5.2

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like.

Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end up on Earth and is being trailed by
    the Alliance for the **** you've done". That's nice, guess he stopped working with Cerberus and the Council's spectre status meant nothing.

Anyway, auto-dialogue sets in with little to no player input for minutes on end, probably one of their new innovations when impatient people found dialogue boring and then explosions occur and the Reapers are there. The entire galaxy acts shocked.

Now, maybe I expected too much from the writers but the pacing is horrible. This isn't just for the intro--though the intro does a wonderful job of showing it--with the entire game having Shepard talking without the player's input and the game hoping to imagine you know **** when you don't before explosions happen everywhere.

It almost seems like they were trying to build a blockbuster movie rather than write the end of the trilogy, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson being supervised by Michael Bay who's constantly yelling "MORE EXPLOSIONS" throughout the entire creation process.

In addition to this, importing serves little to no purpose. Killed a character before? It's somehow back alive! Spare a character? Well, they died off-screen! The consequences which were advertised for years now, since the very inception of the series, becoming meaningless and serving nothing but wasting a writer's five seconds to create a new line for the sake of importing.

I feel like I've been robbed, not simply because of my purchase of ME3 being a complete waste but the entire trilogy built up absolutely nothing. Unable to play ME1 or ME2 anymore, ME3 spoils the entire experience. If I wanted automatic dialogue, crappy plots and one-liners I would find myself playing Gears of War, least they have a slightly rewarding ending (Yes, ME3 ends on a downer note that tries to be optimistic and leaves you with hundreds of questions, none which they try to answer).

Bioware has fallen hard as of yet, I don't trust they'll be able to stand anymore.

Useless information:
    Gameplay is choppy on PC, one button covering a thousand functions reeks of bad porting.

Graphics are worse on PC, shadows everywhere try to obscure poor textures. High Res Patch may be coming but it won't matter since everything is hidden under layers of shadow.

Multiplayer gets tiresome quickly, essentially being singleplayer without the dialogue (oh wait, that is the singleplayer. lol.) which you fight waves of enemies with Hackett telling you to do things here or there. Level up system is poorly thought out, certain characters have huge imbalances and you need to sacrifice your MP character to get assets for the Single Player (REPLAY VALUE!!111 *cough* not).

Multiplayer is also necessary to get the better endings, which is absolutely **** absurd.

Day 1 DLC up the ass costing upwards to 900$ for everything.

