7.9

1. Oct 15, 2014
    Best stealth game i played ever. Great mechanics, good pacing and beautiful. If you ask me, this is a must play game in your life to do list. Highly recommend.
  2. Sep 30, 2014
    This game has no flaws. Great art, good story, excellent game-play and interesting until the end. If i had to say one thing that i do not like about this game, it would be that it is too short.
  3. Sep 5, 2014
    Ninja and Stealth is a really good combination, especially in 2D! You don't have to be a professional game reviewer to say that this is one of the best stealth games these days. Mark of the Ninja has everything to become perfection: unique, awesome graphic styles, catchy music, clever levels design, and true gameplay of ones who prefer working in the dark. But yet, some puzzle seems too difficult, and the control system maybe a little clunky. Expand
  4. Aug 8, 2014
    Mark of the ninja is not mainstream game, this game unique gameplay. You must patience and use your brain to play it. The has many feature like you can change costume, abilities, and weapon.
  5. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of the time you must combine reflex and intelligent to solve puzzles.

Just buy it if you like games like this. You don't have to wait 'til sales, it already worths its standart price.
  6. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is NOT a 2D Metal Gear Solid. MGS had a depth of story and style as well as tight controls and action that could be played as a NON-stealth game. This game does not have that. It forcefully holds gamers hands and makes them plod through set pieces without much thought for imagery or imagination. Multiple branching pathways or engrossing storyline will not be found here.
  7. Feb 10, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014 Pros: + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller) + Rewards the player waiting long enough to tell what is happening before acting Cons: - PC version needs additional software support (official controller drivers: Xbox) to be playable - Not too much variety in the way guards behave (though methods of detection vary) In my mind, this is a game which is not afraid to heavily emphasize stealth. While you can kill some (or all) guards, you must then hide bodies to avoid raising an alarm. Having observed others playing stealth games (and having played a few myself) I can say that if you lack the patience to watch for patterns or alternative pathways, you might not like this game (unless you like dying a lot). Discovery does not end the game (though it will hurt your score), but you must then fight hand-to-hand with the guard who has seen you. Combat is clunky (and doesn’t use the sword you’re already carrying for some reason), but this doesn’t matter too much because the whole point of the game is to sneak-n’-stab your way to victory, not fight everyone you see. If you don’t like the default play style, the game gives some nominal customization to accommodate you (i.e. whether you prefer distraction or killing items) via new skins which change what/how much you can carry and feature a new power; however these usually have such significant drawbacks that you’ll prefer the balanced initial costume.
    To me this game isn’t a platformer or even an action game, it is a fusion of stealth and puzzle. The puzzles in this case are to find the easiest (nearly always circuitous) path to the objectives seemed straightforward to me, but based on what I’ve seen some may be hard to find or frustrating to players who don’t like to wait for a guard to leave or look around for a better way to an objective. Aside from the fact that this game might not be your cup of tea, I need to address a specific gripe: on the PC version the generic drivers for a USB controller WILL NOT be adequate to play using an Xbox controller-you must update/download the Microsoft drivers to play (I recommend using a controller, even if it isn’t specifically an Xbox one, though I couldn’t vouch for its compatibility based on this experience). Why couldn’t the developers allow generic drivers when many other games do so? In spite of this complaint, once 1st party drivers are installed there can be no complaints about responsiveness-your character is easy to control and never slips off a ledge or accidentally does something you did not intend.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    This is an excellent game that will reward you with satisfying gameplay if you are willing to look around the stages and be patient enough to learn guard routines.
  8. Feb 8, 2014
    this game is awesome great playing style it needs a lot of speed and thinking at the same time it gonna make you REALLY feel like a ninja believe me its simply made for making you feel like a ninja .
  9. Jan 19, 2014
    I am relieved to say that we finally have a good game from Klei Entertainment. Their previous iterations of Shank and its sequel were disappointing to say the least. Thankfully, Mark of the Ninja is a great game. It's a 2D stealth game where you go around hiding bodies, sneaking through levels, setting traps, and solving puzzles. The art style is the same as all of Klei's games and that's fine. The gameplay itself is good and never seems to get repetitive. The game is a decent length for an indie game, clocking in at 6-7 hours for a single playthrough. There are hidden collectibles, challenges, and a scoring system as well as a New Game+ mode to add to the value. The cons are the story, which strives to be something great, and judging by the ending, they thought they had something great, but in reality I really wasn't interested at all in the story. There was nothing about it that drew me in and in the end, you are faced with a decision that you must make, but i was so confused by what was going on, the gravity of that choice didn't have any meaning to me. On top of that, as with all Klei games, the controls are terrible. I played with a gamepad and the controls annoyed me, i can only imagine how awful they are with K&M. There are way too many keys that are used for multiple functions. For instance, you press the "B" key on my 360 gamepad to pick up/drop a body and to interact with cover and other items in the world. So, if you have a body in front of cover or an item to interact with, you have to pick up and move the body and then go back to use the item or cover. There were quite a few times this poor control scheme cost me a life. All in all, the game just isn't fun enough for me to say it is one of the best games I have played. It is a very good one, and definitely the highlight of Klei. If you enjoy 2D games or stealth games, you should definitely check this out. Expand
  10. Jan 15, 2014
    Solid platform action with excellently executed stealth elements. The story is told through the masterful art direction at every level. A breath of fresh air in an era of video game decadence.

