Legend of Grimrock PC

8.1

1. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is perfect. No, I insist, it *IS* perfect. It is not skyrim or Battlefield 3. It is an old-style dungeon crawler and it is extremely good at what it does. It takes a LOT for a single-player game to grab and keep my attention. This one achieves that, hour after hour. I'm 12 hours in and I know I'll want to start it all over again once I'm done my first playthrough.

Grimrock's

Grimrock's gameplay is very simple. You are stuck in a dungeon and you need to get out through the bottom. Puzzles and combat are your main focuses during the game, and you have loot, inventories and skills to manage. The graphics are very good, the audio too. And the game is F-U-N. There are no bugs that I can tell, either. So, to sum up: A very fun game with no bugs that looks and plays great. Where's the downside? Right, there is none. It would get a 9.5 because of its un-innovative nature, but who cares, this game IS an old-style dungeon crawler. And possibly the best ever.
  2. Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't had as much fun in a game since Skyrim. Get it, it is such a refreshing breeze of fresh air in the polluted modern games market. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is fun. It requires intelligence and cunning to progress!
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    One of the few love letters to old school RPG fans.
    A modern classic.

If you love classic dungeon crawlers, you can not afford to miss this game. Buy it, play it, keep playing it, and wait for the tools to create your own dungeon
  4. pid
    Apr 12, 2012
    Great assets (graphics, music and sound) revitalize the long-lost old-school gameplay enjoyed by generations of gamers. GAD-kids may not understand this gameplay, but it's really that good and I can't wait for the user-created content. Running through more than once with a new party is also fun because the differentiation of races and classes is significant.
  5. Apr 11, 2012
    Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!

6. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  7. Apr 30, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added.Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added. Definitely worth the cheap $15, and an easy 10/10. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand
  9. May 2, 2012
    Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap.Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap. There is no way around it that LoG is a miracle in game industry. You don't need fanzy large scale ragdoll boosted open map to have great rpg. In a word, a game suited for IQ 130+. Expand
  10. May 8, 2012
    Now first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, INow first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, I think I'm going to play it again with a totally different party. Played it for 3h and still enjoy it (3 hours for an indie game is quite good, isn't it?).
    A game worth a score of 85%.
  11. Jan 9, 2013
    Very good game in the style of Might and Magic (a classic PC game). The graphics are outstanding and exploration really fun in those beautifully rendered environments. This is a game I recomment for people who like to explore dungeons and build up a party of interesting characters.
  12. Apr 11, 2012
    one thing what i can say...MASTERPIECE
  13. Apr 19, 2012
    A brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you haveA brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you have fired when walking over them. I have a few complaints about the game, namely the inability to swap between ranged and hand-to-hand fighting without rummaging around in your inventory to swap weapons in and out of the action bar while monsters are fast approaching/beating your face in. I feel they would've been better served having sets of items to equip which you can swap between with a base amount of time required to switch. Inventory management gets tedious due to the weight management system and sometimes having to throw items you might want to keep makes for long pauses in the action. Overall a great game, and definitely worth the $15 asking price. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahh it was a great pleasure to crawl in that dungeon! It remember lot of good rememberings, with DM, EOB etc etc.
    I really have joy to play it and finished it. I think it is a little short. But the price is really short too ;)
    I hope the adventure will continue with add ons. If you loved DM style, I think you can't miss LoG!
  15. Ajh
    Apr 16, 2012
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on. The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on.

The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of a deal. If you want a challenging puzzle game that is incredibly immersive, this is a great game. Occasionally I found myself reloading a save spot for upwards of 30 minutes to get the puzzle solved. The sense of accomplishment when you finally solve it is worth the trouble. There is no hand holding in Grimrock. Best of all, they're releasing an editor to add more dungeons into the game.
  16. Apr 17, 2012
    The game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extraThe game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extra equipment) but that's the whole fun of it. Be prepared to spend much of your time looking for a secret button on a wall and such. The story line is nothing fancy, but still enjoyable. Expand
  17. Apr 30, 2012
    One of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&DOne of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&D games, but amid the wash of glorified cut scenes that modern gaming has become, this is a rare and brilliant gem. Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2012
    I agree that spell casting is seriously flawed. And there're not enough interesting spells. But I still love the feeling of the dungeon crawling and the puzzles.
  19. Apr 13, 2012
    Outstanding! My favourite Genre from 20 years ago updated with beautiful HD graphics, and they havent dumbed anything down! Very indepth, fairly hard, exploration is a dream, combat fun, the mechanics behind it are very solid. Can't recommend this one enough, especially at such a low price!! GET THIS GAME!
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    I just finished the game tonight. And it bring back memories of time long past when I played Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and such... Boy, that sure made me feel like an old-timer... ;-)

About the game proper, it is a solid game that bring an old formula that is simple to learn, but difficult to master. It is about Trial and Error (or Google search) Puzzle-Solving and tactical combat maneuvering.
    However, not all is perfect in the land of Grimlock...

Pro:
    - Graphics are good enough. As is the sound. Everything to have the feeling of being trapped in a closed Dungeon. And checking often for the 'hidden switches' to find secrets caches...
    - Ressouce management (Backpack space and weight, etc...) of what you should and should not carry is still a huge part of the game. Do I have enough (or too many) Torches? Food?... - Auto-map (optional, if you wish) is a breeze to use. Plus you can write notes on it, making even more enjoyable. - You can use the default group of 4 'convicts', or you can customize your party. Yes, you can have a party of 4 warriors or 4 mages... And try to live with the consequences...
    - In the New Game menu, you can only select Grimrock, but it is designed to select, I assume, future Dungeons. Also, a level editor is promised by the developers, giving even more replayability to the game...

