7.6

1. Jun 5, 2012
    If you liked the previous games of Max Payne, you should get this one too. One of the best games this year so far. Its almost perfect in my opinion, but 30gb on hdd needed? Damn, that's too much for a tps. Anyway, this game is great and im giving just 9 because of the bugs and hdd requirements.
  2. Jun 3, 2012
    MY VIEW FOR THOSE WHO ARE TIRED OF ANGER AND SPAMMING POSTS AND USELESS GAME REVIEW SITES.

Yes, I'm one of the many (mainly Steam purchasers it seems) who have had trouble launching the game. But I'm not going to waste time slagging Steam/Rockstar off for this problem, even though it wasted much of my time sorting out. I'm currently playing Max Payne 3 with a modified .exe, but hey, I'm playing Max Payne 3!

Firstly, as is usually the first request of any PC gaming enthusiast, what are the graphics like? Well, put simply, they are consistently outstanding. I'm fortunate enough to be playing the game @ 2560x1440 with maxed out settings and it runs buttery smooth. Rockstar has finally done itself proud by giving us, the PC gamer, a extremely well optimised game. If you have the hardware then you're in for a treat, Max Payne 3 may not grab the number one spot for outright visual splendour (although it is worthy of nomination) but it does win an award that almost every game - even PC exclusive titles - can't get close to; it contains a high level of texture work that PC gamers expect. Crysis may still be deemed as great looking but many of it's textures are awful up close, the same can best said for many of the so-called visual PC behemoths. Max Payne 3 manages to look excellent not just most of the time, but all of the time. Coming from Rockstar, who are renowned for detail rather than cutting edge graphics, this is an amazing achievement. Whether the PC version was built from the ground up; shares parts with the console versions; or is largely a port, doesn't matter. Apart from one thing (which I'll comment on in a minute) Max Payne 3 for the PC looks like a bona fide PC game, through and through. Rockstar may not have included the myriad graphics settings that dazzle most in Serious Same BFE, but the choice of DX9-DX11 settings allow for good scaling. At it's highest settings Max Payne 3 looks to switch on every cutting edge feature, placing the PC version leagues ahead of the console offering. Again, credit to Rockstar for this hugely evident visual increase. I played both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 and enjoyed them immensely using the faithful mouse and keyboard controls. But honestly, Max Payne 3 plays better on a gamepad. With a XBox 360 controller the game is simply better. I'm a veteran gamer, the M&K is what I consider myself a master of, but this game doesn't seem to work well with it. As soon as I plugged my gamepad in, it all came together, and the one thing that may stand out as a console trespasser to most is actually welcomed by me. The weapon select dial that sends hordes of PC gamers into a frenzied mutiny is perfect for the job in Max Payne 3. Seriously, if you feel yourself playing this game and all the while something is niggling away inside your head, get a gamepad and plug it in. The Marmite love and hate relationship with the cut scenes is understandable. Initially I wasn't too keen on the , what seemed to be, intrusion of Rockstar's story book, but after a while they started to fit the game well. For those that are still complaining that Rockstar haven't replicated the previous games should take a chill pill and enjoy what it has created. In true Rockstar fashion what we have here is a story well told, a story that you want to continue, one that makes it hard for you to hit the quit button. Yes it's ridiculous, yes it's brash, but it's something that many games have lost over recent times. IT'S FUN! Running through baddies whilst picking them them off is amazing fun. Rockstar have somehow managed to make the real time gunfights as fun, if not more so, than any bullet time event. The action is powerful, brutal and bloody, you'll often feel so invigorated after even a short exchange of bullets that you'll watch yet another cut scene with bated breath, the story driving you toward the next exciting instalment. The audio is very nice. Rockstar has a great eye for detail (just look at the amount of detail in GTAIV) and it knows how to do sound, too. Everything just works, it fits. The music, the effects, the voice work, all of it is superb. The accompanying tunes are so good you don't even notice them. That may sound odd, but it's very important that any in-game music does not become centre stage. Be part of a game, help towards making the experience epic, but don't overdo it. Rockstar has done well here. Unfortunately, as with it's previous titles, Rockstar have gone slightly overkill with the language. Yes, I understand this kind of thing in the real world would involve lots of unsavoury characters who have a plethora of naughty words in their vocabulary, but is there a real need for the large amount of bad language that Rockstar put in it's games? I'm not so sure.

So, is Max Payne 3 any good? Yep. Worth the full price? Yep. Multi-player any good? Probably definitely, don't know, haven't tried it yet. Just get it, it's Max!
  3. Nov 13, 2012
    A great game, i have played Max Payne 1 and 2 and loved them, but they did have some problems. Max payne 3 is a good game. Although it does some problem like instant killing you in single player, freezing and bad spawning in multiplayer. I forgive it because of its great story(the cut seens are um-skippable), great characters, great mechanics, soundtrack and voice acting. The graphicsA great game, i have played Max Payne 1 and 2 and loved them, but they did have some problems. Max payne 3 is a good game. Although it does some problem like instant killing you in single player, freezing and bad spawning in multiplayer. I forgive it because of its great story(the cut seens are um-skippable), great characters, great mechanics, soundtrack and voice acting. The graphics beautiful, so much detail, i had it max out in dx11 at 60 fps and it looks Amazing. Great game by Rockstar. Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    Very impressive. A few graphical hiccups - but a wholesome, thrilling and paced game. Haven't played the previous Max Payne games, and this has been an excellent game nonetheless, and has in fact bolstered by knowledge of the overall trilogy?
  5. Jun 4, 2012
    Primitive graphics, stupid AI, scripts-scripts-scripts...this is dumb console trash. Not my favor good old Max Payne. Rockstar kill the great saga and morfe it into the ordinary pop-action.
  6. Jun 4, 2012
    The game has an interesting shooting mechanic, very nice graphics, a plot (good or bad, it's still obvious somebody thought about it at some point) and BulletTime(TM). All in all this makes for an enjoyable experience. The cut-scenes are an interesting story telling tool, but the implementation is kind of rough. There's just so MANY of them and oftentimes you're struck in the face with aThe game has an interesting shooting mechanic, very nice graphics, a plot (good or bad, it's still obvious somebody thought about it at some point) and BulletTime(TM). All in all this makes for an enjoyable experience. The cut-scenes are an interesting story telling tool, but the implementation is kind of rough. There's just so MANY of them and oftentimes you're struck in the face with a cut-scene before you're done exploring an area. It's still worth playing, although in hindsight I would've waited 'til the price had gone down a bit. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2012
    I was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. TheI was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. The story transitions tie each scene together nicely, with zero loading screens I might add. The overall graphics do look amazing but I've grown to expect that with games made by large studios like Rock Star these days. The game play mechanics that make Max Payne stand out worked very well. The bullet time was easy to use as well as the cover and the environmental objects you can use to turn the tide of battle. I've heard complaint of not being able to play through story again because of heavy scripting but I just haven't seen that in my second play through. The enemies appear to react to what is going on around them and have made playing through a second time just as rewarding an experience.

Truthfully this is a solid game on it's own. I have yet to try out the multiplayer yet, but as it stands on single player, I would recommend this game to any action hero fan.
  8. Jun 4, 2012
    In many ways SOOO AWESOME... in a lot of ways TERRIBLE. Lucky for me I don't mind the cutscenes and the voiceower and I think that Rockstar did a great job continuing the story - it deffinitly still have the vibe and feel of the old series, but with a new fresh blow of air. The not-so-good-things are the BUGS! As other members have mentioned the bullettime-im-about-to-die camera is crap,In many ways SOOO AWESOME... in a lot of ways TERRIBLE. Lucky for me I don't mind the cutscenes and the voiceower and I think that Rockstar did a great job continuing the story - it deffinitly still have the vibe and feel of the old series, but with a new fresh blow of air. The not-so-good-things are the BUGS! As other members have mentioned the bullettime-im-about-to-die camera is crap, and other cam erros as well, the cover controls are for the most part fine, but it isn't still working. Mind that im playing on hard and i haven't played normal; AI is STUPID, some needs 2 clips to die, others 3 rounds. The graphics are great BUT the AA feature is not working, only FXAA, which looks ok but it's still ugly. It's sad that a game that PERFECT has minor bugs that turn into HUGE IRRITATIONS ! Expand
  9. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. beautifully optimised for PC with loads of lovely DX11 goodness added. Wonderful looking game and every bit the Max Payne I wanted it to be. If you liked the first two you must get this. Good to plaY!@!!
  10. Jun 5, 2012
    After having played the first 5 chapters in the last 100 minutes, all I can say is that this game might just be eligible to win the best 3rd person shooter of all time.. It may not have the noir-type story-line that the 1st installment had, but it makes up for it with brilliant gameplay, graphics, physics and pace..

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise installment as they draw you away from the bloodshed for a while..

