Legend of Grimrock PC

8.1

1. Jul 16, 2015
    Unlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able toUnlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able to level up fully by the end so you'll have to spend points wisely and there's no economy so hoarding loot isn't viable and managing your inventory is a significant part of the game. The story, though not a big part of the game, is interesting at first and you find haunting letters along your journey that tell the tale of a prisoner that came before you. This all builds up to the ending which I unfortunately found to be a big let down. I was really interested in finding out what happens at the end but the final boss and big payoff was ultimately disappointing in my opinion. Other than that the game is well made and is an enjoyable experience. There are issues here or there but nothing major. Expand
  2. Jun 14, 2015
    Really boring game after playing newer RPGs like The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Shadowrun. I thought I would like it because I used to like Might and Magic, but it was just so boring and the gameplay style has been left behind.

AND OH MY GOD THE SPELL/MAGIC SYSTEM IS ATROCIOUS. That alone would make me never play the game again.
  3. Dec 13, 2012
    A fantastic old-school first person dungeon crawler full of hidden passages, complex puzzles, and difficult combat. The graphics and sound design are amazing considering the game is only 600mbs. Most of the music is ambience leading to a calm gameplay experience... until a skeleton rushes around a corner and makes you jump. Old style games like this have a terror of their own with theA fantastic old-school first person dungeon crawler full of hidden passages, complex puzzles, and difficult combat. The graphics and sound design are amazing considering the game is only 600mbs. Most of the music is ambience leading to a calm gameplay experience... until a skeleton rushes around a corner and makes you jump. Old style games like this have a terror of their own with the lighting and sound effects. When your torch goes out, it is pitch black until your characters "eyes" adjust and even then you can barely see. The only real complaint I have is the combat can be frustrating when you get body-blocked into a corner or are simply overpowered because of poor stat placement or equip. If you go into this expecting "Amnesia with swords" instead of "Skyrim without towns" you will have a great experience. Be prepared for a game that wants to beat you down; save often and take map notes because you will need all the help you can get. Expand
  4. May 24, 2013
    Aaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possessesAaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possesses character, fun to play, has a built-in dungeon editor and something that's called Classic Mode (if i remember correctly) which sets you down with pencil and paper as in classical D&D Board Game i guess (i am yet to try it). To all the lovers of Wizardry and RPG's must try! Expand
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    Excellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just wantExcellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just want to try out the old style of gaming, this is a great way to try it out. I love the fact that games like this are being made today and I was ready to give this a full score, but that ending, oh man, that ending was really disappointing. 9/10 Expand
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    A throwback to another age of PC gaming mixed with modern mechanics. This game is highly enjoyable and now with Steam Workshop opens the game up to a long shelf life. Give it a go.
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. TheLegend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. The only complaint I can really dredge up is that the controls are a bit clunky and combat may take some getting used to. Even then the game is really engaging, and totally worth the bargain bin level price of admission. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    If the phrases "Eye of the Beholder" or "Dungeon Master" mean something to you, then this is a must. I've been playing it for two continuous days now and apart from being nostalgic, it's fun, full of puzzles and has a very nice spell system. OK, it's not super 3D or anything similar, but I really - really like it (and it's price too...).
  9. Jan 30, 2014
    Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system.Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system. Grimrock is really great game and i must recommend it to everyone who like dungeons. Expand
  10. Sep 13, 2013
    A modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zeroA modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zero NPCs to speak to, only monsters to kill) hold it back a bit. But for a first entry into what could become a great series (just needs more plot, character development, and RPG elements), Legend of Grimrock has promise. Overall a fun and fairly-priced game. Go get it. Expand
  11. Dec 8, 2012
    OMG! Dungeon Master resurrected! Can't stop playing now! So far, excellent! Is also now part of the Steam Workshop so replay value has greatly improved with people all around the world submitting their dungeons.
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    A real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end upA real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end up clicking in this game more per minute than say Diablo 3. Maybe this is something people like. I don't Expand
  13. Aug 5, 2012
    Advertises itself as an old school RPG but the only thing old school is the layout and movement control. Evidently the devs didn't pay any attention as to why turn based combat was used in these old games as the devs decided to make it real time. As a result you will get 2 attacks for every 1-2 attacks of the monsters, and you have 4 characters. It is not possible to have all your charsAdvertises itself as an old school RPG but the only thing old school is the layout and movement control. Evidently the devs didn't pay any attention as to why turn based combat was used in these old games as the devs decided to make it real time. As a result you will get 2 attacks for every 1-2 attacks of the monsters, and you have 4 characters. It is not possible to have all your chars attack before a monster gets multiple attacks. Even worse is that your spellcasters have to hit stupid rune keys to cast spells making them about useless in combat. Compounding this, your range chars will run out of ammo in the middle of a battle and will be dead before you can open the inventory to select new ammo. Game devs - there's a reason why turn based combat was used. A single person can't control 4 (supposedly independent) characters at once when combat is real-time.

