7.6

1. Oct 5, 2011
    Crazy fun-filled spectaular game has me mesmerised from start to finish. I dont think I've ever panicked so much whilst playing a game, nor had as much fun. And the opportunities for friendly fire in co-op are pretty much unbeatable I reckon. Love it. And it's cheap as chips! Great value for money.
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    The game had a VERY rocky start. I bought the game when it was first released and it had a lot of glitches and bugs (crashes, black screens, etc). But after a year, they've REALLY fleshed out the game and fixed the bugs. I love the references to media culture. It makes the game a laugh a minute. The game isn't about button mashing, so people who couldn't get into the game because ofThe game had a VERY rocky start. I bought the game when it was first released and it had a lot of glitches and bugs (crashes, black screens, etc). But after a year, they've REALLY fleshed out the game and fixed the bugs. I love the references to media culture. It makes the game a laugh a minute. The game isn't about button mashing, so people who couldn't get into the game because of that need to learn to actually play a game. The game gives you a lot of different combinations of spells that drastically affect how the spell works and what it does. Mixing in the fact that you can have 4 people playing together AND their spells can combine to make different outcomes with higher levels of destruction make the game very replayable. That brings me to the reason why people probably won't like the game as much when playing co-op, it requires TEAM WORK. Friendly fire is on (which is good, because otherwise the game would allow you spam spells and not worry about hurting your team mate...meaning you could walk through the game). But thanks to the addition to different robes, you can form strategies between your team mates that make you need to think about what you're doing (which means no button mashing noobs). The game is solid and the plot is silly but fun. Play this game and keep your eyes peeled for easter eggs and references to everything from star trek to monty python. Collapse
  3. May 14, 2012
    If you're like me and you bought magicka on launch, I don't blame you for hating magicka. The launch was probably one of the worst for recent games, with it being unplayable for about a week or two. If you bought the game after this or had patience in it like me then you will find the game a very rewarding and unique experience. The skill cap is high while the game is easy to pick up.If you're like me and you bought magicka on launch, I don't blame you for hating magicka. The launch was probably one of the worst for recent games, with it being unplayable for about a week or two. If you bought the game after this or had patience in it like me then you will find the game a very rewarding and unique experience. The skill cap is high while the game is easy to pick up. Magicka is a great game to paly with friends as well, weather you are pvping, doing the campaign or doing the survival modes. The amount of crappy DLC that was released for it at a high price was pretty damn disappointing unless you bought it all on sale (good chance you would have seen it was on sale a lot). Overall Magicka is a great game definately worth buying at this time, it was just a shame that some of its reputation was ruined due to the buggy launch and overpriced dlc with little free content. Expand
  4. Oct 4, 2011
    Should you buy it?
    Definitely, yes. If you're looking for a good game and yet don't want to pay a lot of money, go for Magicka. Even if you're still unsure about the bugs people mention all the time, wait a a month and get it later on - it will improve even further.
    I haven't had that much fun with a game in months, and especially not THIS type of fun. Go, try the demo, buy the game,
    Should you buy it?

Go, try the demo, buy the game, support great devoted developers and laugh yourself into oblivion!

