Marvel Heroes PC

6.7

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an average Action RPG. It follows in the footsteps Diablo, Path of Exile, and Torchlight. I would say the game has turned out to be average. It provides decent entertainment and it's free to play. If you're a fan of these style of games as well as a fan of Marvel, why not give it a try.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    Looking at the patch notes and seeing no cure for the arduous grind, lack of any update to visual effects or character animations that have been severely lacking for a long time, awful itemization, overly repetitive endgame and simplistic enemy design, greedy cash shop, awkward looking combat with very little visual recognition making many attacks lack any sense of impact. It pales inLooking at the patch notes and seeing no cure for the arduous grind, lack of any update to visual effects or character animations that have been severely lacking for a long time, awful itemization, overly repetitive endgame and simplistic enemy design, greedy cash shop, awkward looking combat with very little visual recognition making many attacks lack any sense of impact. It pales in comparison at launch to nearly every single ARPG on the market, even Diablo 3 is of a higher quality than this(a game which David Brevik hypocritically called out for being poor, while committing the exact same mistakes Blizzard did in his own new take on the ARPG genre).

I did spend 200$ for the Ultimate Pack, but am very disappointed with the little effort they've been putting in ever since they introduced the endgame patch. I know this game is going to receive low review scores, and ratings. I knew it would before it was even released. The only thing I care about is seeing whether that negative criticism will influence them to actually make some substantial changes.

In the beta, and even during the week long pre-release event a lot of people have been voicing some extremely relevant criticism that has not even been touched on by the developers, and that is extremely worrying to me. They have to be aware of all of these problems and are taking a wait and see approach to how the influx of people respond to their game. The things we all pointed out were sticking points that most of us knew would bring in negative press if they didn't attempt to fix them, but they chose to ignore or at least not openly acknowledge the concerns we raised.

I have to say, this game is a very interesting combination of Marvel 'Diablo'(ARPG) which I think most video game enthusiasts consider a match made in heaven. I did too, that was why I (wrongly) bought the Ultimate Pack. Having reached level 36 in this pre-release and losing almost every ounce of motivation to continue given the grind wall I had hit and the repetitive and unforgiving nature of solo play at later levels, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach to whether I am going to devote a significant amount of time to this game. I may play a little bit for the next few weeks, but I can't see it lasting.

Based on the choices they've made, if the metacritic score is terrible, nobody could say they didn't see it coming.
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    A game that had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined with a greedy cash shop. You can still have some fun with it, but not for too long with the overpriced heroes($20 for the popular ones), insanely expensive costumes, $6 storage tabs(for a grossly small storage space, with crafting items that purposely don't stack). They even sell hour long XP boosts and item rarity boosts to make sureA game that had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined with a greedy cash shop. You can still have some fun with it, but not for too long with the overpriced heroes($20 for the popular ones), insanely expensive costumes, $6 storage tabs(for a grossly small storage space, with crafting items that purposely don't stack). They even sell hour long XP boosts and item rarity boosts to make sure you have keep paying to keep up. Expand
  4. May 5, 2014
    It's a fun enough ARPG. It doesn't have a lot of content. You'll replay the entire game with each character about 3 times (3 difficulty levels, but the same levels) or do a lot some arena style grinding. _PROs_: It IS free to play. You can unlock other heroes and add sidekicks through in game rewards ('splinters'). Every month or so it seems like they have a free hero code they give out.It's a fun enough ARPG. It doesn't have a lot of content. You'll replay the entire game with each character about 3 times (3 difficulty levels, but the same levels) or do a lot some arena style grinding. _PROs_: It IS free to play. You can unlock other heroes and add sidekicks through in game rewards ('splinters'). Every month or so it seems like they have a free hero code they give out. The game looks nice, and plays well.

The CONS: 1)) You get 1 time splinter gifts to your account, but after that it is a GRIND to get more. An active player (dropping many foes) gets one about every 6-8 minutes. So it takes about 30 hours of gameplay for the 200 splinters to afford the lowest end heroes. More popular heroes cost 400 or 600. You can buy a random hero for 175, which most ppl do, but they are weighed to the low end heroes, and you can get useless duplicates. Really, really frustrating, but the alternative is too expensive.

CON 2)) Almost every hero plays the same. Hawkeye, Storm and Cyclops have strong punch attacks that ppl often use in their skill configs. Everyone has some kind of Charge / rush attack, melee, range attack, buff and DoT (damage over time). It just takes the fun out of playing a new hero, when Cyclops is beating up bad guys with his fists just like Hulk, Thing and Thor. The mobs have the same problem; armored robots, demons and common street punks are just as easy to drop.

Other cons - the dialog is 70's era cheesy, unlike the movies and comics of today. In large fights, it's hard to see past other player's graphic power effects or all the trash loot carpeting the play area. There are tons of collectibles in game that have no use, and there's limited space to put them - UNLESS you want to start spending money on quality of life enhancements to the game. Also, there is no ingame trading, which makes sense for Gazillion because then you wouldn't have to pay for items you could trade for.

So - if you play for a long time, you'll basically be grinding in the same game over and over, trying to get more interesting heroes, deciding whether is worth paying (like so many ppl do) $100's of dollars to unlock vanity stuff like a few costumes, and struggling with a bizarre, awkward crafting system and little storage space.