Controls are intuitive. A smart level design and good hit detection make for an enjoyable ride. The in-game achievements and level system keep level progression interesting.

Highly recommended.
  11. Jan 8, 2014
    This game didn't speak to me. I love Shank, and the second was OK. Thought I'd give this a try.... think a Shank-ish looking game with stealth sounds amazing. The idea, preview movies, and reviews shouted a masterpiece... but it's mundane and boring stealth game. If the levels were designed in a way to really utilize the need for being stealthy, then perhaps it might work; but, the levels design lacked interested scenarios begging for stealthy tactics. The way the character felt when maneuvering didn't feel satisfying like Shank did. The bad guys were very easy to kill... out of boredom you might try to rush a kill to get some fun. The build-up of hiding and getting spotted is lacking (maybe because it's a 2D game). Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2014
    Mark of the Ninja revives the stealth genre in a way like no other. Even if you're not a big fan of sidescrollers I still recommend picking this game up. The art style is drop dead gorgeous, and it's a game you can really get lost in. It reminds me of if you took Batman: Arkham Asylum, turned Batman into a badass ninja, and stuck him into a 2D world.

Pros:
    Beautiful Graphics For a 2D
    game
    Kick-Ass Animations
    Best Stealth Game I've Played Forever
    Great Price

Cons:
    Needs a more Engaging Storyline
    Probabbly would work a lot better with a controller than they keyboard and mouse set up.
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    Thank God I bought this during a Steam sale; I'm so mad at myself for wasting money on this game I want to punch myself in the balls. While this game is fantastic in concept (think about a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid), and the stealth aspect well-executed, the game is utterly ruined by its terrible combat controls.

There are two main objectives in this game: sneaking and killing. In
    a game where half the point is to kill people, there is no point in having melee combat if it doesn't help achieve this goal. Worse still, you cannot switch between melee and weapons combat. Hell, when it gives you the option to kill, it makes you swipe your mouse in an arbitrary direction in order to maintain stealth while you do so. WHY? WHAT'S THE POINT? Why did not not occur to the devs that ninjas are able to kill with their bare hands?