Mass Effect 3 is absolute garbage, as much as I hate to say it.
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    The first Mass Effect, though it had its faults, was a very good game. The writing, while sometimes stupid and drab, had its moments such as the conversation with Sovereign. As time goes on, the quality of the series lessened until now we have this terrible hunk of crap. Terrible writing, on a level that is so embarrassing listening to the characters speak sometimes it hurts. "DAMN" - Shepard. Stiff animations and the game has also completely shed almost all elements of an RPG game, now its Gears of Effect 3. Unfortunately, Bioware has become a company that makes piss poor games, I've tried to give them chances, but it's too late now. They **** up what could've been a great experience, and killed a potentially amazing franchise. Oh well. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    As a big fan of multiple RPGs, and fan of the first two Mass Effect games, this game does not live up to current RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've witnessed in years. The most outrageous thing about ME3 is that the day one downloadable content contains information that is crucial to the series as a whole. This game was the biggest letdown to me in years, and I almost feel as if I have been ripped off. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    The first Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite games, with really enjoyable gameplay and immersing story, I rate Mass Effect 2 as good but not as good as the first one, the story just didn't progress enough. Sadly Mass Effect 3 is the weakest in the series in my opinion. While the gameplay is about on par with the previous games, which is good, the story was really lacking. Large plotholes made the game unenjoyable for me and the ending was real letdown. I'm quite sad this trilogy ended on such a mediocre tone. Expand
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    Ah, Mass Effect. A series that has drummed up just as much(if not more) controversy than the company that makes this. Now, don't think I'm going to rant about how Bioware is supposedly killing the video game industry(however they do certainly seem to be trying). We all know about their past masterpieces. We also all know about dreaded day 1 DLC, and are acting like it's the first time it has happened. I will just take a few sentences to sum up a review for this game, in contrast to the past Mass Effect games of course. As it were, the story was really the only thing this franchise had going for it, from a role playing perspective. To get the action part of the game out of the way now, it's still fine, if not slightly dumbed down. However, this game still feels like an interactive Gears of War from a role playing perspective. Yes you can choose your outcome(except you know, when it comes to the end of the game). Dialog choice are still more the same, Paragon choice, Renegade choice, Neutral choice, and hear more. Now I understand this was prevalent in the past installations but it feels even more watered down in this game. Now for the story. There's not much to say here other than I found it extremely disappointing, anti-climatic and all around dull-witted. You'll have to decide for yourself if you really want to try it to see how the story runs, but keep in mind basically none of the writers for the past games are contributing to this one. Overall, just a poor ending to what could have been an above average series. As well what could be the final nail in Bioware's coffin. And for all the people baying to pirate this game to "stick it to Bioware", if you really want to hit them where it hurts, don't pirate it. Don't buy it, don't even mention it. The only way to show a supplier you want them to change their product, or even get rid of it, is to no longer demand it. Showing them that you're willing to commit a crime to obtain it doesn't help your case. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    Il be honest i was looking forward to this game true ME2 was more casualized and streamlined then ME3 but i still liked it and was still waiting ME3 now what broke the camels back and drove me to not even buy this game? Where to begin for starters it keeps ME2's lobotomized leveling up system which is thel ats instance of any "RPG" in it on top of that they included some bulking meat head jersey shore wannabe into the crew and in addition gave ashley facial reconstructive surgery so she doesn't even look like the same person. On top of that we have day one DLC YES THATS RIGHT day one DLC. The DLC of course contains a prothean character you know the characters that were supposedly genocided in ME1? Then apparently turned into collectors in ME2 who were then all wiped out now apparently there is one left and for the first time you can have a prothean squadmate... OH one last thing he costs 9.99 on day of release so pay up. Then they tried to excuse the DLC by stating they had recently begun work on it and it was finished late. Gee bioware then explain why we knew of him in early 2011. In addition to that they break the camels back, legs, and any other bone this poor animal may have with the ending. The ending which *SPOILERS* is a travesty wraps up this beloved franchise by revealing how the kid from the demo/beginning was the crucible AKA controller of the reapers and how the reapers exist to exterminate organic life so they do not create synthetic life which will then rebel and destroy all organic life. SO basically the reapers kill us so we don't kill ourselves and if that isn't the most moronic plot you ever heard the end wraps up with a kid being told this game as though its a story and ends with "papa shepard tell me another story" and "papa shepard" then saying "its getting late but ok one more" which basically implies that A. This whole thing was a story which in that case i swear off bioware products forever or that B. The ending was trying to wave their upcoming MMO in peoples faces which in that case i swear off bioware products forever. Then we have player choices. The choices in the game are gathered from ME1 and ME2 to culminate and finally reveal what consequences these choices will have in the final battle against reapers. They however have proceeded to royally screw that up by ignoring half the choices in ME1 and ME2. Rachni exterminated? Doesn't matter theres some behind the orange juice in the great big galaxy fridge. Destroyed or kept the collector base? Bah who cares that wasn't important infact it was so unimportant we won't even talk about it at all. In addition to all these games short comings we get to a matter which has me personally riled up my character in Mass Effect 1 (doesn't exist due to installation of Windows 7 over vista in 2009) has sex with Ashley. Now recently and by recently i mean as recent as tonight (3:30 AM EST right now) a magazine has announced a quote from a bioware employee saying how Ashley is a transsexual. This is what pissed me off not the transsexual part. I have no problem with transsexuals but to literally wait til Mass Effect 3 to tell us something as vital as that and to casually tell us this very vital piece of information is unforgivable. It is basically the equivalent of having sex with someone then mentioning they have an STD. Then we have the multiplayer mode. To those saying it is tacked on i can completely say yes it is tacked on. This multiplayer mode is nothing but horde mode from gears of war, or onslaught mode from BFBC2 (ps3 version only) or killing floor, or horde mode from gears of war, except they have something at least original to them. BFBC2 has onslaught mode which is basically conquest with bots but conquest is objective based so its not endless hordes of enemies. Gears of war invented horde mode which is the first to do something wave based. Killing floor has a shop mid wave which you can use to buy new weapons since you start out with a pistol to begin with. This game on the other hand has nothing new or original in the multiplayer. The only reason i can fathom even having a multiplayer mode is to attract some of the call of duty kiddies to play it. Except they fail to see that people who play COD will never play a game like Mass Effect 3. Thats about it for my review of this waste of money. Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm speechless. Why ? I did something stupid, played the first game imported my character in to the second game,imported to ME3.
    Why the rant? When did the gaming industry decided that a person able to enjoy a adult movie is unable to comprehend Schindler's List?
    It didn't start well , the intro mission is railroaded, Shepard is a lost minion , irritating for every player that shaped
    his character thru countless hours of the two previous games, pondering the outcomes of hers/his decisions. I seriously have no idea why I did what I did in the previous games.
    It's a clone of so many movie/game decisions where the Hero does the ultimate spoiler thing, and everyone is aware that the morally grey , isn't really grey it's just trying to create the illusion by pressing on the tear duct by removing the few things a RPG player cares about-the characters and interactions with them , one by one .