Game designers absolutely deserve to have a business model that encourages you to pay for stuff you want, and there's a LOT to pay for. And it's expensive. I'd advise you to try the game, but promise yourself not to spend anything until you are sure you want to keep playing for a long time, then maybe give yourself a reward if you still like the game.
  5. Jun 20, 2014
    I played this game continuously since start , got all heroes but few , well the game play IS fun ,that's what kept me playing ,but there is some issues : lot of bugs in game , all the time , every patch brings new bugs , bad optimization ,memory leaking ..they have not manage to fix this since start! (that's quite long time now) They always say "we are on it" but they never fix it !I played this game continuously since start , got all heroes but few , well the game play IS fun ,that's what kept me playing ,but there is some issues : lot of bugs in game , all the time , every patch brings new bugs , bad optimization ,memory leaking ..they have not manage to fix this since start! (that's quite long time now) They always say "we are on it" but they never fix it ! Another thing that i see now , since i took brake from the game (about a 3 weeks now) is that the game shop is incredibly greedy, they will make sure that you spend lot of money on this game , indeed i'm spending a lot less playing WoW than when was playing Marvel Heroes . Be warned ,the game can be fun ,but the free to play model is really a cover up, much more greedy business than LoL or WoW. Expand
  6. Jul 28, 2013
    A mediocre arpg filled with super heroes. Since I don't give a flying about super heroes, this is nothing but a mediocre action rpg. I'd rather play DarkSpore.
  7. Feb 25, 2016
    At first when I started playing this game I would of gave this game a 5, but lately it has improved a lot. The game feels like a fun ARPG with several characters to choose from. The story is ok, not the best, but not the worst. The cash shop seems expensive at times where a costume can cost about $15 but I guess people expect that from f2p games now a days.

Honestly if you're looking

Honestly if you're looking for a f2p Super Hero ARPG, Marvel Heroes does a good job at that. I think it would be a better game if it was a b2p game, but I guess its too late to do that.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    Having played the game now for a good couple of days and many hours I'm ready do review and it comes down to this:

Marvel Heroes could have been a very good game, if not for the choice of "free to play". While free to play games must offer huge revenues given the number of companies that have been jumping on its bandwagon, it is ruining the gaming industry. Marvel Heroes is another

While free to play games must offer huge revenues given the number of companies that have been jumping on its bandwagon, it is ruining the gaming industry. Marvel Heroes is another example of this in a long line of titles marred by petty options designed to try leech cash out of its players. Quick examples of this are:

*Only a choice of 5 characters to choose from at start, with characters to purchase ranging from $6-$20
    *New character drops currently being reported as rare as Zod runes were back in Diablo 2 days
    *Costumes for these characters costing as much, and in most cases more, than actual characters
    *Inventory space completely lacking, with payment required to open new tabs ($6 per tab)
    *Crafting items that DON'T stack in a clear ploy to promote inventory tab sales

Now any one of those points on its own ok, I could personally have let it slide on the basis they do have to make something. But all of them, for those prices, together? No.

The level of greed in the use of the free to play model here distinctively hurts game-play. It is a sad thing for me because the flow of the game, level design, quests, the feel reeks of Diablo 2. You'd expect this given some of its developers run Gazillion who are responsible for Marvel Heroes. D2 was a game I adored and played for nearly a decade before the release of Diablo 3. I'd put it to you that Marvel Heroes is still a better game than D3, although features negatives including:

*Disproportionate space use in level designs
    *High PC resource draw leading to lagging issues, especially in event boss fights
    *Even in 4 man parties and graphic options trimmed down, the screen is exploding with effects to the point of hazard/distraction
    *Occasional huge distances needing to be traveled between quests that can lead to a sense of being lost

There are good things to the game. It is a very pretty game. Each hero has a very unique and crafted experience that gives a lot of feel. Characters talk and wisecrack to other nearby heroes with character specific responses. Voice acting and cut scenes are clever in their simplicity and styling. The crafting system is simple and effective. There is no Auction House ruining the drive the driving force behind you playing; for the loots.

Yet, all of these good points for me only get this game half way, and its because the majority of those good points become a casualty in some degree to the free to play model.

All I could offer to you is that I did pay $20 for another character. I felt their time was worth of that investment at least and I have enjoyed my time so far with said purchase. Now I am left with a character I like progressing through the game, but being challenged by poor design choices to to spend more money. Ultimately, Gazillion have presented poor decisions based upon greed, with a title that offered the potential for greatness and a loyal fan base. What a shame.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is not finished. This is the disclaimer developers should put on their main page. It is largely based on loot, grinding the same areas to level up so you can wear the gear you found. Except that the itemization is not finished you won't find gear for your level. No item sets, no unique items, you will level up the same area from lvl 24~ to 50 for efficiency. It is going to beThis game is not finished. This is the disclaimer developers should put on their main page. It is largely based on loot, grinding the same areas to level up so you can wear the gear you found. Except that the itemization is not finished you won't find gear for your level. No item sets, no unique items, you will level up the same area from lvl 24~ to 50 for efficiency. It is going to be hard for players to enjoy the game if they're not attracted to the Marvel universe. Super heroes are not balanced. Communication between players and staff is close to non-existent. The suggestions are ignored and the game is not optimized.

End game content is mostly a rip-off from the story. The game has a lot of competitors and needs a lot of improvements to survive in this free to play world. Give the game a chance in a few months when they finally learn from their mistakes and correct the flaws, or play now if you're hooked by the loot system which I insist suffers from bad scaling.

I wish the developers good luck because there is a lot of hard work for this incomplete game which should still be in close beta.
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    After 350+ hours and 50 dollars spent I'm done. I have a higher end gaming system, play multiple MMOs and have over 200 games on Steam that not share the baffling performance issues that this game has even after "Major performance increases". I drop to 2-3 fps in busier zones constantly making the game unplayable. Their patches add more costumes for sale and heroes on top of a system thatAfter 350+ hours and 50 dollars spent I'm done. I have a higher end gaming system, play multiple MMOs and have over 200 games on Steam that not share the baffling performance issues that this game has even after "Major performance increases". I drop to 2-3 fps in busier zones constantly making the game unplayable. Their patches add more costumes for sale and heroes on top of a system that is completely broken due to the defense mechanic being completely inadequate for any character. Many classes have fundamental issues like low spirit, spirit consumption so their talent builds are forced to invest in them. Itemization is meant to fill holes in these same weaknesses which leaves you with a character that's already half decided for you yet gives you this illusion of "full customization". Spirit the main resource works against in this game because the regen mechanic simply punishes you for using it. You will inevitably run out and use weak and boring basic powers while it slowly refills or if you are lucky enough to play a class that has a strong basic attack you will just spend your spirit on micromanaging boring aspects and rarely spend spirit. Either way that's just a boring play style in a genre that has always prided itself on fast and frantic gameplay.

