8.3

1. Jun 28, 2013
    It was awesome to go back and revisit this game using 2013 technology. Al Lowe and company have done an excellent job of updating the game but not to a point where it loses any of its original charm. The handpainted backgrounds are gorgeous, the voice acting is excellent and all around it's just a really fun, nostalgic experience.

Also, it seems like a lot of people are complaining
    about the age verification at the beginning of the game which is a bit ridiculous considering it can be bypassed by pressing ctrl-alt-x, just like the original. Expand
  2. Jul 1, 2013
    Guys this remake is brilliant! Dem kids these days don't know what a great PC game is like! Sure it's not got smooth animation or state-of-the-art sh*t, but damn, it looks good (the art is great), sounds good and feels freakin great. Great effort and it's money better spent here than on bloody diablo 3.
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    I was always a big fan of Al Lowe's games and when I saw on Kickstarter that Replay games was going to do a remake I immediately said to myself that I needed to get in on that and over the coarse of a year I saw all the hard work that was put in by Al Lowe, Josh Mandel Paul Trowe and the rest of the Replay team I knew I was going to be blown away but the final product exceeded my expectations the HD graphics are top notch and the soundtrack which was composed by Grammy nominated composer Austin Wintory was an absolute joy to listen to throughout the game! the humor will have you laughing for hours on end so be sure to use all the icons on everything in the rooms! This truly was a return to the one true Larry and I'm proud to be part of a group that helped bring this game to life Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    Cried I laughed so much replaying the game after so many years! A must buy. The new graphics are gorgeous and the music is spot on. Well worth the 20$ on steam.
  5. Jun 28, 2013
    With the goal of remaking and improving on a gaming classic, LSL Reloaded succeeded above and beyond.
    Yes, the ages-old age verification remained true to its originally-annoying form but if it was easy to get around it then, it remained just as easy today (even easier, since you can just google the answers if actually fill it out).
    As to the game itself, the humor the beating heart and
    soul of the LSL games is top notch. What a difference it makes to have the Al Lowe, the actual man behind the original games, heavily involved in this game (the past few "Larry" games released since LSL7 were without his involvement and boy does it show).
    The visuals are a treat, and the sound and music even more so kudos to Austin Wintory on a fantastic score that never seems out of place.
    In the end, a shiny, funny new version of and old classic.
  6. Jun 28, 2013
    LSL definitely delivers. I played the originals back in college, and this is a very solid update. It has a the classic scenes which I was glad weren't made overly contemporary, but with some nice twists added-Angry Broads game FTW!
  7. Jun 28, 2013
    Larry is back with better graphics, more and new puzzles, more humour and more beautiful girls. Awesome game, recommended for everyone! I really hope there will be a sequel
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry returns in a remake of the original classic that started it all. And it's not just a 1:1 rehash, either. The story has been extended, the puzzles changed, and the graphics updated to a new generation of adventure game fans. But, it still retains the charm that Al Lowe brought back in 1987. If you're a fan of point-and-click games, you won't be disappointed.
  9. Jun 28, 2013
    This review was originally published to Geek News Network. You can find it in its entirety at http://bit.ly/13cSS8B.

In the early part of last year a revolution of sorts began in gaming. That revolution being Kickstarter, the web-platform that allows you to post projects and get financial support from a community of people. (I’m sure you’ve heard of it, so I have no idea why I chose to
    explain it.) It’s now around 14-15 months later and the first of these early gaming projects has been released! That game is Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards: Reloaded, a remake of the 1987 and 1991 game from Al Lowe. (I wrote a series of reviews a little over a year ago on the original Leisure Suit Larry game, as well as its sequels.)

Providing a narrator as well as having Jan Rabson reprise the role of Larry Laffer, gives the tale of love, perversion, and feelings not wholly unfamiliar a new lease on life.

In fact, instead of delving into writing a new back story for this game, allow me to quote myself from last year:

The original Leisure Suit Larry is the tale of Larry Laffer and his journey to city of Lost Wages (a clever play on Las Vegas) in search of the what all 40-year-old males are looking for: A way to lose his virginity. Isn’t that just adorable? Larry’s journey takes him down many paths in search of the right woman. Well, one path to be exact. Hey, this is a classic adventure game of the late-80′s; linear games were the bread and butter of the gaming world at this time. Larry can travel all around Lost Wages and its stylish five locations: the Convenience Store; Disco; Casino; Wedding Chapel; and the most famous bar of them all, as stated by Destructoid, Lefty’s Bar.

