7.6

1. Jun 15, 2012
    Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you. Expand
  2. Jun 4, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, especially after paying $60 for it on Steam. The inability to skip the cut scenes pretty much kills any likelihood of ever replaying any of the campaign. As someone else pointed out, you can't even exit the game while a cut scene is going (which is the majority of your gameplay time). The environments are tiny and the action is highly scripted. Don't expect to be able to get creative with your tactics here - everything has to go according to script or you'll be doing it over.

The voice acting is fine, but the dialog is campy and never really sells the whole "noir" thing it's going for. I thought the investment they made in getting the character to consistently aim in the specified direction regardless of his position/movement doesn't really pay off. It just makes him seem a bit ridiculous as he contorts himself to keep his weapon pointed where you're aiming even though you're not firing. I hadn't played the previous Max Payne games, so I was intrigued by the bullet time concept. It works OK, but there are too many cases where you have to use it. The cover system doesn't work very well because there's no good way to move from cover to cover. The environments aren't big enough to flank your enemies anyway. The whole "jump dodge" thing looked cool in the previews, but seems a bit ridiculous in actual gameplay since you inevitably end up rolling around on the ground to shoot at the remaining bad guys.

Overall, I regret spending $60 on this game. Since you can really only play through it once, It might be worth $20 if you wait for it to get discounted. Personally, I'll be steering clear of the Max Payne series. I'm much more interested in gameplay mechanics than in storyline. Hopefully Hit Man Absolution will be more compelling in that regard.
  3. Jun 1, 2012
    The problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially in multiplayer. The 16 player matches are a clusterf* because of bad player spawn placement. Expand
  4. Jun 2, 2012
    It's hard to spoil that kind of game - the recipe is simple and all one needs to do for a successful sequel is to follow it to the letter - but Rockstar managed to screw it up just fine. Boring story, boring gameplay, boring dialogue, and no graphic novels. Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn.

The first thing that comes out it you is a lengthy cinematic. It keeps going, and going, and
    going... eh? yes, still going. No, you can't skip it. For extra fun, you can't even quit the damn game while it's playing, either - the only button you have is to pause it (thanks for that! no, seriously, after the first 2 minutes of that intro I went and made some tea so I could have something to do while watching the rest of it).

While we're at it, the camera just drives me nuts. I understand that all the shaking and the occasional visual glitch effect is intended to convey the perma-drunken state of the player character, but WTF? I GOT IT ALREADY, NOW STOP IT, MY HEAD HURTS!

Dialogue... they tried real hard to copy the gritty wittiness of the original Max Payne, and failed just as hard. Max goes for irony in every second line he speaks, but it's all pretty stale and shallow, and gets boring very quick. The rest of his talk is mostly bitter complaining about how bad things are and how much worse they're going to be. Again, very repetitive, pointless and annoying. Practically no real essence in those lines, overall.

Whew, now that the cinematic is over, I can haz some slo-mo pistol headshots and stuff? Yup... for about one minute. Then it's another two-minute unskippable cinematic. Then another minute of action... and so it goes. What's worse yet, the whole purpose of those periods of no control seems to place Max in precisely the point where he (you!) will have the hardest time dealing with oncoming waves of enemies. Like, say, kicking the door into the room chock full of bad guys, and running to the most wimpy piece of furniture that can still be used for cover - standing in precisely such a location that enemies running in through any door will get a convenient shot should Max peek out. For extra fun, regardless of which gun you were using when the cinematic started, by the end of it Max will always be holding the pistol, even if it ends with a bunch of guns with shotguns barging into the room right ahead of him. Have fun practicing those pistol headshots, you'll have about a second before they unload...