Full Review: http://darkchaplain-anotherstory.blogspot.com/2011/02/magicka-review.html
  5. Dec 30, 2012
    Strategic and funny when playing with friends. But there are a lot of bugs.
    It also has some good humor which is also sometimes stupid and ridiculous (internet memes).
  6. Feb 20, 2012
    I just picked this game up on steam for a whopping 80p with daily discount and a christmas voucher and i have to say its worth the full asking price, the game is funny, witty and the references to other games/movies are great. well its fun until near the end and then it gets incredibly hard, things kill you in 1 hit and the checkpoints can be far apart meaning 1 mistake or silly death andI just picked this game up on steam for a whopping 80p with daily discount and a christmas voucher and i have to say its worth the full asking price, the game is funny, witty and the references to other games/movies are great. well its fun until near the end and then it gets incredibly hard, things kill you in 1 hit and the checkpoints can be far apart meaning 1 mistake or silly death and its back 5 minutes. However all in all its a great game and well worth a play. Expand
  7. May 24, 2011
    It was everything I expected and more, the graphics were beautiful, the spell combinations and different weapons make for unique gameplay that is different every time I start my computer, the multiplayer was enjoyable, the game had the perfect amount of comedy and Easter Eggs, but not too much as to dumb down the game. Hands down best $10 I have ever spent.
  8. Mar 5, 2011
    This game, although some what glitchy at times, is all in all fun. The game has a fun and fulfilling storyline filled with pop-culture references, videogame easter eggs and all around silliness. It's not so much the gameplay or characters that makes me like this game (although they DO have some pretty sweet robes) it's the fact that they take themselves with a grain of salt and can makeThis game, although some what glitchy at times, is all in all fun. The game has a fun and fulfilling storyline filled with pop-culture references, videogame easter eggs and all around silliness. It's not so much the gameplay or characters that makes me like this game (although they DO have some pretty sweet robes) it's the fact that they take themselves with a grain of salt and can make fun of that fact too. Some patches have been released to fix all the previous bugs, I can play with my friends online easily and it is one of the few games that has made me laugh out loud more than once. Definitely a must buy, and definitely in my top ten games of all time. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2011
    I love the idea and concept, but for me the spell choices were overwhelming and felt a tendency to use the same spells over and over. Other then that the game was wonderful. I was fortunate to play it after 20 or so patches were applied so cannot comment on the immense bugs that were present at first.
  10. Mar 10, 2011
    Very Good indy games. At the beginning lot's of bug but now games is without bug.
    very interesting, low price, fun and awesome in coop. That's an excellent games.
  11. Mar 14, 2011
    If you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm doneIf you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm done there. The one complaint I can think of for this game is that magic combinations are in no way balanced. A QFQFAAS spell will do infinitely more damage than a rock spell. A rock spell also takes ~5 seconds to charge to full strength, while a beam spell will instantly deal greater damage than a rock spell. To make matters worse, a beam spell continually increases damage output the longer you leave a beam on an enemy. At the end of the day, two fully charged rock spells deal like 1/100 of the damage of a ten second long beam of energy. And that isn't even factoring in the potential for beams to be merged; that's just a single persons beam. Even with this grievous lack of game balance, this game will definitely give you many hours of playtime for a low cost. Expand
  12. Mar 14, 2011
    A great game. Though you can't lie and say there are no bugs, you can however say that they work to fix it. Magicka is a game about teamwork and hilarious jokes. I bought this game with one of my friends and as of now have beat it twice. I recommend this game for any 2-4 people with microphones to chat with.
  13. Mar 21, 2011
    For an indie game, pretty good. It has a unique gameplay system, is pretty hilarious, and has some great multiplayer. $10 might be a little much, though. But playing it using Steam or Skype voice chat with your buddies, and constantly accidentally murdering them, is priceless.
  14. Mar 15, 2011
    For an inexpensive indy game, this is a home-run. While it may have started out rough around the edges, Paradox, in their usual style, has burnt the midnight oil to whip this great little title into shape. Do yourself a favor and get yourself three friends together and let the mayhem begin.
  15. Apr 18, 2011
    Great deal on sale. I've already had many many hours of enjoyment for the low price of $5. The magic system is groundbreaking and brilliant, completely changing how magic casting will be done in future games no doubt. Having to use some of your own personal skill in creating the combos means it's less button spam and more personal skill and coordination. The spells are creative,Great deal on sale. I've already had many many hours of enjoyment for the low price of $5. The magic system is groundbreaking and brilliant, completely changing how magic casting will be done in future games no doubt. Having to use some of your own personal skill in creating the combos means it's less button spam and more personal skill and coordination. The spells are creative, entertaining, and quite powerful. You really do feel like a magic-slinging bad-a$$. There are some flaws, unfortunately: No save! You have to use the awful checkpoint system! An archaic throwback reminiscent of console ports. Also the way the enemies can stunlock you at time, making it impossible to cast any spells as you keep getting knocked down over and over. But one of the best things: No silly "mana" to keep track of! If I want to blast a spell, I can blast the darn spell! And keep blasting it as much as I like. This is the way it should be, no mana management or being able to not cast a spell cause you're out of mana. MAna is a horrible idea that wormed its way into games 10+ years ago and never went away. Its time has come, and Magicka has shown us the joy of being an uber-powerful wizard without mana deficiencies. Expand
