeppForcher
    Mar 13, 2009
    Left 4 Dead is a masterpiece, the co-op action is so well designed that it deliveres entertainment for hundreds of hours. Grab some friends and be part of zombie apocalypse, you won't regret it!
    The only negative thing is that it offers only a small amound of content. In Versus mode, this is where human players can control the special infected to fight against the survivors, there are only 2 campaigns available for play at the moment. But Valve supports the game with continued updates, balance fixes and content patches, which enhances the gameplay experience.
  87. JohannesSA.
    Mar 25, 2009
    A very nice game from Turtle Rock and Valve, has the valve polish game play and just 'smoothness' (graphics, animation sound etc.) It's easy to jump into when bored to go and have fun :P. The best thing i like about this is the playable special infected (and hope they add more :P) cause how often have you had the thought when playing a game and see some cool enemy and A very nice game from Turtle Rock and Valve, has the valve polish game play and just 'smoothness' (graphics, animation sound etc.) It's easy to jump into when bored to go and have fun :P. The best thing i like about this is the playable special infected (and hope they add more :P) cause how often have you had the thought when playing a game and see some cool enemy and 'wouldn't it be cool if we could play that' Though very few maps (specially in versus since pretty much only play that, except on LANs) this game would only be better if added more maps, weapons and maybe infected(could add survivors with new infected i guess to have it kinda even). Expand
  88. AlexReichert
    Mar 29, 2009
    Although arguably lacking in content Left 4 Dead is by far one of the greatest zombie games of our time. The intensity and bonds between your team make for some incredible moments in gaming. Plus you can play in a versus scenario as the super zombies you will come to loathe in the campaign. all that with more content already on the way and in the works, well done Valve.
  89. ChrisK
    Mar 5, 2009
    To anyone who complains about L4D only being four campaigns right now, I have this to say:

Please look at all of the new content being released for TF2 (the official content, mind you, I'm sure there's many times that volume in unofficial). In all likelihood, this is a good indicator of what's to come for L4D.
  90. AndrewH
    Mar 8, 2009
    I played it around a friends house first, since a few of my mates had it it would be great to play with 3 people i know online. At the first look i was reluctant to buy, it seemed too short, not replayable enough and there wasn't enough to offer for the money - i was wrong. After purchasing i finally got to see why it was so popular, amazing gameplay easily one of the best co-op gamesI played it around a friends house first, since a few of my mates had it it would be great to play with 3 people i know online. At the first look i was reluctant to buy, it seemed too short, not replayable enough and there wasn't enough to offer for the money - i was wrong. After purchasing i finally got to see why it was so popular, amazing gameplay easily one of the best co-op games i've played. PS: This is most certainly an online game if you'd be playing offline more, i'd look for another title personally. Expand
  91. JoPixel
    Apr 1, 2009
    This game is a lot of fun! If you want it for SP, get something else but if you have a decent internet connection, prepair to mow down zombies with your friends while trying to survive or try to stop the survivors from reching the end controlling the speccial infected... This game doesn't lack replayability. There's a director that changes the experience based on skill level. This game is a lot of fun! If you want it for SP, get something else but if you have a decent internet connection, prepair to mow down zombies with your friends while trying to survive or try to stop the survivors from reching the end controlling the speccial infected... This game doesn't lack replayability. There's a director that changes the experience based on skill level. There's the console (you can adjust tons of stuff with that like amount of damage dealt by zombies, adjust the Tank spawn rate or whatever... You can even take over as director! The other source game maps are compatible with L4D so you have lots of CS maps to play in (the director will spawn the zombies for you!). There's even a DLC coming up with a new gamemode and a lot of new stuff... But DON'T GET THAT GAME ON THE XBOX 360 unless you don't have a PC that's good enough to play it because the 360 version sucks compared to PC. Buy this game to have fun! 10/10. Expand
  92. ChrisB
    Apr 21, 2009