As a result, unlike the original game, where judicious use of bullet time and careful approaches made it possible to progress through the game without being hurt at all, here you're guaranteed to soak damage - it's impossible to avoid being shot when you're stuck in "cover" where all you can do is peek out left or right, and there are five guys with submachine guns and shotguns all shooting at you when you do that. Hope you can get to the next batch of painkillers fast enough. Oh, but not to worry - when you reload from checkpoint, your damage is conveniently reset to zero (on "average" difficulty, at least). So in practice the sole purpose of painkillers is to get you from checkpoint to checkpoint - except that you don't know where the checkpoints are, since there's no indication that you're at one (though any cinematic is guaranteed to have one at the end).

Overall, given that most of the charm of the original game was in the well-executed noir graphic novel style, which seems to be mostly abandoned here (and the remaining elements, poorly done), I don't see much point - the gameplay alone is certainly not enticing.
  5. Jun 2, 2012
    Really Rockstar? Let's cut through the chase. Why are video game sales down so much? This game is a shining example of the problems with the video game industry in every way. (1) LONG LOADING TIMES. Who wants to sit through endless dialogs which are predictable and campy at best (ok, some of the campiness is expected, after all, it's Max Payne) ... When first starting the game you might be lucky to actually start playing the da** game a half hour later, I kid you not! There is no way to skip the cut-scenes! Unacceptable in every way.

(2) FORCING USERS TO CREATE AN ONLINE ACCOUNT. This fact alone has done me in, I'm sick and tired of every game publisher deciding (mostly through greed) to force purchasers of a game to create an online account. Are you kidding me? Twitter integration, and randomly forcing that down our throats at start up too? Has the game industry gone completely insane? Do you really think a game player wants all of this bs? Most people who want to play a game do it for relaxation and FUN. Hello, MCFly are you listening? Why do you think the casual game market is crushing large productions? Who the he** wants to wads through screen after screen of pure bs before even being able to play? When I want to play a game, I'd like to be able to start playing it before the sun has to come back up again! (3) Doesn't support a modern computer. I have a pro mac 17" top-of-line laster year laptop running bootcamp. I can play diabolo 3, Skyrim and everything else JUST FINE. This da** game, does not run in anything other than 1024x768, and then it doesn't even work. The graphics card I have is a 512meg Radeon HD 6750M I believe. All I have to say to Rock Star is ... I can't type what I want to! Ridiculous is an understatement. I'm done with the pinball joke of the heavy-weight productions titles of the video game industry. Really, goodbye Rockstar, EA and you other jokes of a company who worry more about keeping yourself employed and making a profit instead of thinking about THE USER EXPERIENCE.

off to all of them!
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    You cannot skip cut scenes. I started on the hardest available setting and died almost instantly. I went to restart and I had to watch the whole thing again. Every 5 minutes you get a new cutscene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one.
  7. Jun 2, 2012
    First of i have to say I have not tried the multi-player, I'm a single player kind of person, and in that I found the game play massively annoying, yes the game looks good, yes the environments are well done, yes the animations are brilliant and the story is deep, although the "I feel sorry for myself" drunk routine gets tedious. And I can even forgive the obvious console port issues. But the constant cut scenes totaly mess up the game play. The game constantly takes control away from you and forces you into a situation you would not normally jump into. For example, up ahead is a room full of guys trying to kill you, as you approach, the game goes to a cut scene, pushes you into the center of the room, and then "over to you", lucky on 3 screens you notice the transition back to you, otherwise your dead before you know it and you "oh was i back in control again". But seriously how many gamers run into the center of a room, and wait for people to start shooting before they start shooting back. And for good measure after every cut scene Max's weapon always goes back to the handgun, never mind if it actually has ammo or in most cases not, or if you already holding an epic auto shotgun. Once or twice I could forgive where it helps the story along, but literally every 10 to 15 minutes, bang cut scene, your not in control anymore. I so wanted to finish the game and explore the story. But I play games to enjoy them, not to feel irritated and frustrated by them. Expand
  8. Jun 1, 2012
    Listen Closely, (actually read carefully). IF Anyone, gives a game a 10 this is suspect, add to this the PC gameplay was pulled off Youtube Prior to launch. The game (single player is do able in a single sitting). Unless you love multiplayer, there appears to be little replayability. I recommend letting them fix some of the PC centric issues prior to you $59.00 US, plus 25$ something for a DISCOUNT on the upcoming DLC..