Leveling is completely boring because the game changes it's idea on how you are supposed to level every week. In the end it's always running the same map over and over, and not really in the same rewarding sense of doing "boss runs" in other games because the itemization is just flat boring. They added a higher tier of gear called "cosmics" but it's simply the same drab gear with 1 skills and a random effect that really only disjoints the character's aesthetics even further by summoning demons randomly or a random damage proc. These are cool, but it doesn't make sense when the game leaves me with a less than adequate way of developing my character for survival or functionality and just adds to this to an already random chance system of progression. The maps are just completely boring and do not have very many encounters and the bosses are generally cannon fodder with unnecessary health pools. In the larger zones there are many enemies and bosses spawning, but the chaos really serves no purpose other than walking around killing things. Even though there are other people around you, everyone is generally unorganized because the goals of the zones are not very clear other "do what you want". I suppose that's enough for an ARPG fan and I'd rather enjoy this, but it's impossible when you simply cannot keep a stable frame rate.

Recently I had to download a patch 3 times. 5 gigs per download because they issued a patch, rolled it back, then repatched it again and forced the client to download all of this. The game is only 12 gigs total, so I spent over 36 hours and 3 days simply downloading before I could even play the game in any shape or form. Not everyone has an amazing internet connection.

The forum community has now devolved into nothing but over-supportive people that trash complaints about all of these things at the mere mention of any type of negativity towards the game or it's developers, so issues that have persisted since the game has launched are still there.

The only saving grace for the game is they switched to a system where you can earn your characters simply by playing... this really doesn't give a free pass for the rest of the game being completely average. This is not the replacement for Diablo 2. This isn't even the replacement for Torchlight II. Path of Exile and even Diablo 3 offer better and less frustrating experiences despite their issues. The sad thing is this game has better ideas and a better foundation, but unfortunately the Marvel license and usage of it to create the games "classes" will only create bottlenecked classes that are glued to very specific ideas and they will also have to operate with the restrictive mechanics the gameplay design has placed on them. The result is just simply disappointing and I hoped for better, but I no longer have the patience to enjoy it and I will never recommend this over other ARPGS for it is barely average.
  11. Jun 23, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an awesome game, but It was really just a medicore game. Similar to diablo, the gameplay was really fun, but it grew repetitive and tedious fast. The graphics are not the best, but they're still pretty good. And the crafting seemed like a feature they could of left out. Marvel hereos is fun, but only for a couple of days.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Average. 7.

Sound: Some good voice acting some terrible, Average. 7. Gameplay: The gameplay is a grind fest to the MAX!!!! The whole world is just littered with enemies. Think of a map in Diablo 3 but every step you take there's 50 enemies on the screen. Playing through the story feels exhausting and like a chore. Although some of this games features are good.
    Graphics: Average. 7.

Sound: Some good voice acting some terrible, Average. 7.

Gameplay: The gameplay is a grind fest to the MAX!!!! The whole world is just littered with enemies. Think of a map in Diablo 3 but every step you take there's 50 enemies on the screen. Playing through the story feels exhausting and like a chore. Although some of this games features are good. First off, while you're questing it feels like an MMO which is a good thing because you see other players (something maybe Diablo 3 should consider) around the world. The talent tree is simple, easy, and you feel a difference in character progression. Characters each are unique, and while it can be fun, it quickly gets repetitive. 7.

Story: Decent, I played through the game quickly and didn't find the story too interesting. 6.

Replay Value: Free to play game, there's plenty to do, I can recommend giving this game a go, you shouldn't be disappointed if you're a Marvel fan. If you're a fan of playing game similar to Diablo I can still recommend it but you may quickly find the game to be boring. 7.5.

Overall Score: 6.9 out of 10.
  13. Jun 17, 2013
    As far as free-to-play MMOs go Marvel Heroes has the biggest potential. The gameplay is your standard brawler and has a focus on loot collecting. Admittedly this kind of gameplay has been done many times before ever since the Diablo series made it popular, but the fact that you get to play as your favorite Marvel super-heroes keeps it entertaining. The game can get really laggy at timesAs far as free-to-play MMOs go Marvel Heroes has the biggest potential. The gameplay is your standard brawler and has a focus on loot collecting. Admittedly this kind of gameplay has been done many times before ever since the Diablo series made it popular, but the fact that you get to play as your favorite Marvel super-heroes keeps it entertaining. The game can get really laggy at times which is sad because when things are running smoothly the character animations look fantastic. It's got a pretty lengthy campaign which mainly focuses on taking you to different locations set in the Marvel universe to fight super villains all while sporting a poorly written plot. The endgame content focuses more on daily challenges and the PVP arena. It feels sort of relaxing to reach the endgame and spend the rest of your time trying to max out your character. At any time you can play as a different super hero, which you can either pay real money for or hope to get in a loot drop, and start back from scratch. Admittedly the Marvel theme helps this game a lot. Without it this would just be another generic brawler. But the fact that it uses famous organizations, locations, and characters from the Marvel universe will keep any Marvel fan invested in it. It being free-to-play also cushions the blow. So if you're a fan of Marvel's proud history you owe it to yourself to check out this free-to-play gem. Just keep in mind it has got some light issues. Expand
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    The game on itself is not bad as long as you can tolerate the never-ending cycle of buffs and nerfs, it's not hard to see good heroes just becoming bad because when it comes to balancing the game, they do a poor job. Also the game is full of bugs and performance issues that sometimes take months to fix. Not to mention the several of maintenance/downtime because patches are released notThe game on itself is not bad as long as you can tolerate the never-ending cycle of buffs and nerfs, it's not hard to see good heroes just becoming bad because when it comes to balancing the game, they do a poor job. Also the game is full of bugs and performance issues that sometimes take months to fix. Not to mention the several of maintenance/downtime because patches are released not fully tested and buggy, it feels to me like they rush content so that they can put more costumes in the store to make money while neglecting coding/gameplay content.

The fortune cards from the cash shop are straight-forward cash grab, especially the ''exclusive costumes'', which can cost you as much as around $100, but it's only cosmetic so I guess it could be worse.

