Lock On: Modern Air Combat PC

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Jul 26, 2005
7.5

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Here's the problem with this game.

Bugs.. so many bugs it's stupid. After you solve the bugs you find a mediocre game. First off, there's 2 american planes, the rest are Russian. No european jets nothing The missions are half baked generic garbage. Not much attention paid to detail at all This game purely comes down to the flying.. which it does exceptionally well to the
    Here's the problem with this game.

Bugs.. so many bugs it's stupid.

After you solve the bugs you find a mediocre game.

This game purely comes down to the flying.. which it does exceptionally well to the detriment of everything else.

The radar is stupid. I have read manuals/forums to no end to try and get the upper hand on my enemy. The way I see it if you're flying the F15 you are LUCKY to get a radar reading of anything beyond 10 nm.. when something comes within 10 miles of you it's a scramble to get the heap of radar system back down to a 10m radius to lock on to the damn planes.. IF... IF you can find them again in time before a missile is launched.

It's just not the reality of most situations.

The missiles.. the missiles. They're stupidly effective.. and for some reason hard to see. On that note everything is IMPOSSIBLE to see in this game due to the lack of proper anti aliasing.

Basically if you enjoy flying jets this is the game for you, but ONLY flying jets. Everything else plays out terribly, inaccurately, and above all frustrating.

This is after playing both the F15 and A10 campaigns. The A10 campaign was fun, but was just shooting tanks non stop. The F15 campaign was an exercise in relying on my wingman to direct me to the bandits as you're essentially flying blind 90% of the time.

The AWACS is useless too, every few seconds it bleats in your ear the enemies bearing instead of being any actual help. Wingman likewise RARELY throw out a 'Watch your six'

Your early warning radar is the epitome of useless despite what the manual says. It is blank 90% of the time when it should be flashing to telling you where missiles are, telling you where everyone is.

Nope, instead it just tells you where the enemy AWACS is half the time then proceeds to tell you when a missile is launched but gives you no idea of how long until it's right at your doorstep.