The girls in this game are HOT..!! Whatever one may say, this game is truly amazing.. The last 10 years seem so far away now.. Definitely the best game I have ever played, probably even better than Gears of War and Max Payne 1
  11. Jun 6, 2012
    This is a great example of how videogames are made in 2012. This game has everything - superb action, great story, fascinating cutscenes, which make the game more like a movie than a game, perfect graphics and optimization, memorable soundtrack... This is the kind of game that can truly be regarded to as ART. The best 12 hours I've spent on a game in a long time.
    Multiplayer is also very
    Multiplayer is also very good and interesting, the idea of slowing down the time during an online play is brilliant. Looking at Alan Wake, I think if Remedy had the chance to make Max Payne 3 on their own, it would be almost the same game.
    And for those of you who didn't like the game because "it's not good old Max" - well, it shouldn't be good old Max, it's been almost 10 years, so if you don't like it - do better, Rockstar doesn't owe you anything. THIS is how you make games in 2012, baby! Well done, Rockstar!
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    Things I've forgot to mention - a lot of times you will be placed in the middle of firefight behind the cover which only protect you from enemies in front of you, while other enemies will come at you from everywhere.
    Also, that stupid "kill the guy who shot you" camera is useless most of the times - the enemy is behind the cover or you out of ammo. Whats even worse - you can't load from the last checkpoint during this moments. So you have to sit through all of this, then get the chance to load the game.
    The game has no straight rhythm - you will be constantly slowed down by unskippable cutscene. Sometimes you're in the berserk mode after good action, you killed all the enemies and want to kill more, you rush into another room and... cutscene. What the hell?!
    Oh, and that stupid video effects! All this shaky camera, light flashes, double vision, words coming out on the screen - it may be appropriate in the beginning of the game, but NOT all the time! Also, I don't remember getting hit this much, or having to restart the checkpoint in original Max Payne.
    One more thing - no grenades! Enemies has them, but you don't. And I don't see any excuse for this. Why, Rockstar, why?
    Two years of disappointment - first Duke Nukem, and now this. I wonder how Hitman will turn out? But I'm almost convinced now that it's going to be bad. It's a trend.
  13. Jun 6, 2012
    The game has a FAIRLY solid single player, gets dull around the 6 hour mark as you've already done everything by that time and the long unskippable cutscenes will probably begin to grind on you by then. It's enjoyable through out most of it and that makes this game worth a rental or a buy when it's dropped at least half in price. The multiplayer is what really ruins this game though, ifThe game has a FAIRLY solid single player, gets dull around the 6 hour mark as you've already done everything by that time and the long unskippable cutscenes will probably begin to grind on you by then. It's enjoyable through out most of it and that makes this game worth a rental or a buy when it's dropped at least half in price. The multiplayer is what really ruins this game though, if you can't do it right, then don't do it at all. The clunky controls, the bad camera angles, the awful feedback from the weapons and the terrible map design just make this a horrible experience. The plus side is there is plenty of customization items and equipment to unlock, but I can't see people staying around long enough to see most of them. I would have rated this game higher had it been single player only, but I don't believe in overlooking something because it wasn't in the previous games in this series. I know people will probably disagree with my opinion as we're still in the hype phase of this game, which explains the 10/10 ratings. Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2012
    As a big fan of the original Max Payne games and Rockstar games in general, I had high hopes for the latest incarnation. The game does live up to some of its promises. Graphics are excellent, supporting DX11 and runs smoothly at full settings on a year old rig. The storyline is well written, although somewhat hackneyed at times.

However, the single player game is fraught with annoyances

However, the single player game is fraught with annoyances which get in the way of the journey. Short gameplay sequences are broken up with long cut scenes, which are almost entirely unskippable. The game claims the game is 'still loading' for the nearly 10 minute scenes between levels. This is despite a save game loading in less than 10 seconds. This is not a problem on the first play through a level, but is a major problem if you are into replaying chapters for collectibles.

The game frequently takes control, or slows you down just to open a door, in places that could easily have been played out in real time. To make matters worse, the game often will take control and move you through a door (while locks behind you inexplicably) before you have had time to search the level for hidden collectibles. In one sequence that comes to mind, the game makes you walk slowly though an area which has no enemies, yet there is no reason why you can't run.

Often after a short cut-scene, you will be placed in a compromised position facing multiple enemies. The game also has a habit of switching your main rifle or shotgun to a sidearm at the same time to make life more awkward at the same time. Max also seems to have forgotten how to sling a shoulder weapon, as he must drop any large weapons to dual wield his sidearms. While this may be a tip to realism (nobody in Max Payne 3 can't afford a $5 sling it seems), it removes the old ability of being able to choose a weapon at will that was present in the original titles.

For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a move on. Often they will run off and get killed while you search for clues or gun parts.

To make matters worse, i have twice now been forced to replay sections because the game has mysteriously forgotton the progress I had made in the game. I believe this is because I 'continued' a previous game by using 'chapter select' to replay the chapter before the one I was on and just playing on. Be warned, if you do this the game will not unlock chapters properly. Make sure you finish the entire game before replaying any chapters.

Overall, the graphics are good, and gameplay is often well done, but the game seems intent on constantly reminding you that it is in control and it will make you play the game how it wants, not how you want. Giving you more control would have made this a 7, but the game provides just too many frustrations. The Rockstar QA team must have gone on holiday for this release...
  15. Jul 12, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great PC game in many ways, with a few issues that hold it back from perfection. The first thing you'll notice is that the game is very well optimized for the PC, which is surprising, given Rockstar's history of bad ports from consoles. But even more impressive than the graphics are the animations, which I feel are often overlooked in many games. No longer will youMax Payne 3 is a great PC game in many ways, with a few issues that hold it back from perfection. The first thing you'll notice is that the game is very well optimized for the PC, which is surprising, given Rockstar's history of bad ports from consoles. But even more impressive than the graphics are the animations, which I feel are often overlooked in many games. No longer will you awkwardly bump up against walls, desks, and the like. Max Payne's body reacts extraordinarily well to impacting the environment, shielding his head from walls, sliding down stairs, and tumbling off of furniture. The game engine should be somewhat familiar to those who played Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV; however, those games sacrificed control for the animations. Max Payne 3 does no such thing, as controlling him feels incredibly responsive and natural (unless you stick yourself in an obviously bad spot). Many people have complained about the cover system, to which I say: if you are using the cover system extensively, you are playing the game wrong. Cover is useful for getting out of the line of fire, but ultimately shoot dodge is still king, as it should be. However, the game does have a few faults. Cut scenes, while well-done and smartly covering up loading screens, are too long in general and skipping them is hit or miss (be sure you press enter, not left click, for one thing). There are some bugs I have been experiencing with crashing and losing collectible progress in my second playthrough. And the multiplayer, while fun, seems somewhat tacked on and derivative of other games. Rockstar decided to copy some of the worst features from games like Call of Duty, such as last stand and martyrdom (in the form of booby-trapped bodies). These issues keep me from giving it a 10, but it certainly deserves an 8 or 9. Finally, I understand that it is different in tone and style from previous games in the series, but you have to judge the game by its own merits- and not get stuck in the past, as Max Payne himself would tell you. Edit: After losing significant save progress in both single-player and multi-player for no apparent reason, I have reduced my rating to a 8. I was able to fix my issues eventually, and have enjoyed slightly more than 2 playthroughs of the game, on both Hard and Old School. Expand
  16. zyx
    Jun 8, 2012
    This Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all timeThis Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all time favs. Rockstar merged GTA and LA Noir to a perfect game engine topped with a really thrilling story. Thank you RS for a perfect game experience.. A milestone in game development ! Expand
  17. Jun 23, 2012
    Ultimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately itUltimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately it fails to deliver the most important aspect of the Max Payne story experience. There are a few cases where the old Max pops up and I truly feel for him, but overall Max is reduced to a reluctant killer. Max was never reluctant to dish out righteous justice. Heck he even killed his only good friend in the name of justice.
    So ultimately, if you want to cash in on the brand name, you have to deliver on that name. And to me Rockstar certainly didn't.
  18. Jun 8, 2012
    for singleplayer reference only.

for singleplayer reference only.

its sad that the entire game feels like its scripted, it doesnt matter what you do it never feels like youre in controll of anything. for youre 60$ you get about 1 hour of play time with allot of cutscenes and movies that wil make you want to alt+f4 after a while. i cant see how people actualy compare this to the original max payne or max payne 2. the key part was action + wel placed (although sometimes bad) voice over.
    the commic book story explaining things to you between mission that you could SKIP !! if you wanted didnt realy interrupt game play that much. so with max payne and max payne 2 being a score of 8. this game as a max payne would be a 5... i realy dont need another half baked muliplayer game witch wont keep me bussy for more then a week. even though bullit time in multiplayer will make it interesting it makes it a joke for anyone who actualy likes FPS multiplayer
  19. Jun 8, 2012
    Most of the reviews take up same points as I think so read them but some examples:

-Short gameplay sequences are broken up with long cut scenes which you cant skip -You shot someone in the head but the bulletcam/cutsceen show you shooting them in the groin - For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a

- For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a move on.
    -The game also has a habit of switching your main rifle or shotgun to a sidearm
    -Often after a short cut-scene, you will be placed in a compromised position facing multiple enemies. I loved the first Max games but this I managed to play for 45 min before unsinstall.
  20. Jun 8, 2012
    Just finished playing through MP3 & am a bit miffed. It's an ok third-person shooter but just doesn't have the feel of a Max Payne game.

