Mass Effect 3 PC

5.4

1. Mar 13, 2012
    After reading some quotes from former Bioware employees and the lecture of some articles on kotaku and Destructoid, calling us, fans, ignorants or comparing this whole situation to "Misery", I feel totally overwhelmed by the level of hypocrisy and meanness. It's funny how some ppl and sites are now mercilessly mocking us like some bunch of immature dorks, but at the same time, whileAfter reading some quotes from former Bioware employees and the lecture of some articles on kotaku and Destructoid, calling us, fans, ignorants or comparing this whole situation to "Misery", I feel totally overwhelmed by the level of hypocrisy and meanness. It's funny how some ppl and sites are now mercilessly mocking us like some bunch of immature dorks, but at the same time, while trying to convince us to devs products, their journalists are such a friendly buddies of ours (hey look, it's your old pal!).

Remember 'The Balloon Edition'? Oh my, how fun it was - climb a tree for your very own copy of ME3! Or that interview performed like in-game dialogue? Oh my, oh my!

But you know what? Now that you bought the game, we do not fu*k around with you anymore. NOW better run and crawl under your rock or we gonna get you. For real, not for fun. Seriously.

We are artists and we do our games AS WE LIKE, for us, not for you, and we owe you nothing. YOU owe us money if you want to play. That's our deal, got it?

All this remindes me of black humour as pictured in the Fallout universe; cheerful advertisements with some skeletons hanging around.

Do you really not see, that we - fans and devs - are two sides of the same coin? Ask yourself, for example, what would become of the Star Wars franchise without its fansbase; without all those crazy ppl, capable even of making their own SW movies? It would be forgotten dozens of years ago, not gaining even a slim % of its current profits.

WE are your fanbase Bioware. We praised your products, we were defending you if anyone called your games a crap. Youtube is full of our uploads, image hosts and Deviantart full of our mems and graphic. We supported you not only with our wallets, but also with our passion and enthusiasm. It's because of us "bosh'tet" or "I'm commander Shepard and this is my favourite shop in the galaxy" became a part of pop culture.

We are not raging because there is no happy ending like wedding cutscene with little blue kids and rainbow in the sky, or because OMG SHEPARD DIES!!!!111; it was quite obvious for us that you can't defat such an enemy as Reapers without losses. It is war after all, quite hopeless what's more. We are raging, because the end of our beloved series, that we were attached to for years, makes no goddamn, fu*ckin, sense! Moreover, it does not constitute - in any way - an answer to any of our efforts from all of the 3 games. In other words, we feel like we were just left with fist full of sh*t.

So it's really so hard to understand that we are pissed?

Let me quote mirracle of sound, performers of the famous "Commander Shepard" song:

The Mass Effect fans are't acting entitled. They aren't asking for the ending they deserve, they're asking for one Mass Effect
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    This was a miserable ending to a great trilogy. Simplified to the most basic possible level, one would imagine they would have time to make a good ending. There are no RPG elements in this game, its miserable. There is no exploring planets, the citidel is very small and not open. ME2 made the game more basic, but ME3 took it down to a stupid level. This is NOT what we expected/wanted fromThis was a miserable ending to a great trilogy. Simplified to the most basic possible level, one would imagine they would have time to make a good ending. There are no RPG elements in this game, its miserable. There is no exploring planets, the citidel is very small and not open. ME2 made the game more basic, but ME3 took it down to a stupid level. This is NOT what we expected/wanted from bioware. And the ending is not at all based on anything you did in any game what so ever. I repeat not at all based on your choices. Several things in the game happen in cutscense. Meaning that you dont have full control over the choices shepard makes. Not that it matters. Avoid. A miserable ending to a great series. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    BioWare did some great things with Mass Effect 3 in terms of character moments and inclusiveness. It's a shame that the incomprehensible ending overshadows all of it. I can't, in good conscience, recommend a game if I have to add "just stop before the end" on to the recommendation.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    You know that time in ME1 when you had to choose whether or not to kill the Rachni? I sat there for a few minutes weighing the options. Remember when you had to decide whether or not to kill the council? Or when you had to decide to kill the heretic geth? Or whether or not to save the collector base, saving or killing the quarians and geth again, curing the genophage, Samara orYou know that time in ME1 when you had to choose whether or not to kill the Rachni? I sat there for a few minutes weighing the options. Remember when you had to decide whether or not to kill the council? Or when you had to decide to kill the heretic geth? Or whether or not to save the collector base, saving or killing the quarians and geth again, curing the genophage, Samara or Morinth??? Yeah none of that mattered at all. Hope you didn't actually get emotionally invested in any of those choices like I did or you might just break the disc after the impossibly poorly put together ending. I will never play ME1, 2, or 3 again because I know the ending boils down to red, blue, or green so all the decisions you made are pointles... Oh yeah and hope you didn't like any of your romances as they really really don't matter. Expand
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    So, there's a lot of problems, like Day 1 DLC of content that Bioware blatantly removed from the game to sell as DLC, trying to make us feel sorry for a kid when our Shepherd have probably encountered worse tragedies, the incredibly lazy photo of unmasked, which is pretty much just a stock photo of a woman that had twenty minutes max in photoshop, the depressingly disappointing endings,So, there's a lot of problems, like Day 1 DLC of content that Bioware blatantly removed from the game to sell as DLC, trying to make us feel sorry for a kid when our Shepherd have probably encountered worse tragedies, the incredibly lazy photo of unmasked, which is pretty much just a stock photo of a woman that had twenty minutes max in photoshop, the depressingly disappointing endings, when Bioware told us that there would be a happy ending that we would have to fight hard for, and so many more. Not to mention being exclusive to Origin, which is a massive sin in itself.

I would have given this game just a five, as it's just that, an average game. However, since it's clear that Bioware bribed journalists and reviewers to give their game a good review, I decided to counter the inflated reviewer scores and give this game a zero.

Criticism and feedback is one of the most important things for a game developer. Unfortunately, it seems fanboys nowadays views criticism as a direct attack at them or the developers. Fanboys. Understand that criticism is the only way for a game developer to get better. Bioware probably suffered a overblown ego from the fanboys, which results in declining quality for their games. From a fan who enjoyed Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and even Dragon Age: Origins, it's just depressing to see all of this unfold. I can only hope that Bioware will return to their senses and start making quality games without Day 1 DLC. Also, DLC is a horrendous blight on the gaming industry and should never be supported ever unless it's purely cosmetic. Sincerely, The Checker.
  6. Mar 7, 2012
    EA and their Origin service have raped the good name of Bioware. Not only they pumping money with their **** websites, their customer service suck. With their so-called piracy protections, normal customers have problems playing the game they used money on. Prepare to pay up and get nothing in return when you're dealing with these guys.
  7. Mar 26, 2012
    I've heard about the outrage this game has caused amongst fans, and I actually thought this was nothing but an artistic argument - but I couldn't be more wrong.
    After finishing the game I can honestly say: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS.
    After finishing the game I can honestly say: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS.
    This game's ending completely disgraces the Mass Effect franchise. I can't even begin to describe how utterly disappointed and ripped off I feel. I actually paid money for this? I must be an idiot.
    If you liked the first two games, keep away from this one and pretend it never happened.
    I myself will not purchase another Bioware title ever again. Absolutely terrible Bioware! TERRIBLE!
  8. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm not one to just bomb a game for silly reasons. I can find redeeming features in almost any game to at least call it mediocre. But Mass Effect 3 is the biggest letdown in PC gaming history. ME1 was plagued with wonky, unintuitive controls and menu navigation, but painted a rich, colorful universe that just demanded exploring. And explore we did. The Mass Effect universe was second onlyI'm not one to just bomb a game for silly reasons. I can find redeeming features in almost any game to at least call it mediocre. But Mass Effect 3 is the biggest letdown in PC gaming history. ME1 was plagued with wonky, unintuitive controls and menu navigation, but painted a rich, colorful universe that just demanded exploring. And explore we did. The Mass Effect universe was second only to Dune. The storytelling and acting were deep and meaningful, and the game just FELT enormous, even if it wasn't. You had so much freedom to do things your way, that it was mind boggling.