As I said if you enjoy flying the aircraft, get it for that but do not expect anything other than that.
  2. Dec 28, 2012
    This review is directed to all those who are looking for a great and fairly realistic modern air combat SIMULATOR (I wrote it using capital letters because this isn't some simplistic arcade flight game) .
    You'll need a decent rig if you want to play this game in acceptable conditions (to avoid lag and low FPS), as this game works with a demanding graphics engine. With that said, there it goes:
    Do you want to fly some of the most magnificent supersonic war birds in the world? Do you want to establish your supremacy in lethal air-to-air and air-to-ground combat?
    Do you want to master the radar/infrared/ECM/Weapons systems of these warbirds?
    Do you want to do all this while enjoying one of the best graphics engine in all the PC air simulation world? If the answer to all these questions is affirmative, then here is you shopping list: 1-Lock On:Modern Air Combat
    2-Flaming Cliffs 2 expansion, which is COMPULSORY (Flaming Cliffs 3 is about to be released, by the way)
    3-A decent joystick
    4-Search the internet for free downloadable plane 3D models for Flaming Cliffs 2 (such as Gys F-15 model, 3GO Su-27 model or SimMod A-10 model...they infinitely surpass the stock 3d models from the game)
    5- Pick up pen and paper, take notes of the procedures described in the instructional videos for each plane (you can download these videos from the game's website). 6-Configure your joystick and keyboard bindings at your will. Now you are ready to fly the most complete, realistic and nice looking modern air combat simulator that currently exists in the gaming market. You'll need many hours of flight practice and systems familiarization in order to become a decent combat pilot, but if you like combat jets you'll enjoy every minute of it.
  3. JedB.
    Mar 8, 2004
    This is the best simulation I have every owned. The graphics are fabulous and the detail is incredible. I have been flying mostly the A-10 Warthog and it is a pleasure. This is the one I have been waiting for all my gaming life. Thanks to Eagle Dynamics, great job. No kudos to the publisher, Ubi Soft. They did a lousy job with the release. I finally had to order it from Amazon.com because This is the best simulation I have every owned. The graphics are fabulous and the detail is incredible. I have been flying mostly the A-10 Warthog and it is a pleasure. This is the one I have been waiting for all my gaming life. Thanks to Eagle Dynamics, great job. No kudos to the publisher, Ubi Soft. They did a lousy job with the release. I finally had to order it from Amazon.com because the EB near my house didn't have any and claimed that Ubi Soft "ran out of them". I also did not get a Key Command Card but was able to finally get one sent to me after I called Ubi Soft. (By the way, to the reviewer below - Codemasters is the publisher of Operation Flashpoint, not Ubi Soft) Expand
  4. JohnF.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Just bought Lock On this past weekend. I really like it. It looks great, has lots of great aircraft and the missions are fun. I have not had a chance to fly multiplayer yet, but I will try this coming weekend. Just playing single player has shown me that this game is one of the best sims I have ever owned. I still can't believe how great it looks. Sure, it is not for older systems, I Just bought Lock On this past weekend. I really like it. It looks great, has lots of great aircraft and the missions are fun. I have not had a chance to fly multiplayer yet, but I will try this coming weekend. Just playing single player has shown me that this game is one of the best sims I have ever owned. I still can't believe how great it looks. Sure, it is not for older systems, I have a pretty good rig. But, if you are serious about flying complex jets then this is the one for you. I can understand that people that have inferior hardware might not like a game like this, but they are going to be crying big time when new games come out this year that are going to be just as demanding as Lock On. Don't make the mistake of listening to the doom and gloom bunch. Get this great game now. JF. Expand
  5. AndyM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    great game, I realy dont have any problems running it at all. Ok ive got a high spec computer but if you want to run a high spec game like this then you need the hardware to run it. I some times have to reming my self that its only a sim, the graphics are that good. I know there are some problems for some people but hopefully the up comming patch should sort those problems out.
  6. MikeK.
    AMAZING GAME !!!
  7. DaveC.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Looks amazing has cool graphics but my pc sucks to play it :(
  8. FloE.
    Dec 17, 2003
    A bit dissapointed.gam is not what was advertised.too bad.F4 + SP3 still remain de refference.amazing , eh? after 5 years!
  9. JurgenT.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Great game but even on easy somme things are very hard (can't shoot a plane down whit a missle)
  10. Rob
    Dec 18, 2003
    Splendid game - nice balance between hard-core sim and playablilty without sacrificing riealism. Given the support the developers gave Flanker2 and IL2, I have no doubt that this product will also receive solid support. There are some issues which need resolving (and I understand a patch is imminent). Notwithstanding this, the game is great and I'm addicted to it! Once patched, Splendid game - nice balance between hard-core sim and playablilty without sacrificing riealism. Given the support the developers gave Flanker2 and IL2, I have no doubt that this product will also receive solid support. There are some issues which need resolving (and I understand a patch is imminent). Notwithstanding this, the game is great and I'm addicted to it! Once patched, I'd give it a 10. As for now, a 9 will suffice. Expand
  11. AlexisG.
    Oct 2, 2004
    A fine game. Really enjoyed the look and feel of it. I am rather stupid when it comes to complicted games but this one was worth the time and study I put in to learn it. If a moron like me can enjoy it then I am sure others will be able to have a great time with this cool simulation game.
  12. Werner
    Nov 23, 2003
    Gets only three points from me, because the full version doesn't work with Windows ME. Major issue and a strange thing because the demo worked. There is no key overview card in the package, most of the manual is only available als Acrobat PDF. Some graphic bugs, complicated and confusing menus and mission planer, poor performance especially when flying over city, crashes somethimes Gets only three points from me, because the full version doesn't work with Windows ME. Major issue and a strange thing because the demo worked. There is no key overview card in the package, most of the manual is only available als Acrobat PDF. Some graphic bugs, complicated and confusing menus and mission planer, poor performance especially when flying over city, crashes somethimes with bluescreen. Looks overall very unfinished. X-MAS is coming. SO RUSH RUSH Hope the fix the major issues soon, I don't want another "Strike Fighters-Project 1" in my shelf! But even then LOMAC will be far from being perfect! Expand
  13. Smack5
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great sim, even with the bugs (patch is on the way). Having said that, pay attention to the RECOMMENDED specs on the box. I'll second the "don't listen to the crybabies" comment. If your system is meeting the minimum specs, then be prepared for a minimal experience. With decent hardware, you shouldn't have many problems, and it's definately playable in it's Great sim, even with the bugs (patch is on the way). Having said that, pay attention to the RECOMMENDED specs on the box. I'll second the "don't listen to the crybabies" comment. If your system is meeting the minimum specs, then be prepared for a minimal experience. With decent hardware, you shouldn't have many problems, and it's definately playable in it's current state. Expand
