Marvel Heroes PC

6.7

1. Dec 17, 2013
    I am one of those players who tried Marvel Heroes at launch and wrote it off pretty quickly as a poor Diablo clone coupled to a money-grabbing 'freemium' scheme.

However, I was seeing a little more buzz about it recently, nearly six months after its launch. I was resistant to even looking at what had changed, but got a code for $25 of in-game currency through a PC hardware promotion. I figured I would give it a shot since I would be able to play with more than the terrible 'starter' heroes.

Imagine my surprise to find that the game has gotten tremendous polish, and even those starter heroes were fun to run around with. The game as it exists now provides much more fun than I had even with Diablo III. THIS is the game that should have launched, but I think it needed the scrutiny of a few thousand active users to get to this point.

Loot is plentiful and, surprisingly, fun. Ever want to give Iron Man a grappling hook, or have Hulk summon demons to help him smash things up? You can do that. How about an item that lets Spider-Man shoot fireballs, or one that makes enemies flee in fear at the destruction wrought by the Punisher? It's in there. This is on top of the usual white/green/blue/purple/yellow/orange loot that Diablo and Torchlight players have come to know and love.

There is a system is in place to allow players to earn new heroes (rather than pay real money for them) and I was skeptical about how well that would work. But the required items (Eternity Splinters) drop very regularly as long as you are fighting enemies, and the game goes out of its way to point them out to you when they drop. Granted, you have to put in a bit of time to earn enough (around 30-40 hours for the cheaper heroes) but it's better than the horrible random token system they had in place at launch.

Gameplay has also been adjusted, and you actually feel like a super hero when playing. There are moments where I wish I was recording the game when playing as Iron Man, firing missiles, repulsor blasts and his trademark Unibeam at waves of oncoming Hydra soldiers or Hand ninjas. The terminal missions which pit you against hordes of upgraded goons, named unique enemies, and bosses is an absolute blast.

So if you, like me, wrote this game off as a poor attempt to cash in on the Marvel license, give it another shot. At launch, I would have given the game a 4 at best. As it stands today, it's a solid 8, teetering on a 9. It was an absolute joy to see how it had matured.
  2. Jul 10, 2013
    This game Is Really Good After Like 10 minutes I got hooked Because Of 1# Awesome Story Line #2 Combat system Is very smooth #3 Lots of characters Too choose from! (NOT AT THE START OF THE GAME!). This game might not be as good as most titles out there but its still a game worth trying out.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    This game is really fun to play and graphics is nice. Game play is good for me to relax after working hard. I think this is a good game fo everyone. But I think there should be more characters in MH. And we need stat points besides skill points for a hack and slash game
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    At launch, Marvel Heroes had significant issues. Only a month later, and the game's basically fixed every single one of them. Not only is significant new content on the way, but a lot of it has already been added, and we're merely a week away(as of this writing) from the first new character class being added to the title. It's clear that Marvel Heroes isn't just a good game at thisAt launch, Marvel Heroes had significant issues. Only a month later, and the game's basically fixed every single one of them. Not only is significant new content on the way, but a lot of it has already been added, and we're merely a week away(as of this writing) from the first new character class being added to the title. It's clear that Marvel Heroes isn't just a good game at this point, but one that's going to get better and better as time goes on. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    This game keeps on getting better. I encourage anyone who has played the game at launch and stopped since then to check out all the cool stuff coming out in the very near future in the Dev Blog at https://marvelheroes.com/community/dev-blog. Gazillion is working hard to make this the best game ARPG out.
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    A severely underrated game that will eat away hours of your time without you noticing. The game is not without flaws but the development team is committed to patching the game and is due some vast improvements in the coming weeks. The pricing model isn't the cheapest on the market but all the content in the game is free which allows for unrestricted gameplay.

As for the gameplay it's

As for the gameplay it's what you'd expect from an ARPG, personally I've sunk more hours into this than D3. Most the heroes(classes) are well designed and reflect their iconic marvel counterpart well, the skills are fun to use and there's an ongoing story for players to take part in as well as an end-game that revolves around item hunting as you'd expect from most ARPGS.

The game got panned by critics and whilst a lot of the negative feedback was warranted most of them didn't give the game longer than 30 minutes, it really does bloom as you play more and with the impending patches that include both fixes, content and heroes the game can only get better.
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is just amazing. I cant play this game at home due to poor performance from my computer but that doesn't stop me from hustling over to a internet cafe to play this game. I highly recommend this game to anyone who loves marvel comic.
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    I paid money for D3 and hated every spending any money on the RAH.
    I got MH for free and have spent a few hundred dollars on stuff and am loving it.

With their system and no AH there is never a fear of gold farmers entering the game. I love that and will keep spending money to show the devs how much there hard work is appreciated. The game is only going to get better.
  9. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has a solid setup and the dev team seems to have a really great grasp on where they want it to go. Sure there may be some hiccups right now but for comic fans and gamers alike theres a lot to like.
  10. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is fun. If you like ARPG it's fun. If you also like Marvel Universe it's extra fun. There are some problems, surely it rushed to release, but the developer are taking all the problems to heart (prices, itemization, end game content, client optimization) and releasing patches after patches to address the shortcomings of the game.

From an august patch they will introduce a new

From an august patch they will introduce a new item that you can collect from mobs drop and that will permit you to "buy", with a certain amount of drops, the character you want. So it's true that at the start you can choose only five characters but after some time with the game you have the opportunity to choose the character you want. And that's great.

This, and much more changes they announced (like a new client), are the outcome of the active confrontation in forums of the developer with the community. Some kind of interaction I've sincerely never seen before in other games and that is giving this game a really bright future.
  11. Jul 21, 2013
    Marvel Heroes had a lot of bugs and problems at launch, but has recently had a lot of major patches that really fixed a lot of the troubles it previously had. The early reviews are therefore not accurate towards how the game is now, and it is a lot more polished, more fun, and more balanced then it was at launch.

It is a lot of fun to play an ARPG with your favorite Marvel characters,

It is a lot of fun to play an ARPG with your favorite Marvel characters, and it totally adds up for any Marvel fan out there. There is loads of content, and new content is planned and being worked on as we speak, so that's also coming out in the near future.

It still has some issues, but these are all being worked on by a fantastic crew, so they are probably gonna get sorted out real soon.
  12. Jul 21, 2013
    I was frankly pretty surprised by the low reviews, though I do believe there are a few factors working against the game. First, it was a mistake to bill this as an MMO I've been playing MMO's from the beginning and this shares little or no resemblance to one. Yes, you see other people running around in open areas but the similarity basically ends there.

Second, the prices for

Second, the prices for characters/costumes at release was certainly too high. I had purchases a founders pack prior to release, so this really didn't have any impact on me I've purchased a couple of other characters, STASH tabs, etc. using the in-game currency included with founders pack (for which I paid $59.99 i believe which was a reasonable price to me for a video game I'll be playing for many hours).

With those two factors out of the way, how is the game itself? I find it highly entertaining it's a fun action RPG (NOT MMO). I'm actively playing 7 heroes ranging in level from 45 to 17 (I have others that I haven't started yet). The heroes play very differently from one another, so even repeating the same content is still entertaining (this should be familiar territory for ARPG fans).

The servers have also been very stable for me with little or no lag (one zone in the game seems laggy for me none of the others). I haven't encountered any serious bugs.

The game certainly has shortcomings primarily, to me, the classes (characters) need a good bit of work to bring them in line with each other in terms of playability. All that I've played seem good during story mode (which carries you to the low to mid 20's), but many suffer from the crazy scaling of enemies at higher levels being one shot repeatedly by trash mobs is not exactly fun and only a few characters can avoid that fate.

Many things in the game need to be tweaked item stats, costs for crafting, scaling of many abilities (too many are "one hit wonders'). However, these are being addressed already the game is significantly different from where it was on release and there's very clear evidence that the design and development team is receptive and responsive (which, sadly, seems a rarity).

