Marvel Heroes PC

6.7

1. Jun 6, 2013
    People have been so impatient with this game and so spoiled. It is a hell of a lot of fun. The way I see it, $60 buys me a AAA game that lasts 6-8 hours. $20 buys me my favourite Marvel hero (in this case Thor) who I've been playing for over 20 hours. The graphics are detailed and colourful, and the skills always make you feel incredibly strong. You will find yourself getting lost justPeople have been so impatient with this game and so spoiled. It is a hell of a lot of fun. The way I see it, $60 buys me a AAA game that lasts 6-8 hours. $20 buys me my favourite Marvel hero (in this case Thor) who I've been playing for over 20 hours. The graphics are detailed and colourful, and the skills always make you feel incredibly strong. You will find yourself getting lost just running around with random people killing everything on the screen, not even talking to them, just happily killing together. It's a refreshing experience, I would say AT LEAST try it! It's free! Expand
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    don't let the critic reviews done last June fool you. what started out as a poorly-optimized Diablo-wannabe is now an Action RPG legend in matter of 3 months, thanks to the 1.11 patch. while it is F2P, those who will be hooked to the game will be forced to pay extra for additional storage space, characters (unless one plays endlessly to collect Eternity Splinters), and costumes.

my only

my only concern is that the game is too utopian with gamers usually getting what they want from the programmers, constantly patching up the game for stronger characters. there's no distinction on who's more skilled in playing or build-making, just a bunch of players with cookie-cutter builds per character that kill enemies solely for the sake of rare items.
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    I am having a blast with this game, its free I chose the Colossus player and he simply destroys everything its so much fin seeing him fly into action and destroy everything on the screen. I have been playing this a lot on Steam, Lots of drops, lots of fun, if you like Diablo Torchlight top down, and Marvel then you need to play this game. I played back when it first went online in 2013 andI am having a blast with this game, its free I chose the Colossus player and he simply destroys everything its so much fin seeing him fly into action and destroy everything on the screen. I have been playing this a lot on Steam, Lots of drops, lots of fun, if you like Diablo Torchlight top down, and Marvel then you need to play this game. I played back when it first went online in 2013 and it was ok, the players you choose from did stink. But now they opened it up and there is like 10 you get to choose from. Of course I had to create a new account but I am enjoying it a lot. If you did play it its worth trying it out again. It is much better and they are constantly updating it and tweaking it. Loads of fun!!! You got nothing to lose its FREE!!!! I took one point off because of lack of customization. I like RPG's where you add a piece of armor and you can visually see your character change. In this game adding better levels of loot/armor only changes your stats. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    As far as free-to-play MMOs go Marvel Heroes has the biggest potential. The gameplay is your standard brawler and has a focus on loot collecting. Admittedly this kind of gameplay has been done many times before ever since the Diablo series made it popular, but the fact that you get to play as your favorite Marvel super-heroes keeps it entertaining. The game can get really laggy at timesAs far as free-to-play MMOs go Marvel Heroes has the biggest potential. The gameplay is your standard brawler and has a focus on loot collecting. Admittedly this kind of gameplay has been done many times before ever since the Diablo series made it popular, but the fact that you get to play as your favorite Marvel super-heroes keeps it entertaining. The game can get really laggy at times which is sad because when things are running smoothly the character animations look fantastic. It's got a pretty lengthy campaign which mainly focuses on taking you to different locations set in the Marvel universe to fight super villains all while sporting a poorly written plot. The endgame content focuses more on daily challenges and the PVP arena. It feels sort of relaxing to reach the endgame and spend the rest of your time trying to max out your character. At any time you can play as a different super hero, which you can either pay real money for or hope to get in a loot drop, and start back from scratch. Admittedly the Marvel theme helps this game a lot. Without it this would just be another generic brawler. But the fact that it uses famous organizations, locations, and characters from the Marvel universe will keep any Marvel fan invested in it. It being free-to-play also cushions the blow. So if you're a fan of Marvel's proud history you owe it to yourself to check out this free-to-play gem. Just keep in mind it has got some light issues. Expand
  5. Aug 5, 2013
    After 350+ hours and 50 dollars spent I'm done. I have a higher end gaming system, play multiple MMOs and have over 200 games on Steam that not share the baffling performance issues that this game has even after "Major performance increases". I drop to 2-3 fps in busier zones constantly making the game unplayable. Their patches add more costumes for sale and heroes on top of a system thatAfter 350+ hours and 50 dollars spent I'm done. I have a higher end gaming system, play multiple MMOs and have over 200 games on Steam that not share the baffling performance issues that this game has even after "Major performance increases". I drop to 2-3 fps in busier zones constantly making the game unplayable. Their patches add more costumes for sale and heroes on top of a system that is completely broken due to the defense mechanic being completely inadequate for any character. Many classes have fundamental issues like low spirit, spirit consumption so their talent builds are forced to invest in them. Itemization is meant to fill holes in these same weaknesses which leaves you with a character that's already half decided for you yet gives you this illusion of "full customization". Spirit the main resource works against in this game because the regen mechanic simply punishes you for using it. You will inevitably run out and use weak and boring basic powers while it slowly refills or if you are lucky enough to play a class that has a strong basic attack you will just spend your spirit on micromanaging boring aspects and rarely spend spirit. Either way that's just a boring play style in a genre that has always prided itself on fast and frantic gameplay.

Leveling is completely boring because the game changes it's idea on how you are supposed to level every week. In the end it's always running the same map over and over, and not really in the same rewarding sense of doing "boss runs" in other games because the itemization is just flat boring. They added a higher tier of gear called "cosmics" but it's simply the same drab gear with 1 skills and a random effect that really only disjoints the character's aesthetics even further by summoning demons randomly or a random damage proc. These are cool, but it doesn't make sense when the game leaves me with a less than adequate way of developing my character for survival or functionality and just adds to this to an already random chance system of progression. The maps are just completely boring and do not have very many encounters and the bosses are generally cannon fodder with unnecessary health pools. In the larger zones there are many enemies and bosses spawning, but the chaos really serves no purpose other than walking around killing things. Even though there are other people around you, everyone is generally unorganized because the goals of the zones are not very clear other "do what you want". I suppose that's enough for an ARPG fan and I'd rather enjoy this, but it's impossible when you simply cannot keep a stable frame rate.

Recently I had to download a patch 3 times. 5 gigs per download because they issued a patch, rolled it back, then repatched it again and forced the client to download all of this. The game is only 12 gigs total, so I spent over 36 hours and 3 days simply downloading before I could even play the game in any shape or form. Not everyone has an amazing internet connection.

The forum community has now devolved into nothing but over-supportive people that trash complaints about all of these things at the mere mention of any type of negativity towards the game or it's developers, so issues that have persisted since the game has launched are still there.

The only saving grace for the game is they switched to a system where you can earn your characters simply by playing... this really doesn't give a free pass for the rest of the game being completely average. This is not the replacement for Diablo 2. This isn't even the replacement for Torchlight II. Path of Exile and even Diablo 3 offer better and less frustrating experiences despite their issues. The sad thing is this game has better ideas and a better foundation, but unfortunately the Marvel license and usage of it to create the games "classes" will only create bottlenecked classes that are glued to very specific ideas and they will also have to operate with the restrictive mechanics the gameplay design has placed on them. The result is just simply disappointing and I hoped for better, but I no longer have the patience to enjoy it and I will never recommend this over other ARPGS for it is barely average.
  6. May 5, 2014
    It's a fun enough ARPG. It doesn't have a lot of content. You'll replay the entire game with each character about 3 times (3 difficulty levels, but the same levels) or do a lot some arena style grinding. _PROs_: It IS free to play. You can unlock other heroes and add sidekicks through in game rewards ('splinters'). Every month or so it seems like they have a free hero code they give out.It's a fun enough ARPG. It doesn't have a lot of content. You'll replay the entire game with each character about 3 times (3 difficulty levels, but the same levels) or do a lot some arena style grinding. _PROs_: It IS free to play. You can unlock other heroes and add sidekicks through in game rewards ('splinters'). Every month or so it seems like they have a free hero code they give out. The game looks nice, and plays well.

The CONS: 1)) You get 1 time splinter gifts to your account, but after that it is a GRIND to get more. An active player (dropping many foes) gets one about every 6-8 minutes. So it takes about 30 hours of gameplay for the 200 splinters to afford the lowest end heroes. More popular heroes cost 400 or 600. You can buy a random hero for 175, which most ppl do, but they are weighed to the low end heroes, and you can get useless duplicates. Really, really frustrating, but the alternative is too expensive.

CON 2)) Almost every hero plays the same. Hawkeye, Storm and Cyclops have strong punch attacks that ppl often use in their skill configs. Everyone has some kind of Charge / rush attack, melee, range attack, buff and DoT (damage over time). It just takes the fun out of playing a new hero, when Cyclops is beating up bad guys with his fists just like Hulk, Thing and Thor. The mobs have the same problem; armored robots, demons and common street punks are just as easy to drop.

Other cons - the dialog is 70's era cheesy, unlike the movies and comics of today. In large fights, it's hard to see past other player's graphic power effects or all the trash loot carpeting the play area. There are tons of collectibles in game that have no use, and there's limited space to put them - UNLESS you want to start spending money on quality of life enhancements to the game. Also, there is no ingame trading, which makes sense for Gazillion because then you wouldn't have to pay for items you could trade for.

So - if you play for a long time, you'll basically be grinding in the same game over and over, trying to get more interesting heroes, deciding whether is worth paying (like so many ppl do) $100's of dollars to unlock vanity stuff like a few costumes, and struggling with a bizarre, awkward crafting system and little storage space.

Game designers absolutely deserve to have a business model that encourages you to pay for stuff you want, and there's a LOT to pay for. And it's expensive. I'd advise you to try the game, but promise yourself not to spend anything until you are sure you want to keep playing for a long time, then maybe give yourself a reward if you still like the game.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    Good enjoyable game. Heroes have certain roles that those fill tank, support and so on. Power levels of heroes also varies each have their own unique play style. Compared to Diablo 3 game is f2p unless you want all characters or play certain one. I have seen loads of about prices of heroes well no one is forcing you to buy anything. Downside in this game is some issues with performanceGood enjoyable game. Heroes have certain roles that those fill tank, support and so on. Power levels of heroes also varies each have their own unique play style. Compared to Diablo 3 game is f2p unless you want all characters or play certain one. I have seen loads of about prices of heroes well no one is forcing you to buy anything. Downside in this game is some issues with performance example lagging but that is what i expect from games that are mmo. Perhaps this is savior for this genre after drastic failure of Diablo 3. Game actually has skill tree like old good Diablo 2 and skills have effect on game. Not like in in Diablo 3 one combination is best rest are crap. Expand
  8. Aug 3, 2013
    Obviously, game itself is not too bad, but just not yet completed as commercial level, especially for those who bought founders packages.