Epicly-long, unskippable cut-scenes, constant eye-irritating 'effects' & the game deciding to switch out your main weapon for a pistol at every opportunity are some gripes. You will discover others...
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    Max Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying throughMax Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying through the game with, and ends up being a satisfying pay off. The setting of Sao Paulo is an interesting choice. Rockstar took a gamble with leaving the streets of New York and I truly believe that it paid off. Brazil is widely recognized for being riddled with violence, much as New York has been famous for in the past. The difference is, New York has been done time and time again by game, film studios and other media. The favellas of Brazil provide a refreshing change and are shown as a perfect proving ground for Max in his journey to self realization and catharsis. In the lowest point of the city, Max must find himself and see if he can release his accumulated baggage, and move forward to save countless people from the evils of the rich families. Max Payne 3 is a stellar game. With excellent actors, who communicate through voice and visuals a story of pain and suffering of one of the most interesting characters I have ever witnessed in my gaming history. You will want to travelwith Max on his journey of hardships, fully knowing the consequences of your actions. His moral dilemmas will become yours, and you will help him carry his burden, and suffer others deceit, through this fantastic title. Max Payne does something that most games dare not do, it thrusts you into a world that is **** and forces you to work with it, and never lets up. This is a game that should not be missed by any mature video game fan, and is a must buy in my opinion. Max Payne gets an A

youtube/blazingreview (My review has absolutely been gutted by MetaCritic and a much longer video review is coming up soon on my channel)
  22. Jun 8, 2012
    I am pleased for the game it is, but i wouldn't call it part of the max payne series.
    1. I do not like this new writer, i dont think this story had the dark and depression of the second one.
    2. I also we didnt have enough controll. I really miss the comics of the first 2. 3. As far as mechanics goes, it is spectacular, and visuals are amazing too. 4. Multiplayer i think is brilliant.
    3. As far as mechanics goes, it is spectacular, and visuals are amazing too.
    4. Multiplayer i think is brilliant. There are a lot of connection issues and hackers, but i do hope they fix that because i would like to continue playing it.
    5. Was there really a need for the cover system?
  23. Jun 9, 2012
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10 Story- 9 Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10
    Story- 9

Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and challenging with various options such as tactical maneuvers, using cover, crouch and prone while still having a 360 degree firing arc. The story and cut-scenes was also engaging making it difficult to decide that you've played for too long in one sitting. Feels like your playing a 10 million dollar budget Hollywood movie. Only annoyances i really found was the switching of weapons when coming out of a cut scene. takes too long to switch to, drop and pickup a rifle. Also for those looking for the collectible second time around the cut-scenes are a bit long to wait through. Other than that, it's a superb title and a must for anyone into smart FPS'.
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    I am not familiar with previous editions of the game. But, on its own account, it surely deserves more than an 8.0 just for the excellent job that was done in terms of playability, graphics, and sound.
    This is no cheap port from console to PC. The game surely exploits the PC Hardware and delivers, finally, some playable tesselation. In fact, it offers about 3 different levels of tesselation. I was able to run the game all most on all the top specs without trouble ( intel 2600K plus 2 gtx 570).
    The story may not be up to some people's taste, but there is certainly a plot, consistent till the end. In addition, the game offers options for gamepad users, such as a "soft lock" feature that makes it easier to aim.
    Overall, the game is well diversified with different (very well represented) locations, an ok story, and good action. The studio didn't take lot's of risks, but that works both ways: they made sure that the final product was good right from the initial release. It offers something between modern warfare and batman (surely more like the former).
  25. Jun 10, 2012
    First of all I have to say that I am a great fan of Max Payne 1 and especially 2. The story - is the main point in computer games for me. Speaking about the story in Max Payne 3 - I can say that it is terrible and moreover I dont like the long cut scenes aswell.The fights in the game are brilliant but they become a bit boring in the end.The multiplayer is just ok - nothing more.I haven'tFirst of all I have to say that I am a great fan of Max Payne 1 and especially 2. The story - is the main point in computer games for me. Speaking about the story in Max Payne 3 - I can say that it is terrible and moreover I dont like the long cut scenes aswell.The fights in the game are brilliant but they become a bit boring in the end.The multiplayer is just ok - nothing more.I haven't excepted anything from Max Payne 3 but i must say - the game is nice but i dont really like it. Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    Great game, better than modern,amazing gameplay,nice graphics,unique optimization,The game run fine in dx11,this game everyone should to try! Good job Rockstar,buy this game now!
  27. Jun 12, 2012
    Spectacularly good. The graphics are excellent, the framerate is smooth, the levels are detailed and expansive. The gunplay mechanic is absolute perfection and I love the new visceral level of violence. The cover system is great and the robust gunplay as a whole facilitates different play-styles depending on what you feel like at the time. For me this game is a new benchmark for shooters.Spectacularly good. The graphics are excellent, the framerate is smooth, the levels are detailed and expansive. The gunplay mechanic is absolute perfection and I love the new visceral level of violence. The cover system is great and the robust gunplay as a whole facilitates different play-styles depending on what you feel like at the time. For me this game is a new benchmark for shooters.

Best of all though - and this is where most other games fall flat - is the solid writing and story delivery. Finally a game where I care about what I'm doing and why. Max Payne is realised in all his resigned, nihilistic, down-and-out glory; a violent, alcoholic John Proctor. Stylistically Rockstar have pushed things with some lovely video filter effects (that emphasise Payne's - typically hungover - state of mind) and a very clever treatment of the comic-book story presentation pioneered by Remedy that integrates flawlessly with the in-game action. Combined with the lively South American setting it all works brilliantly.

Executed to such a high level in every respect, I enjoyed this even more than the previous Max Payne games. Amazing job Rockstar, loved it!
  28. Jun 12, 2012
    Best game i've played since a lot time, thanks you Rockstar. Great scenario, great style, great shooter. A real AAA game. I hope GTA V will the same caliber.
  29. Sep 26, 2012
    It's a beautiful interactive movie. But when I want to play a game, I want to actually PLAY the game -- not watch it. A great game for the "I don't want to think for myself" generation.
  30. Jun 13, 2012
    Really enjoyed playing this game and thought that the £30 i paid for it was well worth what i got in terms of a overall package in return. I can see that a lot of people are slating the game on its mechanics/cutscenes etc, and i can see why, especially if you've never played the Max Payne series before. The cutscenes masking the loading is a great idea i thought, it explains more ofReally enjoyed playing this game and thought that the £30 i paid for it was well worth what i got in terms of a overall package in return. I can see that a lot of people are slating the game on its mechanics/cutscenes etc, and i can see why, especially if you've never played the Max Payne series before. The cutscenes masking the loading is a great idea i thought, it explains more of the story and embeds itself well into the whole feel of what the game is in its entirety. I've always played Max Payne because i want it to tell me a story, because i am actually interested in the events which befall Max given the events of the previous two games. At first i was worried when the whole story was taken away from NYC, but to be honest rockstar have done a great job in moulding all the new games features into a totally new location. It feels authentic to play. I have also started playing multiplayer, and aside from encountering the odd hacker (unlimited HP) and a few slight problems with the matchmaking, the games and game modes them selves are refreshing, challenging and a hell of a lot of fun to play, which is what i think they were going for! There are tons of guns to buy and upgrade and 'Bursts' to use in game which improve your efficiency on the field, all of which are good fun to work towards. Overall i am pleased to have bought and played MP3 and hope to continue on the multiplayer. I think that the mix of excellent writing, gameplay (minus a few bugs, hence the 9 score!) and good looking graphics is enough to keep most MP3 fans happy. Pc users can also expect better graphical options over the console versions, so if you're running a top end rig, crack up the graphics in DX11, the look great!! Expand
  31. Jun 13, 2012
    Summary: Rockstar, in its latest breathless desperate attempt to come across as a trendy auteur filmmaker, has once again completely spoiled what could have been a pretty good game.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Cons: Abysmal save system, overlong unskippable cutscenes (the 'you can't skip them because you're loading' cop-out is false, since the levels will load in seconds when you start from a checkpoint), unremittingly linear progression that means any clue or collectible missed past a checkpoint requires sitting through another long unskippable cutscene you've already seen once or twice before (you will want to beat your head against a desk at this), pretentious and overdone 'film effect' interjections seemingly trying harder to emulate 'b-movie made for cable cop action movie' than film noir, *constant* interjection of headache-inducing RGB-split video effect, plainly stupid text overlays of bad dialog meant to add impact but really only getting in the way.
  32. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es la primera vez que encuentro esto para "Juzgar" online y ante personas con criterio; puede ser la primera vez en esopero jugando no es mi primera vez y MAX PAYNE 3 satisface todo lo que un joven en sus vacaciones de verano necesita para alejarse del aburrimiento y de los malos habitos como son muy comunes aqui en Colombia que si no es futbol es plomo y no el elemento quimico como tal, vicio robo y desastre lo que podemos vivir de forma "sana" en los videojuegos como este y otros en especial de la saga rockstar games ;) que siempre me mantiene entretenido en "Cosas malas" que a la vez son muy buenas". Excelente juego Expand
  33. Jun 14, 2012
    A sad shadow of Max Payne gameplay, where are you going Max? A not interesting story, the computer play at your place, 4h of videos breaking the game rythm (max open a door, max make a step, max go to piss, max is moving eyes,...) everything are subjects to a movie... So borring! 35Go on the hard drive... what the hell?! >< After 3 chapters I directly uninstalled the game because I'm notA sad shadow of Max Payne gameplay, where are you going Max? A not interesting story, the computer play at your place, 4h of videos breaking the game rythm (max open a door, max make a step, max go to piss, max is moving eyes,...) everything are subjects to a movie... So borring! 35Go on the hard drive... what the hell?! >< After 3 chapters I directly uninstalled the game because I'm not going to watch a movie during 5h, I want to play that's all! If not I would go to the nearest cinema.
    Except beautiful graphics and animating Max Payne 3 is A FAIL!
  34. Jun 14, 2012
    Really dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be pannedReally dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be panned as out-of-it's-time. Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2012
    Different?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for aDifferent?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for a great gaming experience. Don't like the cutscenes? I suppose we all loved the graphic panels in 1 & 2, because in my mind they are one and the same. Not going into particulars as the play-ability of the game speaks for itself. No 10 cause that means all perfect, but a strong 9 and the urge for all pc gamers to check this baby out!! Nice Rockstar...and Remedy agrees!! Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2012
    While the game stays somewhat true to the original Max Payne play style, RockStar
  37. Jun 15, 2012
    Hello everyone, I passed the whole game, and my expectations were met, it is a masterpiece, and more such games from Rockstar"Come in the ass those who do not like this game
  38. Jun 16, 2012
    Very disappointing game play. Too many movies. Overall much worse game than previous MP1,2. Game just isnt fun to play. Not worth the money. Very sory for missed chance.
  39. Dec 27, 2012
    Good graphics, nice cutscenes, wonderful environmental details. It's fun for a few hours but after that you just start to look for ending in a pain. Oh wait, the biggest problem is that this game has no freedom even you are able to open a door if a cutscene allows. And please someone warns Rockstar about their unnecessary collectables. Those collectables could make Max Payne 3 neitherGood graphics, nice cutscenes, wonderful environmental details. It's fun for a few hours but after that you just start to look for ending in a pain. Oh wait, the biggest problem is that this game has no freedom even you are able to open a door if a cutscene allows. And please someone warns Rockstar about their unnecessary collectables. Those collectables could make Max Payne 3 neither wider nor fun. Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2012
    This is the best thing ever, I simply cannot fathom the level of amazingness within this entire thing; it's simply orgasmic in all aspects (well maybe no smell, but it's pretty damn close.)
  41. Jun 18, 2012
    Excellent game.Good graphics,great gameplay,one of the best action games of 2012.The bullet-time and shootdodge are perfectly representated by Rockstar!But when you knew GTA IV and Read Dead Redemption were great games,you knew this Max Payne 3 was gonna be an Ass-kicker!
  42. Jun 19, 2012
    Every 5 minutes you get a new cut scene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one. Boring story, boring game play, boring dialogue, Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn
  43. Jun 20, 2012
    New game from Rockstar become a new word in genre third-person shooter. New developers added many new elements of gameplay, make excellent graphics and animation. And many many different details. Max Payne... He is really come back.
  44. Jun 20, 2012
    Nice game. The core gameplay is respected, gunfight are really fun with shootdodge and level design is nicely done.

