8.1

1. Apr 13, 2012
    A game so much reminding me the good old days, that I'm not surprised at all that it was made by an independent developer studio - none of the big sales-orientated companies would ever make something SO MUCH old school. It's just like a sequel to Dungeon Master 1, with a little bit of Lands of Lore mixed in? And the production quality (= graphics and such) is pretty high, especially whenA game so much reminding me the good old days, that I'm not surprised at all that it was made by an independent developer studio - none of the big sales-orientated companies would ever make something SO MUCH old school. It's just like a sequel to Dungeon Master 1, with a little bit of Lands of Lore mixed in? And the production quality (= graphics and such) is pretty high, especially when you know that the game was made by only 4 people!! It's just an old school dungeon crawled with hex-by-hex movement, real time combat, rune magic, easy and somehow intuitive character's stat system. I'm having great fun with it, and with starting price about 12 dollars it's just a bargain! If you have ever played Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Ishar or Eye of the Beholder, this is a must have for you!! Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2012
    This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title,This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title, I will give it a 10 because it is just that good. My ONLY complaint would be the lack of more character portraits to choose from, but that's pretty minor and can be added in later. I love the that the option is included to turn off auto-mapping and you can print out included graph paper to map it yourself. Old school D&D players will love that! I'm a bit too scared to try it...for now :-) Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    It's game from past - time of Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and Might&Magic 1-5. And now it returns with HD graphics.
    It might disappoint "young" gamers, but thous who started playing in mid 90 - you will love this game.
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    Not for people who think skyrim is great, only for people who are great. The game damn is. Great puzzles, not too hard, but they still make you think.
  5. Apr 11, 2012
    Have been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is justHave been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is just awesome. Sure the tiles are repeated, but what do you expect in a dungeon game. Loot is pretty superb as well. Keep finding different armour with different trade-offs. Haven't even beaten the first dungeon of many to come and already I can say this game was worth the $15 it goes for when not on sale. And I didn't even have to spend that much with the pre-order! Great game! If you loved older dungeon crawlers or are just looking for a new game to play, this should be at the top of your to-get list! Very well made. Looking forward to the new dungeons and other things to come for this game! Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    This is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult yourThis is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult your intelligence. Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2012
    Excellent "blast from the past" dungeon crawl. Great atmospherics, easy inventory management and fun, but not irritating puzzles. I forgot how much I enjoyed this type of a game. Really a gem, especially in the under $15 category. Highly recommended, especially for those who long for the old great Bard's Tale, Ultima, Dungeon Master type games.
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Finally a game which holds the feeling of the renaissance era of great gaming years! A must have for the first electronic gaming generation. Perfect representation of the classical deungeon crawling style.
  9. Apr 11, 2012
    This is the best clone of Dungeon Master in 2012.
    Best gameplay, best graphics, best.... all !!!
    Goty 2012 :-)
  10. Jul 19, 2012
    A must for fans of old-school RPGs. Excellent visuals, nive old-school feeling achieved through grid based movement with smooth animated transitions. A lot of exploration and an interesting story weaved in-between. A classic!
  11. May 14, 2012
    Old school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escapeOld school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escape from Grimrock. The only drawbacks I have found is that the walls of the dungeon could be more variable and the spell casting system could be working on some user friendlier system - it is a bit annoying to select the same runes again in the heat of the battle. Also, the realtime fighting might not suit everyone. But despite of these drawbacks, every dungeon fan must have this game. Expand
  12. May 16, 2012
    Solid Game. Is everything you expect it to be, a OLD SCHOOL dungeon crawler. The devs are awesome and really listen to the community, Great price, great quality and a good feel of being underground.
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    Games is pretty neat, so fun and awesome, there's a lot of settings for the dungeons and your 4 characters, the game is so progressive and every puzzle is different, the game is visually perfect and the gameplay is very comfortable.
  14. Jul 19, 2012
    Ahh...nostalgia. Do you remember games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder? Well, if you do and liked them, you are really going to love Legend of Grimrock. It's just like old times. If you are to "young" to remember this game, it is a classical old-fashioned dungeon crawler experience. Find a 2x2 square and start slashing at the monsters and never ever get cornered.
  15. Aug 18, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoilIt's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail). I generally don't like that kind of stuff, so that was very disappointing for me.
    It also seems that one doesn't get anything for collecting certain things throughout the dungeon. Nothing unlocked, no special artwork, not even a text mentioning how awesome you are. I guess they're just there for achievements.
    Aside from these things, I've thoroughly enjoyed this adventure though. And at ~15 hours pretty lengthy too (especially considering the price).
  16. Aug 2, 2012
    This old school, tile based, real time RPG Adventure is awesome. If you like dungeon crawlers, this is a great indie title to get your hands on.
    Don't expect anything like Skyrim, or the likes of that, because this IS old school.
    Graphics, sound and athmosphere is above decent. Many hours of exploration to do, if you're into these kind of games.
    I don't regret buying it at full price.
  17. Jul 14, 2012
    Bought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never getBought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never get to see your characters, and you all only take up one space, so all of your guys are working together as a unit, though individuals can still die if you don't watch what you're doing.. You can also pick custom character portraits for them, which make it a lot of fun if you make up your team from your friends. The combat's pretty sweet and the puzzles are good enough to be fun and not frustrating, and some pretty interesting **** happens at around level 5, if you're paying attention. Pick this one up.

Soon there's gonna be a map editor, so we can make our own sweet dungeons. I was also slightly surprised to see that levels aren't randomly generated, that would have been awesome.
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    A wonderful surprise for us older gamers who loved the original styles, and this brings the model up to date with good graphics and surprising detail. Also nice that it was a small indie firm who were genuinely pleased and excited it was so popular, that made it a pleasure to hand over some money to play it.