This game has some of the sorriest combat I've ever dealt with in an RPG. It really ruined the experience. Most of the game you're getting mobbed so you have to do the stupid - attack, backup, attack, backup routine which is neither heroic nor fun. How could the devs have possibly thought this would be fun???? Even worse is that the devs often liked to release mobs that surround you before you could do anything so it is a nightmare at best.

Having to eat food is both annoying and useless. Were they trying to go for realism? If so then ditch the magic. There is a reason why most games didn't have it. It isn't fund. Fortunately we also weren't saddled with having to drink, go to the bathroom and sleep. At least an option to turn it off would have been nice.

The inventory system is clunky (especially in combat) and the chars can't carry enough to be useful so you micro manage the entire game as well. Most of the stuff you pick up is useless or unusable, at least when you get it.

The puzzles, an advertised feature, were nothing but timed plate pressing. It got really old by mid game. The "solutions" didn't even make sense. Trial and error was the only approach. Unfortunately the devs went back to the timed puzzles every chance they got. The heroes never felt powerful. They were always outgunned even against a single enemy because the enemies could hit faster and stronger. Spellcasters were horribly underpowered because: a) they had to get to a certain level before they could cast spells, b) they had to find the spells on scrolls, c) they had to wait after each spell, d) they had to have enough energy and e) they had to enter the correct rune codes. The skills available to all the chars were weak and took too long to build up. Why couldn't warriors wear heavy armor to begin with? Isn't that what they do?

Overall LoG did make me long for the Gold Box games. But LoG wasn't a shinying example of the power of them. If the devs had used turn-based combat rather than a Diablo-like system then the game would have been far more tolerable, at least until the 20th timed puzzle.
  14. May 9, 2012
    As an oldschool PC player in the age of console ports, this game made me feel home, I loved it! And the execution is really outstanding, it mixes best parts of the classic and modern gaming, a masterpiece.
  15. Nov 9, 2015
    Playing this with the sequel in mind, it's a much simpler, more confined experience, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Where the sequel is much more open and encourages exploration, this one's more about overcoming the dungeon before you, going deeper and deeper, floor by floor, as challenges and rewards alike escalate. You won't get lost, but you'll find plenty of secrets if youPlaying this with the sequel in mind, it's a much simpler, more confined experience, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Where the sequel is much more open and encourages exploration, this one's more about overcoming the dungeon before you, going deeper and deeper, floor by floor, as challenges and rewards alike escalate. You won't get lost, but you'll find plenty of secrets if you poke around a little. It's shorter, but there's much less time spent wandering.