The sequel narrowed the scope to your ship and your companions, telling a deeper, more personal story that blended wonderfully with the broad moral strokes in the first. Sure, you had to be a completion junkie to get the perfect ending, but the characters were fascinating, their stories meaningful, and the voice acting was superb. I really cared about the people I went to battle with, so much that I happily replayed it entirely just to make sure that one crew member survived.

And then comes three. It starts out very serious, if a bit disjointed. You have saved the galaxy twice, and you still got court-marshaled? Your estranged companion is thrust upon you and then taken away. Relevant members jump in and out at complete random, you have no control over whether or not people live or die, and the woefully limited, boring citadel (seriously? How do you make the CITADEL boring this time?) is just a place where you go to get side quests that are essentially a dull minigame that doesn't even encourage exploration. Your companions are very mismatched, with Garrus and EDI being the only really meaty characters. Joker is thrust into some disjointed, ultra-serious role, and the animations make his eyes look downright crazed. All the animations are pathetically stiff and wooden. Why not simply use the wonderfully animated SWTOR engine and simply transplant the gorgeous textures? The stories are short, the side quests are almost meaningless and always presented exactly the same way. You either fly around collecting items whose relevance is never explained, and running from reapers in the minigame, or you are on a tiny, repetitive map fighting for equally irrelevant resources. The combat is okay, but feels so sluggish and imprecise that you can feel the "controller-itis" in its DNA. So low marks there. Also, I don't know about the other classes, but the Vanguard feels downright worthless, with absolutely no synergy in its skills, whereas in the first two, it was a fast paced engine of destruction.

The new relationships are shallow, jerky, and forced upon you so quickly and back-to-back that it's laughable.

And then the whole story draws to a conclusion. All that work you did to unite the galaxy, seems to have no impact or weight whatsoever. The final mission is disjointed, and all it appears to change is the length of your cutscenes, because it all boils down to the ending. The choices you're presented with mirror nothing that makes sense, let alone what your goal was. No matter what type of person you chose to play in the Mass Effect series, the ending presents nothing that you have any interest in pursuing. Not to mention glaring plot holes and absurdities. The ending was so bad, it single handedly ruined the entire series for me. After learning how things turned out, I will probably never pick up a Mass Effect title again. Nothing you can do will alter the eventual outcome, either. Finally, we get to the day one DLC. I didn't knock off a point from Portal 2 for having it. That DLC was cosmetic and completely unnecessary. But the DLC that adds 1% to the game and costs 20% of its retail cost and should have OBVIOUSLY been included, is the final nail in the coffin for bioware. I don't like making broad generalizations, but after the awfulness that was I can't help but get the feeling that EA has finally destroyed what was once my favorite RPG makers. The Mass Effect universe was the most astonishingly well-conceived, lore-ridden universe in gaming history, and EA just destroyed it. The user score (and it's not like the /v/ bombing of portal 2, which I stood against) clearly shows that EA just pays for ratings, because while barely tolerable as a game itself, the second you finish it, there is no way you can seriously sit back and think "That made sense. That ending was totally logical."
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    Total disappointment. Mass Effect 3 universe is dead. I spent more time in ME/ME2 reading the Codex and discovering the well-built sci-fi world. But here... This is some sort of B-rated movie, CoD from BW
  10. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm terribly disappointed and dissatisfied by this "game". To tell the truth, I never thought about Mass Effect as an "shooter", but merely as an "Visual Novel" in its classical meaning - a book with CGI pictures, music and voice acting.

I never cared about the graphics or shooter/pseudo-rpg aspect of the game. The only strong point of Mass Effect 1/2 were the characters we, the players, interacted with.