Real problem of this game is its devs and testing teams. They look like never test before release, so every single big patch brings chaos to the existing game because of very simple, obvious bugs which can be prevented if they did test properly. If

If you want to "Enjoy" the game, you'd better to wait a year to stabilize this incomplete game. Though, I think this game will be messed up before that.
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    I have been playing this game for just over 3 months now in closed beta and I must say that it is a blast to play. If you liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends and Diablo, then you will probably like this game. All the heroes are fun to use and, for the most part, combat is exciting and fast paced. The combat is pretty smooth and the abilities have nice particle effects. TheI have been playing this game for just over 3 months now in closed beta and I must say that it is a blast to play. If you liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends and Diablo, then you will probably like this game. All the heroes are fun to use and, for the most part, combat is exciting and fast paced. The combat is pretty smooth and the abilities have nice particle effects. The loot is pretty good and the itemization is much better than D3 at launch and they are in the process of implementing new loot in the near future. This is a F2P game, so expect to spend money if you want a specific hero or costume right now... but all that content drops for free in game if you are lucky.

In conclusion, this is a F2P game that will be changing and improving as time goes on. If you love the Marvel license and Diablo, give it a shot... you have nothing to lose, but hours and hours of time due to addictino.
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    The forced multiplayer for the end game, especially if you are playing one of the poorly balanced heroes that can't take down a boss, really hold this game back. I can understand the developers wanting people to play together, but people who want to play alone, and be able to actually take on the red or purple terminals, should be able to with all the heroes. They shouldn't make it harderThe forced multiplayer for the end game, especially if you are playing one of the poorly balanced heroes that can't take down a boss, really hold this game back. I can understand the developers wanting people to play together, but people who want to play alone, and be able to actually take on the red or purple terminals, should be able to with all the heroes. They shouldn't make it harder on the solo player. If grouping is "fun" people who like that will go do it, and the people who want to solo or play maybe with one other person should be able to do that without these ridiculous pumped up bosses at the end, sometimes with powers they shouldn't even have. That ridiculous self heal is horrible game design, or ignored defenses. Pricing of the heroes in the store is really awful too. Expand
  11. Jun 24, 2013
    While this game has the potential to be really fun it's current level of entertainment value wears thin quick with it's very limited customization. Gear does not change your appearance, and there are a limited collection of costumes for each character as well as very weak power trees. I'll admit that the game is fun at the start, I had a blast but it quickly wore off because of itsWhile this game has the potential to be really fun it's current level of entertainment value wears thin quick with it's very limited customization. Gear does not change your appearance, and there are a limited collection of costumes for each character as well as very weak power trees. I'll admit that the game is fun at the start, I had a blast but it quickly wore off because of its repetitiveness. The game needs more visual diversity (acquired gear should tweak your characters appearance), it needs more heroes, it needs to allow you to create a custom hero, and it needs Ghostrider. The real disappointment of this game though is it's fixed angle isometric 3d camera view. While it works fine for fantasy based games like Torchlight or Diablo you really lose the "heroic" feel of your hero because of the restraining camera. No custom heroes and the action RPG engine really killed this, it should be a true MMO like DC Heroes or Champions Online. This has potential to be a great game, but it will never, ever, feel like a true super hero game. Lessen the grind and give us more customization (both character development and visual appearance) and this will be a winner, but still won't feel like a superhero game. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2013
    DONT MISS THIS GAME! its the first true mix of MMO and ARPG and for that alone we should be excited. The fact that its a Marvel Universe and not the same tired High Fantasy setting is refreshing. The polish on the game is already very good and first week jitters aside there is one here. If you like ARPG you'll love MH. Those with a disposition more towards pandas and deathknights justDONT MISS THIS GAME! its the first true mix of MMO and ARPG and for that alone we should be excited. The fact that its a Marvel Universe and not the same tired High Fantasy setting is refreshing. The polish on the game is already very good and first week jitters aside there is one here. If you like ARPG you'll love MH. Those with a disposition more towards pandas and deathknights just wont get how good this game is. Finally its Free-to-Play and whilst the prices you pay for getting heroes ahead of a drop may at first seem high. When you think you only need to pay $20 to play the character of your choice and never have to pay a penny again that represents really great value for money. Expand
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    I am one of those players who tried Marvel Heroes at launch and wrote it off pretty quickly as a poor Diablo clone coupled to a money-grabbing 'freemium' scheme.

However, I was seeing a little more buzz about it recently, nearly six months after its launch. I was resistant to even looking at what had changed, but got a code for $25 of in-game currency through a PC hardware promotion. I figured I would give it a shot since I would be able to play with more than the terrible 'starter' heroes.

Imagine my surprise to find that the game has gotten tremendous polish, and even those starter heroes were fun to run around with. The game as it exists now provides much more fun than I had even with Diablo III. THIS is the game that should have launched, but I think it needed the scrutiny of a few thousand active users to get to this point.

Loot is plentiful and, surprisingly, fun. Ever want to give Iron Man a grappling hook, or have Hulk summon demons to help him smash things up? You can do that. How about an item that lets Spider-Man shoot fireballs, or one that makes enemies flee in fear at the destruction wrought by the Punisher? It's in there. This is on top of the usual white/green/blue/purple/yellow/orange loot that Diablo and Torchlight players have come to know and love.

There is a system is in place to allow players to earn new heroes (rather than pay real money for them) and I was skeptical about how well that would work. But the required items (Eternity Splinters) drop very regularly as long as you are fighting enemies, and the game goes out of its way to point them out to you when they drop. Granted, you have to put in a bit of time to earn enough (around 30-40 hours for the cheaper heroes) but it's better than the horrible random token system they had in place at launch.

Gameplay has also been adjusted, and you actually feel like a super hero when playing. There are moments where I wish I was recording the game when playing as Iron Man, firing missiles, repulsor blasts and his trademark Unibeam at waves of oncoming Hydra soldiers or Hand ninjas. The terminal missions which pit you against hordes of upgraded goons, named unique enemies, and bosses is an absolute blast.

So if you, like me, wrote this game off as a poor attempt to cash in on the Marvel license, give it another shot. At launch, I would have given the game a 4 at best. As it stands today, it's a solid 8, teetering on a 9. It was an absolute joy to see how it had matured.
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    £64 for a dlc with only 4 characters and 8 skins? I don't like the fact that everyone was running around as the same characters and found gameplay to be bland it got very repetitive very fast. I won't be picking this game up again. Disappointing as i wanted it to be so much more.
  15. May 31, 2014
    After a year I decided the check out the actual status of the game. They did a lot of improvements and the game is fun to play. If they overwork the item handling like stacking etc. will it become a 9/10
  16. Jun 11, 2013
    I love the fact that this is the first super heroe MMO that actually let's you play as your favorite super heroes! (DCUO pay attention) There needs to be a bit more characters but the game is a super polished barrel of Marvel fun.
  17. Jul 23, 2013
    No one is more disappointed than I am with Marvel Heroes. Thank you for making my favorite comic characters prostitutes.

SPOILERS Follow. No one. Maybe equal, but not more. I was basically preaching to friends about this game during the early stages. A Marvel online game, where I can be my favorite comic character? Check. Free to play. Check. Story by Bendis? Skeptical, but check.

SPOILERS Follow.

Then I played the beta. I was worried. My laptop runs nearly all games, some at low settings quite well. These include Torchlight 2 (high), Bioshock Infinite (low), TF2 (high), Blood Dragon (medium), Borderlands 2 (medium), etc.I admit, I haven't played any large sized MMOs, but regardless of what the developers say, Marvel Heroes is NOT a MMO. It is an ARG, with heavy online hubs. This is issue one. Issue two, is the pricing. Issue three is the story. Issue four is just gameplay. But first, let us talk of issue one.

1. The online component of this game is broken. Marvel Heroes was delayed on several occasions. When the open(ish) beta happened back in April/May, you would not have been able to find any individual of the thousands of testers, many who had little experience in beta testing or are even less likely to game heavily, who would say the game was ready for release. A month later it was released, and it was worse. Several zones are STILL broken, with such framerate drop and lag occurs you have to leave the zone and skip it (if you can). There are several loopholes you can find online to modify a few game files, and in one case disabling a graphics card, but those make the situation worse in proves the game is broken. Next, finding groups is just awful, as most people don't really want to use the message function. Then, the default settings have instance auto-grouping, which is fine at first. Then after, if you're lucky, the first instance you WILL be grouped with someone who either runs or 'clips' their way through the map to the boss, kills them, zones out. You will get nothing.

2. The pricing is laughable. I understand, Gazillion made a game and should be paid for it. But the hero and costume prices are outrageous. For example, Deadpool, Wolverine, Spider-Man are $20. Costumes are $15. Yes, these items do drop, until their major 'patch' with an equally broken incentive system, but they are so rare to drop it has, and will continue, to drive players away. In my game, for the first month until I decided to take a break and evaluate my position on this game, I earned 1 costume and 1 hero, oh and 1 duplicate hero. Even their sales were disgusting. The many individuals who bought 'Founders Packs', with the Ultimate pack at $200 are already crying foul as they are STILL missing content that was promised (costumes and I believe 4 characters). No Squirrel Girl or Nova, for example.

3. I have been reading Marvel my entire life. I played all four of the 'original' ARPGs on the consoles (X-Men Legends/2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance/2) and still play them. They had excellent gameplay, and more importantly, excellent stories. Enter Marvel Heroes. Which is basically Marvel Ultimate Alliance storywise, but much much worse. Bendis pulled what I am now calling "An Age of Ultron" where it is just an incredibly disappointing story. In fact, after an attempt to follow it, and realizing I had already played through that story years ago, I began skipping the cutscenes. Oh, where is Luke Cage at in the game? He is in the majority of the scenes, but nope, not a playable character.

4. The gameplay begins quite engaging, but about halfway through the "plot" you will be bored. Especially if you lack the character drops to explore other characters. Worse, if you bought any, or a pack, you still will become bored very quickly by going through the same maps over and over again to level up the other characters. What is that you say, there are daily challenges that increase loot drops? Yes, there are, but those (other than Limbo and one other) are the same story maps with the same bosses. You just play them again and they are a higher level. Hooray. Games like MH are played for the loot. I played it for the loot. I played it for the opportunity to unlock new characters or costumes. There are no visual differences between players. None. There are dozens of Thing's, Storms, Daredevils, etc. that MIGHT have a different costume. The gear you obtain is only equip able, but not visible to yourself or anyone else. For a loot gathering game, it basically makes it pointless to collect look. Furthermore, you have no sense of progression, or challenge. I'm not saying the game needs achievements, but challenge related criteria would help keep interest (such as Borderlands/2 challenges that carry over between characters, etc). Pretty much ANYTHING to make the gameplay worthwhile and progressive.

Marvel Heroes basically made whores out of my lifelong literary companions. avoid this atrocious game, buggy, unfinished product. Marvel should be ashamed of themselves
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    I REALLY wanted this game to be good because I grew up watching the X-men cartoons and I'm a big fan of ARPGs and MMOs. Unfortunately, after a couple hours, I was extremely disappointed.

Here is how Marvel Heroes works: I run into a room, right click every enemy once (because they all die in 1 hit no matter what they are), pick up my loot, and move on. I know that ARPG games are generally easy at the beginning, but I could play this with my eyes closed. After leveling for a few hours, it didn't get any harder. Bosses are the same except they take more than 1 hit to kill and I might have to use a health kit. No strategy needed, just face tank and right click.

