8.1

1. Apr 13, 2012
    A game so much reminding me the good old days, that I'm not surprised at all that it was made by an independent developer studio - none of the big sales-orientated companies would ever make something SO MUCH old school. It's just like a sequel to Dungeon Master 1, with a little bit of Lands of Lore mixed in? And the production quality (= graphics and such) is pretty high, especially whenA game so much reminding me the good old days, that I'm not surprised at all that it was made by an independent developer studio - none of the big sales-orientated companies would ever make something SO MUCH old school. It's just like a sequel to Dungeon Master 1, with a little bit of Lands of Lore mixed in? And the production quality (= graphics and such) is pretty high, especially when you know that the game was made by only 4 people!! It's just an old school dungeon crawled with hex-by-hex movement, real time combat, rune magic, easy and somehow intuitive character's stat system. I'm having great fun with it, and with starting price about 12 dollars it's just a bargain! If you have ever played Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Ishar or Eye of the Beholder, this is a must have for you!! Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2012
    This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title,This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title, I will give it a 10 because it is just that good. My ONLY complaint would be the lack of more character portraits to choose from, but that's pretty minor and can be added in later. I love the that the option is included to turn off auto-mapping and you can print out included graph paper to map it yourself. Old school D&D players will love that! I'm a bit too scared to try it...for now :-) Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    It's game from past - time of Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and Might&Magic 1-5. And now it returns with HD graphics.
    It might disappoint "young" gamers, but thous who started playing in mid 90 - you will love this game.
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    Not for people who think skyrim is great, only for people who are great. The game damn is. Great puzzles, not too hard, but they still make you think.
  5. Apr 11, 2012
    Have been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is justHave been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is just awesome. Sure the tiles are repeated, but what do you expect in a dungeon game. Loot is pretty superb as well. Keep finding different armour with different trade-offs. Haven't even beaten the first dungeon of many to come and already I can say this game was worth the $15 it goes for when not on sale. And I didn't even have to spend that much with the pre-order! Great game! If you loved older dungeon crawlers or are just looking for a new game to play, this should be at the top of your to-get list! Very well made. Looking forward to the new dungeons and other things to come for this game! Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    This is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult yourThis is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult your intelligence. Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2012
    Excellent "blast from the past" dungeon crawl. Great atmospherics, easy inventory management and fun, but not irritating puzzles. I forgot how much I enjoyed this type of a game. Really a gem, especially in the under $15 category. Highly recommended, especially for those who long for the old great Bard's Tale, Ultima, Dungeon Master type games.
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Finally a game which holds the feeling of the renaissance era of great gaming years! A must have for the first electronic gaming generation. Perfect representation of the classical deungeon crawling style.
  9. Apr 11, 2012
    This is the best clone of Dungeon Master in 2012.
    Best gameplay, best graphics, best.... all !!!
    Goty 2012 :-)
  10. Jul 19, 2012
    A must for fans of old-school RPGs. Excellent visuals, nive old-school feeling achieved through grid based movement with smooth animated transitions. A lot of exploration and an interesting story weaved in-between. A classic!
  11. Jun 24, 2012
    Games is pretty neat, so fun and awesome, there's a lot of settings for the dungeons and your 4 characters, the game is so progressive and every puzzle is different, the game is visually perfect and the gameplay is very comfortable.
  12. Jul 19, 2012
    Ahh...nostalgia. Do you remember games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder? Well, if you do and liked them, you are really going to love Legend of Grimrock. It's just like old times. If you are to "young" to remember this game, it is a classical old-fashioned dungeon crawler experience. Find a 2x2 square and start slashing at the monsters and never ever get cornered.
  13. Aug 18, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoilIt's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail). I generally don't like that kind of stuff, so that was very disappointing for me.
    It also seems that one doesn't get anything for collecting certain things throughout the dungeon. Nothing unlocked, no special artwork, not even a text mentioning how awesome you are. I guess they're just there for achievements.
    Aside from these things, I've thoroughly enjoyed this adventure though. And at ~15 hours pretty lengthy too (especially considering the price).
  14. Jul 14, 2012
    Bought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never getBought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never get to see your characters, and you all only take up one space, so all of your guys are working together as a unit, though individuals can still die if you don't watch what you're doing.. You can also pick custom character portraits for them, which make it a lot of fun if you make up your team from your friends. The combat's pretty sweet and the puzzles are good enough to be fun and not frustrating, and some pretty interesting **** happens at around level 5, if you're paying attention. Pick this one up.

Soon there's gonna be a map editor, so we can make our own sweet dungeons. I was also slightly surprised to see that levels aren't randomly generated, that would have been awesome.
  15. Jul 8, 2012
    A wonderful surprise for us older gamers who loved the original styles, and this brings the model up to date with good graphics and surprising detail. Also nice that it was a small indie firm who were genuinely pleased and excited it was so popular, that made it a pleasure to hand over some money to play it.

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently waiting for new content and the long-promised user-submitted maps and dungeon editor. Come on!

Bargain of the year along with Toy Soldiers.
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    The best gaming experience I had lately. Simple controls, difficult puzzles, good graphics, great atmosphere, exciting fights, team customisation and levelling. It provides the best a game like this can provide.
    The dungeons remind me of the dwemer dungeons of Skyrim.
  17. Jul 8, 2012
    This is an outstanding homage to the Eye of the Beholder type games, as you know by now.

They get most things very right. The graphics are attractive, the gameplay fits the old games but lacks most of the aggravations from any quality issues (it runs smoothly as you'd want). The best thing about the game is the puzzles. There are many, they don't really repeat, just a few are pulled from old games, and they're hard - keep you from going further in the game - then just great when you solve them.