Not only BioWare has crippled every single character's personality, but altered them in a truly terrible ways. Ashley being transgender?! Male Shepard being gay for random crew member?!! Tali's face being a photoshopped human photo?!?! Humanized EDI with clearly visible female part?!?!?! The player no longer being able to save everybody and live happy ever after?!?!?!?!

Even literally stolen illustrations and the game being crippled to multiple DLCs are nothing compared to what BioWare/EA did to the plot and the characters, which were the only strong points of the series.

I've got a refund in the shop where I bought my collector's edition and going to buy a bucket of strawberry shaved ice instead - at least that will be more enjoyable.

P.S. Sorry for bad Engrish.
  11. Mar 14, 2012
    Bioware continues to dumb down their games.
    This game is everything but an RPG. In order to make the game appealing for everybody they stripped everything from it, everything, creating a hollow shell of the first game (a Reaper Husk) I played it through only because of the story.
  12. Mar 14, 2012
    i would give it a 9 but after experiencing the last 2 hours of the game, this game is just big dissapointment, the ending just ver bad, worse than skyrim, and war asset dont do anything except the ending, not even affect the final battle just ending, very bad bioware very bad
  13. Mar 11, 2012
    Thank God.. this is why i use Meta for everything... no BS no paid off journalism just the freakin truth. We have been getting screwed this whole year .. Bethesda kicked my teeth in with Rag(e) and B(usted)rink and now EA screws the biggest pooch of all.. way to F go you money hungry half azzed dumb sh*ts. greed has taken over the entire damn industry without Indie games i almostThank God.. this is why i use Meta for everything... no BS no paid off journalism just the freakin truth. We have been getting screwed this whole year .. Bethesda kicked my teeth in with Rag(e) and B(usted)rink and now EA screws the biggest pooch of all.. way to F go you money hungry half azzed dumb sh*ts. greed has taken over the entire damn industry without Indie games i almost didnt have a gaming year.. EA you suck.. if Diablo 3 is screwed up ( nothing to do with EA) Im giving up. Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    This is atrocity. 1. DLC 'From ashes' already on the disc of collector's edition at least.
    2. Problems with new facial system. I bought 2 collector's editions of Mass Effect 1 and 2. I lived with my character for 4 years already. And now what? I just have to wait for BioWare doing their job correctly? 2 years of development and this is how you treat paying customers?

Thank you Electronic Arts for making the BioWare company it is today. Great games, great crappy performance, great greed.

Lights out.
  15. Apr 9, 2012
    After Dragon Age 2 you thought EA would stop.. but no!! they did it again!! let's be honest the game is a let down compared to ME2 and the fact that the reviewing sites acclaim this with a 10/10 or a 9/10, it's just ridicolous. the game is fine until you discover that your decisions, the allies you find along the way and the difficulties you overcome during the game have no weight in theAfter Dragon Age 2 you thought EA would stop.. but no!! they did it again!! let's be honest the game is a let down compared to ME2 and the fact that the reviewing sites acclaim this with a 10/10 or a 9/10, it's just ridicolous. the game is fine until you discover that your decisions, the allies you find along the way and the difficulties you overcome during the game have no weight in the final battle. if you expect something similar to the suicide mission in ME2 where your choice mattered you'll be very disappointed! Expand
  16. Mar 11, 2012
    Not surprised that EA and Bioware made a crappy ending. It looks like in recent years its their ''style'' to slap customers in the face.
  17. Mar 7, 2012
    This is a terrible letdown. One of the greatest dissapointments in my history with video games. Gameplay is solid, but for ruining the game with plot holes and idiotic ending, I give it a zero. Not to mention the Day 1 DLC. This is the last thing I bought coming from Bioware.
  18. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With stunning cinematic displays, horribly dumbed down gameplay and the ability for gay luvinz, you might think this title a shoe in for GotY. Unfortunately the story feels like your on rails with only 1 or 2 side missions popping up between main story plot points. If your bringing in a past love interest from ME1 or 2 I hope it's Kaiden, Ashley or Liara, Tali'Zora STAYS masked for all intents and purposes (search it and you'll find the photo is a stock model pic w/ lines drawn on it), Miranda's is ok, the rest are basically in there for bioware to say we did it without putting thought there. Most all of this I could forgive IF they had put ANY thought behind the ending. Controls are pretty smooth but due to almost every action being mapped to the spacebar you will find yourself rolling and taking cover alot instead of picking up that gun mod or looking at a datapad. they completely removed all minigames replacing it with cover your squad mate mechanics.