As for community, if you post any critical comment on their forum, you are going in for a hard time because the majority of people being critical of the game have been banned and censored, so you are left mainly with fanboys and white knights whose sole purpose is to jump on any form of criticism, throw insults and vile comments at you, which is tolerated by the CMs (if not supported) because that's how they want to keep the forum void of critics. The CMs are communicative but also extremely defensive/sensitive and as soon as they read something they don't like, even though it doesn't breach the ToS, they will delete it and will make sure to censor you in the future.

Overall the game is worth trying but if there's something in the direction of the game you don't like and post feedback in their forum, you are more likely to be bashed, censored or banned.
  15. Jun 9, 2013
    Quick answer, do I like the game? Hell no, boring, not enough characters I would play to choose from and repetitive game play with very little reward. Will I be keeping an eye on the game for heroins I want to play such as X-23, yes. I would play the crap out of this game if I had options like that. There is a list actually in the forums asking people who they want to see as a playableQuick answer, do I like the game? Hell no, boring, not enough characters I would play to choose from and repetitive game play with very little reward. Will I be keeping an eye on the game for heroins I want to play such as X-23, yes. I would play the crap out of this game if I had options like that. There is a list actually in the forums asking people who they want to see as a playable character in-game. People from all wakes of life and Marvel fandoms have given answers.

First off, I should state that this game does have developers from Diablo II. They have also stated that many of them also loved Diablo II when it was big. That being said, yes this game is more or less a Diablo II clone. I believe that fans of Diablo II would greatly enjoy this game because it has many elements of game play from D2. Though there is a “if and only if” clause to that statement.

You should enjoy online games, you would need to at the least enjoy comic book like story telling, and also understand the quality of a made to be, Free to Play online MMO (F2P). I was invited during the second tier closed beta, I believe and when I first started the game was just barely playable. Really laggy, client and server side, the frames per second were much too low to actually play comfortably. The User Interface was just ugly as fresh dog dooky, and controls were only friendly to me because I new the core game.

As a testament to gazillion games though, I want to point out that every single problem early beta had has been cleaned up, fixed, and polished for their summer release. Of course minor game bugs are still here and there but those can be cleaned up with time.

I think a lot of the numbers Marvel Heroes will see right after going live will be those that have been following the game because of either of those elements, gaming, and comics. I also think that if you haven’t play Super Hero Squad Online, that you should research a little about the game before you hate on Marvel Heroes in its current version.

The game play, if you have not ever played Diablo II, is your standard dungeon crawler with your character’s movements controlled by mouse clicks and your hand placed across “ASDF”. You use your Super Powers with “ASDF” and your basic attacks with left and right mouse. You can also hold down Shift to stand in one place while you get off a few ranged shots before the melee npc swarm you.

I should point out that this game is character driven. By that I mean, if you don’t like or at least tolerate one of the starting characters you’ll find the game to be rather boring.

I was comfortable with Scarlet Witch until I was able to use Ms. Marvel and see for myself the drastic game play difference. Scarlet is weak in melee and I got my butt kicked a lot, but with Ms. Marvel I was a wreaking ball. I spent most of my time with Ms. Marvel until we were given more G’s to spend in the store. G’s are this game’s real money transfer currency. Here is where my first issue with this game lays. If you don’t want to play any of the starting characters you have to either A) keep playing and experience everything new with someone you don’t like until a hero you do want is dropped as loot. B) You spend real money for in-game money and buy your favorite hero, or second favorite hero.

I’m well aware that I am a minority here when I say this but I really only like to play female heroes, super or otherwise. If I play this after it goes live I either have to spend money on a free game or play it half hearted until someone better drops. Here is this problem’s saving grace. Like I mentioned before, this game very closely resembles Super Hero Squad Online. They are also made by the same company, this gives me a higher outlook for this game that I would by just reading reviews about it. SHSO has a CRAP ton of possible heroes and heroins to play as, from Emma Frost to She-Hulk.

I should also point out that you can use the “armor” loot that drops from mobs but it won’t change your appearance at all. You have to wait for costume patterns to drop and then make them with ingredients that also drop, or just use some G’s and buy them in the store. Costumes are a little more than vanity items unless you craft them, then they have minor stats on them.

So, does all this mean that Marvel Heroes is going to make a boom when it hits the free MMO market? Not a chance, at least not in the way most people think it will right now. Luckily, this game isn’t going to be subscription based, otherwise it would surely flop. The income for this game will be solely from the G Store sales and possible deals they might run through out the year.

Does this game stand up against Diablo III, sure, if you love Super Heroes more than sand and medieval settings. Does this game stand up against DC Universe Online, totally, it is something new and fresh for the time being but it is only PC for now.
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    Story is great, and I love the comic book cut scenes they have. The game looks beautiful and the idea of playing you're favorite super hero is great. With all of that said, I disliked most everything else about it. The free to play model is very poor. It's a nickle and dime model and I know a lot of people are ok with that and that's fine, but I'm not. I don't mind free to play games (IStory is great, and I love the comic book cut scenes they have. The game looks beautiful and the idea of playing you're favorite super hero is great. With all of that said, I disliked most everything else about it. The free to play model is very poor. It's a nickle and dime model and I know a lot of people are ok with that and that's fine, but I'm not. I don't mind free to play games (I play several), but I want to spend money on things that are fun and because I WANT to spend it. I hate spending money on games because I HAVE to. For example bag space. Worst Idea ever to make people spend money on bag space and then not make a lot of stuff you pick up stackable. Another thing I disliked was the fact that, while I can play a hero, they are all pretty much the same. The spells look different in say, color or type of magic ability, but thats it. Casters all have the same AoE pretty much and Melee moves all look the same. So while I play the one I want, I hate that the other super hero's abilities look just like mine. The AI of mobs/trash is really bad. I would run into a group and the mobs would say something like "Hey theres one of those supers, lets get him" and then begin shooting in a direction that I'm not even in and their death animations were....sad to say the least. Now that a lot of negative is out of the way I will say that I like that they put daily type missions in the game and I like the mmo style of it. I hope they can get this game fixed and get rid of the horrid payment model they have and realize that they have a game that is good but the potential to be a great game is there they just have a few things holding it back. If they fix those things I would go back and play it hands down. Expand
  17. Jun 5, 2013
    Diablo-style gameplay with less strategic depth and added Marvel franchise. The experience is pleasant but not amazing. Probably the most frustrating aspects come from the monetization approach, with overpriced unlocks, some amount of nuisance unlocks (inventory space for example), and random exceptionally rare character drops during normal play. If you want to play a specific hero,Diablo-style gameplay with less strategic depth and added Marvel franchise. The experience is pleasant but not amazing. Probably the most frustrating aspects come from the monetization approach, with overpriced unlocks, some amount of nuisance unlocks (inventory space for example), and random exceptionally rare character drops during normal play. If you want to play a specific hero, you will absolutely have to pay for it (and pay a lot, one character can run up to 20$ for just that one), and it is possible to grind for days only to have the exact same character dropped twice in a row. This also means that any hope of playing as a 'collector' (getting one of each) is lost unless you just agree to pay for all of them, which once again ties back to the overpriced individual character unlocks.