Con:
    - Some puzzles are infuriating. The ones that forces you to push the direction buttons in the right order with the right timing, with no margin for error. Suffice it to say that for me, I had to try and reload A LOT! And I read in the game's forum that some peoples are just not able to solve them.
    I don't mind a tough puzzle, knowing that I can Google the solution if I really can't find the answer (I did it a few times actually, to be honest..), but these puzzles, research all you want, if you don't have the timing to solve them, you're stuck with no hope of progressing further. It is the ONLY reason I hesitate to restart a new game: knowing that these puzzles exists and having to pass them again... -2 Just for that...
    - Spellcasting for mage is tedious. I know it was, in my time playing Dungeon Master, but we're in 2012. It should at least remember the last spell you 'programmed' for each mages, so you only have to click on the mage hand, then on the throw spell. I hope they improve this in a future patch.
    For the Fighter or the Rogue, you only need one click to attack. But for a Mage, you need one click to open the spellcasting, 3 clicks to 'program' the Fireball spell, then another click to send the spell. Between 3-5 clicks needed each time a mage attack... -1...

All in all, a good game that bring back a genre too long forgotten by Developpers...
  21. Apr 13, 2012
    I will say that this game is meant for gamers of a different genre: the oldschool, dungeon-crawl lover. I've literally been waiting 7 years to see this game come to fruition, being hooked on Dungeon Master (SNES) and DM2 (PC/DOS). This game has it all, it's longer than previous titles with all of the features that I've fallen in love with from past years. Legend of Grimrock has a stellarI will say that this game is meant for gamers of a different genre: the oldschool, dungeon-crawl lover. I've literally been waiting 7 years to see this game come to fruition, being hooked on Dungeon Master (SNES) and DM2 (PC/DOS). This game has it all, it's longer than previous titles with all of the features that I've fallen in love with from past years. Legend of Grimrock has a stellar nostalgia feeling while being hip and new, blending the best of both worlds in an excellent way. With the ability to introduce new dungeons, Almost Human adds tremendous potential for expansion in this game. I simply cannot wait to see how this game progresses in the coming months. From Dungeon Master 2000 to Escape from Dragon Mountain and now Legend of Grimrock, I am simply thrilled with this game. Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2012
    If you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, andIf you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, and sound make it well worth the time to play. Never heard of the three games I mentioned at the beginning, you may want to play something else if you're really concerned about your $15, but if you long for the days of maps that you could plot on graph paper or $15 isn't that much of a hit, by all means give this one a go. Expand
  23. Apr 15, 2012
    I'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). InI'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). In the end, you win or lose due to your own skill not because of some random stats that make you invincible at level 3000. This should be on every RPG gamer's list. Expand
  24. Apr 13, 2012
    Ok maybe not a 10 but a 9 would fit better, but the extra point goes with a reason, when u'r over 30 u've been playing games for decades and memories...oh sweet memories
    Great game, you just have to take it for what it is, a dungeon crawler not a RPG (besides RPG on pc/consoles do not exist, playing with customization is not role playing, following a pre-written story isn't role playing either...ok enough hehe)
    What i liked most of this game?the atmosphere, is amazing
    4 guys made a real gem, every old gamer should have this and the younger ones..well give it a try, but beware this game doesn't babysit you ;)
  25. Apr 22, 2012
    AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

Based on Dungeon Master game, Legend of Grimrock goes the same way as its ancestor from 1987 and adding a bit more. Starting with 4 party characters, almost naked without weapons and hope, we r cutting through stages exploring story of Grimrock behind, secret rooms, deadly traps giant crabs, pissed skeletons, hungry ogres etc... must say am new in this type of RPG and am probably fell in love with it. Of course i cant argue with "Elite Old School Gamers from past ...", but i realy like it because of great puzzles and action fighting.

BTW: Who sais copying whole idea aint gonna work? .-)
  26. Apr 24, 2012
    The game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn'tThe game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn't become boring with the automap turned on. Almost Human found that perfect balance that most developers can't reach. You owe it to yourself to try this game. Expand
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    I absolutely love it ... it is fun, fast, has some of that just-one-more-monster feeling, game-mechanics are clear and make sense. Sure, the combat is not everyones style and some of the riddles are maddeningly complicated, but all in all, this game is great (and there are walkthroughs and char creation guides out there). Beginning my second play-through now ...
  28. May 9, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through theLegend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through the main story you will actually have to solve some pretty challenging ones.

In some aspects LoG has a better design than the old games it's based on. For instance having a lifestone in each level that will revive any dead characters means that you have to load your game when your last character dies, not the first one. The classes also offer you a wide range of options for specializing your character. Also LoG has the best alchemy game play I've ever seen. When you drink a potion you end up with an empty bottle. Then you can put something new in it and you'll have a new potion. The amounts of bottles you find determines the total number of brewed potions you can have at any particular time, not the total number you can expend during the game. Makes potions much more usable. The magic system is rather badly implemented though. Casting a fireball is a five click operation. First you have to open the spell interface, then click the three runes constituting a fireball and then click the "cast" button. In comparison swinging an axe is a one-click operation, which makes magic a bit useless. Why the spell interface isn't linked up to the num-pad is odd - it has the same shape and seems to be designed for that.

Combat works fine - some people seem to dislike the harder fights where you actually have to dodge around the enemies, slam doors in their faces, lure them into traps and jump on top of them through pits in the floor. I, however, found that very entertaining and I doubt my interest in the game would've been as high if you could just stand-and-fight every battle in the game.