The game has one of the worst endings in history, all of them and the idea that the player is not worthy to get some closure is strange, feel's like subconsciousness marketing for DLC.
    The characters from the previous game suffer at times cringe worthy writing , and lack of screen time.
    Simply there isn't enough time for anything, and the dialogues took a major hit, feels completely rushed. New players probably will not care, the game doesn't even introduce them in a proper manner, they can run and gun without consequences and even enjoy the game.
    MP is very well done,interesting and addictive , so nothing to criticize except the Origin client.
    Rated DA2 with a 1 rating this game with a 6 to reflect the technical superiority, but only the technical , the disappointment is identical like DAO vs DA2 despite never seeing the ME games as RPG's , and wondering why the "Jack of all trades, master of none" figure somehow became the most defining aspect of Bioware's recent titles.
  8. Mar 6, 2012
    It does not add any RPG elements, it continues to make it more call of duty to mass market it, it makes it more "hip and cool" to mass market it, it makes day 1 DLC to rip money as much as possible from mass appealing it to max, and beneath now is soulless, uninspired story that just feels bad how badly it is constructed. I have played better third person shooters. You should not support company for making a RPG to boring third person shooter and says CONVERSATIONS are a RPG element - it's not.

Goodbye bioware, stuff you do to your own franchises that start out OK, is just sad.
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible game. Graphics are horrible, lip syncing is way off, story is predictable, textures are awful, combat is boring. This game is not RPG, its Action. Do not buy it!
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    A once great series, ruined by a once great company. Now both are garbage. Don't buy this. Don't give bioware any money, don't support what they are doing to gaming.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    I feel awfully betrayed that the series went from and expansive sci-fi space opera with consequential choices; to a fairly streamlined action adventure with RPG elements. Its attempts at emotional manipulation are slightly hamfisted, not ineffective but very clumsily implemented and unrelated to my character's background - which I imagine Bioware has forgotten about at this point. The writing and designs for some characters also seems out of place, Vega is expected to be a bulky man but not to the extent that he's a jersey Shore cast member, the addition of Jessica Chobot and redesign for Ashley also complement this lovely little tan-orange motif. My largest qualm is with the Day 1 DLC - which I strongly oppose - by all means create new characters that are not plot-integral. But when you create a squad member who is heaily tied to the universe's lore and mystique and then aim to charge an extra $10 for it on top of the game's already hefty pricetag you know you fit a stereotype.The romance system is fine, although I'd like to be able to talk to my companions without the intention of making out with them. I wonà Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    -bluebad
    -redgood
    -greenbad
    This "game" is not made for gamers by any means. It is made for drooling trash with no standards, and bioware confirmed them as their target audience. If you are supporting this game, you are supporting the cancer that's slowly degenerates and kills the industry.
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    Another turd by the BioWare sequel-machine. If you're looking for a B-movie plot combined with a weak and repetitive on-rails shooter this will suit you. But if you're a fan of BioWare's earlier work, such as Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age: Origins you're better off forgetting this development house existed and look towards more serious RPG developers like Larian Studios or Piranha Bytes. Also keep an eye out for Brian Fargo's upcoming "Wasteland 2". Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    Just so mind numbingly average. Every dialog choice is completely disconnected to the actual conversation and the choice misinterpretation is at is worst. good bad, yes no, affirmative or negative but its even hard to determine which is what and what they mean and 80% you will say the same thing. the paragon renegade pop-ups don't actually do anything either way the same thing happens. There is no challenge to the combat, by staying out of automatic cover and aiming manually out you can actually shot enemies with that just standing there an behaving like your not even in there line of sight. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were meant to exist, the original was made with no sequel in mind. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    Everything about this game is terrible, just like Dragon Age II, it messes up the few elements Bioware had gotten right in their dumbed down franchises.

