Legend of Grimrock PC

8.1

1. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is perfect. No, I insist, it *IS* perfect. It is not skyrim or Battlefield 3. It is an old-style dungeon crawler and it is extremely good at what it does. It takes a LOT for a single-player game to grab and keep my attention. This one achieves that, hour after hour. I'm 12 hours in and I know I'll want to start it all over again once I'm done my first playthrough.

Grimrock's

Grimrock's gameplay is very simple. You are stuck in a dungeon and you need to get out through the bottom. Puzzles and combat are your main focuses during the game, and you have loot, inventories and skills to manage. The graphics are very good, the audio too. And the game is F-U-N. There are no bugs that I can tell, either. So, to sum up: A very fun game with no bugs that looks and plays great. Where's the downside? Right, there is none. It would get a 9.5 because of its un-innovative nature, but who cares, this game IS an old-style dungeon crawler. And possibly the best ever.
  2. Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't had as much fun in a game since Skyrim. Get it, it is such a refreshing breeze of fresh air in the polluted modern games market. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is fun. It requires intelligence and cunning to progress!
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    One of the few love letters to old school RPG fans.
    A modern classic.

If you love classic dungeon crawlers, you can not afford to miss this game. Buy it, play it, keep playing it, and wait for the tools to create your own dungeon
  4. pid
    Apr 12, 2012
    Great assets (graphics, music and sound) revitalize the long-lost old-school gameplay enjoyed by generations of gamers. GAD-kids may not understand this gameplay, but it's really that good and I can't wait for the user-created content. Running through more than once with a new party is also fun because the differentiation of races and classes is significant.
  5. Apr 11, 2012
    Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!

6. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  7. Apr 30, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added.Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added. Definitely worth the cheap $15, and an easy 10/10. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand
  9. May 2, 2012
    Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap.Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap. There is no way around it that LoG is a miracle in game industry. You don't need fanzy large scale ragdoll boosted open map to have great rpg. In a word, a game suited for IQ 130+. Expand
  10. May 8, 2012
    Now first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, INow first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, I think I'm going to play it again with a totally different party. Played it for 3h and still enjoy it (3 hours for an indie game is quite good, isn't it?).
    A game worth a score of 85%.
  11. Jan 9, 2013
    Very good game in the style of Might and Magic (a classic PC game). The graphics are outstanding and exploration really fun in those beautifully rendered environments. This is a game I recomment for people who like to explore dungeons and build up a party of interesting characters.
  12. Apr 11, 2012
    one thing what i can say...MASTERPIECE
  13. Apr 19, 2012
    A brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you haveA brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you have fired when walking over them. I have a few complaints about the game, namely the inability to swap between ranged and hand-to-hand fighting without rummaging around in your inventory to swap weapons in and out of the action bar while monsters are fast approaching/beating your face in. I feel they would've been better served having sets of items to equip which you can swap between with a base amount of time required to switch. Inventory management gets tedious due to the weight management system and sometimes having to throw items you might want to keep makes for long pauses in the action. Overall a great game, and definitely worth the $15 asking price. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahh it was a great pleasure to crawl in that dungeon! It remember lot of good rememberings, with DM, EOB etc etc.
    I really have joy to play it and finished it. I think it is a little short. But the price is really short too ;)
    I hope the adventure will continue with add ons. If you loved DM style, I think you can't miss LoG!
  15. Ajh
    Apr 16, 2012
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on. The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of
    What Grimrock is: Old School Dungeon Crawl.

What it isn't: Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Zelda and so on.

