7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1928 Ratings

1. Jun 10, 2012
    There is everything great in this game, except the story. There is no characters written good enough to be interesting to me and to involve me in story as it was in MP1 and 2.
    The game is totally disconnected from first two parts and all characters are new except for Max himself. So I just run through it without caring too much about all that on "Hard" difficulty and is was still very satisfying. The combat is great, all bullet-time mechanics really improved and polished, great graphics and level design, great voice-acting. It is enjoyable game, you just have to keep in mind that it's not Remedy game anymore, so don't expect too much drama.
  2. Jun 14, 2012
    Wow! I bought the DVD copy of this game, and installed in on my Alienware m14x. I couldn't get the game to run smoothly at first, but with super fast response time from the Rockstar tech support, I was able to get the game running perfectly on near max graphic settings. This is one of the best games I've ever played! The graphics are gorgeous, if you have the machine to power it. This isWow! I bought the DVD copy of this game, and installed in on my Alienware m14x. I couldn't get the game to run smoothly at first, but with super fast response time from the Rockstar tech support, I was able to get the game running perfectly on near max graphic settings. This is one of the best games I've ever played! The graphics are gorgeous, if you have the machine to power it. This is the best way I can describe this game: Imagine all the greatest action shoot-em-up movie sequences ever made, and that is what every level is like non-stop! The characters are great with great voice acting! All the levels are unique in their design, which makes every action sequence fresh and extremely entertaining. I'm literally laughing with joy playing this game, and constantly find myself with my jaw dropped from all the amazing game-play. This game is flawless! If Max Payne 3 doesn't win game of the year, I will be in complete shock! Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    people...STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE CUT-SCENES PLEASE! my god, most of the bad scores in meta-critic is just because of cut-scenes, cut-scenes and cut-scenes, the cut-scenes are there to progress the story and the story is actually pretty engaging and the cut-scenes are almost unnoticeable after 2 hours of playing. and the mutiplayer is actually not bad, in fact, IT'S FANTASTIC, itpeople...STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE CUT-SCENES PLEASE! my god, most of the bad scores in meta-critic is just because of cut-scenes, cut-scenes and cut-scenes, the cut-scenes are there to progress the story and the story is actually pretty engaging and the cut-scenes are almost unnoticeable after 2 hours of playing. and the mutiplayer is actually not bad, in fact, IT'S FANTASTIC, it balanced(sort of) and it quite fun. but 3 weapons is annoying and the cover system is not bad and it made it more tactical (yeah, tactical) and the zoom is...useless, it should've been "E" instead of the right mouse key like in MP and MP2. so all in all, it's a pretty good game to go through. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    This game is awesome people just cry way to much. I can't get enough of the multiplayer and I will be playing the story again. Get this game now you'll love it
  5. Sep 26, 2012
    It's a beautiful interactive movie. But when I want to play a game, I want to actually PLAY the game -- not watch it. A great game for the "I don't want to think for myself" generation.
  6. Jul 23, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 single-player style. The visuals were incredible. The arsenal was varied. The controls were responsive and easy to use. The linear, cinematic format worked well. It was like an interactive action movie with a linear plot and constrained environment. I can see where people who are looking for an open-ended shooter might be disappointed by this and by theI really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 single-player style. The visuals were incredible. The arsenal was varied. The controls were responsive and easy to use. The linear, cinematic format worked well. It was like an interactive action movie with a linear plot and constrained environment. I can see where people who are looking for an open-ended shooter might be disappointed by this and by the numerous cut-scene interruptions of action. It didn't disappoint me. I was enthralled and didn't want to stop playing. I would have given it a 10, but I agree with what many others have said that the player should be able to skip cut scenes if they want to. Overall, though, I liked the game so much that I am now looking for another game with a similar style. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    This game is awesome, the gameplay and character movement are really good, the health don't automatically rises like most recent games, the graphics on pc are amazing and very good optimized unlike GTA IV. I dont understand that people complaining and giving zero think are just haters...
  8. Sep 18, 2012
    The story is great. So are the graphics. But unfortunately the gameplay isn't. I can't tell you in words, how f** frustrating it is to restart the game from a checkpoint that is set at the beginning at the level. The other bad thing is that you can't skip most of the cutscenes.
    And why do people and even professional magazines tend to rate a game by the quality of a conversion. When I play a PC game it's either good or bad and not well converted or bad converted. This one just is not as perfect as tests say. Sorry.
  9. Sep 22, 2012
    Frustrating, annoying and disappointing. Only giving three points because of great graphics and atmosphere. Other than that this game is an absolute rubbish. Such a great potential this game had was wasted by making it into some unplayable movie. Not only that, everything was heavily scripted, there were unrealistic hordes of enemies coming from everywhere, many action scenes wereFrustrating, annoying and disappointing. Only giving three points because of great graphics and atmosphere. Other than that this game is an absolute rubbish. Such a great potential this game had was wasted by making it into some unplayable movie. Not only that, everything was heavily scripted, there were unrealistic hordes of enemies coming from everywhere, many action scenes were ridiculous and could be compared to some B-class video movies of 80's etc. Couldn't wait to finish playing and uninstalling it. What happened to the gaming industry and who are they making these games for? Don't buy, it's a waste of money and time. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2012
    If you're like me, 40s with kids and not that much time to game, you'll want a great single-player, movie-like experience with lots of soul and grit. Max Payne 3 will give you that, a great 10 hour experience or so before it's back to your normal, boring non-uzi wielding day-job. Terrific gunplay, great gameplay, cool story, I enjoyed this one lots.
  11. Dec 8, 2012
    This game is an ATOMIC BOMB! The cinematics are phenomenal, the action breathtaking and the game-play extremely fun. I LOVE IT! I just wish the DLCs would add more to the single player experience. Right now, they're all augmenting the multiplayer experience only.
  12. Dec 22, 2012
    Juego de pasillos donde los enemigos van saliendo por oleadas, no te da nada más, ni puedes hacer nada más, imposible salirte del guión establecido, todo marcado con checkpoints, muero, reinicio, muero, reinicio, avanzo 10 metros, otra oleada, historia clásica.
  13. Dec 25, 2012
    Great game,as good as the first one.I've seen Max Payne evolve over the years and it never let me down.
    The multiplayer is extremely good,I've had a lot of fun.The DLCs are cheap and often useful.The SP was also great,the flashback part brought back some memories and even if you never played Max Payne before you'd still understand what this game is all about.
  14. Oct 3, 2013
    Unfortunately as much as I tried liking this game, it is a complete fail on several crucial levels.