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently waiting for new content and the long-promised user-submitted maps and dungeon editor. Come on!

Bargain of the year along with Toy Soldiers.
  19. Jun 17, 2012
    Take the tried and tested Dungeon Master or Eye of the beholder gameplay, slap on a fresh 3D coat of paint, and you'll get Legend of Grimrock. No use in comparing this with Diablo III - this game is a nice remake of a game made *25* years ago, folks. 25 years! So yes, the tile-based gameplay seems quite old when compared to newer titles, and the level design isn't quite up to par comparedTake the tried and tested Dungeon Master or Eye of the beholder gameplay, slap on a fresh 3D coat of paint, and you'll get Legend of Grimrock. No use in comparing this with Diablo III - this game is a nice remake of a game made *25* years ago, folks. 25 years! So yes, the tile-based gameplay seems quite old when compared to newer titles, and the level design isn't quite up to par compared to the old games mentionned above, but if you enjoyed the original dungeon crawlers, you'll definitively enjoy this title. Upcoming level editor should give this game a huge fan base and contents for years to come. Expand
  20. Jul 8, 2012
    The best gaming experience I had lately. Simple controls, difficult puzzles, good graphics, great atmosphere, exciting fights, team customisation and levelling. It provides the best a game like this can provide.
    The dungeons remind me of the dwemer dungeons of Skyrim.
  21. Jul 8, 2012
    This is an outstanding homage to the Eye of the Beholder type games, as you know by now.

They get most things very right. The graphics are attractive, the gameplay fits the old games but lacks most of the aggravations from any quality issues (it runs smoothly as you'd want). The best thing about the game is the puzzles. There are many, they don't really repeat, just a few are pulled from old games, and they're hard - keep you from going further in the game - then just great when you solve them.

There are a few minor things with them, such as not realizing things you shouldn't have to on earlier levels that can matter in later levels, in two situations I can think of.

My over feeling of the game is that it's just wonderful for the things it gets right - but there are flaws.

The parties are a bit simplistic, you don't get enough information to make good picks, the way magic works doesn't make a lot of sense in how you learn spells but the game's primary mechanic for learning new spells teaches some very late and some not at all; the party mechanics are not well balanced, you can make mistakes, there is inflexibility if you do. The story is pretty throwaway, a few seconds at the beginning to get you in the dungeon.

But the game feels polished, and provides a large amount of entertainment, if you like the idea of a very fun old-design dungeon crawler with a lot of good puzzles.

Name the best 10 games you have played, and I can find what I think are big flaws in each, while still agreeing they're deserving of 'best of all time'. This is one of the best games in years IMO.

I'd really like to give it a 10 despite the minor flaws, but they're just big enough to make it a 9.5. I could be wrong. Oh heck, while writing I realize it deserves that 10, with the criticisms.
  22. Jul 17, 2012
    Nice old-styled game from years of Eye of the Beholder in nice moder graphics engine. Enjoyable puzzles and skill build of your party. Just casting spells is little bit "click that fast horror" and the last level seems not funny at all... If they will add level editor and Steam Workshop, I put this on 10 points. Now it's just 8.
  23. Jul 19, 2012
    Brilliant Sound , Brilliant Graphic and BRILLIANT Game ! Easy Control and many Characters ! I love this game cause there many enemies , many levels and many puzzles ! You will love this game !!!

It cost only 15 dollars !
  24. Aug 5, 2012
    This is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the greatThis is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the great Westwood Studio classics that pretty much are the model for this. I think it has more to do with kids being spoiled now. Every battle is tough, and you do have to prep your chars between battles....you will die from time to time, but as long as you use your brain, and prep your chars you'll do okay....and yes you do have to play the game of hit and run at times, I used to have to do that in those older games too....I think again, this game is going to be excellent for people nostalgic for those older games, and their difficulty level, but some newer gamers will not like the format. Th magic is a bit hard to do on the fly, but you learn. That's not an error on the development team's part, that's just different tastes. Last thing I would say is the puzzles are great! This is probably the best part of the game, every area has unique puzzles to solve....it's very satisfying, and I never thought I would get to play something like this again! Expand
  25. Aug 10, 2012
    Great game, spent hours at a time crawling through dungeons and killing monsters, this is actually my first review on this website so i'm sorry if its slightly lacking. I've completed the game before, and nearly a second time trying to find all the secrets and everything I missed. The multitude of different roles that you can pick for the characters will have me going back for awhile, notGreat game, spent hours at a time crawling through dungeons and killing monsters, this is actually my first review on this website so i'm sorry if its slightly lacking. I've completed the game before, and nearly a second time trying to find all the secrets and everything I missed. The multitude of different roles that you can pick for the characters will have me going back for awhile, not to mention the special 'Toorum Mode' that is one of the most creative secrets I have seen in awhile.

Most of these people seem to be complaining about the combat system, the combat is very simple once you get the hang of it, some stuff can be tedious like picking up arrows or wondering around for a few seconds trying to find a stray crossbow bolt, however I feel that just makes the game more fun. Same goes with the spell casting, it makes it all that more addicting.