In conclusion Legends of Grimrock is an absolutely fantastic game. There are no bugs, very few annoyances, lots and challenge, pretty graphics and I had a very hard time putting this game down before I got through it. I consider it worth every cent, and if the magic interface gets fixed I'll up the score to 10.
  29. Feb 4, 2014
    I bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want toI bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want to force you to move strategically and use your environment to your advantage. They don't want you to stand in front of a monster and just hit buttons. Same with magic, they don't want you just to be able to spam fireballs, there is a penalty for setting up and using spells.
    I hope this is the start of an old school revolution in gaming.
    No game is perfect, but this is exactly the type of game I have been waiting for.
  30. Aug 5, 2012
    I'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if theI'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if the buttons stayed selected, instead you have to keep re selecting each button..... gameplay suicide. Your ranged character is next to useless if you miss the bow which is in a secret area..... why ffs, then all she can do is throw rocks and a pointy bit of metal. The puzzles are well implemented if a bit nonsensical. If you are under 30 years of age you will probably hate this game but for those of us that spent hours drawing maps on squared paper this is a fun, if short lived, stroll down memory lane. Expand
  31. Mar 15, 2013
    I was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there areI was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there are GIGANTIC GLOWING CRYSTALS that refill your HP and energy for you and recharge every 5 minutes. Expand
  32. May 24, 2013
    Aaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possessesAaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possesses character, fun to play, has a built-in dungeon editor and something that's called Classic Mode (if i remember correctly) which sets you down with pencil and paper as in classical D&D Board Game i guess (i am yet to try it). To all the lovers of Wizardry and RPG's must try! Expand
  33. Nov 27, 2012
    Great game,reminds me of when I used to play Dungeon Master and all the other gems.Magic could do with a bit of work,and sometimes you do become slightly outnumbered in combat, which can be a bit of a downside to the game.Overall fun,addictive,well designed and well worth a sequel in my book.
  34. Dec 2, 2013
    Maybe the best game i played in the last 3 years. It's old schooled eye of the beholder-like. I want the android version, please.

I'm seriously waiting for the second part. And I want some healing spells.
  35. Jan 10, 2013
    This was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summerThis was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summer so I played this game for him. He would have been glued to his computer if he were still alive. My only negative, and it's not really a negative, was the ending. Thanks Almost Human crew!!! I'm ready for another. Expand
  36. Mar 7, 2013
    My first gaming love was Dungeon Master. Legend of Grimrock is basically an updated version. Explore the dungeon, solve puzzles and level up your characters. Whats not to like. The only reason its a 9 and not a 10 is that i completed it fairly quickly. Can't wait for more dungeons to crawl through!
  37. Apr 11, 2013
    Graphics: 9/10 Nicely bump mapped high-resolution textures. Lighting and shadow work are fantastic. Loses one point for not having more variety between tiles (vs same thing every single tile). Overall quite aesthetically pleasing.
    Gameplay: 10/10 Excellent balance between fighting mobs, and solving puzzles. Nothing too complex puzzle-wise, and it the puzzles make sense (vs some point and click games of yonder).
    Controls: 8/10 Rudimentary 90-degree turning system is used for controls, which some may not like (and others may become quite dizzy because of!). However most can get used to them. They also offer "mouselook" (hold right-click to pan into a new direction). An alternative method (albeit less practical), which can help with this. The system does work in terms of gameplay, in which, you can avoid enemy attacks, by moving to a diagonal block away from the enemy.
    Audio: 7/10 Good atmosphere and mood. Enemy sounds are also good. However it really misses out having no real music (but the benefit to this is you can play your own whilst playing).
    Multiplayer: NA
    Replay-value 10/10 The single player alone has room for playing it again (finding all secrets, getting all items/achievements, trying different builds). Where it really shines is not only providing access to a level-editor, it's featured in Valve's latest, Steam Workshop. New content for (at least) months, if not years to come.
    Overall 9/10 Almost Perfect
  38. Apr 9, 2013
    Captures all that is good of the old-school RPGs. It got also got graphic and an awesome soundtrack! It has also map editing that you can get from steam if you want another map to play on, and for such a low price, you should get it!
  39. Sep 8, 2013
    game design, balance and ui all feel half baked in grimrock which isnt surprising considering the team who made this consists of 4 artists. the real time combat feels clunky and most of the time you're looking over at your portraits instead of what's in front of you. strategy is also thrown out the window due to the real time decision; 90% of combat will involve you moving left/rightgame design, balance and ui all feel half baked in grimrock which isnt surprising considering the team who made this consists of 4 artists. the real time combat feels clunky and most of the time you're looking over at your portraits instead of what's in front of you. strategy is also thrown out the window due to the real time decision; 90% of combat will involve you moving left/right while clicking on your portraits. content is also very sparse considering the type of game this is.

dont waste your time on this and pick up etrian odyssey/dredmor instead if you're itching for a dungeon crawler.
  40. Aug 28, 2013
    When you try a few times to play the game and still have not been able to get into the story, graphics, control of the game and over all feel, it means the game is no good.

I did try to get into it about 8 times on different occasions, but not a game I like.