Aside from that, there are tons of little things that just bother me about this game. Gear does not affect your appearance in ANY way and there are hundreds of characters running around that look EXACTLY like me. Throwing wooden crates at an enemy seems to do more damage than shooting them with lightning (wtf?). Many enemies drop "experience orbs" and I just do not understand the purpose of giving players exp in orb form. The Thing's charge ability appears to be broken and he ends up on the other side of enemies instead of charging into them (would make more sense if you saw a video)

Maybe this is one of those games that only gets good towards the end when your character(s) is developed a little more. Sadly, there is not much incentive to play that far for me.

I truly feel sorry for any die-hard Marvel fan that dropped $200 into this game for a founder's pack. It just isn't good.

19. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like Marvel comics and you enjoyed Diablo 2 then this is a no brainer, the graphics are great and the overall story is classic Marvel. I am loving this game!
  20. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent Game if you like Diablo style games.
    Marvel Heroes is the Marvel MMO that you have been waiting for! Play as Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America and many more as they team up to try and stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube.
  21. Jun 8, 2013
    I played a good deal of the beta and have now played the actual game. The game is fun, easy to understand, and they make good use of the marvel characters they have with funny phrases and interactions. If this game was $60 I might still buy it but as it is free I see no reason not to try it out and enjoy it. The main mission progress is a bit short and the end game need some work, whichI played a good deal of the beta and have now played the actual game. The game is fun, easy to understand, and they make good use of the marvel characters they have with funny phrases and interactions. If this game was $60 I might still buy it but as it is free I see no reason not to try it out and enjoy it. The main mission progress is a bit short and the end game need some work, which they are working on, but again it is free so I think this can be forgiven. Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    This game is great, very addictive and fun, the gameplay is just so good, the animations, the voice-over, the art, the heroes in special have unique abilities and gameplay, but what i most like about this game is that you don't have to pay a dime if you don't want to.
  23. Oct 19, 2013
    Back in June I rated this game poorly due to its pre-mature release lacking many features. Now October version 1.4, the game is so much better. In its current state it is far superior to Path of Exile and Diablo 3. The game has steadily increased its player numbers, but its ashame about the poor launch. If the game had been released in its current state I'd bet there would be half aBack in June I rated this game poorly due to its pre-mature release lacking many features. Now October version 1.4, the game is so much better. In its current state it is far superior to Path of Exile and Diablo 3. The game has steadily increased its player numbers, but its ashame about the poor launch. If the game had been released in its current state I'd bet there would be half a million players. And in one week we'll be getting a brand new PvP gamemode. Can't wait! Expand
  24. Apr 2, 2014
    Superior ARPG now, yes it was released too soon, but has changed drastically since release, if they fix some annoying (not game breaking) bugs it would be a 10.
    9 good starter heroes now, check it out! Doctor Strange is the latest hero as of this review, and new Team Up heroes come out this week, great time to retry, or explore it for the first time.
    More game modes and large world now
    More game modes and large world now and more in the works.
    Next 3 heroes coming this year: Invisible Woman, Psylocke, and Mr. Fantastic.
  25. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a very playable game for a F2P. I love marvel universe and i love diablo 2 and this game is pretty much the mix of them. What totally destroys the game is, that this is the most expensive F2P ever created. If you want to try out every hero and skin prepare to pay at least 200 euro. Absolutely ridiculous prices are what totally ruins this game.
  26. Jun 4, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun. The bosses are all unique and incredibly challenging. I don't think anyone will be able to complete this game without dying on their first try. I've died over 10 times already and im a pretty experienced gamer. So far I've only really played Cyclops and I'm having a blast. Each class is pretty unique and there is definitely a hero for everyone out there

Only

Only downsides to the game are the pricing model (everything seems to be incredibly expensive), the grind in between zones (however this is good if you like to explore everything), and the bugs/client problems.
  27. Jun 6, 2013
    Solid ARPG. Some slight balancing issues (Magneto is awful for some heroes), the pricing isn't very good, and the game is pretty short meaning nonstop daily farming or running alts. Gaz's does a good job addressing bugs in a timely manner.
  28. Jun 4, 2013
    PoE and grim Dawn are what you want in an arpg imo. I play this. I even bought a pack. 60$ spent and i got 300G. I can buy 2 characters i hate or 1 i like. You do get 1 starter character free. But you can only choose Storm,Thing,Hawkeye, or DD, Oh and Scarlet Witch. 1$=100 G. Spidey is 2000G. The gameplay is ok. The powers and characters are better. They sadly fall into the 3 archtypes,PoE and grim Dawn are what you want in an arpg imo. I play this. I even bought a pack. 60$ spent and i got 300G. I can buy 2 characters i hate or 1 i like. You do get 1 starter character free. But you can only choose Storm,Thing,Hawkeye, or DD, Oh and Scarlet Witch. 1$=100 G. Spidey is 2000G. The gameplay is ok. The powers and characters are better. They sadly fall into the 3 archtypes, Tank,Rdps,Mdps. I play as colossus. I get killed by Pyro's on the regular, and Bullets wear down my armor....Wolvey's Healing Factor isn't close to being right. The Stats on the bio sheets don't even match the Marvel verses. The worst for me is how it seems on any map I am affected by other peoples lag. Even in the Avengers Tower Hub or X-Mansion, It only takes over 20 people to be in there and the game will hang up in these .4 second burst of stutter. It's F2p so if you like arpg's or Marvel you should try it. I'm just going to pretend like they have a LoD type patch/dlc for us later. Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    I am a long time FPS gamer from the days of Quake, Doom, ROTT, Duke, etc. and I have never once been interested in trying out a Diablo style clone. That is until Marvel Heroes came along.

I'm a pretty big fan of Marvel and Storm has been one of my most favorite mutants since the 4 player X-Men widescreen arcade coin-op. I was happy to see her as a playable character and leveled her up to 25 before defeating the main story, Dr. Doom. I invested maybe a little over 20hrs into the game.. mainly because I was lost half the time. Overall I had a great experience with this title, especially considering that I paid NOTHING!

After defeating Dr. Doom I have little interest in continuing towards the end game as the story line is effectively complete at this point. I can see how vets of action/rpg give this game low marks as once you look past the cloak of the Marvel branding, this game is a bit flat.

I'm a fan of Marvel and a complete noob to this genre. Marvel Heroes was a great device to finally get me interested in action/rpg in the first place and I'm certain that Marvel Heroes will not be my last adventure into this foreign territory.
  30. Dec 18, 2013
    Oh dear. Where to start. Lets start with the gameplay. There is none. God is this some uninspired gameplay. Just trash mobs everywhere, absolute bottom of the barrel trash quests with empty, placeholder level design intersperesed with trash cartoon segues. A perfect storm of shyte hoping to capitalize on fanboi'ism. I felt like I was playing a flash browser game. Marvel HeroesOh dear. Where to start. Lets start with the gameplay. There is none. God is this some uninspired gameplay. Just trash mobs everywhere, absolute bottom of the barrel trash quests with empty, placeholder level design intersperesed with trash cartoon segues. A perfect storm of shyte hoping to capitalize on fanboi'ism. I felt like I was playing a flash browser game. Marvel Heroes utterly fails to pull you into it's world. The super powers are all also completely bogus because there's no real choices. You get a bunch of xp points and you just plug them into the few abilities you have that are unlocked. This is the most shallow money grab I've ever seen.

In a nutshell the game has zero soul. A game full of art assets needs to display a little creativity for me to get interested. There is none on offer here. Maybe there is but I absolutely will not slog through this turd of a game to find out. If you are a fan of bland, one dimensional superhero cartoons you might be braindead enough to enjoy this. Have at it! It's all yours.
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    Shameful, utterly uninspired, generic isometric brawler with Marvel character skins. This is an absolutely terrible game that is blatantly exploiting the Marvel licence to severely gouge its fans. We live in time where gaming has reached a level where this type of shovelware should no longer be able to exist. It takes truly unimaginative people to turn the incredible Marvel universe into this.
  32. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a sheetload of fock - seriously, all the devs care about is to know how much money they can suck off you. Their 2nd priority is to release costumes and character packs to attend to their 1st priority. Fixing bugs and glaring issues is their least priority. So before you buy anything in this game, you already know in what kind of mountain of rhino poo you are setting your feet into.
  33. May 19, 2014
    Gets boring fast, new heroes are kinda OP to get money fast and so on. Developers who seem friendly if you praise them on the forums but turn against you no matter what if you slightly judge them. Keep away. Money trap
  34. Oct 13, 2013
    MH had a lot of potential, but completely failed to deliver. It's kinda fun for a single play through, but there just isn't enough content or fun to be had to justify investing much time or money into it. Were it not for the extortionist monetization policy, I would probably have rated MH higher, but at its heart, MH is a shallow cash grab, backed by underwhelming gameplay. How thisMH had a lot of potential, but completely failed to deliver. It's kinda fun for a single play through, but there just isn't enough content or fun to be had to justify investing much time or money into it. Were it not for the extortionist monetization policy, I would probably have rated MH higher, but at its heart, MH is a shallow cash grab, backed by underwhelming gameplay. How this thing weighs in at 15gb is beyond me, save your bandwidth. Expand
  35. Jun 6, 2013
    First, you can ignore anyone who says "This game suck because you must pay for x,y,z". These reviews are at best, silly. The game is FREE to play and it is A LOT of fun. I started with Daredevil (FREE) for a bit, then I played some Hawkeye (also FREE) and really enjoyed the casual action packed gaming. They have more FREE heroes than most ARPGS make you pay for. And it has 8First, you can ignore anyone who says "This game suck because you must pay for x,y,z". These reviews are at best, silly. The game is FREE to play and it is A LOT of fun. I started with Daredevil (FREE) for a bit, then I played some Hawkeye (also FREE) and really enjoyed the casual action packed gaming. They have more FREE heroes than most ARPGS make you pay for. And it has 8 Chapters to play through. Again, totally FREE. In short, I like it better than any other ARPG since Diablo II. And its the best F2P game to date.

I liked it so much, I gave them $20 and bought Black Panther, a costume and some XP boosts. Black Panther is ridiculously fun to play. I have played the game near to completion and I'm loving every minute.

True, it's not that hard to get through it and it is not as deep as some other ARPGs. But, the powers are excellently done. The loot is acceptable (not too jackpotish, not to stingy) You truly feel like you are playing a superhero. For example, with Black Panther his acrobatic moves are just like you would want them to be. He Front rolls over a mob stuns them, punches and kicks then does a back flip while throwing a knife, or leaving a bomb. Then tumbles back into the fight, jumps again, punch, punch, kick, flip kick, sweep kick, and finally a double punch to the throat to finish the job. Its fluid even under a heavy load.

I gave this game a solid 8. It does have room to grow and some of the pricing structure could be a little easier on the wallet, but this is a secondary concern. Try it. Play it. And if you do give them $20 for Thor, he won't let you down, he is a beast!
  36. Jun 3, 2016
    Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add anPlease add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Please add an edit/delete review button. Thank you. Expand
  37. Jun 12, 2013
    This is a great free to play game. But it is not really a great game to spend any money on. The combat is fun and interesting (I can actually use Daredevil's acrobatics to dodge major attacks and roll away from incoming bullets, for instance), the difficulty is casual, the crafting system is user-friendly and very useful without having to waste time farming anything, and if like me, youThis is a great free to play game. But it is not really a great game to spend any money on. The combat is fun and interesting (I can actually use Daredevil's acrobatics to dodge major attacks and roll away from incoming bullets, for instance), the difficulty is casual, the crafting system is user-friendly and very useful without having to waste time farming anything, and if like me, you like the Marvel universe, there's a lot to really love about this game.