End result all right base game, but hampered hard by greed.
  18. Jun 9, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a decent game, but the lack of hero customization options, narrow skill trees, and the low difficulty level was too much for me to ignore. I was hoping the game would get better with time and start to require skill, but I couldn't wait any longer. It's too bad, I was really excited to play this game.
  19. Jun 24, 2013
    While this game has the potential to be really fun it's current level of entertainment value wears thin quick with it's very limited customization. Gear does not change your appearance, and there are a limited collection of costumes for each character as well as very weak power trees. I'll admit that the game is fun at the start, I had a blast but it quickly wore off because of itsWhile this game has the potential to be really fun it's current level of entertainment value wears thin quick with it's very limited customization. Gear does not change your appearance, and there are a limited collection of costumes for each character as well as very weak power trees. I'll admit that the game is fun at the start, I had a blast but it quickly wore off because of its repetitiveness. The game needs more visual diversity (acquired gear should tweak your characters appearance), it needs more heroes, it needs to allow you to create a custom hero, and it needs Ghostrider. The real disappointment of this game though is it's fixed angle isometric 3d camera view. While it works fine for fantasy based games like Torchlight or Diablo you really lose the "heroic" feel of your hero because of the restraining camera. No custom heroes and the action RPG engine really killed this, it should be a true MMO like DC Heroes or Champions Online. This has potential to be a great game, but it will never, ever, feel like a true super hero game. Lessen the grind and give us more customization (both character development and visual appearance) and this will be a winner, but still won't feel like a superhero game. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2013
    I have been a long time supporter of this game since the Beta. I went with the Ultimate Pack to start with which cost me 160 euros in good faith that this game will become great. So far i've spent probably 600 euros on this game, and never really got my money's worth back, because the game has been a rollercoaster since release. I have had some fun times but majority of them have not beenI have been a long time supporter of this game since the Beta. I went with the Ultimate Pack to start with which cost me 160 euros in good faith that this game will become great. So far i've spent probably 600 euros on this game, and never really got my money's worth back, because the game has been a rollercoaster since release. I have had some fun times but majority of them have not been fun. Still, i've kept playing a lot, because i considered myself to be a "True Believer". Unfortunately, i am starting to feel that i have wasted my time by blindly putting my faith on the Developers.

Now, recently i got banned from the forums due to expressing my feelings about current hero tweaks that ruined my favorite class pretty much completely. I am not here to post angry feedback, but i am here to post the feedback that i have been wanting to post for a long time. I just wanted to see if things change in Patch 2.0 as promised, but they did not.

Marvel Heroes 2.0 was supposed to change everything and to be the pinnacle where the game starts to look great. We were promised great things, like fun interactive community events, new content and new hero along with a lot of tweaks and Revamps. Gazillion even went few miles further, and released a surprise first playable VIllain, Loki The god of Mischief. Everyone Rejoiced and loved the character, until today, when gazillion announced their upcoming changes that took everyone by surprise.

However, do not let the patch 2.0 fool you. What it actually means is just a stump of an expansion, that will continue to reveal itself through the next few months through weekly patches. It does not deserve the title 2.0. In fact, this game should still be in beta.

The game is far from being ready to be called Patch 2.0.

Here are a few examples why i think the game is unfinished:

A great carrot to chase was introduced in this patch, these are called legendary items which everyone wants. However, by introducing this, the name of the game changed completely from being boring in to farming for these magnificient pieces of gear.

At the same time, they created a problem, by not finishing this content, which is now considered to be the most important content in the game. The legendary quests can not be done with friends without gimping one's character progression, and they have yet to provide any kind of comments about increasing the incentive to Play this game as a group, which is the main reason dragging my score down.

This game is essentially a single player game that is advertised as MMO and ARPG. It totally fullfills the shoes to be an full-pledged ARPG, but unfortunately all the MMO elements are very lacking.

Secondly, the Dev team is in constant rush of releasing new content, without actually testing it on test server. Some of the content gets tested well, but a lot of the hero changes are slammed in the game totally untested, causing massive uproars amongst the player community. So far they have ruined a few classes by doing this (Namely Black Widow and Loki) and have not even bothered to comment on the matter ever since. All they've done, has been requests for "top 5 improvements" which have yet to date seen any interaction from the Devs. All the players playing those heroes have been holding their breath ever since while hoping for a chance.

When Gazillion thinks something is out of place, they Nerf it hard without asking anyone's feedback, or running it through test center. This unfortunately seems to be a constant trend amongst the Devs who are extremely nice and excel in communication on forums. In a way it pains me to write such an critical review, but it needs to be done. I have spent my time on the forums, attaining very respectable status, and have helped a lot of the players on constant basis, but still, this game fails to impress me. Very often cool features get announced, but when they see the light of the day, they are "Meh" at most. They are very unfinished. Usually you would imagine the developers to actually want to finish their newly created content, but that does not seem to be the case with marvel heroes.

This game is still extremely unfinished, even though it is at 2.0. I have spent 1000 hours playing it so far, and even though i have easily gained my money's worth, i have not really enjoyed the trip. I really want to play this game, but am sometimes overwhelmed by Gazillion's attitude to fix things by taking 1 step forwards and 2 backwards. I am a huge Marvel Fanatic, so this is pretty much the main reason why i keep going back.