I am from old school, but this one is just doesn't cut it.
  41. Aug 30, 2013
    A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration.A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration. If you decide to try this game my biggest tip is to not look the puzzles up. The feeling when you finally crack it is worth its time and you will crack it eventually. Expand
  42. Sep 2, 2013
    It`s a great game! Although I haven`t played any dungeon crawlers before, it was a lot of fun. An inventive magic system, real-time (but still tactical) fights, ingenious riddles and secrets, and steam workshop with ample dungeons. Why not 10? Textures and monsters are quite repetitive, and there is a small delay between pressing the button and game`s reaction, which is irritating when itIt`s a great game! Although I haven`t played any dungeon crawlers before, it was a lot of fun. An inventive magic system, real-time (but still tactical) fights, ingenious riddles and secrets, and steam workshop with ample dungeons. Why not 10? Textures and monsters are quite repetitive, and there is a small delay between pressing the button and game`s reaction, which is irritating when it comes to some riddles. Expand
  43. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, I really love games that are exactly what they say they are. Fun game and such and such, if your in the mood for a nice little classic RPG then here ya go, It'll fill that little empty spot in you better than any male pornstar
  44. Oct 11, 2013
    Legend of Grimrock is a pretty good game. I've just finished it, and I feel like money weren't
    spent in vain. The challenge level is just right, most puzzles are not dumb, nor too difficult to
    solve. People complain here about controls. May be they are right, it was a pain sometimes, but for some reason I think that this game wasn't that good with more comfortable combat. Look, there
    for some reason I think that this game wasn't that good with more comfortable combat. Look, there is this aura of despair, food is.....bugs, first armor is sandals and weapon stones and knives. So, this controls issue adds up somehow. In my opinion.

The only problem with this game is replay value. Well, it's like in quests, the minute you know solution the reason to play another run disappears.
    Solid 9
  45. Apr 11, 2012
    Its really really bad, the movement lags, you cant move forward perpetually, just one tile at a time. what is this **** chess? most of the game is just puzzles, yea screw that, i came to PLAY, not think, the combat looks turned based but its not you cant even see your weapon and the enemies look like mushrooms get skyrim instead its a much better game this game doesnt even have a story howIts really really bad, the movement lags, you cant move forward perpetually, just one tile at a time. what is this **** chess? most of the game is just puzzles, yea screw that, i came to PLAY, not think, the combat looks turned based but its not you cant even see your weapon and the enemies look like mushrooms get skyrim instead its a much better game this game doesnt even have a story how can you play a game without careactors that you care about, why do you think they are called CAREacters anyway? play skyrim, play mass effect 3, but dont play this game

just kidding, Legends of Grimrock is freaking awesome. If you are on the fence you should play Dungeon Master first, its a free game originally made in 1987, there are plenty of reskins and remakes that run on pretty much every platform. If you enjoy Dungeon Master, you will LOVE Grimrock! If you enjoyed Dungeon Master but found it a bit too challenging, then you will still love Grimrock. Legends of Grimrock brings the old school first person dungeon crawler style into the 21st century, because the graphics are up to date, you will find yourself getting lost a lot less as you wont be mistaking one area for another, there is also an automap and a tutorial to help newer players, but overall, this is a classic dungeon crawler. Those "fake" criticisms i laid out are true, the movement is tile based, the combat is real time, and you cannot see your weapon. However this gives the game a certain feel that you either love or hate, combat will involve you sidestepping your enemies and using the mazelike environment to attack them off guard, taking advantage of the fact that if they are not facing you, they have to take the time to turn toward you before attacking, it may not be "realistic" but it lends itself to a certain playstyle that you will have to get used to. Like I said earlier, there is not a huge focus on story here, you are prisoners who must fight through grimrock to be pardoned, thats about it, no whining party members, no loyalty quests, just the creaking sound of the dungeon and the soft cackling of a torch, just how I like it. You can create your own party or select a premade party. Creating a party is the best way to go as you can select from a number of races and skills and 3 classes. I chose an entirely nonhuman party, Insectoids, Lizards and a Minotaur, not enough games let you play as monsters. Once in the dungeon you are on your own, you are given no starting weapons or items and must forage for everything yourself. This gives the game the "survival" element of classic dungeon crawlers. Unlike Dungeon Master, torches are much more abundant and last longer, darkness is not entirely crippling (partially due to the updated graphics) this gives the player much less of a ticking clock when trying to figure out the games many puzzles, some more hardcore guys might think that makes things too easy, i for one welcome it. Oh yes, and the puzzles, they are really challenging and you will spend much of the game solving them. Of course this is not 1987, you can go online for walkthroughs if you get stuck, but I do feel challenged by this game, and Im loving it. I probably would give this game around an 8.5, it brings an abandoned genre of role playing into the 21st century with amazing success in my opinion, its smooth, challenging, and a joy to play. I was hoping for a dungeon editor, I dont think it would be too hard to make as it is a tile based game, but i heard that they may be working on something like that, so one can only hope. Again, I reccommend you play Dungeon Master before you buy this game, but if you are looking for that type of thing, its well worth the money.
  46. Aug 5, 2012
    Advertises itself as an old school RPG but the only thing old school is the layout and movement control. Evidently the devs didn't pay any attention as to why turn based combat was used in these old games as the devs decided to make it real time. As a result you will get 2 attacks for every 1-2 attacks of the monsters, and you have 4 characters. It is not possible to have all your charsAdvertises itself as an old school RPG but the only thing old school is the layout and movement control. Evidently the devs didn't pay any attention as to why turn based combat was used in these old games as the devs decided to make it real time. As a result you will get 2 attacks for every 1-2 attacks of the monsters, and you have 4 characters. It is not possible to have all your chars attack before a monster gets multiple attacks. Even worse is that your spellcasters have to hit stupid rune keys to cast spells making them about useless in combat. Compounding this, your range chars will run out of ammo in the middle of a battle and will be dead before you can open the inventory to select new ammo. Game devs - there's a reason why turn based combat was used. A single person can't control 4 (supposedly independent) characters at once when combat is real-time.