  14. JakeyZ.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Out of the box I believe this game is an 8 easily. The graphics are amazing.. there's no question of this. It's hard on your system though, so be prepared to tune things down. Even so, on the lowest it still looks good. With a patch coming out soon to fix the minor bugs, this will be at least a 9/10!
  15. Extreeem
    Dec 17, 2003
    The game is outstanding I just wish that the current systems were able to run the game at it's full potential. Since multiplayer is my biggest interest I can't comment on campaigns but for MP is has most all the features I've wanted in an air combat sim. Although the game is capable of an almost arcade like setting those who play in that mode are not the ones who will The game is outstanding I just wish that the current systems were able to run the game at it's full potential. Since multiplayer is my biggest interest I can't comment on campaigns but for MP is has most all the features I've wanted in an air combat sim. Although the game is capable of an almost arcade like setting those who play in that mode are not the ones who will really appreciate the game .... now those how enjoy the emersion and learning curves, this game is for you. Expand
  16. xy
    Love the A-10 :D
  17. HåkanJ.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Even though the game has some bugs in it it's the best flight sim availiable together with FB. It got great potential for addons and further development. Good graphics and FM/DM. But i wont lie, it takes a lot of your PC!!!
  18. Torch
    Dec 17, 2003
    This is LOMAC, need I say more. Bugs will be fixed and performance will increase as my PC gets better. But it isn't perfect (yet) so a 9 out of 10 is well deserved.
  19. RickL.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This is one incredible sim, which will only get better in time, like a fine wine. rjetster
  20. RandyN.
    Dec 18, 2003
    This is the best combat flight sim to date. Falcon 4 Gold is around the corner and will surely give it a challenge. It is nice to see our favorite genre of game get a boost this year. :P
  21. JoeC.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Unbelievable! This is a cool game! Amazing that there are so many crybabies that can't figure out how to load this game. I had no problems and I am no computer expert. If you like jets and modern weapons THIS is the game for you.
  22. NoclueNeeded
    Jan 16, 2004
    The first patch has improved many things, but the starting point was so low that it?s moot point at this point in time. It appears several more patches are going to be needed to bring this GAME up to playable levels for the majority of users, not just those on the fanboy sites. If you have a blind obedience mindset, like to play follow the fool, and only want to post rave reviews and The first patch has improved many things, but the starting point was so low that it?s moot point at this point in time. It appears several more patches are going to be needed to bring this GAME up to playable levels for the majority of users, not just those on the fanboy sites. If you have a blind obedience mindset, like to play follow the fool, and only want to post rave reviews and comments, warranted or not, about the game, rush out and buy it. Or, you can use common sense and wait until things are fixed before buying a game that contains un-optimized code making unplayable on anything less than a machine made for the gods. Good Luck! Expand
  23. JohnnyW.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Fantastic simulation of both Western and Eastern aircraft. Incredible graphics and accurate flight models. One of the best modern air combat sims I have EVERY flown. Ignore the crybabies and get this simulaiton! With the 1.02 patch it is a must if you love modern air warfare.
  24. Sputnik
    Jan 29, 2004
    Unlike others here giving this game an 8 or above, I see it for what it is now, not what it?s going to be after 4-5 more patches. How else should it be rated? People stating they?re getting great performance and frame rates, they achieve this by turning the settings to LOW, don?t be fooled by their rhetoric. There are problems with the F-15?s avionics, along with the toning down of US Unlike others here giving this game an 8 or above, I see it for what it is now, not what it?s going to be after 4-5 more patches. How else should it be rated? People stating they?re getting great performance and frame rates, they achieve this by turning the settings to LOW, don?t be fooled by their rhetoric. There are problems with the F-15?s avionics, along with the toning down of US missiles and radar effectiveness. To the zealots, it?s always ?The next patch? will fix it. Too many with high end systems are having problems and knowing how to setup your system is not the problem. The problem lies in poorly designed code. As you can see in previous posts, those that post other than stellar reviews or comments are called complainers, whiners, trolls, and other names. It?s not that we don?t own or play the game, it?s because we dare post accurate comments, according to what we see, and aren?t so weak-minded that we are swayed by the fan-boys to post lovely reviews and comments. If you?re not expecting outstanding performance and want a great LOOKING game, this is for you. You can always take and post your lovely screenshots to certain message boards or give them to your friends for their desktop. Expand
  25. TimI.
    Feb 13, 2004
    I just bought Lock On this past week. Spent the day playing it and have to say that it truly is a work of art. The attention to detail is outstanding. I did apply the V1.01 patch at the official website and I have had no problems running this simulation. This one is a keeper on my hard drive. I hope they make more add ons with new planes and missions. Tim.
  26. ThomasH.
    Feb 25, 2004
    You low raters are childish. This is an awesome sim you morons. Because you wont spend money on new hardware to enjoy this game you complain. na na na! Get a job lowlives.
  27. JamesR.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Call me a fanboy then. I just got this game last week and while I initially had some problems, once I had gone throught the Readme.txt file and made some adjustments the game ran fine. There were some bugs but after downloading the Version 1.01 patch from the www.lo-mac.com website and getting some additional performance tips from the official forum at the ubi soft's website, I have Call me a fanboy then. I just got this game last week and while I initially had some problems, once I had gone throught the Readme.txt file and made some adjustments the game ran fine. There were some bugs but after downloading the Version 1.01 patch from the www.lo-mac.com website and getting some additional performance tips from the official forum at the ubi soft's website, I have been enjoying this simulation greatly. It has the best graphics I have ever seen in any flight sim. The missions are challenging and fun. The multiplayer throught Hyperlobby is a total gas!!! I played online last night in a coop mission where we took out armored columns of Russian vehicles with A-10s. It was the most fun I have had playing online. This is a great game and I am one happy sim pilot for having purchased it. All you guys moaning must not being playing the same game that I am because this one is staying on my computer for years! Buy this game! Expand
  28. ErikK.
    Apr 29, 2004
    Played the demo, but I don't think I'm gonna invest my few euros on this sim. It's just another Flanker-sim with a couple of american jets thrown in. The western aircraft somehow have too much of a russian feel. Sure it looks good, but it still can't beat that certain modern air combat sim that has been released six years ago and has gotten better ever since.
  29. Baranth
    Sep 2, 2006