buyer be aware.
  9. Jun 4, 2012
    Is the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max Payne games perfectly melded gameplay and storytelling, whereas this does so incredibly clunkily. I am taken totally out of the game, and can't enjoy what I think is actually pretty good gameplay. Not to mention the visual "style" of the cutscenes is so blatantly trying to be "cool" it makes me literally nauseous. The saving grace is that the multiplayer is quite robust and enjoyable (and not interrupted by cutscenes!), so I think that's where I'll be spending my $60 worth of time. Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2012
    There are so many cutscenes that the game feels more like a movie. The game takes control away from you throughout the entire game. You get about 3 minutes of playtime and then another cutscene. In addition, the plot is terrible. Its another "damsel in distress" but you dont care about the people you are trying to save at all. In fact, they seem to do their best to make you NOT like these people. The cheesy camera effects were really annoying and the combat system is clunky and doesnt feel right. The cover system is pretty bad - it feels a lot like the shooting from L.A Noire. Basically, theres not much variance in the gameplay AT ALL. All there is to do is shoot guys the same exact way except in a different setting with tons of cutscenes in between. There just isnt ever anything different. Its insane how many cutscenes there are. Expand
  11. Jun 7, 2012
    A big expensive movie with sometimes a couple of fights.
    Impossible to save your progression as wished or as needed, it's btw a console game.
    Max dies every 30 seconds, nearly impossible to accurately aim, even with laser help.
    This game is exhausting and upset me. When you just start to feal immersed, a cut scene ruins the experience.
    50 â
  12. Jun 1, 2012
    I've played about 5 hours worth at this point, and here's my initial impression: PROS: Visually, it's a very pretty game. The physics are good, the killcams are sweet, and the graphics are amazing. That's it. CONS: I'd just like to start by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of the Max Payne series. It might actually be my favorite. So, I REALLY had my hopes up for this one. Maybe this is a personal problem on my end, but I was under the impression that I bought a GAME, not a damned MOVIE. Having a cut scene after every minor firefight isn't fun, it just slows down the pace of the game. Making most of them un-skippable is just torture. This is made even worse by the fact that every out-of-game cut scene is rendered at lower quality than the game itself.

On that note, my initial impressions that I made 2 years ago when I saw the first screenshots were correct: This is not Max Payne. This is **** Man on Fire. Which would be fine, a Man on Fire game sounds fun. Except this game is not called Man on Fire. It's **** Max Payne 3. Having every cut scene look like a segment from a Tony Scott film is NOT **** noir. Also, I'm not deaf, I don't need random subtitles flying at me every 10 seconds for two words of unimportant dialogue.

The controls on PC are a horrible mess, because this is an obvious console port. A **** flywheel for weapon selection? Are you serious? A flywheel that doesn't even WORK half the time? Max also changes the camera position randomly, bullet-dives into random objects far too often, goes prone for no damned reason when I press crouch... ugh. Add mouse accel into the mix, and it's just God damned unplayable.

I'm taking a break and coming at it again tomorrow. I'm only up the the part where Rockstar decided they wanted to try and make a Splinter Cell game, so maybe it's just that the beginning isn't that good. But my hopes have been thoroughly crushed.