The 'flaws' people complain about are designed into the game on purpose. Yes the game is brutally hard. I'm not finished but I'm close, having taken a break from wandering level 13 to write this. Magic is a click fest, but when your main spell only uses two runes...it's not that big of a deal. If you want a challenging puzzle game that is incredibly immersive, this is a great game. Occasionally I found myself reloading a save spot for upwards of 30 minutes to get the puzzle solved. The sense of accomplishment when you finally solve it is worth the trouble. There is no hand holding in Grimrock. Best of all, they're releasing an editor to add more dungeons into the game.
  16. Apr 17, 2012
    The game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extraThe game is an amazing trip to the past for people who have played dungeon crawlers many years ago. The gameplay revolves around two main aspects, combat and puzzle solving. Combat is pretty easy as long as you have some freedom to move around (Hint: You really shouldn't stand still during combat). The puzzles can be hard (especially ones that are not obligatory but give you extra equipment) but that's the whole fun of it. Be prepared to spend much of your time looking for a secret button on a wall and such. The story line is nothing fancy, but still enjoyable. Expand
  17. Apr 30, 2012
    One of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&DOne of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&D games, but amid the wash of glorified cut scenes that modern gaming has become, this is a rare and brilliant gem. Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2012
    I agree that spell casting is seriously flawed. And there're not enough interesting spells. But I still love the feeling of the dungeon crawling and the puzzles.
  19. Apr 13, 2012
    Outstanding! My favourite Genre from 20 years ago updated with beautiful HD graphics, and they havent dumbed anything down! Very indepth, fairly hard, exploration is a dream, combat fun, the mechanics behind it are very solid. Can't recommend this one enough, especially at such a low price!! GET THIS GAME!
  20. Apr 15, 2012
    I just finished the game tonight. And it bring back memories of time long past when I played Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and such... Boy, that sure made me feel like an old-timer... ;-)

About the game proper, it is a solid game that bring an old formula that is simple to learn, but difficult to master. It is about Trial and Error (or Google search) Puzzle-Solving and tactical combat maneuvering.
    However, not all is perfect in the land of Grimlock...

Pro:
    - Graphics are good enough. As is the sound. Everything to have the feeling of being trapped in a closed Dungeon. And checking often for the 'hidden switches' to find secrets caches...
    - Ressouce management (Backpack space and weight, etc...) of what you should and should not carry is still a huge part of the game. Do I have enough (or too many) Torches? Food?... - Auto-map (optional, if you wish) is a breeze to use. Plus you can write notes on it, making even more enjoyable. - You can use the default group of 4 'convicts', or you can customize your party. Yes, you can have a party of 4 warriors or 4 mages... And try to live with the consequences...
    - In the New Game menu, you can only select Grimrock, but it is designed to select, I assume, future Dungeons. Also, a level editor is promised by the developers, giving even more replayability to the game...

Con:
    - Some puzzles are infuriating. The ones that forces you to push the direction buttons in the right order with the right timing, with no margin for error. Suffice it to say that for me, I had to try and reload A LOT! And I read in the game's forum that some peoples are just not able to solve them.
    I don't mind a tough puzzle, knowing that I can Google the solution if I really can't find the answer (I did it a few times actually, to be honest..), but these puzzles, research all you want, if you don't have the timing to solve them, you're stuck with no hope of progressing further. It is the ONLY reason I hesitate to restart a new game: knowing that these puzzles exists and having to pass them again... -2 Just for that...
    - Spellcasting for mage is tedious. I know it was, in my time playing Dungeon Master, but we're in 2012. It should at least remember the last spell you 'programmed' for each mages, so you only have to click on the mage hand, then on the throw spell. I hope they improve this in a future patch.
    For the Fighter or the Rogue, you only need one click to attack. But for a Mage, you need one click to open the spellcasting, 3 clicks to 'program' the Fireball spell, then another click to send the spell. Between 3-5 clicks needed each time a mage attack... -1...