Also another complaint I have been seeing a lot is the food system, its really not that bad and even with characters that require mass amounts of food you can still have excess. Item management is crucial, however you can use bags and boxes to help which is a nice addition. Overall the game relies greatly on the ability to think on your feet, something which many games do not do these days. The only bad thing about this game, is that it can get a little repetitive with its level designs, once you have figured all the puzzles out and were the secrets are there's really not that much more to do as you just run threw killing everything in your path.
  26. Dec 8, 2012
    OMG! Dungeon Master resurrected! Can't stop playing now! So far, excellent! Is also now part of the Steam Workshop so replay value has greatly improved with people all around the world submitting their dungeons.
  27. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles feltThis game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles felt really rewarding to solve, others had me totally confused (especially some of the teleportpuzzles) but overall they were great. Playtime was 19 hours for me on my first playthrough while consulting a walkthrough 2 or 3 times. Replayability seems to be strong, i can't wait to start a new game and find all the missed treasures and secrets and try a totally different groupcombo with different skillsets and weapons. On the downsite, I didn't like the last level very much, it felt hectic and unnecessary. the bossfight felt unsatisfying and annoying with many monsters constantly blocking you. Overall it is a great title for an amazing price. 8/10 Expand
  28. Jul 17, 2012
    This is an excellent game. True to the old style dungeon crawls of old, this game has interesting puzzles, dangerous enemies, and deadly traps. Best played without a FAQ or walkthrough - you may bang your head against a wall for an hour trying to figure out a puzzle, but when you do it's absolutely glorious.

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes at you from left field and is both comical and terrifying. There is some amount of replay value, but the true replay value will come in the future: The company will be releasing, for free, an editor so that players can craft their own dungeons.
  29. Oct 11, 2012
    As an older gamer this review is quickly done. I you liked the Eye of the Beholder series (especially Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon) or the first Lands of Lore... just go buy it. Fighting and puzzles just like in the old days, but with good looking graphics and a not overused 3D engine.

Recently Steam Workshop support was added and development tools got released, so watch out for new dungeons, puzzles and fights.
  30. Nov 4, 2012
    Reminiscent of the early 90's dungeon crawlers, where your adventure always feels like a struggle and the dungeons traps and mazes are an actual challenge. This game does not hold your hand and does not give you a prolonged tutorial or throws expendable characters in your face, instead it's just your party and the quiet rumbling of the dungeon for you to discover.

Combined with superb

Combined with superb texture quality and sound assets the game really makes you feel like just another prisoner in a maze of a dungeon.
  31. Nov 14, 2012
    A throwback to another age of PC gaming mixed with modern mechanics. This game is highly enjoyable and now with Steam Workshop opens the game up to a long shelf life. Give it a go.
  32. Dec 5, 2012
    Great nostalgic game. This will bring back memories for older gamers, and make memories for younger gamers. A must buy for anyone who enjoys a challenge.
  33. Dec 16, 2012
    This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky,This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky, error-prone combat controls. Overall, a superb game but not for everyone. Expand
  34. Dec 21, 2012
    Its a hard game, but those are always the best. You don't want games you can beat first time through and take only a few hours. Legend of Grimrock is full of mystery, puzzles, and sometimes even scares.

Another thing i loved about this game is customization. I usually spend like 30 mins putting my squad together perfectly. I suggest this game as a great Christmas gift (posted December 22nd)
  35. Dec 24, 2012
    Blast from the past. Simple-to-play game but still has plenty of depth. Stay away if you're looking for a action/JRPG type of game. Value also reflected on the game score.
  36. Nov 24, 2014
    Great game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in DungeonGreat game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in Dungeon Master which means lots of puzzles that require thinking, observation and timing, lots of tunnels to explore and secrets to find and figuring out different ways to deal with monsters. If you loved Dungeon Master 25 years ago then Legend of Grimrock will get you hooked once again, no question about that. Also available DRM free for both PC and Mac! Expand
  37. Nov 1, 2014
    Very good game, done everything there was to do, got all achievements, and still liked the game.

This game gives you the old school feeling, including the toughness needed to beat the game, lol