    Left 4 Dead is nice mindless fun, but does get rather dull after a while. Has nice graphics and commentary from the foru characters can be witty and funny, though sometimes it can also be agonizingly teeth gritting. The lack of the SDK at this time or even new maps tends to run the replay value of the game down some, even with the achievements there to go after, they aren't exactly Left 4 Dead is nice mindless fun, but does get rather dull after a while. Has nice graphics and commentary from the foru characters can be witty and funny, though sometimes it can also be agonizingly teeth gritting. The lack of the SDK at this time or even new maps tends to run the replay value of the game down some, even with the achievements there to go after, they aren't exactly major things to worry about in the long run. It's a great game when you want to kill about an hours worth but doesn't currently have any long term play value. Perhaps when some player created maps come along. Expand
  93. ShockK
    Apr 7, 2009
    Me and my friends have been looking for a cooperative game forEVER and when I found out what left 4 dead was, tears rolled down my face. It was everything I wanted in little bite-sized pieces. Overall, the game is a blast, but it's somewhat disappointing the number of bugs that made it to release, even after FOUR years of development. The lobby system for the PC is awful. Me and my friends have been looking for a cooperative game forEVER and when I found out what left 4 dead was, tears rolled down my face. It was everything I wanted in little bite-sized pieces. Overall, the game is a blast, but it's somewhat disappointing the number of bugs that made it to release, even after FOUR years of development. The lobby system for the PC is awful. There's no way to pick a server, the search apparently randomly picks a server (if you're lucky enough to even get that far, since some people can not find servers even if they search for hours). There could be several improvements to gameplay and probably worst of all is the versus bot AI. If you don't have four human players on the survivors' team, each bot is a handicap. They are totally WORTHLESS. The only thing they're good for is carrying an extra medkit, and if they start healing, you better kill that spark-brained piece of pixelshit before you lose a kit. There could have been a lot more room to improve the cooperative play, but that being said, this game is a huge leap forward. Things can only get better, especially once they release the SDK for this game. GO VALVE!!! Expand
  94. KjetilO
    May 10, 2009
    Left 4 Dead is our time greatest zombie apocalypse! Your mission is to escape, and it's one way and one way only to do that. kill zombies!! Great Game!
  95. MichaelS
    May 2, 2009
    I have become a gamer at the hands of Valve's excellent commitment to the consumer. I have not found any other game that offers the same kind of dedication that Valve has to their products. It began with Team Fortress 2 for me, and was finalized in Left 4 Dead. I will play this game for many years to come. Any gamer worth a grain of salt would have this game in his collection.
  96. ToddC
    May 24, 2009
    Though there are many movies of zombies, games of zombies, comics and books of zombies, not many of them are recognized as great zombie-themed media or game. Left 4 Dead managed to be the top (in my opinion) in contributing to "zombie apocalypse" theme in the game category. Though not a very horrifying or scary game, it does a wonderful job at keeping you aware of your surroundings and on Though there are many movies of zombies, games of zombies, comics and books of zombies, not many of them are recognized as great zombie-themed media or game. Left 4 Dead managed to be the top (in my opinion) in contributing to "zombie apocalypse" theme in the game category. Though not a very horrifying or scary game, it does a wonderful job at keeping you aware of your surroundings and on your toes. There will be at times where the suspenseful music plays and waiting for a massive horde to come, or when things are just too quiet that it makes you wonder what will happen next. The AI director does a good job in maintaining a well-balanced fps game that requires some team work (especially in higher difficulties) to eliminate tanks (high health "hulks") and protecting vomited-on teammates from hordes that are only attracted them. Though the game may become repetitive after playing 20 or so times, it still has some fun and play value with the different players that aid you every time. So far, I've played this game for over 5 months and still enjoy it. If you like run-and-gun, massive hordes, tons of shooting, coop games, all in a zombie-themed game...this might be the game for you! Of course, if you don't like that kind of stuff, this might not be a great game for you. Though I've seen people complain that this is like a Half-Life zombie mod for Valve, I do have to agree to some extent. However, it is probably the best "zombie mod" of all if it had to be compared so lowly as to be called a "zombie mod". Overall, great game of its kind! Expand
  97. JamesP
    May 26, 2009
    Get a good team of survivors togeather, practice, get good, play against others...Addiction ensues. Finally a game where you MUST rely on the people around you to succeed. Excellent Valve, a round of applause. This game is phenomenal. Valve release regular updates and map extensions AND new campaigns to be created soon! Plus TONNES of new gear and stuff! This is anything but a stagnent Get a good team of survivors togeather, practice, get good, play against others...Addiction ensues. Finally a game where you MUST rely on the people around you to succeed. Excellent Valve, a round of applause. This game is phenomenal. Valve release regular updates and map extensions AND new campaigns to be created soon! Plus TONNES of new gear and stuff! This is anything but a stagnent game. Do not judge from the box. P.s. NOT SINGLEPLAYER. Expand