These are the main negatives in the game for me, and i am hoping they will improve in near future, before Gazillion loses it's face completely.

The good things:
    A lot of your favorite heroes .
    Devs are very nice, and take feedback in well, but very selectively.
    Beautiful graphics
    Cool Physics
    A lot of gear to collect, but the drop rates are not too good, do not be fooled by the amound of garbage you seem.

~Nukemi
  21. Jun 6, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is too early come out. That is the first thing you need to know. Good thing is that this game has potential. But overall is fun. They need lot of work on content, end game, pvp and balance.

Really like animation, music, action and overall gameplay. But dislike maps and that you can not change your visual character but only with costume. And cash shop is too expensive for me. Spiderman 20 is too much if you ask me.
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a very playable game for a F2P. I love marvel universe and i love diablo 2 and this game is pretty much the mix of them. What totally destroys the game is, that this is the most expensive F2P ever created. If you want to try out every hero and skin prepare to pay at least 200 euro. Absolutely ridiculous prices are what totally ruins this game.
  23. Jul 19, 2013
    Ignore early reviews of this game. It's not an accurate portrayal of how the game is right now. Was there some issues early on? Definitely. Is it getting better each week? Most definitely. The game is fun and it keeps getting more fun. They have the best communication between developers and fans that I have ever seen. They are all over their forums answering questions (and toughIgnore early reviews of this game. It's not an accurate portrayal of how the game is right now. Was there some issues early on? Definitely. Is it getting better each week? Most definitely. The game is fun and it keeps getting more fun. They have the best communication between developers and fans that I have ever seen. They are all over their forums answering questions (and tough questions that most gaming staffs would ignore). Give this game a chance. It was released too early but it's getting there. Plus, it's free. Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    On game play alone this game would earn about a 7, it's nothing special or spectacular but it's solid. It's Diablo with a Marvel skin....and if that was where this game ended, I would've been happy for a few months running my favorite comic heroes through the grinder. Unfortunately what kills this game is the outlandish business plan attached. Bonus it's free, but within two minutes of theOn game play alone this game would earn about a 7, it's nothing special or spectacular but it's solid. It's Diablo with a Marvel skin....and if that was where this game ended, I would've been happy for a few months running my favorite comic heroes through the grinder. Unfortunately what kills this game is the outlandish business plan attached. Bonus it's free, but within two minutes of the game starting, you realise that's a sucker play. You're presented with a choice of 4 heroes, and once you chose one, that's who your stuck with until you pony up some cash for another one. There are, in theory, hero drops and it is concievable to gain your favorite character through playing. However with 50 hours invested, I've had 2 special drops and one was for a hero I already had (the likelihood of a drop being a character you already have is by design). I wouldn't mind the 'pay for new heroes' scheme as much if it wasn't quite so overpriced. Characters cost anywhere from 6$-20$, even if you figure in paying 40$ for the game (roughly retail for a new release like this) you're only looking at having a starting stable of 3-5 characters, which isn't the end of the world, but it certainly isn't a game model I want to support for future game builders. All in all, not a bad game, but a horrific treatment of the already laughable phrase 'free to play'. Expand
  25. Jun 7, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a MMO Action RPG that was definitely made by Marvel fans, for Marvel fans. All of the 21 default playable characters have moves well befitting them, and whether you're taking a trip to Madripoor, aiding the Morlocks under Mutant Town, or seeing the face of the literal Marvel version of Death when you're downed, the game's full of nods small and large that true believersMarvel Heroes is a MMO Action RPG that was definitely made by Marvel fans, for Marvel fans. All of the 21 default playable characters have moves well befitting them, and whether you're taking a trip to Madripoor, aiding the Morlocks under Mutant Town, or seeing the face of the literal Marvel version of Death when you're downed, the game's full of nods small and large that true believers will appreciate.

The gameplay is easily summed up as Ultimate Alliance meets Diablo. The game is very action-oriented and loot-driven with a leveling system and enough unique mannerisms and skills to make each hero stand out. Whether you're leaping on top of mobs and smashing them to the ground with The Hulk, regenerating health more quickly than you can lose it with Wolverine, or taking out groups with The Punisher's heavy and not-always-conventional firepower, there's a lot of fun in taking any character and beating on street hoodlums, agents of AIM and Hydra, and bigger enemies including giant mechs and the iconic Sentinels. Boss fights naturally involve fighting big-time superbads like The Green Goblin, the Kingpin, and Magneto, and each one has their own attack strategies, some more varied than others, that you'll want to counter and react to if you wish to survive.

The core game is a lot of fun, but there's enough to dampen, though not destroy, the experience. Though you can choose from one of five starter heroes (Daredevil, Storm, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, The Thing) for free, and can earn a couple others through story progress, the majority are not so simple to get. Character pricing is rather excessive, with the range running from $6.00 to $20.00 per hero. Since there's no option to buy $6.00 worth of currency (known as G in the game), to get a $6.00 hero you'd still have to pay $10.00. Only three heroes (Spider-Man, Iron Man and Deadpool) go for $20, but it's nevertheless an inadequate pricing system.

Costumes, meanwhile, can cost every bit as much as the heroes themselves. Deadpool has an 'enhanced' costume that does more than happen to be merely a re-skin, but it also goes for $20.00, meaning that getting that costume along with Deadpool himself would cost you $40 altogether. Characters and costumes can be dropped in game, meaning that you could feasibly unlock all of them without paying a dime, but these drops are exceptionally rare.

Another major downer is the content past level 30. The main story ends at around level 25, leaving you to perform daily challenges that are pretty much equivalent to a pointless grind. Your character earns their final ability at level 30, leaving little incentive to use him past that point. It must be said that better content for the levels past 25 will most-likely be added over time, but for now it's not recommendable. Fortunately, even if you never buy anything there should still be three heroes to have fun getting to level 30 with, with more to be attained for those that can play long enough to get the rare character drop.

