7.6

1. Feb 6, 2011
    Magicka is Castle Crashers' slightly slower-paced but all too endearing cousin. It's a somewhat simple premise to hand a player elemental magicks and say "go nuts," but I found myself addicted to just finding new permutations of spells I kept using and mixing. Mostly forgetting those permutations in my experimentations, but rediscovery is just as fun as the initial go.
    Multiplayer
    Multiplayer produces hilarious spectacle when you're trying to rez a buddy, but end up blowing up your 3rd friend instead. Permanent friendly-fire was perhaps the best design choice by far. Just don't take yourself too seriously. And be prepared for a lot of nerd media references. Shameless references. Face-reddening puns. You'll see them coming, you'll laugh, you'll feel bad for laughing-- all in the best possible way.
    In for a laugh? Talked a buddy into it? There are FAR worse things you could drop $10 on. GG Paradox.
  2. Feb 23, 2011
    The best $10 and 10 hours I've spent this year. Awesome gameplay that focuses on combining magic elements in various ways. Humorous plot and characters. CO-OP(omg). This game rules in so many ways.
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    Best "gauntlet" type game ever made. Magicka is fun,addictive,innovative and cheap. It cost mere 10 Euros or Dollars. Buy this game! Thats an order!
  4. Feb 7, 2011
    It is very unstable game but i love it! !. . . ........................................................................................................................................................................ .
  5. Feb 8, 2011
    Played the game and loved it. There were a couple of bugs present but they were quickly patched and the developers seem to care a lot. I would recommend this game to anyone, after all the price is just $10. If you're not sure whether this game is for you or not just download the demo available for free and try it out.
  6. Feb 6, 2011
    So i bought this game without any high expectations at all. But it has turned out to be one of the most fun games i have ever spent money on. It is WELL worth the $9.99 and i would have paid more if i knew it would be this good. Magicka combines the elements (no pun intended) of humor, action, and teamwork into a masterpiece. I have only had it for a week and i've already played about 30So i bought this game without any high expectations at all. But it has turned out to be one of the most fun games i have ever spent money on. It is WELL worth the $9.99 and i would have paid more if i knew it would be this good. Magicka combines the elements (no pun intended) of humor, action, and teamwork into a masterpiece. I have only had it for a week and i've already played about 30 hours of it. There are a few bugs yes, but the devs are doing a great job of keeping the game up to date and patching it. I absolutely love the music, the scenery, the gameplay, the humor, (which has a lot of... "reference" jokes) and action. This is one of my new favorite games, and i expect others will enjoy it as much as i am. Expand
  7. Feb 6, 2011
    The best 10 euros i spent EVER.
    Even though it has its share of bugs,
    the game is tons of fun especially co-op.
    and is very replayable :)
    Download the demo and see for yourself.
  8. Feb 6, 2011
    Most people have thus far criticized the game (and rightly so) for the enormous number of bugs it had upon release. Having bought and played the game over a week after release, I myself only experienced a handfull of frustrations.

While these were annoying, they were completely overshadowed by the sheer volume of fun and hilarity the game offers. Playing co-op with a friend, I don't think I've laughed that hard in ages. The innovative game-play, funny dialog and outrageous in-game antics made for a heck of a fun evening.

As the bugs get patched and forgotten, I highly recommend the game to everyone who can find a friend to play with; I can't fathom some of those battles being handled alone!
  9. Feb 6, 2011
    Bought it for $10 USD on Steam - played about an hour so far and have never laughed so hard at a hack and slash RPG in my life. Well worth the money - any bugs that might have been present during the launch have not plagued me at all.
  10. Feb 8, 2011
    Magicka is really a very entertaining game, iam having lots of fun and i would certainly recommended it to everyone. If you love casting spells and doing spell mixes then this game is certainly for you, it is also quite challenging and the developers are releasing patches with fixes and new features every few days. The game was buggy upon release but it has now been improved a lot with allMagicka is really a very entertaining game, iam having lots of fun and i would certainly recommended it to everyone. If you love casting spells and doing spell mixes then this game is certainly for you, it is also quite challenging and the developers are releasing patches with fixes and new features every few days. The game was buggy upon release but it has now been improved a lot with all the crash issues resolved for me. For only $10 this is a great deal! Expand
  11. Feb 9, 2011
    Nice game. Developers have released nine patches up to date science game release (less than a two weeks ago). I must say that the game is pretty stable now.
  12. Feb 15, 2011
    I'm not going to explain why I gave this game a 10. Go watch the trailer. Then go download the demo on steam. If you're super excited to buy the game at this point, you're not alone.