This game has some of the sorriest combat I've ever dealt with in an RPG. It really ruined the experience. Most of the game you're getting mobbed so you have to do the stupid - attack, backup, attack, backup routine which is neither heroic nor fun. How could the devs have possibly thought this would be fun???? Even worse is that the devs often liked to release mobs that surround you before you could do anything so it is a nightmare at best.

Having to eat food is both annoying and useless. Were they trying to go for realism? If so then ditch the magic. There is a reason why most games didn't have it. It isn't fund. Fortunately we also weren't saddled with having to drink, go to the bathroom and sleep. At least an option to turn it off would have been nice.

The inventory system is clunky (especially in combat) and the chars can't carry enough to be useful so you micro manage the entire game as well. Most of the stuff you pick up is useless or unusable, at least when you get it.

The puzzles, an advertised feature, were nothing but timed plate pressing. It got really old by mid game. The "solutions" didn't even make sense. Trial and error was the only approach. Unfortunately the devs went back to the timed puzzles every chance they got. The heroes never felt powerful. They were always outgunned even against a single enemy because the enemies could hit faster and stronger. Spellcasters were horribly underpowered because: a) they had to get to a certain level before they could cast spells, b) they had to find the spells on scrolls, c) they had to wait after each spell, d) they had to have enough energy and e) they had to enter the correct rune codes. The skills available to all the chars were weak and took too long to build up. Why couldn't warriors wear heavy armor to begin with? Isn't that what they do?