  98. FarskeH
    May 27, 2009
    A truly polished game. You have the casual coop style version where you and your mates can plod along in easy mode, or scream in intense expert/hard mode. Then you move onto the survival, the cresendo events where you hold out for as long as you can, earning awards. Then the cream of the game. The Versus mode, how this is fun! Whilst newbs have commented on it stating its unbalanced, its A truly polished game. You have the casual coop style version where you and your mates can plod along in easy mode, or scream in intense expert/hard mode. Then you move onto the survival, the cresendo events where you hold out for as long as you can, earning awards. Then the cream of the game. The Versus mode, how this is fun! Whilst newbs have commented on it stating its unbalanced, its fair. You play it in halves, you swap sides after. The developers said the aim of the game and the design was that the survivors have a slim chance of reaching the end. It shows skill if you do (or a complete lack of skill on the infected side). After the annihilation you swap over. They KEY to the game is friends, play with friends or skill full people and you WILL love it, You can see the people who have rated this game low are clearly kids or n00bs. Its a shame this game has a low score because of that. Its a gem. Expand
  99. mattm
    May 31, 2009
    L4D is and always will be a great game. Shure the campain gets old after 10 or so runs on expert, but the coop is some of the best iv ever seen. Most people who rate it low complain about not having RL buddies to own with. This isnt very logical because if you enjoy the coop but just dont have RL friends, there are other options. Such as clans, steam friends with the game (almost all of L4D is and always will be a great game. Shure the campain gets old after 10 or so runs on expert, but the coop is some of the best iv ever seen. Most people who rate it low complain about not having RL buddies to own with. This isnt very logical because if you enjoy the coop but just dont have RL friends, there are other options. Such as clans, steam friends with the game (almost all of my friends on steam now own this game), or even people you see at school (IDK if this counts as RL buddies cause u might not like em). Not having friends does not give any reason to give it a score of 1 and no reason to dislike the game. I have 3 RL buddies that live about a mile from me that have the game and about 100 clan members, all of which can play L4D and stomp the average pub. Then going into content wise, some people who can actually use their pc will mod L4D with different maps that are used by many and play with buddies, and Valve has already givin us lighthouse and there might be more maps in the future, (my L4D has all custom skins, witch and tank sounds, and about 30 custom campains/survival/versus maps on it that I use on a server that I have admin on. So just because you cant make buddies online or off to play with you please dont rate L4D low on those weak standards. Iv had tons of fun playin it and am hopein that PDXLAN will give us an L4D tourny so our |-DNB-| clan can win some nice GTX 295 graphics cards. So please dont spam hate messages cause u cant get buddies, so far I have found the gameplay nothing less then enjoyable, and hopefully you will get a good experince playing sometime in the future. (Also if people kick you without exlaining why, its probably because that if they tell you that they are kicking for a buddy, most people start shooting them or jump off an edge resulting in player death and a handicap to their team. Im speaking from experience, its happened to me many times so please dont judge the game based on those standards eaither, because the above is most likly the case and they are just trying to play with their buddies. Expand
  100. JeffW.
    May 4, 2009
    Great game!

There's absolutely no doubt that Left 4 Dead is one of the most social and exciting multiplayer games that we've ever played. It's almost pitch perfect in how it captures the tension and the action of a Hollywood zombie movie.
    The inventive and highly entertaining competitive multiplayer mode just adds to the experience, and we're looking forward to seeing what Valve's got planned for the game's future. Out of all the titles that have shaped the Year of Living Cooperatively, this may be the best experience of them all.
    One of the finest zombie games ever made, and one of the finest co-op games ever made. The potential for everything to go so, so wrong without warning, or conversely to pull off the most spectacular escapes against all odds, means this is an online shooter you can tell your finest anecdotes about without boring everyone else to tears.