7.9

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is a good stealth game, with a great art style and a fresh take on the genre. But I still do not have any idea why people lavish the game with such high praise. While the game has an amazing art style, the game has flaws. The game-play is basically a stealth game in 2D. While I like the fact that you can hide bodies, set traps, upgrade your arsenal, and even terrorizeMark of the Ninja is a good stealth game, with a great art style and a fresh take on the genre. But I still do not have any idea why people lavish the game with such high praise. While the game has an amazing art style, the game has flaws. The game-play is basically a stealth game in 2D. While I like the fact that you can hide bodies, set traps, upgrade your arsenal, and even terrorize your enemies, the level design ranges from good to poor, usually on the bad end of the spectrum. The game constantly you through trial-and-error sections, with the end result of me learning nothing at all and feeling extremely frustrated. Also, the control can be a bit wonky, as sometimes, I'll end up grabbing a body when I meant to pick a lock. And the game loses its appeal once you go through 60% of the game, as you will be frustrated with the fact its basically the same thing over and over but with added traps that are extremely cheap. Also, when you complete the game, you will feel robbed of your efforts. When Mark Of The Ninja does things right, you really will feel like a ninja. However, the sections are few and far between. If you enjoyed Mark Of The Ninja, that's great, you made a good purchase. But for me, Mark Of The Ninja is a clear example of not living up to its potential. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2012
    Very fun and well made game. It's a 2D platformer, but it doesn't need to be anything else. Everything is done just right. If you liked the platform games of the 80s and early 90s on the old Atari systems etc, you will probably like it. If your a COD kid you will probably hate it because it doesn't have amazing graphics and a new release every 3 months.
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    It's very refreshing to see such a distinct game every now and then. In a market full of RTS and FPS games, a stealth one is very welcome. And I hadn't seen such a good one ever since Thief came out.

So I bought it and have been playing for the last few days. It's already in my favorites in Steam. The level design is gracious and the art is wonderful and eye catching. Also loved the gameplay. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because of the shallow, hollow story.
  4. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, I really never liked platform games. Being an older gamer, I am a K/M kinda guy. I was a big fan of the Thief series some years back. After so many great reviews, I finally downloaded this and I must say am really nicely impressed. All the stealth tools are there...and its a platform game! The checkpoint system is good. I think the devs at Klei have come up with a really goodFirst of all, I really never liked platform games. Being an older gamer, I am a K/M kinda guy. I was a big fan of the Thief series some years back. After so many great reviews, I finally downloaded this and I must say am really nicely impressed. All the stealth tools are there...and its a platform game! The checkpoint system is good. I think the devs at Klei have come up with a really good solid game in a time when they are few and far between. Is it perfect? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes it really is! Once I was through my "platform" block, this little gem came shining through. The price is awesome and this one really rocks!! Expand
  5. Dec 1, 2012
    Here is a great stealth game that places a bar on all other stealth games in the future. The game sports a 2D platform type of gameplay with a focus on stealth and tactical maneuvering rather than a full action combat. The game has fluid animation, beautifully created atmosphere, challenging (yet not frustrating) puzzles and encouragement of user creativity during missions, but of courseHere is a great stealth game that places a bar on all other stealth games in the future. The game sports a 2D platform type of gameplay with a focus on stealth and tactical maneuvering rather than a full action combat. The game has fluid animation, beautifully created atmosphere, challenging (yet not frustrating) puzzles and encouragement of user creativity during missions, but of course like with all things, it has it's flaws. It's 2D perspective sometimes make item interactivity a bit annoying (trying to interact with object A ends you up interacting with object B). Still, this is just a minor inconvenience and the overwhelming amounts of innovation in gameplay could more than make up for it. This is a game well suited for anyone who likes gaming for their gameplay and mechanics over superior graphics. Mark of the Ninja is a simple and easy to learn game yet stands above some of the more popular games this past few years. Expand
  6. Jan 15, 2014
    Solid platform action with excellently executed stealth elements. The story is told through the masterful art direction at every level. A breath of fresh air in an era of video game decadence.

Controls are intuitive. A smart level design and good hit detection make for an enjoyable ride. The in-game achievements and level system keep level progression interesting.