I would have given this game a 1, but it's so bad I'm never playing it again, and I've only played it for thirty minutes.
  14. Dec 6, 2013
    Wow This is an amazing game... One of the best games I've ever played in my life.... Never expected indie games to be so good and this one...is just fabulous. It shows what a Ninja is truly capable of. If you are even not a fan of platformers this one is a must-play...
  15. Nov 23, 2013
    Feels like you're playing a 2D version of Splinter Cell. This game is really good for a 2D game, the stealth mechanics are great, especially the traps.
  16. Nov 16, 2013
    This was an excellent story and it was just the right length. The game play was excellent, this is a 2D game that scrolls as you move and it worked very well. No timed mission, which rush you. Stealth is the key, you can go pacifist or assassin. The upgrades are useful and interesting to unlock as you go and contribute to your style pacifist with distractions or assassinate with weapons & traps. I played Shank 2 (made by Klei as well) all of about 30 mins before giving up on it, so I was skeptical, but this game was so much better. I have to admit that I like stealth games, so I'm biased. Run and gunners may not like it as much. The visuals in the game and cut scenes were a perfect style for the game. This isn't a triple A title, but it is what I expect from an Indie. Excellent value at a reasonable price. Well done Klei. Expand
  17. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. This is the game that should judge all stealth games. If wants to be a stealth game it has to be as good as this. It gives you multiple choices on how to handle, you can go in and not even be seen and not kill anyone. The ending is brilliant and it took me 4 minutes to make my final choice. Collapse
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    a must-have title. best 2d sidescroller- stealth-game ever. it makes so much fun to make high scores. sadly, that the leader-boards are full with cheater. have fun
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    Before the chit-chat, let me say something upfront: Mark of the Ninja is an exceptional stealth-action game, that will change your way of thinking about Indie titles if you had ambiguous feelings before. It isn't simply a great game, but also has character, story, depth and uniqueness.

Our hero is an unnamed ninja of the Hisomu clan. Just after getting tattooed with an ink from a
    special flower that will make him have extraordinary power his clan is attacked by soldiers and his mentor is taken hostage. After freeing him, the journey begins. Yes, it's revenge time. It's not the most well cooked stories out there and the ending lacks a real punch, but from an indie title of this kind it's very ambitious. After sending our hero on his mission it is explained to him that the ink under his skin not only will make him stronger but after some time it'll drive him mad. Before that could happen he sworn to commit suicide. But, the mission first.

As we progress through the levels our hero will learn (we unlock) new abilities that help us deal with enemy soldiers. With the increasing number of light sources, lasers, detectors and enemies the game gets more and more challenging, but never too difficult to frustrate the player. With common sense and orientation you can always find the right path to clear the room or pass by the enemies undetected.

And exactly this is the biggest fun source of the game. There isn't a definite way to finish a level or even to solve a room. You have a wast array of items you can choose from and you can use any environmental object to be successful. You rarely HAVE to kill a guard to reach the next room, there's always a second option.

The game tracks your progress all the time. Finishing a level without being detected or doing all the side tasks in a level will earn you more points to spend on special abilities and more effective distraction/attack items.

When you feel the game is beginning to get somewhat repetitive it always throws you something new to play with, to make the fun lasting. You can even change your outfit after some time. And this isn't a pointless dress change you see in many games. With the new suit you get new abilities, but you're reduced with other ones. It is really awesomely balanced, where everybody can find the clothes that fit the player's style.

With exceptional game design comes exceptional art design. The game isn't the most beautiful you've ever seen nor packs the most polygons, but it's art and it's unique. On the audio side the lighting strikes and dog sniffles are great. The OST consists of well composed pieces that support the ninja-feel and stealth nature of the game.

After finishing the game you can start again on New Game mode which is essentially a hard mode and it's really challenging where your viewing angles are reduced and the enemies are more aware.

Mark of the Ninja executes and delivers on every part you can imagine. It's a definitive standard for indie titles. If you like stealth games, play it. If you like 2D action games, play it. If you like platformers, play it. If you want to have fun, definitely play this piece! And, well...ninjas and stuff.