Bottom line for me if you're a fan of action RPG's and you like the Marvel Universe, the game is worth a try. If you're looking for an MMO or are not used to the ARPG model of playing, the game may not be what you're looking for.
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    100 hours of play and I have left. After the improvements that have been little more than 1 month old, the game is very good and is fun, fun, maybe things missing but developers are taking it very seriously and are constantly improving it. And we can say that is better than diablo 3 xD
  14. Jul 20, 2013
    As a person that was thoroughly disappointed with Diablo 3, a game like Marvel Heroes has been an absolute god-send. I've waited a few weeks since launch to write a review for it (giving Gazillion some time to hash out a few bugs), and I can honestly say the rate at which they continue to improve this game earns them a solid 10/10 in my book. It is absolutely worth a try to anyone who isAs a person that was thoroughly disappointed with Diablo 3, a game like Marvel Heroes has been an absolute god-send. I've waited a few weeks since launch to write a review for it (giving Gazillion some time to hash out a few bugs), and I can honestly say the rate at which they continue to improve this game earns them a solid 10/10 in my book. It is absolutely worth a try to anyone who is even remotely a fan of the genre or the Marvel universe. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    This game continues to get better and better, although I would have given it a 10 since the launch. The characters all have a unique feel to them and they get more powerful all the time. The Marvel feel of the game is awesome and pervasive. Can't wait for the new Manhattan and Asgard Areas! Great game!
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are into Marvel and Diablo, then this game is perfect for you. And just FYI you can turn off the auto join groups in the options menu. So its not a hard core MMO. You can even finish the entire game story line alone. I even beat the boss single handedly. (and I was under leveled with only 2 good items) So there isn't a real need for multi-player like some people say there is. (unless you want to play with friends) Expand
  17. Dec 12, 2013
    Some of these reviews are bull I felt obligated to give it a 10 to counter balance nonsense. the only thing this game did wrong was not release in Open Beta, because it would've released atm and would've atleast gotten a 7.5. It's a 75 game, but i'm giving it a 10 because I almost missed out on it listening to this garbage website.
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    I picked this game up, just looking through the free steam titles. I played warframe, poe, tf2. Think marvel heroes is like a free MUA. I like that it's not dependent to how much money I feed that game, like warframe is. I played poe, just the combat and random de-sync is stopping me.

Overall, I enjoy MH. Played it for 12 hours in one sitting to beat the story. Did a few legendary quests. Overall endgame is what you expect out of a arpg, it doesn't have anything left out and hasn't added anything new to arpg end game. The genre lacks in that department in general. It's a fun slaughter for loot and I enjoy it.
  19. Dec 13, 2013
    An Action Role-Playing Game in the Dungeon Crawler Mode with some MMO Touches.

One of the heads at Gazillion is Richard Brevik, and original Designer on Diablo and Diablo 2. The "MMO" twists to this game are interesting additions to the ARPG genre. While it's a dungeon grinder at heart, the story mode of the game and certain other playmodes are open instances. You aren't by
    An Action Role-Playing Game in the Dungeon Crawler Mode with some MMO Touches.

The "MMO" twists to this game are interesting additions to the ARPG genre. While it's a dungeon grinder at heart, the story mode of the game and certain other playmodes are open instances. You aren't by yourself, you may be running down the street as Punisher and come across a random Spiderman fighting 50 NPCS. It's a fun touch. Important Story mode areas are individual instanced, or you can have an active option to auto group with others who entered the same instance within 5-10 seconds or so. Gone are Lobbies and Menus where you select which game you want to enter. MMO style "hubs" are safe havens with other players constantly running by and through. There is also guild/clan control as Super Hero Groups.

The game does a lot of things right that the highly anticipated Diablo 3 missed the mark on. Skill trees are "respec" friendly, with a free one for each pass through storymode, and with the potions for it available as random drops. A familiar tree formatting of skills that can be leveled up to 20 each restore a lot of character power balance to how you make your character, not how lucky you are on gear drops.

The game hurt itself press wise by releasing early, it was not a finished product at release. The bugs they have ironed out and continue to work on make it an almost completely different game from launch, and updates come constantly with new characters monthly and a lot of coming content being teased.

There are still some issues with the game, and it can use some more polish. What really pushes this game to a 10 is the community support and involvement of the developers. Refunds for price changes and sales, constant discussion with the community about costumes and characters. Constant Sales and Freebies.

Gaz is really raising the bar on customer service and developer transparency, and to do so with a Major license in the F2P format is shocking.

Gone is the "can't get the character you want without buying it" model from release. About every 5-8 minutes of play, an "eternity splinter" drops. All characters in the game can be purchased with eternity splinters and range from 200-600 splinters in price. After your first normal playthrough of the game you also receive a total of 200 splinters as quest rewards. You should be able to buy any hero you want from the roster by the time your starter selected hero reaches level 40. Random Hero's are also purchasable for 175 splinters. If you random a hero you already have you get a token that upgrades the power of their "ultimate" power, and an additional copy of their costume, which is good for a recipe that lets you craft a random costume from any available in the game (not the limited time available ones though)

The model is better than a lot of F2P games, with all characters unlockable just by playing. If you pick a starter hero, and level them to 40, you should have enough to buy any hero you want, and have enough to buy another specific hero by the time that character is max level. Going the random hero route you will end up with a wide and varied roster quickly.

A lot of the older reviews complaints have been addressed and fixed already, and more improvements are coming quickly. Highly recommend you check the game out.

Today Only Marvel.com has a special code that unlocks Thor for your account for free! Offer ends at 12:01am PST 12/14/13. After registering for the game through their website, go to the profile page, Redeem Code, and enter ODINSON
  20. Dec 16, 2013
    I just picked this game up, didn't realize it was a arpg. Thought it was like that dcuo where you play as a goofy character. Nope, Dl'd the game, although really big. 11.6Gb ..wow. Turns out captain america is a free hero, so, that was pretty good. Played my favorite character, started throwing his shield around, he started talking, felt right. Good on them for a free experience. It's a 10.
  21. Dec 16, 2013
    I escaped the de-sync and terrible animations that was poe. I came into a game, that most people told me wasn't good. I said, F it, i'll give it a shot.

Booted the game up, no lag, cool animations that i don't have to pay for and no de-sync.
  22. Dec 16, 2013
    This game has gotten to be alot of fun. There's like 27 classes, all of them play different. All of them viable. I'm playing this new patch right now on test center, ghost rider is like the best arpg class ever. This guy just, has the best vfx. Fire, chains, bikes, skulls.
  23. Dec 16, 2013
    Heard about the game on poe's chat. I was kinda pissed I died of de-sync, I assume this dude was too. I downloaded the game, even tho it had like 58 critic review. It was worth free. Tried it, got a free thor they were giving away. Just watched that thor 2 movie, was pretty cool. Sounded like thor, had skills like thor. I had a blast for 12 hours. I'll keep playing the game, it's got freeHeard about the game on poe's chat. I was kinda pissed I died of de-sync, I assume this dude was too. I downloaded the game, even tho it had like 58 critic review. It was worth free. Tried it, got a free thor they were giving away. Just watched that thor 2 movie, was pretty cool. Sounded like thor, had skills like thor. I had a blast for 12 hours. I'll keep playing the game, it's got free expansions. So never out of the loop. Expand
  24. Dec 16, 2013
    Should've fake released like other games in open beta. it would be atleast an 8 right now. Well guess people are just stupid, can't wait for a game to develop.
  25. Dec 16, 2013
    If I compare the patch notes of this game to any other game. It would be like comparing a bible and a short poem. The interaction of dev/player. The changes the game makes to player feedback. The overall tone of the player mattering. Is something that I find missing in most games, not this one. The game is incredibly fun and free.
  26. Dec 16, 2013
    If anything more game companies can learn from this one. Interaction is important. It does pay off. The game is far beyond what it was in June. Other companies would charge you 5 expansions for what they did in 6 months.
  27. Dec 16, 2013
    2-d mouse clicking game. Who writes these reviews? Srsly. it's an arpg, if you don't like arpg, don't play an arpg. Through the eyes of a arpg lover, i liked mua. The game has alot of heroes, seems like the real deal compared to like lego universe. You get heroes at a pretty fast rate, the game is pretty solid with the loot. Iconic marvel names and stuff.
  28. Dec 18, 2013
    I don't know what an arpg is. I came in here expecting WoW. So, i'm going to base my review on what WoW has because this obviously is a mmorpg. Wow, people sometimes. It's an arpg. It's supposed to be like this.!
  29. Dec 19, 2013
    6 months after release, this game is a different game! I been playing this game non stop for 5 months, i have spent endless hours doing legendary missions, talk to friendly people, and cry of joy when unique gear drop. i can see myself playing this game for years!
  30. Mar 2, 2014
    If you like Marvel, hack'n'slash and MMO, you'll like it !