PROs: 1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after

PROs:
    1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after 3-4 levels. It simply isn't that special. The amount of time spent improving the tech since the 2008 GTA IV release doesn't show.

2) Some of the levels have that special touch that makes them a genuine pleasure to navigate and explore, on the other hand, there is plenty of derivatively dull map design as well (perhaps, it makes the majority of this game).

CONs:
    1) Cutscenes. Constant cutscenes, to the extent of wanting to exit the game. I am at a loss as to what they were trying to achieve with a few hours of engine-rendered storytelling. Games are about doing, controlling your character. If I want passive storytelling, I'll watch a movie, engine-rendered cinematics (mo-capped or not) are no match for live action photography. Crappy shaky camera effects, interlaced wording flashing on screen (supposedly to emphasize the dire emotions communicated thus). Why undermine the medium? That was plain silly. They poured time and resources on destroying what the original Max Payne had been executing flawlessly with some drawn static comic book loading screens.

2) Writing. The cutscene annoyance's been amplified by the witless, moronic writing. I find it hard to put it into words, but it's simply bad and keeps repeating itself like hell: booze, remorse, need to push forward, "I am probably a fool for doing this, but hell..." Do they keep some emotional idiots at rockstar just for such scripts? Not to mention it sports a thousand film clich├ęs and blatantly rips off some of them (as well as ripping off some games).

3) Clunky controls. Poorly implemented cover system, that is plain unwieldy to use, not to mention you get shot 9 out of 10 times when using it. The floating camera mechanics is badly done too, you get shot when turning corners and take massive damage without even having the slightest chance of evaluating the situation. This leads to you having to replay those sections of the game, which hampers the sense of story flow and messes with your game progress (kinda like cheating, knowing that there is a dude behind the corner, so you jump out slo-mo).