But this game is too narrative. Too much. I prefer play than be a spectator when i plan to play. I like keep hands on avatar, open doors, climb ladders, that sort of things. Cover ? Cover is useless in Max Payne, bullet-time is his cover. This is no Gears of War. Why

Why do i gain pills when i die ? Where's challenge ? Why do you push me to the credits, I want play this game, retry when i lose !

But where is the Max Payne's dark atmosphere ? Where are dream levels ? The story is only oriented to action and vulgar (GTA inside).

Multiplayer = no need, bad, cheaters....

It's a pity, the core were really good...
  45. Jun 20, 2012
    I bought this game on steam and completed the storyline in less than 13 hours of gameplay. Ridiculously disappointing. The storyline didnt even come close to matching the first or the second game. The controls were also off and very annoying for me at times. Max will sometimes run at regular pace even while aiming which throws me off completely. And instead of using bullet time just aboutI bought this game on steam and completed the storyline in less than 13 hours of gameplay. Ridiculously disappointing. The storyline didnt even come close to matching the first or the second game. The controls were also off and very annoying for me at times. Max will sometimes run at regular pace even while aiming which throws me off completely. And instead of using bullet time just about anytime you want you stick to taking cover over half the time. I have no interest in doing the time attack, new york minute, or multiplayer modes. Definitely not a game that's worth 60 bucks. I bought it because of the old max paynes and this one definitely does nothing to live up to those standards. Expand
  46. Jun 21, 2012
    rockstar games.we all loved the beloved GTA4.Rockstar games is back again with a masterpiece in my book.the story line is deep and u can feel the characters come to life.it made me play for 7 hours straight.this is a game worth getting
  47. Jun 21, 2012
    After I finished the game, I tried to play it one more time....
    ...but then....
    ..... I got frustrated like hell..
    because I had to watch the long cutscenes again and again..
    I tried to skip them but I couldnt skip them most of the time
  48. Jun 22, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have been a fan since the start and I was pleasantly thrilled at the outcome. Solid gameplay and I love the new setting. Adds some spice to the game while keeping to its low down roots. The Mulitplayer is great majority of the times, but there have been server issues with disconnections and resets. Only downfall I have seen for such an outstanding game.
  49. Jun 22, 2012
    What an awesome game. With a story that quickly immerses you, I'm proud to admit that Max Payne 3 is an excellent addition to the series. With an onslaught of horribly disappointing sequels over the last year, it was refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to try something new with it's mechanics while NOT selling out it's loyal fanbase with a streamlined shell of it's predecessors.What an awesome game. With a story that quickly immerses you, I'm proud to admit that Max Payne 3 is an excellent addition to the series. With an onslaught of horribly disappointing sequels over the last year, it was refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to try something new with it's mechanics while NOT selling out it's loyal fanbase with a streamlined shell of it's predecessors. Well done Rockstar : ) Expand
  50. Jun 22, 2012
    too manyy cutscenes spoil the fps
    bullettime is interesting addition, however:
    "max is too old" is the excuse for you not being as awesome as before, so diving bullettime isn't really that useful here :(
    lazy effort rockstar, lazy effort.
  51. Jun 23, 2012
    Single player is a great ride, and so long as you dont mind the long chatty cutscenes you will have a great time with this. The gunplay is solid, the shots have a real punch to them. Arcade modes to enhance the single player experience once the story ends are nice additions but hardly must play stuff. The multiplayer is really a surprise, it is great fun, has a COD like levelling systemSingle player is a great ride, and so long as you dont mind the long chatty cutscenes you will have a great time with this. The gunplay is solid, the shots have a real punch to them. Arcade modes to enhance the single player experience once the story ends are nice additions but hardly must play stuff. The multiplayer is really a surprise, it is great fun, has a COD like levelling system and many varied game modes with team play being rewarded well. However, if your in Australia (like me) youll find you can never find a server that doesnt give you at least a 300ms lag delay. This destroys the multiplayer for me, i often feel cheated by some of the deaths i recieve playing. this rating will be a nine or ten if rockstar can fix it so we can chose regions for multiplayer. However this is still certainly the most impressive game ive played thus far this year Expand
  52. Jun 23, 2012
    TOO MUCH CUT SCENE, but the few places were there is game play it is good, you feel his age, and it is not helping him. Biggest complain is the cut scene thing.
  53. Jun 24, 2012
    The worst game i have ever played..... I am a huge fan of Max Payne but with this one it is **** now. Thanks Rockstar..... I did buy the first Max Payne for my tablet 100 times better than this garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  54. Jun 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing! Unfortunately, the game itself is a huge disappointment. The first Max Payne was great, and the second was amazing. I've gone back and played them both again and again, but since I finally finished this one, I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

My biggest complaint is that you can no longer save your game. You have to get to a "checkpoint." Having to repeat the same parts countless times gets frustrating pretty quickly, and takes all the fun out of it. Apparently these software companies think that gamers everywhere are saying, "You know what I really hate? Being able to save my game whenever I want to!" Granted, it's not nearly as bad as Far Cry, where I was stuck at the same checkpoint for two weeks, but it's quite frustrating. The controls are a royal pain. I got used to them after awhile, but that doesn't mean I liked it, especially not being able to jump. And for some reason, Max can only carry a couple guns at a time now.

I loved the cutscenes in Max Payne 1 & 2, and thought there should have been more of them. But this one has way too many. And it's not always obvious when the cutscene ends and you're back in the action. I got killed this way quite a few times. And as several other people mention, after some cutscenes, it insists on switching you to that stupid pistol, regardless of which weapon you were using before the cutscene.

Before you can even play a single player game, you have to sign up for an online account. You read that right. An online account. For a single player game. What is the point of this?

There is a particularly annoying bug in this game, where sometimes it will pause itself for no reason. Last I heard, the company had no plans to fix this, because they "can't recreate the problem." The storylines in the first two games were interesting, full of plot twists, and memorable characters. I kept playing because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. This one, it got to the point where the only reason I kept playing was to be done with it. The characters are so uninteresting that I kept forgetting who was who as the story progressed. I even lost interest in the story itself after awhile. Max being in South America just seems wrong. The flashback scenes from before he left the USA were a little better, but it still wasn't the same. And it never really explained how Max got to where he "wasn't a cop anymore." At the beginning of the second game, it went into a decent amount of detail about the events the happened between the first and second game, but there was none of that in this one. None of the characters from the first two games were in this one, other than a couple of passing references. I know, most of the characters had been killed off, but there were a few that survived, and a few that sounded like they may have survived.

After the second game, I was hoping for a third one. Sadly, it turned out to be a huge disappointment, and I'm sorry I wasted $60 on it.
  55. Apr 27, 2013
    It's a Rockstar game, did you expect any less than a 10/10?

Graphics are amazing for current gen 10/10 Storytelling is gripping and thrilling 10/10 Gameplay is smooth and addictive 10/10 Hidden items and bonuses are a breeze to find and have a satisfying reward10/10 The multiplayer brings more action and addictiveness and has a ton of replayability 10/10 This is a fantastic
    It's a Rockstar game, did you expect any less than a 10/10?

Graphics are amazing for current gen 10/10
    Storytelling is gripping and thrilling 10/10
    Gameplay is smooth and addictive 10/10
    Hidden items and bonuses are a breeze to find and have a satisfying reward10/10

This is a fantastic gritty, and brutal sequel to the original max payne double of the 2000's

and the Multiplayer isn't half bad either, it's satisfying enough to keep us playing for longer and longer.