In the end, if you're a big fan of Marvel then I think you'll enjoy this game, even in its imperfect state. The game that's there is addictive fun, and the variety in the way heroes play makes it a joy to switch between them to enjoy each one's perks. For those that are less partial to Marvel and superheroes in general, however, it is a harder recommendation, and those looking to focus on one character at a time or spend little to no money might not get as much out of this.
  26. Aug 22, 2013
    The actual gameplay is fun until you get to the end game grind, then you get to fight with not having enough storage space and having to hope you get something rare to drop. Even if you ignore everything but the heroes, it still comes out to be a very expensive game.
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    If you like the idea of playing 20 hours of a diablo-style game with a Marvel hero, this game is for you. If it's because you look for the joy of playing a crime fighting super hero in a video game, forget it, the area you just entered in has already been cleaned by 5 doppelgangers. Disappointing.

The storyline in itself is quite good, you fight various Marvel villains during your progression, but the challenge is inexistant nad you don't suffer any consequences when you die. Also, the comics panels cutscenes were not a good idea. You can enjoy the high quality of Marvel illustrator's work, but they don't bring anything to the game itself.

Otherwise, the problems in this game are legions A bad launching which resulted in balancing issue through intense patching, an end-game content limited to the same 9 dungeons you do over and over again, and the need to pay up to 20 to play your favorite hero (costume not included) are as much issues that will keep you away from enjoying Marvel Heroes.
  28. Jul 19, 2013
    To me a FTP game comes down to is it "pay to win" or not. This game is not PTW. So that's a green light on a fair game

First i'd like to mention how easy it was to make a meta critic account. It took almost 5 seconds. Secondly, how easy it is to become a critique here. All you really need is a youtube account,twitter or a random website that can be about anything. First, i'd like to

First, i'd like to say with massive feedback the prices of heroes and costumes have gone down. That's cool, the game's a bit cheaper if you chose to play that way. Comparing the prices atm to prices of other ftp games, like warframe for example. It's honestly on par. The skins for warframe cost $15 and the highest costume in MH costs around like $13. ...

No way is this cash shop "intruding" it's pretty on par with any ftp games.

the gameplay, is getting better. Some known issues with "itemization" meaning gear that's actually worth hunting. They released "cosmic gear", which is a decent step in valuable gear worth hunting.

They need to get better in gear that's worth it honestly. Atm It's not there. I play majority of the heroes, and I can arguably say every hero has 2 items out of 5 that are completely useless. They don't roll anything of benefit to the actual hero.

I find it hard to build heroes, when you have 2 gear slots that offer no value to you. Artifacts seem random and the best ones are just increases to your overall damage. Or dodge.

I can't do a crazy build, like I can with other games atm. Every hero has like 1-3 good builds, that just revolve around 1 skill that does the most damage.

Gear seems to have no effect on your character progression. It just seems to be by your level. Again it;s mostly finding gear that has "x" value to that one skill your building your hero around. It doesn't lead to much versatility.

That's not to say other games have versatility, I mean...pretty much D3. Pick a skill, your character revolves around the skills you chose. That's the best way to explain it. I would've liked it to revolve around gear, but nope.

Optimization. Wow, is this game poorly optimized. Like I have a pretty solid computer. A i5 with a gtx 460 sli. I get 20 fps in areas with alot of people. With all the animations spilling out and all the rag doll dead bodies, your card has to render alot of stuff.

They have this feature to lower friendly particle effects, but it doesn't seem to help much. I would've liked a more reduced amount.

Heroes, it's what the games about. The skill trees on some of these heroes are useless. Some powers are completely useless. They need to revamp some of the heroes. Like they gave cyclops a melee tree, the guy who gets one shot by air gets a melee tree? interesting.

Some heroes, need to play like they do comic wise. Like IM, his repulsor animations are these blasts of light. They should be elongated lasers right? you should see a huge explosion of lasers and missles correct? ...obviously to give a good IM experience you need to match his awesome powers, but here lies the problem.

You know that particle effect from other players? would'nt your screen explode if you had lasers and missles and explosions? here lies the fundamental balance that the game is struggling to do. It needs to find a balance of great hero experience with out making the screen die.

The game needs hero revamps, optimization, end game modes, rewarding loot.

^ those are major issues. In any arpg to have. I have played all the arpg's out in the market atm. Each one has atleast 3 out of 5 of those examples I used. This game has all 5.

Why am I so optimistic? the dev team is the hardest working bunch I have ever seen. It takes D3 like 1 and a half year and counting to do anything about itemization. They have done nothing. In 1 month this game actually changed alot.

PoE still struggles with De-sync a deal breaking arpg experience for me. Yet nothing is done.

I applaud the hard work of the devs who talk with the community alot and actually work for their game. While there still needs to be work, I have faith in these guys.

Plus what other game won't charge you for DLC? it's a pretty sweet deal. Your time won't be wasted in the game as you can log back in a year and don't have to pay for additional content.

I mean it's like we forgot D3 server issues that kept killing HC players for 4 months straight untill they fixed it. It's like we forget PoE server issues and un-finished story content.

Lets not forget how games start and that they need time to develop. I trust these guys to develop the game at a very fast pace. Faster than PoE or D3.
  29. Jun 9, 2013
    It has a solid game play, with different characters giving different play styles, and also different enemies on different level, map variations, but it's shallow because it's was following or trying to be the same with other games that have similar game play. while it's nice to play until you can finish the story, but after that you will just feel flat, repetitive and boring.
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    It's only fun when your playing friends, on your own it's boring as hell and makes you want to cry. However this Marvel game is decent. Oh and it's not that Diablo like.
  31. Oct 25, 2013
    The game is okay for a free to play, i guess i just need more memory so that i wouldn`t have any problems. Wish it had more things to do and more loot drop for the character your playing with not all the characters you have but fun game to play.
  32. Nov 13, 2013
    This game is is very meh dumb fun. I was Punisher, walk into a room, fire your gun randomly, everyone dies. The story, I could not care less for, but its funny moments and cinematic that pull it through, just play as a Long-Ranged and its fun, Melee is EXTREMELY boring.
  33. Feb 15, 2014
    Overall the game is massively fun at first ,at least, and will please most comic book readers who want to see their best characters come to life in a fun RPG game.