The graphics is really nothing special either. Overall this game makes a silly impression. Sorry for all the artistic that went in to it (meaning the man-hours spent modeling and animating this turkey).
  15. Oct 19, 2013
    A bunch of shooting galleries inter-spaced with long cut scenes. Despite the decent graphics this game is simply not that entertaining. The fact that I had to sign up for a special account to play the game didn't help my opinion of the game.
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    This is a copy of 'wilddeer' review (see June 15th 2012). He/she said exactly what I feel about this game so I therefore used his/her words -------------------> Shooting gallery, cut scene, shooting gallery, cut scene, nothing, cut scene, shooting gallery, painfully long cut scene. Max, may i open that door? No, cut scene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutThis is a copy of 'wilddeer' review (see June 15th 2012). He/she said exactly what I feel about this game so I therefore used his/her words -------------------> Shooting gallery, cut scene, shooting gallery, cut scene, nothing, cut scene, shooting gallery, painfully long cut scene. Max, may i open that door? No, cut scene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cut scene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cut scene will look around for you. Expand
  17. Dec 27, 2013
    These jerks, you need to have a separate RockStart Account to play the game. I already have a steam account that's enough DRM don't you think? I want my money back.... How about a class action suit.... and new shoes
  18. May 25, 2014
    One of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quitOne of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quit **** and go be a badass. Expand
  19. Aug 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have just finished Max Payne 3, and to me it has way too many "minor" annoyances, to warrant anything but an average score. In my case I give it a 6. Too many times where you die because of Max Payne moving in some weirdo way, or having the game force you to defeat a person in a certain way that is definitely ridiculous (one fight where the guy is in cover behind a fence or something where you have to shoot the ceiling out from above him to get him out of cover...). Sometimes your left wondering how many goons each of these supposed rich people have at their disposal, too many of the levels just keep on going and goons just keep on coming at you. I like a long game but when the length is ridiculously done like in Max Payne 3, it gets too much.
    I liked the gun play, I liked how much bullet time control I had, I very much liked the graphics, too much whining about his life though inbetween shootouts.
    When I was done with the game I had a rather sour taste in my mouth and kept thinking "how many goons do I have to kill?" in essence it just seems like some of the fights on the different levels go on for way too long. That said some levels are very well designed, like the abandoned hotel, that level was beyond awesome, and would deserve something like 8 or 10/10.
  20. Nov 25, 2012
    Let me say first that I've never played any Max Payne games before, but I still got the story. The game does an excellent job to convey how broken Max Payne as a character really is. You don't see many protagonists that are drowning in demise and it is an interesting break from the **** testosterone-filled protagonists of other games. You really do feel for the main character and evenLet me say first that I've never played any Max Payne games before, but I still got the story. The game does an excellent job to convey how broken Max Payne as a character really is. You don't see many protagonists that are drowning in demise and it is an interesting break from the **** testosterone-filled protagonists of other games. You really do feel for the main character and even though I don't know how he lost his kid and wife, I still felt sorrow when he visited their graves. The game does an excellent job weaving it's narrative smoothly with the game play sections by having the player hear Max's thoughts every now and then. All the supporting characters are also well done. They are believable and voice acting is top notch. The game play is is also pretty fun. Bullet Time is great. I love how action packed each encounter is and how satisfying it is to clear a room of baddies with the last kill cam being a slow motion close up of your bullet lodging itself deep into the enemy's skull. The game doesn't shy away from violence as it shows the gritty world Max lives in. The settings of this game is also something worth mentioning. From the favelas of Sao Paolo, Brazil to the gritty and dark concrete of New York City, the game does surprise me at every turn. I see some people here commenting on how cut scenes are prevalent, and they are, but it does wonders for this game. Cut scenes are used to dramatic effect and it really does add to this game. This is definitely one of the best games I've played all year. Expand
  21. ref
    Sep 19, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't a bad game, it just does not feel like a Max Payne game if you've played the previous two. The story is fairly straight forward in MP3, you're trying to rescue someone... in Brazil... in daylight most of the time, anyone who's played MP1/2 it does not have the same film noir feel as the others. That's the biggest problem I have with the game honestly, it just doesn't feelMax Payne 3 isn't a bad game, it just does not feel like a Max Payne game if you've played the previous two. The story is fairly straight forward in MP3, you're trying to rescue someone... in Brazil... in daylight most of the time, anyone who's played MP1/2 it does not have the same film noir feel as the others. That's the biggest problem I have with the game honestly, it just doesn't feel like a Max Payne game.

Besides that, it plays extremely well and looks great. Mechanics of the weapons feel and handle great, and feel 'realistic' while still maintaining that arcade-like feel the other Max Payne's had. Max is still voiced by the same guy and performs very well, it's just a shame his inner narration did not sound authentic. Sam Lake just has this great way of writing I suppose.

The score is also very unique, and for the most part, very good.