The writing is really top-notch. I would not be surprised if I found out that actual comic writers worked on the script, because it's as good as you'll find anywhere. The animated cut scenes in comic book style are so well done that I actually looked forward to watching them, as opposed to furiously pressing the Esc key and hoping to skip them.

That said, the prices are kind of ridiculous. You have to pay $20 just to unlock several of the best characters, including Spiderman, Deadpool, and Iron Man. That's $20 each, not $20 for all three. Even less beloved characters like Rocket Raccoon cost at least $10-12 a piece. Then if you want to get one of the costumes, be prepared to spend another $10-20 per costume. I'm not sure Gazillion realizes this, but I would have spent $20-30 on this game if I felt like I would get more than two new characters, or one character and one costume out of it. As it is I probably will beat the game with my free Daredevil character and move on to something else. But I'm not paying $20 just to play as ONE character that I may not even like.

Anyway ultimately the entire game is free, there is no "pay-to-win" mechanic at all, you get 5 characters to choose from in the beginning and 2 more free heroes as you play through the game. For what it is, that deserves an 8. If you're interested, give it a try, make sure and give it about two hours so you can experience everything the game has to offer before deciding.
  38. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a free-2-play hack and slash game, much like the Diablo franchise by Blizzard. When you first start off, you are given a choice between a small handful of heroes. I am told that as you play the game, you can unlock more heroes, but after playing two hours, I have only unlocked one other hero, one I didn't even want.

In order to buy new heroes, you'll need to do some

In order to buy new heroes, you'll need to do some sort of stupid currency conversion like all stupid new free-2-play games go. Right now heroes go for a little over $10.00 a hero, which is really unreasonable if you ask me. Some heroes are "worth" more then others and I don't really understand why.

It's your standard fare hack and slash with some hero elements thrown in. For the most part you will be sharing zones with other players, which is really annoying. When you participate in group fights, instead of allowing each person to have their own private loot, it all hits the floor, making you fight for loot drops.

Equipment is pretty shallow, there's nothing really "epic" about the equipment you find in the game. None of the equipment changes how your player looks, instead, once again, you need to buy stuff in their cash shop and the new equipment designs are pretty expensive, around $10.00 a costume swap. This causes the game to have hordes of the same looking characters, which really ruins the experience of the game.

I am told it's actually possible to find everything just by playing the game that you can buy in the cash shop, I am not sure how much of that I believe, after all, after two hours I haven't seen anything like that drop. If you are criminally insane, you can pay $200.00 to unlock everything in the game, I am not sure why people consider this acceptable and the people encouraging that kind of blatant cash grab should be ashamed of themselves.

It's nothing amazing, it's nothing new and for people wanting to spend money, it's incredibly expensive.
  39. Jan 12, 2014
    Yet another mouse spamming game with too much effects, no trading and no challenge. They even added a PvP feature but that's also retarded. Also hero unlocks take weeks or you have to pay ridiculous amount of money. Stay away.
  40. Jun 8, 2013
    Fun game, when you can play. With each new update Gazillion makes you RE- download the entire game. Waiting for hours on end to play is irritating at best. I feel bad for the people that paid for this. The heroes are fun, and vary which helps to keep it interesting. Its just too bad they wrecked the delivery system, this could have been a blast.
  41. X0R
    Jun 11, 2013
    I played the beta, and should have known better than wasting money on it but I did. Ah well. It is not my cup of tea. There are 100 reviews here on this game, so I won't repeat other than commenting that personally, there isn't a whole lot of thrill/fun/excitement to keep me logged in for longer than 15-20mins.

Sure I knew in advance that there is no customization of characters to

Sure I knew in advance that there is no customization of characters to make yours unique, the AI is pretty predictable, the missions are predictable but I thought it might have some entertaining value. Nah zero value for me.
  42. Jun 17, 2013
    I cant believe it worse than Diablo 2.
    Lets talk about what was good :
    Variety of Heroes. Simple hack and slash, easy to play and learn. The Bad : - Bad Graphic (the entire art direction and quality is very low. not attractive) - Too few skill for each heroes - Kinder-garden Itemization - Multiplayer design is not-logical and frustrated to play with. - Pay to have Fun Exotic
    I cant believe it worse than Diablo 2.
    Lets talk about what was good :
    Variety of Heroes. Simple hack and slash, easy to play and learn.

The Bad :
    - Too few skill for each heroes
    - Kinder-garden Itemization
    - Multiplayer design is not-logical and frustrated to play with.
    - Pay to have Fun Exotic heroes USD20/heroes, pay to access to craft )
    (they told you everything for sell is available as a loot, but we knew it wont drop so easily)
    - Pay to Win Money can buy huge advantage and time saving features )
    - Not even Half the D2 content.
  43. Jun 4, 2013
    Really fun arpg. If you like marvel comics you should try this game. It needs somework in endgame, but its too soon to evaluate that.
    Every heroe plays quite diferent and the open maps with event its a nice change in this kind of games.
  44. Jul 16, 2013
    As a person that was thoroughly disappointed with Diablo 3, a game like Marvel Heroes has been an absolute god-send. I've waited a few weeks since launch to write a review for it (giving Gazillion some time to hash out a few bugs), and I can honestly say the rate at which they continue to improve this game earns them a solid 10/10 in my book. It is absolutely worth a try to anyone who isAs a person that was thoroughly disappointed with Diablo 3, a game like Marvel Heroes has been an absolute god-send. I've waited a few weeks since launch to write a review for it (giving Gazillion some time to hash out a few bugs), and I can honestly say the rate at which they continue to improve this game earns them a solid 10/10 in my book. It is absolutely worth a try to anyone who is even remotely a fan of the genre or the Marvel universe. Expand
  45. Jun 7, 2013
    Welll what can I say..... This game is a lot like a Diablo type hack and slash game, but reallllly boring. The level design is so bland. The enemies are like attack of the clones, there is very little variation. I almost fell asleep after 1hr of playing. Do yourself a favor and save the 11 gig download for another game.
  46. Jun 5, 2013
    I've been playing this game since closed beta and have been having a blast!

I've been playing this game since closed beta and have been having a blast!

I'm a huge fan of the ARPG genre and this game by far has everything I ever wanted in an ARPG. It has a huge open public world where you fight along side other players making the game even more dynamic. The game right now consist of 21 heroes (5 more will be released soon) that is more "classes" than any of the other ARPGs that has come out in recent years combined; giving this game an insane amount of replay value. Brevik mentions that their goal is to add new heroes hopefully at the pace of LoL, and they will continue to improve the game with constant updates for years to come.

Also, the endgame has a lot of potential right now even in its infancy you start out with daily missions and working your way up to group missions which are normally called "raids" in other mmo's. I'm looking forward to seeing what Brevik and company will come out with in the future.

Everything that I've written about is just the tip of the iceberg and not to mention this game is f2p! You can't beat that. So what are you waiting for? If you're an ARPG fan like I am I am pretty sure you'll find some kind of enjoyment out of this game. And even if your're not into ARPGs, it doesn't hurt to give this game a go. All it takes is a little bit of your time and you'll never know; you might be surprise on how good it is.
  47. Dec 30, 2013
    *UPDATED REVIEW*
    *UPDATED REVIEW*
    Overview: Gazillion has drastically improved this game since launch. It's got a dearth of content and events (finally), they actually lowered the prices on some characters (for real money) and allowing you to earn them without paying (using eternity splinters). They've added some new characters like Squirrel Girl Ghost Rider, Gambit and some others, with more on the way.

Pros: The combat is really good and you'll never be at a loss for loot. You can actually get characters without emptying your wallet. Way more content than at launch.
    Cons :The story is still super boring. I wish there was a little more depth to the crafting (that's more of a personal preference though).

It's way better than it was at launch. It's fun but make sure you get some friends to play with (or make some friends in game) as it can get lonely playing it solo.
  48. Jun 8, 2013
    For an honest, accurate and complete review check out the review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They were given 10,000 G credits in game and still hated it.

Personally, i would much rather pay $60 for a polished single player game with access to any hero I want, that i can customize anyway I want, rather than this blatant cash grab FTP model. Lots of comparisons to Diablo 2 because one of the devs for that game also worked on MH. However, D2 is the epitome of a loot based, fun adventure game. MH is just boring. I defeated the final boss, Dr. Doom, at level 24. After that you have to do the same daily missions over and over to get to max level. There is no endgame content at all!!! I never had any hero or costume drops from levels 1 to 24. Apparently those dont drop until you are at max level.

Really disappointed in this game. After I defeated Dr. Doom I felt no satisfaction or accomplishment at all. I uninstalled the game after just a few days of boring gameplay.

All of the people claiming that negative reviews of this game are biased just because its FTP are totally missing the point. It's not necessarily the FTP model that i dislike, (although in this case it is a pretty bad FTP model) ITS THE GAME I DISLIKE!!!
  49. Jun 5, 2013
    the games combat system is boring and i mean boring its so uncreative and a lot of your hero skills are uselss to be honest. id rather have paid 50 bucks for a game were i dont get nickled and dimed for each super hero i want to play as. the super heros themseves are over priced as hell. people are way to forgiving about games now days just cause a game is f2p or just released doesnt meanthe games combat system is boring and i mean boring its so uncreative and a lot of your hero skills are uselss to be honest. id rather have paid 50 bucks for a game were i dont get nickled and dimed for each super hero i want to play as. the super heros themseves are over priced as hell. people are way to forgiving about games now days just cause a game is f2p or just released doesnt mean its an excuse to make something halfed asssed. this could of been a great game but it just isnt to be quite honest i feel bad for the people who bought founder packs. the in game currency is useless the only thing i found myself buying was med kits but after a couple of hours i found those useless as well. id give it a 4 out of 10 could of been higher but its just less then average game out there and feels very bland. there are much better f2p choices out there Expand
  50. Jun 27, 2013
    The combat itself is a bit slow and boring. The game feels uninspired and rushed. Defense is broken and melee characters are crushed as a result. I was a huge fan of the game but fixes and patches are slow, and most of the time make the game worse (Limbo Nerf) They (Gazillion) are a nerf company hero after hero is nerfed. If something is viewed as fun, nerf it.

Drive up the cost of

Drive up the cost of heroes and nerf them after you buy them. Boring, old model.
  51. Jul 19, 2013
    When this game launched it earned its low scores; the prices were too high, the content too little, and even communication was at an all-time low. What a frackin difference 6 weeks makes. Since launch we have seen two sales, two xp/item find weekends (The second of which is going on as we speak 7-19-2013), serious patches that buff characters instead of nerfing them, two patches to addressWhen this game launched it earned its low scores; the prices were too high, the content too little, and even communication was at an all-time low. What a frackin difference 6 weeks makes. Since launch we have seen two sales, two xp/item find weekends (The second of which is going on as we speak 7-19-2013), serious patches that buff characters instead of nerfing them, two patches to address defense, a major percentage based defense fix incoming, xp buffs, a new tier of items to hunt (Cosmic Items), an increase in hero drop rates, and a permanent price cut to all items in the store. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is not the Marvel Heroes you knew at launch.