Overall LoG did make me long for the Gold Box games. But LoG wasn't a shinying example of the power of them. If the devs had used turn-based combat rather than a Diablo-like system then the game would have been far more tolerable, at least until the 20th timed puzzle.
  47. Apr 16, 2012
    This game is everything that old school dungeon crawler fans could ask for. The environments are atmospheric, the puzzles are diverse and complex, the enemies are terrifying. With the game's combat however, the sooner you learn to kite enemies around the better.
  48. Apr 13, 2012
    If the phrases "Eye of the Beholder" or "Dungeon Master" mean something to you, then this is a must. I've been playing it for two continuous days now and apart from being nostalgic, it's fun, full of puzzles and has a very nice spell system. OK, it's not super 3D or anything similar, but I really - really like it (and it's price too...).
  49. Oct 9, 2012
    Could've been good but... combat was attrocious. In general the puzzles were kinda 'meh', the classes unispiring, and the techinques required to win being borderline exploits (you spend 90% of the game either running backwards in circles in combat, or 'sleeping' waiting for hp to regen). In the end it just got very boring very fast.
  50. Apr 13, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. TheLegend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. The only complaint I can really dredge up is that the controls are a bit clunky and combat may take some getting used to. Even then the game is really engaging, and totally worth the bargain bin level price of admission. Expand
  51. nop
    Jun 17, 2012
    I'll keep it short. Playing this game is like playing 4 Diablo characters at once without using item belt and spell hotkeys. Circle-strafing enemies one cell at a time while rapidly clicking multiple small buttons with mouse is what battles are in this game. Like somebody said before me, they are long mouse/keyboard dexterity tests which can frustrate even a seasoned starcraft player.I'll keep it short. Playing this game is like playing 4 Diablo characters at once without using item belt and spell hotkeys. Circle-strafing enemies one cell at a time while rapidly clicking multiple small buttons with mouse is what battles are in this game. Like somebody said before me, they are long mouse/keyboard dexterity tests which can frustrate even a seasoned starcraft player. Congratulations on resurrecting short-lived, inherently flawed, dead end branch of computer RPGs. There are multiple smaller problems I encountered, but these I can forgive in an indy game. Before voting this review down can you people care to explain why anything I said about gameplay is wrong, in your own review? Meanwhile I'll go play Orcs and Elves, Wolfenstein RPG or japanese Wizardry. Expand
  52. Jul 23, 2012
    A dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and rangedA dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and ranged units will never have enough ammo for any encounters that involves more than 1 mob leaving melee units the only viable option which then turns into running around in "circles" on squares, hitting the enemy repeatedly before the enemy AI even has a chance to react. The way you look around is quite awful too considering you need to "Drag and Drop" with the mouse and use Q / E to very violently turn 90 degrees which can create nausea. I appreciate where they were trying to go with this game but It just didn't do it for me in the long-run. Expand
  53. May 3, 2012
    Let's get this straight. Some features that improve simplicity in the newer generation games are necessary and they are a very welcome improvement over the past. I know we want to be nostalgic, but gaming has improved so much over the years. This game is therefore rendered outdated.
  54. Sep 26, 2013
    A real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end upA real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end up clicking in this game more per minute than say Diablo 3. Maybe this is something people like. I don't Expand
  55. Jun 16, 2014
    I really, really, really wanted to like this game. It was the first time I played a game like this since Lands of Lore. I don't know what I didn't like but by level 9 I was just not having any fun. And when a game isn't fun I stop playing. But for what kind of game this is, it's a 10.
  56. Jan 23, 2013
    im disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that thaim disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that tha magic is complex system and it should not be so easy but that just stupid talking. If i play the team i pressume that all that team do not have just one brain so if i use my time by rmb clicking on warriors axe so my mage in that time should prepare runes on himself - he is part of team so if i told him : prepare firebal and wait till i order u to cast it so as soon (cooldown time) as he can he make the rune and then just wait as i RMB on his hands. the way the game is now seems more hack/slash than diablo couse players who click faster are better(or the one with better mouse ) this is my way of thinking about roleplaing if i take control of other character, the one i order should do as i say - so with magic : if i cast fireball once and do not change my mind to other spell so he should always be ready on his own to cast fireball not waiting for me each time to say : this time use fireball. If one want to have magic works as it works there should be few options for that for people who want game more oldschooled and who thinks my way. I bought that game just yeasterday evening and wont play it until magic is repaired or make some options to choose to have it easier also next time i wont buy another game of this studio before i check on pirate version if its playable for me(and if they will not change the magic system i wont buy it at all) Collapse
  57. May 9, 2012
    As an oldschool PC player in the age of console ports, this game made me feel home, I loved it! And the execution is really outstanding, it mixes best parts of the classic and modern gaming, a masterpiece.
  58. May 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A good old fashioned game, with a decent work of development on environment and puzzles. But, after three or four levels, it become boring, with a gameplay a little bit poor and repetitive. All traps are identical, all mobs are morons and easy to kill. Good for a while, but no more than a half day. Expand
  59. Jan 7, 2013
    The attention that this game has been receiving is due more to the gaping hole in the gaming market for good-natured dungeon hack -and-slashes than it is due to this being a good game. Playing this game, yes, reminds me of playing Eye of the Beholder as a kid, but it lacks one crucial thing that all the little complaints point to; it is NOT FUN. The classes are shallow, the enemies areThe attention that this game has been receiving is due more to the gaping hole in the gaming market for good-natured dungeon hack -and-slashes than it is due to this being a good game. Playing this game, yes, reminds me of playing Eye of the Beholder as a kid, but it lacks one crucial thing that all the little complaints point to; it is NOT FUN. The classes are shallow, the enemies are drab, the dungeon has no soul or logic, the interface, dear god the interface. There is a reason that we now have hotbars, keyboard shortcuts, and such. Yes I would absolutely LOVE to see a well-designed indie dungeon crawler hit the market, but this is very sadly not it. Expand
  60. Sep 26, 2012
    muy buen juego para jugadores de rpg que añoran la vieja escuela , si por lo contrario no nunca jugaste a este tipo de rpg puede ser que te decepcione y no te guste
  61. Jan 21, 2014
    This game brings back a lot of memories, however it can not match it's predecessors, not even a bit. The game just lacks depth (few classes, no npc's, no classdepth, etc.) and modern controls (like the terrible spellcasting system). It looks like the game was made in 1990 or just for the iPad. The only positive point I can mention is that I like the idea of a remake of the old classic,This game brings back a lot of memories, however it can not match it's predecessors, not even a bit. The game just lacks depth (few classes, no npc's, no classdepth, etc.) and modern controls (like the terrible spellcasting system). It looks like the game was made in 1990 or just for the iPad. The only positive point I can mention is that I like the idea of a remake of the old classic, but this has been a huge disappointment.
    Also, I really don't understand why so many people rate this game so high, maybe they did it after seeing it and playing it for a few minutes, because I was siked too. After an hour I realized this was all the game had too offer and it is very little.
  62. Feb 24, 2014
    I had quite high expectations from this game. Wich turned out to be a fault. It isn't really bad game, but it also isn't exactly what I thought it would be. Many of the old school dungeon crawlers had quite a story attached to them. Not this game though. The atmosphere is there. To some extent. The old school feeling too. The difficulty curve is too steep for my taste. Something feels aI had quite high expectations from this game. Wich turned out to be a fault. It isn't really bad game, but it also isn't exactly what I thought it would be. Many of the old school dungeon crawlers had quite a story attached to them. Not this game though. The atmosphere is there. To some extent. The old school feeling too. The difficulty curve is too steep for my taste. Something feels a bit off about this game too, not sure if it is the characters or the general style of graphics. The game kept me entertained for about 6 or seven hours after which I concluded that this isn't exactly my cup of tea. However I do applaud to making old-school styled games in the modern setting. The new games can learn a lot in the history of gaming industry. Thumbs up for the overall concept. Expand
  63. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is little disappointment for me. At first, it is not RPG! It is dungeon crawler. This is reincarnation of old Dungeon Master. But it unfortunately is nothing near Dungeon Master 2, Wizardry or Ultima. There is no story, no quests, no money, no shops, no cities, no friendly NPC (so far), nothing. You just walk dungeons with items, fights, pushing hidden buttons to open next doorThis game is little disappointment for me. At first, it is not RPG! It is dungeon crawler. This is reincarnation of old Dungeon Master. But it unfortunately is nothing near Dungeon Master 2, Wizardry or Ultima. There is no story, no quests, no money, no shops, no cities, no friendly NPC (so far), nothing. You just walk dungeons with items, fights, pushing hidden buttons to open next door to next level (yes, there are levels). This game would be well suited if random level generator implemented, but it is not there. The level/items/bonuses/secrets are static. Very static. Graphics is Ok, monsters, "puzzles" are ok. Leveling/skill system is minimalistic, not much space for customization. Spell system looked like rune-based as DM, but it's not. You get few specific spells virtually as you level. No combination as in godlike DM2. Controls/GUI is fine, missing polishing, but it's ok, maybe updates will make it better. Game itself is well made. But I really miss those things that exists in all games after original DM. Expand
  64. Apr 18, 2012
    This is just some sort of a puzzle game with 1 billion switch plate all over the levels.You got to go back and forth activating devices left and right,and deal with a large numbers of teleports and also got to stare at all walls in the dungeon to make sure you don't miss any secret switch....yah staring at walls,fun fun fun lol.