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    Magicka is a game where you can play by yourself or with up to 4 players. You can use the traditional keyboard or gamepads. You can play 2 on the same computer and with your friends over the internet.
    What I like the most about this game is that you need to use your head and this game is hard. You will get used to die, a lot. But everyone also have a revive spell that you can use at all times. The spell casting system is new and innovative since you don't have any mana like almost all other games where you wield spells. You also got 8 elements and you can combine up to 5 elements at once. Almost every spell have it's own effect and will change the dynamic of the spells you cast. The only problem with this game was at the start of launch where you had a lot of crashes and bugs. But most of the problems are fixed since the game has had several updates since release. I have had a great time playing this game and it is well worth 10 euros. Playing this game solo is a little bit more difficult but you can do it if you use your head. I still don't understand how some people review this game as a bad game because it is hard. Personally I love that Magicka is a very unforgiving game where the game doesn't hold your freaking hand all the time like in Call of Duty and other games. Magicka doesn't follow the so called defaults that you have in other games, for example you can use all elements at the start but you can find spell books scattered around the world of Magicka, you can also pick up cool weapons and staffs that are either hidden or from fallen enemies. You can remap all the keys in the game but you have to be in the main menu which is a little bad I know. But still Magicka is well worth the money and the spell system is a great and the only thing that stops you is the imagination. I give this game a 10 because the people who made this game took a bit of a risk and did something that is new and innovative with a lot of fun video game humour and references inside that made you laugh like a little girl and it brought back some sweet memories.
  17. Mar 27, 2011
    I read a lot of the reviews on this game and most of them like to point out how glitches and bugs kill this game.. I agree there are some bugs but dont let it stop you from giving this game a chance. This game is very enjoyable because it adds new elements that we havent seen in another game.. i just wish multiplayer wasnt just coop and would have liked to seen more with it
  18. Apr 21, 2011
    super adictivo , inovador, es muy divertido en red con los amigos, tiene algun bug y por eso le doy un 9 , poco a poco los han ido arreglando . lo recomiendo totalmente
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    It's really fun to play with friends. Solo however it's pretty boring. It's one of those games that without multiplayer would be really boring and almost a pest to play.
  20. May 13, 2011
    This is one funny and fun game! The humour is great, with lots of nerdy pop culture references. The jibberish the characters speak is especially funny if you speak a Norse language, because then you can really notice how stupid it all sounds. As for the gameplay, it works really well. The combining of elements to create magic is an innovative system, which makes mana obsolete. The onlyThis is one funny and fun game! The humour is great, with lots of nerdy pop culture references. The jibberish the characters speak is especially funny if you speak a Norse language, because then you can really notice how stupid it all sounds. As for the gameplay, it works really well. The combining of elements to create magic is an innovative system, which makes mana obsolete. The only limit you have is how fast you can press the keys, and also some spells need to be unlocked. I've only played this game singelplayer so far, and have yet to beat it. It would probably be easier with a friend... If he was a good player who doesn't friendly fire at you, that is. Because there are LOTS of opportunities and possibilities to get enemies, allies and yourself killed. Often in hilarious ways. Oh, and I got the game at 50% of on Steam, so that's pretty much a steal. AS FOR BUGS, the team has obviously been working really hard to fix them, because I've experienced none. Oh, and they added a spell called "Crash to desktop" together with the bug fixes... Genius. Expand
  21. May 17, 2011
    Finally completing the game and unlocking the majority of achievements I can say Magicka is a top-notch multi-player adventure game with a genius hook. Firstly, I ran through the game with three other friends and it was a lot of fun, although a slow start because upon its release the menus were lagging and riddled with CTDs for us. Me and my friends loved figuring out spell combinations,Finally completing the game and unlocking the majority of achievements I can say Magicka is a top-notch multi-player adventure game with a genius hook. Firstly, I ran through the game with three other friends and it was a lot of fun, although a slow start because upon its release the menus were lagging and riddled with CTDs for us. Me and my friends loved figuring out spell combinations, boss strategies and also knocking each other off the map. I found with the four of us it was difficult to coordinate and would more often then not ruin the fun for each other.