    Having been a Lock On player for quite some time I feel I can cast this accuratly... my only real gripe is with the developers.... Black Shark looks good.. and anyone with the Flaming Cliffs LOMAC is probably quite happy with it... all and all it is a good game but "I Feel" the developers are missing the boat with the whole adding helo's thing and should first go for getting all the Having been a Lock On player for quite some time I feel I can cast this accuratly... my only real gripe is with the developers.... Black Shark looks good.. and anyone with the Flaming Cliffs LOMAC is probably quite happy with it... all and all it is a good game but "I Feel" the developers are missing the boat with the whole adding helo's thing and should first go for getting all the planes flyable... and making accurate Flight Model for all the aircraft in the game... not just the magic 6... then add the helos in after... granted... the mods out there to make them all flyable... but these mods don't use accurate flight models or cockpits... BUT it IS comparable to Falcon 4... oh... and developing different theatres would be nice as well... but all and all.... good game none the less. Expand
  30. ApathyC.
    Feb 6, 2007
    A decent effort and very pretty, but it was programmed the way Russians approach everything -- by half-measures. Quite entertaining, and by far the best effort in the "medium-realism" sim market, it trips over constant bugs and design flaws, even after three years of patching. Its strength lies mainly in the A-10 missions, which are the most credible yet in the sim world, and an A decent effort and very pretty, but it was programmed the way Russians approach everything -- by half-measures. Quite entertaining, and by far the best effort in the "medium-realism" sim market, it trips over constant bugs and design flaws, even after three years of patching. Its strength lies mainly in the A-10 missions, which are the most credible yet in the sim world, and an accessible (though buggy) mission builder. In many ways, however, LOMAC is little more than "Flanker 3.0." In the end, the interface and design quality of the game simply mirror the confusion and dodginess of the real plane's avionics. It is, other words, a quintessentially Russian game -- with both the good and bad things that entails. On a realism scale of 1 to 10, LOMAC is clearly a seven. If you desire ultra-realism, then Falcon 4.0: Allied Force is a much better choice. For the occasional "hop," however, LOMAC makes for a nice, relaxing, (if somewhat buggy) distraction from the real world. Expand
  31. Luis
    Dec 16, 2003
    Best flight sim ever..with the right equiptment...ofcourse....
  32. KORN_WWTE
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game is uncomplete, to much emphasis on having to create interesting missions yourself. Default missions are plain and short, starting in the air and not on the ramp, no need to learn engine start sequences. Campaigns are dull und unispiring. Any action on screen or weather other than clear starts to slow the FPS down until unplayable. This game needs a patch before I reconsider The game is uncomplete, to much emphasis on having to create interesting missions yourself. Default missions are plain and short, starting in the air and not on the ramp, no need to learn engine start sequences. Campaigns are dull und unispiring. Any action on screen or weather other than clear starts to slow the FPS down until unplayable. This game needs a patch before I reconsider giving it another go. Expand
  33. ChrisCatchlove
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great game, patch is coming soon, best flight sim I have flown for awhile. Love it.
  34. TomD
    Dec 16, 2003
    Unfriendly user interface, taxing mission editor, vague missions, bugs bugs and more bugs. The game was rushed out, if your not into tweaking and tweaking then leave this on the shelf until the developers finish it of properly.
  35. AnonymousMC
    Dec 16, 2003
    This is not for the weekend arcade gamer. LOMAC makes a great attempt to keep it as real as a flight sim game can. From the modeling to flight charecteristics all the way to the graphics, hands down this is the best looking modern combat sim around. Worth every penny!
  36. FelixE.
    Great Game!
  37. MathewR.
    Dec 16, 2003
    LOMAC is destined to be a good sim in the long-run, assuming the developer follows through with their promises, which I have confidence in. I'm really enjoying it already, but can't give a high score until the overall program code is more refined and stable. I look forward to that taking place. Regarding complexity, I had expected LOMAC to be very challenging to learn the LOMAC is destined to be a good sim in the long-run, assuming the developer follows through with their promises, which I have confidence in. I'm really enjoying it already, but can't give a high score until the overall program code is more refined and stable. I look forward to that taking place. Regarding complexity, I had expected LOMAC to be very challenging to learn the controls and flight, and as it turns out, it's a lot easier than I expected. I somewhat hope there's an enhancement to the difficulty, later, once they release the more important fixes. A dynamic campaign system would be great, especially if it worked for Multiplayer. Expand
  38. PILOTA-1
    Dec 16, 2003
    I have'nt had 99% of the problems people list below, runs great on my winXP system, I dont have a completely top of the line PC but with settings on mostly medium, runs great and considering the graphics and details its the closest thing you'll get to flying a combat jet (and not just 1 but several!) A patch ot two should fix the problems people are having and theres NO pc game I have'nt had 99% of the problems people list below, runs great on my winXP system, I dont have a completely top of the line PC but with settings on mostly medium, runs great and considering the graphics and details its the closest thing you'll get to flying a combat jet (and not just 1 but several!) A patch ot two should fix the problems people are having and theres NO pc game that has'nt needed a patch soon after release. Eagle Dynamics should be congratulated for breathing life into an all but dead genre..what else is out there..Jetfighter 5 or that hack which is Falcon5. Expand
  39. Silverfox388thVFW
    Dec 16, 2003
    Superb flight characteristics, The graphics effects will knock your socks off. At first glance you will notice the beautifull flight models and enviormental and lighting effects(unsurpassed) but you will need to spend a lot more time in the game to really appreiciate its genius. One note however it dont get frusttrated with getting the grphics set correctly. With some patience and Superb flight characteristics, The graphics effects will knock your socks off. At first glance you will notice the beautifull flight models and enviormental and lighting effects(unsurpassed) but you will need to spend a lot more time in the game to really appreiciate its genius. One note however it dont get frusttrated with getting the grphics set correctly. With some patience and research you can fine tune the sim to run on your system provided it is not near or below recommended. Definetly a must have! Expand
  40. s81o
    Dec 16, 2003
    Where flight simulators are concerned this is the finest, no doubt.
  41. AndyJ.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Well, not all that I've expected came true, but, technically, this is the best product on simulator arena now.
  42. JackG.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Its just a patch away from getting an 8 or 9 from me. I love the game but bugs do bring the rating down for me.
  43. FerryW.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game has a lot of potential, looks fantastic and has a very high replay value. This combined with the power of hyperlobby and soon come 3rd party software and the patch which should fix the main issues... It holds a great future.
  44. AnonymousMC