Rating: 89/100; Replay Value: 4/5; To Beat: 10-11 hours.
  20. Oct 5, 2013
    The best in its genre, also because I never saw any other 2D stealth game. I can't come up with any cons, you could really do whatever you want, and whatever strategy you want to adopt, the game gives you the chance.
    Every scenario is playable with any of the possible player configuration. It's a thing pretty rare, these days.
    A must have.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    At first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off by destroying the generator. There's also a couple of "puzzles" where you need to figure out how to place the things to pass the lasers.
    But after all it's still just a 2D indie game, that is not too long, and i'd rather play a game like Far Cry for example. To me this is a game you can play when you're a lil' bored or just wanna play a nice calm game, without too much brain needed.
  22. Sep 18, 2013
    Ridiculously over hyped. Once again, I got this in a Steam sale but I was hesitant to buy because I don't have a good game pad and prefer mouse/keyboard. I had a DEV tell me in the forums that this game is totally fine with mouse/keyboard; it's not. Controls are crap with mouse/keyboard. Good art style. I guess great if you're *really* in to stealth games it might be worth it but it's just a forgettable sidescroller for me and not a particularly good one. Expand
  23. Sep 16, 2013
    Average. Derivitive. Brought nothing new to the genre. Dinky flash game graphics. Holds your hand. Story is absolute hogwash, characters are stale and overused cliches. Combat is poor. Has some strong points but compared to anything that isn't a flash game 91/100 is over the top.
  24. Sep 16, 2013
    The best ninza game after shinobi.I cannot play it without screaming ninza battle cries.Hiyaaaa.Seriously this game is fantastic and it has a different style of play than most other games.It is fresh and unique and it stands alone at the top of ninza games.What are you doing?You still reading my review?Go buy the game fast and silently like a shadow in the night you fools.The enemy is approaching.
  25. Sep 9, 2013
    Side-scrolling games really don't get any better than this, and when they do, they sure as hell cost a lot more than this one does.

First, let's talk the story quick. I thought the animation was great, the story was decent (considering how short overall the game is), the voice acting was pretty good, and the level progression was nice.

I'm also a fan of games that allow you choices
    in playstyle. This a stealth game, sure, but you can approach the game one of two ways: KOs or kills. There are times when you're forced into one or the other, but overall, you can play it either way. And, the game isn't so crazy hard that you have to worry about which style garners you more points for upgrades or anything like that. Plus, for those that maybe like to add morality into their gaming, you don't have to worry about slicing everything up.

The controls were fairly intuitive, although at times it felts like the game was trying to do too much. Keep in mind that you can do a lot of different things relative to how basic (read: few) the controls are. This sometimes results in the game misinterpreting what you're trying to do. A lot of this has to do with timing (like hiding in a duct or something), but expect to miss a few thing input-wise because you and the game weren't on the same page.

Needless to say, you're a ninja, so you're pretty awesome, but I also really enjoyed the various upgrades that you can get. It really prevented the game from getting too stale as you moved on. Some games simply increase difficulty without giving you new stuff to play with, but this did both.

Ultimately, it's a really, really fun side-scroller and at the price, it's hard to beat.
  26. Aug 7, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is the next great product from Klei Entertainment. After good Shank's they provide another characteristic and awesome game. It's, without any doubt, one of the best game of 2012.
  27. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game, where in order to experience the awesomeness of the game, you have to play it Expand
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is amazing, the gameplay is perfectly done and I love the ending. Although some people may be disappointed by the choices, I felt the game would have had less impact on me if it had ended any other way.
  29. Jul 24, 2013
    Mark Of The Ninja is a great indie stealth platformer. I played it with xbox 360 controller and it works very good. The enemies have mostly a good KI and the gameplay is cool.
  30. Jul 22, 2013
    Fantastically designed and animated. The implementation of the stealth mechanism is sublime, and there's nothing more satisfying than terrorising an opponent to make them run into their own trap.

I found the game addictive with great replay value. More than once I caught myself thinking "Damn, if I'd done that differently, I wouldn't have wasted that item". It forces you to think
    tactically which is almost unheard of with other stealth games.

About my only complaint is that while the controls are largely intuitive and simple, you have a tendency to grab onto things even when you didn't mean to (eg when trying to climb down off a box in a narrow shaft you often end up clinging either to the wall or the side of the box).

The ending was suitably ambiguous that it really made me stop and think before proceeding.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable (so much so, I bought it for friends in the Steam sale) and I can't wait to replay it with everything I've learnt form the first play through.
  31. Oct 30, 2013

A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.