Best $10 ever.
  13. Feb 16, 2011
    After a dozen patches, this game feels like a full-fledged product. The innovative magic-mechanic may not give you "thousands of combinations" bit it gives quite a few to play around with. The gameplay wouldn't be as rewarding if it weren't for the humor attached to a lot of scenes/spells. Also, 13 levels (story chapters) might seem like a low number, but they are quite satisfying. Keep inAfter a dozen patches, this game feels like a full-fledged product. The innovative magic-mechanic may not give you "thousands of combinations" bit it gives quite a few to play around with. The gameplay wouldn't be as rewarding if it weren't for the humor attached to a lot of scenes/spells. Also, 13 levels (story chapters) might seem like a low number, but they are quite satisfying. Keep in mind that its a 10$ (or less) game. You wont regret buying it. It has more content than you pay for. Expand
  14. Mar 1, 2011
    Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on a game. Despite the early bugs, it was worth every penny. And the announcement of the expansion has me excited!
  15. Mar 14, 2011
    If you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm doneIf you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm done there. The one complaint I can think of for this game is that magic combinations are in no way balanced. A QFQFAAS spell will do infinitely more damage than a rock spell. A rock spell also takes ~5 seconds to charge to full strength, while a beam spell will instantly deal greater damage than a rock spell. To make matters worse, a beam spell continually increases damage output the longer you leave a beam on an enemy. At the end of the day, two fully charged rock spells deal like 1/100 of the damage of a ten second long beam of energy. And that isn't even factoring in the potential for beams to be merged; that's just a single persons beam. Even with this grievous lack of game balance, this game will definitely give you many hours of playtime for a low cost. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2011
    Incredible. If only AAA studios put as much work into considering game design. It's the most fresh thing I've played since minecraft.

It takes a while to get used to the control system. And the multi-player experience is... different because of the minor issue that death really causes during the multi-player. But everyone should play it anyways. There is no one that has taken my advice on buying it who has regretted it in my personal life.
  17. Mar 16, 2011
    This game is awesome, I love it! best indie game of the year, by a mile. I see alot of people complain about technical problems with the game, but i haven't had any issues, game play has been flawless on my end. This is Arrowhead Studios first game and they did a wonderful job, can't wait to see what they bring us next! Magicka is only 10$ and is a phenomenal value for the amount of gameThis game is awesome, I love it! best indie game of the year, by a mile. I see alot of people complain about technical problems with the game, but i haven't had any issues, game play has been flawless on my end. This is Arrowhead Studios first game and they did a wonderful job, can't wait to see what they bring us next! Magicka is only 10$ and is a phenomenal value for the amount of game play that's packed into it. Almost forgot to mention that the game is very fun and enjoyable. Expand
  18. Mar 18, 2011
    It's a very good game so far.. though I hope I can play multiplayer when buying the 10 euro version. though perhaps the 4 player version is just for 4 players and u can play 3 player before that..

Speaking of the humor and for a swede (or possibly a norweigan) it's funny as they use a fake swedish language mixed with english like the swedish chef sounds but with reals swedes actually making it so you can make out that the mumbo jumbo actually means something else in Swedish.. it's great I love it..
  19. Mar 25, 2011
    Magicka is a game where you can play by yourself or with up to 4 players. You can use the traditional keyboard or gamepads. You can play 2 on the same computer and with your friends over the internet.
    What I like the most about this game is that you need to use your head and this game is hard. You will get used to die, a lot. But everyone also have a revive spell that you can use at all times. The spell casting system is new and innovative since you don't have any mana like almost all other games where you wield spells. You also got 8 elements and you can combine up to 5 elements at once. Almost every spell have it's own effect and will change the dynamic of the spells you cast. The only problem with this game was at the start of launch where you had a lot of crashes and bugs. But most of the problems are fixed since the game has had several updates since release. I have had a great time playing this game and it is well worth 10 euros. Playing this game solo is a little bit more difficult but you can do it if you use your head. I still don't understand how some people review this game as a bad game because it is hard. Personally I love that Magicka is a very unforgiving game where the game doesn't hold your freaking hand all the time like in Call of Duty and other games. Magicka doesn't follow the so called defaults that you have in other games, for example you can use all elements at the start but you can find spell books scattered around the world of Magicka, you can also pick up cool weapons and staffs that are either hidden or from fallen enemies. You can remap all the keys in the game but you have to be in the main menu which is a little bad I know. But still Magicka is well worth the money and the spell system is a great and the only thing that stops you is the imagination. I give this game a 10 because the people who made this game took a bit of a risk and did something that is new and innovative with a lot of fun video game humour and references inside that made you laugh like a little girl and it brought back some sweet memories.
  20. Mar 29, 2011
    OMG Magicka is teh best gayme evar. Thiz gayme is asome, u and 3 frendz can play at ons and that macs it so mutch moar fun!! U can blo eatch oter up wit fiarbawlz & stuphph. Eye reelie liek the fakt that eye can mac mi frendz h8 me avary fiv sekundz bi macin lan-minds uf fiar thean pooshin dem on too dem. Magicka iz teh bestist game uf all tiem & if u dun bi it u r mizzin ut on a gret game :D
  21. Apr 7, 2011
    This game is simply great for 10 bucks!