To put it in perspective for all of us ARPG gamers, Gazillion Entertainment has made more fundamental changes to Marvel Heroes in 6 weeks than Blizzard made to Diablo 3 in over a year. Is Marvel Heroes perfect? Absolutely not, but when the average (non-streamer/non-media) gamer can sit down at their PC, and have a conversation with the lead developer about the state of the game and where it is headed, then you better be frackin sure that the game is headed that way. I don’t room to mention all the awesome they are putting into this game, but I need to add that itemization is not only be worked on, but it is a top priority for this team. That other game still hasn’t fixed itemization, and has stated they will not have it implemented until 2014.

I have not seen a single negative review that actually played through the entire game and gave it a fair shake. Almost every review says something so stupid that it completely outs the fact they didn’t bother playing it. Things like “The inventory is so small and I don’t have a portal to go back to town!”. Really? You didn’t even bother playing long enough to discover the body slider? I mean, I know it’s a new idea on portals…even though Diablo 3 has been using this system since it launched… and it’s available to you from level 1.

So, after all of this gushing over the game let me tell you what I don’t like about it. My biggest complaint has to be optimization. The game does not run well on mid-range systems, and the loading times are terrible even on an SSD

Also, patch times can be long (Yet lately they have been better, and coming in at under 3 hours downtime). In a world where studios like Grinding Gear Games and ArenaNet are cranking out very substantial patches (Big in content, yet tiny in actual byte size) by giving a 10 minute warning, and patching the game in a matter of minutes with nearly no downtime; Well, let’s just say Gazillion could really benefit from their example.

Retcons. My opinion on this is probably where I can be the most toxic. In Marvel Heroes many people have paid cash for their character. Why in the burning hells would you tell your customers that the character they paid for not only can never have their levels reset back to level 1 but that they have to pay cash to respec their build? People will argue that you get one free retcon from doing a quest. It’s one free per character, and is not repeatable. Well that is a great way to introduce the system; it is not a great way to encourage the experimenting with builds.

Have we not had flat out wars over silly specs for lulz? Battle Mage anyone? Charging cash for Retcons while restricting one’s ability to re-roll their character, does nothing but stifle experimentation. All those nerds (like myself, don’t get all offended) who would tell their friends about this awesome, yet completely unlikely build they created, now have nothing to say, because it will cost them $2.50 to respect their character.

Side Note: We do have a famous character called Punchclops, (Cyclops with a melee build). If Retcons were easily attainable (their drop rates suck) would we not have more Punchclops running around? Also, they have mentioned the possibility of re-rolling once you hit level cap, similar to the prestige system in that FPS game. I love it. But I would still prefer an option to flat out re-roll anytime, and unrestricted and on the cheap.

Notable mentions: There is a ton of interaction between the developers and the community members. The upcoming test server will provide us a chance to test The Human Torch, and the new upcoming content. Patches have been aggressive, and striking to the heart of what the community has been requesting. I’ve played a lot of online games, and I have never met a more devoted and attentive development team; they even pretend I don’t come off as semi-bipolar and overly critical of certain (retcons) game mechanics. Which is nice of them.

Stay Groovy
  52. Jun 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an Free-to-Play ARPG with MMO elements. It plays very similar to the Diablo and Torchlight series. The main issues with the game are lack of content and the pricing of heroes you wish to purchase. As of right now, the range varies from $10-20 per hero with the most popular being $20. You do, however, get to choose 1 of 5 heroes to start off with (Storm, Daredevil, Hawkeye,Marvel Heroes is an Free-to-Play ARPG with MMO elements. It plays very similar to the Diablo and Torchlight series. The main issues with the game are lack of content and the pricing of heroes you wish to purchase. As of right now, the range varies from $10-20 per hero with the most popular being $20. You do, however, get to choose 1 of 5 heroes to start off with (Storm, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Thing). After the prequel, you get a second Hero token from those five and a third starter hero after you complete the game.

The main storyline only gets you to about Level 25 by the end of it and that's assuming you complete every quest along the way and do a bit of exploring. The game itself is really fun, but at the end it leaves you wishing there were more to it. The "endgame" consists of doing Daily Missions which are essentially just running through the main storyline over again, except you skip to the last area before the boss. Each boss is stronger and now has an affix that gives them a random buff (Ignore Defense, Quick, Vertex Field, etc.) which makes them even harder to defeat. Unfortunately, the grinding can get a bit boring and level progression after you hit Level 30 is painfully slow. There is other endgame content such as group instances (raids), but I have not done any of them yet. Each raid allows you to have anywhere from 5 to 25 party members at a time. I have not personally been a part of it, but it sounds like it could be fun.

Another common criticism this game has is that a lot of people think that each melee/ranged/tank character is about the same with just a different skin. However, I would have to disagree with that. Although they may have similar roles, the way they are played feels a lot different. The statement is valid though since most characters for the most part feel the same early on, but once you level up and unlock more of their skills, you'll notice how each hero brings something different to the table.

Unfortunately though, unless you are willing to shell out a great deal of money for this F2P game, you will not be able to have much of a variety of characters to choose from since the rate at which hero tokens drop are very low.

Personally, my biggest gripe (aside from Hero pricing) is that the gear that you can get does not vary much and is very boring. Also, I feel like the stats don't necessarily get better at higher levels despite the rarity of the item. For example, I found a rare Level 12 piece of armor, but when I found another rare piece of armor of a significantly higher level, the amount of defense it gave was actually less than the Level 12 piece. I think it would have been nice if they had more than 4 tiers of rarity (common, uncommon, rare, and epic) and at least had a fifth tier for Legendary items, but there aren't any in this game. It would've been nice to have Set Items, but there is a lack of those as well.

I have put over 30 hours into the game leveling various heroes and think that this game can be worthwhile if you have a group of friends to play it with. Guilds are currently disabled, which is a bummer, but I think that once the functionality is put back into the game, it will be a lot better since it will be easier to find a group of people to play with. There are a lot of things that I think could be better, but overall I think that this game has the potential to be something great. If you are a Marvel fan and enjoy simple ARPGs, you'll probably enjoy this game. However, if you come into the game with the mindset that it will be like Path of Exile or Diablo III, you will be severely disappointed.
  53. Jul 20, 2013
    100 hours of play and I have left. After the improvements that have been little more than 1 month old, the game is very good and is fun, fun, maybe things missing but developers are taking it very seriously and are constantly improving it. And we can say that is better than diablo 3 xD
  54. Jun 4, 2013
    This game has a lot of potential, sadly it is unlikely to improve given the history of patches Gazillion has put out over the last 6 months in closed beta. The game has hundreds of bugs, runs very poorly on a Radeon 7950 gaming desktop, and there is very little depth to the game. Most of the skills don't work as described, synergies aren't working correctly, critical hits don't work onThis game has a lot of potential, sadly it is unlikely to improve given the history of patches Gazillion has put out over the last 6 months in closed beta. The game has hundreds of bugs, runs very poorly on a Radeon 7950 gaming desktop, and there is very little depth to the game. Most of the skills don't work as described, synergies aren't working correctly, critical hits don't work on certain types of abilities, etc. There's just so many things that don't work and for them to release this game as "Final" is all the proof you need that Gazillion is not a developer you should give money to.

Again, the game itself is great. The execution is awful, I'm so disappointed and wish I hadn't spent $60 now.
  55. Aug 7, 2013
    The game is very good, I've spent 100 hrs on it and I liked the process, but what is more important this game is getting better pretty fast. Developers are doing great job and I give them credit for it.
  56. Jan 20, 2014
    Don't trust a single review of this game that is giving any rates above 8. If you doubt me, just create an account at marvel heroes' forums and check out all the names giving this game a high rate. It's the same fanboybase that is left of that game doing what they are told to by the devs - being told to head to metacritic and give this game a high rate. Just check out gazillions over theDon't trust a single review of this game that is giving any rates above 8. If you doubt me, just create an account at marvel heroes' forums and check out all the names giving this game a high rate. It's the same fanboybase that is left of that game doing what they are told to by the devs - being told to head to metacritic and give this game a high rate. Just check out gazillions over the internet and see the blatant lies they spew all around to try to get this game out of life support. Expand
  57. Jul 19, 2013
    Ignore early reviews of this game. It's not an accurate portrayal of how the game is right now. Was there some issues early on? Definitely. Is it getting better each week? Most definitely. The game is fun and it keeps getting more fun. They have the best communication between developers and fans that I have ever seen. They are all over their forums answering questions (and toughIgnore early reviews of this game. It's not an accurate portrayal of how the game is right now. Was there some issues early on? Definitely. Is it getting better each week? Most definitely. The game is fun and it keeps getting more fun. They have the best communication between developers and fans that I have ever seen. They are all over their forums answering questions (and tough questions that most gaming staffs would ignore). Give this game a chance. It was released too early but it's getting there. Plus, it's free. Expand
  58. Oct 14, 2013
    On its own, its an above average-to-good gaming experience, especially if you appreciate the Marvel lore. One has to wonder if Gazillion has a balancing nightmare on their hands, with so many heroes (and future heroes, due to the monetization system) that each have their own playing characteristics and iterations of re-balancing, along with mob re-balancing, that Gazillion is faced with aOn its own, its an above average-to-good gaming experience, especially if you appreciate the Marvel lore. One has to wonder if Gazillion has a balancing nightmare on their hands, with so many heroes (and future heroes, due to the monetization system) that each have their own playing characteristics and iterations of re-balancing, along with mob re-balancing, that Gazillion is faced with a perpetual "wack-a-mole" situation. With that in mind, I understand that making and balancing games is hard, especially one built on the premise of playing a large number of Marvel heroes. As a fan, we'll just have to be understanding and roll with the punches until a happy medium can be found. The trade off is that we get to experience an ARPG with a variety of playing styles, more so than any other ARPG that the market provides.

In a way it reminds me of the old City of Heroes: for all its perceived flaws and balancing issues, it was an incredibly fun game to play for the variety of experiences it offered. The challenge for Gazillion is to keep adding more player experiences beyond the obvious "try a new hero" method. The starting story mode with its production value was pleasing, and I hope more of this kind of thing is added in the future.

If offers a lot for free.
  59. Jul 19, 2013
    This game has more potential and passion behind it then any other ARPG on the market. Although it is pretty rough now, devs are working on improving the game like crazy. I believe that in a year or so this game is gonna be one of the best ARPG ever made.
  60. Jun 18, 2013
    free2play diablo style (better than diablo3 imho, like gameplay)
    - the big world of Marvel can become this game awesome with the future dlc/expansions
    - you start with few free heroes, some people blame the price of the heroes..yes,it's true,that is a bit high..BUT..heroes and skins can be dropped, and i think that this kind of loot is the best of all loot in other world mmo!!! - i
    free2play diablo style (better than diablo3 imho, like gameplay)
    - i have found some things to improve, support me in this thread to make the game better:

61. Jun 5, 2013
    Diablo-style gameplay with less strategic depth and added Marvel franchise. The experience is pleasant but not amazing. Probably the most frustrating aspects come from the monetization approach, with overpriced unlocks, some amount of nuisance unlocks (inventory space for example), and random exceptionally rare character drops during normal play. If you want to play a specific hero,Diablo-style gameplay with less strategic depth and added Marvel franchise. The experience is pleasant but not amazing. Probably the most frustrating aspects come from the monetization approach, with overpriced unlocks, some amount of nuisance unlocks (inventory space for example), and random exceptionally rare character drops during normal play. If you want to play a specific hero, you will absolutely have to pay for it (and pay a lot, one character can run up to 20$ for just that one), and it is possible to grind for days only to have the exact same character dropped twice in a row. This also means that any hope of playing as a 'collector' (getting one of each) is lost unless you just agree to pay for all of them, which once again ties back to the overpriced individual character unlocks.