This is a must play for Max Payne fans and shooter fans everywhere!
  56. Jul 4, 2012
    A Great game with good optimization, the story and the mechanics are excellent and cinematic are brillant make you feel the pain and the emotions of Max Payne 3 feel like Max Payne and its Max Payne 3, Rockstar Games Make a great job with this game and some bugs or consolers reviews can change this, The PC version is better
  57. Jun 27, 2012
    exellent game with great story and it s one of the difficult games in this generation. great ia and very nice graphics
  58. Jul 1, 2012
    I had to laugh at all the 10's. Rockstar had all their employee's, friends and relatives write reviews. I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this is crap, for all the reasons listed in the other reviews. I like to play a game not watch it. Do yourself a favor and wait till the price drops if you just have to have it. It won't hurt as bad when you find out what I'm telling you is true. Take all theI had to laugh at all the 10's. Rockstar had all their employee's, friends and relatives write reviews. I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this is crap, for all the reasons listed in the other reviews. I like to play a game not watch it. Do yourself a favor and wait till the price drops if you just have to have it. It won't hurt as bad when you find out what I'm telling you is true. Take all the 10's, 0's and 1's out and you will get a good idea of a correct score Expand
  59. Jul 1, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its notMax Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its not about the action its about the story. I will admit rockstar screwed up in the advertisements and tried to make it out like it was a "non-stop action game" which is why i think alot of people went out and bought it. But anyone who has played the first 2 know theres a deep story involved. How else are they going to give you all the details of max paynes whole story with out cut scenes? To me they dont take away from the experience they add to suspense and the real emotions of the main character. If you want a deep emotional adult orientated story Max Payne 3 is it, if you want a nonstop shooter that has no story or cut scenes at all...thats why they release a COD every year. Expand
  60. Oct 20, 2012
    I had issues with the DVD, which meant I couldn't play for 2 months whilst that got sorted out, but it was a fun game while it lasted, but it felt a bit short. The graphics was pretty decent, and the story was engaging, but for such a short game, a bit of user-guided selection to the plot would have been nice. That way you could play it through again with a different approach and get a bitI had issues with the DVD, which meant I couldn't play for 2 months whilst that got sorted out, but it was a fun game while it lasted, but it felt a bit short. The graphics was pretty decent, and the story was engaging, but for such a short game, a bit of user-guided selection to the plot would have been nice. That way you could play it through again with a different approach and get a bit more gametime for your money.
    On harder difficulty there is a good challenge, and that's always nice for a second run-through. There were a few environmental issues like line-of-sight and walking through objects that would have been nice to clean up before release, but it didn't ruin the game completely.
  61. Nov 25, 2012
    Max Payne 3 have pretty big shoes to fill and the games manages to get it right in some areas while it falls flat in others. The action in the game is pretty damn good. They have changed it from the old formula by adding cover-based shooting to the mix which makes the gameplay a little bit slower than it was in the previous games. The old health-system is thankfully still intact and evenMax Payne 3 have pretty big shoes to fill and the games manages to get it right in some areas while it falls flat in others. The action in the game is pretty damn good. They have changed it from the old formula by adding cover-based shooting to the mix which makes the gameplay a little bit slower than it was in the previous games. The old health-system is thankfully still intact and even though the action is a bit slower than it was earlier it never feels like its entirely based around covers. The old jump and gun action is still there and it works and looks great and i personally have no problems with the addition of the cover-system. One problems that i have is that the slightly left/right behind camera angel feels awkward and you often get the feeling that Max have clear view of the target while you dont. Story-wise the game follows in the footsteps of its predecessor and is pretty great. The old visual-novel style story telling is gone and the story feels less self-aware of its own silliness than in the previous Max Payne games. That doesnt change that the story and narrative by Max is pretty damn good and i wholeheartedly
    enjoyed it. The biggest flaw of Max Payne 3 though is the cutscenes. The problem is not that they look bad, the problem is that they wont stay away. I have no problem with a shooter being linear but in this game the narrative takes total control over every action you make and it feels like you are only allowed to play the shooting parts since the games is worried that you might screw up and make it look bad. In the first hour of the game there were probably more cutscenes or "gameplay" in cutscenes than there was real gameplay. Thankfully it gets a little bit better later in the game but its still always there. In some areas it gets totally absurd when you arent allowed to control the sniper-movement the few second between the shootings. It totally kills the immersion and you are left wondering why cant i do that. Why arent i allowed to do all the cool stuff that happens in the cutscenes? It feels cheap and it really hurts the
    game. The worst part of it is that it makes the game feel like its following a formula. Cutscene-->Shootout in a small area--> Cutscene and so on. I still had a good time with the 10 hourish campaign though and i would still recommend playing this game for all fans of action games or old Payne-fans. I wouldn't recommend paying 40 bucks for it though.
  62. Jul 3, 2012
    Its no doubt superb game even though the game play is a bit choppy. However that is mainly due to keyboard mapping not making much sense. Game is enjoyable with game pad as well. After finishing the game on hard difficulty, I must say it is also a lengthy game. Considering it takes a whopping 26gb space with most of the dlc content, it is not shocking. Although the Max's comments are pureIts no doubt superb game even though the game play is a bit choppy. However that is mainly due to keyboard mapping not making much sense. Game is enjoyable with game pad as well. After finishing the game on hard difficulty, I must say it is also a lengthy game. Considering it takes a whopping 26gb space with most of the dlc content, it is not shocking. Although the Max's comments are pure drunken poetry in motion, majority of the time Max plays himself, almost at every event cut scenes take over and you wait as the game throws you back into the action, sometimes right as you get shot at. I cannot tell you how many times I have died while playing hard difficulty because I am looking at an awkward direction while getting shot at after cut scenes. More over, gameplay is choppy because it often decides to switch 3rd person view from one side to another, it gets you killed during forced slow motion moments and around the corners often. Not to mention diving into the direction automatically after losing health and losing sight of the enemy which you need to kill to survive, while having 5 pain killers is pure epic fail. Similar things happen when you are out of ammo, or shot in the back and you watch Max try to turn his weapon around to shoot the enemy, as you slowly fall on the ground and die. But as you get angry at the game play, before you know it there is a long cut scene which makes you forget it ever happened.

In short, you do not play Max Payne, he plays himself. You just die here and there. If Max Payne 3 was a movie (and it sort of is) It would have pwned Max Payne the movie, hands down, the story is that good. Game play however is subpar. Good thing they hyped the game up, they will need that money when Brazil namely Sao Paolo sues them.
  63. Jul 3, 2012
    Well it's no GTA, no Red Dead, not even LA Noire. I really wanted to like this game as it's Rockstar and after seeing Edge give it a healthy 7 and IGN an impressive 9 (altho they gave Red Dead Undead and MW4 a 9...) I thought it might be better than I expected. However I'm finding it quite tedious, there's no exploration, no decision-making, no intelligence, just here's a nice setting, nowWell it's no GTA, no Red Dead, not even LA Noire. I really wanted to like this game as it's Rockstar and after seeing Edge give it a healthy 7 and IGN an impressive 9 (altho they gave Red Dead Undead and MW4 a 9...) I thought it might be better than I expected. However I'm finding it quite tedious, there's no exploration, no decision-making, no intelligence, just here's a nice setting, now shoot some bad guys, here's another nice setting, repeat. With its duck and cover system in a way it's like a beautiful and elaborate whack-a-mole, and I admit it is addictive. But after an hour or so I'm burnt out and the wobbly camera makes me feel a bit nauseous. Pros:
    - beautiful graphics and perfect animation
    - good cinematography and slick presentation
    - slo-mo shootouts are fun, the triumph probly being the matrix-style office scene where everything gets smashed up

Cons:
    - cheesy predictable dialogue (is it meant to be? like Naked Gun?)
    - constant cut scenes seem a bit unnecessary
    - shaky camera makes you feel a bit wur after a while
    - lack of variety in gameplay, there's only ever one way of doing things
    - too linear
    - lack of intelligence overall Have played up to chapter where he's invading old hotel, can't wait to finish it so I can play something a bit more stimulating for my brain muscle rather than my index finger muscle!
  64. Jul 4, 2012
    You idiots will never be satisfied with a modern sequel to a classic game. Emphasis on the 'classic'. Max Payne 3 is a great game and a welcome addition to the franchise. If I had to play another run-and-gun no-cover always-diving with dated graphics, I wouldn't be rating this game so highly. The controls in Max Payne 3 are fluid and much improved over the originals. Max's character andYou idiots will never be satisfied with a modern sequel to a classic game. Emphasis on the 'classic'. Max Payne 3 is a great game and a welcome addition to the franchise. If I had to play another run-and-gun no-cover always-diving with dated graphics, I wouldn't be rating this game so highly. The controls in Max Payne 3 are fluid and much improved over the originals. Max's character and voice acting is superb and is a definite improvement as well. The cover systems keeps the game challenging and intense between all the baddies shooting at you. The cut scenes which everyone **** and moans about disguise the loading screens - a modern improvement to an old concept? Whodda thought! The gameplay is extremely satisfying and rewarding, never gets old even after 10+ hours of play. If you're a fan of the previous instalments of Max Payne, please ignore the idiot reviewers who will never be satisfied with anything other than the original games and do yourself a favour - get Max Payne 3! I've already put twice the time into MP3 than I did either of the originals, because I'm enjoying it so much. Haven't touched multiplayer, just because I only know Max Payne for the single player...but I've heard its a decent addon as well. Expand
  65. Jul 6, 2012
    Good game series and story, but Max Payne 3 had a few glitches and issues where i died and shouldn't have. Plus the game was NOT worth $60, a very short game for that amount. Next time ill wait till its on sale.
  66. Jul 5, 2012
    fantastic game...though was a bit boring in the beginning chapters but den d story truly develops and the game begins to rise as well..lovable characters ... gr8 voice play...nice cutscenes and cool music...ol in ol a satisfying game after quite a bit of time...
    hope to see more of such games...
  67. Jul 7, 2012
    What is that not a **** console port coming out of the hands of Rockstar? yup that's right! We finally got a nice polished PC release from Rockstar. (so again: THIS IS NOT A CONSOLE PORT) The best points of the game are the story, the level design and depth of the characters. The story is quite deep, but it really gets to you. And as the story progresses it only gets better. Also noWhat is that not a **** console port coming out of the hands of Rockstar? yup that's right! We finally got a nice polished PC release from Rockstar. (so again: THIS IS NOT A CONSOLE PORT) The best points of the game are the story, the level design and depth of the characters. The story is quite deep, but it really gets to you. And as the story progresses it only gets better. Also no knowledge about the previous games is needed to be able to follow the story. (after all it has been some time ago that MP2 came out). As for the characters; they are worked out very nice. I don't often feel sympathy for characters in a game, but in MP3 I really did. You get a nice insight of the characters as the story progresses. and I was really impressed by the level design. There is a part where you end up in favelas, and man, that's some super level design. a good eye for details and just very lively. I just love it. Than for the cutscenes. I'm not a big fan of cut scenes, but here they just fit in so well. The game is meant to be cinematic. and it's all very story driven. Yes there are some very long cut scenes. But there would be no other way of telling the story rather then this. they also blend in very nicely with the game play. the only downside to everything is that the gameplay is quite monotone. Shoot a 100 gangsters here. shoot a 100 there. Sometimes it's a little spiced up. But generally it's quite repetitive which is a shame. they could have done better. A thing that kinda makes it good. Is the fact that there is no regenerating health. You actually have to manage your health here. Unlike all those casual casual games of these times. But the rest really makes it up for that, big time! I lost my faith in Rockstar with their previous releases. But with Max Payne they really regained all my respect. Job well done Rockstar! Don't hesitate and just PLAY IT! Expand
  68. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I can see there are lots of negative comments. Are you kidding me? Some commented that they don't like the name of football team, the game is serious. Lol. This is a great game. The story is awesome. Pyscho- Thriller action packed game. What more can you ask for. Nice Job Rockstar!
  69. Jul 9, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a fun game. It brings back that old feeling from Max Payne 1 and 2. The story is exciting and fun, but does not relate well with the later games well. This game plays like a movie, which I found to be nice and it kept me engaged in the game. The game play is very similar to the old Max Payne games so it was refreshing for me at least. I would recommend this game to peopleMax Payne 3 is a fun game. It brings back that old feeling from Max Payne 1 and 2. The story is exciting and fun, but does not relate well with the later games well. This game plays like a movie, which I found to be nice and it kept me engaged in the game. The game play is very similar to the old Max Payne games so it was refreshing for me at least. I would recommend this game to people who played the previous Max Payne's or someone who wants a story driven fps. Expand
  70. Jul 9, 2012
    Its an average Game.