You are presented with less "illusion of choice" than in ME1 and ME2 when it came to dialogues, and a lot less stuff to probe from the NPCs. The "neutral" sounding choice has been completely cut from the game. The whole atmosphere emitted
    by the game is creepy and takes itself way too seriously, cue the sad sounding piano tune that's played in many of the worst scenes written by bioware, beating Dragon Age II in the derp department. The whole story does not make sense at all and spends a lot of time basically retconning the stuff we took for granted in the first two installments of the trilogy. For each of the episodes, Bioware changed the writing team and it shows. ME3 is an unplanned abortion and not something that was carefully crafted from material built since Mass Effect 1. The textures are disgusting, the animation laughable (you can find better animations in Skyrim which says a lot in itself since Bethesda's games are not known for that kind of virtue..), everything about this gays says "quick and dirty development" to cash in on the name of the franchise as fast as they could without regards for the quality of the work, just like Dragon Age 2, which took a lot less time to make than Dragon Age Origins and had terrible texture, terrible models, backgrounds, copy pasted dungeons in the side quests and basically being nothing more than a shell devoid of actual content. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    It is easy to say that Mass Effect 3 represents everything that is going wrong about the path that modern videogames are taking. From the tacked on multiplayer to pre-release DLC to disregarding and retconing past titles mercilessly Bioware is sending a clear message: They are prepared to do anything to squeeze as many dollars out of their customers as they can.

The worst part is that
    this cash milking machine is going to sell millions, with people spending $60 + $40 on average on the game itself and on the DLC. With this you are also sending a clear message to companies like EA and Activision: We customers like to be treated like **** and we like to buy our games multiple times in the form of overpriced DLC. Expand
  17. dgh
    Mar 6, 2012
    What would be a mediocre movie becomes a horrible game. This what became of the RPG genre in the year 2012. A copied Universe filled with walking stereotypes and the combat from the Call of Duty series. The ending is beyond horrible and if you want a better one you better get you wallet out because with Bioware nothing comes for free, especially the fun.
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm sad to be mixed in with these bombers, but I was unbelievably disappointed. Horrible writing, terrible voice acting, and the murder of some of my favorite characters for no other reason then artificial stake-raising. I wish I could give it something higher, but I can't. Expand
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    Sadly, for a game with so much promise, Mass Effect 3 fumbles the ball in the end zone. The game suffers ridiculous bugs, and a clearly rushed ending. I hate to say it but as I play through, I almost wonder if at some point EA came in and said 'You've got three days to finish' about three months early. I'm givng this one a zero, for much the same reasons I gave Dragon Age 2 a low score: It does not live up to the hype. It's buggy, rushed, and when it does have good ideas, they're badly damaged by the bugs. The story is forced, there is auto dialogue where you do not decide what Sheppard says, and no matter what you do, you get the same crap endings. Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Another piece of trash spewed out from the depths of the money hungry company we know as Bioware. I honestly can never trust Bioware games ever again, I thought after the abomination of Dragon Age 2 I could give them one more chance, but they have gone too far now. This game is completely brainless, and worst of all the day one DLC.
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    It's really hard to overstate how disappointing this game is. Even more so than ME2 it wreaks of railroading and half baked ideas. Sure it looks pretty, neat characters, charming dialogue, but you can't let that delude you. This is some of the hammiest, and phoned in writing in gaming history. It's absolutely devoid of any satisfactory closure, and does nothing with the story worth talking about, that is, it's really embarrassing.
    The gameplay, like the characters/dialogue I mentioned before, seems nice at first, but it's just a disguise for a cover shooter of the worst kind. You fight wave after wave of identical mob with a few cheesy bosses with horribly scripted moves to wade through.
    At one point in my life I would have easily told you this is my favorite game series of all time, but I am just so disappointed right now.
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    by the way, the critic scores are a joke. dont be fooled people, they get paid for saying that crap. i see it time and time again, if it wasnt for crooked critics that are only out for a quick buck then we wouldnt have to deal with so many bad games. its just like the paid movie critics. our paid entertainment is just like ordering food at crapdonalds, have you ever ordered anything and have it look anywhere near what the picture looks like. these marketing firms that the companies hired should be taken out back and put down, every last one of them! Expand
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    I must say I looked forward to this game before. Now that I've played it I realize it's **** The plot is bad and so is the graphics. The controls are the worst I've played with aswell you can feel it's a bad console port through everything this game.