Played without the sequel in mind, this is God's gift to dungeon-crawl fans, taking all the old-school things you enjoyed and decorating them in modern graphics and sound. It's not as hard, even on hard, as those older games, but it captures the spirit of them perfectly with solid mechanics and atmosphere. It's a fantastic adventure, even if the final act is a bit of a letdown, and well worth playing even if you've already played the fancier second game.
  16. Jun 16, 2014
    I really, really, really wanted to like this game. It was the first time I played a game like this since Lands of Lore. I don't know what I didn't like but by level 9 I was just not having any fun. And when a game isn't fun I stop playing. But for what kind of game this is, it's a 10.
  17. Aug 18, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoilIt's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail). I generally don't like that kind of stuff, so that was very disappointing for me.
    It also seems that one doesn't get anything for collecting certain things throughout the dungeon. Nothing unlocked, no special artwork, not even a text mentioning how awesome you are. I guess they're just there for achievements.
    Aside from these things, I've thoroughly enjoyed this adventure though. And at ~15 hours pretty lengthy too (especially considering the price).
  18. Jul 13, 2012
    No. Just no. I played Dungeon Master plenty, Secret of the Silver Blades/Pools/etc old TSR D&D PC fare, and I am a huge fan of the much maligned Wizards & Warriors, so I should be overjoyed to be playing a resurrected high res romp into The Oldschool memories of yesteryore... but tis not to be, as this game just plain sucks. It's not that it's hard, as I play every game I own on theNo. Just no. I played Dungeon Master plenty, Secret of the Silver Blades/Pools/etc old TSR D&D PC fare, and I am a huge fan of the much maligned Wizards & Warriors, so I should be overjoyed to be playing a resurrected high res romp into The Oldschool memories of yesteryore... but tis not to be, as this game just plain sucks. It's not that it's hard, as I play every game I own on the hardest mode available because I love challenging, thinking games, and I don't consider this game inherently hard as it's far too simple to be difficult. No, it's the maddening design flaws that marked those older dungeon crawler titles have been resurrected too, and in some cases they're even worse because this is 2012 and such poor design is unacceptable. Pixel hunts? Come now, this is 2012. Nobody wants to scan low res wall texture after low res floor texture (repeated 100 quadrillion times throughout the course of this bore) looking for a slightly different looking piece of rock that the developers want you to click on to continue.

How about the utterly dull story, lack of characterization, lack of NPCs, lack of dialogue, lack of character customization, terrible art design, incredibly dull and repetitive dungeons, lack of ability to see your characters or their equipment, and not even a 2D paperdoll? What about the lack of essential hotkeys? I'm sure everyone loves clicking 600 times a minute for a game that, had it been released in 1990, would not have had mouse support. Click to pick up the sandals, click to drop sandals on a character, press 1 or click on char face for inventory, click to pick up key, click to place key on character, click key on character to pick key back up, click key on keyhole to unlock door, click door to open. Why no hotkey for auto loot? Why not even allow doubleclicking an item to pick it up? Why make the interface excessively difficult and cumbersome? A staff of 4 isn't an excuse -- it only takes 1 person to design a workable interface, and you failed.

How about pushing the user into dead ends that require a reload to continue, and entirely without warning? What about the player who saves after passing a dead end "point of no return" as I did twice within the first 30 minutes of the game, necessitating a total restart both times as the autosave was all the way back at the beginning of the level? Appallingly bad, frustrating, and stupid design.