Pros: You can get a few remotes (I use 360s) and sit down like a console game with friends Great spells and gameplay I havnt enjoyed a game like (sorta like a hack and slash, but with spells :P) this since maybe Diablo in the 90s Funny story CONS: I admit there were a few bugs here and there, like freezing and drops online, ie get to a boss level
    This game is simply great for 10 bucks!

Pros:
    Great spells and gameplay
    Funny story

CONS:
    I admit there were a few bugs here and there, like freezing and drops online, ie get to a boss level and the other guys drop when you all die to redo the part from save point
    Patches are fixing some of the earlier problems

Overall for 10 bucks Im giving this a 10, I gave the same to Amnesia:The Dark Descent (but dont play that alone)
  22. Mar 15, 2013
    A great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enoughA great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enough Steam sale Expand
  23. May 10, 2011
    I think this game is very under rated. I don't know anyone who does not play this game, also it costs £8 when a CoD map pack costs £11 so it is great for price.
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    Should you buy it?
    Definitely, yes. If you're looking for a good game and yet don't want to pay a lot of money, go for Magicka. Even if you're still unsure about the bugs people mention all the time, wait a a month and get it later on - it will improve even further.
    I haven't had that much fun with a game in months, and especially not THIS type of fun. Go, try the demo, buy the game,
    Should you buy it?

Go, try the demo, buy the game, support great devoted developers and laugh yourself into oblivion!

Full Review: http://darkchaplain-anotherstory.blogspot.com/2011/02/magicka-review.html
  25. May 30, 2011
    Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements"Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements" which all can create different unique spells by certain combinations add to the fun. Expand
  26. Jun 7, 2011
    This game is so much fun killing your friends and healing your enemy as you laugh behind your screen and take their loot, the jokes and references are so funny if you don't live under a rock you should get even more laughs then the game offers. Awesome graphics style, and great story line. The game is broken some people/critics might say? One it was by an indie game which if im right theyThis game is so much fun killing your friends and healing your enemy as you laugh behind your screen and take their loot, the jokes and references are so funny if you don't live under a rock you should get even more laughs then the game offers. Awesome graphics style, and great story line. The game is broken some people/critics might say? One it was by an indie game which if im right they haven't made a game before! Two I laughed so much it wouldn't matter how many problems I had with the game. Its a must buy! Great job to the developers! KHAAAAAAAAN! Expand
  27. Dec 30, 2011
    Phenomenal mechanics and more than a thousand combinations of spells. The only game with magic that I liked SO much. But game fully reveals its potential only in co-op. In the company of three friends enemies' genocide becomes maximum chaotic. And don't look on bugs, they are not so critical, many of them may be avoided. Developers works hard and release updates every week.
  28. Aug 7, 2011
    This game is awesome and way fun. It is a little buggy at times but if you have a great computer with a great processor and video card it prevents a lot of problems. Gameplay is a top down. The coolest thing about the game is mixing spell types to create powerful combinations to devastate enemies... or yourself and friends if you happen to hit friendlies. The game has a helpfulThis game is awesome and way fun. It is a little buggy at times but if you have a great computer with a great processor and video card it prevents a lot of problems. Gameplay is a top down. The coolest thing about the game is mixing spell types to create powerful combinations to devastate enemies... or yourself and friends if you happen to hit friendlies. The game has a helpful tutorial in the beginning that leaves you learning more and more spells throughout the entire game. It is also incredibly funny with lots of references to Star Wars in the text of dialogue. I believe my first hard laugh came when playing the tutorial and my friend who had chosen a strange army character (not very wizardly at all) accidently tossed a grenade at my feet and killed me. I thought I was out forever until we learned a revive spell to bring me back. This game should be played co-op for the most fun as long as you cooperate with team members otherwise it could get frustrating. So, if you've got an awesome computer and ten bucks I'd recommend this game for some exciting and funny entertainment. Expand
  29. Sep 16, 2011
    Mofoso 10 Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with my. this game is mint
  30. Oct 5, 2011
    Crazy fun-filled spectaular game has me mesmerised from start to finish. I dont think I've ever panicked so much whilst playing a game, nor had as much fun. And the opportunities for friendly fire in co-op are pretty much unbeatable I reckon. Love it. And it's cheap as chips! Great value for money.

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.