Lost 1 point due to the horrible battle system, there is this "cool down" system that makes you move around like a retard to avoid being hit while waiting for your attack to recharge.
  38. Jan 19, 2015
    The Legend of Grimrock is truly a dungeon crawling classic with little flaws. It’s that it brings back the enigmatic yet intriguing tone of adventure that hasn’t been seen for at least five years which in return makes it stand out from other dungeon crawlers.
  39. Jun 5, 2012
    Grimrock is an old-school, four-man-party dungeoneering RPC which represents a timely reminder to Bioware, Bethesda et al. that it is possible to make a fantasy roleplaying game which is challenging, but still enjoyable. The old-school puzzles are every bit as contrived as older gamers will remember from Eye of the Beholder and its like, but within that contrivance lies a really enjoyableGrimrock is an old-school, four-man-party dungeoneering RPC which represents a timely reminder to Bioware, Bethesda et al. that it is possible to make a fantasy roleplaying game which is challenging, but still enjoyable. The old-school puzzles are every bit as contrived as older gamers will remember from Eye of the Beholder and its like, but within that contrivance lies a really enjoyable challenge simply absent from most modern RPGs. Combat is no cake-walk and my playthrough needed more than a couple of re-loads, especially after Level 6. Loot is nicely balanced, however, with just the right amount of equipment progression to keep the hardened dungeoneer interested. There isn't a great deal of role-playing per se in this RPG. Magic is a little bit shallow in this game, being almost entirely combat-orientated: my mage was little more than a flamethrower with a name. The rooms and corridors are sparsely furnished, with only the occasional barrel or egg-sac to break up the endless grey corridors. NPCs are notable for their absence. But mysterious dreams and notes left by a previous prisoner who attempted to navigate the dungeon provide enough of a sense of story and atmosphere to keep the four prisoners going. Ultimately, Grimrock is a loving tribute to a style of game whose day has passed and to that extent, it succeeds superbly. Although it's targeted fairly and squarely at those who assaulted Myth Dranor in days of yore on much older machines, there is a salutary lesson for modern studios: tricky puzzles and challenging combat give the player something to do besides staring at the landscape between cut-scenes. Expand
  40. Jun 17, 2012
    I guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, asI guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, as it looked unlike anything I've experienced before. And it is. It's a new and fresh, rather than nostalgic, experience for me. Choosing your own characters is a great feature, and it's even better that you get to choose their stats and traits. However, the bad thing is that if you choose the wrong stats you end up with a very unsuitable party to play the game all the way through, and it often amounts to starting over and over and over until you create the ideal setup, which is tedious. The game's also very hard - and I mean very very, old-school-nintendo-pop-in-another-token-and-try-again hard, so expect a lot of "GAME OVER"s being thrown in your face. Stylistically, the game's very strictly Traditional High Fantasy, and the game's name is so stereotypically geeky that I doubt anyone will be finding any girlfriends through playing it. This isn't exactly a bad thing, I guess I just sort of expected something more...subversive. Overall, I think this game tries to appeal a bit too much to the old '90s gaming veterans and not to the younger set, who come from a completely different gaming background. It's old-fashioned and not very adaptable. I think it'd benefit most from adding a difficulty setting that determined the challenge of the puzzles rather than just the toughness of the enemies. Expand
  41. Apr 17, 2012
    I'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice againstI'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice against anything I must give this game a full ten. The last game which I would have given a nine is the new Deus Ex. (to compare in entertainment value) Expand
  42. May 16, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h.Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h. Being an avid gamer hardened my contention with poor interfaces, but others may not be as blessed: The lack of a "cast last spell" key/button meant combinations had to be punched in every few seconds in combat, spotting secret switches is a tedious chore, and the absence of a mini-map made frequent runs to the health crystal more tedious than it should. Last, some items do not stack which caused some unnecessary inventory clogs. Personally, these flaws added a certain old-school style of charm, since interfaces were not as refined in the 80's and 90's. Overall, Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game for those who love a good old dungeon romp. Highly recommended due to its rich atmosphere, challenging combat and rewarding puzzles. Expand
  43. Apr 12, 2012
    Old-school gameplay with 2012 technology. Great depth, difficult puzzles, many different foes and quite a lot of levels in Mount Grimrock to explore. Add secrets, many weapons, a very good magic system and a very good and balanced difficulty level, and you will get what is going to very likely be the best indie RPG of the year. Also, modding capabilities are going to be added in theOld-school gameplay with 2012 technology. Great depth, difficult puzzles, many different foes and quite a lot of levels in Mount Grimrock to explore. Add secrets, many weapons, a very good magic system and a very good and balanced difficulty level, and you will get what is going to very likely be the best indie RPG of the year. Also, modding capabilities are going to be added in the future, so the perspective is very bright for the fans of the title.

Totally recommended if you enjoy RPGs. Compulsory to play if you like dungeon crawlers.
  44. Apr 12, 2012
    This is a game for the old school RPGer looking to relive our favorite games from the 80s and 90s, or for new RPG players looking to see something reminiscent of what got the great RPG genre going. This is a beautifully done indie game, making very creative use of 3D, with a lot of fun and interesting combat. The _only_ modern nod that might have made to make spell casters more useful is aThis is a game for the old school RPGer looking to relive our favorite games from the 80s and 90s, or for new RPG players looking to see something reminiscent of what got the great RPG genre going. This is a beautifully done indie game, making very creative use of 3D, with a lot of fun and interesting combat. The _only_ modern nod that might have made to make spell casters more useful is a way to "hotkey" spells you've discovered, but devils advocate to that is that - spell casting is powerful, therefore it should be a strategic move, so I'm not docking any points for it. Just observing. Huge props to Almost Human. The team did an amazing job of bringing back one of my favorite games of all time (Dungeon Master) to life again. Expand
  45. Apr 12, 2012
    I had to make a MC account just to give this game its just due. My first-ever RPGs were Dungeon Hack and Ultima Underworld, so this genre has a special place in my heart. I've put in hours on this game since I got it and it's a blast, especially for an indie studio debut. The puzzles are challenging and fun and the combat is difficult, but never impossible. I like the advancement system,I had to make a MC account just to give this game its just due. My first-ever RPGs were Dungeon Hack and Ultima Underworld, so this genre has a special place in my heart. I've put in hours on this game since I got it and it's a blast, especially for an indie studio debut. The puzzles are challenging and fun and the combat is difficult, but never impossible. I like the advancement system, and picked two mages to go with my fighter and rogue since I knew I would be disappointed if I was missing out on spells. Can't wait to delve deeper into Mt. Grimrock! I highly recommend it to any fans of the dungeon crawl genre or any newer gamers who have enjoyed Portal but want a medieval twist on puzzle solving with some combat added in for flavor! Expand
  46. Apr 27, 2012
    Fantastic puzzles, fun combat, and simple gameplay (not to be mistaken with hand holding, which this game does not do) creates a fun game. Great atmosphere and story makes this one of the deepest indie games I have played in a long time.
  47. Apr 27, 2012
    The new Dungeon Master is Back. Better then ever. That's what I call the ultimate Dungeon RPG!
    Hard puzzles and a great atmosphere. Can't wait for more Dungeons and Puzzles!
  48. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a nostalgia trip. It utilizes similar gameplay that you would find with old dungeon crawler games but with modern age graphics, and surprisingly it works very well.
  49. Apr 17, 2012
    I grew up playing these types of games, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, it's so refreshing to see a new version with updated graphics of these same classics. This is hands down one of the best CASUAL RPG's you can get today. You cannot beat the price, my hope is that they will continue these types of games and follow the Eye of the Beholder method of importing characters from game toI grew up playing these types of games, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, it's so refreshing to see a new version with updated graphics of these same classics. This is hands down one of the best CASUAL RPG's you can get today. You cannot beat the price, my hope is that they will continue these types of games and follow the Eye of the Beholder method of importing characters from game to game. The only thing that would be desirable is some sort of expandable storyline, but for a first new game of this style in decades it's so refreshing. Expand
  50. May 7, 2012
    Remember Dungeon Master on the Amiga? If not, even better! I have been waiting years for a game like this. It is almost impossible to stop playing. The puzzles are evil, the fighting a bit point and click, but that's what I want. I am more interested in the puzzle the game poses.

