6.7

1. Apr 6, 2013
    Lords of Football has about as much depth as the puddle forming outside my window. Just go play Football Manager again.

Seriously, if you want a football simulation, play FM. If you want control over the matches, play FIFA. If you want to organise the day-to-day lives of the characters, play The Sims. Lords of Football tries to do all of those things at once, but doesn't even come close
    to achieving one of them.

Half of the game involves staring at a Sims-like city overview, where the day is divided into two sections: training and night-life. You are supposed to micro-manage your players' activities throughout this period, but there just isn't that much that the game lets you do. For a simulation game, the lack of control and freedom is quite astounding. I can't stress just how uninspired this aspect of the game is. Imagine the Sims, but where you have no ability to customise or interact with anything.

Apart from occasionally dragging and dropping a player onto a new training exercise/night-time activity, there is essentially nothing for you to do during these segments. There is no financial system. You can't build new buildings (you unlock facilities and new training possibilities through a generic achievement system). You can't play the transfer market (you make recommendations to your boss as to the type of player he should be looking for). You can't scout new talent. You can't hire staff. You can't interact with your players. You can't negotiate contracts. It is essentially just 5-10 minutes of watching the game play itself. I actually spent several of these periods scouring through every part of the game, because I was convinced that there had to be something more to it.

The other half of the game revolves around the actual matches. Unsurprisingly (when you consider the calibre and size of its competition), the game engine is not up to par. It feels buggy and unpolished. Far too many times my players, despite being under no pressure whatsoever, would dribble the ball straight over the sideline, or pass the ball directly to an opposition player's feet. The graphics, as throughout the rest of the game, are fairly good.

Far and away the most interesting part of Lords of Football is the control it gives you within a match. When the game is paused, you are able to give direct commands to individual players. For example, I could plot a run for my winger that cuts inside from out wide, while having my centre-mid play a ball in behind the defence that he will run on to. Once you've got the hang of them, these moves can be really effective and will often lead to goals. This is a mechanic which I would be interested in seeing developed further, in one of the better quality offerings out there.

Unfortunately, the innovations within Lords of Football begin and end there. Alone, it isn't enough of a justification to keep playing. There is definitely an interesting concept somewhere within the game, but its implementation here leaves everything to be desired. A football simulation game where I could actually control the lives of my players would be something that I would definitely play, it it was done right. This isn't.
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    Really nothing special here. Generic, boring, dull. Other than graphics the game itself is quite comparable to any football game you could have bought 10+ years ago. Overall I would say still with the title you already have.
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    "Utterly boring" that's all I can say about this game. The graphic itself if okay but the game just makes me feel sick. It lacks of creativity and style. Don't ever buy this game, ever.
  4. MTR
    Apr 6, 2013
    Una idea original destrozada totalmente.
    El pincipal gran problema, desde mi punto de vista, es la interface, diseñada sin pensar en lo mas básico, donde los fallos estan a todos los niveles: no poder hacer "pausa", invertir el "girar la cámara", la falta de todo tipo de tablas para comparar jugadores,... Actualmente sólo los que han diseñado el juego son capaces de jugar una partida
    sabiendo lo que haces.
    Sin duda muchos parches y rápido tienen que aparecer para que este juego no sea un total fracaso. Una autentica lástima

1. Jun 7, 2013
    Lords of Football has a great idea behind it, but it's an unripe fruit. After enjoying it for some time, you will inevitably notice some gaps in the gameplay mechanics.
  2. May 19, 2013
    The original idea to combine footballer’s life simulation dynamics with football manager’s management mechanics is surely intriguing, but not fully developed, failing to entertain for more than a season or two. It is like trying to get Balotelli and Mourinho to coexist: lots of fun for a while, bone-crushing in the long run.
  3. May 14, 2013
    Even though Lords of Football has some interesting ideas, in a few hours the game becomes unbearably repetitive thing unable to challenge nor reward its players.