Voice acting is still good with few exceptions (femshep is the better actor again) Character models have changed for some, and not for others. Ashley looks like Miranda, Jacob got 10 yrs younger, Zaeed got a personal trainer and a ton of ink, and then there are 2 new people from the Jersey Shore aboard your ship, Tali also looks like Miranda in the picture she gives you.

Story premise was good until Shep crawled away from Anderson, when that happens turn off the game and just use your imagination to end it how you like. OR So you got the whole universe to work together, collected all the resources, followed paragon/renegade choices like a religion? you can look forward to the Exact same story ending as someone who rushed through the story and got squat (1 ending with 3 color differences) BTW Shep dies and your crew is stranded on a tropic island.

Character development - I shouldn't have to even go here due to the other games were building the characters we know and love, but alas they screwed this up too in ways I won't get into. in short Bioware and EA rushed this didn't get a full game out (Day 1 Paid DLC) made an action game that a 4 yo can play and a rpg story that makes no sense with an ending sure to piss off anyone who plays it.
  19. ryn
    May 15, 2012
    There are many areas where ME3 has improved upon it's predecessors. Unfortunately, the price for all of these improvements was too high. Let me start by saying that the ME universe has never felt so small. The Citadel is the only hub "world"Â
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    From the hamfisted forced drama to the endings taken straight from Deus Ex and re-branded, Mass Effect 3 is evidence that Bioware is finished. Between The Old Republic and Dragon Age 2, Bioware have either forgotten what made their games great, or they are being forced to make bad decisions by EA.