Do not give credit to old reviews, the developers are very involved, the game has really, really changed since its release. And by old, I mean : almost all 2013 posts. Do not listen either to those saying that things are expensive to buy in the shop, the game is absolutely "free to play" and is not "pay to win". You can
    If you like Marvel, hack'n'slash and MMO, you'll like it !

Do not listen either to those saying that things are expensive to buy in the shop, the game is absolutely "free to play" and is not "pay to win". You can unlock all characters by playing the game, leveling one character gives you enough of the in-game currency needed to unlock another random hero or you can play a bit more during endgame and have enough to unlock the specific hero you want. You might want to buy extra storage space to keep cool stuff that you find, but i won't cost you much, and you will still have a perfectly fine MMO with 30 heroes (and probably 2 more in March) to play for less than 10$.
  31. Jul 16, 2013
  32. Aug 7, 2013
    The game is very good, I've spent 100 hrs on it and I liked the process, but what is more important this game is getting better pretty fast. Developers are doing great job and I give them credit for it.
  33. Jul 20, 2013
    The game is honestly fun. It's future is looking very good with Gaz so connected to the community and are actually listening to the fans and making the necessary adjustments to the game which obviously have been great changes so far. I'm very excited to see where this game heads in the next couple of months.
  34. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is fun. and have huge potential. Marvel Heroes may beyond diablo.
    but that is the power of visualization, this game has a long way to go.
    Few skill, small contents, some bug and lag, etc.
    Enormous potential is crucial feature of Marvel Heroes.
  35. Aug 5, 2013
    im enjoying Marvel Heroes. at first i dislike Marvel Heroes because client crush.
    but 1.11 patch is awesome. client is stable. and free hero system Eternity Splinter like LoL is perfect for me.
    Definitely, this game is improving a lot day by day.
  36. Aug 9, 2013
    I wouldn't have given this game a 9 at launch, but I'ts gotten a lot better since launch and will continue to get better. It's your typical action rpg but mixed with mmo gameplay. I really enjoyed the story Probably my least favorite part about the game was the prices of costumes, but that in no way affects gameplay whatsoever. i've put at least 400 hours into this game and will continueI wouldn't have given this game a 9 at launch, but I'ts gotten a lot better since launch and will continue to get better. It's your typical action rpg but mixed with mmo gameplay. I really enjoyed the story Probably my least favorite part about the game was the prices of costumes, but that in no way affects gameplay whatsoever. i've put at least 400 hours into this game and will continue to spend more. More content will come and this game is only going to get better. Launch was way rushed. Expand
  37. Aug 15, 2013
    Is it perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. Do you like Marvel? You'll like this game. Did you enjoy Diablo 2 and felt disappointed by Diablo 3? You won't be disappointed by this game because it's reminiscent of D2 and probably is what D3 should have been (since Brevik is on this game). There's tons of potential in this game. They release patches weekly to improve the game. They listen to theIs it perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. Do you like Marvel? You'll like this game. Did you enjoy Diablo 2 and felt disappointed by Diablo 3? You won't be disappointed by this game because it's reminiscent of D2 and probably is what D3 should have been (since Brevik is on this game). There's tons of potential in this game. They release patches weekly to improve the game. They listen to the community. I've personally had 3 Developers/Support Staff respond to my bug reports and issues. You know what makes all of this REALLY worth it, though? IT'S FREE. Expand
  38. Feb 13, 2014
    This game was marred by a weak launch, and its score reflects that.
    It has come back magnificently since then, and is now an excellent action RPG in the Diablo mold.
    If you liked Diablo and you like Marvel super heroes, you will probably love this game. There are tons of heroes to choose from, and they can be bought with in-game dropped resources (or money, if you are impatient). I
    This game was marred by a weak launch, and its score reflects that.

I highly recommend this game.
  39. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is interesting game and similar to diablo.
    i really enjoy this game.
    also this game dev communication wit user is really cooperative. i most like this.
  40. Jan 9, 2014
    o be honest its great game, launch wasn't smooth. But now its on pair with PoE and D3, in some terms even better. It expands standart ARPG into MMO which is great. Definitely worth to try.
  41. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is ARPG game.
    first of all, game graphic is nice. but game performance is bad. Also contents is small
    i think Marvel Heroes should be stick to the character quality because character is best feature of Marvel Heroes.
    1.11 patch was good and beginning of game.
    go for it
  42. Sep 4, 2013
    don't let the critic reviews done last June fool you. what started out as a poorly-optimized Diablo-wannabe is now an Action RPG legend in matter of 3 months, thanks to the 1.11 patch. while it is F2P, those who will be hooked to the game will be forced to pay extra for additional storage space, characters (unless one plays endlessly to collect Eternity Splinters), and costumes.

my only

my only concern is that the game is too utopian with gamers usually getting what they want from the programmers, constantly patching up the game for stronger characters. there's no distinction on who's more skilled in playing or build-making, just a bunch of players with cookie-cutter builds per character that kill enemies solely for the sake of rare items.
  43. Feb 21, 2014
    I am having a blast with this game, its free I chose the Colossus player and he simply destroys everything its so much fin seeing him fly into action and destroy everything on the screen. I have been playing this a lot on Steam, Lots of drops, lots of fun, if you like Diablo Torchlight top down, and Marvel then you need to play this game. I played back when it first went online in 2013 andI am having a blast with this game, its free I chose the Colossus player and he simply destroys everything its so much fin seeing him fly into action and destroy everything on the screen. I have been playing this a lot on Steam, Lots of drops, lots of fun, if you like Diablo Torchlight top down, and Marvel then you need to play this game. I played back when it first went online in 2013 and it was ok, the players you choose from did stink. But now they opened it up and there is like 10 you get to choose from. Of course I had to create a new account but I am enjoying it a lot. If you did play it its worth trying it out again. It is much better and they are constantly updating it and tweaking it. Loads of fun!!! You got nothing to lose its FREE!!!! I took one point off because of lack of customization. I like RPG's where you add a piece of armor and you can visually see your character change. In this game adding better levels of loot/armor only changes your stats. Expand
  44. May 31, 2014
    After a year I decided the check out the actual status of the game. They did a lot of improvements and the game is fun to play. If they overwork the item handling like stacking etc. will it become a 9/10
  45. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent Game if you like Diablo style games.
    Marvel Heroes is the Marvel MMO that you have been waiting for! Play as Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America and many more as they team up to try and stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube.
  46. Apr 2, 2014
    Superior ARPG now, yes it was released too soon, but has changed drastically since release, if they fix some annoying (not game breaking) bugs it would be a 10.
    9 good starter heroes now, check it out! Doctor Strange is the latest hero as of this review, and new Team Up heroes come out this week, great time to retry, or explore it for the first time.
    More game modes and large world now
    More game modes and large world now and more in the works.
    Next 3 heroes coming this year: Invisible Woman, Psylocke, and Mr. Fantastic.
  47. Oct 14, 2013
    On its own, its an above average-to-good gaming experience, especially if you appreciate the Marvel lore. One has to wonder if Gazillion has a balancing nightmare on their hands, with so many heroes (and future heroes, due to the monetization system) that each have their own playing characteristics and iterations of re-balancing, along with mob re-balancing, that Gazillion is faced with aOn its own, its an above average-to-good gaming experience, especially if you appreciate the Marvel lore. One has to wonder if Gazillion has a balancing nightmare on their hands, with so many heroes (and future heroes, due to the monetization system) that each have their own playing characteristics and iterations of re-balancing, along with mob re-balancing, that Gazillion is faced with a perpetual "wack-a-mole" situation. With that in mind, I understand that making and balancing games is hard, especially one built on the premise of playing a large number of Marvel heroes. As a fan, we'll just have to be understanding and roll with the punches until a happy medium can be found. The trade off is that we get to experience an ARPG with a variety of playing styles, more so than any other ARPG that the market provides.

In a way it reminds me of the old City of Heroes: for all its perceived flaws and balancing issues, it was an incredibly fun game to play for the variety of experiences it offered. The challenge for Gazillion is to keep adding more player experiences beyond the obvious "try a new hero" method. The starting story mode with its production value was pleasing, and I hope more of this kind of thing is added in the future.