Highly recommended.
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is an incredible contribution to the stealth genre. Its controls are tight, its art style is amazing, Its system on how it rewards different play styles is well done, and the story can actually be good at times. If it wasn't for the lackluster ending, I would've probably gave Mark of the Ninja 10/10, but aside from that, this game is definitely a must buy for anyone who enjoysThis game is an incredible contribution to the stealth genre. Its controls are tight, its art style is amazing, Its system on how it rewards different play styles is well done, and the story can actually be good at times. If it wasn't for the lackluster ending, I would've probably gave Mark of the Ninja 10/10, but aside from that, this game is definitely a must buy for anyone who enjoys the stealth or action genre. Expand
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely amazing game. It was hard to stop once I'd start playing, wasting hours of my day. Very frustrating sometimes, but it never really feels like it's impossible. Chose the "dishonorable" death at the end- the girl might be a lie, but not the tattooist. Expand
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    Fantastically designed and animated. The implementation of the stealth mechanism is sublime, and there's nothing more satisfying than terrorising an opponent to make them run into their own trap.

I found the game addictive with great replay value. More than once I caught myself thinking "Damn, if I'd done that differently, I wouldn't have wasted that item". It forces you to think tactically which is almost unheard of with other stealth games.

About my only complaint is that while the controls are largely intuitive and simple, you have a tendency to grab onto things even when you didn't mean to (eg when trying to climb down off a box in a narrow shaft you often end up clinging either to the wall or the side of the box).