I haven't found any invisible walls yet, err, I mean walls that you can walk through, that aren't really there - like dungeon master, but I am only on a low level. I would also like a bit more of the click-something-five-miles-away, with something else, to open a door you never knew about.

But, it's compulsively addictive, I absolutely love it! When I bought it I thought: "I hope this is like Dungeon Master" and I have waited years to play another Dungeon Master - and this is it! 1 point deducted for the maps being just a little small (but that is being really niggley).
  51. Apr 23, 2012
    For what it is, it is a solid dungeon crawler with very well laid out puzzles and little hidden areas in the nooks and crannys of the dungeon. It just leaves a few things out that I think would make the game more enjoyable or more likely for me to play it through again.
  52. Apr 24, 2012
    Surprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live someSurprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live some nostalgic past experiences, as well as for younger players to grasp a bit of dungeon crawlers magic. Expand
  53. Jun 15, 2012
    I would be considered a "young gamer" and this is definitely my favourite game of all time. It
  54. Nov 28, 2012
    I play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODYI play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODY said they were so pretty). Thats what I can say about the appealing of this game. For the gameplay, I can say is wonderful, right click option is so beautiful, leveling system is simple but not dull, Spell casting system is a big hit for me. I love how it feels like a mage thing, not just a "click" thing, when you must remember and select correctly the runes for your spell, being under attack. Is not difficult (my mage killed more enemies than everyone else) and flavored. The only "bad" point about this game is the lack of NPCs interaction, like cities or shops, which could be awesome, making it one of the top 10 games ever, but without this, it just gets the title of Best Game of 2012. Expand
  55. Apr 12, 2012
    Grimrock is basically everything that you love about old school dungeon crawlers wrapped in an aesthetically pleasing package. The game plays smoothly, the puzzles (story/plot) are wonderfully challenging without being frustrating, and Grimrock understands that the best loot should always be both optional and extremely well hidden. Some folks might need time to acclimate to the real timeGrimrock is basically everything that you love about old school dungeon crawlers wrapped in an aesthetically pleasing package. The game plays smoothly, the puzzles (story/plot) are wonderfully challenging without being frustrating, and Grimrock understands that the best loot should always be both optional and extremely well hidden. Some folks might need time to acclimate to the real time UI, but eventually the realization will dawn that it simply adds tension and tension is the perfect emotion for dank dungeon crawls. If Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master make you shout in pleasure, pick this up immediately. Everyone else, and especially those who enjoy challenging games or RPGs in general, seriously consider this gem. Expand
  56. Apr 11, 2012
    This game is awesome. In a nutshell, interesting puzzles, an immersive environment that can keep you on your toes.
    BTW, there is a way to save ANYTIME you want to. Press ESC and you will see an option to save or load a game. I know, mind blowing right? Those "save points" in the game will do an auto save, and even resurrect fallen party members, but you can always do a manual save so that you don't all of your progress. This in response to Caitlin who gave it a "1" when they couldn't figure out how to save the game.

Try the game, I'm sure you'll like it.
  57. Jun 4, 2012
    Great return to the old dungeon crawler style of games. Not quite as in depth as games of yore: Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Bloodwych, etc. but hopefully with expansions and updates it can become the game it deserves to be.
  58. Apr 12, 2012
    Absolutely worth ever penny. Having more fun with this game than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim put together. The game rewards you well for exploring and solving puzzles so you end up wanting to complete all. Also highly refreshing to have a challenging game for once rather than only having to hold the fire button down. Legend of Grimlock actually makes you think how you're going to approach anyAbsolutely worth ever penny. Having more fun with this game than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim put together. The game rewards you well for exploring and solving puzzles so you end up wanting to complete all. Also highly refreshing to have a challenging game for once rather than only having to hold the fire button down. Legend of Grimlock actually makes you think how you're going to approach any giving situation, as there are plenty of traps, surprises and variety of cooling looking mobs that await your every turn. 10/10 Expand
  59. May 16, 2012
    Best game of the year so far. I can't stand crap that industry is serving us. We need go back to the roots of pc gaming. Games must be develop with people with passion not by marketing departments.
  60. May 16, 2012
    Reviewers that have given this game a low score do not appreciate that this game is a near-flawless execution of exactly what it intends to be. In terms of underlying mechanics and gameplay, this game is an almost two-decade throwback to grid-based dungeon crawler RPGs (like D&D Eye of the Beholder, one of my favorite PC games as a kid). However, the graphics and fluid 3D first-personReviewers that have given this game a low score do not appreciate that this game is a near-flawless execution of exactly what it intends to be. In terms of underlying mechanics and gameplay, this game is an almost two-decade throwback to grid-based dungeon crawler RPGs (like D&D Eye of the Beholder, one of my favorite PC games as a kid). However, the graphics and fluid 3D first-person motion are modern (I assume it is built on an existing modern FPS engine). The game is well-balanced, challenging but not frustrating (no illogical puzzles or impossible puzzles), and fun. Its is a fantastic value as well. Expand
  61. Apr 12, 2012
    An incredibly good game, why don't they make more rpgs like this? Unlike many modern games, Legend of Grimrock requires real skill, a sharp mind, a keen eye, and tactical thinking. And there's room for much more, once Almost Human releases the tile set there will be plenty of user made content, not to mention more dungeons made by Almost Human themselves.
  62. Apr 12, 2012
    A brilliant old school dungeon crawler. Very addictive and very intense when it comes down to the grid based combat. This isn't a game about quests or silly npcs who'd like you to kill 10 boars. No, this is a game about survival. Your four party members need to eat, rest and be in top condition in order to survive mount grimrock, they also need to be smart, traps and hidden treasuresA brilliant old school dungeon crawler. Very addictive and very intense when it comes down to the grid based combat. This isn't a game about quests or silly npcs who'd like you to kill 10 boars. No, this is a game about survival. Your four party members need to eat, rest and be in top condition in order to survive mount grimrock, they also need to be smart, traps and hidden treasures abound in this dungeon, and only a keen eye can keep the balance tipped in your favor. The game comes with a hardcore mode that eliminates the automap in favor of your own handcrafted map, which really says something about the intentions of the devs regarding player immersion.