There is an extremely limited numbers of type of mobs(you

There is an extremely limited numbers of type of mobs(you keep seeing the same stuff over and over) and very boring scenery, the exact same walls all over for several levels.

Honestly i had high hopes for this (was hoping for something of the same caliber of the old wizardry 8) ,but it's just a boring game.
  65. Apr 12, 2012
    I'm old enough to have played games like this when they represented the cutting edge of RPG technology. So when I saw Grimrock show up on Steam -- at a bargain price and with overwhelmingly positive reviews -- my heart leapt with nostalgic excitement. And... well, it's kind of fun, and yeah, it brings back pleasant memories of childhood dungeon crawling. I'm sure I'll get my $13 worth ofI'm old enough to have played games like this when they represented the cutting edge of RPG technology. So when I saw Grimrock show up on Steam -- at a bargain price and with overwhelmingly positive reviews -- my heart leapt with nostalgic excitement. And... well, it's kind of fun, and yeah, it brings back pleasant memories of childhood dungeon crawling. I'm sure I'll get my $13 worth of entertainment value out of it. But mostly, it's a reminder of how much better games have gotten over the past couple decades. It is what it is, and it's worth the price they're asking. But I suspect I'd be happier replaying Skyrim yet another time. Expand
  66. Jan 7, 2013
    I bought this because it was highly recommended by more quite a few people. I cannot see why. Here are the reasons why I hated this game, and recommend avoiding it entirely.
    1) 3 classes, garden variety, not much in the way of useful customization. 2) Real time in an RPG trying to be old-school
    3) Terrible controls 4) Blocky movement (part of 3) 5) Reflex based puzzles (see 3 and 4 for
    3) Terrible controls
    4) Blocky movement (part of 3)
    5) Reflex based puzzles (see 3 and 4 for part of the reason these are terrible)
    6) Almost entirely reflex based combat
    7) Absolutely terrible magic system, you are better off just filling your party with 2 of the 3 classes.
    8) Uninspired and quite frankly boring storyline.

I've played great old school rpgs, grew up on them in fact. This is not one of them.
  67. May 13, 2012
    I like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of theseI like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of these games, weakly - My rating -2/10 Expand
  68. gas
    Apr 17, 2012
    The game is a remake of Dungeon Master, and im enough old to remember it very well.
    This LoG is overall good and im not against this idea of remakes, but its strongly overpriced in my opinion, actually i payed 14 dollars for this title.
    Dungeon Master was massive, for the release time it was great under every aspect, it was 1 floppy disc on Amiga and i played it years before finishing it (without any guide).
    This LoG does what its promised overall so its a good remake, but its very short, its possible to finish it in 20 hours or less and compared to today pc game standards devs cant pretend to ask so much money imho, so i give it a 6 cause im quite pleased about the game itself, but the price is out of any logic.
  69. May 31, 2012
    I don't understand why this game is so overrated. I had to uninstall it after half an hour of gameplay. And it's not that I don't like RPGs: I do like them a lot, I've played many RPGs. But this one is just plainly boring. The fact that you walk on squares just feels weird. The fact that you walk "alone" on squares while you actually bring 4 people with you in those narrow passages is evenI don't understand why this game is so overrated. I had to uninstall it after half an hour of gameplay. And it's not that I don't like RPGs: I do like them a lot, I've played many RPGs. But this one is just plainly boring. The fact that you walk on squares just feels weird. The fact that you walk "alone" on squares while you actually bring 4 people with you in those narrow passages is even more weird. The dungeons are all the same and the environment gets quickly claustrophobic and ripetitive. Mobs have just one "robotic" attack, and your attacks must be made by clicking little squares in the right corner, while you see slashes on the screen and other poor effects. I perfectly understand that graphics isn't everything in a game, but here there is no enjoyable graphics or gameplay. I just couldn't stand it, it's a 3 for me. Expand
  70. Apr 11, 2012
    i think this game is absolutely terrible

ive been playing it for about an hour now and im bored as hell. The character customisation is really lame,no content to it at all. Its the same thing over and over,its boring as hell. It doesnt even have randomly generated maps,this crap means,when you die,you have to do all that **** again if you dont get to a save point. this kind of game
    i think this game is absolutely terrible

ive been playing it for about an hour now and im bored as hell.

The character customisation is really lame,no content to it at all.

Its the same thing over and over,its boring as hell.

this kind of game does not work in 2012,no matter how pretty it is.
  71. Jun 14, 2015
    Really boring game after playing newer RPGs like The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Shadowrun. I thought I would like it because I used to like Might and Magic, but it was just so boring and the gameplay style has been left behind.

AND OH MY GOD THE SPELL/MAGIC SYSTEM IS ATROCIOUS. That alone would make me never play the game again.
  72. Jul 16, 2015
    Unlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able toUnlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able to level up fully by the end so you'll have to spend points wisely and there's no economy so hoarding loot isn't viable and managing your inventory is a significant part of the game. The story, though not a big part of the game, is interesting at first and you find haunting letters along your journey that tell the tale of a prisoner that came before you. This all builds up to the ending which I unfortunately found to be a big let down. I was really interested in finding out what happens at the end but the final boss and big payoff was ultimately disappointing in my opinion. Other than that the game is well made and is an enjoyable experience. There are issues here or there but nothing major. Expand
  73. Sep 19, 2015
    The plot has no depth to it at all, which probably explains the unrewarding ending which consists of a couple of vague slides. What's to show if no story has been told? There's no explanation of anything in the game, apart from the intro sequence. The final encounter, while predictable, makes no sense at all because all you've done is return things to their previous status-quo. How doesThe plot has no depth to it at all, which probably explains the unrewarding ending which consists of a couple of vague slides. What's to show if no story has been told? There's no explanation of anything in the game, apart from the intro sequence. The final encounter, while predictable, makes no sense at all because all you've done is return things to their previous status-quo. How does help you at all?