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game isn't even half-way finished. If I buy a car, I expect it to be delivered with wheels so I can drive it. Its a reasonable assumption, isn't it? This game is unstable and unplayable even on high end machines running XP (which im using). A game cannot be released for hardware that hasnt even been invented yet. The minimum system requirements on the cover is not only aThis game isn't even half-way finished. If I buy a car, I expect it to be delivered with wheels so I can drive it. Its a reasonable assumption, isn't it? This game is unstable and unplayable even on high end machines running XP (which im using). A game cannot be released for hardware that hasnt even been invented yet. The minimum system requirements on the cover is not only a joke, is also a legal cause to return the game and getting your money back purely because its a lie. Furher, there isnt a patch in this world that can fix everything that is broken in this game. Im not even going further into that, because its already been dwelled over and over again by hundreds. My advice to anyone considering to buy this game is to think twice (just read the forum posts). Why should you spend your hard earned money on a product that isnt even finished. Its a beta1 release only witout the ?beta? label. If you buy it, youre only going to be dissapointed and feel cheated, like I did, no matter what hardware you have. This game is an insult to all of us that paid good money for it, just to get a box of frustration. It doesnt even come with a proper manual. I could live with that, simply because the good old days of Falcon4-type-of-manuals are long gone and will probably never come back. If the game should be delivered with a proper printed manual, there wouldnt be just as much money over for the sharks, now wouldnt it? What really bothers me though, is that it doesnt even come with a proper un-printed manual!! The documentation that follows this game is the same kind of joke as the system requirements. So what am I exactly paying for? A half way finished, poorly documented pre-beta release for a full retail price. I admit, I must be stupid to have such high expectations. After all, its only a game. Gamers/simmers aren?t real customers, theyre just a bunch of stupid kids we can cheat money from over and over again.. Think again, Ubisoft. The amount of effort put in by the developer in this game is yet amazing. Still, its all wasted because of the short-term economical-or-whatever disaterous descisions leading to this premature release of an unfinished product. I feel cheated, and I?ll certainly think twice before buying anything from Ubisoft again. I also feel sad for the developers that put their hard work and effort into bringing this game to the sim world community. I feel sad because they dont really deserve all this critisims. However, as a paying customer I reserve the right to make some demands. I dont demand a perfect product. At the least however, I demand that the game is playable more than five minutes, has more than 1 fps on a high-end machine 5-6 times faster than the ?minimum? specs, and doesnt contain a zillion bugs and wrongs that ruins the whole experience. Expand
  45. ChuckC.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I give the game an 8. The graphics are stunning especially down low. The cites are very well modeled. People have had troubles running it in Win98/Me but if your a gamer you most likely aren't using those old versions of Windows anyway. I use Windows 2000 and it works fine. There are some bugs but that is to be expected. None of the bugs I've had are game stopping. Great I give the game an 8. The graphics are stunning especially down low. The cites are very well modeled. People have had troubles running it in Win98/Me but if your a gamer you most likely aren't using those old versions of Windows anyway. I use Windows 2000 and it works fine. There are some bugs but that is to be expected. None of the bugs I've had are game stopping. Great visuals, realistic flight model, good enemy pilot AI. It's a great game. System I use to play Lock On AthlonXP 2600, 1GB of RAM, Geforce 4Ti 4600 Windows 2000 Expand
  46. ElyP.
    Dec 16, 2003
    A very good game for you modern day simulator freaks. It will take some tweaking to get to run at full effeciency though, and it will take a pretty powerful system. Nevertheless, a very good game that I'd recommend if you've waited for a A-10 simulator for a long time.
  47. EricM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Very good game, too many bug in the relase :(
  48. Jenikov
    Dec 16, 2003
    Amazing graphics, sweetly modelled planes and incredibely cool ground battles. Good multiplayer and a great sense of teamwork if you play with the right crowd. Cons: Some instability issues, system hog, memory leak, and occasional weird behavious of planes/avionics. Finally: Best modern day sim to date, period.
  49. VaporB.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great game with lots of potencial but a FPS killer.
  50. NazgulN
    Dec 16, 2003
    Its just another milestone in Flightsim history, it has great potential to become the best. I play Flightsims for over 20 years now, and ive seem them all, and played most of them. I gave it a Fat9, cos i know that nothing is perfect and complete, But Lock-on will, and then ill give it a 10 with stars*****
  51. DarthMaul
    Dec 16, 2003
    A very nice game. The Flanker roots are still there. Same Mission Editor witch is good. The interface is very easy to use. Only some small bugs,Missiles should be more efficient(all missiles Blue or Red). It is working on modes computers like mine.(XP2000/256Mb/Gf2MX).
  52. CN_Luke
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is great, but need to be pulished a lot. In one year, if the developers keep patching it, creating addons and they add a dynamic campaign, will be a classic. If receives the same support as Strike Fighters P1, this sim will die soon. If is updated like IL2, will be the best jet fighter sim of all times.
  53. JohnS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    If you are an avid flight sim nut then you appreciate the beauty of LockOn. It is great currently but has some few growing pains. One thing to remember is all the best flight sims had growing pains. Be patient, get the patch when it comes out and watch your 6.
  54. Someguy
    Dec 16, 2003
    worthless crap game buggy as hell for most people few get it to run and it still is missing much funtionality i returned it 3 days after i got it might be good in 6 months when fully patched but dont get ripped of by this beta quality crap.
  55. Drummerwhosaidthat
    Dec 16, 2003
    Going to be a great game but not yet. The bugs and the lack of a decent written manual by the publishers [UBI soft] mean I give it a 6. Now maybe in six months when the bugs have been addressed in a patch or two....I would love to revise this score.
  56. MJ
    Dec 16, 2003
    Needs work, but has the potential to dethrone Falcon 4. Steep Hardware requirements, but third party hotfixes to tweak FPS are out already, a patch to squash some bugs mentioned earlier is on it's way. A must for fans of Migs and SU's.
  57. RCRC
    Dec 16, 2003
    An excellent, if not revolutionary game in most counts. The reasons why I don't award it a full 10 are: lack of a good (dynamic) campaign system, which would add immersion to the game; lack of a dynamic weather system; and although I am able to run the game perfectly, it does have bugs that cause some people a lot of problems - in some cases preventing them from playing them. An excellent, if not revolutionary game in most counts. The reasons why I don't award it a full 10 are: lack of a good (dynamic) campaign system, which would add immersion to the game; lack of a dynamic weather system; and although I am able to run the game perfectly, it does have bugs that cause some people a lot of problems - in some cases preventing them from playing them. Overall, the best flight models, scenery, and graphics you have ever see in a flight sim. It's a must see!!! Expand
  58. BrettF.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game was meant to push hardware to the limits like so many other flight sims in the past.. F4, F18, etc..etc.. Each are still being played today. If you want a fun smooth arcade game, go back to a XBox. You want to simulate a flight experience in a smooth enviroment (medium setting will do just fine for most people), then this game is for you. 2 bad points. 1. UBISoft's This game was meant to push hardware to the limits like so many other flight sims in the past.. F4, F18, etc..etc.. Each are still being played today. If you want a fun smooth arcade game, go back to a XBox. You want to simulate a flight experience in a smooth enviroment (medium setting will do just fine for most people), then this game is for you. 2 bad points. 1. UBISoft's cheapskate tendencies showed up with a manual that is barely readable. (tho this has been rectified with a higher res version on the website) 2. Some game play bugs that effect most older hardware/OS users. These are being address in the first patch, which is expected before this year's end. Like F15, F18, F4 and others, they were as buggy if not worse in some instances during their intial release. Instant gratification types (XBOX PS2 types) need not apply with this game. I enjoy it immensely and have the time of my life with it. Expand