I was an idiot for not testing this game before I paid money for it. I bought it on the strength of metacritic user aggregate, the fact that I am a massive fan of oldschool strategic/puzzle dungeon crawlers, and the positive word of mouth, but I should have tried it for myself first. It's bland, frustrating, uninspired, full of design flaws, and desperately dull. At least it was cheap and easily forgotten.
  19. Feb 4, 2014
    I bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want toI bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want to force you to move strategically and use your environment to your advantage. They don't want you to stand in front of a monster and just hit buttons. Same with magic, they don't want you just to be able to spam fireballs, there is a penalty for setting up and using spells.
    I hope this is the start of an old school revolution in gaming.
    No game is perfect, but this is exactly the type of game I have been waiting for.
  20. Jul 23, 2012
    A dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and rangedA dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and ranged units will never have enough ammo for any encounters that involves more than 1 mob leaving melee units the only viable option which then turns into running around in "circles" on squares, hitting the enemy repeatedly before the enemy AI even has a chance to react. The way you look around is quite awful too considering you need to "Drag and Drop" with the mouse and use Q / E to very violently turn 90 degrees which can create nausea. I appreciate where they were trying to go with this game but It just didn't do it for me in the long-run. Expand
  21. May 13, 2012
    I like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of theseI like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of these games, weakly - My rating -2/10 Expand
  22. Jun 17, 2012
    I guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, asI guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, as it looked unlike anything I've experienced before. And it is. It's a new and fresh, rather than nostalgic, experience for me. Choosing your own characters is a great feature, and it's even better that you get to choose their stats and traits. However, the bad thing is that if you choose the wrong stats you end up with a very unsuitable party to play the game all the way through, and it often amounts to starting over and over and over until you create the ideal setup, which is tedious. The game's also very hard - and I mean very very, old-school-nintendo-pop-in-another-token-and-try-again hard, so expect a lot of "GAME OVER"s being thrown in your face. Stylistically, the game's very strictly Traditional High Fantasy, and the game's name is so stereotypically geeky that I doubt anyone will be finding any girlfriends through playing it. This isn't exactly a bad thing, I guess I just sort of expected something more...subversive. Overall, I think this game tries to appeal a bit too much to the old '90s gaming veterans and not to the younger set, who come from a completely different gaming background. It's old-fashioned and not very adaptable. I think it'd benefit most from adding a difficulty setting that determined the challenge of the puzzles rather than just the toughness of the enemies. Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2014
    I really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I foundI really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I found incredibly addicting, but here... The small things I found annoying the most. Things like real-time combat which was made to be turn-based. Like potion making - very unintuitive. Like using spells, where you have to create a rune combo each time you want to cast a damn fireball. All-in-all, it turned out to be a game for a real die-hard Eye of the Beholder, Black Crypt and Lands of Lore fans. Expand
  24. gas
    Apr 17, 2012
    The game is a remake of Dungeon Master, and im enough old to remember it very well.
    This LoG is overall good and im not against this idea of remakes, but its strongly overpriced in my opinion, actually i payed 14 dollars for this title.
    Dungeon Master was massive, for the release time it was great under every aspect, it was 1 floppy disc on Amiga and i played it years before finishing it (without any guide).
    This LoG does what its promised overall so its a good remake, but its very short, its possible to finish it in 20 hours or less and compared to today pc game standards devs cant pretend to ask so much money imho, so i give it a 6 cause im quite pleased about the game itself, but the price is out of any logic.
  25. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  26. Mar 18, 2014
    This is kind of like visiting the old Eye of the Beholder games which I thought wouldn't work because of the static feel of the playing style. However, I was wrong. It's still fun, great fun. The game itself has a few flaws and the ending is fairly weak and abrupt but overall, this is nostalgia when it works!
  27. Apr 13, 2012
    I suspect a lot of people throwing out these 10s haven't made it past the half way mark of the game when the need for constant reloading arises. Grimrock has a great idea, but a flawed execution. The worst of all is the painful way you're forced to spell cast by manually clicking on runes every time EVEN when you're just repeating the same spell. This badly needs to get patched. It'sI suspect a lot of people throwing out these 10s haven't made it past the half way mark of the game when the need for constant reloading arises. Grimrock has a great idea, but a flawed execution. The worst of all is the painful way you're forced to spell cast by manually clicking on runes every time EVEN when you're just repeating the same spell. This badly needs to get patched. It's like a mini game testing your mouse dexterity and it will kill you over and over. Also the game difficulty goes right off the charts by the time you're halfway through. I'm all for a challenge, but Grimrock's "Normal" difficulty would be "Nightmare" by the standards of any game I've ever played, and there's no way to lower the difficulty without starting over. Also, in the later half of the game, dodging becomes crucial, but the game's odd, chess-board like grid movement system makes this a frustrating crap shoot of random death. The game makes a fantastic first impression, but eventually turns into a frustrating reload-a-thon only the most OCD gamers will put up with. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles feltThis game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles felt really rewarding to solve, others had me totally confused (especially some of the teleportpuzzles) but overall they were great. Playtime was 19 hours for me on my first playthrough while consulting a walkthrough 2 or 3 times. Replayability seems to be strong, i can't wait to start a new game and find all the missed treasures and secrets and try a totally different groupcombo with different skillsets and weapons. On the downsite, I didn't like the last level very much, it felt hectic and unnecessary. the bossfight felt unsatisfying and annoying with many monsters constantly blocking you. Overall it is a great title for an amazing price. 8/10 Expand
  29. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. Games Master UK
    May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]