If offers a lot for free.
  48. Jan 15, 2014
    First off I want to mention that I played this game and beta and played for a good 120 hrs after it released. At launch this game was pretty rough i won't lie. The system for obtaining new heroes left a lot to be desired if you didn't want to P2W. I came back to this game in late November and have not been able to put it down since and this considering I own both next gen systems this isFirst off I want to mention that I played this game and beta and played for a good 120 hrs after it released. At launch this game was pretty rough i won't lie. The system for obtaining new heroes left a lot to be desired if you didn't want to P2W. I came back to this game in late November and have not been able to put it down since and this considering I own both next gen systems this is really saying something. Since I stopped playing in August they have added, Emma Frost, Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage, Human Torch, Loki, and Ghost Rider as playable Heroes with Nightcrawler dropping at the end of this month. The biggest difference with the game now is that they have a system in place where you can earn any hero you want for free with in game loot called eternity splinters. No longer do you have to hope and pray for a hero token to drop as loot and then be disappointed by getting someone you didn't want in the first place. It is possible to play as every hero in the game without every spending a single penny. With the big 2.0 update they also added an entire new chapter to the story which takes place in Asgard and features the addition of legendary items you can buy with loot called odin marks. These legendary items provide amazing buffs for whatever hero you put them on and the artifact actually levels its stats as you your character does. They also now have several very cool end game modes such as green and red terminal daily missions which are basically boss levels from the story, a very addicting survival mode called X-Defense, and a PVP arena called Fire and Ice. Since returning to the game I have logged another 150 hrs into it and have not regretted a second of it. The only items you really have to pay for with money are costumes (which are completely aesthetic) and additional storage space called STASH tabs. There is still a chance for extra costumes to drop as loot in the game but it is very very rare, last I heard it was a half of 1% chance. You can also obtain a handful of costumes from opening fortune cards but overall costumes seem to be the way that Gazillion make their money and keep the lights on. I spent $40 on the game only because I felt the devs deserved it for doing a complete 180 with this game and correcting just about everything that was wrong in the first place. As I stated before you absolutely don't have to spend any money on this game to enjoy it, and it is in no way pay 2 win. The development team is also very active on the official forums on their website and really do listen to the community as a number of costumes requested by the players have made it into the game. Lastly there is a slew of amazing content on the way this year as they plan to add at least 12 new playable characters (including villians), an all new raid mode, and an X-men inspired Danger Room. If you haven't played this game yet or left the game after its rough launch do yourself a favor and download it again being a F2P game you have absolutely nothing to lose. If your a fan of Marvel you will fall in love with this title. Expand
  49. Mar 4, 2014
    Good Hero selection with more being added.
    The game is fun to play, As long as you pick a decent hero, some heroes SUCK (especially most melee ones) and are not balanced but others are fun, some are overpowered (like Iron man and Storm).
    The game itself needs to be a bit more difficulty (story mode and terminals specifically are to easy including cosmic). 1 Big downside is the lack
    Good Hero selection with more being added.

1 Big downside is the lack of bank space when starting (not paying for any) is extremely limited considering the amount of things you will want to save up for later especially when talking about having multiple characters.
  50. Sep 17, 2013
    yet again metacritic reviews are its downfall, the game has gone from strength to strength and now has multiple play throughs, extra missions and new characters, the game is constantly updating and gets better with every new patch, so far i have played over 500 hours and still have not found it boring, with the ability to collect shards which can then be used to unlock new characters,yet again metacritic reviews are its downfall, the game has gone from strength to strength and now has multiple play throughs, extra missions and new characters, the game is constantly updating and gets better with every new patch, so far i have played over 500 hours and still have not found it boring, with the ability to collect shards which can then be used to unlock new characters, cosmic items, specials etc.

you don't have to be a marvel fan to love this game and the fact its 100% free too boot rates it 10/10, the only costs involved are if you don't want to work to unlock additional characters otherwise its a great F2P.
  51. Sep 21, 2014
    I recently started playing this game (30 days in, about 100 hours of playtime) so I don't have personal history of what it has gone through, but wow is it underrated. This game is an absolute blast particularly if you like marvel characters. There's lots of content, a full 9 chapter story mode with comic book style cinematics, boss run modes called "terminals", Challenge modes which areI recently started playing this game (30 days in, about 100 hours of playtime) so I don't have personal history of what it has gone through, but wow is it underrated. This game is an absolute blast particularly if you like marvel characters. There's lots of content, a full 9 chapter story mode with comic book style cinematics, boss run modes called "terminals", Challenge modes which are survival waves and an open area with events that spawn every few minutes and random spawning packs mobs, a good handful of hub areas to chill out in, a raid zone, weekly events with special items and bonuses, 2 short story areas, and more coming.

Not to mention 38 heroes (at the time of writing) with more on the way already announced. There are also LOTS of villains to fight and many will soon be playable!

This game plays like an action RPG similar to a Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest game, but with marvel heroes and super hero powers.

It's free to play, but there are a lot of micro-transactions. Thankfully, you can get most of the things free using in game currency like new heroes and team ups. The one thing you may end up spending cash on is to increase your storage space. You get on box/page for free plus what your hero and hold and some space for your team up (even if you don't have a team up you can still use their inventory space). But if you play for a while you'll probably end up wanting more to hold all your phat loot :).

Graphics are nice, some of the ability effects are really crazy - great eye candy, while some of the environment are a bit mediocre the new content looks really amazing (Odin's Palace is beautiful). The character voices are amazing - really well done and the concessional interactions with other characters is often hilarios - for example sometimes when Rocket Racoon gets near Iron Man hes says something like "Do you think I could get on of those in my size?" and Cyclops will ask "Staying out of trouble Gambit? Didn't think so." Makes the characters feel more lifelike.

Anyways give it a shot, lots of fun - don't let the old reviews spoil it, this game is amazing.
  52. Jun 6, 2014
    this game is amazing the dev team is one of the best they are always updating the game, events happen like every weekend and they always do free giveaways ive put over 1000 hours into this game and i still enjoy every min of it i give it a 10/10 great job dev team keep up the good work
  53. Nov 12, 2013
    This game is the best ARPG I've played. While it initially had a rough launch, they constantly update, reiterate, and add in more story, characters, levels, bonuses and loot. The game is incredibly fun, fast, exciting, and addicting. While I wish people would go back and rereview games (all multiplayer games once they come out over a period of time), that sadly isn't the culture inThis game is the best ARPG I've played. While it initially had a rough launch, they constantly update, reiterate, and add in more story, characters, levels, bonuses and loot. The game is incredibly fun, fast, exciting, and addicting. While I wish people would go back and rereview games (all multiplayer games once they come out over a period of time), that sadly isn't the culture in which the "gaming journalism" is in. Regardless, it's free, they changed the starter heroes to an amazing roster, you can play completely free and only pay for costumes if you want (or they drop as well so you don't really need to pay). and see you in game! Expand
  54. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes character is awesome. character power, appearance, moving is really well made.
    I really like this game feature like diablo,
    This is what I call MMO. Period!
  55. Aug 20, 2013
    This game had a very rocky start but has come a very long way since it's launch. Large monthly updates to hero balance, content, and bug fixing has turned this game into a ton of fun to play IMO. It does have it's flaws with some heroes still needing balance passes and bugs needing squashed but, with every patch, these issues get fewer and fewer. If you like the Marvel universe, actionThis game had a very rocky start but has come a very long way since it's launch. Large monthly updates to hero balance, content, and bug fixing has turned this game into a ton of fun to play IMO. It does have it's flaws with some heroes still needing balance passes and bugs needing squashed but, with every patch, these issues get fewer and fewer. If you like the Marvel universe, action role playing games, or mmo's I would recommend you give the game a try since it is free to play. I will also say some people complain that it has lag issues. My game had issues until I adjusted some graphics options as described in the next paragraph.

I want to add to my review by saying that after reading some of the bad reviews that say this game has performance issues I would suggest going into your graphics options in the game if you are having issues and turning the max defeated enemies slider all the way to the left so you see no dead bodies. A lot of people don't seem to realize that the ragdoll effects of the dead enemy bodies and respawning props causes a ton of lag if you don't turn it down. I don't have a super high end system(i5 2320, NVIDIA 660ti GPU, 8 GB RAM) and I have zero issues with lag. My lag ended when I turned the max defeated enemies slider all the way down.
  56. Mar 3, 2014
    This game was pretty bad when released, but has had lots and lots of improvements. So be wary of old reviews. This is now a fairly solid, if basic in areas, ARPG, but it does live off its Marvel license, as without it I don't think anyone would be playing (unless it was a DC license of course :)). Can get grindy, you can 'complete' the story at only be at lvl 30 of 60, and those nextThis game was pretty bad when released, but has had lots and lots of improvements. So be wary of old reviews. This is now a fairly solid, if basic in areas, ARPG, but it does live off its Marvel license, as without it I don't think anyone would be playing (unless it was a DC license of course :)). Can get grindy, you can 'complete' the story at only be at lvl 30 of 60, and those next 30 can get dull, esp as they're exponential. Crafting is similarly grindy, collect loot, donate loot, rinse and repeat.