Looking for Love in Lost Wages

Larry; Larry Laffer is the very definition of a lovable loser. The man, for lack of a better qualification, is a character that is somehow unstuck in time. Larry, and what he represents, shouldn’t make sense in the year 2013, yet here we are looking at a new game starring the aged protagonist. “A new game?” you might be asking. Yes, this is a new game, because while the bones may belong to the classic point-and-click adventure game of 20+ years ago, it has been reimagined and rewritten to bring it into the 21st century.

The jokes, parts of the story, and even the puzzles have been rethought to both play up the nostalgia for those who played Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, while also making the game seem fresher in the eyes of a more modern audience. Honestly, after playing through it yesterday I am finding it hard to figure out if it is set in the 1980′s or 2010′s. The jokes work from the perspective of either era; particularly with the narrator regularly breaking the fourth wall to comment on the jokes themselves.

Speaking of that narrator, Neil Ross makes his triumphant return to Leisure Suit Larry after having narrated the last true Larry game, Love for Sail back in 1997. Our younger readers, or anyone that never played an LSL title will likely recognize Neil from his work as the voice of the codex in the Mass Effect series. This, for the record, is a total mindfrell for me and at least partially explains my fascination with both series. Providing a narrator to this classic Larry adventure, as well as having Jan Rabson reprise the role of Larry Laffer, gives the tale of love, perversion, and feelings not wholly unfamiliar a new lease on life.

The Times They Are a-Changin’

Being a remake of a remake of a classic game, there are obviously some changes in store. I already mentioned that some of the puzzles and jokes have been rethought in an effort to spice up the title, but that’s not the only reason for a change. Due to the success of the Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded Kickstarter campaign last year, the folks at Replay Games were able to add in a new “conquest” for the “venerable” Larry Laffer. Jasmine is a lovely, as well as welcome addition to the game; one in which I will not spoil. While her storyline doesn’t top the joy and absurdness of one of my personal favorite love interests, Fawn, I will say that she adds a certain heat to the already enjoyable game. With the addition of Jasmine, the folks at Replay Games and N-Fusion Interactive took the liberty of reworking some of the overall structure of Leisure Suit Larry. In the old days Larry would have the option of tracking down a certain inflatable friend in the hotel room of Eve, the final conquest, inflating said friend, and following it out onto the deck where he would meet the aforementioned Eve. In the new game, things are changed up drastically. Larry finds the blow-up doll still in the closet of a hotel room, but not the same one as before. Said balloon friend is also in terrible condition, requiring of an item that is acquired from Jasmine. It’s a slight change, sure, but it changes up the flow and forces longtime Larry fans to rethink their strategies for completing the game.
  10. Jun 28, 2013
    A great expanded remake and a welcome back for gaming's legendary jovial perv.
    This is, like the games it remakes, an 80's sex comedy centering around the loser protagonist trying to get lucky in Lost Wages. It's funny, offers some new twists for people who played the original. Adventure game newbies used to detailed hint systems or interfaces that highlight objects may find the game
    difficult, but it plays like a classic adventure to the core- although the deaths are far less inconvenient, serving more as gag scenes for the player. If you like classic adventures and don't mind some ribald comedy, check it out. If you expect it to be something it's not...steer clear. Expand
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    I loved the original 26 years ago and also love the remake. The remake is much better not only in the field of graphics. Many of the puzzles are revised and adapted to the present day. The new speech is just great and with the speaker I would like to have a beer sometime .

Considering the very fair price you have to just buy the game if you even just a little can inspire the main
    character Larry Laffer and you are in brilliant music in adventure games. Expand
  12. Jun 28, 2013
    I have been a fan of Larry since I was a little kid in middle school and a friend handed us a pirated copy of Larry 1 and Larry 6. I eventually bought every collector's edition and Larry 7, and patiently waited for Larry 8, which never game.

LSL Reloaded is an excellent remake of the original, with new puzzles, characters, updated humor, tons of new stuff, and is still faithful to what
    made the first game a hit. I encountered 0 bugs while playing, the game never crashed. I am glad they delayed the release because I enjoyed a flawless experience. Replay has done an amazing job with this game, and they have my confidence for Larry 2.

Finally, Larry has come home
  13. Jun 28, 2013
    The Legend of seduction is back reviving old school moments with new awesome graphics. A lot of humor from the beginning to the end.
    They made a wonderful work with the remake I hope they make the same thing with the following Larry saga. Personally I think this kind of games (Graphics adventure, point n' click) that we grew up in the '80 '90 need to be released one more time (with
    awesome 2D graphics) for the new generation that have lost a lot of humor nowadays.