End result all right base game, but hampered hard by greed.
  62. Jun 12, 2013
    This game was a total let down. I bought the supposed Premium pack with all the unlocked characters but got nothing. Response from support was the site is still in development. Would like my back at this point in time.
  63. Jun 13, 2013
    This game is pathetic. Heroes are unbalanced, and the skill tree is awful. Not to mention it's riddled with bugs, and the most disappointing thing about this game is the fact that I was looking forward to it. Why anyone would spend 200$ on this is beyond me. I feel sorry for those that did, and hope they contact suicide prevention services immediately.
  64. Jun 6, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is too early come out. That is the first thing you need to know. Good thing is that this game has potential. But overall is fun. They need lot of work on content, end game, pvp and balance.

Really like animation, music, action and overall gameplay. But dislike maps and that you can not change your visual character but only with costume. And cash shop is too expensive for me. Spiderman 20 is too much if you ask me.
  65. Jul 2, 2015
    This game has improved a lot since its release, but I'm still not a huge fan. It looks an plays like something from a decade ago. Its free to try though. If you're into ARPGs like Diablo or Torchlight it might be worth a try.
  66. Jan 15, 2014
    First off I want to mention that I played this game and beta and played for a good 120 hrs after it released. At launch this game was pretty rough i won't lie. The system for obtaining new heroes left a lot to be desired if you didn't want to P2W. I came back to this game in late November and have not been able to put it down since and this considering I own both next gen systems this isFirst off I want to mention that I played this game and beta and played for a good 120 hrs after it released. At launch this game was pretty rough i won't lie. The system for obtaining new heroes left a lot to be desired if you didn't want to P2W. I came back to this game in late November and have not been able to put it down since and this considering I own both next gen systems this is really saying something. Since I stopped playing in August they have added, Emma Frost, Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage, Human Torch, Loki, and Ghost Rider as playable Heroes with Nightcrawler dropping at the end of this month. The biggest difference with the game now is that they have a system in place where you can earn any hero you want for free with in game loot called eternity splinters. No longer do you have to hope and pray for a hero token to drop as loot and then be disappointed by getting someone you didn't want in the first place. It is possible to play as every hero in the game without every spending a single penny. With the big 2.0 update they also added an entire new chapter to the story which takes place in Asgard and features the addition of legendary items you can buy with loot called odin marks. These legendary items provide amazing buffs for whatever hero you put them on and the artifact actually levels its stats as you your character does. They also now have several very cool end game modes such as green and red terminal daily missions which are basically boss levels from the story, a very addicting survival mode called X-Defense, and a PVP arena called Fire and Ice. Since returning to the game I have logged another 150 hrs into it and have not regretted a second of it. The only items you really have to pay for with money are costumes (which are completely aesthetic) and additional storage space called STASH tabs. There is still a chance for extra costumes to drop as loot in the game but it is very very rare, last I heard it was a half of 1% chance. You can also obtain a handful of costumes from opening fortune cards but overall costumes seem to be the way that Gazillion make their money and keep the lights on. I spent $40 on the game only because I felt the devs deserved it for doing a complete 180 with this game and correcting just about everything that was wrong in the first place. As I stated before you absolutely don't have to spend any money on this game to enjoy it, and it is in no way pay 2 win. The development team is also very active on the official forums on their website and really do listen to the community as a number of costumes requested by the players have made it into the game. Lastly there is a slew of amazing content on the way this year as they plan to add at least 12 new playable characters (including villians), an all new raid mode, and an X-men inspired Danger Room. If you haven't played this game yet or left the game after its rough launch do yourself a favor and download it again being a F2P game you have absolutely nothing to lose. If your a fan of Marvel you will fall in love with this title. Expand
  67. Mar 4, 2014
    Good Hero selection with more being added.
    The game is fun to play, As long as you pick a decent hero, some heroes SUCK (especially most melee ones) and are not balanced but others are fun, some are overpowered (like Iron man and Storm).
    The game itself needs to be a bit more difficulty (story mode and terminals specifically are to easy including cosmic). 1 Big downside is the lack
    Good Hero selection with more being added.

1 Big downside is the lack of bank space when starting (not paying for any) is extremely limited considering the amount of things you will want to save up for later especially when talking about having multiple characters.
  68. Sep 17, 2013
    yet again metacritic reviews are its downfall, the game has gone from strength to strength and now has multiple play throughs, extra missions and new characters, the game is constantly updating and gets better with every new patch, so far i have played over 500 hours and still have not found it boring, with the ability to collect shards which can then be used to unlock new characters,yet again metacritic reviews are its downfall, the game has gone from strength to strength and now has multiple play throughs, extra missions and new characters, the game is constantly updating and gets better with every new patch, so far i have played over 500 hours and still have not found it boring, with the ability to collect shards which can then be used to unlock new characters, cosmic items, specials etc.

you don't have to be a marvel fan to love this game and the fact its 100% free too boot rates it 10/10, the only costs involved are if you don't want to work to unlock additional characters otherwise its a great F2P.
  69. Sep 21, 2014
    I recently started playing this game (30 days in, about 100 hours of playtime) so I don't have personal history of what it has gone through, but wow is it underrated. This game is an absolute blast particularly if you like marvel characters. There's lots of content, a full 9 chapter story mode with comic book style cinematics, boss run modes called "terminals", Challenge modes which areI recently started playing this game (30 days in, about 100 hours of playtime) so I don't have personal history of what it has gone through, but wow is it underrated. This game is an absolute blast particularly if you like marvel characters. There's lots of content, a full 9 chapter story mode with comic book style cinematics, boss run modes called "terminals", Challenge modes which are survival waves and an open area with events that spawn every few minutes and random spawning packs mobs, a good handful of hub areas to chill out in, a raid zone, weekly events with special items and bonuses, 2 short story areas, and more coming.

Not to mention 38 heroes (at the time of writing) with more on the way already announced. There are also LOTS of villains to fight and many will soon be playable!

This game plays like an action RPG similar to a Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest game, but with marvel heroes and super hero powers.

It's free to play, but there are a lot of micro-transactions. Thankfully, you can get most of the things free using in game currency like new heroes and team ups. The one thing you may end up spending cash on is to increase your storage space. You get on box/page for free plus what your hero and hold and some space for your team up (even if you don't have a team up you can still use their inventory space). But if you play for a while you'll probably end up wanting more to hold all your phat loot :).

Graphics are nice, some of the ability effects are really crazy - great eye candy, while some of the environment are a bit mediocre the new content looks really amazing (Odin's Palace is beautiful). The character voices are amazing - really well done and the concessional interactions with other characters is often hilarios - for example sometimes when Rocket Racoon gets near Iron Man hes says something like "Do you think I could get on of those in my size?" and Cyclops will ask "Staying out of trouble Gambit? Didn't think so." Makes the characters feel more lifelike.

Anyways give it a shot, lots of fun - don't let the old reviews spoil it, this game is amazing.
  70. Jun 20, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, but there is one thing atm, u need to play alot in your head I know the gameplay of different heroes is often the same, but when im playing as Iron Man, in my head im Iron Man, with powerful armor on me and reactor on my chest, when im playing as Hawkeye, im deadly and precise.
    Gazillion Entertainment releases big patches once per week, so im waiting about
    Gazillion Entertainment releases big patches once per week, so im waiting about one month and give this game a chance for being better and bigger. But now, im giving 9 for about 90 hours spent as Iron Man in this great universe.
  71. Jun 21, 2013
    The game is a soulless money milking machine.
    The gameplay sucks, the graphic is outdate. There is no endgame, no itemization. Everything is just a boring grind (15 players Limbo? most supid thing I've ever seen in a game).
    The game is a soulless money milking machine.
    Also, their customer service is rude and careless. Same for the dev, they don't care about the community and are so busy to censor intelligent posts in their forum than to fix the game.

This game is terrible, it is basically a broken alpha and it's going to die very soon. Do yourself a favor and avoid it.
  72. Jun 23, 2013
    I was expecting this to be an awesome game, but It was really just a medicore game. Similar to diablo, the gameplay was really fun, but it grew repetitive and tedious fast. The graphics are not the best, but they're still pretty good. And the crafting seemed like a feature they could of left out. Marvel hereos is fun, but only for a couple of days.
  73. Jun 11, 2013
    Marvel heroes a game recently released by Gazillion Entertainment and is being sold us an APRG plus MMO.

Before people dive into this game it is important to understand this game is Free to Play. That means you can play the entire game without having to spend a dime. If you op for this route, you have the option to play as 1 of the 5 starter heroes and will be given 2 additional starter heroes after you beat the first quest and the last quest. However, if you want to get one of other heroes like Iron Man, Hulk or Ms Marvel, you can either buy them off the shop or wait for them to drop randomly in game. Currently the prices for heroes in my opinion are a bit overpirced but recent communication between the Developers and the community has started giving me hope that the prices will be readjusted.

In terms of the game play itself, I personally believe someone will have a lot of fun if they enjoy playing as their favourite Marvel Hero and destroying things left and right. Each hero has specific abilites and all of them each have 3 skill trees that allow for one hero to be played in different ways. However, the idea of having skill trees may be nice but certain heroes currently have very imbalanced abilities making it feel like there can only be one build for the hero. Hopefully the Devs can figure these things out and come up with a solution ASAP.

My current problem with the game is the lack of content it has with Endgame. Most games that are called MMOs and ARPGS usually have a few things that give players something to continue to play after Endgame such as Legendary loot, replaying story through higher difficulties, epic group events and Player vs Player. Currently there is group events and PVP but the quality in both these areas is lacking. Epic group events in this game revolve around either doing a form of horde based game mode involving 15 players or you can be in a group of 5 and turn of portals called Rifts. The idea works is solid but the map variety as well as the inability to find groups makes doing these events solo.

There is no denying Marvel Heroes was released too early and would have benefited from more beta tests. However, here we are and so far I am really enjoying the game play. If Gazillion can make some of the changes listed than the game will be a lot better. Currently if your looking to try new games, definitely give Marvel Heroes a go
  74. Jun 18, 2013
    Its not bad, pretty fun and for free. Not sure what the complaints are really about. Its free and fun.
    I think it had a better than average launch especially taking into account all the AAA rating Paying games disasters and bugs.
    It can only get better as they add new free content and iron out some price wrinkles.
  75. Aug 4, 2013
    this game had huge potential but flopped when it decided to go 2D mouse clicking game. certainly doesnt compete with any other major MMO's out there right now. the pricing is also terrible and laughable also
  76. Jun 11, 2013
    Very enjoyable, I purchased the $200 founder pack and find it to be worth every penny. However if you try to play this as just a free to play game it's a terrible game.
  77. Jun 10, 2013
    If this game had launched with anything but marvel in its title. everything about it would have been trashed. That being said, the only redeeming features of the game are its playable characters (almost all of which are buried beneath an insane cash shop) and the stylized comic cutscenes.