But if there's a character you like, then the chances are you'll enjoy it.
  57. Aug 28, 2013
    This game has benefited from the best post launch developer support I have ever seen. Release review are not indicative of where the game is at now. It has been made into an excellent product. If you are a fan of marvel and aarpg's you will love this game. And it's free so you have nothing to lose!
  58. Oct 2, 2013
    At release, this game felt unfinished and quickly lost its fun aspect. It was at best, a 6 out of 10.

However, the devs have been really putting a TON of work into the game in the form of content, new gameplay, and refined mechanics, the result of which is now a much more fun and enjoyable game. I went from playing maybe 2-3 hours a week, to playing 2-3 hours a day. As of the date im writing this, Marvel Heroes is the most fun ARPG on the market, with even more new and exciting things to come! The devs should take pride in how they turned this game around for the better. Well done.
  59. Sep 15, 2013
    I absolutely love this game it is fun to play and very addictive so please fellow gamers ignore the critics and give Marvel Heroes a chance. The developers are constantly adding to and improving this game I took a break for a while and have just started playing it again and I am impressed with the new content. Marvel Heroes is the only game I consider to be almost free to play withoutI absolutely love this game it is fun to play and very addictive so please fellow gamers ignore the critics and give Marvel Heroes a chance. The developers are constantly adding to and improving this game I took a break for a while and have just started playing it again and I am impressed with the new content. Marvel Heroes is the only game I consider to be almost free to play without feeling like I'm only getting the basic game package. The new difficulty settings make the game less repetitive when playing over again as you will face new enemies and have to use new tactics. Defence has significantly been improved as well which makes investing in it a really good option. New exciting gear has been added I play as fantastic fours Thing and I found a unique item today that adds a 7% chance of releasing a shock-wave and added 2 to my speed stat. Set items would be a great addition to the game and I would love to see them added to the game. Please give Marvel Heroes a chance you won't regret it and it will cost you nothing. Expand
  60. Sep 17, 2013
    At that start of the release, Marvel Heroes was a solid 5, because once you finished the story mode at level 26. You were finished with the game and repeating it with different heroes made thing repetitive. But after checking the game periodically with new patch releases, the game is more interesting to play with different modes and incentive to try other heroes.

What I like the most is

What I like the most is their interactive forums. Their head developers takes inputs and incorporates it to the game. Already there's 3 stages of level difficulty and rewarding items to grind for. Soon a synergy heroes will reward player for level a hero to level 25 and 50, and even allowing maxed players to restart their hero to level 1 if they want to be in the same level with new friends.

On the side-note, because there's no auction house or credit (their game gold) trading involved, therefore there is no gold farmers shouting to sell game gold for real money. I have also heard no cases of accounts being hacked because hackers have little incentive to hack accounts.

I'm posting this grade based on 1.2 patch and giving it a 9, meaning it's not perfect or finished but has high potential. Marvel heroes should get a recognition for improvement their game at a rapid pace, If the critics are willing to do another review at the beginning of next year in 2014, I'm sure Marvel Heroes will be seen in a different light.
  61. Jan 20, 2014
    This game has improved 100% since its launch. Constant new content, new heroes. I'd give it another try if you gave up on it when it first came out. It has no pay to win features and can be played without spending a penny.
  62. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is not the game that launched a few months ago, it is vastly improved in almost every way. Constant patching and tweaks to nearly every aspect of the game; a handful of new heroes released, price reductions across the board, new ways to unlock heroes, new items/item slots, reworks on several heroes with more on the way etc.

The game is grindy, but this style of game has

The game is grindy, but this style of game has always leaned in that direction you either like it (or can deal with it) or you don't. Want the best gear or a new hero for "free"? Well, be prepared to put some time in because its gonna take a while.

There does tend to be hiccups with patches, unfortunately. Things get ironed out fairly quickly, but it happens frequently enough to make me lower my score.
  63. Oct 6, 2013
    This is easily one of the greatest action rpgs on the market today. There are around 30 heroes you play that level and progress individually, and each have their own unique powers and play style. You get more heroes and costumes either by earning eternity splinters in game or they can be purchased.
    The game has new updates all the time, I've never seen an mmo with this many active and beneficial updates. They improve the characters, add new areas, new items to find, and they listen to feedback.
    Gazillion has said they are planning long term for this game, and are invested to make years of updates.
  64. Oct 7, 2013
    the story's good but so far it's short the difficulty modes that come after the normal one are more challenging though. but, if you hate to grind, then this game ain't the game you seek :P. with the recent updates now everyone can get a hero (if they farm for it ofc without the need to pay real money. may be more entertaining on harder difficulties and with a couple of friends. ithe story's good but so far it's short the difficulty modes that come after the normal one are more challenging though. but, if you hate to grind, then this game ain't the game you seek :P. with the recent updates now everyone can get a hero (if they farm for it ofc without the need to pay real money. may be more entertaining on harder difficulties and with a couple of friends. i repeat, there is a lot of grinding and ,in my opinion, gets dull pretty fast. Expand
  65. Oct 9, 2013
    An interesting story, decent graphics and TONS of unlockables both for free (or for small fees for the impatient) make this a very fun game. It does have somewhat lackluster chat functions, though it gets the job done. Lacking the ability to inspect other players or link items via chat make talking about builds and gearing in-game rather difficult. There are several other small detailsAn interesting story, decent graphics and TONS of unlockables both for free (or for small fees for the impatient) make this a very fun game. It does have somewhat lackluster chat functions, though it gets the job done. Lacking the ability to inspect other players or link items via chat make talking about builds and gearing in-game rather difficult. There are several other small details that seem rather lacking, but their continuing work on the game, catchy gameplay, and host of unlockables make this a game to come back to over and over! Expand
  66. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is entertaining as heck for a free to play game. I've been playing since launch and i love it. The devs in the game update the game every couple weeks to keep you hooked. This game has evolved since launch and needs to be re-reviewed from metacritic to do it justice. Keep it up team Gaz!
  67. Nov 4, 2013
    The game has come a long way since the days of early Beta and Release. The development team updates the game every week. They also listen to player feedback and base a lot of the change off of that feedback. Virtually everything in the game can be obtained just by playing the game. They do have a cash shop where you can purchase flavor items (costumes for heroes and stuff) but all theThe game has come a long way since the days of early Beta and Release. The development team updates the game every week. They also listen to player feedback and base a lot of the change off of that feedback. Virtually everything in the game can be obtained just by playing the game. They do have a cash shop where you can purchase flavor items (costumes for heroes and stuff) but all the items in the cash shop are cosmetic or convenience based, and not needed to play any aspect of the game.

It may not be your cup of tea if you are looking to customize your hero, or if you are looking for other typical MMO features. Or if you like to take selfies of yourself wearing sunglasses in your car. But it is 100% free to play. So why not give it a try. You have nothing to lose.
  68. Nov 5, 2013
    The game has changed a lot since its released and all thanks to Gazillions.

The game is constantly improving with each patch and game reviewers should look at it again. With new heroes to become available every month, the upcoming Asgard patch is something to look out for since it adds additional depth and story to what is currently a much improved game. Diablo 3's up and coming
    The game has changed a lot since its released and all thanks to Gazillions.

Diablo 3's up and coming changes are all patterned to what Marvel Heroes has already on its table.

The developers and community makes the game more enticing for the hard-core gamers and new comers alike. PVP is ready for its re-launch with the upcoming patch.
  69. Nov 25, 2013
    the game is great and getting better all the time you can play it totally free or spend if you wish people who gave it a bad review i urge to check into it again cause it has only gotten better since release and those who love it i hope you continue to love it
  70. Dec 12, 2013
    I chose to play this game, even though all the reviews told me not too. I'm pretty happy. The game isn't pay to win, I don't have to pay anything. I also play PoE with my friends, and cosmetically the pricing is on par. Costume is like $10, a animation in PoE is $10.