Why ? Well the Story is quite nice, and Max has some Bad Ass attitude but that wont wash away all the things that a re so utterly wrong with this Game. First of all the Cutscenes well they were always Special but i dont want to get Pakinson from it. Second worst is the Difficulty, i mean the enemies hit you so hard and so precisely it isnt even fun cause of
    Its an average Game.

Second worst is the Difficulty, i mean the enemies hit you so hard and so precisely it isnt even fun cause of the lack of Painkillers.

Third Place of **** gets the Hardware Requirements iam running an GTX680 OCed and well it sometimes laggs, even though the game looks like it was made 2-4 years ago!

4th. Place is the Scripting it happens WAY too often that enemies spawn behind you or even better IN YOUR FACE with a Shotgun but why ? Has nobody freakin played it and watched over that ?

5th. Place is stuff like Laserpointers they should help but they make the aiming even more freaking worse i hit a guy in the face about 32 Shots and nothing happened.

I regret buying this game even though it got patched an i buyed it late to avoid this stuff it didnt help this Game ist NOT RECOMMENDED !
  71. Jul 29, 2012
    I found the gameplay much more advanced and easily adaptable..Rockstar games never seem to disappoint us...great graphics..only thing i found lacking was the absence of our original max payne, with his black leather jacket, washed in the rain, always hiding behind the shadows..original poets of the fall theme was fantastic..this time, i loved the final score called tears..it really got myI found the gameplay much more advanced and easily adaptable..Rockstar games never seem to disappoint us...great graphics..only thing i found lacking was the absence of our original max payne, with his black leather jacket, washed in the rain, always hiding behind the shadows..original poets of the fall theme was fantastic..this time, i loved the final score called tears..it really got my adrenaline pumping to play the final chapter in style..overall it was fun Expand
  72. Oct 3, 2012
    I love how I looked at the PS3 reviews and the "most helpful" ones were positive and then on PC they are mostly negative. I love PC gaming, but the community is a bunch of crying **** to be honest. No game is perfect you guys take one flaw and give the game a zero. Have you ever heard of an objective review? Get off your high horse and make your own game if you think you know so much about gaming.
  73. Jul 14, 2012
    The good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effectThe good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effect when Max gets shot or is drunk. But when it is constant even when Max is just fine, it only annoys. Also this screen flickering takes a toll on your eyes if you are playing more than a hour. Other little things that mess up the game is the cover system, which is really dull and stupid. There is no cover to cover mechanism, the is no sprint that works and its easier to get shot when you pop out from cover than when you are not using it at all (i.e. just use bullet time instead). The guns are another annoyance. there is almost no difference between the guns when it comes to distance and damage. It is just as easy/hard to get a one bullet headshot kill on vast distances whether you use a pistol or a rifle. Also there are no access to explosive secondaries like grenades, Molotov **** etc. in the single player. The story is fine, but the constant narrative about how Max is just a drunk old fart about to die, gets old pretty fast, and does not harmonize with what is actually going on in the game. Which is Max behaving like a bad ass commando mowing down hordes of gangsters. This constant negative focus removes the sense of any character progress for Max. Quite unlike the previous Max games when you started in the gutter and fought your way to the penthouse of a corporate skyscraper. Expand
  74. Jul 15, 2012
    No big deal... boring... graphic sucks.... slo-mo for ???
    Big title... dissapointed... yeah, i play from Max Payne 1....
    but, hey, you try some others game 2012, the Cinematic, Graphic, Scene.... all are greater, higher res textures, everything render more beautifully....
  75. Jul 15, 2012
    Great and very solid story, great game play, great graphics. It's been a long time since I played such a good game. Rockstar is really the best. Recommended!
  76. Jul 16, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece.

I am at a loss for words how some could give this a mixed review let alone NEGATIVE. Anyone reading this with the hopes of finding validation to try the game. PLAY THE GAME, IT IS INCREDIBLE. First off I want to say the people who have given this game a negative score are not only uneducated, but are probably ignorant in real life as well. Ignore the
    This game is a masterpiece.

First off I want to say the people who have given this game a negative score are not only uneducated, but are probably ignorant in real life as well. Ignore the negative reviews, they are from people who probably had a crappy upbringing and never learned to appreciate good things in life.

Anyway, back to this amazing piece of PC gaming goodness. This game delivers its single player campaign in amazingly gritty, smooth and polished game play that I have come to expect from Rockstar Games. The campaign is fast-paced, its brutal, its everything you would ever want from a Max Payne game. Maximum Pain at every corner, behind every closed door.

While the storyline may seem confusing in the beginning (switches in timeline), everything will make sense as you fight your way through bleak city streets, urban guerrilla favelas and high rise apartments. This game takes you seamlessly from environment to environment without making it feel weird or without flow.

The game has no loading times if played in one sitting from start to finish, it is like playing an amazingly awesome action movie. I had no issue with the constant cut-scenes and dialogue, it keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times and you are waiting with baited breath to dive back into the unrelenting action.

Rockstar means it when they say they delayed this game to make it good, they have made it great. They have redefined the Max Payne franchise and taken the storyline and gameplay to a whole new level. This is without a doubt the BEST Max Payne game I have played since the franchise started.