The ending was suitably ambiguous that it really made me stop and think before proceeding.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable (so much so, I bought it for friends in the Steam sale) and I can't wait to replay it with everything I've learnt form the first play through.
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is amazing, the gameplay is perfectly done and I love the ending. Although some people may be disappointed by the choices, I felt the game would have had less impact on me if it had ended any other way.
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    This was an excellent story and it was just the right length. The game play was excellent, this is a 2D game that scrolls as you move and it worked very well. No timed mission, which rush you. Stealth is the key, you can go pacifist or assassin. The upgrades are useful and interesting to unlock as you go and contribute to your style pacifist with distractions or assassinate withThis was an excellent story and it was just the right length. The game play was excellent, this is a 2D game that scrolls as you move and it worked very well. No timed mission, which rush you. Stealth is the key, you can go pacifist or assassin. The upgrades are useful and interesting to unlock as you go and contribute to your style pacifist with distractions or assassinate with weapons & traps. I played Shank 2 (made by Klei as well) all of about 30 mins before giving up on it, so I was skeptical, but this game was so much better. I have to admit that I like stealth games, so I'm biased. Run and gunners may not like it as much. The visuals in the game and cut scenes were a perfect style for the game. This isn't a triple A title, but it is what I expect from an Indie. Excellent value at a reasonable price. Well done Klei. Expand
  12. Jul 19, 2013
    The controls and feedback this game provides are what pushes it above the rest. The movement of the player character feels free and easy, yet the mechanics provide a feeling of precision and control that lesser platformers lack. Imagine if someone decided to make a 2D stealth-action game and they combined all of the best elements of Dishonored and Super Meat Boy. This is it. Buy thisThe controls and feedback this game provides are what pushes it above the rest. The movement of the player character feels free and easy, yet the mechanics provide a feeling of precision and control that lesser platformers lack. Imagine if someone decided to make a 2D stealth-action game and they combined all of the best elements of Dishonored and Super Meat Boy. This is it. Buy this game! It's one of the best two dimensional games I've played in many years. Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2013
    I bought this game because it was on sale for Steam and was about stealth. 12 hours later, I am still trying to finish the achievements and looking for new ways to kill those guards. The game is somewhat linear but there are a couple options on how to take down guards and/or sneak past them. If you want a real challenge, try to sneak by the level without killing a guard or being seen. ThisI bought this game because it was on sale for Steam and was about stealth. 12 hours later, I am still trying to finish the achievements and looking for new ways to kill those guards. The game is somewhat linear but there are a couple options on how to take down guards and/or sneak past them. If you want a real challenge, try to sneak by the level without killing a guard or being seen. This game has a lot of replay for me. Expand
  14. Jul 24, 2013
    Mark Of The Ninja is a great indie stealth platformer. I played it with xbox 360 controller and it works very good. The enemies have mostly a good KI and the gameplay is cool.
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    The best in its genre, also because I never saw any other 2D stealth game. I can't come up with any cons, you could really do whatever you want, and whatever strategy you want to adopt, the game gives you the chance.
    Every scenario is playable with any of the possible player configuration. It's a thing pretty rare, these days.
    A must have.
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    this is the best arcade game i've ever played so far it has amazing soundtrack amazing art style and although it is a 2D game it has one of the best stealth game play ever with a bit RPG elements this game is not like SHANK going out there and hit the button to kill enemies no it makes you think how to kill them silently and make your way as you advance you get more items and morethis is the best arcade game i've ever played so far it has amazing soundtrack amazing art style and although it is a 2D game it has one of the best stealth game play ever with a bit RPG elements this game is not like SHANK going out there and hit the button to kill enemies no it makes you think how to kill them silently and make your way as you advance you get more items and more powers that will make the game more fun and the story is so good in this game it even has 2 endings when you finish the game you'll immediately play the new plus game it is so good and so fun highly recommend it Expand
  17. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game,I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game, where in order to experience the awesomeness of the game, you have to play it Expand
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    Feels like you're playing a 2D version of Splinter Cell. This game is really good for a 2D game, the stealth mechanics are great, especially the traps.
  19. Sep 16, 2013
    The best ninza game after shinobi.I cannot play it without screaming ninza battle cries.Hiyaaaa.Seriously this game is fantastic and it has a different style of play than most other games.It is fresh and unique and it stands alone at the top of ninza games.What are you doing?You still reading my review?Go buy the game fast and silently like a shadow in the night you fools.The enemy is approaching.
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    a must-have title. best 2d sidescroller- stealth-game ever. it makes so much fun to make high scores. sadly, that the leader-boards are full with cheater. have fun
  21. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the game that should judge all stealth games. If wants to be a stealth game it has to be as good as this. It gives you multiple choices on how to handle, you can go in and not even be seen and not kill anyone. The ending is brilliant and it took me 4 minutes to make my final choice. Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2013
    Wow This is an amazing game... One of the best games I've ever played in my life.... Never expected indie games to be so good and this one...is just fabulous. It shows what a Ninja is truly capable of. If you are even not a fan of platformers this one is a must-play...
  23. Nov 8, 2014