I recommend playing the game co-op, just 2 people, it is easier to co-ordinate and execute strats. One of us would shoot a freezing energy beam and the other a water energy beam blowing enemies up into ice crystal then we would combine electrical attacks to destroy the frozen enemies. It worked wonders and we progressed smoothly through the game. Magicka had a lot of solid mechanics and special spells that it felt there was always new attacks to discover and mess with. For the price, length and multi-player mayhem this game is magical. Sorry, that is bad closer.
  22. May 25, 2011
    Magicka is definatly a fun game. Normally, when I try out a new game, it takes some time for me to really enjoy it, but I was overcome with joy from the first moment of playing Magicka.

In this game, you combine spells from 8 different elements. Some elements empower others, for instance lightning becomes more powerful if you already cast steam or water on your opponent. You can do both aoe, single target and selftarget with the same spell, changing how it works. There are also premade spells that you can learn from books, like thunderstorm or teleport, and they works in the same way as all other spells; by combining the elements in a specific order.

The campaign is hillarious. You get to hear references from tons of movies and games in a very fun tone while bashing monsters with all the tricks you have picked up from killing your teammates by accident.

Another fun gamemode is the arena. This is different from the campaign, as the only objective here is to survive waves of incoming attacks from monsters. This is very hard to complete alone, as you will need teamwork for some of the waves. Everything in this game is more fun if you play it with up to three friends.

The downside of this game is lack of content. I played the game for about 4 hours, and then the campaign was complete, then another 1-2 hours for both arenas to be complete. And then there were nothing left to do, and I haven't played the game since.

In short, the game is brilliant and alot of fun, but it lacks content, and you don't get many hours of fun before you have to do the same content over again.
  23. May 27, 2011
    Magicka is only $10. It might lack polish, but there is plenty of content and unexpected enjoyment in this title to justify that price and more. Itâ
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    Terribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more funTerribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more fun than playing it alone Expand
  25. Jan 4, 2012
    A great game that has kept me captivated for hours. Yet to invest in the DLC but plan to in the future to add to the already amazing longevity the game has.
  26. Mar 12, 2012
    Hilarious game in local co-op. If you can get 4 friends in a room with this game hooked up to a nice monitor, the fun only stops when the game ends. Must buy!
  27. Jun 16, 2012
    This game amuses me. It's a fun filled RPG with basic controls but loads of possibilities. Rather than spoil the story, I'm going to tell you to purchase it for the small price they have for it on Steam ($10). The DLC isn't necessary, but it does make your game more enjoyable and fun! The game design in and of itself is brilliant. Complete experimentation allows you to try new ways toThis game amuses me. It's a fun filled RPG with basic controls but loads of possibilities. Rather than spoil the story, I'm going to tell you to purchase it for the small price they have for it on Steam ($10). The DLC isn't necessary, but it does make your game more enjoyable and fun! The game design in and of itself is brilliant. Complete experimentation allows you to try new ways to play in Adventure, PVP, or Survival scenarios. For the media savvy, this game contains a variety of enjoyable references to some classic TV shows, Movies, and video games. Silly slapstick humor, endless fun with friends, and pure experimentation. A must in your gaming library! Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2012
    This game is great, because there are thousands of spell combinations and robes, and the game is really funny. It's even 4 player co-op, so you can play with your friends, and troll them because PvP is on. Multiplayer gamemodes also include survival and PvP. This game is definetly worth the $10.
  29. Jan 22, 2014
    El juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duraciĆ³n puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunasEl juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duraciĆ³n puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunas misiones. Expand
  30. Dec 11, 2013
    absolutely great game, it has a pleasing art style, unique magic system, it also has its moments when it comes to humor, I am wondering why its metascore is not higher to be quite honest.
  31. Apr 5, 2012

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.