7.8

1. May 8, 2012
    After stumbling across Jolly Rover then enjoying the heck out of it, I was excited to see what Brawsome would come out with next. So I picked this up as soon as it was out, a bit leery because of the apparently puzzle nature but slightly reassured by the web site's promises of an 'adventure mode.' Turns out, 'adventure mode' apparently means having a quest log that tells you what littleAfter stumbling across Jolly Rover then enjoying the heck out of it, I was excited to see what Brawsome would come out with next. So I picked this up as soon as it was out, a bit leery because of the apparently puzzle nature but slightly reassured by the web site's promises of an 'adventure mode.' Turns out, 'adventure mode' apparently means having a quest log that tells you what little cinematic you'll get after finishing some more puzzles. As a puzzle game....I don't care for it. I really don't like the default controls, but haven't messed around with them enough to see if I can find a setup that I prefer. The mechanics of the game got tired quickly, for me. (Go to light, switch form, push box, go back to light, switch form, use button, go back to light, etc.) My advice: Save your $4. And remind me to stop buying games when I haven't played a demo. (Seriously.) :( Expand

1. May 27, 2013
    The team at Brawsome have definitely aimed for the retro feel especially with the top-down pseudo-isometric view, reminiscent of the middle-era Ultima titles. The simple gameplay and controls make this a game that anyone can play in short bursts or for extended periods, and with the addictive nature of the puzzles be prepared to look at the clock and wonder where the time has gone.
  2. May 30, 2012
    Tortures your mind while tickling your funnybone. [June 2012, p.67]
  3. May 3, 2012
    As far as puzzle games go, MacGuffin's Curse is certainly challenging enough, but does rely heavily on a couple of core mechanics to the point that it feels repetitive after a while. On the plus side, all the "flavor" stuff thrown in -- story, characters, mini-games, etc. -- goes a long way to keeping you interested in seeing what happens next.