Remedy, I miss you. Come back, please.
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    As a fan of the series I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beast, but I was soon frustrated by a couple of things: The limited control over the main character and unskippable cutscenes for example take away a lot of freedom from the player. The only way to exit a cutscene is to ALT+F4 out of it, because you can only pause and continue. Whilst the gameplay itself didn't lose charm the levels are small and the fights are heavily scripted. The cover system causes problems because it doesn't always work. If you don't mind a heavy consolized game and like playing with controllers instead of keyboards you might want to get it for PC, else wait for a Steam deal. Expand
  14. Jun 3, 2012
    I wanted a new chapter in the Max Payne story, but all I got is a generic grade B TPS. The Good: As everyone agrees, the graphics, physics and whateverics are great. And that's about it. The Bad: Triggers! Triggers everywhere!!! You open that door - three guys SPAWN behind you. Blam, reload. You kill that last guy - congratulations! Cutscene! Reinforcements arrive, take your women, raze your village and fart in your general direction. Ok, cutscene is over - you're in the middle of the room, hidden behind the flimsiest object around. Oh, and you're holding a pistol. Enjoy the epic gunfight. Speaking of cutscenes - there's more than enough of them (unskippable, to boot) to confuse you for the entire game. "Why am I doing that?!", "Errr, shouldn't I be shooting him instead of staring?", "Why am I not moving? Oh, cutscene over, right. Better press something.", "Goodness gracious! Why did I just lock the door behind myself right after I wandered outside in plain view of six mooks?". And if you're still willing to endure all that for the sake of good plot and characters - you don't get either. The plot is largely non-existent and amounts to "Where shall I kill today? Ah, right - in ". The characters around you give you no reason to care about them, they are there just to give you a reason for killing more brazilians. And there's one important aesop - it's ok to heavily drink on the job. No one seems to care, least of all Max himself. You drank two bottles of whiskey? No problem, your aim is steady as always.
    Maybe I'm too hard on the game. But it would've looked SO MUCH BETTER under the name "GTA: Sao Paulo" or, for lack of carjacking, "Brazilian Shooter 3D".
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very big, im guessing they thought that would make up for how awful it is, but all it does is make it boring all the way through.... I have 200+ steam games and many other big name games. There are only a select few I dont beat, those titles are ussually indie games, but max payne is among them. Max Payne 3 has Horrible characters, bad ideas, generic weapons, numerous eye flashing rave party cutscenes and a giant language barrier. Stop flashing unimportant words all throughtout cutscenes I get it he said "I'll have a drink" I dont need it shooting thru the scene. This just screams bad designers filling space for their crappy little cutscene effect. You'd think this game was made for spain or mexico, you won't enjoy a second of it if you dont speak spanish. Even multiplayer ranks are all in spanish... this is cool why? sorry but I dont understand a $%*ing word and therfore have 0 interest in multiplayer now. can't wait to rank up so I can google what my next rank will be. Max payne kills THOUSANDS of innocent people and doesnt even figure out who hes killing? He walks away from 50 gun fights killing fully body armored guys and everyone treats him like **** in the scene? This game feels like duke nukem, overhyped, linear, limited weapons, semi destructable objects and a D bag main character who says random quirky 1 liners over and over. This is a console port, the gun select is AWFUL. good luck pulling out that gun you just grabbed in less than 5 seconds, heres a hint you wont be able to. Max payne the D bag who kills everyone for fun WOO! I was drunk I didn't know what was going on so I killed everyone.... huh? Yea I won't be letting you finish your story Max, You giant cry baby, I mix painkillers and alcohol, I destroy my liver!! But my trusty sidekick says "You can always get a new one" like its not a big deal. Trust me, it is a big deal. If he really drank and took that many painkillers he would be dead by now. You don't get a new liver if you drink, they take you off the donor list. Expand
  16. Jun 6, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is essentially Duck Hunt 2012 with swearing and long cut scenes. A good-looking, well-optimized game that follows this basic formula: cut scene, pop-up shooting gallery, cut-scene, follow arrows to pop-up shooting gallery, LOOOOONG cut scene, long shooting gallery, cut scene, end chapter, looooong cut scene of Max drinking and puking. Due to the save point system, for the long shooting galleries you will have to start from square one if you die. And if you are playing on hard, you will die a lot. Still, the game is not really challenging, just frustrating and one-dimensional. I would give it a 6/10, but the game refused to load until an hour later of searching and trying methods from forums I fixed the problem. The exact same thing happened to me with LA Noire as well. Rockstar needs to beta-test their PC games more thoroughly and I need to stop buying new release PC Rockstar games. I would buy this on sale for $20 as a fun, quick way to spend a few hours before you get bored, but at $60 it is a shiny ripoff. Expand
  17. Jun 6, 2012
    Things I've forgot to mention - a lot of times you will be placed in the middle of firefight behind the cover which only protect you from enemies in front of you, while other enemies will come at you from everywhere.
    Also, that stupid "kill the guy who shot you" camera is useless most of the times - the enemy is behind the cover or you out of ammo. Whats even worse - you can't load from
    the last checkpoint during this moments. So you have to sit through all of this, then get the chance to load the game.
    The game has no straight rhythm - you will be constantly slowed down by unskippable cutscene. Sometimes you're in the berserk mode after good action, you killed all the enemies and want to kill more, you rush into another room and... cutscene. What the hell?!
    Oh, and that stupid video effects! All this shaky camera, light flashes, double vision, words coming out on the screen - it may be appropriate in the beginning of the game, but NOT all the time! Also, I don't remember getting hit this much, or having to restart the checkpoint in original Max Payne.
    One more thing - no grenades! Enemies has them, but you don't. And I don't see any excuse for this. Why, Rockstar, why?
    Two years of disappointment - first Duke Nukem, and now this. I wonder how Hitman will turn out? But I'm almost convinced now that it's going to be bad. It's a trend.
  18. Jun 2, 2012
    I'll preface this review by saying I only care for single player gaming, so I've not tried the multiplayer and I don't care if that is supposed to be a game's redeeming feature. I'm all about the single player experience.