Again, ignore the haters, play the single player and you will enjoy it. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, that will be next on the agenda.
  77. Aug 24, 2012
    Wow, i'm completely thrown off by so many negative scores on the game.
    Wow, i'm completely thrown off by so many negative scores on the game.
    I really don't want to focus too much into all this negative criticism but I have to say that I understand now why games like call of duty which is pretty much a copy paste year after year has become one of the most succesful, best selling games but this same gamers are the ones that give Max Payne 3 a very low score but eat the **** that EA defecates every god forsaken year.
    Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.
    I have played all of the Max Payne games and I have to say that this is the best of the franchise.
    The story is compelling, interesting, the one liners are sometimes cheesy but work well with the character. Max can be a bad ass at times and others a bit pathetic, and that makes it feel totally human.
    There has been complaining about not being able to skip cutscenes, apparently the game loads the map while playing the cutscenes, so you dont see a friggin "Loading game" screen ever. I rather see the story than a black screen, thank you very much Rockstar.
    Talking about Rockstar there is one thing that really muddles the narrative, the constant flash of the screen, and the highlight of certain words that the characters are saying, I have a hard time trying to describe this. I mean it's fine for a while but after 10 hours of gameplay, it gets old and by the time you get to the end, you hate it.
    The graphics aren't ground breaking but look well enough, I was amazed about the amount of details put on the scenery, specially when playing through the favelas, evidently they put a lot of work into making them look realistic. I played in a 40 inch screen at 1920x1080 and game looks very nice and plays smoothly and I dont have a high end video card.
    The controls are responsive most of the times, cover works fine, despite what some people might say, although there is one flaw, going from cover to cover sucks big time.
    One thing I dont understand is the laser beam on the weapons. it just doesn't work well, its more an annoyance than anything else. I dont get why should we have it when i'm playing in third person and I have a **** dot on the middle of the screen. the dot beats any laser that the guns may have, that is just silly.
    The game mechanics are true to the series, they added some little tweaks here and there like the infamous last stand, it is all good to me in this matter.
    The difficulty of the game might be frustrating to some people, if you dont like to die, well you won't be happy because you die a lot, you can't just ram the whole game through your enemies, there are times where you have to think how to approach them. In hard difficulty the games offers a challenge unlike other games. I think games are too easy nowadays.
    In conclusion, the game is solid fun, the story is interesting, Max Payne is an interesting character and the narrative i'ts well done, it's action packed, lots of guns and little secrets and rewards to collect throughout the levels. So there is plenty of contect.
    The game took me about 15 to 20 hours, playing in hard.
    I highly recommend this game, you can get a digital copy online (google it) for as low as 20 bucks.
    peace out!
  78. Jul 17, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. Ignore the negative reviews if you are on the edge. Everything about this game is amazing. The story behind it is superb, the game is almost perfectly put together. If you let the fact that you can not skip the cut scene's ruin a game for you don't buy it. But the cut scenes are absolutely amazing and add to a great story. None of the cutThis is one of the best games I have ever played. Ignore the negative reviews if you are on the edge. Everything about this game is amazing. The story behind it is superb, the game is almost perfectly put together. If you let the fact that you can not skip the cut scene's ruin a game for you don't buy it. But the cut scenes are absolutely amazing and add to a great story. None of the cut scenes and you are never sitting in your seat waiting to play. Overall this is one of the best games I have personally played in a long time. Expand
  79. Jul 22, 2012
    This game is amazing. I love it, and play through the campaign all the time. I have no idea why everybody hates it so much for the cut-scenes. In the description of the game, it used the word cinematic. You want cut-scenes? Play Metal Gear Solid 4. You have to appreciate and play through the Max Payne trilogy in order to like this.
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 is the best Rockstar game I have seen released, so far. I finished the game in 12hours with 7 Golden Weapons Achieved! 9/10 Graphics! 9/10 Story! 9/10 Game play! Never seen A Loading screen. Expand
  81. Jul 23, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 single-player style. The visuals were incredible. The arsenal was varied. The controls were responsive and easy to use. The linear, cinematic format worked well. It was like an interactive action movie with a linear plot and constrained environment. I can see where people who are looking for an open-ended shooter might be disappointed by this and by theI really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 single-player style. The visuals were incredible. The arsenal was varied. The controls were responsive and easy to use. The linear, cinematic format worked well. It was like an interactive action movie with a linear plot and constrained environment. I can see where people who are looking for an open-ended shooter might be disappointed by this and by the numerous cut-scene interruptions of action. It didn't disappoint me. I was enthralled and didn't want to stop playing. I would have given it a 10, but I agree with what many others have said that the player should be able to skip cut scenes if they want to. Overall, though, I liked the game so much that I am now looking for another game with a similar style. Expand
  82. Aug 7, 2012
    The best 3rd person shooter I have ever played. The action is breathtaking and violent, writing is superb (I've never heard such great dialogues in a shooter game, some quotes are just genius), every single detail is perfected. I already completed this game twice, and gameplay still offers a challenge.
    Why 9, but not 10? Even though the story is totally awesome, maybe Rockstar gone to far with an amount of cut-scenes.
    Despite this, Max Payne 3 is flawless.
  83. Jul 27, 2012
    I do not recommend this game to anyone. Some reasons that comes to mind now:

-The game was made in a completely linear, with various interactive and cut scenes between every moment of gameplay. It is poorly-balanced, so that in certain parts where you get low on ammo or painkiller. After a few attempts, you automatically receive the items in order to pass the challenge. -The addition
    I do not recommend this game to anyone. Some reasons that comes to mind now:

-The addition of the "cover", which was made ​​the brand franchise, Bullet Time, completely useless. Not to mention that the gameplay is truncated due to an attempt to make a more realistic character movement.

Anyway, not worth your time (and money) spent.

OBS: Translated from Portuguese in Google Translator. Sorry!
  84. Jul 28, 2012
    Too many unskippable cut scenes break any sort of rhythm the game might otherwise have achieved. You'll rarely have more than one or two fight sequences between cinematics, so you start about a third of the battles in a stupid position with the wrong weapon equipped wondering if you've got control yet.

I gave up after a few hours. Maybe there are things in the later parts of the story or the multilayer that redeem it, but I quit when i was forced to do the second sniper mini-game only half way through chapter 3. I loved the first game and would replay sections over and over so i could get the perfect head shot or diving uzi spray. But i can't face this. Yes it looks lovely and it certainly has a plot, but this game has more in common with Resident Evil 5 or Time Crisis than the original Max Payne and as a gamer that likes to get really immersed in a game, playing this felt like I was at my mates house taking it in turns to play one life each on Call of Duty. I think it could be modded into something playable, but Rockstar have put so much emphasis on polish and style that i've uninstalled it until someone independent makes a patch.
  85. Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an odd beast. It may be just what some fans wanted, but it may be hard to like for new-comers. At times its mechanics come together to make a pretty good action game, and at other times, they collapse on themselves. The story mode is about a broken, alcoholic, painkiller addict with an irresistible urge to kill bad guys. It's not pretty, and certainly never happy, and theMax Payne 3 is an odd beast. It may be just what some fans wanted, but it may be hard to like for new-comers. At times its mechanics come together to make a pretty good action game, and at other times, they collapse on themselves. The story mode is about a broken, alcoholic, painkiller addict with an irresistible urge to kill bad guys. It's not pretty, and certainly never happy, and the writing does well to deliver an engrossing tone which is very well supported by the good voice acting. Meanwhile, the presentation is stylistic, and the graphics are quite nice. You'll find yourself in various environments which display the graphics engine's staying power, but not much in visual flair or varying colors. The levels just look like the places they're supposed to be, no unique art style or tone; you've been to these places in other games, making Max Payne 3 overall a bit bland to look at. On the PC, the additional settings available are very welcome, including DX11 support and an actual counter to tell you how much VRAM you're using. Its Rockstar's GTA IV engine essentially, so you'll see the aging this time around like low poly edges, less roundness in the environments, and not-the-best facial animation. Additionally, watch out for the install size which nears about 25GB of space.
    Throughout the game, you'll be treated to extensive cutscenes that merge pretty seamlessly into gameplay. Unfortunately, extended play will reveal that these cutscenes seem overdone: Max's monologues, though well-written and voiced, are consistently pessimistic, sarcastic, and just self-defacing, all the time. Max hates himself, and is fully aware of the terrible situations he's in, which is fine until he decides to tell you about how crappy things are over and over again. It's gets annoying, often I found myself wishing he'd have something else to say, like something more creative than another sarcastic line about how these rich people were terrible or how crappy the situation was. The next things to get irritated were my eyes. The game does 2 stylistic things in its presentation: words from the dialogue pop up on-screen and the screen often wigs out of focus or has TV lines obscuring part of it. This makes the game look unique, sure, but they irritate my eyes. The screen falling out of focus and such so often was not comfortable to watch, and as much as it could be selling the hung-over old dog in an overstimulating world experience, it becomes too much for tolerance. Then there are the words that pop up: they tend to be emphasized words in the dialogue and they pop up for no discernible reason, there really isn't any gameplay significance at all and unless you're dying to see what gets pointed out next, it's a pointless novelty. At least the music is okay, but nothing that really caught my ear.
    Basically, the game goes cutscene -> linear cover-based shooting level -> cutscene, and there isn''t much deviation from the pattern. As a game, Max Payne 3 still has the trademark Bullet-time mechanic that's essentially a limited (be refillable via killing and waiting) supply of player-triggered slow-motion. You also have the shoot-dodge jump which slows down time as Max dives in a chosen direction, but stops abruptly once he runs into something, leaving him to awkwardly take his time to stand back up. As opposed to other 3rd person shooters, there is no regenerating health in the single player, so you need to rely on consumable painkillers which will not heal you 100%. If you're shot fatally with a painkiller in your inventory, you'll go on a Last Stand sort of slow-motion event where you can kill the guy who shot you to live. It's nice to have seeing as how easily you'll get shot from people out of nowhere. You can't take many hits to begin with, and enemy AI is often aggressive and flanking. You'll need to take cover to survive. This is where Max Payne doesn't feel like Max Payne. You WILL need to take cover, lest you die. And you'll often be using bullet-time to peek out of cover just land a shot without getting hit, instead of diving or running-and-gunning, as you would expect of this franchise. Do anything else, and you'll probably die. This game is pretty strict and doesn't allow much for creativity. Enemies spawn in unfair places, and the slow-mo final kill cams can be misleading when you walk a few steps and find yourself in another encounter with no cover. No cover traversal means you'll get shot trying to get to cover, which is extra annoying with the unusual controls, and Max's own lumbering but well-animated movements. Sprinting is slow, and Max stands up completely after a roll before moving again. The Rockstar atypical single-white-dot aiming reticule makes a return, and at times can be indiscernible in the scenery, thou
  86. Jul 29, 2012
    The gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room onThe gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room on their own accord.
    The whole novelty of this game is that some of the game plays style actually predates the first Max Payne game, while using truly up to date graphics and a remarkably cutting edge game engine.Plus some modern touches like the cover system.
    There isn't much re-play value and the multi-player system is rather weak, but if you have the Hardware to play this at it's full graphical glory then I highly recommend it. Also there are some audio issues if you try to use spdif to dts surround I believe due to dx9 audio. So if your computer is integrated into your home stereo system that way, then set it for stereo instead of surround or use headphones (it sounded great through my akg701s). Be sure to check graphic card compatibility and such before you buy the game and to download the latest drivers, because I've read some reviews where people with the wrong hardware where having hissy fits. For example a mac user duel booting into windows... that review was hilarious
  87. Jul 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great addition to the Max Payne series. Do not let these other whiny reviews ruin your hopes for Max Payne. The biggest complaint I'm seeing from people is about cutscenes - well, had any of you actually played the old Max Payne games, you would realize that Max Payne was told through dozens and dozens of comic book style noire frames, as well as lengthy cutscenes. TheseMax Payne 3 is a great addition to the Max Payne series. Do not let these other whiny reviews ruin your hopes for Max Payne. The biggest complaint I'm seeing from people is about cutscenes - well, had any of you actually played the old Max Payne games, you would realize that Max Payne was told through dozens and dozens of comic book style noire frames, as well as lengthy cutscenes. These ARE Max Payne, and the cutscenes, while lengthy and numerous, are *extremely* well done. Everything from the voice acting to the animations are top notch quality, better than nearly any game on the market, and the developers did an amazing job of telling Max's story. The game play is - very much like the old Max games - extremely intense and fast paced action, broken up by the ability to bullet time, and cutscenes to give you a breather. The only fault I can give this game is the MULTIPLAYER - it is absolutely terrible on PC, and clearly designed for console gamers. While it looks good, and has some nifty features, the entire experience is marred by a complete lack of balance (the most powerful pistol in the game is a .32 revolver, doing nearly TWICE as much damage as a .50 cal desert eagle.....) Any fun that *could* be had in a multiplayer game is immediately ruined when someone high enough level to have unlocked either of the 2 sniper rifles joins the game.Both are 1 shot kill, semi automatic, and one can even hold 20 rounds. Its literally a 1 shot killing machine with 20 bullets and little to no recoil, even a finger shot will kill someone. Not to mention the fact that games that allow people to go into third person and hide behind cover are cheesy enough to begin with, pair that with the superior aiming ability on PC platform and you have a recipe for disaster. All and all, Max Payne is a superb game, and worth every bit of the 39$ I paid for it on steam summer sale, the single player is phenomenally well done, and is a MUST play for any oldschool Max Payne fans out there!