One thing in arpgs is the stash space. Now, for $5 I get like 40 something stash stash slots, and by default I walk around with 48 inventory slots. Every item takes up 1 slot, and crafting mats stack, mostly everything stacks.

Now in PoE and other FTP games, the walking around inventory space is much much smaller than this game. Items take up like 8 boxes in PoE, I can't enjoy the game if I keep teleporting back, something that I don't need to do as often in this game.

The price for space is way cheaper and I don't have to bundle game currency and be left "extra left over". i can spend the $5 and get the exact amount.

I like this game because It has a very big roster. Each hero plays like the counterpart and sounds like it, looks like it.

Overall, the optimization needs to be tuned. The game size is pretty big. I enjoy playing it and you should give it a try.
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    Man, these reviews are old. The game really did a 180, someone gave it a 3 because he got banned? a 0 because it doesn't play like WoW? lol, dear lord. This is why it's a 10.

Right so, optimization and game size. Biggest concerns, biggest challenge for game. Now, it's fun as hell. It's an addicting game, you'll play at 8pm and suddenly it's 3 am. I love the voice acting, because it's

Now, it's fun as hell. It's an addicting game, you'll play at 8pm and suddenly it's 3 am. I love the voice acting, because it's the actual people from the games/shows. The lines these characters say are brilliant. "aren't you cold", to a almost naked emma frost. "Hey, watch where you're going" to a blind dare devil.

I like the game, and it should entertain you for a long time FOR FREE
  72. Dec 12, 2013
    It's a good free game, that you don't have to pay expansions for. So like I beat the story to Asgard. If I come back in a month, they add more acts, something like D3 would charge you for. So, That's what i'm doing. It's a good time sink, it's great to play if you has no monies.
  73. Dec 12, 2013
    All the 10's are bull all the 0's are bull Giving it a 10, becuase the 0's make no sense what so ever, and people are giving 10's to counter balance the raging flame on people have with this game not being a WoW clone.

This is a arpg, loot fest, statistical upgrade. It does what it's supposed to and it's got like all the marvel characters in it, that I can unlock for free!. What game is letting me do that atm? I'd get lucky to get charged $15 to unlock a portion of story mode in other games
  74. Dec 12, 2013
    This game deserves a 58 meta score as much as the new Hobbit deserves a 39 score. Reviews are sin, and it makes people's ego explode.

Be smart, for yourself. If a game is offering it's services for free. Take it and judge it for yourself.
  75. Dec 12, 2013
    Play a free game and find out. Honestly, when I boot this game up on steam and see that score. I just shake my head. There should be a rule to mmo's who update very often. No it doesn't deserve this score and the game does everything it can to make it "super free" for you. Including giving you 250G free for reaching level 15, and you get to buy a crafting tab FOR FREE.
  76. Dec 12, 2013
    If you look at the recent negative reviews, people complaining they're getting silenced for an opinion. Is the same as a meth head, who gets arrested for public nudity. I assure you these people were not being polite or using rational thinking. If you give feedback the game changes.

Game let people level faster, gave you free g's. Lowered some prices. Gave a free random hero if you beat the story. Free expansion. Don't listen to bull It's a free game, download it and decide for yourself.
  77. Jan 18, 2014
    its amazing its FPS is good There are so many skills SO MANY PEOPLE TO HAVE FRIENDS WITH its a AMAZING GAME if you are a fan of super hero's like me i like iron man the most.
  78. Dec 16, 2013
    6 months of polish, big christmas patch coming up. Prices are reasonable to other FTP games. It's fun playing heroes you watched on the T.V. Worth a shot for free, totally free game.
  79. Dec 26, 2013
    This is Diablo 2 LoD with super heroes
    You start with 1 free hero, so choose carefully but you can pickup eternity splinters ingame to unlock other heroes.
    This is Diablo 2 LoD with super heroes

I never played its rocky launch, but started in dec 2013 and this is the same fun i had with D2 LoD. Heroes are fleshed out with great skills, synergies with other heroes and loot. lotsa loot. Deep skill trees that can be re-spec if you make a mistake you are not stuck with gimped characters. Cookie cutter builds dont exist, all heroes have variety in their builds and Gazillion review each hero regularly.

i give 9/10 only because you are locked into the starter hero, but careful choice and this is a non issue.

If you loved Diablo2, and think D3 missed the mark, then Marvel Heroes will quench your thirst.
  80. Jan 7, 2014
    Marvel Heroes is a ton of fun. I didn't start playing until December, and from what I understand the game has undergone some drastic changes for the better since it launched six months prior. The F2P aspect isn't intrusive, you can totally play for free and earn new characters and gear without ever spending any money. The microtransactions portion of the game is restricted to costumes andMarvel Heroes is a ton of fun. I didn't start playing until December, and from what I understand the game has undergone some drastic changes for the better since it launched six months prior. The F2P aspect isn't intrusive, you can totally play for free and earn new characters and gear without ever spending any money. The microtransactions portion of the game is restricted to costumes and convenience such as extra bank space. Frequent updates and good communication from the developers at Gazillion are a welcome change from previous MMO's I have played, and they have the Marvel contract for the next ten years so the game isn't going anywhere anytime soon! Give it a shot, a competent Diablo clone with MMO elements to it. Expand
  81. Jan 16, 2014
    This game had a bad start, but this is the best hack & slash action mmo you can find, at the moment. They are evolving every day and it gets better and better. There should be new reviews all over the gaming sites. This game deserves a try, even more than Path of Exile.
  82. Jan 18, 2014
    Between Diablo III and Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes surprisingly takes the cake as my favorite ARPG right now. The amount of support and improvement that the developers are crafting for this game is mind blowing. Continuously improving everything that was wrong with the game on launch makes this title very promising. Tons of variety with different heroes, game modes, and ways to play withBetween Diablo III and Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes surprisingly takes the cake as my favorite ARPG right now. The amount of support and improvement that the developers are crafting for this game is mind blowing. Continuously improving everything that was wrong with the game on launch makes this title very promising. Tons of variety with different heroes, game modes, and ways to play with friends, makes this game top notch. As a free title, I'd highly recommend checking it out. I've spent way more money on this game than I ever thought I would, and I'm very proud to do so! Expand
  83. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is improving over time. I have been playing it off an on since it was released and I find myself enjoying it more every patch. I just recently spent about $20 dollars to buy a couple of heroes to add to the three that I have gotten in game and am pretty happy with them so far. Looking forward to the content adn tweaks they are regularly adding.
  84. Jan 30, 2014
    This game had a terrible start, with several bugs, a messy interface, lack of content, pricey heroes and costumes which were near impossible to get in game and drove a lot of fans of both Marvel and Diablo 2 franchises away.
    Like 5 months after the launch of Marvel Heroes I received an email and curiously checked it out and I saw that Gambit has been released and a lot of content had been added. Since I love Gambit I decided, what the heck, might as well give it another try to check things out.
    I have to say that the game improved A LOT since the release, a lot of content, heroes and UI features, guilds, extra end game content such as more terminals, X Defense which is kinda like tower defense and an open city mode in which you face huge packs of enemies and bosses, they also added a PvP mode with a design similar to a MOBA but it's currently in open beta and more important, they continued the main story line adding extra campaigns for players, the game felt more alive and less stale. Checking the forums I could notice Gazillion was communicating with it's player base in attempts of mending and patching the game. I believe that when the players try to meddle too much with the development of a game it ends up being more harmful to the game than beneficial, but Gazillion pretty much communicate every decision they do with the player base in lengthy and detailed patch notes and forum posts without giving in to absurd player demands. With that in mind let me give my feedback regarding the game's aspects.

Graphics: The Graphics are pretty nice, they're not on the same level of let's say, Diablo 3, but they're not bad and the heroes and enemies feel nice to see, the combat animation and effects also feels nice to see, specially the signature moves and ultimate moves. In general it's pretty decent

Sound: The music is for most of the time pretty bland and you probably barely noticed it, it doesn't give you any impact, I like the. Some voice overs are good and others don't seem to fit the characters very well.