And on that score, I'm disappointed by Max Payne 3.
    As a product, it's bloated (4 DVDs? Really?), wrapped up in far too much DRM and requirements to jump through hoops -
    why do I have to click through page after page of EULA? Why do I have to sign up to idiotic ideas like the "social club" when all I'm interested in is the single player game? As for game play - Why is it so full of bugs? funny freezes/pauses, poor controls, un-skippable and over-acted cut-scenes that appear all too often and are concealing really really appalling load times do not a pleasant gaming experience make, Rockstar.

Once you look past that, you will get to experience an average shooter, that's quite nice looking and a bit too much tied to rails for my liking. There are some nice touches, like the player only being able to carry a few guns and having to drop some if you want to do things like dual-wield guns - this is both handled nicely and realistically and brings a touch of thought to how you play the game.

But... I'm not sure it's actually a Max Payne game. Sure, someone's stuck the name "Max Payne" onto the player's character, and its clearly the Max Payne character's voice in the cut scenes, but the actual game doesn't *feel* like Max Payne to me.

I loved the first two Max Payne games so I really wanted to love this too, but I can't. If it was presented as a first person shooter in its own right instead of claiming the Max Payne heritage and getting it wrong then I might be happier to accept the game on its own terms - and for all the faults there is an average FPS with good graphics here.
  19. Jun 16, 2012
    Very disappointing game play. Too many movies. Overall much worse game than previous MP1,2. Game just isnt fun to play. Not worth the money. Very sory for missed chance.
  20. Nov 25, 2012
    My review is based on the PC version, NOT any console version!
    As a long time fan of the Max Payne series I have to say how disapointed I am by this drivel rockstar have seen fit to release. Lazy console port would sum this game up in short, but it would be unfair to label it thus without explaining why.
    Visuals first: Well, not too bad, But for a PC game I expect far more. I would have
    liked more graphical options. I would have liked to see some emotion in the faces of the characters, they all look so wooden. Everywhere you go or look just seems a little too empty. This is supposed to be a gritty dark game but it reminds me of the latest Duke Nukem in the way it looks.
    Storyline/acting: Not too bad as a story, sort of, but the acting is awful. Not hammy awful, just really crap awful. Even worse than Mark Wahlberg was in the film...If that is at all possible!
    Gameplay: Poor really. Too many interrupting cut-scenes. The cover system causes more problems and makes you just as vulnerable as standing out in the open waving a big "shoot me" flag. Many times I have been killed because an enemy flanked me while I was in cover and as I have turned to try and shoot them the camera has flipped around and I have ended up facing completely the wrong way. The camera need to see through pillars and walls when you are in cover and you turn, not whizz round disorientating you like it does now.
    There seems to be lots of weapons in this game, the only problem I have with the weaponry is that the targeting reticule is tiny and it can be hard to figure out where you are aiming in the heat of battle. I would have liked the option to have a cross-hair or larger, more visible aiming point. (unless there is one in the options menu somewhere that I have overlooked)? Controls: It feels like moving through quicksand sometimes. Camera placing issues aside, it feels hard to accurately target your enemies. The movement of your character seems sluggish and there also seems to be some form of inertia when you try and stop behind pillars or wall ends. I found myself overshooting and then over compensating on many occasions, not good when under heavy fire.