One of the few games where the developers are constantly upgrading the game, they add a new character every 2 weeks or so which is great. They stick in close connection with the community, constantly asking for ideas and taking ideas with credit given of course. They release betas openly because they want ideas and suggestions to make the game better which is a great model for every other game company out there.

The game has its bonuses, for example I got free gold because of my computer company and the game company sharing some kind of agreement which was great. The game has many different heroes that bring unique styles to the table, and is best played with friends preferably on voice chat or else it can get a little stale after an hour or so. The boss fights are fun and the way you play the game using your mouse to aim is fun compared to other RPG such as SWTOR or WoW where its intense and requires constant attention.

As a comic book reader my self I loved the game as it brought my favourite stories to life. I have to admit though that after a while it got stale. You got to lvl 30 and then you just ended up killing the same bosses over and over again. They also give you the option to prestige, go from 1 all the way up to 60 again just for the sake of vanity. After 30 it slows down, becomes more tiring and boring. The game could still be kept alive by friends and the only thing that kept me going was the hope that lvl 60 would be more fun compared to the leveling process.

Instead of focusing on new characters, Gaz should really be focusing on expanding levels, items and bosses. No matter how many new characters they add you will eventually getting bored of killing the same baddies. There is so much potential to pull from, the Marvel universe is vast yet they are using something like 5% of it in terms of villains and bad guys. The thing that keeps you going, aside from the desire to hit 60, are the cool unique character powers that each character her.

Just to prove the slope of the game, here is a accurate time played of the game for me:

1st Week (Honeymoon Stage) - 30+ Hours of game time. Thats almost 4 hours a day. Yeah I was having lots of fun killing different villains and leveling my Iron Man/Hawkeye side to side comparing the 2.

2nd Week (After-Honeymoon) About 14 hours of game time, as you can see it was cut in half. Villains were getting boring killing over and over again, the game was getting grindy. And I was playing in hopes of reaching 60 to renew the feel for the game. A large amount of the 14 hours was also doing other things while leaving the game open.

3rd Week (Dying out) About 7 hours. 1 hour a day, I was having trouble finding interest in the game, at this point I was lvl 56-58 or so, very close to the 60 but just couldn't play for more than 1 hour to reach it in time.

4th week (Dings 60) Under 7 hours. I finally dinged 60, and played the few cosmic missions that came with it. My goal was to get nice gear, but I realized that when you hit 60 the hope in the game becoming funner at the max lvl is suddenly gone because you have nothing to look forward to now. The game suddenly died off and was a game I sometimes played with family/friends who also loved Marvel.

As you can see the game quickly dies out. Gaz has tricked themselves into thinking that a new character every so and so will keep your interest. Not to mention the many bugs that come along with it, for example my com can't download the game because it says that my software is too "new" for the game.

Overall a fun game at first that will keep your interest for 2 weeks at most. Eventually will get boring and die off unless your the type of person who likes to put on music and play 5 hours a day mindlessly killing the same boring villains.

If there is one thing we can take away is that other companys should maintain tight relationship with fan-base like gaz does, but alas they forgot simple video game courtesy like creating new content for players.

All in all, I reccomend this game to anyone as it is fun at first, a great time killer maybe while waiting for a new game to come out. Highly reccomended to comic fans as its great to see your faveourite characters come to life before your eyes in a fun hack/slash diablo style game. It is quiet buggy, and will eventually get stale really quikcly. If your looking for a game to gradually progress in over the course of several months to a year then this is not the game for you.
  34. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is a slightly above average game. With a lot of characters to choose from (most for a small price or as a rare drop in game), the game tries to do too much as a fresh title. It stays true to the creators roots by providing a pretty good game if you are into 'grinding' for rewards and offers quite a bit of uniqueness to characters and builds. However, the game is not polishedThis game is a slightly above average game. With a lot of characters to choose from (most for a small price or as a rare drop in game), the game tries to do too much as a fresh title. It stays true to the creators roots by providing a pretty good game if you are into 'grinding' for rewards and offers quite a bit of uniqueness to characters and builds. However, the game is not polished and is missing many core things that players are accustomed to via games that play similar. There are many bugs and balancing issues that can (and probably will) leave players of certain characters at a loss when large changes go through. The current endgame after story mode is a bit lack luster and seems to be in need of refining before too many Marvel fans grow tired of it. Expand
  35. Jul 2, 2015
    This game has improved a lot since its release, but I'm still not a huge fan. It looks an plays like something from a decade ago. Its free to try though. If you're into ARPGs like Diablo or Torchlight it might be worth a try.
  36. Jun 26, 2014
    This is essentially a poor man's DC Universe online. Marvel tried to respond with DCUO's success and failed big time. it pales in comparison and without is comparison, is decent at best. MMORPGS have customization, which is key and is what makes them successful, Marvel Heroes takes that away, it takes away the ability to make one's own character, it's lack of controller compatibility andThis is essentially a poor man's DC Universe online. Marvel tried to respond with DCUO's success and failed big time. it pales in comparison and without is comparison, is decent at best. MMORPGS have customization, which is key and is what makes them successful, Marvel Heroes takes that away, it takes away the ability to make one's own character, it's lack of controller compatibility and generic controls isn't bad, but it's just the same as almost every other MMORPG game. It seems like Gazillion was too scared to do anything ground breaking or new. What bright spots this game has is almost immediately forgotten with its many short comings. Expand
  37. Aug 6, 2014
    Thor, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Hulk, Deadpool, WolverineThor, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Hulk, Deadpool, WolverineThor, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Hulk, Deadpool, Wolverine

1. games(TM)
    Jul 28, 2013
    There's the hollow shell of a game. [Issue#137, p.116]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Under-delivers on the promise of the licence. A middling action-RPG that you’d have to be a Marvel fan to love.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    At the end of the day, though, these few good points don’t make up for the flaws with what should be the most important elements of a game like this - the combat and the loot grind - and an overall lack of polish. Being free to play, you don’t lose out on anything but 15 odd gigabytes of your data cap if you want to give Marvel Heroes a go, but with that said, it’s hard to recommend this game over the other free to play lootfests that are around.