This is games that make people laugh hard! Cheers!
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    The graphics look really nice, the voice acting is great and the humor fits perfectly into the LSL theme. The relaxed background music also fits in really well. I really recommend this game to anyone who likes humor. The jokes aren't that dirty either, but more subtle and funny hints towards sexual things.

Only thing keeping people from this might be the controls. It takes a while to
    get used to. Older players might be immediately comfortable with it, but younger players might never have seen this kind of games. Expand
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    Having played all Leisure Suit Larry games, including the original text parser, and the "Lovage" ones, I'm happy and thrilled to see the old white suit come back into play in such quality. Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded isn't just the best of the Matrix sequels, it dolls up the original game up to Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail standards (or perhaps beyond?) Old jokes are still in here, as well as tons of new material, old puzzles given a bit of a twist so you have to think all over again instead of going through the motions. All for the sake of one noble goal: Getting a 40 year old some honey.

Other video game remakes WISH they could obtain the quality achieved in Reloaded, and it's set a new standard.
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    This is definitely the best version of Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards yet.

They could probably have gotten away with simply updating the graphics to modern standards, but the improvements don't stop there. Almost every item you see on screen can be clicked on and interacted with in multiple ways. And each interaction results in a unique response. There are no
    generic lines to be found anywhere. The changed and added puzzles make the game interesting even for long-time Larry fans. The story is still basically the same, but many of the puzzles need to be solved differently. And, of course, there is a new sub-plot with a new girl added to the game.

There is just one change that I didn't like. In the previous versions of the game you were awarded points for your actions. You could easily finish the game without the maximum points and you just knew that you missed something in the game. That added to the replayability. In the new version, the score system is unfortunately gone. It is no big deal, but I hope it will be back in future Larry games.

If you liked the first Larry game before, you will like Larry Reloaded even more. If you only know the Larry from Magna Cum Laude or Box Office Bust, this is a game to show you why Larry Laffer is one of the most beloved characters in game history. If you always hated adventure games, this will probably not make you change your mind.
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    Adventure games are lost gems hidden in a world full of shooters and easy casual games. Leisure suit Larry is finally back after two lame attempts (without his creator) and Im loving every minute of it remembering the good old days when Sierra and LucasArts ruled the pc adventuring world. We need to support this kind of game and dont listen to what "reviewers" say. If you want to have a good time, or remember Larry and his adventures, buy this game! Expand
  18. Jun 29, 2013
    I downloaded it and started playing away and it brought me back to those summers when I would get the old Sierra Games loaded on my relatives computer. I love the artwork, the interface of the game is smooth no oddness on the game play, but just getting back into the swing of adventure gaming. If you know or come from the generation of Leisure Larry and need a change in gaming, this is one of the games to play for this summer. Expand
  19. Jun 29, 2013
    Absolutely dreadful reviews score by “knowledgeable” critics 57%( currently), that is only 40% higher than Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, now that is beyond a joke.

The game is not perfect, but it is fun, humorous and written very well and with only a budget of $700k to work with(Skyrim cost $100 million to make by the way) it is great value that Replay/Nfusion have given us,
    this is a must for old adventure fans and individuals who would like something totally different to FPS dominated market, try it today you will be pleasantly surprised and spread the word, if this doesn’t sell well, its bye Leisure Suit Larry forever. Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2013
    This game's gone beyond my first expectations. Though actual remakes as MI and MI2 didn't satisfied me with those new guybrush (well, maybe the 2nd one is OK, but nothing more) this is what a remake should called.

Look at this, for 20 bucks you get a remastered art piece, with new graphics, new music, completly spoken and subtitled in many languages. And the best, a new graphic
    adventure that deserves the money you pay.

I laugh at those critics here that just bump MOH and uncharted clones. It's obvious that today, if you want to get a good score, you can't go beyond the common industry. Just follow the white rabbit, buy an engine license and make another battle game set in a future not so far.
  21. Jun 30, 2013
    If you are in your 20's or 30's and are expecting a game on the level of your favorite AAA title...forget about it. If you are in your 40's and 50's and have a fond memory of the early days of PC gaming...especially Larry Laffer and the Leisure Suit Larry games, then this will be an "upgrade" to your previous experience with the early games. It is definitely worth every penny and is not only a remake of the 1st game in regards to the graphic update, but there is new content and puzzles...along with a lot of great narration and humor. It's great to have Larry back and hopefully more to come! Expand
  22. Jun 30, 2013
    Ohhhh Larry. I have been playing Larry for quite a while now, in fact the 5.25 Lounge Lizzard disks are still next to my 8088 waiting to play thru again.

