6.6

1. Jan 23, 2013
    I bought Magical Drop 5 the day I saw it on sale on Steam. At the time, for myself, along with several other people, the game was unplayable. Hard crashes every couple of minutes to the point where we couldn't even have time to beat the first 2 levels in story mode, online was completely out of the picture, etc. The dev studio spent an extensive amount of time and energy keeping in touch with those of us that had problems and pushed out ~5 patches in maybe 2 weeks. Even having issues after that, they had me provide detailed crash data with a debugger they provided. A month later, the game runs perfectly for me and everyone else that I've heard was still having crash problems. Despite the rocky launch, Golgoth is an exemplary show of developers listening to their players and committing to fixing everything they possibly can and adding content post release for free. Even after the bug fixes, they're working on adding new online modes and a single player endless mode. I played a ton of Magical Drop 3 and this is my new favorite version. If you enjoy the Magical Drop series, you're missing out by not buying 5. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Jan 10, 2013
    There's the potential for a great competitive puzzler here, but the missing features, along with the iffy odds of actually connecting to an online game without something getting mucked up, make Magical Drop 5 impossible to recommend.
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    Magical Drop V had a lot of promise. With a simple mechanic of matching three orbs to clear a board, you wouldn't think the developers could mess that up, somehow, they did. The AI is all over the place, with frustratingly hard difficulties to laughably stupid, easy difficulties. The online play would have been great if it weren't for the bad lag, and the game in and of itself would have been a really fun time if it hadn't been so sluggishly implemented.
  3. Nov 15, 2012
    If nothing else, Magical Drop V succeeds in featuring one of the most busted English translations I've seen in years. It's the closest the game comes to offering some genuinely entertaining '90s nostalgia.