The animations are an embarrassment to say the least, the sprinting animation in particular.
    Gameplay is a carbon copy of Mass Effect 2, but with an inferior level design.
    Choices made in Mass Effect 1 and 2 are barely noticeable, which was a major selling point for this game.
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is just a terrible game. This game is the embodiment of everything wrong with gaming today. Bioware took one of my favorite all time games and turned it into steaming pile. Mass Effect 3 is poorly designed, poorly animated, poorly written, and is an obvious attempt just to cash with the fanbase with a terrible sequel with none of the effort of the original. The game alsoMass Effect 3 is just a terrible game. This game is the embodiment of everything wrong with gaming today. Bioware took one of my favorite all time games and turned it into steaming pile. Mass Effect 3 is poorly designed, poorly animated, poorly written, and is an obvious attempt just to cash with the fanbase with a terrible sequel with none of the effort of the original. The game also features downloadable content that costs extra money that fundamentally influences the story, in an attempt to milk more money out of the the player base which shows no respect for the storyline at all. I will never purchase another game from Bioware. Expand
  22. Mar 8, 2012
    The execution of ending and many elements of the story is an insult not only to loyal Mass Effect fans but also to RPG fans in general. BioWare managed to do two things successfully: 1) Trivialize the effort a player put into the entire game by not addressing the achievements of the game in a climactic ending and 2) Ruining a trilogy of relationships between characters, races and heroesThe execution of ending and many elements of the story is an insult not only to loyal Mass Effect fans but also to RPG fans in general. BioWare managed to do two things successfully: 1) Trivialize the effort a player put into the entire game by not addressing the achievements of the game in a climactic ending and 2) Ruining a trilogy of relationships between characters, races and heroes through a sheer lack of care towards player sentiments regarding the aftermath of the game. There are also incredible inconsistencies in pacing and ending just give off a terribly unfinished, unpolished feel that is a truly disappointing experience. It's really sad. Expand
  23. Jul 17, 2012
    Possibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons andPossibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons and commendation packs they throw at me, the game is dead to me. I paid for it and have no interest in ever going back. And all those "critics" who gave the game a 10/10...I doubt I'll be trusting your opinions from here on out. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2012
    Seems Bioware has lost its touch,iam glad i didn't buy this piece of crap.
    The endings are just a big fu to all its fans.
    And then there is the day 1 dlc ,Bioware sold its soul to the (devil/EA)
    I feel sorry for the people who bought this,i know my money wont ever go to a Bioware game again ,ever!
    How the mighty have fallen.
  25. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 does not live up to the hype, at all. First of all, almost no graphics options. I mean what the hell? Just porting from console is so frigging lazy it makes me sick. Look at Remedy, they did it right with Alan Wake. The textures on some stuff in this game is absolutely hideous. The animations are bad (males walk really weird in this game ++). Some of the explosions and gunMass Effect 3 does not live up to the hype, at all. First of all, almost no graphics options. I mean what the hell? Just porting from console is so frigging lazy it makes me sick. Look at Remedy, they did it right with Alan Wake. The textures on some stuff in this game is absolutely hideous. The animations are bad (males walk really weird in this game ++). Some of the explosions and gun effects are really low quality. Then there is the FOV in this game, it reminds me of Resident Evil 5. Why can't you adjust ANYTHING in this game? Oh yeah, I forgot... it's a really bad console port. Also you have to use the space bar for absolutely EVERYTHING. On the plus side it has some great voice acting, interesting characters and locations. Not enough to make it worth my money though. Sadly. The last Bioware game I bought was Dragon Age 2, and yeah, I was very disappointed then as well. I hoped they would redeem themselves with this game, but I was unfortunately wrong. This is the last game I will buy from Bioware, and I can't recommend buying this game to others. If you want to play it, rent it, or buy it used on console. Expand
  26. Mar 12, 2012
    This game completely destroys the franchise and trust in Bioware with the ending. They took the lazy way out and had an ending with no closure and with none of your previous decisions from the last 5 years and 3 games having any influence at all. The last few minutes of the game make me feel like I wasted my time and energy playing these games.
  27. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    Literally goes from a 10/10 to a 3/10 in the last 10 minutes of the game. What color would you like to destroy the universe with? I literally wasted hundreds of hours wasted on this trilogy.
  29. Mar 10, 2012
    The trilogy is ruined. This game is worse then ME1 & ME2 in any possible way. And I want to ask: why in the world ppl would kill their best franchise? Why threw away everything their games were loved for and replace it with things that console games are hated for? Do they really think that bad console games are more popular then good pc-games? I'll disappoint u, Bioware, in our countryThe trilogy is ruined. This game is worse then ME1 & ME2 in any possible way. And I want to ask: why in the world ppl would kill their best franchise? Why threw away everything their games were loved for and replace it with things that console games are hated for? Do they really think that bad console games are more popular then good pc-games? I'll disappoint u, Bioware, in our country only 1/4 of all gamers have consoles. Many ppl who can afford console (like me) don't buy it. U know why? Because most of console games are crap! They just are. U wanna make this crap? Ok. But I won't buy it any more. No more mass effect or dragon age - no more disappointments.
    P.S. Kill your writers or buy them new brains.
  30. Mar 10, 2012
    Do you want to play one of the most engaging stories of this era? Do you want to become emotionally invested in your characters?

Do you want that all to amount to a Dixie cup filled with cold diarrhea because of the final 10 minutes of the series? Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in

Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in partaking in. However the final ending, and I say it singular because essentially there is only one, is so bitterly disgusting and so insulting that it has ruined this player's experience entirely. Any subsequent play throughs will be halted before the final 10 minutes take place. It really is that insulting.

1. Apr 11, 2012