Game play: The game offer dozens of heroes to pick from and each one gives you different ways to play, for example, sometimes you can play as a ranged attacker, a melee or a tank or a mix between ranged and melee game plays thanks to the power trees(similar to the old World of Warcraft talent system), lots of artifacts and legendary weapons to choose from also contribute to help you build your play style. Gazillion is always tuning the heroes and changing their game play when needed offering you a better point of view in a hero you avoided because you didn't get invested too much on it. There is also a lot of modes to help you farm gear and level your hero, and leveling and fighting is very fun to do in this game and actually addictive. The Campaign is really fun and story and lore you get from the game are pretty entertaining and interesting, the heroes interact with each others sometimes by saying some funny lines. You can also synergy passive abilities you get from your high level heroes with another heroes to give you some boost in game, and it varies from a lot of things such as an improved rare item drop chance to more healing from when you defeat an enemy.

Re-playability: With a current roster of 22 heroes and more heroes on the way the game offer several types of different game plays for when you feel you want to start fresh. There is also a lot of content to do during and when you reach max level such as finishing your legendary weapon quest or farming gear or heroes through the different modes the game offer you. An extra feature this game has is the possiblity of prestiging an Hero. With this you can reboot your hero from lvl 60 to lvl 1 and level up all over again but each time you prestige your game name will have a different color so the other players can see how you dedicated yourself over an hero. An improvement Gazillion made was removing the old method to acquire a new hero and adding to the game a currency called Eternity Splinter's, with it you can buy several heroes and items and they drop often. The game offer you a lot to keep you entertained playing it.

Final verdict: As a review from the game in it's actual state I can firmly say the game won't disappoint fans of ARPGs and the Marvel Universe. The Cash Shop model might scare some players away but lot of the content in there can be acquire with currency in game. I believe it's score can stand solid between a 75 and an 82.
  85. May 22, 2014
    The game is a lot of fun. It had a rocky start but things seem to be smoothing out. I really like all the different modes they have and scenarios. If you want a fun game to burn some time on this one is for you.
  86. Feb 7, 2014
    I'm having an absolute blast playing this game right now. I've heard the horror stories of its launch but I can honestly say the game is extremely polished, looks great, and is a lot of fun to play for a free title. The game really captures the essence of Marvel Comics as well, which is great for any fan of the comics or movies. The micro transactions are extremely tempting but can alsoI'm having an absolute blast playing this game right now. I've heard the horror stories of its launch but I can honestly say the game is extremely polished, looks great, and is a lot of fun to play for a free title. The game really captures the essence of Marvel Comics as well, which is great for any fan of the comics or movies. The micro transactions are extremely tempting but can also be very pricey in my opinion. If you are fan of action role playing games and the Marvel Universe, you have to give this game a shot. Ignore all the negative reviews from launch, this game has come a long way in just a few months and the developers are showing they are dedicated to improving the game going forward. Expand
  87. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is tremendously fun. I recommend this to everyone. Has the perfect mix of an action RPG with a MMO. The game had a rocky start but since then the game has been growing and the numbers of players increasing quickly. Includes your favourite heroes and villians from the comics and if not? It oughta be comin' in the next few years. The dev team are extremly dedicated to the game andThis game is tremendously fun. I recommend this to everyone. Has the perfect mix of an action RPG with a MMO. The game had a rocky start but since then the game has been growing and the numbers of players increasing quickly. Includes your favourite heroes and villians from the comics and if not? It oughta be comin' in the next few years. The dev team are extremly dedicated to the game and the forums are delightful to go on with very little trolls and haters. The game has fantastic movie tie-ins including the recent Thor the Dark World movie. When you start off, the game provides you with a wide variety of heroes to choose from to add to your roster to start your adventure. The meta-score for this game is tremendously outdated and should be updated. Expand
  88. Apr 21, 2014
    If you're a fan of the comics and you like games like Diablo, then you'll find hours and hours of fun in Marvel Heroes, This game give you to many fun , play it now and take your favorite heroe.
  89. May 6, 2014
    The game has improved tremendously over time. Don't let outdated negative reviews scare you from trying the game. After all, it's free to try it out! Truly a fun, addictive game that has really grown. The developers are responsive, and they often directly incorporate player feedback from the forums to improve the game. The roster is huge, and with at least one new hero to play every month,The game has improved tremendously over time. Don't let outdated negative reviews scare you from trying the game. After all, it's free to try it out! Truly a fun, addictive game that has really grown. The developers are responsive, and they often directly incorporate player feedback from the forums to improve the game. The roster is huge, and with at least one new hero to play every month, there is no shortage of things to do. Give it a chance and you might be surprised! Expand
  90. May 19, 2014
    I've always been a fan of MMO's. I initially invested in Marvel Heroes as a business opportunity. At the time, I was working at a well-known consulting firm, and I was in contact with Gazillion's, David Brevik, and I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to know more about the company, and their soon to be launched, Marvel Heroes game. I decided to make a $199 purchase in theI've always been a fan of MMO's. I initially invested in Marvel Heroes as a business opportunity. At the time, I was working at a well-known consulting firm, and I was in contact with Gazillion's, David Brevik, and I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to know more about the company, and their soon to be launched, Marvel Heroes game. I decided to make a $199 purchase in the "Ultimate Founders Pack", which included all initial characters, costumes, a few pending Characters, and much more.

Those who purchased any of the 'Founders Packs' were entitled to early game access , unfortunately, their time was cut short, due to issues with the game's launch, which put the server offline for a few days. Gazillion Entertainment dropped the ball...there's not an easy way to put it; they failed to meet the consumer expectations, which, unfortunately, was not a good first impression. Even though the expectation went unmet, I was generously given in-game credit ( a lot, I might add) for the inconvenience.

I decided to write this comment because I felt that the current "Metascore" (58) doesn't seem like a fair score... I would say it would be more like average score of 70/100. (I gave it a 10)

I don't represent Gazillion. In fact, I never ended up doing business with them. But my experience playing Marvel Heroes has been positive thus far.

For those of you who have played this game, I have Eight level 60 characters (some with Legendary lvl 5's), and a whole lot of 30, 40, and 50's. I have over 700 hours documented on Steam (I don't know how accurate that is). I also purchased the Deluxe Advanced package, which was another $129, which includes another set of characters, and in-game items.

Like any MMO, you get to a point that it just becomes repetitive, and you keep playing to get better loot. You can get through the entire storyline of Marvel by level 25-30, or so, and then you can increase the difficulty. Aren't most games like that anyway? The only negative experience that I have would be the PVP area... What a great way to teach humility.. it's a great place to learn that your character was not as tough as you thought he/she was.

The good thing is, they are constantly adding new content to the game, and are ALWAYS giving free stuff away. YES, you can play the entire game for free and have a chance to play any character you want at no cost to you. For the anti-Capitalists out there, I'm sorry, but It DOES cost in-game currency to have cheese with your wine. Gazillion is a business and they need to make money. It's nice to know that they are contracted with Marvel for 10 years, so I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon! Gazillion hasn't been perfect, but feel they act on the feedback they've been given by the fan base.
  91. May 21, 2014
    I read some negative reviews when it first launched and threw it in the "never going to play it" pile. I've been a little bored lately and decided to give it go and I'm pretty happy that I did.

PROS: - Fun ARPG that makes you feel like a bad ass. - Gets updated monthly with new heroes/content - They rework heroes every so often so there is communication between dev and players. -

PROS:
    - Fun ARPG that makes you feel like a bad ass.
    - Gets updated monthly with new heroes/content
    - Plenty of Loot and varying systems to help min/max characters.
    -Plenty of content (some critics have complained that there isn't enough, but if you enjoyed D2 there is WAY more than enough content to enjoy)
    - Terminals (mini instances of previous levels with varying difficulties)
    - Challenges (Horde like modes where you clear wave after wave)
    - Story ( It's similar to diablo - three difficulties)
    - (upcoming) they will be adding raid type instances that require groups of 10 to complete.

CONS:
    - They only give you a couple of heroes to pick from to start, so if you don't like any of them it may take awhile before you earn enough ES(Eternity Splinters) to buy another champ for free.
    -I'd say the grind for ES is similar to games like LOL with about 20-30hrs of playing to obtain another a hero.
    - You only get one stash to start out with and you get ALOT of loot so you'll most likely need to purchase another.

All in all if you're a fan of Marvel and you're looking for a fun ARPG to play then I'd highly recommend it.
  92. May 25, 2014
    After having played D3 RoS and PoE, i decided to give this game a try and I was very pleased. It's fun for me, the graphics are good, the effects as well. The diversity of builds exists.