Outside of that, you have a poor mans diablo which costs nearly 300% more to unlock the basic features of the same game.
  78. Jul 25, 2013
    There is just no way that the people giving this game a 10 are real reviewers, it looks like a lot of fluff made by people paid to write reviews. The first few "10's" I clicked on have only written one review..hmmm. I sense some dirty pool. I confess I played for about an hour and wanted to like it but immediately uninstalled, it was just the same tired ARPG genre well trodden and moreThere is just no way that the people giving this game a 10 are real reviewers, it looks like a lot of fluff made by people paid to write reviews. The first few "10's" I clicked on have only written one review..hmmm. I sense some dirty pool. I confess I played for about an hour and wanted to like it but immediately uninstalled, it was just the same tired ARPG genre well trodden and more well done in games like D3 and torchlight 2. They slapped some marvel universe on the genre, and then charged absolutely ridiculous prices to try and buy more heroes. The initial 'get everything' pack was almost 200 dollars...., to buy all dlc would be $250. For a game that is this completely average that price point just to play with all of the heroes in this "Free to play game" is an absolute slap in the face. I literally still cannot believe they think this trash is worth $250 to anyone. It blows my mind. I saw nothing innovative, nothing new..even the loot and talent systems seemed poorly and generically done. Stay away from this waste of bandwidth to even download the title. The money grubbing aspect of free to play games has reached new heights. Expand
  79. Jun 6, 2014
    this game is amazing the dev team is one of the best they are always updating the game, events happen like every weekend and they always do free giveaways ive put over 1000 hours into this game and i still enjoy every min of it i give it a 10/10 great job dev team keep up the good work
  80. Jul 26, 2013
    Time to open your wallets people, because this free to play game rivals Neverwinter as one of the most expensive in the history of gaming. To get 4 characters you'll be stumping up a massive £65.00. Yes that is £65.00 for a tiny subset of characters. Don't even thing about buying everything as you'll not be eating for a month if you do.

On top of that, once you've paid you'll find

On top of that, once you've paid you'll find yourself playing something more akin to a facebook game.

Really, just don't bother. Grab yourself a copy of Torchlight II and have loads more fun for less.
  81. Jul 4, 2013
    I played the game for about 3 hours and then promptly uninstalled and deleted it from my computer. It's not bad but it's not good either. in the end you can tell it's just one more cash grab in an ocean of games. I knew what to expect from this game going in though I didn't have that high of expectations for it. If it wasn't for the fact it had Marvel heroes in the game nobody would beI played the game for about 3 hours and then promptly uninstalled and deleted it from my computer. It's not bad but it's not good either. in the end you can tell it's just one more cash grab in an ocean of games. I knew what to expect from this game going in though I didn't have that high of expectations for it. If it wasn't for the fact it had Marvel heroes in the game nobody would be wasting their time with this game. For me it was just plain boring I was actually forcing myself to keep going in the hopes it got interesting but it didn't. Expand
  82. Jun 9, 2013
    It has a solid game play, with different characters giving different play styles, and also different enemies on different level, map variations, but it's shallow because it's was following or trying to be the same with other games that have similar game play. while it's nice to play until you can finish the story, but after that you will just feel flat, repetitive and boring.
  83. Jun 21, 2013
    Summary: If you like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, go play it again; its been years, you'll probably have fun. This game is a very pale shadow of that one and brings nothing new to the table.

This game is a buggy Diablo clone and proud of it. Game creation seems to have followed these steps: Step 1: Make a Diablo-clone engine; skimp on QA; nobody will care if the game just doesn't run or

Step 1: Make a Diablo-clone engine; skimp on QA; nobody will care if the game just doesn't run or you have serious problems, its free-to-play.
    Step 2: Populate it with the story and some of the characters from the 7-year-old Ultimate Alliance game.
    Step 3: Release.

Where are the issues?
    In step 1, they made a decent-looking engine and packaged it with a terrible installer; patching the game has on multiple occasions caused it to stop working, completely aside from the occasional server outages, leading to a frustrating uninstall/redownload/reinstall cycle that Steam users can avoid some but not all of. This points to a lack of a decent QA department; or more likely a lack of paying attention to said department; and/or mediocre programming.

Step 2 is the more frustrating part, however. This game's plot reads very much like the plot of ultimate alliance. In fact: "Doctor Doom has a scheme involving gathering villainous allies and artifacts so that he can have divine levels of power and reshape the world in his own image; a variety of Marvel-universe heroes combine to stop him." is the plot for both games. While Ultimate Alliance took you underwater, to the far reaches of space, to demon hellscapes, cities, and all sorts, Marvel Heroes takes you to.. mostly boring earth cities and wilderness, along with places you already saw in Ultimate Alliance.

If you think I'm making alot of comparisons between the games, there's a good reason;
    Ultimate Alliance let you play as the whole roster for one price, was an action-oriented game you could play offline, local co-op, or online with friends, featured plenty of power customization, various costumes, and even some item collection, had jumping, picking and tossing items, and so forth.
    Marvel Heroes is... a 2D version of ultimate alliance with no initial cost and a much higher eventual one if you want to unlock many heroes. The gameplay is incredibly similar with the only truly noticable difference being the tedious effort of collecting and managing identical-looking pieces of gear; items that don't even impact character appearance but just background stats.

Do not play this game. Do not give these people your time or your money. For the price of the Iron Man and Spiderman unlocks for this game, you can have Ultimate Alliance in one of its many versions shipped to you, and play the same story, on much more interesting locations, with a more diverse cast of characters, still play it with your friends as a team, and not worry about the incompetent programmers at Gazillion.
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a decent game, but the lack of hero customization options, narrow skill trees, and the low difficulty level was too much for me to ignore. I was hoping the game would get better with time and start to require skill, but I couldn't wait any longer. It's too bad, I was really excited to play this game.
  85. Jun 13, 2013
    I had such high hopes and was waiting for this game, when it came out and played it for a week to attempt to give it a go...was truly saddened. I pray to god Stan Lee does not ever see this game and is not involed with it in any way. if he is... I lost all faith in comics and died inside.
  86. Jun 4, 2013
    This game is a ton of fun. It a terribly rocky launch but things are smooth now. It still has bugs though but that's common with launches. They should be ironed out soon. Every character is a blast to play and after beating the main missions the end game content will keep you coming back for more. I'm not much of PVPer so you'll have to check another review for that. Right now the game isThis game is a ton of fun. It a terribly rocky launch but things are smooth now. It still has bugs though but that's common with launches. They should be ironed out soon. Every character is a blast to play and after beating the main missions the end game content will keep you coming back for more. I'm not much of PVPer so you'll have to check another review for that. Right now the game is a 7 out 10 with potential to be a 9 or 10 once everything is more balanced and the bugs are gone. Expand
  87. Jun 4, 2013
    Looking at the patch notes and seeing no cure for the arduous grind, lack of any update to visual effects or character animations that have been severely lacking for a long time, awful itemization, overly repetitive endgame and simplistic enemy design, greedy cash shop, awkward looking combat with very little visual recognition making many attacks lack any sense of impact. It pales inLooking at the patch notes and seeing no cure for the arduous grind, lack of any update to visual effects or character animations that have been severely lacking for a long time, awful itemization, overly repetitive endgame and simplistic enemy design, greedy cash shop, awkward looking combat with very little visual recognition making many attacks lack any sense of impact. It pales in comparison at launch to nearly every single ARPG on the market, even Diablo 3 is of a higher quality than this(a game which David Brevik hypocritically called out for being poor, while committing the exact same mistakes Blizzard did in his own new take on the ARPG genre).

I did spend 200$ for the Ultimate Pack, but am very disappointed with the little effort they've been putting in ever since they introduced the endgame patch. I know this game is going to receive low review scores, and ratings. I knew it would before it was even released. The only thing I care about is seeing whether that negative criticism will influence them to actually make some substantial changes.

In the beta, and even during the week long pre-release event a lot of people have been voicing some extremely relevant criticism that has not even been touched on by the developers, and that is extremely worrying to me. They have to be aware of all of these problems and are taking a wait and see approach to how the influx of people respond to their game. The things we all pointed out were sticking points that most of us knew would bring in negative press if they didn't attempt to fix them, but they chose to ignore or at least not openly acknowledge the concerns we raised.

I have to say, this game is a very interesting combination of Marvel 'Diablo'(ARPG) which I think most video game enthusiasts consider a match made in heaven. I did too, that was why I (wrongly) bought the Ultimate Pack. Having reached level 36 in this pre-release and losing almost every ounce of motivation to continue given the grind wall I had hit and the repetitive and unforgiving nature of solo play at later levels, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach to whether I am going to devote a significant amount of time to this game. I may play a little bit for the next few weeks, but I can't see it lasting.

Based on the choices they've made, if the metacritic score is terrible, nobody could say they didn't see it coming.
  88. Jun 4, 2013
    A game that had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined with a greedy cash shop. You can still have some fun with it, but not for too long with the overpriced heroes($20 for the popular ones), insanely expensive costumes, $6 storage tabs(for a grossly small storage space, with crafting items that purposely don't stack). They even sell hour long XP boosts and item rarity boosts to make sureA game that had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined with a greedy cash shop. You can still have some fun with it, but not for too long with the overpriced heroes($20 for the popular ones), insanely expensive costumes, $6 storage tabs(for a grossly small storage space, with crafting items that purposely don't stack). They even sell hour long XP boosts and item rarity boosts to make sure you have keep paying to keep up. Expand
  89. Jun 4, 2013
    The game has its flaws but is alot of fun.

The game has its flaws but is alot of fun.

Alot of people complain about the limited number of heroes (currently 21, soon to be 26), but each hero is so unique and fun to play that it really becomes a non issue. Plus you can build each hero in different ways and wear different costumes, so you never really feel like a clone, and even if you did, smashing everything up as the hulk is just too much fun to be legal.

If you are on the fence about the game, it's free. Ignore the haters, pick any of the starter heroes and watch your time dissapear. You won't regret it.
  90. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is one of those rare titles that is completely Free to Play. If you want to play as your favorite hero immediately, and they are not one of the 5 free starter-heroes, you can buy them immediately in the store or wait for them to drop in game.

The game is hugely influenced by Diablo 2, which makes sense consider David Brevik is the president of Gazillion Entertainment, the studio responsible for Marvel Heroes. If you like diverse builds, scavenging for rare loot, and epic boss battles, then there is no reason not to give this game a try, especially since it is free.

It is true that the Founder's Pack launch was a little rough, but Gazillion has already made up for that in bounds with compensation, where other companies would have said, "deal with it."

I can honestly say that I will be playing this game for years to come, and the developers appear to be more than willing to support longevity with content updates and additional characters. Every character added constitutes a new class, which means the game is launching with 20+ classes! That is insane!
  91. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is is what diablo should have been.