That's really all I can say, it plays great mechanically and looks fantastic, to me though it was not an authentic Max Payne game and easily could have been sold with another title. Oh, the 1/2 NJ levels were the best as they reminded me of the 'real' Max Payne I remember.
  22. Dec 26, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is undoubtedly an excellent game, the gameplay is very well maintained, full of details and nuances that make it quite striking (Whatever is the bullet time and animations during firefights make the experience quite unique and very entertaining) . The story, narrated by Max (The voices are very, very good), is very well developed, using a lot of cutscenes with a "comic" filterMax Payne 3 is undoubtedly an excellent game, the gameplay is very well maintained, full of details and nuances that make it quite striking (Whatever is the bullet time and animations during firefights make the experience quite unique and very entertaining) . The story, narrated by Max (The voices are very, very good), is very well developed, using a lot of cutscenes with a "comic" filter (A reference to the other Max Payne). That this for many was a major snag as there are many scenes where want to do something on their own but the game does a cutscene, which makes it very casual parties, since it seems more a movie than a game, not even the majority can be skipped. In paragraph audiovisual technology and Rockstar did a great job, works very fluid, uses advanced DirectX 11 effects, and the soundtrack and the sounds of the weapons are manicured. The multiplayer, pretty simple, serves to fill, not addicting and matchmaking is pretty bad, sometimes entertaining, but the campaign is enough (about 15 hours). Definitely a game is recommended for those who want a simple game linear and explosive style of Hollywood movies. Expand
  23. Dec 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MP3 is a great game - really cool shooter with all the best features taken form previous MPs... All? Nope, unfortunately not, the story of MP3 is about one old dude, whose best time-killers to be drunk and to moan all the time about his hard life etc etc etc. All that he do - drink, moan, kill, moan... Pathetic.
    As an old-hard-boiled fan of MP I really hate Rockstar for killing Max's soul, the soul of noir, deep sadness, revenge moving stroy... Remedy was the best in creating MPs story (eternal respect to Sam Lake), I was really unhappy when heard about the deal between Remedy and Rockstar. At first there was crapped movie about MP, then...
    But in the end - MP3 is not that bad, as you may think from my review. Rockstar has balls in game developing business, the game itself is not total crap.
    I don't want to describe everything for too long, so I'll put it in a nutshell: it would be perfect if the game was named "Die Hard", but not "MP3". It's not Max Payne...
  24. Aug 20, 2012
    An adrenaline fueled behemoth of an action title, but the disturbing plot may be too intense for a few casual gamers, this is third person gunplay at it's most refined.
    The game however is held back by repetitive multiplayer and poor replayability.
  25. Aug 7, 2012
    I really don't know what to say about this game,it's relatively mediocre,but is very well optimized for PC,has amazing graphics.There are also some issues:The cover system is too solid,the game play feels like a rail shooter and the mechanics are very repetitive.So i will let the others judge it better.
  26. Oct 28, 2012
    Max Payne is back and he is angrier and more miserable than ever. I´d say Max Payne 3 is a decent 3rd person shooter. The game-play was fun and the physics and graphics very good. The story though isn´t really touching. I´d hoped for a deeper story and characters to sympathise with from Rockstar! So in a way MP3 is a dissapointment. Some lightglimps in the story but mostMax Payne is back and he is angrier and more miserable than ever. I´d say Max Payne 3 is a decent 3rd person shooter. The game-play was fun and the physics and graphics very good. The story though isn´t really touching. I´d hoped for a deeper story and characters to sympathise with from Rockstar! So in a way MP3 is a dissapointment. Some lightglimps in the story but most it just feels like a pretty cheesy transport actually. But like I said, still a decent shooter and I had quite some fun playing it. Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2013
    I love stories that center around its characters and delve into their psychological state. In this way, I found Max Payne 3 to be deeper than the previous two installments. On the outside, the story doesn't contain a thousand plot twists or go into unpredictable directions, rather its depth stems from its brilliant depiction of Max Payne. The simplest of stories can contain the mostI love stories that center around its characters and delve into their psychological state. In this way, I found Max Payne 3 to be deeper than the previous two installments. On the outside, the story doesn't contain a thousand plot twists or go into unpredictable directions, rather its depth stems from its brilliant depiction of Max Payne. The simplest of stories can contain the most intricacies, such as a House episode. Other reviews do a great job at explaining the pros and cons in the gameplay. There is a surprising amount of bugs and glitches for such a linear game. Many will get you killed, and considering the hardcore difficulty, it can be annoying. The difficulty is by no means a bad thing though, I love that a prominent developer finally has the baIIs to make a game that involves skill, and where where your HP gauge doesn't automatically replenish itself. Beating stages was very satisfying and the difficulty extended the duration of the story to a good 20 hours. Expand
  28. Dec 7, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game but its not for everyone. I loved the game, the action is great but the game feels like one long action movie where you play the shooting scenes and I can see some people having a problem with this. Once again rockstar succeeds with the story from Max Payne 3 even though it is not as dark as the previous two titles. Max Payne is also a beautiful game, this helpsMax Payne 3 is a great game but its not for everyone. I loved the game, the action is great but the game feels like one long action movie where you play the shooting scenes and I can see some people having a problem with this. Once again rockstar succeeds with the story from Max Payne 3 even though it is not as dark as the previous two titles. Max Payne is also a beautiful game, this helps when watching the cutscenes (unskippable). Personally I loved Max Payne 3 and fans of the series should play it the gameplay is much the same with a new cover feature, so it you like slow motion action look no further. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were groundbreaking and innovative games that were released more than a decade or so ago. Everything about them was awesome, like the never seen before bullet time, the cool looking comic-page cutscenes, and the amazing story and gameplay. Skip to 2012 and Rockstar release Max Payne 3, this time more different in many ways to its predecessors. Firstly, while theMax Payne and Max Payne 2 were groundbreaking and innovative games that were released more than a decade or so ago. Everything about them was awesome, like the never seen before bullet time, the cool looking comic-page cutscenes, and the amazing story and gameplay. Skip to 2012 and Rockstar release Max Payne 3, this time more different in many ways to its predecessors. Firstly, while the previous games were set in the cold, dark, snowy nights of L.A., this game is set mostly in the blaring heat of Sao Paulo, Brazil and I didn't really appreciate it because it didn't feel like Max Payne anymore. Secondly, the comic-page cutscenes are gone as well to be replaced with motion scenes and I was a bit bothered as well by this because it was starting to feel less and less like the Max Payne we knew and loved. Another thing about the cutscenes in this game was that there were too much and control was taken away from the gamer a lot, yet the cutscenes were awesome and worth it. I could keep comparing the game to its predecessors but I think you get my point.