  59. Zembla
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game is known to bring even the best platforms to its knees, reason for this is the complexity of the game. A rather unpleasant side effect of this is the prone-ness to bugs, simple logics. Unfortunalty the the game currently is far from bug-free, even though the designers spent lots of time debugging the product some evident bugs have slipped through to the "gold disc". Additionally The game is known to bring even the best platforms to its knees, reason for this is the complexity of the game. A rather unpleasant side effect of this is the prone-ness to bugs, simple logics. Unfortunalty the the game currently is far from bug-free, even though the designers spent lots of time debugging the product some evident bugs have slipped through to the "gold disc". Additionally the creators have done little or nothing to improve compatibility with common hardware such as for example the GeForce 4MX line of graphical cards. Eventhough they have made improvements in that regard, the effort seems a little sloppy through some evident bugs that are connected with this compatibility. One would wonder what's the best suitable system for Lo-MAC? I don't know, I'm able to run it on my P4 2Ghz 768MB PC2100 and my GF4MX460 pretty fine (part from the bugs). Of course if you're used to FPS framerates you'll be disappointed when seeing the FPS readouts. The game itself is magnificent in every way, perhaps the lack of a dynamic campaign is a little disappointing, but the gameplay and realism make up for this, this realism however is something that's not entirely bug-free - BUT don't start saying they're biased in their 'accurate' modeling of softicitated military hardware. The graphical beauty is endless. Get's a 7 from me... Expand
  60. JohnB.
    Great sim.
  61. JamesKnight
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is definatly the new benchmark for modern flight sims. Move over Falcon 4!
  62. MrMudd
    Dec 16, 2003
    In a time of multiple entertainment avenues for the home consumer. LOCK on has many challenges set before it. The choice ofton these days as opposed to the mid 90's when Flight Simulations were at their height. is now you have some competitors for your personal entertainment. Today you have Consoles, and DVDS, and internet to fill the void. In this publishers understand that the In a time of multiple entertainment avenues for the home consumer. LOCK on has many challenges set before it. The choice ofton these days as opposed to the mid 90's when Flight Simulations were at their height. is now you have some competitors for your personal entertainment. Today you have Consoles, and DVDS, and internet to fill the void. In this publishers understand that the Investment required to make a quality sim far exceeeds a return on investment. Lock on is a novel approach. in this approach they attemtped to laydown a high defined flying enviroment with plenty of dynamics and challenges available to the player provided tey wish to use the fast mission planner or user Mission planner. Te player is afforded multiple aircraft to fly. the other neat aspect. Is that theres other activities other than flying. With the high investment into AI objects in the game. battle scenarios and capabilities can be tested. This is one avenue military enthusiest will enjoy. Next is the Spielbergs of gameing. Those enthusiests that enjoy cinemetographer pursuits. this has been a very popular aspect of the IL2 online community. The differnce of Lomac is they provide you the media makeing tools. with a Track recording and playback feature, that allows the end user to manipulate camera views and then to record them with the movie makeing feature, that captures the whole event 1 screen capture at a time. While this is a slow process it provides you with game quality photage that far exceeds Digital out and or 3rd party screen capture methods. This is one feature that had the fans of this title ecstatic through the whole development process. When critics make instant judgements against lomac they fail to grasp the multitude of differnt activities available to the LOMAC consuker. Above is just a few of the highlights. LOMAC deliever a very very solid foundation with graphics quality far exceeding any simulation to date. It is an aviators wonderland. With multiple developers buyouts by several publishers and companies. I am amazed that the integrity of the simulation was held together. This is an Attribute to a very sound development plan that weighed, changeing budgets, Publisher deadlines and consumer expectations. the developers, Consultants, and Producers succeeded in creating a very solid foundation. On the surface to the hardcore crowd it may look below the par for genre. but i believe this is not the case. LOMAC never has had a Roof set over it. Its primary goal was to provide all the differnt Enthusiests an activity in one package. This title has Expansion and growth all over it. their is no limit, to what can be done in the sime for the enthusiest or the developer. This title is a goldmine. All that is required is forthe Consumer to pickup the tools that have been made available to them and harvest this multifaceted entertainment package. I belive lock on has sold the community a 500 Dolalr simulation package 40 dollars at a time. I expect great things from the Eagle Dynamics and Fighter Collection team. Expand
  63. V.D.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This is just a new Simbenchmark and a whole new Flightsimexperience, don´t miss it...
  64. JohnM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Il2 with modern jet combat. Requires a superlative video card to make the most of its graphics, some of which can't be run on the fastest of todays PCs, however - the best of it genre.
  65. MamJ.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I like averything in this game exept 3 things. you need a very fast machine and a good video card to run this game at max settings even if you max it out you will still have low fps sometimes. second this is Campaign, you can't play the next mission if you have not completed the one your curently in, how arcade is that? and last is the lack of communication between flights. if you I like averything in this game exept 3 things. you need a very fast machine and a good video card to run this game at max settings even if you max it out you will still have low fps sometimes. second this is Campaign, you can't play the next mission if you have not completed the one your curently in, how arcade is that? and last is the lack of communication between flights. if you are not using labels you will have no clue whats going on. Overall I will recommand to buy this game, I have only said bad things about this sim but it deos not mean it's not good. this sim has more good things than bad, it would take too much time for me to write all the good things. Expand
  66. PhillipM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Weak documentation, buggy, rushed out earily to beat Falcon4 Gold OIR in my opinion. Will be a great sim when fixed.