Marvel Heroes is is what diablo should have been.

That being said, there is room for improvements, but they already designed that into the game. Unlike diablo, MH has the MMO influence. So not only will new heroes be released, but new content will be released. There are already five other heroes that have been announced for future release. Since each hero presents a different play flavor, the game has great replay value.

One reviewer stated the game has only 20 hours of content. I cannot disagree more. Yesterday I played for twelve hours and only have my hero up to level 14. I'm pretty sure I won't finish the storyline in another eight hours since I haven't hit the halfway point yet. However, I'm a person who like to open up a map completely before moving on. I can imagine someone who races toward the endgame and doesn't know how to enjoy the content could do it in less time, but it's at their loss. While this is the players choice, complaining about their choices isn't the fault of the game.

Since the game is F2P, no has to ever purchase anything in the store....ever. Everything in the store can be obtained as loot drops in the game from heroes to costumes to respec devices to pets. So complaining about store prices is a moot point. If one doesn't like them, don't purchase them. It is interesting to note that the reviewers complaining about content are also complaining about store prices; I assume this is the $2win mentality, which I think is pretty worthless.

Since MH has an MMO influence, daily missions at endgame are to be expected. MH has put in three levels of this content starting today at launch. In addition, they have added content, which would accurately be called a raid in an MMO. Additionally, there is PvP for those who enjoy that mess.

The reviewer who states he paid $80 for four heroes and eight costumes is misrepresenting the cost, which was $60. Keep in mind $60 is the going price for a game today, and this isn't a necessary expenditure to play. Also, no particular hero is core content and costumes certainly are not core content. There are five heroes from which the player gets to choose one for free to begin (Personally, I enjoy Scarlet Witch, but the others are fun to play, too). Each hero comes with a costume at start; others can be purchased or received as loot drops. Naming these as "core" content is nothing short of a lie.

Unfortunately, during the last patch (not counting the one from today), quite a few bugs have been reintroduced into the game. However, this is good, as it were, because almost all of them were removed previously so they won't be around long. Some issues arose during early access that either were resolved or still in the process as top priority for the company and the bugs are a part of it. However, with the patch today, many; but not all; of the bugs have been addressed. However, in over 15 years of online gaming, I have yet to see a bug-free launch. So some headaches are to be expected.

There are some inventory issues that some would expound negatively on, such as crafting materials lack of stacking. It has already been announced that crafting mats will eventually stack, but it will be sometime after launch. Also, crafting mats can be and will need to be upgraded; so combining mats saves space. Medkits stack to ten and healing is each person's endeavor; so I carry around 50 of them at any given time. Hero inventory contains 48 slots, but there is extra inventory available. One general tab is open with two others purchasable, as well as 3 crafting tabs, and one tab for each hero. Purchased heroes come with unlocked tabs. Each tab holds 48 items as well. So you start with 96 slots (possibly 144; not sure if the starting hero's tab is open) and can open up somewhere well over 1000 of them. Although, numerous trips to sell are necessary at the moment, any complaints about inventory space are really based on laziness. Each trip to the vendors ultimately result in increased vendor and crafting levels, allowing better gear purchases and more crafting recipes opening up. So even in the interruptions to battle, there is progress made.

For those who are giving poor review--especially when they haven't even played the game yet--I'm not sure what to say. Perhaps playing the game will bring one to an opinion which is more accurate.
  92. Jun 4, 2013
    I have played since closed beta and I have to say I really enjoy this game. The early access was a little rough, but things seem to have been sorted out and they are working out the final bugs pretty quickly.

The gameplay is a ton of fun. There is open world zones with many players, group bosses & missions. There is also group/solo instances, crafting & an actual endgame. I have

I have played all of the Diablo games, Torchlight & Titan Quest and I really think this is one of the best ARPG games out. Also, the game is free to play so if you enjoy this kind of game there is no reason not to try it out.
  93. Jun 4, 2013
    the game is a direct clone of the original Diablo series...but lacks any amount of depth in most areas. Though they have done a great job of capturing the look of the Marvel Heroes..thats pretty much all this game has done. the core game has enough content that you will complete it within your first 20-22 levels... then it becomes a tedious grind as you work your way to 60 using not thethe game is a direct clone of the original Diablo series...but lacks any amount of depth in most areas. Though they have done a great job of capturing the look of the Marvel Heroes..thats pretty much all this game has done. the core game has enough content that you will complete it within your first 20-22 levels... then it becomes a tedious grind as you work your way to 60 using not the open world you level in...but standing around running your short repeats of boss fights at mission terminals.

Skill trees are shallow, and odds are every person playing the same hero, will have the exact same setup. This is because Gazillion decided to lock re-specing your hero in their cash shop...making the idea of experimenting with builds (one of the main hooks in the Diablo series) an expensive one at $5 bucks a pop. The "retcon" as it it is called does have a very very small chance at dropping in game, but checking in the forums, many, many people have played up to level 30+ already, and never gotten one...not that a single one would be much good anyhow. And since you can only have one of each hero...and their is no re rolling..you are stuck with any skills you chose, or you must pay them.
    And speaking of the cash shop...

People like to say "But it's free..." Well, yes..but no it isn't. Of the 20 available characters, you get to choose ONE of 5 starters (Daredevil, Scarlet Witch, Storm, thing and Hawkeye). You also have 2 chances between the start and story finish where you MIGHT get another of the starters (I say might, because they have made it random..so you could end up with copies of the one you already have... thats right.. you can recieve duplicate character tokens...but you can only have one of any hero..so the duplicates must be used post level 30 to upgrade your Ultimate Power.... Lame.

Characters average about between $6 $20 each. Costumes from $10- $15. Mind you, this is to repeat the same content, and costumes add nothing but an appearance change...yet they charge as though you are getting a new game each time. Tie inthe fact that these are also supposed to have a chance to drop in game...but it's purely random. so if you have plans to play a specific hero, you're encouraged to buy it in the store, as your chance of getting THE ONE YOU WANT are slim to none. Again, drop rates are tweaked t be under 1% chance..from ANY mob (no place you can farm for a specific drop..it's all random, and from anything). And of course it's because they are pushing their overpriced cash shop. How overpriced you say...well, at last count, the Ultimate pack, which was pre sold for 200.00 (already ridiculous) wouold cost you close to $1,500.00 after launch, if you tried to buy what all was included (and that wasn't including the missing 5-6 characters that didnt make launch.

Early access was a mess, with many many people still not able to logon to the game as late as yesterday. Bugs abound from sounds to graphics. Characters have zero balance, abilities not scaling, or working, what they call PvP....uuugh. Lets also not leave out, that once you clear the story mode, that their is no additional content to keep you leveling to 60..other than the mission terminals I mentioned. Which is simply bosses with their powers boosted in a cheesy way...oh..and characters made WEAKER as y ou add people to your group. Made weaker so that the boss is "more challenging"... but it's more like broken. And also, another item, cosmic keys, you must pay for (or hope the RNG gods are good to you) to enter special content. Content behind a pay-wall...again.

So if you are into Marvel comics, then this game will cater you you visually...but if you are looking for innovative, fun gameplay, and fair pricing this is not the game you're looking for. If you are looking for an MMO (as they want to call this thing..lol), then this is definitely not for you.
  94. Jun 4, 2013
    First off all, this game is getting a lot of heat because people can't read. It doesn't release until 10AM PDT today. Just letting people know.

Secondly: This game is fun. I know, that is subjective and depends one what people like, but at the base of it, kicking bad guys into the air and watching their ragdoll bodies do back-flips is just one of the great things about this game.

Secondly: This game is fun.

I know, that is subjective and depends one what people like, but at the base of it, kicking bad guys into the air and watching their ragdoll bodies do back-flips is just one of the great things about this game. There's tons of actions, interesting fights against a wide variety of enemies. Funny one-liner quips from the heroes and minions alike. A HUGE variety of heroes with individual power-set and a simple control system that I wasn't used to at first but now enjoy quite a bit.

This is not a complex game. This is a smash-things-up and hang out with your friends game. It has the spirit of Diablo 2 and that game was some of the best multiplayer of its day.

...and its Free to play. Always a plus.
  95. Jun 4, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun. It's taking a little bit to get the kinks out, but a licensed rpg can be a real pain to balance. The heroes all feel unique and the game does an amazing job staying true to marvel lore.
    There were issues with early launch but gaz stepped up and is offering compensation. I have no regrets about purchasing characters and would recomend this game to any arpg or comic fans out there.
  96. Sep 7, 2013
    I want to update my previous review score of a six up to nine with the new 1.2 patch now being live. From launch to now the game has improved dramatically. Heroes feel much more fun an heroic. Defense has been overhauled. There are now multiple difficulties of the story along with the end game mission terminals. They have added some interesting loot options, most recently unique itemsI want to update my previous review score of a six up to nine with the new 1.2 patch now being live. From launch to now the game has improved dramatically. Heroes feel much more fun an heroic. Defense has been overhauled. There are now multiple difficulties of the story along with the end game mission terminals. They have added some interesting loot options, most recently unique items for each hero and a new type of item slot. There is now a far more reliable way to earn heroes/upgrades to your ultimate ability. I'm sure there are even more upgrades I love that i am forgetting, but this at least scratches the surface. Expand
  97. Jun 12, 2013
    I would have gladly paid $40 for this game if it had a proper single player campaign. The MMO aspect and the insane pricing ($6-$20 for a single character?!?! Are you F'n kidding me?!?!?!) ruin the whole experience for me. I love ARPG's and Marvel so hopefully this will get better with future updates.
  98. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an average Action RPG. It follows in the footsteps Diablo, Path of Exile, and Torchlight. I would say the game has turned out to be average. It provides decent entertainment and it's free to play. If you're a fan of these style of games as well as a fan of Marvel, why not give it a try.
  99. Jun 5, 2013
    Its a pretty gud game, Can be played casually or anyway u want. It offers a lot of stuff for hardcore players and casual. The game's fairly so it is hard to say how good it is at the moment, But after 50 hours of gameplay so far on early access i believe that the game has potential considering that it has marvel licence for releasing potential heroes into the game. They can add a lot ofIts a pretty gud game, Can be played casually or anyway u want. It offers a lot of stuff for hardcore players and casual. The game's fairly so it is hard to say how good it is at the moment, But after 50 hours of gameplay so far on early access i believe that the game has potential considering that it has marvel licence for releasing potential heroes into the game. They can add a lot of playable heroes for the game. The game's offer a lot of fun. For a free to play game it is definetly worth a try. Expand
  100. Jun 7, 2013
    Solid ARPG. Game definitely needs some work but the potential is there.

End game and PVP are somewhat lacking right now. But having 20+ heroes makes up for that.

1. games(TM)
    Jul 28, 2013
    There's the hollow shell of a game. [Issue#137, p.116]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Under-delivers on the promise of the licence. A middling action-RPG that you’d have to be a Marvel fan to love.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    At the end of the day, though, these few good points don’t make up for the flaws with what should be the most important elements of a game like this - the combat and the loot grind - and an overall lack of polish. Being free to play, you don’t lose out on anything but 15 odd gigabytes of your data cap if you want to give Marvel Heroes a go, but with that said, it’s hard to recommend this game over the other free to play lootfests that are around.