    I could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give youI could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give you various options in approaching every situation. I was also pleased by how varied the levels are; one time you will be infiltrating a fortress, the next time you'll be escaping poison-filled catacombs, and another time you will be setting a building on fire. I also found the game to be quite challenging and as of writing this review have yet to earn all the achievements...and complete a harder New Game+.
    The art direction is fantastic, harkening me back to the style of Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Samurai Jack. Plus, the visual cues regarding sound and light is nothing short of genius.
    The story is surprisingly intriguing and the end led to much reflection of my playthrough as a ninja. The characters are good with well-executed voice-acting. Overall, very well-written.
    With all this being said, this is a ninja game. What more could you want?
  24. Oct 15, 2014
    Best stealth game i played ever. Great mechanics, good pacing and beautiful. If you ask me, this is a must play game in your life to do list. Highly recommend.
  25. Jan 2, 2013
    An unexpectedly good game. I'm not a big fan of the Shank games, but this one is very addictive with tons of replayability.
    The first playthrough was fun, story kept me interested until the end (which was kind of mind blowing). However, the real fun stared after unlocking additional costumes and features, which enabled me to play the game again in a completely different way. You can play as a merciless assassin, a true unseen ninja or a trickster that likes to mess with enemy's mind.
    The controls need a while to get used to. It might happen to you that you will fall off a ledge, even though you only wanted to take a peek. Once you get used to the controls, you will be able to maneuver quickly and do fancy ninja techniques without any problems.
    The overall gameplay experience is absolutely amazing also thanks to the clean graphics. You always know what is happening around you and what you can do about it.
    The game is available on Steam, so you can wait for a discount to grab it, but it's definitely worth it, if you're into stealthy action games.
  26. Dec 24, 2012
    One of the best 2D stealth games I have ever played. Grabbed it for $10 during a Steam sale and I'm loving. The art style is amazing, the gameplay is fluid and the ending... Well, just play it for yourself to see.
  27. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is amazing. The best ninja game I've ever played! This game provides so much variety on how to play the game. From stabbing everyone in the back, to using traps and environments to kill, to even completely avoiding every enemy and remaining unseen. The puzzles/challenges are also brilliant. Solving them gives me the same feeling as solving a Portal puzzle, very satisfying. IThis game is amazing. The best ninja game I've ever played! This game provides so much variety on how to play the game. From stabbing everyone in the back, to using traps and environments to kill, to even completely avoiding every enemy and remaining unseen. The puzzles/challenges are also brilliant. Solving them gives me the same feeling as solving a Portal puzzle, very satisfying. I HIGHLY recommend this game. I had fun the entire time, and the ending was crazy! Don't wait until steam sales, get it NOW! Expand
  28. Dec 26, 2012
    A new take on the stealth genre, I believe that Mark of the Ninja does its job in showing that not all good stealth games need to be in 3D. It is interesting and fun play. Overall the game does do what a game should set out to do...mainly entertain. It has a nice story line that can get most anyone involved with the mission. The missions get longer and harder as one progress making oneA new take on the stealth genre, I believe that Mark of the Ninja does its job in showing that not all good stealth games need to be in 3D. It is interesting and fun play. Overall the game does do what a game should set out to do...mainly entertain. It has a nice story line that can get most anyone involved with the mission. The missions get longer and harder as one progress making one have to constantly view the surroundings in order to avoid almost instant death. The most interesting part is that you cannot go guns blazing ever because as it turns out your fists and kunai don't kill people, only your sword does. While the concept is there, Mark does fail in a few categories, namely the visibility and movement. I would prefer that the entire outer point of the screen not be all foggy, but this is quickly fixed by a check box in the settings. My real problem with the game is frankly the lack of color unless the room is lighted in which case your probably dead by getting shot and the movement because I doubt a ninja hasn't been trained to run silently, so for most of the game one is moving at a slow pace. Repetition is very obvious as the game progress so don't think that you can beat the game in one sitting, you'll probably get bored before you finish. Don't be chased away however because of these relatively small problems. The leaderboards for every level give a huge incentive to replay some of your best moments and the killing scenes are frankly done just right, but not too many variety to kill someone unless you start getting the power ups which start a bit too late for my taste. Great game to play, frankly one that should be taken time with not just sped through. Would recommend to those who have their tablets in which case its perfect and some core gamers looking for an indie game that steps outside lines and still delivers. Expand
  29. Nov 11, 2012
    This is one of the best stealth games I've played, probably the best 2D one. The visual style is perfect, gameplay is smooth and everything you do feels incredibly terrifying. Even though the controls are a bit confusing sometimes, it still deserves a spot in my top 10 games of this year.
  30. Nov 28, 2012
    Amazing game. Game of the Year for me. It totally reminded me of my old times platying Metal Gear Solid, trying to stay away from the guards and killing them when they weren't looking. If you enjoy stealth games, you'll have a lot of fun with this. It doesn't become repetitive at all and the art is beautiful to look at. And what's even better, it's only 15$!
  31. Oct 17, 2012
    I have no idea why this game didn't sell well on Xbox, this is hands down one of the best pure-stealth games, It's so perfect! The Art style is simply beautiful, And this game allows a lot of different approaches, which adds a huge amount of replay value, And for 15 bucks, It's a must have title! Klei made a smart move by putting ít's best game by far on steam, I really hope thisI have no idea why this game didn't sell well on Xbox, this is hands down one of the best pure-stealth games, It's so perfect! The Art style is simply beautiful, And this game allows a lot of different approaches, which adds a huge amount of replay value, And for 15 bucks, It's a must have title! Klei made a smart move by putting ít's best game by far on steam, I really hope this game sells well because it deserves it! Collapse

A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.