Graphics - 10
    Gameplay - 8 (the weapons are TOO accurate in single player, makes the game too easy)
    Sound - 10
    Voice Acting - 10 Multiplayer - 3
    Replayability - low

Overall I give it a 9/10
  88. Aug 3, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had in a game in a while. The graphics are great, and so is the gameplay. The story wasn't by the same people as Max Payne 1 and 2, so you can expect different. They story was excellent in my opinion. Multiplayer is fine, but if you aren't that great at Max Payne you might die a lot. The same goes for singleplayer. The game is a bit difficult, but the checkpointsThis is the most fun I've had in a game in a while. The graphics are great, and so is the gameplay. The story wasn't by the same people as Max Payne 1 and 2, so you can expect different. They story was excellent in my opinion. Multiplayer is fine, but if you aren't that great at Max Payne you might die a lot. The same goes for singleplayer. The game is a bit difficult, but the checkpoints are plentiful. Expand
  89. Aug 4, 2012
    Офигенный сюжет, история супер, геймплей на высоте!!! На мой взглядОфигенный сюжет, история супер, геймплей на высоте!!! На мой взгляд лучшая игра в которую я играл 2012 г. Жаль, что играл в пиратку.... Expand
  90. Feb 28, 2013
    Being a Rockstar game, it feels very much like GTA in terms of combat, which did get slightly repetitive, but was still great fun, the story was very well developed, my only problem with it is that some cutscenes take a little too long and some of them shouldn't have been there and should have given you control. The soundtrack was amazing, and the graphics were great, even if I couldn'tBeing a Rockstar game, it feels very much like GTA in terms of combat, which did get slightly repetitive, but was still great fun, the story was very well developed, my only problem with it is that some cutscenes take a little too long and some of them shouldn't have been there and should have given you control. The soundtrack was amazing, and the graphics were great, even if I couldn't max out settings due to my average graphics card. Expand
  91. Aug 12, 2012
    I spend half an hour on registering to this Rocstar Game Club only to find out our beloved dark, noir, gritty Max Payne is now bright, happy, brazilian partyman with a love for uncotrollable screen effects that burned my retinas.
  92. Aug 15, 2012
    Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine,Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine, the graphics are glitchy and choppy and the physics are buggy as hell. Also you need to sign up to their useless drm system and be connected all the time to play. Rockstar and Ubisoft love this crap. This is a poor console port that should be avoided. Expand
  93. Aug 16, 2012
    Good game, well optimised for PCs. Graphics is nice and the game keeps you busy. The story is trustworthy.

Gameplay is a bit weak. All you are asked to do is cover-slowmotion-shoot and all over again. The shooting itself became boring after two or three chapters. The story kept me in the game until the end.
  94. Aug 17, 2012
    Looks good, but the controls are dreadful (way too often you try and change to the rifle and end up throwing it away and pulling out a second pistol instead) and the checkpoint system is infuriating. A really promising game, let down by being an appalling and very sloppy console port. With decent controls and a quicksave feature, it could have been brilliant. But it isn't.
  95. Aug 21, 2012
    This is one of those games that pays great attention to storytelling and game technology. I love how Max moves, the animations are top notch, and the game puts heavy emphasis on realistic combat, which puts great difficulty in, but I love it, especially when performing a shootdodge and taking out all the enemies in bullet time, which is very satisfying. I love how it runs on my PC (Core i3This is one of those games that pays great attention to storytelling and game technology. I love how Max moves, the animations are top notch, and the game puts heavy emphasis on realistic combat, which puts great difficulty in, but I love it, especially when performing a shootdodge and taking out all the enemies in bullet time, which is very satisfying. I love how it runs on my PC (Core i3 2100, 4GB DDR3, Nvidia GT 430) on high settings. The story could use some work though. They REALLY should bring back Sami Jarvi on the next iteration of this series, because I want to feel the more noir feel like the first 2 games, unlike the writing put in by Rockstar, which feels like GTA-ish. But I applaud their efforts, and I feel that the game benefited from a huge amount of development time, even though the engine is familiar ( can't help the feeling, because I loved playing Red Dead Redemption too.). Though I don't play multiplayer, because I'm more of a single player type guy, this game is one of the most fantastic third person shooters out there. What I loved about the PC version is it's well optimized, good FPS, even though the recommended specs are demanding. A very good port (Unlike Ghost Recon Future Soldier (PC) which sucks in terms of FPS.) Rockstar did a very good job with this game, and I'm looking forward for their next development (GTA V). If you loved the first two, GET THIS GAME. All I can say is; Welcome Back Max. Expand
  96. Aug 22, 2012
    Just great, I love it. The graphics, the gameplay, the story! If anyone is bothered by the price: Wait and buy it later, like I did. Bought this new game on the Steam summer sale for
  97. Aug 23, 2012
    If your looking to buy Max Payne 3 there is a simple question you must ask yourself. Have you played Max Payne 1 or 2? If you have expect to be disappointed. The plot in this game is dumbed down compared to both of them and while the game may still be "gritty" its completely lost its film noir feel. The chapters which take place in New York after the one explaining Max's departure are outIf your looking to buy Max Payne 3 there is a simple question you must ask yourself. Have you played Max Payne 1 or 2? If you have expect to be disappointed. The plot in this game is dumbed down compared to both of them and while the game may still be "gritty" its completely lost its film noir feel. The chapters which take place in New York after the one explaining Max's departure are out of the blue and don't have the desired effect at all. Would be better if the leaving town back story was covered entirely early on. Or if they had added some more meaning to it somehow. In those places less shooting actually would have been more. I would say that is the key problem to the game. It just doesn't have the same impact and isn't meaningful the way the first two were.
    That being said the game is visually beautiful. The chapters that take place in the sao paulo slums feel both organic and active. Great chapter design. The raid was very well done. I am not a big fan of duck and cover either but it is an effective mechanic and adds some strategy in places. I also like when you hit a hard spot after a few attempts extra painkillers show up when you re-load. The action sequences are quite fun. They could have been a bit more creative making bosses rather than just giving them helmets that bounce the first umpteen bullets. Also the subplot about Max's alcoholism could have been played up more then it was. Like in Max Payne 2 in the dream sequences the controls got all sloppy and it really screwed with you. They could have done the same thing with booze for a chapter or two. All and all this is a good but slightly disappointing game. Being a big fan of the first two titles I felt slightly let down. HOWEVER if you are going into this game having never played the other two you will find this a great game and a very enjoyable play experience. If this game was a new franchise and not a sequel it would be getting rave reviews and have earned them.
  98. Apr 18, 2014
    Been a big fan of the first 2 Max Payne games so when this went out I was excited... until the mixed reviews came out and decided to wait for a Steam sale. It came and got this for for $5.

Holy **** It's far from the original and 'far' as downwards kind of 'far'. I don't know what Rockstar was thinking but Max has been turned into an gun-crazy GTA-style idiot. He always goes for the crazy idiot gunfight approach. The bad guy is in a police station? Charge into the police station with guns in open armpit holsters in broad daylight through the front **** door! Trying to hide from the bad police guys? Run to the bus station and shoot everyone that follows! Trying to find the gang leader? Charge into their town with guns hanging from your holsters and start shooting everyone! The bad guy is in the airport? Charge through the front door and shoot everyone! Why not just go for a sniper rifle and wait for the bad guy to be less protected? No because that is gay! It feels so Grand Theft Auto bombastic testosterone crazy! Always goes for the stupidest cover! Kick down the door into a room full of bad guys and he goes for what? The metal trash can? The corner wall? The ledge? No! He goes for the **** standing suitcase as cover! Always goes for the flimsiest cover all the time! He tries to sneak in cinematics but always gets the enemies to see him and start attacking! **** STUPID! Also no dark brooding environments! The only thing this game has that is impressive is the dialog Max Payne makes when talking to the himself! All the other characters are stupid and behave like morons! What a shameless game! If you like stupid shooters super devoid of common sense this is for you!

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]