  67. PinpointH.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is under V1.0 There will be more patches, this will be the IL2 for the Modern Jet fighter. The campaingn editor is great and very easy to build missions. Many rant that its a beta, Ubi is beyond hope of proper distribution and advertisement. Eagle Dynamic built a very good flight simulator, its not a perfectly realistic, but it does the job and quite well. As with any new This game is under V1.0 There will be more patches, this will be the IL2 for the Modern Jet fighter. The campaingn editor is great and very easy to build missions. Many rant that its a beta, Ubi is beyond hope of proper distribution and advertisement. Eagle Dynamic built a very good flight simulator, its not a perfectly realistic, but it does the job and quite well. As with any new software, it has some demanding system specs in order to work well. I hope the soon to be patch will fix many of the major issues. Expand
  68. BisonBranco
    Dec 16, 2003
    Hey, it´s the best! Simple as that!
  69. frag_tallnmbao
    Dec 16, 2003
    They 've to give us money cause we need CRY2 system to run this missed game, i said "game" ok? :) that is.
  70. Eagle
    Dec 16, 2003
    I love the game. I have a nice system with WinXP Pro and it works wonderfully. If you have a large system to run it the game is wonderful. I'd have liked more depth, but it's still a LOT of fun.
  71. JoeP.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Terrific ....best I've played..needs work, but played right out-of-the box w/ minor tweaks. Realistic and still "fun". Great grafics and sound. After patches..it will be superior and 10+ rating.
  72. Tosch
    Dec 16, 2003
    Best military flightsim i ever played. Has the potential for a 10.
  73. PaulH.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Me being a die hard Falcon 4 flyer, I can honestly say that this game has much potential. The graphics are suberb, the FM's are awesome, sounds quality explosive. Not to mention that you can fly other planes with it's own characteristics. The things that I did not like are: No dynamic campaigns Cockpits lack realism in functionality In time, I feel that the furture releases may Me being a die hard Falcon 4 flyer, I can honestly say that this game has much potential. The graphics are suberb, the FM's are awesome, sounds quality explosive. Not to mention that you can fly other planes with it's own characteristics. The things that I did not like are: No dynamic campaigns Cockpits lack realism in functionality In time, I feel that the furture releases may enhance these experiences and be a truely great sim. Expand
  74. 195th_HollywoodLeMieux
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is very promising.. Although with its bugs that game has GREAT potential.. By far the best flight sim made...
  75. MikeH.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Rushed out the door, but still a worthy and solid "8". Had the patch been out, and some of the bugs worked out radar and otherwise- It would rate much higher. Lock On is a deep sim, and is worth getting and learning on even before the patch is due to be released (soon). Add this one to your Christmas list folks.
  76. Ola
    The new benchmark
  77. PhilipC.
    Dec 16, 2003
    A very good combat sim! Excellent graphics and very realistic!
  78. FrankE.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Really really a rough diamond which will become the ultimate flight sim after a patch or two. BUY this one if you're the slightest bit interested in flight simulators.
  79. BillM.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Outstanding flight simulator. Only let down by lack of missions and dynamic campaign - which could limit its longevity. UBI needs to produce a campaign, or make it open sourced for 3rd party developers.
  80. RyanD.
    Awesome game!
  81. ChuckB.
    Dec 17, 2003
    It doesn't get much better than this in a jet flight sim. It's going through some growing pains, but every decent flight sim does. It's as good or better than Jane's FA18 just because of the wide variety of aircraft that you can chose from. Anyone who is seriously interested in flight sims of current aircraft is missing the boat if they don't get this one.
  82. MarkT.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Although a problem playing from the box after running some simple tweaks and replacing some files you have a very smooth and playable flight sim with great immersion value. Cooperative online play brings you closer to the war raging. You will need to honestly be 'into' flight sims to play this but even for fairly new flight sim player like myself I found it easy to get in to. Although a problem playing from the box after running some simple tweaks and replacing some files you have a very smooth and playable flight sim with great immersion value. Cooperative online play brings you closer to the war raging. You will need to honestly be 'into' flight sims to play this but even for fairly new flight sim player like myself I found it easy to get in to. XP2000+ with Ti4200 (64) and 1Gb Ram works with medium gfx settings very smooth (after the tweaks). Buy It! Expand
  83. Devothaan
    Dec 17, 2003
    Not perfect, has some issues but it also has the potential to become by far the best flight sim ever.
  84. TorL.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Poorly written graphics engine, will not perform on current hardware. Minimum specs (on the box) is a joke / marketing ploy. I returned the game for a refund.
  85. StaffanJ.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Flightdynamics are very accurate, sense of speed is fabulous, graphics are very nice (but powerhungry). Documentation is lacking to say the least, and a patch is required for some issues, I give it 9/10
  86. Witness
    Superb game!
  87. AndyK.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Good potential, but shipped with a lot of bugs. The first patch or two should shape it up nicely though.
  88. NS
    Dec 17, 2003
    Its everything a sim should be.
  89. Stephane
    Dec 17, 2003
    This is a fantastic game. No one could imagine such a game released without any bugs. Any flight sim fan knows that a game is stable 6 months after its official release, when user inputs have been used to correct the game's problems. Anyway, even with those bugs (some are bad I admit), this is a GREAT game and I enjoy it every evening.
  90. DavidS.
    Dec 17, 2003
    LO-MAC offers the most detailed realistic and amazing graphic avionic and flight model EVER! it is a complete packadge, with immersion puringg out your eyes and ears, it is as close as you get to perfection and there is no flight simulation to beat it withing sights, graphic get 9/10, immersion get 8/10, realism get 9/10, multiplayer ease of use get 10/10, recording track/avi ability get LO-MAC offers the most detailed realistic and amazing graphic avionic and flight model EVER! it is a complete packadge, with immersion puringg out your eyes and ears, it is as close as you get to perfection and there is no flight simulation to beat it withing sights, graphic get 9/10, immersion get 8/10, realism get 9/10, multiplayer ease of use get 10/10, recording track/avi ability get 9/10 (10 if you could alter views while playing back the track more like a replay), training get 9/10 (10 if miss spelling was left out and voice over included) all in all it is the most beautiful wonderful amazing flight simulator to date and one where you actually have to learn an aircraft to fly it, and the more willing you are to learn and master it, the bigger the reward in game will be, i could write a LONG extensive review but i wont, three words, BEAUTIFUL, IMMERSIVE, IMPRESSIVE! only thing that troubles it is the feel of an unfinished product released to quickly/early, with miss spellings, things left out of the PDF manual and already not beeing complete at all (70% of everything good to know and learn you will have to get on your own on the internet or the forum) and graphic glitches and miss-out's and avionics glitches and miss-out's, model glitches and miss-out's, etc. no introduction video, left out dynamic campaign, requires a high end computer which in my case i dont have but still LOVE that it is that way, when i do upgrade again ill set settings up and go at it again, REPLAYABILITY! good thing it got such a good support by developers, producersm ubisoft, patches will be made bringing it constantly towards perfection, A MUST BY! try to fly it you will be STUCK! Expand
  91. HaraldSeisenbacher
    Dec 17, 2003
    This is a very serious attempt at a simulation of flying jets of the late 20th centrury era.