One last thing, to the reviewer who whined about save points. You can save at any time during the gameplay from the ingame menu. So your point is moot, and only serves to show that you be trolling.
  63. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is great. I have so much fun remembering first Dungeon Master, but refreshed with decent graphics and sound. Love this game.
    Now i want more and i hope for next version which could bring much more characters to choose, relations between characters, external locations (like Ishar series), role-play actions, stores, etc.
  64. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is very good. Not all games now have a this level, but Grimrock is good almost at all. Good atmosphere, good graphic and good music , but I think, this game is not enough terrible. But it does not matter - game is realy good. Sorry for my English if it's bad - I am from Russia.
  65. Apr 13, 2012
    Excellent game, brilliant execution - atmosphere, balance and no bugs so far for me.
    I wish Almost Human sound financial success so we could have LoG 2 soon :)
  66. Apr 20, 2012
    Despite what others might say, a fantastic value at 14$, with the promise of user mod content and new campaigns I find it a striking value for dungeon crawl enthusiasts.

I would suggest however purchasing from GoG where you receive a DRM-free standalone as opposed to the steam version. On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual

On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual monitors and is a simple toggle in the game. It's nice to see a relatively low budget game run naively in a borderless window at 1080p. Some AAA games don't even have that feature.

The gameplay revolves around puzzle solving and dungeon fighting, kind-of like a real time turnbased game if that makes sense.
    It brings fond memories of tabletop games like D&D, take a look at some of the excellent video walkthroughs to see if its a game you would buy though, as it is not for everyone.
  67. May 1, 2012
    Nice game.
    Not much to say really: It uses old mechanic's; It is nostalgic; Puzzles are hard, but not "screw it!_let's_see_how_this_riddle_is_solved_on_the_internet" hard.
    Overall - 8 out of 10. It would be 9, but this kind of games grew out of my habit.
  68. May 4, 2012
    Six words: Like Dungeon Master with updated graphics. If this makes sense to you, then this may well prove to be a nostalgic experience. If not, then definitely try before you buy.
  69. May 16, 2012
    Very good game, complicated dungeons with tons of puzzles (not tiny Skyrim's retarded linear loops), old school forward-left-right-back movement surprisingly brings a lot of tactics to combat. Some interesting gameplay mechanics like pushing rune combination to cast a spell

Cons: at the end puzzles become annoying and don't make much sense (levels 9-10). Not enough exp to develop more than one skill
  70. Mar 16, 2013
    Grimrock is a engaging tribute to an era of RPG gaming many of us who played RPG's in the 90's sorely miss. It has some of the simple charm of the early Elder Scrolls (ie daggerfall) and Bard's Tale games. If you are a general fan of classic RPG's you'll enjoy Grimrock for at least a few hours of play.

The game is easy to pick up and play, the controls are intuitive and game doesn't require an extensive tutorial or preamble. My favorite part of my time with Grimrock thus far is that it doesn't have that oh so familiar (to modern RPG's at least) 'this will be fun once you level up high enough' feel. The game is about simple puzzles, character management and dungeon crawling. You are doing all three things within minutes of turning on the game. The character development seems a little simplistic and the puzzles/enemies seem to have a pretty low variation rate. That said this review is written with 2 hours of play time under my belt. Excited to go back for more but not wowed by anything except the simplicity and comfortable aesthetics.
  71. Jul 14, 2013
    It's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot ofIt's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot of fun exploring these vast dungeons. Expand
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    This is an INITIAL review. I have one hour in the game and was not sure if I would like it. But let me tell you, there is depth in this game. Plus the workshop.. Phew. Lots of content. It has gear, leveling (deep leveling in line with D&D) and the combat is not just "stand in front and attack" it makes you juke left and right to avoid incoming damage. Spells are great, you have to put aThis is an INITIAL review. I have one hour in the game and was not sure if I would like it. But let me tell you, there is depth in this game. Plus the workshop.. Phew. Lots of content. It has gear, leveling (deep leveling in line with D&D) and the combat is not just "stand in front and attack" it makes you juke left and right to avoid incoming damage. Spells are great, you have to put a sort of code in to execute a spell making memory very important. If you like crawling around and saying "oooooo what did i just pick up" then youl love this game. Summer sale is going on also on steam, pick it up for sure. Most people know ahead of time if they will enjoy a game like this, if its up your ally, then its a game for you.

For the more serious gamer, not so much for someone looking for a quick fix or lots of action. However combat is rewarding. I gave this game a 9 because it accomplishes what it seeks out to do. A great dungeon crawling experience.
  73. Dec 2, 2013
    This is a highly enjoyable role playing experience, as it's hard to find a similar one. The ability (or rather restriction) of moving from tile-to-tile rather than free roaming requires tactical decisions. The game manages to entertain you and it looks good while doing it.
  74. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, allow me to say that I am quite new to Indie games, but really like RPGs, still was not raised in the world of Dungeon crawling, so this game was a first one for me.