There are a few minor things with them, such as not realizing things you shouldn't have to on earlier levels that can matter in later levels, in two situations I can think of.

My over feeling of the game is that it's just wonderful for the things it gets right - but there are flaws.

The parties are a bit simplistic, you don't get enough information to make good picks, the way magic works doesn't make a lot of sense in how you learn spells but the game's primary mechanic for learning new spells teaches some very late and some not at all; the party mechanics are not well balanced, you can make mistakes, there is inflexibility if you do. The story is pretty throwaway, a few seconds at the beginning to get you in the dungeon.

But the game feels polished, and provides a large amount of entertainment, if you like the idea of a very fun old-design dungeon crawler with a lot of good puzzles.

Name the best 10 games you have played, and I can find what I think are big flaws in each, while still agreeing they're deserving of 'best of all time'. This is one of the best games in years IMO.

I'd really like to give it a 10 despite the minor flaws, but they're just big enough to make it a 9.5. I could be wrong. Oh heck, while writing I realize it deserves that 10, with the criticisms.
  18. Jul 19, 2012
    Brilliant Sound , Brilliant Graphic and BRILLIANT Game ! Easy Control and many Characters ! I love this game cause there many enemies , many levels and many puzzles ! You will love this game !!!

It cost only 15 dollars !
  19. Aug 5, 2012
    This is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the greatThis is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the great Westwood Studio classics that pretty much are the model for this. I think it has more to do with kids being spoiled now. Every battle is tough, and you do have to prep your chars between battles....you will die from time to time, but as long as you use your brain, and prep your chars you'll do okay....and yes you do have to play the game of hit and run at times, I used to have to do that in those older games too....I think again, this game is going to be excellent for people nostalgic for those older games, and their difficulty level, but some newer gamers will not like the format. Th magic is a bit hard to do on the fly, but you learn. That's not an error on the development team's part, that's just different tastes. Last thing I would say is the puzzles are great! This is probably the best part of the game, every area has unique puzzles to solve....it's very satisfying, and I never thought I would get to play something like this again! Expand
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    OMG! Dungeon Master resurrected! Can't stop playing now! So far, excellent! Is also now part of the Steam Workshop so replay value has greatly improved with people all around the world submitting their dungeons.
  21. Jul 17, 2012
    This is an excellent game. True to the old style dungeon crawls of old, this game has interesting puzzles, dangerous enemies, and deadly traps. Best played without a FAQ or walkthrough - you may bang your head against a wall for an hour trying to figure out a puzzle, but when you do it's absolutely glorious.

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes at you from left field and is both comical and terrifying. There is some amount of replay value, but the true replay value will come in the future: The company will be releasing, for free, an editor so that players can craft their own dungeons.
  22. Oct 11, 2012
    As an older gamer this review is quickly done. I you liked the Eye of the Beholder series (especially Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon) or the first Lands of Lore... just go buy it. Fighting and puzzles just like in the old days, but with good looking graphics and a not overused 3D engine.

Recently Steam Workshop support was added and development tools got released, so watch out for new dungeons, puzzles and fights.
  23. Nov 4, 2012
    Reminiscent of the early 90's dungeon crawlers, where your adventure always feels like a struggle and the dungeons traps and mazes are an actual challenge. This game does not hold your hand and does not give you a prolonged tutorial or throws expendable characters in your face, instead it's just your party and the quiet rumbling of the dungeon for you to discover.

Combined with superb

Combined with superb texture quality and sound assets the game really makes you feel like just another prisoner in a maze of a dungeon.
  24. Dec 5, 2012
    Great nostalgic game. This will bring back memories for older gamers, and make memories for younger gamers. A must buy for anyone who enjoys a challenge.
  25. Dec 21, 2012
    Its a hard game, but those are always the best. You don't want games you can beat first time through and take only a few hours. Legend of Grimrock is full of mystery, puzzles, and sometimes even scares.

Another thing i loved about this game is customization. I usually spend like 30 mins putting my squad together perfectly. I suggest this game as a great Christmas gift (posted December 22nd)
  26. Nov 24, 2014
    Great game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in DungeonGreat game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in Dungeon Master which means lots of puzzles that require thinking, observation and timing, lots of tunnels to explore and secrets to find and figuring out different ways to deal with monsters. If you loved Dungeon Master 25 years ago then Legend of Grimrock will get you hooked once again, no question about that. Also available DRM free for both PC and Mac! Expand
  27. Nov 1, 2014
    Very good game, done everything there was to do, got all achievements, and still liked the game.

This game gives you the old school feeling, including the toughness needed to beat the game, lol

Lost 1 point due to the horrible battle system, there is this "cool down" system that makes you move around like a retard to avoid being hit while waiting for your attack to recharge.
  28. Jan 19, 2015
    The Legend of Grimrock is truly a dungeon crawling classic with little flaws. It’s that it brings back the enigmatic yet intriguing tone of adventure that hasn’t been seen for at least five years which in return makes it stand out from other dungeon crawlers.
  29. Apr 17, 2012
    I'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice againstI'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice against anything I must give this game a full ten. The last game which I would have given a nine is the new Deus Ex. (to compare in entertainment value) Expand
  30. May 16, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h.Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h. Being an avid gamer hardened my contention with poor interfaces, but others may not be as blessed: The lack of a "cast last spell" key/button meant combinations had to be punched in every few seconds in combat, spotting secret switches is a tedious chore, and the absence of a mini-map made frequent runs to the health crystal more tedious than it should. Last, some items do not stack which caused some unnecessary inventory clogs. Personally, these flaws added a certain old-school style of charm, since interfaces were not as refined in the 80's and 90's. Overall, Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game for those who love a good old dungeon romp. Highly recommended due to its rich atmosphere, challenging combat and rewarding puzzles. Expand

1. Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]