All in all, a good game that bring back a genre too long forgotten by Developpers...
  21. Apr 13, 2012
    I will say that this game is meant for gamers of a different genre: the oldschool, dungeon-crawl lover. I've literally been waiting 7 years to see this game come to fruition, being hooked on Dungeon Master (SNES) and DM2 (PC/DOS). This game has it all, it's longer than previous titles with all of the features that I've fallen in love with from past years. Legend of Grimrock has a stellarI will say that this game is meant for gamers of a different genre: the oldschool, dungeon-crawl lover. I've literally been waiting 7 years to see this game come to fruition, being hooked on Dungeon Master (SNES) and DM2 (PC/DOS). This game has it all, it's longer than previous titles with all of the features that I've fallen in love with from past years. Legend of Grimrock has a stellar nostalgia feeling while being hip and new, blending the best of both worlds in an excellent way. With the ability to introduce new dungeons, Almost Human adds tremendous potential for expansion in this game. I simply cannot wait to see how this game progresses in the coming months. From Dungeon Master 2000 to Escape from Dragon Mountain and now Legend of Grimrock, I am simply thrilled with this game. Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2012
    If you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, andIf you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, and sound make it well worth the time to play. Never heard of the three games I mentioned at the beginning, you may want to play something else if you're really concerned about your $15, but if you long for the days of maps that you could plot on graph paper or $15 isn't that much of a hit, by all means give this one a go. Expand
  23. Apr 15, 2012
    I'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). InI'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). In the end, you win or lose due to your own skill not because of some random stats that make you invincible at level 3000. This should be on every RPG gamer's list. Expand
  24. Apr 13, 2012
    Ok maybe not a 10 but a 9 would fit better, but the extra point goes with a reason, when u'r over 30 u've been playing games for decades and memories...oh sweet memories
    Great game, you just have to take it for what it is, a dungeon crawler not a RPG (besides RPG on pc/consoles do not exist, playing with customization is not role playing, following a pre-written story isn't role playing either...ok enough hehe)
    What i liked most of this game?the atmosphere, is amazing
    4 guys made a real gem, every old gamer should have this and the younger ones..well give it a try, but beware this game doesn't babysit you ;)
  25. Apr 22, 2012
    AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

Based on Dungeon Master game, Legend of Grimrock goes the same way as its ancestor from 1987 and adding a bit more. Starting with 4 party characters, almost naked without weapons and hope, we r cutting through stages exploring story of Grimrock behind, secret rooms, deadly traps giant crabs, pissed skeletons, hungry ogres etc... must say am new in this type of RPG and am probably fell in love with it. Of course i cant argue with "Elite Old School Gamers from past ...", but i realy like it because of great puzzles and action fighting.

BTW: Who sais copying whole idea aint gonna work? .-)
  26. Apr 24, 2012
    The game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn'tThe game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn't become boring with the automap turned on. Almost Human found that perfect balance that most developers can't reach. You owe it to yourself to try this game. Expand
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    I absolutely love it ... it is fun, fast, has some of that just-one-more-monster feeling, game-mechanics are clear and make sense. Sure, the combat is not everyones style and some of the riddles are maddeningly complicated, but all in all, this game is great (and there are walkthroughs and char creation guides out there). Beginning my second play-through now ...
  28. May 9, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through theLegend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through the main story you will actually have to solve some pretty challenging ones.

In some aspects LoG has a better design than the old games it's based on. For instance having a lifestone in each level that will revive any dead characters means that you have to load your game when your last character dies, not the first one. The classes also offer you a wide range of options for specializing your character. Also LoG has the best alchemy game play I've ever seen. When you drink a potion you end up with an empty bottle. Then you can put something new in it and you'll have a new potion. The amounts of bottles you find determines the total number of brewed potions you can have at any particular time, not the total number you can expend during the game. Makes potions much more usable. The magic system is rather badly implemented though. Casting a fireball is a five click operation. First you have to open the spell interface, then click the three runes constituting a fireball and then click the "cast" button. In comparison swinging an axe is a one-click operation, which makes magic a bit useless. Why the spell interface isn't linked up to the num-pad is odd - it has the same shape and seems to be designed for that.

Combat works fine - some people seem to dislike the harder fights where you actually have to dodge around the enemies, slam doors in their faces, lure them into traps and jump on top of them through pits in the floor. I, however, found that very entertaining and I doubt my interest in the game would've been as high if you could just stand-and-fight every battle in the game.

In conclusion Legends of Grimrock is an absolutely fantastic game. There are no bugs, very few annoyances, lots and challenge, pretty graphics and I had a very hard time putting this game down before I got through it. I consider it worth every cent, and if the magic interface gets fixed I'll up the score to 10.
  29. Feb 4, 2014
    I bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want toI bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want to force you to move strategically and use your environment to your advantage. They don't want you to stand in front of a monster and just hit buttons. Same with magic, they don't want you just to be able to spam fireballs, there is a penalty for setting up and using spells.
    I hope this is the start of an old school revolution in gaming.
    No game is perfect, but this is exactly the type of game I have been waiting for.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. Games Master UK
    May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]