    Reliability: I'm not sure which Max Payne 3 some people are playing, but I have had many problems running this game. Several crashes. Screen lockups, jittering and stuttering. Running slow and then skipping to my death scene for no apparent reason (and yes all drivers are up to date, it's the game not my computer).
    Overall: If you can get this game cheap (I paid £8 for it) then it is worth all of the 4 points I have given it, and It might be worth persevering with. As for full price? I wouldn't waste your money...Unless some seriously good patches come out to correct the shonky camera, control, crash and bug issues.
  21. Jun 27, 2012
    Not a Max Payne sequel, and barely even a game. Just know that going in, and wait for a major price drop, and you might not feel cheated. It's a good action movie broken up by some very short, bland and clunky gameplay sequences. The movie itself, while cliched, is actually pretty good. The gameplay, though, just barely amounts to just another cover shooter.
  22. Jul 31, 2012
    Thank god, I bought it from Steam summer sale. I've always been a fan of Rockstar. I fell bad for writing this but I am really disappointed. I finished MassEffect3 Ext.Cut recently. Then, started to play Max Payne 3. First of all, I liked the cutscenes in the begining chapters. Later, it is getting annoying because at every door, max looks behind the door and says something meaningless and stars to shoot everyone. The story is really cheap and easily predictable. The game itself is, "I'm sure my time is running out" let shoot more bad guys, "I feel my luck is running out", lets shoot more bad guys especially, in the daylight at sao paulo. Why max has to be shooting bad guys in the daylight most of the time?. The final chapters are a little bit darker, I enjoyed a little. Multiplayer is an effort but after I finished campaign, I was too bored to play multilplayer that much. I liked the animations but it has some flaws. Sensitivity is too low even in highest setting. The game could be better. I think, Rockstar is too focused on GTA V. Conclusion, I am still looking forward to GTAV. Please do not give us cheap games while you are developing bigger games and using the Max Payne title to sell it. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2012
    While the game stays somewhat true to the original Max Payne play style, RockStar
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    It's a decent Tps but the problem is it's meant to be played with 360 and ps3 controllers. This means MP3 will feature a cover system to give you time aiming from behind your cover, OP moves like the shootdodge, Overshoulderview from gears of war to mess with your spatial awarness, zooming and slowing down to get 100% accuracy with whatever weapon like in cod, free camera for goons who can't turn the camera fast enough to aim. It's all stuff that doesn't belong to max payne games. I played it merely because there's no good tps exclusive on pc other than old games like Legions Overdrive, some mods, Gunz and the first Max Payne games. You can go on and play it but i think i'll go back playing the kung fu mod. Expand
  25. Oct 1, 2013
    Here is summary of this "exciting" game. Cutscene (unskippable) playing time will be MUCH LONGER than your game play time. Cutscene, press mouse, cutscene showing the result of your shoot, move, cutscene, shoot, cutscene, player positioned in a dangerous position, shoot, custscene........... cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, game ends.