I see people are complaining about spending cash for this and that ... well you don't have to, to enjoy the game. Would you rather spend 40 EUR on RoS and get bored in a week? Blizzard was far greedier... yet nobody cares.

You say the developers act like they wanna communicate, well at least they do. You directly talk to them rather than deal with the same 3-4 hired ppl that answer with pre-written templates.

To be honest anyone that likes these types of games should try it for themselves. The negative reviews look so biased and made up, it amazes me.

Hell the game is f2p, it's supposed to get cash from somewhere, hence the strive to get your money, but that also makes the developers put more effort, rather than charge 40 bucks, get your money and leave you hanging.
  93. May 29, 2014
    What can change in a year? In the case of Marvel Heroes the answer is: "Quite a bit." As evidenced by the reviews here, this game had a pretty rough start. I myself started playing a month after it went live. It was interesting, but after getting to around level 30 I gradually stopped. I might've rated it a 5, it was still fairly entertaining, but it definitely needed improvements, andWhat can change in a year? In the case of Marvel Heroes the answer is: "Quite a bit." As evidenced by the reviews here, this game had a pretty rough start. I myself started playing a month after it went live. It was interesting, but after getting to around level 30 I gradually stopped. I might've rated it a 5, it was still fairly entertaining, but it definitely needed improvements, and improve it has.

I started playing the game again in late November and found that a lot had changed in the scant few months since I stopped playing. As of the time of this review, here is a summary of things that have changed in Marvel Heroes over the year since its release:

Systems Changes - Damage, defense, dodge, enemy AI and abilities, the terminal system, and much more have been overhauled.

New Story and Raids - Chapter 9 has been added and focuses on Norway and Asgard and features Kurse, Loki, and soon, Surtur and his minions (he is the first 10-man raid's final boss).

Heroic and Superheroic - Two new difficulties were implemented, scaling enemies and difficulty up so you can progress 1-60 in the story mode.

52 Reviews - A reworking of the launch heroes so their power progression ends at 52 with the Ultimate power, along with other refinements.

Stats Overhaul - New system lets you stack as much of a stat as possible, for example every Strength point gives you +4% Physical Damage, +4% Thrown Object Damage, and 1% Reduced cost for Physical powers.

Synergy - At levels 25 and 50 a hero unlocks their synergies which can be used on all your heroes. (For example, Gambit gives you credit find and rare item find) There is also experience synergy, every hero at level 30 gives 1%, an additional 2% at 50, and an additional 3% at 60 for a total of 5% bonus experience per maxed out hero. You can get up to 200% experience synergy, The first 4 heroes you level to 60 will give you massive boosts, 30%, 20%, 15%, 10%, for a total of 75% from just maxing out 4 characters.

New Item Types - Uniques (items from Marvel lore with set stats), Legendary Items (a new item slot that levels up as you gain experience), Cosmic Items (a step between Epics and Uniques with Cosmic affixes), Relics (a new slot that are random drops that stack up to 1,000 and give stats like + HP, + Defense), Rings (a new gear slot that can also be Cosmic), Uru-Forge/Runes/Runewords (Uru-Forged are like 'socketed' items that you put Runewords onto), Team Insignias (random affixes and flavorful stats, such as Nick Fury's summoning in SHIELD agents when you or teammates using med kits), and lots of new artifacts including ones that only drop off certain bosses, like the Gem of the Kursed from Kurse terminals.

Expanded Inventory - A recent update increased the default inventory space by 20 slots, and gave everyone 30 slots on the Team-Up UI, even if you don't have a Team-Up.

Eternity Splinters - Instead of characters being random drops you can now find Eternity Splinters, roughly every 6-8 minutes. These can be found as 1 splinter, 2 splinters, 5 splinters, or 10 splinters, and supposedly can even stack for a total of 18 or however much it can go to. (You also get these as log-in rewards quite often during events, as well as getting 200 when you go through the story mode for the first time) These can be used to buy any hero in the game at varying costs; a Random Hero box for 175 (can be any hero, even one you own), and specific heroes cost different tiers: 200/400/600 splinters.

Team-Ups - These are similar to mercenaries and can be set into 3 distinct mods: always active, big impact 30s summon, passive benefits with 30s summon.

Legendary Quests - Unlocked at level 20, these give you Odin Marks used to purchase Legendary items and Blessings, which enchant your artifacts. You can go from 20-60 just doing these alone as they give quite a bit of experience and are infinitely repeatable.

Cosmic Terminals - Difficult, level 60 dungeons, have the option to clear the 'trash' mobs for guaranteed Cosmic Chests, which have high chances of dropping Cosmic items.

Challenge Modes - X-Defense (Wave-based mode for up to 5 players), Midtown Patrol (Infinite enemies and bosses every 3 min), Holo-SIm (Wave-based survival for 1-2 players)

One-Shots - Meant to tell a story separate from the main plot, the first one, Wakandan Mines, was recently released with many more to come. These will tackle comic storylines such as the Daredevil Shadowland story.

New Heroes - There have been 13 and counting new characters added to the game, By this time next year at least 13 more will be added.

Future content they are working on includes: 10-man Raids, Endless Dungeons (randomized tilesets), Randomized Terminals (like Maps from PoE/Torchlight), more story content, a free 'expansion' of some sort, the Omega system (Alternate Advancement/Badass Ranks/paragon on steroids), Shared/Daily quests, Achievements, Login Reward system, and much more.
  94. Jun 4, 2014
    Do you like Diablo 2? Do you like the Marvel Comic Universe? If you said yes to either, you'll enjoy this game. Try it out, it's free to play after-all. The game features 8 Chapters in the storyline, and a few other modes for grindy killing. The re-playability comes with the heroes. There are currently over 30 and atleast 1 new character is added per month. Which brings me to whatDo you like Diablo 2? Do you like the Marvel Comic Universe? If you said yes to either, you'll enjoy this game. Try it out, it's free to play after-all. The game features 8 Chapters in the storyline, and a few other modes for grindy killing. The re-playability comes with the heroes. There are currently over 30 and atleast 1 new character is added per month. Which brings me to what separates this game from the other Action RPGS - the development team. It is the strength of this game. These guys consistently churn out more content than any other game I've ever played. They actually made me want to spend a bit of money on this product. There's a new event nearly every week. They really care about the future of this game and it shows.

I might sound like I'm preaching, but the development team wants to win you over, and they will if you let them. Give it a shot - like I said it's free, you have nothing to lose.
  95. Jun 6, 2014
    This game was pretty bad when it came out. I bought in with a founders pack and was sad but stuck with it because i knew that the designers wouldn't leave it this way. After a year it has made leaps and bounds to come back up with my favorite ARPG since D2LOD. I play daily, and the game makes me want to spend money, not forces me to. I will say Vault/Stash space is the only thing i guessThis game was pretty bad when it came out. I bought in with a founders pack and was sad but stuck with it because i knew that the designers wouldn't leave it this way. After a year it has made leaps and bounds to come back up with my favorite ARPG since D2LOD. I play daily, and the game makes me want to spend money, not forces me to. I will say Vault/Stash space is the only thing i guess you could consider a wall, but thats because they just give you so much cool stuff you don't want to sell/throw away. Expand
  96. Jun 7, 2014
    This by and far the best ARPG currently on the market and is a ton of fun. Many of the Heroes are fairly unique and can all be obtained for free with enough playing . My favorite is Ms. Marvel whose an absolute beast and is one of the if not the best playable Hero in game.

Recently we've gotten things like Raids and One-Shots which serve to give players more options and an End-Game which other ARPGS have failed to properly provide!

The staff here host many events over the year and the Omega System is pretty rad!

My only concern is that Team-Ups need a tune up and should be made unkillable when you summon them so that they can be brought into high end content over simply making them passive.

1. games(TM)
    Jul 28, 2013
    There's the hollow shell of a game. [Issue#137, p.116]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Under-delivers on the promise of the licence. A middling action-RPG that you’d have to be a Marvel fan to love.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    At the end of the day, though, these few good points don’t make up for the flaws with what should be the most important elements of a game like this - the combat and the loot grind - and an overall lack of polish. Being free to play, you don’t lose out on anything but 15 odd gigabytes of your data cap if you want to give Marvel Heroes a go, but with that said, it’s hard to recommend this game over the other free to play lootfests that are around.