This is the best Larry game I've played in a long time, it brought a tear to my eye I laughed so hard thanks for the remake guys! Its good to relive our youth.
  23. Jul 1, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry came again! When I was 10 I came accross the orinigal Larry 1. Ever since then I'm a big fan. Needless to say that this game is full of nostalgy for me. I'm looking forward to the next remake and a brand new LSL!
  24. Jul 1, 2013
    A trip back to the good old days, this is a lesson at how adventure games must be done. Don't believe stupid reviewers, this game is gorgeous. Few developers are able to make intelligent games like this, and the critics just wait for more "press A to win" titles.
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    This new edition of LSL1 is fantastic. Everything has been improved: the interface, dialogs, graphics, menus, etc. Furthermore, new characters and puzzles have been included.

I'm not giving a 10/10 mark because I think that the plot could be improved a bit and make it longer (the new characters and situations make it already, but for me, it is not enough).

If you enjoyed the old
    games of LSL1 to LSL7 (as I did), this game is a must. Expand
  26. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a part of my mind where the years run together, I remember firing up our 386 computer and playing the VGA remake of Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards with my older brother. I think about those days often. Perhaps it is because video games were better back then, or perhaps it is because I simply enjoyed them more. Either way, the magic in video games is gone. When I backed Larry Reloaded, it was entirely for nostalgic reasons. Remake or not, I wanted to see a new Al Lowe game.
    Playing the game, I found a familiar friend—the old icon bar. One of the greatest things about Larry games were the detailed sensory descriptions. As graphics have improved, this has gone away to the detriment of the gaming experience. A picture may say 1,000 words, but not necessarily the right words. In adventures games, narrators felt like characters in their own right. The narrator interacts with the player, compliments him when he solves a puzzle and mocks him when he is stuck.
    When entering Larry Reloaded, the veteran play will find himself in a familiar place, Lefty’s Bar. He’s been here before and knows what to do. The player walks up to the bar and orders a shot of whiskey. Then he walks to the bathroom and gives that shot to a drunk. However, instead of a TV remote, the drunk gives the player a coaster. Suddenly the player—who was content with a quick jog down memory lane—realizes that Al Lowe and Josh Mandel are going to put him to work a bit. The tweaked puzzles add some life to this game without taking away from the original purpose.
    Any fan of the series should be please with this update. It is exactly what we were promised and then some. I look forward to a remake of LSL2, which was always my favorite. And I’ll be the first in line to back that Kickstarter.
  27. Jul 1, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry remains true to the spirit of the original game while incorporating updated artwork and a excellent user interface. The new music score and dialog help as well. The most amazing thing is the depth. There's so many things you can try, every object and action can be applied to everything in the game, often with very amusing results.

Bravo!
  28. Jul 1, 2013
    I was one of the so-called 'Kick starter' contributors who gave money to this project and I can honestly say that I was very surprised at the final output of the game. It is at least 10 times better than I was hoping because I was a fan of the original games (the Al Lowe ones and not the other 2 'games'). I don't think I have ever laughed so much at a game that I almost fell out of my chair playing this game. The artwork is beautiful and bright, the voice acting is top-notch and the music (by Grammy winning Austin Wintory) is even better. Honestly if you enjoyed playing the Al Lowe Leisure Suit Larry games or adventure games in general then download this game right now and start playing! Expand
  29. Jul 1, 2013
    A nice remake with enhanced puzzles great graphics and sound even new parts, if you like adventure games don't miss this game, for me It's worth every penny
  30. Jul 1, 2013
    Larry is an old school graphic adventure. It don't needs ultra-realistic 3D models to make you laugh. It's the kind of game that we have been waiting for years! Welcome home Larry!

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Although the animation isn't what you expect, Larry's return makes you laugh. It proves that adventure games aren't relics, and that something we considered funny as we were kids is still funny. The game relies on nostalgia, but adds its own flavor to the mix. [Aug 2013]
    A technologically excellent and humorous remake of the original Larry game is an enjoyable little game. Especially for those contemporaries of the once famous series, who are now overgrown by moss. [Issue#232]
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    I just sat there and gambled until I finally felt so angry with the game that I wanted to stab my screen. [Nov 2013, p.78]