Don't buy this...
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is a fitting conclusion to the mass effect saga. It boasts significantly improved gameplay fluidity and mechanics, as well as a more varied campaign. The story is emotional, hard hitting, and diverse. The games visuals have been improved a lot, and the pc version looks quite spectacular despite and aging core engine, and runs smoother than the previous games to boot. In terms of streamlining - which I hate - the game is in between mass effect 1 and 2, the major disappointment in the game is the planet exploring, which has been stripped down. Imported save games determine a lot, from entire characters no longer existing in the story to conflicts that play out entirely different.Multiplayer is fun, and is not required to get the best ending in the game. In the end, mass effect 3 is special. As good as mass effect 2 in storytelling, and almost as good as mass effect 1 in rpg-like skill/item medications and exp distribution. My favorite in an acclaimed series. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Everything that was right in Mass Effect 1 has vanished in Mass Effect 3. This series is no longer an RPG with Third-person shooter elements. This game is a really ban gears of war clone with horrible animations, terrible textures and cringeworthy dialogue.

Also, Day 1 DLC should be frowned upon by everyone. It is absolutly unacceptable in this day and age.
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    They said that the choices from ME1 and ME2 would carry over but they didn't. Day 1 DLC for $15 that allows you to see the best ending. How the **** you go from KotOR to ME3 / TOR is beyond me.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    I created this account just to be able to express my disappointment with the route Bioware has chosen. It's becoming depressingly common that RPG game creators, after carving out a loyal fanbase and establishing their name, suddenly get an aversion from everything that constitutes an RPG and try to craft their games in order to cater to the lowest common denominator (see for instance: Fallout, Deus Ex, etc. - although the latest games in these series have gone back somewhat to being actual RPGs, somewhat). It's curious how game developers still seem to assume that the average gamer is a 14-year old console player with no taste or opinion. Did they really think that no-one would 'notice' Mass Effect has turned into a Gears of War clone? Of course they do. Also, why in the world would they even want to emulate Gears of War? Isn't Mass Effect at least as big as Gears of War is? It really puzzles me.

I had the same feelings when I played Dragon Age II, but I hoped that was just a fluke. After Mass Effect 3, it has become obvious that this is really a new strategy. I wish them well, but in me they have now lost a customer. I own every RPG they ever made - except that MMORPG - but I will be buying no more Bioware games, until I feel confident they've improved on their current trend of mediocre gameplay and (especially) terrible writing. It's never a good idea to alienate the most loyal and (because of age) most financially capable of your fanbase, in a stupid attempt to gain 'new fans'.
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    This is very sad :-(
    Better go with The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim or FNV Ultimate - not with this s**t!
    I'm very dissapointed :-/
    I hate you EA/BW!!!

ME1>ME2>ME3 :-(
  29. Mar 6, 2012
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. If you're one of the following, or a combination of all three: a newcomer to the series; someone who doesn't like roleplaying games; someone who prefers shooters like Gears of War or CoD; Go give this game a 9.5/10, it was made specifically for you. If you're someone who was a fan of the ME1 franchise since the first one, enjoyed the fantastic and witty writing, the dialogue choices and essentially what was a perfect hybrid of shooter and RPG mechanics, rate this game somewhere in the 1-3/10 region. There is also a huge lack of polish, animations are absolutely terrible and glitchy. voice acting is unbelievably bad, the lead writer, Mac Walters, is f*cking crap at his job and should be sacked. Graphics are very low quality. Skyboxes are a joke to look at, just a muddy pixelated mess Iooks more at home in the original Half-Life1, low res textures are buried under excessive amounts of shadow and poor contrast settings that can't be changed, space bar does EVERYTHING. Choices in the past game mean almost nothing, which is contrary to what was advertised. And now, the autodialog. Shepard just talks for ages on end, with absolutely no input from the player. This isn't YOUR Shep you play, it is something else. Shep often says dickish things I didn't want him to, so and there's only 2 choices of dialog now, not 3-4 from the previous games. One good and one bad. It's like we're being treated as retards, it's insulting. I give it a 2/10, and that's generous. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    An incredibly cliched plot which completely nullifies all the work you've put in up to this point across three games, ridiculous amounts of DLC and a shameless 'Buy more DLC to play more!' banner as soon as you have finished the game make this game feel incredibly hollow in comparison to the last two titles in the series.

1. Apr 11, 2012