The flight models are impressive, the eye candy is unsurpassed and the full mission planner potentially gives you a tool to fly whatever mission you might dream up. Of course there are som bugs to be squashed still - but show me one pice of software without the need for at least one patch

Of course there are som bugs to be squashed still - but show me one pice of software without the need for at least one patch nowadays.

As for the needed sys-specs: I always wonder about people who turn everything up to "maximum" on their outdated systems.
    Either turn the options down if you have an old machine (that is the reason for having options in the first place), or go buy yourself a new one. It´s that easy. This simulation will still be interesting from with tomorrows machines - I for my part, I´m apreciating this.

Harald, a.k.a. Odin914
  92. CoolSpy
    Dec 17, 2003
    This sim has some clear potential to become the top one for the years to come. Sure, it has its issues for now: crashes, choppy framerate, bad TrackIR 2 support. But my friends, sims always suck when they come out, don't they ? Remember Falcon 4 at its beginnings ? Look at how Falcon 4 is like now !? When we get the proper patches, this will become an amazing product. The only BIG This sim has some clear potential to become the top one for the years to come. Sure, it has its issues for now: crashes, choppy framerate, bad TrackIR 2 support. But my friends, sims always suck when they come out, don't they ? Remember Falcon 4 at its beginnings ? Look at how Falcon 4 is like now !? When we get the proper patches, this will become an amazing product. The only BIG COMPLAIN about the game (which explains my rating) is for me the ridiculous manual and missing keycard i found in the box ! Sure there is a PDF, but Jesus, we are talking about a flight sim ! We need a decent manual with the game, even if we have to pay a few more bucks for it ! I still remember the Falcon 4 doc or the Flanker 2.0 one: this is what we needed guys ! Except this, Lock On is a jewel: great graphics, great flight models and radar modes, great HOTAS support ... really you will love it for the years to come ! Expand
  93. Brooks
    Dec 17, 2003
    great game, I run windows xp pro and love this game. My only reason for not a 10 was it didn't come with a key card and I had to contact the vendor to get one.. Which they sent me.
  94. SørenK.
    Dec 17, 2003
    It's a beaty. Playable, highstrung, and will deliver great immersive experiences for years to come. The only thing that prevents me from giving this a 10 is the HUGE amount of bugs in the initial release. But hopefully a series of patches will adress these
  95. JensF.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This game is good... it need some tweaks... but is great 2 have 5 planes to fligh...
  96. KreckochovS.
    not fast feeling of speed but great game is it. so 7, maybe better if fast
  97. CarlN.
    It's a bit shite.
  98. AndyS.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This game sets new standards for Flight Simulations in the future. Awesome Graphics and tons of features and details. But a complicated sim like this needs good documentation and there is none. Even the 3rd-Party manual which costs an extra $40 is not comprehensive enough to cover everything.
  99. AdamB.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Fantastic sim, graphics and flight model. Few bugs but they should be ironed out in the upcoming months. It does exactly what it says on the tin.
  100. SkylaneRGMig-29S_RG
    Dec 17, 2003
    In an decade when fighter simulation is overpopulated with NATO aircraft, I find refreshing to shoot back at those aircraft who always seemed to have the upper hand. Eagle Dynamics has by far gone beyond my expectations as they did with their first product Su-27. There is certainly a lesson learned flying a rough, rugged, unsophisticated aircraft devoid of all the bells and whistles that In an decade when fighter simulation is overpopulated with NATO aircraft, I find refreshing to shoot back at those aircraft who always seemed to have the upper hand. Eagle Dynamics has by far gone beyond my expectations as they did with their first product Su-27. There is certainly a lesson learned flying a rough, rugged, unsophisticated aircraft devoid of all the bells and whistles that can hang in any dogfight and even come out on top. From helmet mounted sights to 0/0 ejection seats, I am most pleased with the modeling and capability these formidable aircraft present. LOMAC is the definitive Soviet block sim to last and has certainly succeeded Flanker 2.5. It may contain its' share of bugs and what have you but it is still a top notch simulation anyone getting their hand around won't want to give up quickly. Expand

1. Our favourite is the A-10 Warthog – cruising at 50 feet, on the prowl for enemy tanks, it’s one of the most exhilarating missions available in any recent simulator.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    Detailed terrain, buildings, water, and effects lend an unprecedented feeling of speed to low-level flight. [March 2004, p.82]
  3. It has great graphics, fairly simple controls, great scenery, a decent choice of planes, and a great editor. Although the sounds easily get on your nerves, it will be the load times and need for a computer upgrade that will have you pulling your hair out.