I did nevertheless enjoyed it a lot, to my surprise, spending around 50 hours in the game, trying to get all the secrets, experimenting with different armors and learning the mechanics.

Nevertheless the only reason I diminished my score from a 10 to 8 (I would rather give a 8.5) is:
    1. The last boss is quite boring.
    2. The game mechanics are a bit strange, specially how the attributes affect the playability and example being Overpowered Archers and Underpowered Armors.
    3. Story is a bit lacking.

Still this is an amazing game and I would definitely recommend it to RPG lovers!!!.
  75. Jul 13, 2013
    This game has beautiful graphics, detailed dungeons and a combat system different from most rpg's that teaches you to think and react quickly especially when it comes to the runes and throwing system. If you don't like to be forced to use your wit in fast paced battles (like all the people who wrote the negative reviews) don't buy it. But if you enjoy a deep dungeon crawler that challengesThis game has beautiful graphics, detailed dungeons and a combat system different from most rpg's that teaches you to think and react quickly especially when it comes to the runes and throwing system. If you don't like to be forced to use your wit in fast paced battles (like all the people who wrote the negative reviews) don't buy it. But if you enjoy a deep dungeon crawler that challenges you buy this. Expand
  76. Aug 18, 2013
    a refreshing puzzle game, its a nice change from action orientated RPGs such as skyrim and fallout, while still keeping the thrill of exploration and strategy combat, i highly recommend you try this game, you will not be disappointed
  77. Sep 13, 2013
    A modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zeroA modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zero NPCs to speak to, only monsters to kill) hold it back a bit. But for a first entry into what could become a great series (just needs more plot, character development, and RPG elements), Legend of Grimrock has promise. Overall a fun and fairly-priced game. Go get it. Expand
  78. Dec 11, 2013
    I have never been interested in dungeon games but Grimrock persuaded me that there is at least one true adventure which takes place within the four walls and infects everyone with claustrophobia. So many puzzles, breath-hold moments and atmosperic stuff that it is impossible to forget this journey.
  79. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is proof that sometimes it's best to go back to basics. Best dungeon crawler I've played in years! Definitely a steal at the current sale price!
  80. Apr 13, 2012
    This game throws back to the old days of dungeon crawlers such as dungeon master, while playing in real time, instead of turn based. I have never played these classics, but I now see why people did. This game is one of the best modern RPGs ever made, alongside others such as skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2. The game is incredibly immersive and lonely, and doesn't hold your handThis game throws back to the old days of dungeon crawlers such as dungeon master, while playing in real time, instead of turn based. I have never played these classics, but I now see why people did. This game is one of the best modern RPGs ever made, alongside others such as skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2. The game is incredibly immersive and lonely, and doesn't hold your hand throughout.

The tactic known as "chessing" where you move arround a enemy before he can turn and hit you is incredibly effective, and the developer knew people would use it, so as you play, the dungeons make this tactic more and more dangerous and require more concentration, with exceptions such as when you fight your first ogre. To improve the immersion, you also cant tell how much health your enemy has or how injured they are.

The game then gives some of the well balanced puzzles ever made, perfectly balancing coolness with difficultly.

The game is filled with secrets, often these can be as simple as a secret button made to look like a brick, other times it can be a bit more complex, but never insane, for eg, one puzzle requires finding a secret button, running a fair distance over some trapdoors which are timed to stay up for but a few seconds after hitting the secret button, then you run over them, hit a button, run to a now open trapdoor trap and jump inside to find a key to put in another keyhole to open a door which gives an item.

The game gives a good steady progression without giving the chance to grind, only 1 point of the entire game do enemies respawn, and these enemies give little xp, and are required for a puzzle. The graphics are suburb for a indie game, although it would be nice if so many walls did not have exactly the same moss placement and if there were more hidden button areas in walls, insread of 2 for every floor type. The game as many enemies, from the lowly giant snail or flying...thing, to the ogre and magical fire guardian, the monsters never feel repetive. Before you buy this game, while it is not unfairly hard, and generally only unfair if you placed yourself in a strategicly bad position, the game is NOT easy, and it requires thinking in order to survive grimrock mountain. Last but not least, this game is at least 13+ hours as i have played for 10 and not seen a few of the monsters seen in the trailer yet, but eventually a level editor and more dungeons will be released.