Combat in virtually all encounters consists of sidestep-turn-attack over and over again. You can beat the strongest enemy with a butter knife with this simple tactic, and not get scratched. When it's not like this you're typically blocked in or surrounded, but that's usually avoidable. The end consequence is that all your character development is largely meaningless, because you either win easily or you're heavily dependent on the RNG in a battle of attrition. All it does is speed up your victory or slow down your death. I'm not sure if this is an innate flaw of the grid based mechanics of the genre, or this game simply lacks the gameplay depth of its genre forbears. I suspect the latter.

The character classes felt very unbalanced in respect to available pickups. Ranged weapons felt too weak, and considering the chore that was spellcasting it was also relatively underpowered. I also barely used alchemy at all, in fact the game would have been better without it completely. You don't need to use any potions in this game, it's just there because it's expected.

Solving puzzles and finding secrets was the most enjoyable part of the game, and the giant spiders were the most arachnophobia triggering of any game I've played.

While I can't say that I didn't have fun with it, it's hard to recommend. Put another way, I don't feel like I wasted my $5 but I won't be buying the sequel.
  74. Oct 5, 2014
    NO, this is -NOT- RPG. This is a super-repeating-to-death-pixel-hunting puzzle game. Stay away from this if you want to play an RPG.

This is not Bard's Tale, Wizardry or Might and Magic, like it claims to be. It is just a poor pathfinding puzzle game. Its stat/skill system and combat mechanics are broken and just don't work as they are supposed to be.

This is not Bard's Tale, Wizardry or Might and Magic, like it claims to be.
    It is just a poor pathfinding puzzle game.

All you do is strafing and kiting the enemies by tile, then mindlessly walking back and forth pressing stupid plates and torturing your eyes to find random switches on the ever-same-looking walls, all the way through the day and night.

And am I supposed to have fun doing that crap? HELL NO.

If I wanted an action adventure, I would play a real one like BioShock, not this boring pseudo-action game riddled with god-awful puzzles.
  75. Nov 12, 2014
    I really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I foundI really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I found incredibly addicting, but here... The small things I found annoying the most. Things like real-time combat which was made to be turn-based. Like potion making - very unintuitive. Like using spells, where you have to create a rune combo each time you want to cast a damn fireball. All-in-all, it turned out to be a game for a real die-hard Eye of the Beholder, Black Crypt and Lands of Lore fans. Expand
  76. Jan 4, 2013
    A fantastically made modern take on the old-school, grid movement styled dungeon crawler. Customize your party, then delve into a dungeon filled with monsters, treasures and devious puzzles. All of it taking place in a beautifully rendered world. This isn't the best RPG of 2012, nor the best indie game of 2012. It's simply the best game of any kind in 2012.

Not only is the game cheap as

Not only is the game cheap as Hell, but comes complete with a powerful dungeon editor, letting Grimrock's players create custom dungeons that you can download and play.
  77. Jun 13, 2015
    This game is misclassified as a RPG. It's mostly a puzzle game with some very
    few elements of role playing.
    The good: Nicely rendered and immersive environment. Initially captivating story. Innovative way of presenting clues. Real feeling of accomplishment when completing a level. Unobtrusive soundtrack well suited to the somber environment. On demand save game capability. The
    This game is misclassified as a RPG. It's mostly a puzzle game with some very
    few elements of role playing.

save game capability.

The bad: Impossible to control party characters individually. Too many timed puzzles
    solely based on the player's ability to hit keyboard keys quickly and in a determined
    (physiologically unnatural) sequence. Too many location based spawning and re-spawning
    of foes. Limited almost predetermined character development with some levels
    requiring one specialization and others a completely different one and there is not
    enough points available to do this. Too many obtuse and pixel hunting puzzle
    requiring the use of a guide.

Conclusion: If you're the puzzles and "the quickness keyboard fingers in town" type
    then this is definitely a game for you. For a true RPG fan, it's more "oh no, not again"
    over and over and over....
  78. Nov 9, 2015
    Playing this with the sequel in mind, it's a much simpler, more confined experience, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Where the sequel is much more open and encourages exploration, this one's more about overcoming the dungeon before you, going deeper and deeper, floor by floor, as challenges and rewards alike escalate. You won't get lost, but you'll find plenty of secrets if youPlaying this with the sequel in mind, it's a much simpler, more confined experience, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Where the sequel is much more open and encourages exploration, this one's more about overcoming the dungeon before you, going deeper and deeper, floor by floor, as challenges and rewards alike escalate. You won't get lost, but you'll find plenty of secrets if you poke around a little. It's shorter, but there's much less time spent wandering.

Played without the sequel in mind, this is God's gift to dungeon-crawl fans, taking all the old-school things you enjoyed and decorating them in modern graphics and sound. It's not as hard, even on hard, as those older games, but it captures the spirit of them perfectly with solid mechanics and atmosphere. It's a fantastic adventure, even if the final act is a bit of a letdown, and well worth playing even if you've already played the fancier second game.
  79. Jan 23, 2013

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. Games Master UK
    May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]