boring film introduced by R*. Expand
  26. gas
    Jul 16, 2012
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    This is pretty much an interactive movie, you see 1 min of movie, then you got a 1 min shooting stage, if you pass it you go to the next movie and so on.
    If you die and need to redo a stage you will have to see again and again a short intro movie, and you cant skip it.
    Also, if you have to redo a session, the game
    will switch the weapon you are using with the standard pistol every time.
    Game is all on rails, you have zero freedom, its all heavily scripted, so there is absolutley no replayability, also the game is scripted in a manner that wanna be hollywood movie, so you must play rambo always, you cant choose to sneak or do something different.
    The game is a console port, as usual for Rockstar , not so bad as they did with gta IV, but still its not a good job, beside the graphic which imo is not so important, the problem is about mouse movement, which is for some reason clunky, it feels glued to the screen sometimes, very fast in game, very slow in the menus and super slow in bullet time... its quite bad and even tryin to change settings there is a bad feeling about it, any pc fps is 1000 times better.
    I can add also that the cover system plus the bullet time system adds a layer of gameplay wich is not really needed imo, and its not developed so good, max cant cover in many situations due to irregular surfaces, and / or cant detach so easily from some others.
    At the end i really hope that developers will return to develop games where GAMEPLAY is the core, not those kind of hollywood wannabe interactive movies.
    I give it a score of 2 cause the voice acting, the movie direction and photography are good, but as this is a game, i want a game not a movie.
  27. Jun 7, 2012
    It's just another generic shooter with the Max Payne name slapped on it to sell copies. Poor sequel to the excellent MP and MP2. Cutscenes and cover, cutscenes and cover. Blah. Skippable.
  28. Jul 19, 2012
    Ok, now I would like to know, why this game called "Max Payne 3"? Rockstar Games got a fantastic chance to create a superb action game... and a great responsibility not to fail Max Payne IP. Maybe (just maybe - Max is too slow and clunky) they made a good action game, but miserably failed MP series. Plain and boring storyline, irritating weapon system, useless and undeveloped cover system. Where is original Max Payne gone? I miss it.
    Burn in hell, Rockstar Games, really.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    I have to agree with wilddeer. I've played the first two Max Paynes and all I can say is this is nothing like the first two max paynes. The game starts with a 10 minute movie and then after shooting at people for about 5 minutes I get another 10 minute cut-seen. Which wouldn't be bad except after the cut-seen max always finds the dumbest place to stop and hide behind. Can't hind behind the steel counter, lets hide behind the 3 pieces of luggage in the middle of the airport. The other part I like about the game is the horrible computer A.I. it's always aiming at you (even through walls) and always knows where your at. I really love when after you kill the first wave and the 2nd wave magically appears and you have people shooting you in the back and since your health gets shot off so quickly since the computer always hits you and always hits you in the face. So here is the basic rundown of the game. First, 10 minute cut-seen, max then hides behind the dumbest object he can find and the shooting begins. You can either a) wait until your slow-mo bar fills up so you can actually kill somebody or b) try shoot at one of the 5-6 guys shooting at you at the same time at which point you get shot in the face. After the fight max always has some silly comment, which after hearing about him drinking or being screwed over for the umpteenth time you get to a point where you don't care. So in a nutshell, cut-seen, shootout, max **** cut-seen, shootout, max **** Fun...... Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2012
    Most of the reviews take up same points as I think so read them but some examples:

-Short gameplay sequences are broken up with long cut scenes which you cant skip
    -You shot someone in the head but the bulletcam/cutsceen show you shooting them in the groin
    - For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a
    move on.
    -The game also has a habit of switching your main rifle or shotgun to a sidearm
    -Often after a short cut-scene, you will be placed in a compromised position facing multiple enemies. I loved the first Max games but this I managed to play for 45 min before unsinstall.

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]