This game is a must have game, and i hope the developer makes more games, because only the best developers can make a high grade rpg game when they are only 1 man.
  81. Apr 12, 2012
    Having been a fan of many of the old style of dungeon-crawling games (like Dungeon Master, Ultima, Wizardry), I was enticed when this (now) niche genre was having a title developed for it. Expecting to see perhaps a remake of an old classic, I was pleasantly surprised to find in 'Legends of Grimrock' a game which pulls it's strengths, mechanics and roots from the dungeon-crawling games ofHaving been a fan of many of the old style of dungeon-crawling games (like Dungeon Master, Ultima, Wizardry), I was enticed when this (now) niche genre was having a title developed for it. Expecting to see perhaps a remake of an old classic, I was pleasantly surprised to find in 'Legends of Grimrock' a game which pulls it's strengths, mechanics and roots from the dungeon-crawling games of old, putting a refresher on the graphics, and retaining the core of the genre that it's adherents had come to love and know. Whether an old-timer and fan of the way games used to be, or of the younger generation of gamers with good taste (bless you, lads), this game is certainly worth a look. Expand
  82. Apr 13, 2012
    A lot of people tell me you have to be one of those people who played games like Dungeon Master during the 90s to enjoy a game like Legend of Grimrock. I for one have never played a dungeon crawler game ever and let me tell you this....Legend of Grimrock is seriously fun and engaging. I'm sure anyone who played those dungeon crawling games during the 90s will absolutely enjoy tinglingA lot of people tell me you have to be one of those people who played games like Dungeon Master during the 90s to enjoy a game like Legend of Grimrock. I for one have never played a dungeon crawler game ever and let me tell you this....Legend of Grimrock is seriously fun and engaging. I'm sure anyone who played those dungeon crawling games during the 90s will absolutely enjoy tingling their nostalgia. But for someone like me who is new to this sort of game, its new and refreshing to play and I love it. Expand
  83. Apr 12, 2012
    This is an old school gem that is absolutely worth it. The graphics are gorgeous, the riddles hard but always fair. The party based dungeon crawler is coming back to 2012 with this one. People who like fast paced popcorn games without challenge wont like it though. The character creation system could have been far more complex. But considering the size of the studio and the fact that thisThis is an old school gem that is absolutely worth it. The graphics are gorgeous, the riddles hard but always fair. The party based dungeon crawler is coming back to 2012 with this one. People who like fast paced popcorn games without challenge wont like it though. The character creation system could have been far more complex. But considering the size of the studio and the fact that this is their first game that does not lessen the fun. Especially considering the price.
    Must have for rpg and riddle fans.
  84. Apr 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant return of the dungeon crawler genre. It is exactly what you would expect it to be. For such game there is nice customization, skills, spell combinations, alchemy and what's more important big dungeon full of monsters to explore. Graphic is great, sounds are great. Only that should be fixed is sound volume adjustment (missing in game). Everyhing else works perfectly.
  85. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is perfect. No, I insist, it *IS* perfect. It is not skyrim or Battlefield 3. It is an old-style dungeon crawler and it is extremely good at what it does. It takes a LOT for a single-player game to grab and keep my attention. This one achieves that, hour after hour. I'm 12 hours in and I know I'll want to start it all over again once I'm done my first playthrough.

Grimrock's

Grimrock's gameplay is very simple. You are stuck in a dungeon and you need to get out through the bottom. Puzzles and combat are your main focuses during the game, and you have loot, inventories and skills to manage. The graphics are very good, the audio too. And the game is F-U-N. There are no bugs that I can tell, either. So, to sum up: A very fun game with no bugs that looks and plays great. Where's the downside? Right, there is none. It would get a 9.5 because of its un-innovative nature, but who cares, this game IS an old-style dungeon crawler. And possibly the best ever.
  86. Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't had as much fun in a game since Skyrim. Get it, it is such a refreshing breeze of fresh air in the polluted modern games market. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is fun. It requires intelligence and cunning to progress!
  87. Apr 12, 2012
    One of the few love letters to old school RPG fans.
    A modern classic.

If you love classic dungeon crawlers, you can not afford to miss this game. Buy it, play it, keep playing it, and wait for the tools to create your own dungeon
  88. Apr 11, 2012
    Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!

89. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  90. Apr 30, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added.Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added. Definitely worth the cheap $15, and an easy 10/10. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand
  92. May 2, 2012
    Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap.Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap. There is no way around it that LoG is a miracle in game industry. You don't need fanzy large scale ragdoll boosted open map to have great rpg. In a word, a game suited for IQ 130+. Expand
  93. May 8, 2012
    Now first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, INow first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, I think I'm going to play it again with a totally different party. Played it for 3h and still enjoy it (3 hours for an indie game is quite good, isn't it?).
    A game worth a score of 85%.
  94. Jan 9, 2013
    Very good game in the style of Might and Magic (a classic PC game). The graphics are outstanding and exploration really fun in those beautifully rendered environments. This is a game I recomment for people who like to explore dungeons and build up a party of interesting characters.
  95. pid
    Apr 12, 2012
    Great assets (graphics, music and sound) revitalize the long-lost old-school gameplay enjoyed by generations of gamers. GAD-kids may not understand this gameplay, but it's really that good and I can't wait for the user-created content. Running through more than once with a new party is also fun because the differentiation of races and classes is significant.
  96. Apr 11, 2012
    one thing what i can say...MASTERPIECE
  97. Apr 19, 2012
    A brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you haveA brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you have fired when walking over them. I have a few complaints about the game, namely the inability to swap between ranged and hand-to-hand fighting without rummaging around in your inventory to swap weapons in and out of the action bar while monsters are fast approaching/beating your face in. I feel they would've been better served having sets of items to equip which you can swap between with a base amount of time required to switch. Inventory management gets tedious due to the weight management system and sometimes having to throw items you might want to keep makes for long pauses in the action. Overall a great game, and definitely worth the $15 asking price. Expand
  98. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahh it was a great pleasure to crawl in that dungeon! It remember lot of good rememberings, with DM, EOB etc etc.
    I really have joy to play it and finished it. I think it is a little short. But the price is really short too ;)
    I hope the adventure will continue with add ons. If you loved DM style, I think you can't miss LoG!
  99. Ajh
    Apr 16, 2012
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on. The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on.

The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of a deal. If you want a challenging puzzle game that is incredibly immersive, this is a great game. Occasionally I found myself reloading a save spot for upwards of 30 minutes to get the puzzle solved. The sense of accomplishment when you finally solve it is worth the trouble. There is no hand holding in Grimrock. Best of all, they're releasing an editor to add more dungeons into the game.
  100. Apr 17, 2012
    The game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extraThe game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extra equipment) but that's the whole fun of it. Be prepared to spend much of your time looking for a secret button on a wall and such. The story line is nothing fancy, but still enjoyable. Expand
  101. Apr 17, 2012

Grimrock's

1. Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]