Max Payne has a strong storyline supported by great animations and brilliant voice acting. No character feels or sounds cheesy thanks to the animations and the talent of the cast members. The animations, while although can't compare with Crysis 2 or God of War 3, are still pretty neat and clear. As you travel through the slums of Sao Paulo you begin to see the insane amount of detail put into buildings and the environment around you. The story is different this time around, Max is still haunted by the memories of his murdered wife and and child, but this time he is protecting some rich family. Obviously things don't go well and someone gets kidnapped and its up to Max to wreak hell and get her back. The ending was a bit predictable but overall, the story was very immersing. One of the main things we as an audience love about Max Payne is the amount of ass he kicks. The game has strong violence and strong language as well yet in a game like this you cannot have one without the other. As you face waves of enemies after enemies, you have no choice but to spray the walls and the floor with their blood. There a different guns to choose from yet all of them have the same objective: kill. The use of bullet time is really handy in this game and it is crucial for you to use it in order to survive certain parts of the game. Plus, the game looks hell cool in slo-mo.

Overall, while this game might be different to its predecessors, it doesn't mean that it is bad. It is a great game yet not a game worthy of then. I urge every gamer to play it.
  30. Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to a shooter-gallery that holds your hand and treats you like a drooling idiot!

I could mention and rage about the fact, that max payne took 100 steps away from his noir-feeling and awesome comic-strip-storytelling. I could rage about his MTV-like flickering tranistions in the unskippable chores of cutscenenes. I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing

I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing account-hell called "Rockstar Club".
    (after denying my fresh created account-data it gave me some random name and let me wait for another 15 minutes. Although my steam account should be enough!?)
    But I will start with the one (not even that) positive thing in this "Game":
    The Animations.
    Enemies move smoothly from cover to cover and dodge our bullets with well animated moves.
    But thats it. I can't think about one other nice thing the game contributed.

The Shootouts feel challenging but not right. Someone wrote that Max Paynes Cover IS the bullet-Time. And so it shouldn't feel so useless with forced in cover-mechanics and Insta-Deaths!
    The Gunfights are mostly a short coverbased casual-bore between the force-fed cutscenes.

The rest of the game seems to give a shat about he player and puts a fishinghook through our nose to drag us from one flickering cutscene to the next.
    Rockstar seems to think we are all brainless dumbsters. Too stupid to use a mouse and shoot at things.
    Best and most hilarious example is the first (short) "Tutorial" that makes us read how we move the mouse and press the left butten.
    Seriously!
    I couldn't believe how patronizing and blatant despising this looks.
    WTF?! You think I am too stupid to shoot at things in a shootergame?!

And why do you have to force me watching your flickering cutscenes for people with the attention-span of a hyperactive toad?! I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. This is just a proof of a failing gaming industry that chums up with the brainless crazies that swarm like zombies into a black friday shopping riot.

I really don't know if I have to feel sorry for you or feel angry. In either way I hope you get bankrupt after the cod-kiddies that consume everybit of your "interactive entertainment" are bored once more and need another stimulating kick in their burnt up synapses.

I regret even spending the little money on the autumn-sale on Steam for this abomination.

Max Payne 3. A maximum payne in the....

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]