Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut PC

6.4

1. Jun 27, 2013
    ok after the ending of mass effect 3 comes this DLC to put things together and yes i liked it very much they set things together although not everything was explained but still i liked this ending so much better that the other ending
  2. Aug 29, 2012
    It was neccesary, it cleared all my doubts and made the endings make more sense.
    It repaired a lot of damage caused by the horrible endings but many things are still unexplained.
    However, now i don't feel empty anymore and i'm not that angry as i used to be.
    I think they delivered a fantastic content and its well worth playing it.
  3. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The extended cut has left me pretty satisfied, although there were a few bits I wished they did. More narration on the slide shows, and on Shepard's companions - like how they did in Baldur's Gate 2. Although the slide shows do give you a good enough impression on certain situations/characters, they don't show all of them.

But quite honestly this is good enough for me. I said to a friend that after ME3's original ending, I was done with Bioware. I was very reluctant to load up the Extended Cut due to further disappointment, but luckily I was wrong. That said, I won't jump into a Bioware game blindly like I used to, but I won't shy away from them as I would have, if they did not release this extended cut.
    Kudos to the team for making me believe in your work again.
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My first play-throughs of the game always left me with a sense of emptiness, that my Shepard just spent years and sacrificed everything for nothing. Now with the extended cut I feel satisfied. I also like the added stuff on the run to the beam (I suggest taking your LI with you). Bioware did what many games would not and listened and improved upon the dismal ending. It won't satisfy everyone but it did me.

Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.
  5. Jul 1, 2012
    It's better than the original ending. To be fair I don't really like this either, but I think it wasn't possible to fix it completely, this is probably the best fix they could do.
  6. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. The EC improves upon the old ending by clarifying what the Starkid is: he is now basically comprehensible. It sticks in a fanservicey love-interest ("I love you, too") farewell in an odd spot (doing so adds a couple more incongruous and plot-holey things to the action). It tacks on some expository epilogues with still images that explain the consequences of Shepard's choices-- some of which are better wrought and more satisfying than others. There is also a new, fourth ending that allows Shepard to reject Starkid completely, but which has an immediate consequence and reveals how Bioware feels about players who would choose it. One of the bigger things they accomplish by retconning themselves is rescuing ME1 and ME2 from the suicide that the old ending forced on it. It won't feel utterly futile to play them anymore. And that's good.

However, if the EC was the ending that we got months ago, it still would have been mostly reviled. It would have still been clear that it was kicked out the door because time ran out, and that it was confused because Bioware had built a plot so convoluted that it was impossible for them to get every last duck in a row when the time came. And the EC doesn't solve (and couldn't-- because Bioware cannot jettison Starbrat) the major issue of what you do in the game before the ending being mostly meaningless. Everything points towards, at the very least, seeing your war assets in action for the final battle (like in Fallout:NV); but we still don't really get that, although they did add some filler with cutscenes depicting various forces as a sop to anyone who might notice.

The EC is the best we could reasonably expect out of BiowEAr; and I think that, as a PR effort, it is basically successful. The fans who, post-March, still care about the series enough to whine will probably be placated and ready to buy more DLC and future ME titles. As a stand-alone thing designed to do a certain thing it is basically a success. But as a proper ending to the Mass Effect trilogy? The galaxy still deserves better.

There are no critic reviews yet.